Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 3,989 posts
  • 352 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 days ago by Smaug
  • Topic is favorited by 271 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

TFTC FlyerA (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    IMG_0466 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0465 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0464 (resized).JPG
    Top10pro (resized).png
    Top10pro (resized).png
    20240129_125402.png
    Fireballxl5 (resized).png
    2023-12-31 19.32.48 (resized).jpg
    2023-11-17 22.19.51 (resized).jpg
    2023-11-11 03.07.25 (resized).jpg
    2023-11-11 01.58.53 (resized).jpg
    poster2 (resized).png
    411392839_735139934899280_8496203559983449797_n (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider roar.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1640 7 years ago

I'd put a shaker motor in before a knocker. Unless knockers fire more often than free games and I missing something, but a shaker adds to game play much more rather than firing during a random match sequence or when you achieve a predetermined score... besides it always scares the heck out of me when it goes off ... I'll take the shaker.

Edit: also if you're going 8 contractors you might as well go 10 imo.

3 weeks later
    #1660 7 years ago

I use x360ce for button mapping on PinballFX2... I haven't had Pinball Arcade on my cab for a while, can't remember if I was using it for that too.

http://www.x360ce.com/

2 weeks later
    #1665 7 years ago
    Quoted from Mudflaps:

DMD up and running. My Mot-Ion board is all whacked out, so next up is installation of the virtual plunger V3 for better nudging and mechanical plunger.
    Anyone running DMD with PinballFX2 or PBA? I downloaded the code to make it work but have been unsuccessful so far.

Are you talking about Freezy's dmdext? I run that for PinballFX2. Never really got back into PBA so I can't help you there. There is lots of support over at vpforums... http://www.vpforums.org/index.php?showtopic=34468&hl=

Where abouts are you in your attempts to getting it to work?

#1667 7 years ago
    Quoted from Mudflaps:

Yeah, it's Freezy's program. I messed around a little bit, didn't troubleshoot too much. My DMD read 'dmdext' but I was getting some weird errors. I'll continue to dig.
    The vp forums have been indispensible.

Have you tried to get it working from the command line before trying to integrate it into PinballX (I'm guessing that is the front end you're using). I'll post the string I'm using to run it from command line when I get home... we can see if it matches what you're running.

#1669 7 years ago
    Quoted from Mudflaps:

Yeah, I used 'dmdext test' on the command line and the image popped up on the DMD, but the displayed text said 'found DMD, but not pinDMD2' or something like that. I have a pinDMD 2.
    Will updating my C++ have any effect?

Umm... I'm not thinking so... I'm not quite sure if the steps to get it working with a pinDMD2 are the same as a pinDMD3 as that is what I'm using. You have a current pinDMD.dll and it is unblocked?

#1670 7 years ago

This is what I can when I run dmdext test

d:\PinDMD\DMD Extensions v1.3>dmdext test
    [1] 2016/11/30 20:16:08.296 DEBUG | PinDMDv1 device not found.
    [1] 2016/11/30 20:16:08.327 DEBUG | PinDMDv2 device not found.
    [1] 2016/11/30 20:16:08.327 DEBUG | Checking port COM1 for PinDMDv3...
    [1] 2016/11/30 20:16:08.421 DEBUG | Error: The parameter is incorrect.
    [1] 2016/11/30 20:16:08.421 DEBUG | Checking port COM3 for PinDMDv3...
    [1] 2016/11/30 20:16:08.530 INFO | Found PinDMDv3 device on COM3.
    [1] 2016/11/30 20:16:08.530 DEBUG | Firmware: REV-vPin-01008
    [1] 2016/11/30 20:16:08.530 DEBUG | Resolution: 128x128
    [1] 2016/11/30 20:16:08.639 DEBUG | PIN2DMD device not found.
    [1] 2016/11/30 20:16:08.639 INFO | Added PinDMDv3 renderer.
    [1] 2016/11/30 20:16:08.827 INFO | Added VirtualDMD renderer.
    [1] 2016/11/30 20:16:08.905 INFO | Press CTRL+C to close.

I actually don't even have a pinDMD.dll in that directory... I did for v 1.2.4... but 1.3 I just have 3 files, a NLog.config and ProPinballSlave.bat.

#1678 7 years ago
    Quoted from ronaldvg:

Try this:
    dmdext test --destination=PINDMDV2

Thanks ronaldvg... but my pinDMD3 works fine... I was posting an example of what a good output should look like, Mudflaps is having the issue with his pinDMD2

2 months later
    #1730 7 years ago

I don't have any trouble running both... stop in over on the vpforums for support, freezy is active there.

1 month later
    #1759 6 years ago
    Quoted from Pinstein:

Ive owned 2 virtuals and purchased them both. I'd like to get another but Im ready to try and build my own. To add to its novelty I was thinking of using a 55in or 65in tv for the play field. I'm wondering if anyone on this thread has made a herculian style table like this this? Or if there is any forseeable downside to going this large like having to move your head to follow the ball? Maybe the best way would be to build the system first and cabinet second in case the oversizing doesnt work? Thanks for any thoughts or comments.

I've read some threads over on vpforum's or vpuniverse I believe of people going larger than 46". If memory recalls I'd like to think they looked a little 'off' in that they were just too big. 46" fits in a modern widebody pin perfectly... well once you route a channel in it that is . I believe there are some older pins that were wider than the 90's Williams/Bally widebodys that may accommodate something a little larger but if you go 55" or 65" you are going full custom build with a custom lockdown bar and everything. I'm not sure about the 55" but unless you are over 6' tall with exceptionally long arms I'd have to guess the 65" screen would be down right uncomfortable to actually flip having the flipper button so far apart. A Hercules pin is 39" wide and a 65" TV would probably put you at about 35" wide... it wasn't any fun flipping a Hercules for any length of time.

3 months later
    #1835 6 years ago

That is plenty of power for VP... like plenty! I run a 960 video card on an i5 with no issues and I know others run with less than that without issue too. You will be in good shape with those specs.

#1840 6 years ago

I'm not dialing anything down. I do run in full screen with the Vsync set to 1 to get the smoothest peformance but I'm quite happy with it. I'm not sure if you'd need a beefier video card if you are planning on a 4K screen or not.

I've played the Pinball FX3 beta and it looks good on my backglass monitor, but with no cabinet support in the beta (yet?) I'm relegated to running it on the backglass so I can't fully judge how well it is playing yet.

#1846 6 years ago
    Quoted from Chosen_S:

What are the best latest releases (tables)

Lots of great stuff coming out these days... New versions of Monster Bash and Medevial Madness as well as new VPX versions of Indiana Jones and WCS94. There are just a bunch of great games out there... The Metallica LE and Spider-Man VE are great and have colour roms as well as a fantastic AC/DC with a colour rom too. If you are looking for some older games there is a really great Fathom too... no colour rom there .

#1847 6 years ago
    Quoted from DEN:

Hi guys.
    I am building a VP, have no problem running vpx williams tabels, but in stern tabels im missing GI light. Everything else works fine. Has anyone tryed that?

Are you running the latest vpinmame? Check in over at vpuniverse or vpinball.com for more support.

#1849 6 years ago
    Quoted from DEN:

How doo you install the mail screen? Alittle tilt or straight inline with the glass?
    Any pics?

People do it both ways, personal preference. I prefer the look of it parallel to the ground, no slant to it.

5 months later
    #1881 6 years ago
    Quoted from maffewl:

Hey all. I started a virtual pinball back in late 2013, and had to put it on pause. I'm now ready to start the project back up, but want to make sure my system that was built then, can still handle today's tables. I've seen some amazing stuff with VPX, and would like to run at least it and Future Pinball.
    That said, can I get some comments on my system specs (posted below)? Is this still able to run today's software/tables?
    Processor: Intel Core I5-3750K @ 3.40GHz
    Video Card: Asus GTX660 DC20-2GD5
    Ram: 8 GB (2 x 4GB) Corsair Vengence
    If you need more info, let me know. I'm using an early HD tv (Polaroid 4011-TLXB) with 1366x768 as the playfield and the ball looks very choppy. The edges don't look crisp either. Not sure if it was my computer or the tv.
    Any help is appreciated.

The processor and ram should be adequate... the video card is well under powered for today’s VPX tables. I run a gtx960 and get along but most people are putting better than that in their cabs. Your tv is a lower resolution than most cabs too so expect some loss of detail for sure.

1 month later
    #1915 6 years ago
    Quoted from nickbuol:

Too bad there have only been 3 total new posts there in the past year, and all three in the same posts, and 2 of those three are from the original poster just letting people know that he is still printing graphics for cabinets. I am sure that there is a lot of information out there, but other sites like http://www.vpforums.org/index.php?showforum=29 are more up to date, or better yet, hit up one of the many Facebook groups about it. Those groups seem to be the most up to date and active of anything.

These are the other sites I visit daily to get my virtual pin fix:

http://vpinball.com/
    http://www.monsterbashpincab.com/
    http://vpuniverse.com/

Haven't spent any time on facebook groups.

1 week later
    #1943 6 years ago
    Quoted from maffewl:

I must be missing something. I don't see the download link.
    http://www.monsterbashpincab.com/forums/topic/ghostbusters-le-vpx/

The UI is not terribly intuitive as far as I'm concerned. Think "image maps", hover over the playfield on the pinball machine and that is the link for the table. Read the directions for everything else you need to aquire on your own... like mentioned above you need two files from the Steam version of Pinball Arcade

#1945 6 years ago

Not sure why I didn’t just link you directly to the download page last time...

http://www.monsterbashpincab.com/ghostbusters-le/

You do need an account and have to be logged in if you’re not.

#1948 6 years ago
    Quoted from maffewl:

Thanks, still nothing. Just says the name at the top. I'm logged in. I don't want to derail the thread, so I'll pass. Shame though cause I love GB and it looks awesome.

Whoa... that's really weird... like your account isn't activated or something. This game is worth the effort of playing. Drop me a PM.

Quoted from gregh43:

MWong168 you mentioned you need to download the Stern pinball arcade off of Steam.do you need to pay the fee to download it? is there a link for GB where all the files are ready to go. where u dont have to download and configure differnt files to play it? Thanks

You don't need to pay for the game, the files are all included in the Steam download. Check the thread out at the forum, it says in there that once you grab the two files you need you can even uninstall The Pinball Arcade from your system. There are no links to all the files in one place, like anything else in the VP hobby it isn't plug and play type easy, you have to do a little work and a little reading.

#1960 6 years ago
    Quoted from RonSS:

Hey all, quick tv question :
    Given the chance to acquire a 49 inch 1080p for $200. Am I just being silly not getting a 4k?

For VP? I wouldn't bother with 4K if you can get a deal on a 1080p. There are 4K tables out there but personally I think it's overkill, I had a 43" 4K in mine a while back (Granted when there wasn't as much 4K table content) and the uptick in detail wasn't a game changer for me. I jumped up to a 46" 1080p when the opportunity presented itself and I'm happy there. 49" is too big of a TV for a bally/williams widebody cab, you'll likely have to go custom cab and custom lockdown bar if you go that large.

#1963 6 years ago
    Quoted from RonSS:

I measured length of interior cab at 43.5 strong. The tv has a rated "width" of the same. Figured I could route a little if needed.
    Too big?

Ah... okay... older Bally, those can hold bigger. Lots of folks, like me, built a cab from scratch and built off the 90’s bally/Williams widebody plans.

4 months later
    #2014 5 years ago
    Quoted from delt31:

hey guys - thinking about rejoining the club. If anyone is thinking about selling theirs (and it has force feedback - which would be imperative), reach out.
    Thanks!

Don't do it! You'll only sell it in a couple of weeks!

1 month later
    #2021 5 years ago
    Quoted from luvthatapex2:

That is a serious amount of work finding those clips in the 3 movies and applying them to the segments. Looks great!!!

I was talking to Terry on the weekend at the Ottawa Pinball show and I believe he said it took him a better part of a month to do it. Tons of work.

5 months later
    #2100 5 years ago
    Quoted from gregh43:

Thanks MeisterJim. Iam envious your machine is so cool! would you mind sharing out your parts build? I wanna replica of yours.

You could get a parts list from him and still not get close to how good this looks... his wire management is on point! This is one impressive build!

3 weeks later
    #2119 5 years ago

I had a pretty great vpin that I sold (amongst several other things) for a Metallica... which shortly there after spawned a TWD which lead to a LOTR... i occasionally feel inspired to build another Vpin when I see the likes of the new releases like TAF but ultimately I just go turn on my TWD and the urge passes. I’m a big supporter of vpin and believe it has a place in a bigger collection... but for my dollars and space constraints I’d rather have one or two real pins than one pimped out vpin. Obviously just one persons opinion.

1 month later
    #2132 4 years ago
    Quoted from DParcade:

Dumb question, but where does one begin? I've searched the threads and seen some really great builds, but am still struggling a bit to see the full build process. Any recommendations for those interested in starting a build?

I’d say head to vpforums or vpinball.com. Lots more active support in those places, lots of build threads... including my own over on vpforums in the cabinet build forum.

I took a couple of steps myself... first was get the software running outside a cabinet... once I knew I could handle that I knocked up a proof of concept mini like cabinet/controller with all the buttons and solenoids working... once I knew I could handle that I dug into the cabinet build after picking up a trim kit from virtuapin (Paul from the owner of vpforums), side art followed and endless tweaking but you get the idea.

Obviously a lot more going on than that but those are the broad strokes. Pics are in my build thread same user name there.

1 month later
    #2136 4 years ago

Good work on the VP... I like your solution with the slots to fit the bigger screen, pretty cool.

5 months later
    #2212 4 years ago

I read Scott was potentially going to release/help with the assets once the TNA run was over... I've been away from the vpin community for too long, really hope this got his blessing.

7 months later
    #2287 3 years ago

Have you talked to NoahFentz from VirtuaPin? He won't sell you a VPin with all the tables already installed... he will do you one better though and help you figure out how to do it yourself on a rock solid cab he'll sell you. Virtual Pinballs need maintenance. Learning how to install tables is critical in keeping one running. I'd *highly* recommend buying from someone who will support you... or who owns and operates the largest virtual pinball forum around.

#2290 3 years ago
    Quoted from gregh43:

Would Noah Fentz sell a machine with all the software installed? I would be interested in buying then

Last I remember reading is that yes, the software is installed... but the tables are not... but he will coach you through how to do that. That was my take on his services. The VP community very much frowns on people who sell virtual pinball machines with the tables included and they double down on their frowning when people sell discs or hard drive images with tables on them.

The exception of course is any virtual pinball manufactuers who have licenses PinballFX games... https://virtualpinball.com/ (He's a user here too but I forget his handle) used to offer licensed PinbalFX cabs, but not sure if that is still the case.

#2293 3 years ago
    Quoted from LynnInDenver:

Yeah, I don't know how "complete" Noah's software installs would be, whether it's just VPX and a front end, or if it would include all the other bells and whistles like a better DMD software for original tables (FlexDMD is so much better than UltraDMD) and PinUp Player for PuP-Packs. I also don't know if he's moving to provide a bezel option for a "full screen LCD" DMD area, many of the PuP-Pack original tables are being set up to support that now.

All great points... the virtuapin website would certainly suggest that his builds don't meet those requirements but I've always found him incredibly helpful and patient with all my questions. I built my VP ~5 years ago though, well before PinUp was a thing, though it did have a pinDMD3 in it, which I flipped to a PIN2DMD eventually due to the lack of support the pinDMD3 received. I'd certainly start with him with a conversation.

#2295 3 years ago

Thanks for chiming in NoahFentz

You'd be hard pressed to find a better person to buy a VP from.

1 month later
    #2352 3 years ago

I honestly don’t know why people in the states aren’t buying from Noah/VirtuaPin... he said he’d do anything custom you wanted... what’s the hesitation? Cost? Can he actually be that much more than having to get one shipped literally half way around the world? He will get on the phone with you and literally walk you through the process of adding tables... this is more than any other fly by night company offers as far as I know and he’s been in business doing this for years and years. He’s in the same time zone +/- 3hrs ans answers emails? I drove 8hrs return just to buy parts from him when I built my table. (Okay I also got to play one of the worlds greatest pinball collections when I did that so maybe that’s a bad example )

#2354 3 years ago
    Quoted from LynnInDenver:

Simple; many people really want a "ready to play when I get it home" solution. These are the same people who buy prebuilt desktop computers with shovelware installed. And the time to get it factors in as well... I'm sure the one local seller I've seen at the Pinball Showdown does get quite a few sales on the floor of machines he brings because it's almost instant gratification.

Hi hear you... but... From experience... it is my opinion... that buying from Virtuapin will result in a better, more long term experience as a buyer would actually know how to use the game they just bought.

VP’s are not set it and forget machines if you actually want to run the new VPX tables that get released.

If you literally never want to add another table I’d still recommend people in the states buy from VBCabs if they are still selling their builds with PinballFX preinstalled as that is the ‘easiest’ of the emulators to actually keep up to date.

Anyway... I know you’re skilled in the VP world, this isn’t a you challenge it is an a challenge for those looking for the easy way out when sometimes a little bit of effort will produce a better result.

I’d actually feel better if the answer was his cabs just cost too much, I just fear people buying these preinstalled cabs are being setup for disappointment in the long run.

#2357 3 years ago
    Quoted from Psw757:

He’s like 7k plus tax and plus shipping. Retro play over in Aus is $4200 US plus $850 shipping. I got a quote a few days ago. So yes, virtua pin is more expensive.

there you go... that is a factor I can get behind. Hope the saved cash is worth it and the Retro Play meets expectations and he supports you.

#2361 3 years ago

There cabs really do look good, I agree very very stern like which is cool. I like the idea of bells and chimes, that adds a lot to the EM tables. I think an EM table really shines on VP, there is a really sweet Star Wars EM game, the creator made an EM styled wedge head cabinet for it too.

#2389 3 years ago
    Quoted from Oneangrymo:

Just got my virtua pin delivered today while at work, sitting in my garage, can't wait to see what it has. Always wanted a Popeye, Diner, robocop etc, maybe I can just play those games on this machine and save the room!

The Diner VPX is an incredible reproduction, top shelf. The Robocop is really great too... I don't remember a Popeye one.

1 week later
    #2431 3 years ago
    Quoted from rogerdodger:

Almost ready to order a 4K Virtual Pinball Machine.....
    Can you guys who have high spec Virtual Pinball machines, confirm whether your monitor has a 60hz refresh rate or a 120hz refresh rate?
    If yours has 120hz refresh rate, would you say it is absolutely worth the extra money for the monitor or is 60hz more than sufficient for most people?
    Thanks.
    Roger

What is the cost increase to come from 60 to 120? And what is your total expense looking like? Can't see the price difference being a back breaker on the deal, get the 120 would be my reco and don't look back!

#2444 3 years ago

I don’t know anything about ‘Cosmos’ Virtual pinball machines... but $1,500 seems like a real steal... https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cosmos-virtual-pinball#post-5873108

1 week later
    #2474 3 years ago
    Quoted from ataritoday:

Hi All
    I think I’m going to take the plunge and build one of these things. I have a Williams wide body cab ready to go.
    I would like to have 4K, use SSF for the effects and think the movie clips and such playing on the back box display look really cool. Not sure if I want to wire up leds/flashers and such but might be open to it...
    What do I need ?
    I think I saw somewhere that the best monitor is a 39 inch pc monitor, which model is everyone using ?
    What monitor is used for the back box ? Does it mount vertically?
    For speakers do you need two sets ? How does the SSF work .
    PC - What graphics card is needed to push two monitors and 4K ? Interesting time for cards... maybe a 3070 when they become available . What processor ?
    Software... i am so far out of date. It’s been at least 5 years and it looks like things have changed a bunch.
    Thanks for any help.

You need to hit up vpinball.com it vpforums.com for much better replies... this thread is serviceable but if you’re about to take the plunge I’d recommend going to a dedicated forum.

1 month later
    #2497 3 years ago

Mel is a good dude... he was super responsive back when they were implementing cabinet play on PinballFX2, yeesh, that was a long time ago, this project has been a real long time coming, glad they found a partner like Arcade1Up to work with, I hope they sell a bundle of them.

2 months later
    #2518 3 years ago
    Quoted from Westsiderkg:

The following is a video of the Dragons Lair table: Video of table:
    And a link to sale ad: https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/109849

Really great job, the cab artwork looks amazing... I'd have to straighten out the Start and Exit buttons though, that would drive me crazy

edit: Noticed they were straight in the still pictures, but rotated in your video... so I know they can be straight you get one star back, 5 out 5!

2 months later
    #2579 3 years ago
    Quoted from Westsiderkg:

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/109849
    Guys, If you or anyone is looking for a new vpcabs wizard, loaded, basically new, without waiting several months from Brad to make you one, I have one for sale, ready for a new home today. Open to reasonable offers, please PM, tks everyone and stay safe out there!
    [quoted image]

Wow... this is a beautiful VP, I'm more than a little surprised it only lasted 3 months with you, hope it wasn't bad circumstances that require the sale, good luck with the sale though, it sure is a beaut!

1 week later
    #2592 2 years ago

Spectacular work!

2 weeks later
    #2599 2 years ago
    Quoted from gregh43:

looking to have a new virtual built. interested in anyone in the group that builds cabinet and backbox. would like to get a cab like Stern machines like the Led Zeppelin model. contacted Stern but they don't sell empty cabs . thanks

Check with Paul @noahfentz, wouldn’t surprise me if he has Stern like cabinet.

3 months later
    #2651 2 years ago
    Quoted from gregh43:

Mikepmcs have you explored the website and read the reviews or contacted them? I have sent them a email for some info. and got a fast reply back. in my opinion seems like a legit company. looks like the virtuals they sell come with pinballs games installed. I know that's frowned Upon in the Virtual Pinball Community. I dont support that. but in a good way if you are spending $1,000s of dollars on a virtual and no nothing about installing the software that's a Plus. the software can be frustrating and pain. I don't plan on getting a virtual from there . iam interested in a way better virtual more modern and up to date. I like the dmd style compared to regular dmd.

People just don't give a shit about intellectual property do they... I'm not talking about the table creators in the VP scene, the righteousness they feel towards their own abuse of IP is one thing, I'm talking about ripping off Stern and AC/DC! At least the VP creators aren't profiting from their work. It is one fine looking VP though, no half way about it... but man... the blatant disregard for other people's IP never ceases to amaze me.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider roar.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/virtual-pinball-club?tu=roar and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.