Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 3,991 posts
  • 352 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 days ago by Mr_Outlane
  • Topic is favorited by 271 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

TFTC FlyerA (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    IMG_0466 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0465 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0464 (resized).JPG
    Top10pro (resized).png
    Top10pro (resized).png
    20240129_125402.png
    Fireballxl5 (resized).png
    2023-12-31 19.32.48 (resized).jpg
    2023-11-17 22.19.51 (resized).jpg
    2023-11-11 03.07.25 (resized).jpg
    2023-11-11 01.58.53 (resized).jpg
    poster2 (resized).png
    411392839_735139934899280_8496203559983449797_n (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ronaldvg.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1537 7 years ago
    Quoted from markmon:

Windows 10 is way worse for a headless machine. As it forces auto Windows update constantly, you'll be constantly waiting for updates to install as you boot. Then it'll have a ton more tray notifications that need to be clicked away. You'll be pulling the keyboard out very often. A lot of this can be turned off but not all of it.

This disables every notification:
    http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/disable-all-notification-balloons-in-windows-vista/

And this disables the updates:
    http://www.howtogeek.com/224471/how-to-prevent-windows-10-from-automatically-downloading-updates/

edit: first link says vista but read the first paragraph, it is for every Windows version up to 10.

4 months later
    #1677 7 years ago
    Quoted from roar:

This is what I can when I run dmdext test
    d:\PinDMD\DMD Extensions v1.3>dmdext test
    [1] 2016/11/30 20:16:08.296 DEBUG | PinDMDv1 device not found.
    [1] 2016/11/30 20:16:08.327 DEBUG | PinDMDv2 device not found.
    [1] 2016/11/30 20:16:08.327 DEBUG | Checking port COM1 for PinDMDv3...
    [1] 2016/11/30 20:16:08.421 DEBUG | Error: The parameter is incorrect.
    [1] 2016/11/30 20:16:08.421 DEBUG | Checking port COM3 for PinDMDv3...
    [1] 2016/11/30 20:16:08.530 INFO | Found PinDMDv3 device on COM3.
    [1] 2016/11/30 20:16:08.530 DEBUG | Firmware: REV-vPin-01008
    [1] 2016/11/30 20:16:08.530 DEBUG | Resolution: 128x128
    [1] 2016/11/30 20:16:08.639 DEBUG | PIN2DMD device not found.
    [1] 2016/11/30 20:16:08.639 INFO | Added PinDMDv3 renderer.
    [1] 2016/11/30 20:16:08.827 INFO | Added VirtualDMD renderer.
    [1] 2016/11/30 20:16:08.905 INFO | Press CTRL+C to close.
    I actually don't even have a pinDMD.dll in that directory... I did for v 1.2.4... but 1.3 I just have 3 files, a NLog.config and ProPinballSlave.bat.

Try this:

dmdext test --destination=PINDMDV2

#1680 7 years ago
    Quoted from roar:

Thanks ronaldvg... but my pinDMD3 works fine... I was posting an example of what a good output should look like, Mudflaps is having the issue with his pinDMD2

Sorry, quoted the wrong post. I meant to quote Mudflaps of course

Hope it helps.

3 months later
    #1751 7 years ago

My winter project. My own Elvira Not completely finished, but completely functional.

ab32755b-952e-454f-a4b3-d030a5c36dfb (resized).jpgab32755b-952e-454f-a4b3-d030a5c36dfb (resized).jpg

#1753 7 years ago
    Quoted from TheCreature:

I think I'm in love. What build specs did you follow?

Was that question for me ?? I measured my TSPP and I built the cabinet myself according to those measurements, so it is exactly the same size as the TSPP. All metal parts are new Stern, 27" backbox monitor, 40" Sony playfield monitor, PIN2DMD RGB Led, 8 Siemens actuators, Pinscape controller for buttons and analog plunger. The plunger works with a CMOS sensor so no touching electronics on the plunger.

Software on it is VPX, FX2 with all tables, The Pinball Arcade and Pinball Pro Timeshock. DMD is working in all software (with DMDEXT) and there are only 2 buttons on the cabinet to preserve the "real" look. Actuators work in VPX and FX2 through DOFLINX.

Very happy with the cab as this is my first build ever.

1 month later
    #1771 7 years ago

What I am always missing in the discussions for the playfield is the amount of input lag the television or monitor has. This for me was the most important for that screen. After looking at all the options I decided on a Sony television with an input lag of only 16 ms. Some Samsungs and other television had an input lag of more than 60 ms. That is more than half a second lag.

So in other words, when the videocard of the PC sends the screen that shows the ball coming down, that will only be on the screen more than half a second later. That is not playable as the ball will have drained before you can press the flipperbutton if the ball has any speed.

The 40" sony I have can be decased easily and fits just in a standard cabinet size when decased.

Do not confuse the input lag with the refresh rate or anything, it is not the same. Putting a TV in game mode can make a lot of difference, but better check reviews of a screen before using as a playfield monitor.

In the US a Vizio is a good option as they tend to have low input lag. Everywhere else they do not sell them...

#1773 7 years ago
    Quoted from BorgDog:

Sorry, minor correction, but a ms is 1/1000 of a second, so the 60ms lag is 0.060 seconds, far from a half a second. that said however 60ms is noticable lag, especially on high speed action like a pinball.

So true, but I hope I got the message through. I hear a lot of people always complaining about the lag on a virtual pin. Choosing the right components makes a big difference.

#1781 6 years ago
    Quoted from Mudflaps:

Can anyone point me to the best way to get dmdext to work with PinballX?
    I've searched vpforums, github, etc. with no luck. I can play one PBFX2 game and then it crashes. I have the latest dmdext version.

Depends on how you start DMDEXT. I start it in a batchfile every time I start a new table and I use the -q switch (I think it is q) so DMDEXT stops after PBFX2 is stopped. That works great.

Also check if the file dmddevice.dll is everywhere the same version. It was on my system several times but with different versions when I had some trouble with the DMD.

#1788 6 years ago
    Quoted from Mudflaps:

Can you share the command prompt you use? I'm not sure how that would look if it started with every new table, especially with PinballX.

dmdext mirror --source=pinballfx2 -q

By the way I do use PinballFX2 with analog nudge using X360CE. With that program you can map axis from the nudge controller to a button and thereby you can make the table nudge with shaking the machine.

http://www.x360ce.com/

#1791 6 years ago
    Quoted from Mudflaps:

That's the script I use, too. No worky. I'll keep troubleshooting.
    How well does the 360 controller work with nudge on PBFX2?

It works well enough if you spend the time setting it up.

2 months later
    #1829 6 years ago
    Quoted from Agent_Hero:

Finally decided to try to set up something resembling a virtual pinball existence on an unused computer. I've set up MAME, other various emulators, modded Xboxes, a modded Wii U, custom firmware on PS3's, a Vita, PSP...a lot of different setups that I figured would be a decent bit of experience to get this working. What a mess of "complicated for the sake of being complicated" this endeavor has been. Several hours in and all I get is the VPX program opening to what looks like a whiteboard with diagram lines whenever I try to run a table. I'm pretty sure it's because my suchandsuch file isn't linked up to the script which talks to the dedicated .qrt extension running the palette diagram--just a matter of sorting it all out. At least the tutorials are better written than the Wii U stuff.
    Thankfully, I'm also now signed up to about five additional virtual pinball forums which each hide one supposedly necessary file behind their registration wall.

Nowadays there is the full installer file for VPX. I just tried it on my desktop PC which did not have anything VPX related yet on it and it is running fine just after the one click install. Maybe try that ?? Here is the link for the installer I just used:

http://www.vpforums.org/index.php?app=downloads&showfile=11573

edit: when you get the "diagram" lines you call them, try pressing F5 to play the table.

8 months later
    #1934 6 years ago
    Quoted from Crile1:

This table is fantastic! Visual pinball has really come a long way. Plays just like the real thing.

Did you know (if you have the B2S backglass) you can put that also on Advanced and get another backglass ? So impressive all in all.

#1953 6 years ago
    Quoted from gregh43:

Thanks for the Info. when i went to the Steam site. the Stern Pinball Arcade is $4.99 . i dont have a account with steam either. so do i need to register and pay $5 for that program?

Try to search for Stern and then look for "Stern Pinball Arcade". The main program should be free (it is here I just checked it before posting this) but the different games cost money so that can be confusing. In the search list it says "Free to play".

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#1968 6 years ago
    Quoted from jorro:

hi guys before digging ,can annyone tell me where to find unit3d or did this project die?

Project is dead unfortunately. The two french guys that started this stated on vpforums that they do not develop it further, as it was playable already. Actually VPX already overtook UNIT3D in almost every aspect and it keeps getting better.

1 month later
    #1974 5 years ago
    Quoted from Bendit:

News: No more WMS tables in Pinball Arcade (license expires June 30).

To be clear: they cannot sell them anymore as from that date, but if you bought before, you will still be able to play them.

8 months later
    #2084 5 years ago

Ok just found this on the German forum and it is too good not to share:

Good test for your monitor also

1 year later
    #2422 3 years ago
    Quoted from delt31:

I don't understand why folks are buying big bulky virtual pins when you can get a VR system and play vpx in virtual reality. Not only is it a space saver but you get the depth that the 2d virtual pins can't provide which is HUGE. Yes you need a strong PC but still, you can buy a VR and amazing pc system for much less.

I can tell you. I use both. VPX with the Virtual addon, Zen FX2 Virtual and Zaccaria Virtual. I also have a great real size cab with every software on it, VPX, FX3, Wicked Pinball, Zaccaria and Pro Pinball. The hardware is a fast Ryzen 7 3700 with a RTX2060 GPU and a 43 Inch 4K 120 Hz Asus monitor with a real RGB Led DMD including Surround Sound Feedback and DOF lighting (755 RGB leds).

The feeling that you get with the real cab is out of this world. You can feel the ball rolling down the playfield, feel it hitting every post, feeling it drain. It has got a shaker, a knocker, a gear motor and even a chime for EM tables. Flashers can blind you like in GOT.

With VR you feel nothing, resolution is very low compared to the cab, the VR Glasses have a small sweet spot where everything is sharp, playing together with others is not possible in any normal way and also the music is pathetic compared to a good sound system with a subwoofer.

The only thing that is slightly better with the VR is the depth because it is 3D, but resolution wise it is not even close.I can tell you that the newest tables on VPX are SO good that you can forget all about the lack of 3D in a few minutes.

I always said that a Vpin can not compare to a real Pinball machine, but it is getting ridiculously close. With the light effects, video integration with Pinup Player and Pinsound integration, it even beats a lot of the real machines. Imagine playing STTNG with video's like in WOZ. That is what is already happening now. VR without the physical extra's will never be as good. In VR I am playing a game, on the Vpin I am playing Pinball !

#2423 3 years ago
    Quoted from Nepi23:

When waiting to get a pinstubby, there is always the Tankstick. Granted that it lacks the plunger and nudging sensors etc., but its a nice way to get to play the VR tables. One has to change the position of the flipper buttons though - for some reason they have put a lip to the Tankstick that covers a bit too much of the flipper buttons closest to the player. I think I would saw the lip off if I knew how to do it in an elegant way
    [quoted image]

What a strange setup you have got there. This is what I use for VR

20200918_012401 (resized).jpg20200918_012401 (resized).jpg
    1 week later
    #2432 3 years ago
    Quoted from rogerdodger:

Almost ready to order a 4K Virtual Pinball Machine.....
    Can you guys who have high spec Virtual Pinball machines, confirm whether your monitor has a 60hz refresh rate or a 120hz refresh rate?
    If yours has 120hz refresh rate, would you say it is absolutely worth the extra money for the monitor or is 60hz more than sufficient for most people?
    Thanks.
    Roger

I use the Asus 120 Hz 43 inch monitor and it is absolutely the best part of the machine. That and the SSF system. My previous machine had 60Hz and it is a world of difference. Highly recommended but only if you get a PC that can provide a good constant 120 Hz.

#2436 3 years ago
    Quoted from Westsiderkg:

I honestly dont think you will notice a different...eye test that is everyday, from 60 to 120...splitting hairs imho.

You have clearly never seen it. I was sceptical also, but the ball moves extremely better on a 120 Hz. Sometimes ball travel is very quick and on 60 Hz you really see the ball jumping from spot to spot.

My settings once reverted to 60 Hz after an update of a beta of VPX 10.7 and it was noticeable right away from the very first ball. Luckily it was only a matter of choosing the correct resolution/Hz and all was fine.

#2445 3 years ago
    Quoted from nickbuol:

What GPU is required for 120Hz 4k?
    I have a pretty powerful setup with an i7-8700K cpu, and a GTX1080 overclocked (This one to be exact: amazon.com link ») card for use with my Acer ET430K monitor, but now this 120Hz bug is biting... Not that I have an extra $1100 laying around to upgrade, but I am wondering what else it would cost me. New video card too I'm guessing? Google searching (with results from within the past month) are all over the place on what works for 4k and 120Hz with a recent article in PCMag stating that 120Hz 4K in a single video card isn't currently possible, but yet people report that they have been doing that with virtual pinball for a little while now.
    Anyone know? Or is it that the monitor is offloading the work and taking a 60Hz 4K input and internally interpolating it to 120Hz?

I know a friend of mine that uses a 1080TI with the 120Hz 4K screen and that works just fine. The myth that gaming is not possible on 120Hz 4K comes from the fact that most gamers that spend that much money want to run the latetst AAA titles on Ultra settings.

Our hobby is fairly easy on the graphics card, as most of the screen is not moving at all but very static. Only the ball moves. Also, if you would buy an Asus 120Hz monitor you could turn on Gsync. Gsyncs makes sure that when your graphics card is not able to provide a constant 120 frames per second, the refresh rate of the monitor is synchronised with the actual frames per second. Hence you do not get stuttering, provided the frames per second do not drop 50 percent or so.

Safe to say with a 1080 you will be ok for some time. I myself use a RTX 2060 and that runs everything perfectly.

#2475 3 years ago
    Quoted from ataritoday:

Hi All
    I think I’m going to take the plunge and build one of these things. I have a Williams wide body cab ready to go.
    I would like to have 4K, use SSF for the effects and think the movie clips and such playing on the back box display look really cool. Not sure if I want to wire up leds/flashers and such but might be open to it...
    What do I need ?
    I think I saw somewhere that the best monitor is a 39 inch pc monitor, which model is everyone using ?
    What monitor is used for the back box ? Does it mount vertically?
    For speakers do you need two sets ? How does the SSF work .
    PC - What graphics card is needed to push two monitors and 4K ? Interesting time for cards... maybe a 3070 when they become available . What processor ?
    Software... i am so far out of date. It’s been at least 5 years and it looks like things have changed a bunch.
    Thanks for any help.

Too much to type here, there is many info in vpforums.com, take a look there, but a few suggestions: go for the Asus 43 inch 4K 120 Hz monitor, it is absolutely the best. I am experimenting with an Oled but that has not been proven yet.

Also for SSF you need physical jacks for Rear and Side on the motherboard, so pay attention when buying the motherboard that ist has 5 or even more 3.5 mm jackplugs. You need one set of 2.1 speakers and 4 exciters. Then you hook up the exciters with two stereo amplifiers to the Rear and Side jacks and the 2.1 for the backglass to the Front out. If your motherboard does not have those jacks, you need to have an extra soundcard but be aware that Pinup Player can only use 1 soundcard, so that soundcard should have the aforementioned jacks.

GPU I would pick a RTX 2060, gets the job done perfectly. An 1080TI is also possible if you can find that cheaper/used.

Good luck with the build, it can be very frustrating but also very rewarding ! When you do not skimp on the essential parts, you will have a great experience with it.

#2476 3 years ago

never Mind

#2478 3 years ago
    Quoted from Raaalph:

Yeah, better keep it private! Another guy not caring about community and copyright + cracked pinball fx3 on cab...

Sorry what ??? For your info, the guy that made my Vpin just made the cabinet and the Vpin stuff inside. I put the rest of the hardware in myself and I have bought all the FX3 tables there are and they are running on Steam. For the rest I put on everything myself such as Pinup, VPX etc.

I took away my post because I got a lot of questions of people that want to buy it and I don't need that.

Really nice comment of you, tells me a lot about you.

edit: I see you accused another guy of something fishy also a few posts up. Nice going.

edit: not that I need to prove anything to you, but I hate being accused especially by you. I have a good idea who you are. I cannot imagine that anybody still buys stuff from you. See the attachment.

Schermafbeelding 2020-10-04 181739 (resized).pngSchermafbeelding 2020-10-04 181739 (resized).png
    #2480 3 years ago
    Quoted from Raaalph:

Sorry if there was a misunderstanding!
    I did not accuse you to use pirated software but instead your seller! I know that guy well and he’s the same sort as some vendors from Australia.
    The reason I know for sure is because someone I know serviced some of his cabinets.
    If you bought fx3 separately then you’re an exception and I apologize if my post could have been interpreted in a wrong way.

Ok, apology accepted, but please do not accuse people you do not know. This is the second time you have done this in a few posts. Maybe there are many more exceptions then you think and the world is not such a bad place. We can all happlily live together if we respect eachother a bit more.

2 months later
    #2498 3 years ago
    Quoted from northvibe:

does the asus or other 42-43" 4k monitors fit a normal too wide body WPC cab?

My cabinet has a widebody lockbar and the monitor fits with it casing in there with a little room to spare.

2 months later
    #2522 3 years ago
    Quoted from robey99:

I don’t know much about the virtual pinball world but looking to jump in. I currently own 9 mechanical pinball tables and would like to own many more but space and money is limited. As a result, I thought it might be time for a virtual pin. Does anyone have any suggestions for the top virtual pin manufacturers. I found one in Columbus called Rec room world. They make a machine called Ultra VP that looks pretty sweet. Any other recommendations. Definitely looking for top of the line with all the bells and whistles. And I am not building one myself. Thanks.

Please do build it yourself, or at least have it done by someone that is not in the business of selling those things. I have played the most expensive machines that you can buy from a few manufacturers, but in the end of the day, those manufacturers are trying to maximise their profit and not maximise the quality of your machine, and they should to keep their business going. For the price they are asking for their top machines, you can build a much better one yourself, or even have it made.

#2533 3 years ago
    Quoted from adamross:

Any advice for a noob like myself the simplest idiot proof way of installing VPX tables? Although I know my way around real tables, I'm fairly PC illiterate and found the process pretty daunting.

You have to find the table, the backglass and the rom. The table file ends with *.vpx, the backglass with *.directb2s and the rom is a zip file. Put the table and the backglass (make sure the name is exactly the same except the part after the last . so leave the .vpx and .directb2s intact) into the directory c:\Visual Pinball\Tables and put the rom file into c:\Visual Pinball\Vpinmame\Roms and leave it zipped !

It is possible that when your install is in a different directory or a different disk on your PC that the C:\Visual Pinball part is different.

When that is done, open the table in VPX and see if it works. If it gives you an error you probably have the wrong ROM file. Search the script for cgamename The ROM that you need is in quotes behind cgamename="heresthecorrectromfile"

It looks more difficult than it is, as soon as you have succesfully done two or three it will be easy.

1 month later
    #2551 3 years ago
    Quoted from Royale-W-Cheese:

After many talks back and forth going Aussie style.......I get to do quite a bit of custom items....woohooo.

You do hopefully not mean Retroplay ?

#2567 3 years ago

So sad to see Vpinball being offline. This is exactly why I always try to encourage people to build their own machine. To be honest, I once was called to help a guy with his machine that be bought "fully configured, ready to go" and it really was a mess.

After taking a good look we decided just to reinstall the system. Even the Windows was pirated and there was an fx3 on it which only worked in desktop mode (also pirated of course).

I will always tell people that are not inclined to learn how a vpin works and be patient and like to figure out stuff NOT to buy a virtual pinball machine. It will only be frustrating as there is always something to do. Some seem to think that it is less work than a real pinball machine, but I beg to differ.

Hope Randr will reconsider and come back. The a-holes that profit off of other peoples hard work will always be there. Only thing Randr now accomplishes is that the price of the "fully configured, ready to go" harddisks and systems will go up in price.

#2569 3 years ago
    Quoted from LynnInDenver:

I'm fortunate enough that I've gotten mine "dialed in", and even then it requires work, and I still have features I'm trying to add on. I've got an RGB flasher bar to install, a playfield screen to upgrade, and solenoids to consider. About the only thing I don't have to do is tune pop bumpers.
    I'm not sure the price of "fully configured" is going to go up appreciably. I suspect VPB going away will only result in a rounding error compared to the effect of the supply and demand issues on the electronics supply chain; many of the Lazy Commercial Sellers aren't selling to the community, they're selling to people who have no real clue.

Sorry to say but I have already been pointed out that there are people trying to sell the now "unobtainable" pup packs on Facebook. Disgusting. Sadly too many people suffer from FOMO so they probably sell.

4 months later
    #2733 2 years ago

I would like to add to this discussion that just looking at the Hz of a TV is not enough. Even more important is the input lag. The input lag is the time it takes for an action you perform (pressing the flipper button) to be made in the game and shown on the screen. Most TV's do not have great input lag exceeding 30ms and even up to 70ms.

I had a very good Sony TV, with the lowest input lag possible on a TV but it was (for me) unplayable. Too much lag. With the mentioned Asus 43" there is absolutely no lag, in none of the tables. In my testing I found that an GTX 1660 Super was enough even for the most taxing tables. I tested with Tales of the Arabian Nights 4K, Cirques Voltaire 4K and Batman 66.

Part of why everybody is so hating against vpin's is that the so called high-end machines are really not high-end. Just the price tag is. Only way to get a really good vpin is to make it or have it made by an enthousiast, not a commercial business. They just cannot make a really good vpin for reasonable money. Way too much work. And selling it with the tables installed is just immoral. I tend to agree that the makers of the tables also infringe on the IP of the manufacturers, but they do not get paid for it. If you sell a vpin with the tables and software installed that is for many people the main reason to buy them, even if the business that sells it claims they do not charge for it.

Also, if you do not want to make the effort of maintaining the system, you will get behind in updates and so on, even taking more away from a good experience. My advise when you dop not want to invest in the knowledge needed for a vpin would be: buy a real pinball machine.

#2734 2 years ago

After reading my previous post I feel I need to expand a little on the testing. The GTX1660 super managed to perform almost perfectly with the 4K Asus monitor, a Full HD backglass and a Full HD DMD screen. Average FPS was 116 FPS, which was very nicely smoothed with Gsync on, so no stuttering at all.

Adding a topper screen was too much for the 1660, that needed a RTX 2070 to keep everything smooth. I myself use a 3060 TI now as I could get one near msrp and wanted the headroom. A more expensive grapics card is not needed for the current and in the foreseeable future upcoming tables.

I also tested VR (Visual Pinball) and that does need a beefy card. Only from a RTX 3080 or a RTX 2080 TI you will have good results with VR and a Quest 2 or Reverb G2. That said, playing in VR does not give me the same experience as on my vpin, as you are missing the real nudging, real tilt, real plunger, surround feedback, interaction with other players etc.

#2737 2 years ago
    Quoted from Viggin900:

Does anyone know if there has been a 3D VP pinball game yet for non headsets? I would think someone could design a table for anyone using a 3d HD screen and you can wear the glasses. A pup pack retro creature of Black lagoon or TNA, using red/ blue anagalyptic glasses would work too. That would be so much fun and another reason VR rocks!

Looked into this, you can turn on 3D in Visual Pinball or Future Pinball like you mention, but a TV in portrait does not work with the 3D glasses (everything gets dark due to the polarised glasses and filters in the TV) and also tried red/blue but then the experience is just not the same. Resolution is bad and colors are all gone.

#2758 2 years ago

I am using a 32 inch full hd LG monitor as the backglass and a 14 inch Full HD as the DMD. See picture. I also added a picture of the Asus playfield screen.

20210905_225043 (resized).jpg20210905_225043 (resized).jpg20210905_225134 (resized).jpg20210905_225134 (resized).jpg
    7 months later
    #3062 2 years ago

Just finished my vpin. Started with only sheets of plywood. I spend a lot of time thinking about cabling and a system to be able to raise the playfield monitor up without taking it fully out and I must say i am pleased with the end result.

Put in things like magnasave buttons, tilt bob, shaker, fully addressable led back matrix, playfield leds and speaker leds, under- and backcab RGB, SSF, Kenwood speakers and sub, 15,6 inch FullDMD, Asus 43 inch 144 Hz ROG playfield monitor, 32 inch LG Backbox monitor, oh and the coin return button I rigged up as a button to drop the coins into the machine , service buttons that work, coin door switch that works, lockbar button, etc.

The tables that are coming out at the moment are very good and responding to Coyote : After playing for 15-30 minutes on a GOOD virtual machine, you start to get into the game and it begins to feel like a real game. Most people do not move a lot and looking at a good playfield monitor is ok from every side. Please have an open mind and visit someone with a really good Vpin, not a really expensive one, that is not the same. Oh, and build it yourself.

WhatsApp Image 2022-04-10 at 9.51.18 AM (resized).jpegWhatsApp Image 2022-04-10 at 9.51.18 AM (resized).jpegWhatsApp Image 2022-04-11 at 10.37.03 PM (resized).jpegWhatsApp Image 2022-04-11 at 10.37.03 PM (resized).jpeg

#3064 2 years ago
    #3071 2 years ago
    Quoted from Nezo:

Stunning build ronaldvg - do you have any more photos or details on the build (time, cost, etc)?

Thank you Nezo, I made some extra pictures just now. I kept track of the total cost and it was about 4950 euros but that is including some tools I needed and cabling and connectors for another 5 vpins which I am not going to make haha.

Time was about 2.5 months only working saturdays and included a lot of learning how to use the router for making all the aluminum profiles fit nicely into the wood. Every ledstrip is in such a profile, also the undercab and backbox leds. I know for sure I could now do much faster, but as I am finished I will probably never know.

Installing everything took me a weekend but I started from scratch. I do already know a lot about setting everything up and that helps in troubleshooting, which I had not much to do .

20220424_001816 (resized).jpg20220424_001816 (resized).jpg20220424_001844 (resized).jpg20220424_001844 (resized).jpg20220424_001857 (resized).jpg20220424_001857 (resized).jpg20220424_001903 (resized).jpg20220424_001903 (resized).jpg20220424_001916 (resized).jpg20220424_001916 (resized).jpg20220424_001936 (resized).jpg20220424_001936 (resized).jpg20220424_001954 (resized).jpg20220424_001954 (resized).jpg20220424_002448 (resized).jpg20220424_002448 (resized).jpg20220424_002531 (resized).jpg20220424_002531 (resized).jpg20220424_003423 (resized).jpg20220424_003423 (resized).jpg
    #3075 2 years ago
    Quoted from davijc02:

That cab is AWESOME! Post of some videos of that bad boy when you get a chance.

Thanks and here you go. Camerawork is not great, and I can only flip with one hand, but you get an idea. Hope the music stays in it. I tried to show some different things such as graphics, dmd, undercab lighting, ball handling of latest visual pinball.

LOTR:

INDY 1:

INDY 2:

#3080 2 years ago
    Quoted from gregh43:

I talk to a few people about buying a virtual pinball. the one guy is totally against it. and enjoys playing them on pc. I couldn't convince him how playing on a cab gives you the feeling of playing real pinball. this was his reason.
    "I would never buy a Virtual Cab Not atleast until the Software is Totally Revamped for Cab Use. I say either real Pinball Tables,Stubby, Or DT.
    With a Cab I just cannot get past the 2D Screen and One Size Fits All Approach.
    A Cab is supposed to feel like a Real pinballl table but thats Impossible to do with One Size Due to Widebody Tables like GnR, Old School Table Dimensions like Genie Etc.
    I Can Honestly Say I have never seen a bigger Rip Off Product Other than a Cab. Especially Considering its Running Freeware.
    For The Price of a Cab I would Expect the Screen to At Least Look Real"

This is different for everybody. What I know is that I have a vpin since three years and the tables that have come out the last year or so are so much better than anything before. I am in a group of pinball lovers and we all have real machines, but when we get together we now almost exclusively play the virtual pin. Just because you can choose whatever table you want to play.

At one point I had 7 real machines (4 JJP) and I rarely played them. Almost never when I was alone. The virtual one I play almost every day. After I had my first one, one of the guys bought it from me after playing it a few times and now I made a new one for myself. A third guy bought one also and even made an article about it in a Dutch pinball magazine.

The problem is that many of the "real" pinball guys will never ever acknowledge that a vpin is a lot of fun, just because it is a vpin. No matter how great they become. Look at my video's that I posted and tell me that is not looking like the real game. It is missing depth for sure but if you want to just have fun, your mind will get around that fact in a few games. That is my experience in having people over. You are playing the real game from the real software that is in the real machines.

It is just like with other things: Apple lovers say Android is shit, but that is based on nothing. Other people say a Kia is a bad car and only want a BMW. Fact is that a Kia breaks down much less than a BMW statistically but that does not matter to them.

At the end of the day, decide for yourself (after trying a real good vpin). I long accepted the fact that a vpin is not for everybody, but that sure as hell does not prevent me from having fun and being able to play almost every game there is. The purists that hate vpins will never be able to do that. Long post, now I am going to play some Big Bang Bar followed by Punchy the Clown

#3089 1 year ago

gregh43

Those comments just prove that the main thing I was trying to say in my post was accurate. No point having this discussion. I stick to the last I said in that post and will leave it at that.

By the way, real pinball machines are a rip off too, almost everything is these days.

1 week later
    #3115 1 year ago
    Quoted from Chimmen:

I’m thinking of upgrade my vp, from 120hz to 144 hz. And also graphic card 3060 to 3080. What you guys know and think about that?. Worth the difference? Future proof? Worth the money?

I am using the Asus 144 right now and I can not see the difference compared to the 120 Asus I had before. I am using a 3070 TI by the way and it can handle all tables that I tried on 144 and even somewhat higher.

For test I did put it back at 120 but there is no perceivable difference. I will keep it at 120 for now. I do see the difference between the new Iiyama 144 and the Asus monitors. I would definitely advice to buy the Asus (even the 120) instead of the Iiyama. Also stay away from using a tv, the ones I tested all have more input lag than the mentioned monitors. If you really want to use a tv, make sure you can test it before you buy it.

#3118 1 year ago

BrandonLaw : To be fair, the one in your link is a used and refurbished one with 90 day warranty . But this one is very interesting, the 120 version for 799 euro with full warranty. They also have the 144 for 1270 euro.

https://www.bol.com/nl/nl/p/asus-rog-strix-xg438qr-4k-va-120hz-gaming-monitor-43-inch/9300000019945790/?Referrer=ADVNLGOO002021-G-133405689242-S-1152965075416-9300000019945790&gclid=CjwKCAjw9-KTBhBcEiwAr19ig4R0KxKoRT007tllDJWT4gMGJzcc4WXGwla3U6TK5OFdzbHAv-GxthoCkCQQAvD_BwE

Also I think that he meant that the complete upgrade costs that much. GPU is very expensive at the moment so would not be surprised if it was around that figure.

1 month later
    #3166 1 year ago
    Quoted from TomN:

So my cmos battery died on my mb and messed up the video settings (amongst other things) with visual pinball. Currently I can play games, but some dmd video is missing, while on others the back glass art is gone. Game plays fine otherwise...I’m trying to understand what changed in the bios settings that could have messed up video settings? One thing I noticed is the monitor order had been switched. The back glass monitor became the primary etc...any thoughts from more experienced virtual pin owners? Not at a total loss, but it’s been a minute since I’ve really dug into these things.

Take a look at the screenres.txt file in the tables directory. You can edit that file directly or run the b2sserver setup again also from that directory.

If you are using pinup popper, also run the config display that you can find in the pinup system directory to see if you need to change something there.

4 weeks later
    #3204 1 year ago
    Quoted from Mr_Outlane:

I am surprised that there are no examples out there (that I can find) of a VP setup like the one I'm going to build.
    It's a very simplified and less expensive version of a pincab to fit in a smaller space. All it is, is a stubby cab design for controller with SSF and two 32-inch displays both mounted vertically (portrait) one above the other. The playfield display will be an Acer Predator XB323U 32" (2560 x 1440) IPS NVIDIA G-SYNC mounted to the wall with a proper wall mount that allows adjustment. The other will be a cheaper 75Hz 32-inch display for back box/dmd/toper vids etc. also mounted vertically to the wall above the playfield display.
    This will be an easy and relatively inexpensive way to enjoy VPX, FX3 and VR pinball. I currently own an HP Reverb G2 headset.

There was the Vertigo from VPcabs. I do not think they make those anymore.

vertigo (resized).jpgvertigo (resized).jpg
    #3209 1 year ago
    Quoted from Mr_Outlane:

Anyone use these products from France?
    https://shop.arnoz.com/en/

Yes, I have them in 2 vpins now and I like them very much. With all I have got in there (a lot) I only need the Rigmaster and the plunger board and 3D print, that is enough to have a lot of buttons and toys, but you can always expand with his system.

4 months later
    #3398 1 year ago
    Quoted from gregh43:

a Vpin doesn't hold value like a real pinball. for example if you build a machine or have around 8 grand invested in the project and after a few years wanna sell it. it will have depreciated quite or of bit. all the computer components and screens will have depreciated in price. I had a vp machine i had custom built around 4 years ago. I spent around $6500 on mine and when I sold it I was only able to get $2500 for mine . so instead of building one . look for people selling them . you might just get a great bargain at half the cost building one. I plan on buying a new one out of Canada. this company is blowing away the competition. way better than Ultra Vp and Thousands cheaper too
    http://www.woodstockcustomarcades.com/

My opinion is that it does not have to hold it's value. The software is constantly getting better and if you are able to upgrade some hardware yourself, it does not cost much after initial purchase. For me it is my most used Pinball related device, as every day there seems to be something new from the crazy talented community that is making things for vpins. Therefore you never have to sell it.

So, do NOT buy a Vpin if you plan on selling it or you are not sure it is for you, but if you decide to buy one, build one yourself

2 months later
    #3529 1 year ago
    Quoted from mikepmcs:

OK here's what I got among all my other software issues I'm trying to learn. When I try to add a full DMD, specifically the B2S with fullDMD that hauntfreaks posts up, They are always squishy. I need to make a table only change and not global.
    99% of my tables that have decorated dmds work fine. His dmd readme text is greek to me and the link no longer works that is embedded.
    I can download some stuff in the media manager like for Marty's M-I Limited Edition and it looks as it should for example.
    Any help is appreciated. Link to a video on this specific issue would be awesome I've searched high and low and nothing yet.
    Here's some pics. I need to make per table changes nothing that impacts games or setup globally. Thank you in advance. pics included of what I see.
    r/
    Mike
    [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Your screenres.txt file that is located in the tables folder is configured wrong. Look at the post in this link to see what al the numbers mean, or just run the B2S setup again.

https://www.vpforums.org/index.php?s=a27b82ce35b4c0250e22f4d8a94d7582&showtopic=19589#entry179173

If you want to change the settings for just some tables, copy the screenres.txt file and rename it to [tablename].res so for instance if you want to change the table with the name Attack From Mars.vpx, copy the screenres.txt and rename to Attack From Mars.res then change the numbers inside of the Attack From Mars.res file with a text editor.

#3541 1 year ago
    Quoted from mikepmcs:

Another good one. I've been messing with this game for about 3 weeks now trying to figure out how to make hauntfreaks "fulldmd" b2s's work. nope.
    Wish I could just drop his b2s files in the Apron/full dmd media square and call it a day. I can't get xxtablexx.res files to work as they just turn the backglass and dmd black. Guaranteed it's something on my end but it shouldn't be this hard.
    Roger Sharpe for the win. His boys Zach and Josh are decent humans. Great for pinball those 2.
    r/
    Mike

Maybe you need to update your B2S server?

https://github.com/vpinball/b2s-backglass/releases

#3552 1 year ago
    Quoted from mikepmcs:

I know you are correct on this. I'm SCARED to. Thank you for the link.
    I did see 2.0 is coming out. Looks like some really cool features.
    r/
    Mike

Mike,

If you copy all the files that start with B2S (in the Tables folder) to a backup folder, you can always copy those back to undo the update.

After you copied the old files, download the update files, unblock it (very important, right click the file and choose Properties, then on the bottom you can check unlock, then apply), then open it and copy all files EXCEPT screenres.txt to your table directory, overwriting the old files.

Now doubleclick the B2SBackglassServerRegisterApp.exe and you are done.

To revert back to the old version, copy the B2S files of the backup back into the Tables folder and again doubleclick B2SBackglassServerRegisterApp.exe

5 months later
    #3721 7 months ago
    Quoted from MrMikeman:

I have both real pins and a vpin. Screen delay is not a problem I have a good setup. I don't care about haptic feedback (fake coils). All I care about is ball feel and I am sorry but it's just not the same as reality.
    Table creators and ppl otherwise very involved in the hobby have a biased opinion and I understand they truly believe it's very close to the same. My personal experience with many different programs/versions and tables just doesn't match up to reality.
    I am not saying VPins suck. On the contrary they are super fun. That's why I have one. I enjoy it a lot. I will not pretend it's the same as a real machine however. While the physics have come a long way and are pretty damn good, there are way too many subtleties that the virtual world simply doesn't capture correctly or at all sometimes.
    Fancy flipper handling just isn't right. Examples of things that feel wrong or don't really work as well as reality: Post passing, shatzing, drop catch, whatever you call it when the ball is rolling slowly to the tip of the flipper and you can stop it with a micro-flip on a real game.
    Anyway that's my personal experience so far. Not saying it's the only one. The more you play virtual the better you get at it like anything else. It still doesn't make it "real". I find you can get better quicker at VPin than on a real game, because of that missing variability that seems to be hard to replicate virtually.

This discussion will never end, but I am replying to you because you say that you do not care for haptic feedback. I would urge you to reconsider that, because a good SSF setup is what makes my vpin more than just a videogame that emulates a pinball machine. It is the only thing that will make you feel the ball like in a real pinball machine.

I also have the same experience as Smaug, being that most of the people I know that have a vpin do not have a really good one. Expensive maybe, but not good. As Smaug also pointed out, the monitor that is being used as a playfield is very important. I did not see any TV yet that was as good as a playfield as the 120/144 Hz monitors that should be used, and also SSF (those are not the coils you mention) is a must.

As for the physics not being the same as on a real machine, I must agree with you, but I will also say that every real pinball machine I have owned and still own also does not play the same as another real pinball machine. Even two identical machines will play differently.

That said, I have my vpin next to a CFTBL and the vpin does a damn good job at playing almost identical to the real one. I could not say that two years ago, but things have changed dramatically since then. The vpin community is doing some great stuff and it is getting better almost every week.

4 months later
    #3919 3 months ago
    Quoted from Nds777:

What’s the difference between the openGL and dx9 versions?
    I thought gl was for vr goggles but it’s sounds like people are using it on non vr platforms.

I am using the OpenGL version on my cab as it seems to run smoother than the DX version. That said, sometimes the GL version has a problem with transparency and other things, then I just set the table up in Popper to use the DX version and that fixes it normally.

For instance, had a problem last week, ball did not go under the playfield but stayed visible everywhere. DX version was fine. I would say, just try both and see what works best on your system. Mine is set up with 64 bit GL version as default.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ronaldvg.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/virtual-pinball-club?tu=ronaldvg and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.