Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 3,991 posts
  • 352 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 days ago by Mr_Outlane
  • Topic is favorited by 271 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

TFTC FlyerA (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    IMG_0466 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0465 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0464 (resized).JPG
    Top10pro (resized).png
    Top10pro (resized).png
    20240129_125402.png
    Fireballxl5 (resized).png
    2023-12-31 19.32.48 (resized).jpg
    2023-11-17 22.19.51 (resized).jpg
    2023-11-11 03.07.25 (resized).jpg
    2023-11-11 01.58.53 (resized).jpg
    poster2 (resized).png
    411392839_735139934899280_8496203559983449797_n (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider nicoga3000.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#180 9 years ago

Any of you guys willing to give some specs/dimensions/plans on your builds? I'm contemplating building one...I would buy one, but (call me cheap) I can save a few hundred bucks by just doing it myself. Besides, I'd rather get the experience of building it and piecing it together. The computer part isn't hard, it's just the cabinet and monitor setup that I'm trying to figure out.

#182 9 years ago
    Quoted from shakenbake:

Ours are CNC cut so there's not a plan per say. I'd recommend hitting up mameman on the Hyperspin forum and see if he will make you a flat pack.

Oh cool - thanks. Yeah, if I could just buy a cab, that would help me tremendously as I can get refurb LED TVs for cheap. The cab though...Goodness, ha.

#185 9 years ago

http://www.woot.com/plus/vizio-led-smart-tvs

I'm thinking of buying a playfield monitor from these options. Super cheap Vizio LED TVs? Yes please. Will these work?

#190 9 years ago
    Quoted from luvthatapex2:

You have to know what size cab you are making/getting before looking at tvs. It matters.
    Generally a pin2k style uses a 37 inch, standard width uses a 40 inch and widebody WPC uses a 42 inch (or 46 if you want to cut down the sides). Figure out the style you want before looking at the tvs.

Yeah, I really have no idea what size I'd want to make at this point. Ideally, whatever is closest to a standard pin. Do widebody pins look odd on a non-widebody VP?

#193 9 years ago
    Quoted from markmon:

Nothing looks odd. It's all naturally scaled. Zen pinball are all wide body games. Id go as big a monitor as you can fit in your cabinet. You should also buy a monitor, test to make sure there's no noticeable input lag before you install it.

Problem is that I don't HAVE a cab to work with. I'll have to build my own or buy a cab kit!

#197 9 years ago

Thanks. Yeah, its tough. Really, I could care less if it LOOKS authentic, as long as the playfield, back glass, and DMD screens are all good. I don't need authentic side rails, hinges, lockdowns, etc. Just a good cab to store the goods in.

#199 9 years ago

Thanks - yeah, I will be designing with FX2 in mind. I've built my fair share of gaming computers. That's one thing I CAN do, haha.

#205 9 years ago

I like the look of yours bartoparacdes - very simple and to the point. That's what I want to do with mine when I finally decide to pony up the cash for the monitors!

#211 9 years ago
    Quoted from dendoc:

thanks to all for posting info on this. I have 13 pins at home at the moment, but would realy love to try out one of thes one day just for the variety. I own TOM and TZ, but still love to have a fiddle with the kids Ipad versions every now and again on pinball arcade.
    So which soft ware is best do you all th ink for a cab version? i've downloaded VP to try so far.

VP is far and away the best simulator available in terms of physics. I can't stand FP myself because the shots are all terrible - none of the geometry makes sense.

I actually enjoy Pinball FX/Zen Pinball. I find them to be accurate in terms of shot geometry, however the ball physics can feel off at times. It sometimes feels like the ball is SUPER heavy. I've also noticed that the ball seems to get heavier as you make progressive shots. Like, if I'm hitting a loop 3, 4 ,5+ times, it seems like the ball starts moving slower as that number goes up (but resets when I miss). I don't know, some odd choices...But the tables are fun, deep, and super imaginative. The fact that it's videogame pinball means there are no limits. I definitely suggest playing them if for no other reason than to say you have.

Also, everyone already knows Pinball Arcade. As much as I love TPA, I have zero respect for Farsight lately. Also, some flipper physics that they deem impossible (drop catches for example) are clearly possible as you can do them in VP. Still, they've done an OK job of recreating some of the classics. I would much rather stick to VP, though.

#217 9 years ago

VP is not nearly as hard to setup as it seems. It's a long process (read: 20-60 minutes depending on how many times you've done it), but it's SO worth it. I don't know how Hyper Pin or whatever the front end software integrates with VP and FX/TPA, but I'm sure someone knows how to get those to work together with no issues.

To answer the other part of your question - I would get VP installed on your current computer, download a table you may already have in TPA or have played recently in person, and see how you feel about the physics. I prefer VP to every other simulator for realism.

#228 9 years ago

Anyone have video of a virtual pin using leaf switches to show the difference in lag/response? I want to build one still, but I'm really worried about lag. The "you'll get used to it" excuse simply won't hold for me.

E: That TV you posted looks awesome and cheap. I kind of want to grab one, too...

#251 9 years ago
    Quoted from Luckydogg420:

I really enjoy the pinball fx table Epic Quest, give it a try, it's worth playing for a bit

This is one of my favorite tables as well. There are only a few I just can't stand (some of the Star Wars tables are terrible). Still trying to convince myself to just buy them all right now at 50% off, but I'm hoping they go on flash sale and hit 75% at some point...

#254 9 years ago
    Quoted from PW79:

I like the newest batch of SW tables like droids & etc but gotta agree half of the total SW collection = turds.
    Man I enjoyed the shit out of the Rome table. LOVE it! Maybe that's just because I watch a lot of documentaries
    I'm just gonna buy all the tables while they're 50% off. Prolly today. I'm sure my daughter & nieces/nephews will enjoy the ones I don't. So buy the tables nicoga, make it rain

Will do mang

Yeah, I haven't played the 2nd set of Star Wars tables.

Also, as soon as I take the dog out, I'll be buying some mad Pinball FX2 tables. Might as well just dive in and do it...

E: Bought all the tables. Smart decision. Got a lot of virtual pinball to play!

1 year later
    #620 8 years ago

I really need to build a VP mini + MAME.

6 years later
    #3263 1 year ago

I took the plunge and bought an ALP to treat myself for my upcoming birthday. I'm going to mod it to play VP and FX3 stuff. Just need to find a good PC build to make it work!

3 weeks later
    #3282 1 year ago

Got my ALP setup with Pinup Popper via OTG. It took a lot more effort than I initially anticipated, but it was worth it! A few things I still need to do (and would love help with if anyone has experience):

1. Figure out how to adjust the nudge settings in VPX. I have it set to button nudge, but on TWD, LOTR, and XMean, the nudge shakes the screen, but I don't think the ball has ANY movement.

2. I ordered some leaf switch buttons to reduce that little bit of latency. It's not terrible, but I'm very sensitive to it. It's the rhythm game player in me I think. They should be here in a week or so.

3. FX3 is weird. I can only get it to work with joy2key. I'd love to figure out how to avoid that since joy2key = lag. I love my FX3 tables, so figuring that out would be great.

4. I'd love an upgraded sound system. I think there are some options, but it's not a major priority.

5. I hear the haptics kit is super good. I may pick it up at some point since that's currently the thing I'm missing most - the response to the physical table. I know I'll never replicate it exactly, but a little bit will go a long way.

2 months later
    #3397 1 year ago

Honestly, I've been very happy with my At Games Legends pinball machine running OTG. I know it's not real size and is missing a few bells and whistles, but I'm in for a fraction of what these mega builds go for.

#3412 1 year ago
    Quoted from friscopinball:

Come watch gameplay of Game of Thrones VPX by Skillman tonight at twitch.tv/friscopinball!
    See you there

I'm super excited for this one. Love the game and will enjoy a virtual version!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider nicoga3000.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/virtual-pinball-club?tu=nicoga3000 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.