752e65f7d683128704edf83adc77d274a089468f (resized).jpg
CEA9CE9F-7711-45C4-9A3A-387923C44427 (resized).jpeg
3F24EDDD-2F57-4755-88D9-06D143EE7626 (resized).jpeg
FB87FBC8-86AD-4E84-9246-26B3DAB11734 (resized).jpeg
DD4F9090-D9EA-4229-A02F-E80B96C50426 (resized).jpeg
5BB460F9-57E1-4FB2-8080-CE7A3A6062E3 (resized).jpeg
FE5ACDE0-29CF-4D05-B109-BBE5C0A7A9D7 (resized).jpeg
F1BA55A5-F717-43C0-9A42-56AED5F035D8 (resized).jpeg
There are 95 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 3 years ago

What is everyone’s stance on virtual pinball these days? I happen to think it’s developed quite well over the years and its increased immersion has made vast improvements with the introduction of high-end GPUs and 120 fps that pretty much depletes all sense of latency/input lag. Here is a video of my virtual pinball machine running Addams Family (one of the most graphic-intensive releases to date) running in native 4k 120 hz with maxed settings, powered by an RTX 3090. It has full force feedback including Siemens contactors for the flippers, slingshots and bumpers, a Stern shaker motor, a Data East replay knocker, RGB flashers, strobes, beacons, a fan, a gear motor, RGB underglow, a real plunger with analog nudging, a color display, 7.1 surround sound feedback with accurate ball tracking to emulate the psycho acoustics of a rolling ball and a real working coin door. Let me know your thoughts and opinions on virtual pinball as a whole. Enjoy!
5BB460F9-57E1-4FB2-8080-CE7A3A6062E3 (resized).jpeg5BB460F9-57E1-4FB2-8080-CE7A3A6062E3 (resized).jpegDD4F9090-D9EA-4229-A02F-E80B96C50426 (resized).jpegDD4F9090-D9EA-4229-A02F-E80B96C50426 (resized).jpegF1BA55A5-F717-43C0-9A42-56AED5F035D8 (resized).jpegF1BA55A5-F717-43C0-9A42-56AED5F035D8 (resized).jpegFE5ACDE0-29CF-4D05-B109-BBE5C0A7A9D7 (resized).jpegFE5ACDE0-29CF-4D05-B109-BBE5C0A7A9D7 (resized).jpeg

#2 3 years ago

I built a pretty awesome VP machine years ago, it was fairly top end at the time, but I eventually sold it for a real game. I thought the technology was just a little bit immature and really thought that Smooth 4K would be required for an immersive experience. Then BAM (I think) came out with the virtual reality pinball, I think that could be pretty cool too. I’d like to give this machine a go to see how far the software has improved

#3 3 years ago

BAM is more of a novelty than anything, but virtual reality pinball with a Rift S (soon to be the upcoming Reverb G2) coupled with full mechanical force feedback, surround sound tactile feedback and full cabinet nudging starts blurring the line between fiction and fantasy. The more immersion you have with an expanded feature set, the more convincing it gets. Did you install DOF force feedback on the machine that you built?

#4 3 years ago

I just got in the Asus Rog Strix XG438Q 4k 120 hz G Sync display and was benchmarking it last night. I decased it this morning and will be installing it into my cabinet soon. Here are some pics of the new display!

3F24EDDD-2F57-4755-88D9-06D143EE7626 (resized).jpeg3F24EDDD-2F57-4755-88D9-06D143EE7626 (resized).jpegCEA9CE9F-7711-45C4-9A3A-387923C44427 (resized).jpegCEA9CE9F-7711-45C4-9A3A-387923C44427 (resized).jpegFB87FBC8-86AD-4E84-9246-26B3DAB11734 (resized).jpegFB87FBC8-86AD-4E84-9246-26B3DAB11734 (resized).jpeg
#5 3 years ago

Nobody?

#6 3 years ago

It's truly incredible what's possible with virtual pins these days, and your posts look amazing. Impressive to see how far it's come.

However, I expect many that are obsessed enough with pinball to be on Pinside, aren't as enamored with VR and virtual pins that will never match a genuine experience.

Being disenchanted with looking at screens all day is part of what brings many to pinball in the first place.

#7 3 years ago

That looks cool! Also congrats on actually finding a 3090 in stock lol (I just got a 3080).

I like virtual pinball, it's fun, and I enjoy trying out a wide variety of games that I otherwise wouldn't have room / money for. I'll still take real pinball over virtual pinball any day. No matter how good graphics cards, displays, VR headsets, etc get it will replace physical pinball machines that exists in the real world. I would compare virtual pinball to racing and flight simulators (many of those are now impressive too, big Flight Simulator 2020 fan here haha).

I built the VR pinball cabinet below a few years back, it's to scale the first 20% or so of a real pinball cabinet. Well the cabinet itself was built by someone else then I added all the buttons, coin door, etc. I just picked up an Oculus Quest 2 and need to try some VR tables out with it. One thing I like about VR pinball is that it offers great immersion with excellent depth perception in 3D.

752e65f7d683128704edf83adc77d274a089468f (resized).jpg752e65f7d683128704edf83adc77d274a089468f (resized).jpg

#8 3 years ago

Virtual pinball is awesome. It's not real pinball, but it is awesome in itself. I have a full DOF setup with firing solenoids and flashers and its immersive as heck.

#9 3 years ago

I definitely agree that it can never replace real pinball and I will always keep a real machine around. Sounds like a cool build! Have you tried out VR on it yet?

Quoted from nicoy3k:

Virtual pinball is awesome. It's not real pinball, but it is awesome in itself. I have a full DOF setup with firing solenoids and flashers and its immersive as heck.

#10 3 years ago

Even a 3080 is pretty hard to find right now. They look very powerful. The 3090 has ample power and headroom for laying on heavy effects and post-processing that really increase the realism. That looks like a super cool VR pinsim! I typically use my full size cab in VR with force feedback, but I love the idea of having a smaller, dedicated VR machine.

Quoted from PanzerFreak:

That looks cool! Also congrats on actually finding a 3090 in stock lol (I just got a 3080).
I like virtual pinball, it's fun, and I enjoy trying out a wide variety of games that I otherwise wouldn't have room / money for. I'll still take real pinball over virtual pinball any day. No matter how good graphics cards, displays, VR headsets, etc get it will replace physical pinball machines that exists in the real world. I would compare virtual pinball to racing and flight simulators (many of those are now impressive too, big Flight Simulator 2020 fan here haha).
I built the VR pinball cabinet below a few years back, it's to scale the first 20% or so of a real pinball cabinet. Well the cabinet itself was built by someone else then I added all the buttons, coin door, etc. I just picked up an Oculus Quest 2 and need to try some VR tables out with it. One thing I like about VR pinball is that it offers great immersion with excellent depth perception in 3D.
[quoted image]

#11 3 years ago

I know a lot of people hate virtual pinball but it’s because a lot of v-pins are cheaply made. When you put some serious tech inside it can make a world of difference with tricking your mind into forgetting it’s not real.

Quoted from Medisinyl:

It's truly incredible what's possible with virtual pins these days, and your posts look amazing. Impressive to see how far it's come.
However, I expect many that are obsessed enough with pinball to be on Pinside, aren't as enamored with VR and virtual pins that will never match a genuine experience.
Being disenchanted with looking at screens all day is part of what brings many to pinball in the first place.

#12 3 years ago

Keep an eye on the gpu temperatures; the first batch or so of 3090's are showing some rather high failure rates due to some shoddy work and cheap Chinese metal. Search youtube for examples. Hopefully you have ample room in the cab for good cooling. Keep your receipt!

#13 3 years ago

Thanks for the heads up! Mine actually stays much cooler than my RTX 2080ti used to. It still gets toasty but can stay on for many hours with no issues. I have airflow in the cab to help with this!

Quoted from LeonSpinkx:

Keep an eye on the gpu temperatures; the first batch or so of 3090's are showing some rather high failure rates due to some shoddy work and cheap Chinese metal. Search youtube for examples. Hopefully you have ample room in the cab for good cooling. Keep your receipt!

#14 3 years ago

Here is a new video for Attack From Mars! If you pay close attention to the lighting and strobe multiball mode, you’ll see just how smooth gameplay remains in the most demanding scenes. Also, make sure to check out the way the lights reflect on the ball itself as it rolls over inserts. It’s pretty incredible!

#15 3 years ago
Quoted from Jonosborne:

Here is a new video for Attack From Mars! If you pay close attention to the lighting and strobe multiball mode, you’ll see just how smooth gameplay remains in the most demanding scenes. Also, make sure to check out the way the lights reflect on the ball itself as it rolls over inserts. It’s pretty incredible!

Wow! I don’t see how Virtual Pinball can look any more realistic than that. Excellent job. The sounds mimicked the coils and were also synchronized very well.

You should create a build thread. I’d love to see the full process and build specs.

#16 3 years ago

Are you playing with VR at all? Your PC specs are crazy, I bet a high end vr headset would be killer.

#17 3 years ago
Quoted from Jonosborne:

I just got in the Asus Rog Strix XG438Q 4k 120 hz G Sync display and was benchmarking it last night. I decased it this morning and will be installing it into my cabinet soon. Here are some pics of the new display!
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

What size display is that XG438Q?

Pretty astonishing how good this looks. The 3090 is ridiculously expensive - you’ve got to have about $4k in this machine at LEAST. Where did the cabinet and such come from? And what O/S?

#18 3 years ago

Thank you! A lot of thought and creativity has gone into this build, but it’s definitely not perfect. We’re always learning through our mistakes! I wish I could let you guys try it in person because videos don’t really do it justice when it comes to the actual experience!

Quoted from Pinless:

Wow! I don’t see how Virtual Pinball can look any more realistic than that. Excellent job. The sounds mimicked the coils and were also synchronized very well.
You should create a build thread. I’d love to see the full process and build specs.

#19 3 years ago

Yes I use A Rift S currently and I plan to upgrade to the HP Reverb G2 when it releases! The 3090 in VR is pretty incredible with all the force feedback. It is a pretty indescribable experience!

Quoted from DudeRegular:

Are you playing with VR at all? Your PC specs are crazy, I bet a high end vr headset would be killer.

#20 3 years ago

I have close to 10k in this machine and it’s worth every penny. It’s one of the most expensive in the world and really pushes the limits of what is possible with virtual pinball at this state of its development. I’m always adding to it. I have a ramp diverter for Addams Family I need to add to it eventually. The cabinet came from Virtuapin and it runs Windows 10. The display is 43.”

Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

What size display is that XG438Q?
Pretty astonishing how good this looks. The 3090 is ridiculously expensive - you’ve got to have about $4k in this machine at LEAST. Where did the cabinet and such come from? And what O/S?

#21 3 years ago
Quoted from Jonosborne:

I have close to 10k in this machine and it’s worth every penny. It’s one of the most expensive in the world and really pushes the limits of what is possible with virtual pinball at this state of its development. I’m always adding to it. I have a ramp diverter for Addams Family I need to add to it eventually. The cabinet came from Virtuapin and it runs Windows 10. The display is 43.”

What.

$10k! Wow- something to look forward to in the next couple of years.

#22 3 years ago

This looks fantastic!! Nice work! Wish I could try it out

#23 3 years ago

That embedded video, it looks really smooth. Smoother than 60fps, did you record and upload that at 120fps? I think YouTube supports it now.

#24 3 years ago

You can do a pretty nice build for around $4000-5000, but I have spent a lot over the years on upgrades and add-ons that have pushed that price way up!

Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

What.
$10k! Wow- something to look forward to in the next couple of years.

#25 3 years ago

Thank you! If you’re ever in Denver feel free to hit me up and come check it out! It’s meant to be played, not to keep a secret.

Quoted from Mbecker:

This looks fantastic!! Nice work! Wish I could try it out

#26 3 years ago

The video itself is in 4k 60 hz due to limitations of the camera, but it captures the smoothness of 4k 120 hz pretty well. Initially I wanted to film in 4k 1/0 hz but my camera forces it to wide zoom for that mode, which stretches everything out, so it was less than ideal.

Quoted from Crash:

That embedded video, it looks really smooth. Smoother than 60fps, did you record and upload that at 120fps? I think YouTube supports it now.

#27 3 years ago

Ok. The motion blur probably causes the illusion even though the video was shot at 60fps.

#28 3 years ago

I just want to know how you found a 3090 card??

#29 3 years ago

My main pc has a 144hz monitor. I gave the pinball fx3 WMS games a try on it and was impressed by the smoothness. The difference is very apparent jumping up over a 60hz screen. I bet it would make a huge difference on a VP cab.

#30 3 years ago

Yeah I really wanted to capture at 4k 120 hz because it’s really hard to really show what’s happening in-person through a video. I hope the message got through anyway!

Quoted from Crash:

Ok. The motion blur probably causes the illusion even though the video was shot at 60fps.

#31 3 years ago

Haha I traded my 2080ti and some cash for one that I found on the local marketplace. I overpaid but I am impatient!

Quoted from mslow:

I just want to know how you found a 3090 card??

#32 3 years ago

You should install VPX and give it a shot! Another guy from Reddit saw my post and tried it last night. He was blown away by the results and you would be too!

Quoted from DudeRegular:

My main pc has a 144hz monitor. I gave the pinball fx3 WMS games a try on it and was impressed by the smoothness. The difference is very apparent jumping up over a 60hz screen. I bet it would make a huge difference on a VP cab.

#33 3 years ago
Quoted from Jonosborne:

You should install VPX and give it a shot! Another guy from Reddit saw my post and tried it last night. He was blown away by the results and you would be too!

I have one of the vpcabs vertigo that I run VPX on. I upgraded it beyond what it came with and then installed all the VPX stuff with a good number of games on it. I need to get around to trying VR with my main pc though since its specced a bit better.

#34 3 years ago

How do you like the Vertigo? I always thought it was a great idea in concept. I’ve owned a VP Cabs Wizard in the past and was pretty disappointed in its overall quality. The cabinet was built well but the electronics left a lot to be desired.

Quoted from DudeRegular:

I have one of the vpcabs vertigo that I run VPX on. I upgraded it beyond what it came with and then installed all the VPX stuff with a good number of games on it. I need to get around to trying VR with my main pc though since its specced a bit better.

#35 3 years ago

I played a one once and didn’t like the feel. But it seems there’s a lot of work in yours...details like the knocker...that sell the illusion. While I’m. It opposed to it, I would need to play a machine like yours before I’m sold.

I guess what I’m saying is, like most people on this thread, I’m sold on the idea but haven’t played one that has convinced me to buy one yet. Your set up is certainly worth a closer look.

#36 3 years ago

My setup stems from playing virtual pinball and hating it. Most are pretty terrible and it’s understandable why people have a general consensus of distaste for the hobby. But like anything it’s all about what you put into it. If you do a budget build you’ll love it at first, but its novelty will wear off quickly and you’ll quickly find yourself wanting more.

Quoted from Ivanhoe:

I played a one once and didn’t like the feel. But it seems there’s a lot of work in yours...details like the knocker...that sell the illusion. While I’m. It opposed to it, I would need to play a machine like yours before I’m sold.
I guess what I’m saying is, like most people on this thread, I’m sold on the idea but haven’t played one that has convinced me to buy one yet. Your set up is certainly worth a closer look.

#37 3 years ago
Quoted from Jonosborne:How do you like the Vertigo? I always thought it was a great idea in concept. I’ve owned a VP Cabs Wizard in the past and was pretty disappointed in its overall quality. The cabinet was built well but the electronics left a lot to be desired.

It had some MAME games and the pinball fx2 stuff on it when I got it. I upgraded the PC with CPU, GPU, RAM and then went with VPX and select MAME games using the pinup front end. It plays well now that all that is done. I will probably end up listing it pretty soon. I would like a "pinsim" style controller for VR, but right now there are other projects ahead. The vertigo is great for how much (or little) space it takes. I really dig firing up a game that I won't have much chance to see in person and giving it a run.

#38 3 years ago

I’d really like a pinsim also, but I already have VR support on my full size v-pin with full force feedback, so it doesn’t really make sense for me to do at this point. I wish VP Cabs had taken a higher-quality approach with their stock systems. Their high-end products are definitely not the highest quality, comparing closely to a sub-par home build, at best. They don’t even use 24v for contactors and a knocker. It is 12v throughout, which gives it a cheap, novelty feeling instead of something more convincing. I think they are a great solution for someone who doesn’t know better. I’m hoping someone comes out with a commercial pinsim controller with high quality force feedback. It seems like it would be very simple to do with only a kl25z and a pc!

Quoted from DudeRegular:

It had some MAME games and the pinball fx2 stuff on it when I got it. I upgraded the PC with CPU, GPU, RAM and then went with VPX and select MAME games using the pinup front end. It plays well now that all that is done. I will probably end up listing it pretty soon. I would like a "pinsim" style controller for VR, but right now there are other projects ahead. The vertigo is great for how much (or little) space it takes. I really dig firing up a game that I won't have much chance to see in person and giving it a run.

#39 3 years ago

VR is the way to go. Would love to get a vrpinsim but hard to find with force feedback.....even if you pay someone to do it!

#40 3 years ago

That is a pretty awesome setup you have there, I love me some virtual pinball!! I ordered a custom ghostbusters themed Vpin from XGC in Australia with all the bells and whistles. It’s due to arrive in a few weeks and I’m really excited for it. It’s a similar build as yours except running a 2060 super with the Asus 4K 120hz, shaker motor, force feedback, solenoids, virtual nudge etc... .

Of course Vpins will never replace the real thing but what I like is being able to test play a table virtually that I am interested in buying. Gives you chance to learn the rules and gameplay before you bring home the real thing.

#41 3 years ago

It would be so easy to wire a few 24v contactors inside for force feedback, etc. Typically pinsims have the first 10-12” of a pinball machine, complete with lockdown bar, glass and side rails.

Quoted from delt31:

VR is the way to go. Would love to get a vrpinsim but hard to find with force feedback.....even if you pay someone to do it!

#42 3 years ago

That sounds like a cool machine! You’ll have to let me know what you think when you get it. I’ve seen a few of that guy’s videos online. I will say that if you got solenoids they are likely 12v, which are not as good as 24v contactors in terms of punch and depth for the flippers, slings and bumpers. They are more clicky (think a weaker knocker). The solenoids sound cool at first but the novelty wears off quickly. Most “high-end” manufacturers (including VP Cabs and Retro Play) do this so they only have to worry about a single voltage instead. It won’t be hard to add a 24v psu and swap the wiring on the relays or mosfets to accommodate contactors. But these are all upgrades worth considering in the future. It’s important to understand that these machines will not be perfect when you get them. There is plenty of room for vast improvement and if you’ve spent that kind of money on a machine of that caliber, you definitely will want the electronics to match for the best possible experience. Do you have any videos of your machine? I’d love to check it out.

Quoted from Briks-707:

That is a pretty awesome setup you have there, I love me some virtual pinball!! I ordered a custom ghostbusters themed Vpin from XGC in Australia with all the bells and whistles. It’s due to arrive in a few weeks and I’m really excited for it. It’s a similar build as yours except running a 2060 super with the Asus 4K 120hz, shaker motor, force feedback, solenoids, virtual nudge etc... .
Of course Vpins will never replace the real thing but what I like is being able to test play a table virtually that I am interested in buying. Gives you chance to learn the rules and gameplay before you bring home the real thing.

#43 3 years ago
Quoted from Briks-707:

I ordered a custom ghostbusters themed Vpin from XGC in Australia with all the bells and whistles.

Do you mean XCG? People might want to know this...

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/do-not-buy-this-monster-bash-topper-unauthorized-use-of-my-art

#44 3 years ago
Quoted from Jonosborne:

It would be so easy to wire a few 24v contactors inside for force feedback, etc. Typically pinsims have the first 10-12” of a pinball machine, complete with lockdown bar, glass and side rails.

sounds good! lmk if you want to build me one and I will pay you! PM me....

#45 3 years ago

I can’t say that I’m surprised this is happening. There is another Australian v-pin company who takes the tables and sells them as part of the machine, which a lot of table authors feel is selling their work that they give us for free. They have been asked to stop doing this many times, but continue to do it secretively. These two competitors often put Youtube videos up claiming to be the best virtual pinball in Australia to “one-up” each other. It’s a bit ridiculous.

#46 3 years ago

I’m going to be shooting another video tonight for Cirqus Voltaire. It’s another graphic-intensive game that needs a lot of horsepower to run properly. If anyone has a game title in mind that they’d like to see stacked up against its real-life counterpart let me know and I’ll see what I can do!

#47 3 years ago

I don’t have much time these days to build anymore machines, but it’s a perfect way to learn a great hobby!

Quoted from delt31:

sounds good! lmk if you want to build me one and I will pay you! PM me....

#48 3 years ago
Quoted from Jonosborne:

I’m going to be shooting another video tonight for Cirqus Voltaire. It’s another graphic-intensive game that needs a lot of horsepower to run properly. If anyone has a request for a game let me know and I’ll see what I can do!

Banzai Run?

#49 3 years ago

I can do that! I’ll let you know once it’s published.

#50 3 years ago
Quoted from Jonosborne:

Honestly, it looks like the real thing!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Roselle, IL
$ 67.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 41.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Loop Combo Pinball

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

26,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Auckland, NZ
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 65.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 35.00
Various Other Swag
JK Pinball

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 29.95
$ 53.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Hanford, CA
Machine - For Sale
Pleasant Hill, MO
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 35.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
Avid Creations Wireforms

$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 24.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

€ 47.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 39.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 119.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 95 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/virtual-pinball-in-4k-120-hz-with-an-rtx-3090?hl=pinless and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.