(Topic ID: 228707)

Virtual Pinball : i have a few questions about building one.

By Smart_Bomb

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 4 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by PinKopf
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 5 years ago

I am thinking about building a virtual pinball and have a few questions.

I am watching DIY youtube vids on virtual pins and i notice some people install the playfield tv at an angle, flush with the top of the cabinet frame and others install the tv level in the cabinet to where there is about 3 or 4 inches of gap at the back end area (below the back box), amd so,e install leds and flashers in that spot. What is the proper/preferred installation of the tv? Do i make it flush with cab or level in the cab? Doesnt the pinball graphics already account for the 3” or 4” within the graphics, with whatever lighting goes within the game?? If you put the tv in level and creat the gap, and the game graphics already so this, then you are doubling up on the “gap”, right?

Also, i seen one guy have the kinect in his to make the playfield move as you move to make it more real. Is this a good idea? I only seen one guy do this on youtube and ive watched tons of virtual pin builds. Is this not a popular option to build into the pin?

#2 5 years ago

The virtual environment simulates the depth of the playfield in the back - and you can adjust that to a degree, so technically you don't need that gap. Mine runs flush with the angle of the cabinet (so it is 1" from the top of the cab from front to back) and I think that works best. The flat ones (depending on the TV) will be too deep at the back end and probably have some discoloration or blooming from the angle you are looking at it. You would probably be better off to ask over at vpforums though on opinions though.

#3 5 years ago

How tall are you? If you are a tall person, you can sit the TV flat in the cabinet and mimic a deep DMD type cab and still be able to see "the ball" when it is at the back of the play field. Since this is 2D, if you are a short person, the "flat"set up will make it difficult to the see "the ball" at the black.

Rather, if you are not tall, you should consider have the TV screen on the same angle as the play field glass, and maybe even set steeper than the glass. Since it is 2D you want to be as high over the play field and glass as you can be.

People do all kinds of tricked out things to their VP pins. Translation: They get buried financially. Go as cheap as possible when starting out. If you like it-----then jump in with both feet.

I built a VP mini-cab. Then I got a pinball machine. I have not turned on the mini-cab in 3 years. I'm not knocking it. I had lots of fun with it. But the real deal is better, to me.

#4 5 years ago

I had mine at a slight angle, about 2" deep at the rear to 1" at the front, seemed to work well. The cab then of course still had the traditional shape so it was angled toward the player some additionally. Mine turned out great overall, running VPX, a 40 or 42 inch main playfield, I forget, with a 20 inch backglass monitor, and a 17inch lcd partially protruding into the main cab for the dmd. I went back and added in a sainsmart relay board and 8 solenoids for force feedback - I'd recommend planning for that from the start, FF was a must have, IMO.

When I was in it the kinect or Wii 3d head tracking stuff looked cool but had a lot of challenges. You'd have to read up at vpforums but my guess is that is still the case abs hadn't widely used... I may be mis-remembering, but maybe it required Future Pinball? VPX was the only way to go for realism and gameplay physics, at that time.

As soon as I transitioned to real pins though, the virtual machine lost it's luster for me - I sold it locally about 2 years ago or so. I'm personally recommend getting a real pinball machine, even if it's only one and a budget title. I guess I don't see the draw to go from real machines to the virtual, since it looks like you have some good games in your collection already. Unless you have the computer and many of the parts just sitting around, you'll spend as much or more on the virtual than a decent real machine would run.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/virtual-pinball-i-have-a-few-questions-about-building-one?hl=pinkopf and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.