Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 3,989 posts
  • 352 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 days ago by Smaug
  • Topic is favorited by 271 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

TFTC FlyerA (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    IMG_0466 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0465 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0464 (resized).JPG
    Top10pro (resized).png
    Top10pro (resized).png
    20240129_125402.png
    Fireballxl5 (resized).png
    2023-12-31 19.32.48 (resized).jpg
    2023-11-17 22.19.51 (resized).jpg
    2023-11-11 03.07.25 (resized).jpg
    2023-11-11 01.58.53 (resized).jpg
    poster2 (resized).png
    411392839_735139934899280_8496203559983449797_n (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider starfighter.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2717 2 years ago

I considered Plug & Play and may do it someday, but for now I just have the itch to tinker with building both VP and VR in my shop.

#2722 2 years ago
    Quoted from delt31:

You need a monitor. TVs, unless equipped with 120hz, will really cause a lot of ball stutter as many mentioned already. I'm just saying the price being charged here - you should either have a better tv or a proper monitor vs what they are giving.

I'm considering this one: Asus ROG Strix XG438Q 43

https://www.amazon.com/XG438Q-Monitor-FreeSync-Displayhdr-Non-Glare/dp/B07WDLV344/ref=sr_1_3

EDIT: Just ordered !

#2738 2 years ago
    Quoted from KSP1138:

The prices on some of those pre-built ones are insane.

I'm still doing build research, but I believe I can create a high end machine for 4K - 4.5K. Not knocking the guys that want a turn key for 8K, I just want to create and control the end result myself.

#2757 2 years ago
    Quoted from Briks-707:

The loss of contrast on the playfield display/backglass isn’t going to effect the player standing right over the machine, it’s anybody viewing from off center. It’s just old cheap tech & shouldn’t be used in a virtual machine at this price point. I have an Asus ROG 120hz in my full sized Vpin and it’s really eye opening after coming from playing 4K 60hz machines

What size/type monitor are you using for the backbox?

#2759 2 years ago
    Quoted from ronaldvg:

I am using a 32 inch full hd LG monitor as the backglass and a 14 inch Full HD as the DMD. See picture. I also added a picture of the Asus playfield screen.

Looks great ! I'm picking up the Asus and the DMD on Thursday. I was thinking a 28" on the backglass, but the 32" looks terrific.

#2763 2 years ago
    Quoted from ataritoday:

Wow, that asus monitor looks really nice. I think you guys convinced me that is the way to go…..
    Question, I have a Williams wide body cab I am going to be using for my build. What should I do for the back glass and DMD ?
    What monitors should I use and do I need to build a custom speaker section so a bigger monitor can fit there instead of a tradition DMD ?
    If I can find a picture of my original cab I’ll post it…. It had a CRT in the body of the cab…. . Was built before flat screens were really a thing….

I'm going with a 3 monitor build and have settled on this (amazon link) 15.6 for the DMD.
    EDIT: Finally decided on a 32" BenQ EW3270U for the backbox.

Using the images below, you can see a 28" would lose the bottom 1.5" of translite size and a 32" needs the speaker panel modified to width.
    A new Stern Translite is 16.1/2 x 25.7/8
    A 28" Monitor is 15 x 26
    A 32" Monitor is 15.1/2 to 16 x 27.1/2 to 28 (depending on the model)

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08JB1NKN5/ref=sspa_dk_detail_2
    28head2 (resized).jpg28head2 (resized).jpg32head3 (resized).jpg32head3 (resized).jpg

#2770 2 years ago
    Quoted from gregh43:

Starfighter do you build and sell. or know any builders out there other than commercial builders that will sell?

Sorry, I'm just building one for myself. The internet is full of builders, but most look pretty shady to me.
    Even though both have positive and negative aspects, I don't think you can go wrong if you stick with a Roland build or Aussie Extreme build.

#2782 2 years ago
    Quoted from DakotaMike:

I'm using a Williams Superpin cab. I should have about 1/2 in of width to spare. At least if the listed exterior dimensions are accurate. So should be good. Worst case I'll route out a bit of the side of the cab. But I'll post some updates once it arrives.

Looking forward to your updates. My Asus arrived today and I'm also going the Superpin Route.

2 weeks later
    #2793 2 years ago
    Quoted from IODMako:

Hey all. New to this thread and the scene in general. I am curious though. Reading through this and doing some research, it feels like Ultra VP is the best machine (to me). I love the 49" screen size and the dimensions of the overall unit being close/equal to the size of a standard pin. Lots of talk though about the 60hz screen. True, not optimal, but I can't find a 49" screen that is 100, 120, 144hz that IS NOT curved (let alone 4k)

I'm not sure if there are any 120hz turn key machines out there currently. If you decide to build your own, 120hz is just one of the many decisions you'll face.

1 year later
    #3491 1 year ago
    Quoted from gamera9:

[quoted image]
    Got a legends micro in November and I love it.
    Never thought I wanted a virtual pin until I saw pics of this one.

Guess that answers the age old question. "Why can't I play pinball while shaving"?

Congrats

11 months later
    #3893 3 months ago
    Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

Just came across this guy's YouTube channel, and I like how he reviews/presents newer tables.

I've been watching him for awhile and I agree, he packs a lot of info into a tight presentation.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider starfighter.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/virtual-pinball-club?tu=starfighter and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.