Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 3,991 posts
  • 352 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 39 hours ago by Mr_Outlane
  • Topic is favorited by 271 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

TFTC FlyerA (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    IMG_0466 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0465 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0464 (resized).JPG
    Top10pro (resized).png
    Top10pro (resized).png
    20240129_125402.png
    Fireballxl5 (resized).png
    2023-12-31 19.32.48 (resized).jpg
    2023-11-17 22.19.51 (resized).jpg
    2023-11-11 03.07.25 (resized).jpg
    2023-11-11 01.58.53 (resized).jpg
    poster2 (resized).png
    411392839_735139934899280_8496203559983449797_n (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider markmon.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#63 10 years ago

The flipper physics are so broken on VP. The 2 stage buttons won't matter. It's not like you'll be doing crazy ball control with the flipper physics the way they are anyway. I tried to test the new ton table last night. While the table quality was great in VP 9.2, the flippers were so far off they I considered it more frustrating than fun. Shooting up the middle is just nothing like on a real machine.

1 month later
    #76 10 years ago
    Quoted from DeeGor:

VP is a pinball simulator, and it's not going to be 100% accurate. Just like a flight sim is not exactly like flying a real airplane. It gets you about 90% of the way there. It's great for novice players who typically bat at the ball whenever it gets near the flippers or good players that don't mind that flipper physics typically are tailored to hit the specific targets on the table.
    For people like Markmon who play a lot of real pinball. They notice all the shots that you can't easily make in VP. Yeah, sure you may get lucky every once in awhile, but it's more luck do to the randomness the CPU generates than your skill.
    There is a test table that a VP author released a while back that had nothing but targets around the edges of the table and a pair of flippers. It illustrated the weakness in VP as there were certain areas of the table you could not hit with the flippers. You could eventually tweak the flippers to hit those areas, but then you couldn't hit others.
    Maybe one day this will get fixed, but until then it's a major flaw.

You're right on with VP flippers. But it's not because its a simulation. Simulations can be very good. The flippers in pinball fx2 (for example) are spot on. It's because there is no physics engine. I have some hopes that unit3d will solve a lot of these issues.

#78 10 years ago
    Quoted from 85vett:

Have you played on the Direct X9 version? Flippers seem to be a lot better on them. Not perfect but much better.

Those are sweet. Give my Tron table a try and let me know what you think Can be found on VPuniverse.

I have played all the versions as well as contributed to the VP code base. A friend a I planned to work on the flipper physics until we realized there is just no physics engine and the VP software just couldn't be fixed. (Even the ball is internally a square object floating on the table surface). I have played your tron table. And while it's very well done, the ball just doesn't move off the flippers anything even close to how it does in my real tron game. For one thing, shooting up the middle is way hard in your table. But this is normal unless you set some massive oblique values, which then adds blind spots towards the ramps. As I said, no physics engine. It's pretty unfixable without scrapping the whole thing.

While the pinball fx tables don't have hard physics settings and have (weak slingshots, not much bounce, close flipper gaps). But their flipper physics are just right on. The ball consistently goes where you aim. If they made tables with that engine with bouncier rubbers, stronger slings, I think they'd be close to nailing pinball physics in a virtualized environment. That engine implements ball spin and is much more usable.

#80 10 years ago
    Quoted from 85vett:

That's odd. You sure you've played VP9X version 7 plus? VP921 still has the same flipper problems but DX9 is much improved. I have zero issues hitting anything I want on the table. Center shots are simple as well and can be hit from either flipper (right flipper is tight but it's supposed to be). I've played a crap load out of real Tron's recently and they seemed to play real close to the recreation as well. Still wont ever say it's exactly the same but with Direct X9 version I no longer spend my time getting ticked because I can't hit what I'm shooting for. I've tweaked it a bit more than my released version though as it needed it with the new VP versions. If you'd like to give it a shot I'll share with you. I stopped releasing updates to it as I was just playing with personal preference things and not bug fixes now.

Where are you downloading the dx9 version? This is the special version Cupid was working on?

1 week later
    #93 10 years ago
    Quoted from 85vett:

That's odd. You sure you've played VP9X version 7 plus? VP921 still has the same flipper problems but DX9 is much improved. I have zero issues hitting anything I want on the table. Center shots are simple as well and can be hit from either flipper (right flipper is tight but it's supposed to be). I've played a crap load out of real Tron's recently and they seemed to play real close to the recreation as well. Still wont ever say it's exactly the same but with Direct X9 version I no longer spend my time getting ticked because I can't hit what I'm shooting for. I've tweaked it a bit more than my released version though as it needed it with the new VP versions. If you'd like to give it a shot I'll share with you. I stopped releasing updates to it as I was just playing with personal preference things and not bug fixes now.

Ok I played with this table on the dx9 test 13 version today. The performance and rendering in the dx9 version are great. But the physics is the same. There are several playability issues that are all caused by the physics engine and mostly out of your control:

1) at times the ball moves way too fast. It's unnaturally fast.
    2) the flippers are just way f'ed up and nothing like the actual tron uppers. Not even close. Shots that should have gone to the center were so far off. A center shot from left flipper hits the scoop. A center shot from right flipper hits the left target bank. The flipper shots to the scoop and orbits are fairly accurate. This is not a lag issue. It's the typical visual pinball physics. I was able to make your table better (but not perfect) by increasing the angle on the flippers by 7 to 296. Then upping the strength to 1.0 and lowering the speed to .30. Then remove scatter angle. Why would you want randomness added by software on the flippers? With these changes, it's easier to shoot up the middle. But things still aren't right.

I played a couple tables in unit3d. While that physics engine has some issues, it does not seem to suffer from the horrible flipper physics of VP and FP.

#95 10 years ago
    Quoted from boogies:

Markmon, outta curiousity, have you tried the newest version of Centaur? The table is pretty nice and gives you enough bounce to feel pretty good.
    Maybe I'm just thinking slower table = better flipoer control, but the ball control feels really good with the default flippers.

I don't have enough experience with the older games to compare the VP versions. The flipper shot angles are the issue. The whole reason oblique correction exists is to bandaid the problem.

#107 10 years ago

This physics engine does have better flipper physics, although it seems to have some other issues. But it is a big improvement. Will be interesting once it's more ironed out.

#117 10 years ago
    Quoted from gregh43:

Arcade I have one more question to ask you. I was wondering why most people use Windows XP to run VP?
    does it run better with XP? Iam in the process of building a virtual. would Windows 7 work as well or Use XP????
    Thanks again!!

In my opinion, windows 7 is preferred. There was a time when XP drivers for video cards resulted in faster FPS, but the software is moving to more modern OS. And you get better performance in games like Pinball FX and Pinball Arcade in windows 7 since they use the newer APIs. All my cabinets are set up with Windows 7.

#124 10 years ago
    Quoted from gregh43:

Thanks Bub and Markmon. Was thinking on using a I7 processor is that overkill
    or what is the optimum processor to run them smooth and no lagging?

I5 or i7 is fine. Video card is more important.

3 weeks later
    #150 9 years ago

There are lots of pinball simulators coming out, and supporting archaic real dmds just won't be in their charters. Even many of us with real pins are swapping dmds for led, color DMD, etc. DMD in a vpincab is a bad move with no real justifiable pro. A nice led monitor can look just as bright and nearly as black as a plasma dmd anyway. Why limit your flexibility.

1 week later
    #165 9 years ago

All my monitors have been gravity mounted. Just screw a couple 2x2's to the inside and rest the monitor on it.

4 weeks later
    #170 9 years ago

The only thing I dislike about these vpincab builds is the orientation of the playfield monitor. It is deeper in the back perhaps to simulate a real pinball playfield. But unfortunately, that makes it significantly more difficult to view the back of the playfield on the monitor. If anything you want it steeper in back so it points at you better. Then raise your leg levelers so the back is as high a possible and the front as low as possible. It may be less noticeable on a 24" mini but for sure a big deal on a full size build.

#174 9 years ago
    Quoted from shakenbake:

We've experimented with a lot of options and this one seems best. When Kinect head tracking is implemented on some future builds this angle will prove to be best. I hear your point though Markmon.

I don't expect kinect head tracking to *ever* be implemented in pinball fx2. There's some discussion on it for VP but that isn't nearly as cool as the other platforms coming out.

I just can't see how any of they helps with the sunken monitor, though. It's simply hard to see what's on the screen at the rear. Its wonderful to walk up to the cabinet and think it looks natural. But that doesn't hold up to a bit of time playing the game. The monitors don't handle off viewing angles that well. Even ones with great viewing angles are still better straight on. Why would you add to this problem further by sinking the monitor into the cabinet? The ideal viewing angle for the monitor would be if the persons eyes were centered to the center of the screen and if the top and bottom of the screen were equidistant to the eyes. This view is impossible as the player is closer to the front. So the least you can do is angle the monitor to help, not hinder, the problem.

#176 9 years ago
    Quoted from shakenbake:

Unless there is an unforeseen compatibility issue this will be happening very soon. Zen & Microsoft Gaming both have one of our machines in R&D right now.

I understand what they have. But they don't prioritize this stuff. The last effort to just to move the dmd
    Window was when they had only 1 day allotted.

#189 9 years ago

Pin2k is standard width. You can use a 39" for a pin2k or standard width sized cabinet.

#191 9 years ago
    Quoted from nicoga3000:

Yeah, I really have no idea what size I'd want to make at this point. Ideally, whatever is closest to a standard pin. Do widebody pins look odd on a non-widebody VP?

Nothing looks odd. It's all naturally scaled. Zen pinball are all wide body games. Id go as big a monitor as you can fit in your cabinet. You should also buy a monitor, test to make sure there's no noticeable input lag before you install it.

#195 9 years ago
    Quoted from nicoga3000:

Problem is that I don't HAVE a cab to work with. I'll have to build my own or buy a cab kit!

If it were me, I would go with standard width cabinet, 39" led tv, then build the cab a bit short so there is no need for extra dead space and so DMD can be right at end of playfield. It gives a cv type play effect. You should build the PC first and get say zen pinball working on it - since its super easy to install and test with. Make sure to set max pretendered frames to 1 in vid card settings then test tvs as you buy to insure no lag. Once you find a tv without lag you can build your cab around it. Sticking to standard with cabinets lets you use standard lockdown bars though.

#198 9 years ago

Ok if you want to design for optimum playability rather than looks, try to keep these things in mind:

1) low input lag monitor
    2) keep monitor near glass so you can view the back easily
    3) keep dmd monitor as close to the very back edge of monitor as you can
    4) 40-46" all provide very good play experiences.
    5) do not design for only visual pinball / hyper pin. There are better things out and you want flexibility to run everything. I think pinball fx2 is the current best thing out.
    6) keep the monitor as close to the lockdown bar as possible. Do not move it back or center it.
    7) use authentic flipper buttons such as leaf switches, pin2k buttons rather than arcade buttons. This helps prevent some perceived lag. Microswitches engage at the end of the press while leafs can be calibrated to engage at the start.

This is a custom built cab that has to fit under my wall mounted tv. The placement of the DMD monitor is awesome for game play.
    image-133.jpgimage-133.jpg

image-900.jpgimage-900.jpg

Here is a pin2k conversion with 39" monitor and closely mounted DMD
    image-770.jpgimage-770.jpg

#233 9 years ago
    Quoted from PW79:

Well I bought the 1080p slim bezel 39" Panasonic LED
    It fits without de-casing so that's reeeeally good news.
    I'm stoked. Gonna have a sweet ass PinballFX cabinet soon!

image-189.jpg 135 KB

Hey. How is the input lag on this one? It looks great.

Quoted from nicoga3000:

Anyone have video of a virtual pin using leaf switches to show the difference in lag/response? I want to build one still, but I'm really worried about lag. The "you'll get used to it" excuse simply won't hold for me.
    E: That TV you posted looks awesome and cheap. I kind of want to grab one, too...

You definitely get a little less lag using leafs than micro switches since you can calibrate your leafs to trigger early. Make sure you set max prerendered frames to 1 in the vid card driver.

Quoted from bub2010:

nicoga.. I've used standard arcade switches and those are fine, but do "click" more than a leaf switch. I just recently used some new buttons for the flippers only that are internal leaf switch styles... where the switch and mechanism is built into the button and those work great. Both has equal response IMO.. just one is more noisy than a real pin.

No there really is a small difference. A micro switch registers at the end of the press where a leaf can be set to register at the start. The small amount of throw helps in reaction time as well as in flipper tricks. I use pinball 2000 buttons which also engage early. The arcade buttons you mention may not register early enough and are not calibratable in this regard.

#235 9 years ago
    Quoted from PW79:

I had a lot of fun in the 90's so I'm not likely to notice a televisions input lag that exceeds my brain lag
    Is lag really a problem these days? For some reason I thought that was behind us like rainbow DLP's or misaligned CRT images.

I don't agree. I think you'll notice. Pinball is an instant reaction game so if you go flip and find your shots late, that's lag. And a really powerful PC with nice video card can have great frame rates but still show input lag.

#237 9 years ago
    Quoted from PW79:

Well shit
    How do I discover a TV's input lag? It that like the response time?

Unfortunately, it's not the same. Can you take the monitor you bought, install pinball fx2, set the max prerendered frames to 1, and test. If it plays well and lag seems ok, build your cabinet around it. If not, return it and get another and repeat. Don't forget to set game mode on the monitor.

#241 9 years ago
    Quoted from PW79:

So put the TV on game mode & set PinballFX to Frame1. Anything else for this initial test besides sobriety?

Close. Max prerendered frames is a video driver setting not a setting in pinball fx. Make sure you're not testing with a wireless keyboard.

#243 9 years ago
    Quoted from PW79:

Word, thanks man.
    OS is 27% right now...

What video card you using?

#245 9 years ago

That video card should be fine.

#247 9 years ago

Ok congratulations looks like it'll be a winner.

#255 9 years ago
    Quoted from PW79:

I played some VP last night & the physics cannot compare to PinballFX. However I still have a soft spot for VP & love what people have created so I will prolly load both when I get around to it. Problem is it's just such a long drawn out PITA to get VP going so I'm in no rush for that endless shit... First world problems

Try the executable and some of the tables here and see what your physics opinion is.

http://pinballbulbs.com/files/physmod.html

1 week later
    #268 9 years ago
    Quoted from mbott1701:

It's static and you can set it to whatever image you want. Here's the default backglass and dmd images i put together for my mini.

prime.png 471 KB

Unless you're running the backglass changer app I wrote for pinball fx2. Also why so you have a DMD image? Doesn't the dmd go here?

4 weeks later
    #273 9 years ago
    Quoted from gregh43:

has anyone used PinballX for their front end?
    just looking for opinions on which is better
    the HyperPin or PinballX thanks for any help
    offered.

I dislike both. I use steam big picture as a front end. And I wrote my own thing for listing and launching VP tables from it.

8 months later
    #342 9 years ago
    Quoted from NextoPin:

Keep an eye out for U3D, It will make the rest of the simulators moot. Cab setup is as simple as dragging a window. Beta is supposed to be coming out soon.
    http://www.unit3dpinball.net/index.php?pa=showcase&categ=0
    It uses FP tables as the base, Unity as the graphics engine. It has DirectOutput support for LED's Flashers and Solenoids etc. You can run the cabinet and game sound on different adapters so you can simulate the force feedback sounds with a speaker inside the cab while the game audio comes out the speakers in the head. Also included is support for Oculus Rift VR and possibly head tracking with kinect or PSeye.
    The alpha version might be tricky to get going but it's already ahead of FP.

Future pinball is completely unplayable garbage. The flippers fire way off to the side and up the middle shots are impossible. The physics mods help but nothing fixes it. So saying something is better than future pinball sets the bar so low ...

I don't agree u3d makes everything else moot. Vp10 is pretty good and the physics enhancements on vp are actually great. Much better than the u3d physics in any of the alphas so far.

Quoted from gregh43:

Heres some pics of my virtual.

your cabinet artwork sure looks nice. But the monitor all sunk down in the back makes for terrible viewing angles.

#345 9 years ago
    Quoted from NextoPin:

The screen should be parallel with the glass. You want to leave a little room for airflow. If the viewing angle on your display looks washed out, you may need to have it tilted slightly toward the player.
    I still haven't figured out why people angle them like that, I'm sure there is a reason, I just don't know what it is. Maybe to fit some lights below the glass in the back?

They think it looks more real to have it tilted back. But then gameplay suffers a lot. And the worst is putting a bunch of flashers across the top. I mean it's already hard to view at that angle why would you want flashers blinding you making it worse? Especially when those flashers don't even go there in the emulated games lol.

Anyways yea I would have it as close to the glass as possible and even then you may want to raise the back legs to get a better viewing angle.

#356 9 years ago

It doesn't matter how good the viewing angle is on the monitor. In fact, that's not really the problem. The further the monitor is sunken in, the further away the back side of the monitor is from the player. The higher the back, the easier it is to see the whole thing. And while monitor viewing angles help the back not being distorted, the colors still aren't as vibrant as in front of you and the distance is further away.

One of the best viewing cabinets I set up was in a tube-in cabinet. The monitor was about 45 degrees and it was a ton easier to play. Not because of monitor viewing angles but because the player is properly centered on the monitor.

The simulations, even vp now, handle the side wall.

As for flashers, why would you want a row of flashers in the back? Flashers are used to indicate a shot or event in a location. For example, the ball is about to be released from a scoop. Flash the scoop flasher. You don't flash a flasher second to right on the backboard. They don't pile flashers up in the back of the machine pointing at the player in real pinballs. They put them near the event. It is not "awesome" to pile a bunch of flashers in the back of the machine pointing at the player washing out the monitor and not even being near where they should go in the game.

The same people that talk about these things being cool seems to be the same folks that mention future pinball and BAM being cool. Future pinball is so unbelievable unplayable bad. You can't aim any shots with the flippers. They don't go anywhere near where they should. Anyone that thinks future pinball is even kind of neat obviously isn't a pinball player anyway and built the cabinet for the fun of having it.

#374 9 years ago
    Quoted from 85vett:

Then why don't you all sink the front of your monitor in. Wouldn't that flatten things out for the viewing angle even more?

I absolutely would do that if I could. But then you see all the flipper buttons and wires. So it's not an option.

Quoted from 85vett:

Ya'll are arguing about 2-3 inches of change. IT"S NOT THAT BIG OF A DIFFERENCE.

That's right. The 2-3" is huge. Even raising the leg levelers in back helps a ton.

Quoted from gregh43:

MarkMon ill post a pic of my machine with
    a table loaded on it. I also have pics of a machine
    from guy i know that built his with the tv screen
    up to the glass. i tried it out and I didnt like the screen up to the
    glass. it didnt look right. unless his tv wasnt very good. I would like
    to a pic of your setup please..

Photos aren't going to help here. For one thing, the idiot that built the first cabinet put the monitor 4 inches away from the front so the there's a huge black bezel and the flippers are way far away. That is probably a worse mistake than sinking the monitor for playability. Pictures won't capture viewing angles properly and they definitely don't when you're standing way far off to the side. Comparing those two machines I'm sure yours is far better but that doesn't mean the sunk in monitor is fine.

The ideal viewing angle would be where the center of the monitor is where the center of your eyes hit and the distance from your eyes to the front and back of the monitor are the same. This is seen if you lean the monitor against the wall in testing or such. It's a totally unreasonable viewing angle of course but cabinet builds should do whatever they can to come as close as possible. High in the back, longer legs in the back, no leg leveler a up front, etc.

The tubin cabinet conversion I built for a friend had the monitor at around 45 degrees. That had the most satisfying viewing angle I've ever seen on one of these. It was a cool conbo machine.

Another thing about having the monitor high in the back is that it gives you a closer view to your DMD than if the monitor is sunken down. On my cabinet, it almost feels cirqus voltaire like trying to view the DMD while playing. Of course I have a custom cab built around my monitor so there's no extra space between the monitor and DMD.

#379 9 years ago
    Quoted from boogies:

Do you know that there are around 100 seats in a movie theater? Nobody asks for refunds due to bad viewing angle.

Yea? Is one of those seats near the exit door against the wall in front to the left or right of the screen? Cause that is more like the sunken screen mount view.

Quoted from gregh43:

the guy that built my machine.
    hes been at it for a number of years and is awesome
    at what he does and knows how the tv should be
    mounted in for perfect angles. check out vpuniverse. hes
    done quite a few cabs

Irrelevant.

Quoted from boogies:

FWIW: He's built cabs for his buddies in his local area, and you'll notice that peeps close to him will give him "thumbs up" or support him. He's built a few $500 cabs for buddies, and he know what he likes.

Huh what? I don't build $500 cabinets. Wtf who has time for that?

1 week later
    #435 8 years ago
    Quoted from SadSack:

If it's hard to see, you don't have a good display. The flashers on top of the playfield kick ass. This isn't mine:
    BOPLedwiz.jpg (Click image to enlarge)

This looks f-ing terrible. Those leds blinding you pointing directly at you in the worst possible position. Why not just take this to its ultimate conclusion and pull out the playfield monitor entirely and just put a mass of leds in there? Think of how bad ass that would be. You would be able to say you have more led flashers than anyone and your game wouldn't be any less playable.

Quoted from mwong168:

PM me if you are interested in any of these parts or want to take the entire lot. Thanks.

Assuming the sidewinder comes with the factory usb cable, I recommend someone snag that. It's the best for nudging.

#440 8 years ago
    Quoted from gregh43:

interested in knowing what the best settings
    to have on tv for playfield such as brightness,
    contrast, backlight, etc and which mode. thanks

Game mode to eliminate input lag. The rest is just tune to your personal taste and changes TV to TV.

3 months later
    #532 8 years ago

Why would you put the spacer on the front and not the back? It looks bad to have the play field way up.

A 40" or 39" in a standard body case feels much more natural.

#537 8 years ago

Plexiglass is fine. I use it over the Playfield.

#556 8 years ago
    Quoted from bub2010:

The tables scale accordingly.. never really thought about it. 650GTX or better should do for the most part I'd say. Having said that I use nothing less than 3.5ghz quad cores and SSD's.

You can run 3 monitors perfectly with 1 750ti (650ti equivalent), 4gb ram, and i3 4160 type cpu. Anything more is just overkill.

#582 8 years ago

Yea minis are awesome. We have built them 35 pounds, play on your coffee table, fold up and put away when done or put on a dedicated stand. Using 23" computer monitor is easy to get no input lag.

image.jpgimage.jpg

image_1.jpgimage_1.jpg

2 weeks later
    #622 8 years ago
    Quoted from gregh43:

Looks freaking fantastic Fren. How about the
    new Kiss pinball will that ever be a Virtual table??

Spike is not emulated yet.

#649 8 years ago
    Quoted from luvthatapex2:

No way. There are still plenty of cab owners that are using Vp9.x that didn't upgrade their cabs to hotrods to run vp10
    It looks great!!!

Hotrod?? Any shitty cheap modernish pc from the last 5 years should easily run vp10. Yo must have a total pile of crap lol. Welcome to 1994.

3 weeks later
    #746 8 years ago
    Quoted from PoMC:

Played the virtual pins at the booth in the York show, but man, couldn't deal with the slight flipper lag after hitting the flipper button. Don't like those crazy scrolling pinball FX games either, I just want to play real world pins that are emulated, but lag kills it for me.

Unfortunately, there are many ways to build these and some get lag. People buy TV sets and think they'll be ok but they usually are not. You can't rule out virtual pinball after playing one laggy machine. Also, the scrolling camera on pinball fx2 can be disabled.

#779 8 years ago

The problem with adding solenoids to knock with the flippers is the out of sync sound. The solenoids kick then the game sounds for the flippers fire. It's super lame and distracting. In VP, the game sounds can be disabled and rerouted to dof. But here you'd get both.

Just crank up your subwoofer in the game. Mine makes it so I feel everything even the balls bump on rubbers. You do not need dof to enjoy the game.

#801 8 years ago
    Quoted from paulohotline:

IMO the DMD is way better in the backglass until they start supporting the real DMD via PinDMD2

Totally disagree. It's way lame looking way up that high while playing. I doubt real DMD support is ever coming in pinball fx. It's kind of lame to use a real DMD anyway. Real pinball machines aren't even using them anymore. It's way limiting in a virtual machine.

#806 8 years ago

Not if your a pro like me. I trap the ball when a mode starts to see what you have to do Cannot stand the DMD on the playfield, so much so that I refused to play PBFX2 on my VirtualPin until the made this update.

I never said it should be on the playfield. I said it should go where the DMD belongs. Why build a cabinet and include a DMD when the only software that supports that screen is some community software and not all the many other simulations?

#809 8 years ago
    Quoted from jrivelli:

That dmd in the backglass looks awful and weirdly skewed. Why isn't it in the DMD slot? DMD slot should be a monitor, no need to step backwards with a real DMD that regular pinball machines don't use anymore

Because people build their machines solely for visual pinball and hyperpin type stuff then expect all the many other pinball simulations to make code changes to conform to their build. Instead, a more flexible build should have been considered from the start to properly run other simulations.

1 month later
    #846 8 years ago

The ipac use to be great but now it also shows up as a joystick device. The one from amazon would work perfectly well. There's also the freescale controller method which also provides an accelerometer for nudging. That set up works great and costs $13 in a DiY configuration.

1 week later
    #865 8 years ago
    Quoted from PoMC:

Picked up a virtual pin cabinet that's loaded with a shaker motor, two LED wiz's, flashers, LED strips, under cab lighting, accelerometer, 42" playfield TV, 32" backbox and LCD monitor for the DMD area. I just need to wire up the 12 solenoids and build a PC for it.
    What are the recommended PC specs and video card specs so there's no flipper lag? Every virtual pin I've played seemed to have some slight amount of flipper lag and it made playing the game not enjoyable at all.

virtual_pinball.jpg

The PC specs are light. An intel i3 or better and gtx750ti video card will do. The lag comes from. A few things. First, using micro switches for flipper buttons can add some lag over leafs. Micro switches register hit towards the end of the press while leafs can be extra sensitive. The bigger one will be the monitor itself. Most tvs have lag. Likely the tv in what you bought will have lag. There are some with a decent game mode or you can get an expensive presentation monitor. The final piece is setting max prerendered frames to 1 in the video card. By default it's 3, which caches 3 frames before displaying 1. At 60 fps, this introduces about 50ms lag.

#867 8 years ago

It also depends what simulation you're running. Pinball fx2 has almost no lag while vp has a little more.

#869 8 years ago
    Quoted from PoMC:

I do have leaf springs installed instead of microswitches, so that can at least make up for some lag. The TV is a Vizio, but would have to take a look and see which model if that mattered.

Im not an expert on which tvs to get. They chance every year also. I did some research when I built mine and got a tv with under 15ms lag but they're no longer made. You can use this http://www.displaylag.com/display-database/. I think the presentation monitors are the only real way to go for a serous build though. Neccmakes some very expensive very low lag displays but they're $1500-1800.

#872 8 years ago
    Quoted from JimmyV23:

Gregh... no idea on the physmod thing... just added it to the pinballx wheel and tried to launch it. hrm..

Looks like you have some research to do then. When someone gives you some hints, you should move forward with them rather than say what you did and what you expect.

2 weeks later
    #899 8 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

i'm running high end goodies in mine too, I was more concerned with clashing from running 2 VP's at the same time. What does Allknowing know about MAME? I need someone to help me with Joytokey. My mame is setup and configured, just can't get my control panel adjusted correctly.

Mame uses raw input. You won't use joytokey on it. You'd program the raw joystick presses via your key encoder that is probably registering joystick hits.

#911 8 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

that's what I used to use when I had a IPac on my controller panel. But now I switched to GGG's Pinwiz-40. Because my IPAC was the ps2 connection, and the new tower I bought for the MAME didn't have a true PS2 port. If you try to convert it to USB, doesn't work. Won't let you program the Ipac. Ipac saw some of the inputs, but wouldn't you let you make any changes to anything. Was a big PIA. Was told GGG is a superior product. But GGG is a joystick emulator, not a keyboard emulator. So I have to configure joy2key to work to emulate the analogue readings i'm getting on the second joystick (that used to be key strokes with IPac, now it's X, Y)

If I am understanding you, the GGG encoder shows up as a game controller. If you type into the run box in windows, joy.cpl and hit enter, you see the controller there. If this is the case, then MAME will be able to be configured to use joystick presses for each of the buttons and it won't need joytokey or care about keyboard presses at all. The configuration for all this is done inside mame by hitting tab once a game is loaded and then binding the controls. Absolutely every control can then be bound including the MAME interface buttons and things like exit (cancel) as well as all player controls.

#913 8 years ago

If this still isn't working, you may need to enable gamepads in the mame.ini file.

1 week later
    #1042 8 years ago
    Quoted from epthegeek:

Reading this thread is just cementing my lack of interest in dealing with the tedious constant updates and config garbage of getting my VPin up to date. Anybody want a wooden box with 3 displays in it? heh.

Go with pinball fx2 and be done. Leave the real pins for playing the real games.

#1045 8 years ago
    Quoted from pudluther:

having the real table, would you say the WIP plays relatively close to the original? at least in spirit (flow, ease of shots, ball movement, etc)?
    i think it plays great...and i can't wait to see the vp10 version when it's released...even if it doesn't play any better, the lighting will be top notch. that's the thing i've noticed the most with vp10...the lighting.

It's kind of close, but actually *way* more brutal. I've hit monster scores like 2+ billion on the real deal. I cant hit more than 30 mil on this.

#1051 8 years ago
    Quoted from epthegeek:

There is that, I guess. Does FX2 have a proper cabinet mode that you can drive with the buttons and whatnot?

Yea and flipper physics are as good as it gets.

#1055 8 years ago

Randr over at vpinball.com may be putting together a DOF kit that will provide some force feedback support for PinballFX2 and TPA. Bookmark this thread to get the latest.
    http://vpinball.com/forums/topic/can-we-get-some-ledwiz-toys-working-with-pinballfx2-dof-compatibility/

This will suck. You will have sound effects along with solenoids but they don't fire off at exactly the same time and totally ruins the effect. It's like dof with full game sounds running. With a nice subwoofer in the cabinet and a tactile transducer bolted to the front you can feel almost every ball thump in pinball fx without dof.

#1059 8 years ago

From the video, it looks like it will work just fine thank you very much. It's tied in to your XBOX controller rumble output so it should be instantaneous. I will reserve judgement until Randr gets a unit out to me to test

The xbox 360 controller output is more useful if wired to say a single shaker motor in a cabinet - definitely not for controlling individual solenoids like DOF.

#1063 8 years ago

Super out on any forum that requires registration just to view images.

#1081 8 years ago
    Quoted from pudluther:

i haven't ever been able to get FP to play worth a darn on my cab...there are some fantastic tables out there though...

There's not one good table on future pinball due to the physics being so incredibly bad. What good is playing pinball when the flippers - the only controls in the game - don't behave anything like they should and aren't even consistent? Anyone that raves about how cool future pinball and bam are is not a pinball player and just randomly hits the flipper button when the ball is near - possibly hitting both flippers together.

#1084 8 years ago

Respectfully disagree, I have a few tables that I play with full DOF in Future Pinball that play amazingly well with the Physics 2.5.exe. Here is my list and trust me dude, I play pinball... allot. But of course, as always this is from my POV: Adams Family, ACDC, Attack from Mars, Appollo 13, Austin Powers, Bram Stokers Dracula, The Getaway, Tron, Twilight Zone. I also like that custom TRON that is on the site, but it has no DOF support.

DOF, BAM, these things have nothing to do with playability. Physics v2.5 does *not* fix the massively broken future pinball flipper physics. Sorry, but its really hard to take anyone seriously as a pinball player that thinks future pinball is even kind of playable. If you play those games then the real games the difference is so incredible you shouldn't even touch future pinball. At least in pinball arcade you can aim shots and the ball goes where it should. Same is now said of physmod / vp10. VP9 was better than future pinball and it was also completely unplayable. Adams Family, ACDC, Attack from mars future pinball all play super terrible and are not playable at all.

Future pinball flipper physics are not just slightly off either. There's often a 30 degree difference on where the ball should go vs where it actually goes.

#1086 8 years ago

Disagree again. DOF adds allot of playability to the realism of game to me. I don't give a rats butt hole if you don't take me seriously dude. As I stated earlier this is my opinion and I like to have fun with this tech. I love it all, including Future Pinball and I encourage every pinhead on this forum and thread to not be discouraged by you or your advice and try it out for themselves before they right it off. I enjoy what these authors have done here and the important thing to me anyways is I am having FUN. I don't need to have my calculator out to measure fun dude.

So playing pinball is about using the flippers to make the ball go to where you want it to go. When that's impossible because every single shot is *way* off, how can you consider that fun? I guess adding some flashing lights with the game so leds are flashing in your face corrects all that for you. Great.

I absolutely recommend everyone *never* tries future pinball. This is what gives real pinball players the impression that virtual pinball totally sucks. You see many threads on the topic. With future pinball and VP9 and older only, virtual pinball did suck. A lot has since changed with pinball fx2, pinball arcade, and vp10 though. Those games are finally playing like actual pinball.

#1090 8 years ago
    Quoted from pudluther:

only thing i don't like about PBFX2 (other than the lack of any official DOF support), is the extremely long ball times. i wish there were a way to disable ALL ball saves on every PBFX2 table. i think it would add to my enjoyment if i felt like every shot was riskier.
    and really, it's a very, very minor complaint...i get that...not trying to make it out to be something more than it is...just commenting since i saw PBFX2 brought up again.

I'm pretty sure you can disable all ball saves. It defaults to 30 seconds. Some of the tables are pretty brutal. For example, the western one, the tron portal one can be brutal, the new star wars tables are shorter ball times.

#1098 8 years ago
    Quoted from pudluther:

i looked in the settings menu of PBFX2...didn't see an option to turn off ball saves, daggumit.

It's not in the settings. It's in the operator menu. You can also crank up the game pitch. Once you make those changes you can't post to the leaderboards but you still get a local high score table.

#1113 8 years ago
    Quoted from 85vett:

I can't comment on the 2.7 physics of FP as the last version I tried was 2.5, ... I'll have to try 2.7 to see if it is better. I just know that I can't hit a dang thing I shoot for which turned me way off of FP even though I loved the look of it.

It's not better. Neither is zed physics.

#1115 8 years ago

@85vett: I suppose it's possible to get use to FP completely unrealistic physics and be able to make shots but those shots won't be anywhere close to how you'd make them in a real machine. Trapping the ball on the left flipper then trying to back hand a ramp that's around say 10:00 position results in the ball heading towards 2:00. If you compensate and flip earlier than you should, the ball has no power and barely moves up the playfield before coming back down. Shots when the ball is moving not trapped are a little better but still not right.

Paulo: I'm sorry but I cannot respect the opinion of anyone as a real pinball player that thinks FP physics are even kind of close. You obviously don't play the 4 games you own. That's not being negative. It's being truthful.

1 week later
    #1135 8 years ago
    Quoted from gregh43:

Pudluther is that table future pinball? Iam having the same exact problem with all my VP10 Tables. they all look like desktop tables. is this a scripting issue? do i need to update files in VpinMame? thanks appreciate any help. my pm5 and vp992 tables look fine. just all vp10 tables dont look full screen cabinet.

In vp10 settings, enable the cabinet mode.

#1173 8 years ago

I have an ahk that selects start, remaps some buttons, and enters full screen but I haven't tested it on the steam version.

#1175 8 years ago

Installing the steam version. I'll post my script shortly. Not my front end runs in portrait so rotation is not something I need to worry about for this title.

#1178 8 years ago
    Quoted from Chosen_S:

I'm having a little trouble forcing it to maximize to 1080 with my script, mine keeps forcing it off the edge of my main display

Just send f11 as a keystroke.

#1180 8 years ago
    Quoted from Chosen_S:

Thanks, I figured that part out, also remapping the other buttons, and the mouse click, but exiting is proving not to work out so well... What do you do to force the exit?

Remap escape to process, close, ProPinball.exe

You can also reassign keys in the games config xml file if you prefer.

Too bad the game has so much input lag. It makes it unplayable for me.

#1183 8 years ago
    Quoted from Chosen_S:

Oh man, that's a bummer, I have input lag with fx2, but pro pinball is spot on so far

The shot angles are just way off from where they should be. It's definitely not something that you don't have. Maybe you just don't notice it but the positions on the flipper are just wrong. Everything is too far to the outter parts of the table.

For fx2 no lag, in nvidia set a profile. Disable vsync and set max prerendered frames to 1. This should make it about as fast as a real machine. The lowest lag of any simulator I've ever seen.

#1185 8 years ago
    Quoted from Chosen_S:

Thanks!
    I've been working on getting timeshock to exit cleanly all day, and while timeshock is in the game, it just won't close. I've tried forcing F4, process close, PID, taskkill,
    It's like the game just will not listen to any outside process, although ahk key changes work ok, just nothing to kill the process

I answered this above. In your code that changes key presses override your exit button, in my case it's escape:

Escape::Process, Close, ProPinball.exe

#1210 8 years ago
    Quoted from Chosen_S:

still doesnt work, are you using the steam version?

Maybe your key replacement isn't running. Try putting MsgBox in place of process close and see if you can get a simple test message to pop up when hitting escape.

#1213 8 years ago

You can replace keys by editing
    C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Barnstorm Games\Pro Pinball Ultra\UserDefault.xml

Look for lines like this:
    <controls_left_flipper_0>160</controls_left_flipper_0>

I believe the numbers are decimal values for the Windows keycodes and you can look them up on msdn.

#1214 8 years ago

Also tested my script on the steam version and it properly exits the game.

Here is my AHK script that runs the steam version, my monitor is already in portrait so I don't need to hassle with rotating it. Showpicture puts a backglass up for me. This launches the game, sets it to full screen, clicks play, binds the keys, then exits cleanly on escape.

#NoEnv ; Recommended for performance and compatibility with future AutoHotkey releases.
    SendMode Input ; Recommended for new scripts due to its superior speed and reliability.
    SetWorkingDir %A_ScriptDir% ; Ensures a consistent starting directory.

PPdir = %A_ScriptDir%
    IfNotExist, propinball.exe ; If you don't want to put Timeshockstarter.exe in your Pro Pinball Directory you can enter the path to Pro Pinball.exe below
    PPdir = C:\pinball\steampinball\SteamApps\common\Pro Pinball Ultra

Run, "ShowPicture.exe" /left=63 /top=-1276 /width=1020 /height=875 /picture=Timeshock.jpg

Run, "%PPdir%\ProPinball.exe", %PPdir%
    Process, wait, ProPinball.exe
    WinWaitActive, ahk_class Cocos2dxWin32
    Send {F11}
    sleep 1000

; This is supposed to send a left mouse click to the "Start Simulation" button on the start screen.
    ; On your system this buttón is propably located on different coordinates then on mine especially if your resolution is not 1920x1080
    ; You can use Autohotkey's Window Spy to get working coordinates for your system.
    MouseClick,left,300,1150
    process, WaitClose, ProPinball.exe

Process, Close, ShowPicture.exe

ExitApp

; You can change your key bindings here
    #IfWinActive ahk_class Cocos2dxWin32
    1::s
    Escape::Process, Close, ProPinball.exe
    RCtrl::Backspace
    LCtrl::LAlt
    #IfWinActive

#1217 8 years ago
    Quoted from Star_Gazer:

Time to add some serious bass to my virtual pinball, hope Pinball Arcade will add 2.1 support soon! Anyone knows a fix fort this? (bassically i dont get sound out of my sub/center output)

Picture_(resized).jpg

The fix is to tell Windows you have only 2 speakers and use only the two channels out from the pc into your amps

1 week later
    #1268 8 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

my virtuapin machine is the 2nd most expensive machine I own. Was it worth it? It is now, that I can load all Stern Sam stuff on it. Lets me play and learn tables that I would not want to own. especially for a tournament player. It's very well needed. The physics in physmod5 and VP10 are very close to the real thing. Shot pattern in VP10 is so damn close now, it's worth having a machine. One machine to pretty much play anything you want.
    Recently I loaded.
    Capcom Kingpin. needed a lot of reworking and adjusting, but got it playing like my pinball magic now. I've never got to play this in the wild. now I can play it whenever I want.
    King Kong- Very good version available
    Rare games that are not worth owning but ok to play once in awhile.
    Big bang bar has a nice VP10 table. much closer than the VP9x version and better rez graphics.
    I'm having trouble with my nudging. If I turn it on. all my tables are steep as shit. So steep, that VP10 tables cannot even launch the ball. They are like the backbox on Banzai run. I've tried calibrating it numerous times. Is there a way I can zero it out, so the slant it's on, is 0 position?
    Did anyone make a manual on explaining all the settings in VP10? that would be helpful. I have one for VP9 but 10 is so different.

What are your nudge settings set at? Dead zone and gain?

#1271 8 years ago

The nanotech hardware sucks. I could never get it to sit idle. I ended up throwing it in the trash and using a Freescale or sidewinder. Both of those work great. The Freescale auto calibrates on power up.

Anyways, I think for vp10 you want your gain settings around 50 not 150. My deadzones are closer to 10 but my hardware is better.

#1273 8 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

i know it's jittery. but the dead zone should get rid of that, but it's not even that, that's the problem. It's the fact that it's slightly angled, which makes me have to have my dead zone so far out. And I can't figure out why it changes from table to table?

It shouldnt change from table to table. So in windows do start-->run-->joy.cpl->enter. Then go into properties and see if the dot is centered and stationary. If not do a calibration.

#1275 8 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

i've done like 10 calibrations. It will not go center. it always goes lower than center because it's mounted on a tilt. It should zero out as center when it says, have it in it's resting position and press next. Which I do, but for some reason that is not the case.

The nanotech is garbage. My suggestion is to replace it.

#1278 8 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

yea, i know. It was the only technology available back then. It really hasn't had that much use and pretty much brand new. Shame to pitch it for an upgrade

The freescale solution is like $15 http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DK2DBM4
    For such a cheap price why hassle with garbage for even one day?

#1283 8 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

i'm looking at that, and have no idea how I would even hook that up with the setup I have.

So it provides several outputs that show up as joystick buttons. It has internal accelerometer and it has outputs for analog plunger if you have that (I don't). I use xpadder and make a custom profile so everything comes in as key presses with it. What is in your set up that concerns you?

#1286 8 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

I think mine plugs in with a USB on one end, and has some pS2? connection on the other? Which connects to this long panel with screws on it with wires on each one. Don't know what it goes to.
    My concern with that one, is that it looks like there arn't any connections on it. Looks like solder pads for pins.

Do you even care about analog plunger or just nudging and buttons? Are you saying you can't solder? Or that you don't know what to solder where.

#1288 8 years ago

I don't see a photo attached. I also don't use a plunger. But the USB connects from pc to the programmed board. From there you now have an analog nudge ready to go. If you want to also use this as a button encoder, then there is a ground pin and 32 inputs. You run the ground to one side of all your switches. And home run each switch to a point on the freescale that works as an input. Now you have a fully wired controller. You can use xpadder to configure keystrokes from those buttons.

#1290 8 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

so you don't need to use any of the other ports. just USB into the computer and let it work from there?

41n9l7081ZL_(resized).jpg

Ya but you'll have to program it. I'd offer to configure one of these to send out to you but I edited the code I use to disable the extra axis for the analog plunger since I use launch buttons instead.

One of those USB is for programming and configuring the device. The other is for normal use.

#1297 8 years ago
    Quoted from Chosen_S:

I have the sidewinder for nudging (I use a button for launch), and my setup hates the sidewinder for some reason, I guess I don't know how to set it up properly... can anyone please help?

It's hard to help solve a vague problem like "my system hates the sidewinder" lol.

#1301 8 years ago
    Quoted from delt31:

guys - do the virtual tables allow you to apply or use update code or change music? For example, my Jurassic has the latest rom from Chad which is a MAJOR improvement than stock. Can the same updates and rule changes be applied to the virtual table? For GnR I have a pinsound card which allows custom music. In the virtual table, can you add your own music that is incorporated into the game (not just MP3 music that plays over top)?

You can override the ROM music with your own mp3 files defined in the VP Script. See jpsalas lord of the rings for an example of how.

#1305 8 years ago

That looks great. Are there instructions on how to do this posted? I assume it's a replacement com object that is loaded in place of pinmame controller?

#1307 8 years ago

Does that support all the Sam stuff? Also are there instructions?

#1313 8 years ago
    Quoted from PinSound:

Yes, it's quite simple:
    - download the latest PinSound Studio software (v0.7): http://www.pinsound.org/pinsound-studio/
    - download and replace your vpinmame DLL: http://www.pinsound.org/visual-pinball-dll/
    As Visual Pinball must communicate with PSStudio, make sure that the Windows permissions are the same: if you have to launch your Visual Pinball as an administrator, you should start PSStudio as an administrator too.
    The PSStudio must be started before you launch your Visual Pinball table.
    Currently, it's compatible with the same hardware supported by the PinSound board: System11-C/WPC89/WPCDCS/WPC95/DE.3 and SEGA/STERN Whitestar will be added soon. I'll look into SAM after that.

Pinsound on SAM would be awesome for my iron maiden project I'm working on.

#1316 8 years ago
    Quoted from Phod:

Anyone know of any virtual pins for sale? Thanks!

There's always these combo machines. http://pinballbulbs.com/products/pinballbulbs-mini-virtual-pinball-combo

#1323 8 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

virtuapin.net I thought had MPU graphics kits available. Or look what his premium models run and look from there. I bought my widebody extreme from him like 3 years ago, and even now it still is strong enough, I never get ,lag even with high demand tables.

Yea. It's super hard to make a PC that would have lag in something like VP or pinball fx to be honest. I mean I built stuff in the $350 range with the power to handle all that.

#1327 8 years ago
    Quoted from gregh43:

wouldnt you need a faster cpu and video card to run the top games like the stern tables like Star Trek and Ac/Dc and Metallica . etc..

These all run really great on a $60 intel CPU and $120 gtx750 video card. In the grand scheme of things, this is not a big challenge for today's computers.

#1331 8 years ago
    Quoted from gregh43:

Thanks soo much Njgsx96 Appreciate
    your advice. Very Helpful. I have the 760 GTX
    graphics card. with a I7 and 16GB or ram but
    i notice lag on my machine but i need to
    get rid of crap running in the background
    thanks for pointing that out

There are two types of lag you might notice: frame rate lag and input lag. Frame rate lag is what a more powerful machine would address. This will show up in jerky motions mainly.

Input lag is the time it takes from when you pressed the flipper button to when you see the flipper actually flip. The input lag can be fixed a little bit with better graphic card settings such as max prerendered frames = 1 always. But it's also the result of using tv for the playfield. Many tv have extra processing and even in game mode add 50-100ms of input lag. Not much can be done in this case other than replacing the tv with something that has low input lag such as an expensive presentation monitor or a tv with a rated low input lag spec.

#1332 8 years ago
    Quoted from njgsx96:

I would stick with Windows 7 64-bit OS, personally.
    As for the computer build, I think $350 is a low estimate unless you buy used, but otherwise markmon is right. You don't need cutting edge to run these tables. Does it help? Sure.

I'll argue that a cutting edge PC doesn't help at all. The specs I build run as these pinball simulations as well as anything:

H81 board $50
    CPU: $60
    4gb ram: $25
    120gb ssd: $65
    Gtx 750ti: $110
    Power supply: $30

I bet that come to *under* $350

#1337 8 years ago
    Quoted from njgsx96:

What model do you have, Greg? You should be able to find the input lag/refresh rate online. 30 or less is what you are looking for. 20s is great. 10s is even greater and under 10 is PC monitor territory.

It's pretty tough to find those specs

#1340 8 years ago
    Quoted from njgsx96:

A lot of the newer 4K sets, 40" that I have been looking at lately at least, are in the 20s/30s, which I think is great. I am actually looking at a 40" 4K monitor for my next build that is rated for 5ms GTG. My brother-in-law can get a 42" 1080p commercial display for around $400 but it doesn't fit a standard body and I don't want to go widebody. The PC monitors are hard to find (and pricey) but the 20s/30s ms lag TVs are fairly easy to find.

Where are you finding those specs? The manufacturer usually does not publish them and it takes someone with a camera and CRT to do some tests and report it.

#1342 8 years ago

Njgsx: good info there

46ms is huge lag for pinball. It's 3 frames at 60fps which will be very noticeable.

#1348 8 years ago
    Quoted from njgsx96:

Wow, so 1 frame for every 20ms? Good to know! My last TV was 42ms and it was ever so slightly noticeable. The new monitor has 5 or 8, but it is a PC monitor. Should be pretty sweet... I hope.

A frame is about 16.67 ms at 60fps. The new monitor you're getting - don't confuse the refresh rate which they advertise with the input lag stat which they don't.

Greg: a presentation monitor - not a tv - is really the way to go if you want to avoid input lag. Unfortunately they're really expensive.

#1352 8 years ago
    Quoted from Phod:

Hey guys
    I posted a bit back about shopping for some virtual cabs. I wanted to add a nice second one to my game room.
    I currently have a cab that I purchased locally. It does the job okay but has some quirks. One it's kinda sluggish (Avengers doesn't play well at all) and more annoyingly hard crashes sometimes during play. Like crashes so hard I have to completely power off the system to get it to respond.
    A few questions for the vets here
    1) anyone run into any similar issues on a build? Is there any good techniques for diagnosing the issue? It's a Windows 7 machine. It has a GeForce 460 in it for play field and 210 for back glass and dmd. The machine has 4 gigs of ram (and Windows reports only 2.75 is usable). I've checked temps and such and that's fine. I turned down some video option settings in visual pinball but didn't seem to help.
    2) the video drivers are pretty old (like 250 or so?) so I was gonna try and update them to see if it helped but I've never updated video drivers on a machine with two cards. Plus I'm nervous that somehow that will mess up the display settings and I'll struggle to get them back into working order.
    3) I could also buy 8 gigs of ram since I imagine it couldn't hurt. Could it be having a memory issue?
    I'm not that good with computer tech. Probably cause I just worry a lot about messing stuff up haha. Anyhow any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

First off, there really isn't enough data to tell you what your problem is. However, 4gb of ram is plenty. The fact that your system reports only 2.75gb available indicates it might be a 32bit os install instead of 64bit. If that's true then adding more ram will still show 2.75g available and be a waste of time and money.

#1357 8 years ago
    Quoted from gregh43:

Thanks Njgsx for checking out that monitor. Would it perform better than the tv i have now?

Because there is no info on it, no one knows.

#1371 8 years ago

The question is very confusing to me. You can use an led monitor which is inherently a color device so why would you be worrying about pindmd or colorDMD? Frame by frame colorization is not supported by pinmame but you can define a color pallet per game. There are also several color pallets defined by users and shared. You can apply these with my setdmd program in a batch.

#1374 8 years ago
    Quoted from gregh43:

I have a Pin2Dmd Markmon. mine does colors but no clue how to change the colors or colorize them? thanks appreciate any help

Why not pull out all that DMD crap and sell it and just use a monitor? It's so much more flexible. I mean people with real machines are pulling out their DMDs and putting in monitors (that's what colorDMD is). I cant imagine why someone would want to add a DMD in a virtual machine and limit themselves.

#1376 8 years ago
    Quoted from gregh43:

You bring up a good point. But my DMD does color if I knew how to use it.
    I am looking for a answer like Boogies is. I have the PinDmd v2. Boogies has the latest version. Whats a good monitor to buy Markmon and what size? Any additional hardware needed to run it? might go with that setup. Thanks!

A 17" 4x3 lcd or really anything that will fit the window in your cabinet. You hook it up to your PC video card and enable the monitor in Windows and that's basically it. You can then uninstall pindmd and anything else you use to drive a real DMD.

#1378 8 years ago
    Quoted from gregh43:

Thanks Markmon. I"ll look into that. Iam running one video card for everything. Will using the video card running the monitor would that cause any slow down running games?

A gtx750ti or better will run three monitors fine.

#1382 8 years ago
    Quoted from freneticamnesic:

because the software to do this on an LCD with Visual Pinball simply does not exist

First off, there isn't really anything preventing someone for writing a shiv in vpinmame to allow frame by frame colorization. And secondly, that is simply not cool enough to have to be stuck with a DMD window in the wrong place in pinball fx2 etc.

#1386 8 years ago
    Quoted from freneticamnesic:

There is nothing preventing that, but it hasn't been done - I mean, if we're being hypothetical, someone could write a program to feed the dots from fx2 and tpa to a real DMD...
    I (and many others) don't play fx2 or tpa, not a concern for us
    It's very cool and I'm glad I replaced my monitor with it.

The two tasks are not comparable. It's a fairly easy task to modify the open source vpinmame project to colorize the palet based on user definable input (meaning this is something I can do in a few days of work and maybe I'll look at it if I can care enough). It is a monumental task to do the other. I would not be capable of it and I suspect any solutions would be heavy on performance.

#1388 8 years ago
    Quoted from boogies:

It's funny that you mention that, because an LCD for your "DMD" taxes the CPU hard when you have 3 monitors. Running two monitors, I.E. your setups, usually has no problem at all running "DMD". Using a real DMD and a PinDMD doesn't tax the CPU like a third monitor. I've done a few setups (3 monitor and 3rd DMD) and a real DMD is way smoother install and better performance than a 3rd monitor.
    Its awesome that there is now a RGB DMD so the best of both worlds is obtainable

A third monitor has zero impact on the CPU. It would be all video card and as long as the video card has enough ram (since there is no 3D processing on the other monitors) there is zero impact there as well. The most basic systems can run 3 monitors ultra smooth on one video card. Sorry but your response is just plain wrong.

A real DMD limits the whole idea of running a multi platform virtual machine into converting it into only a visual pinball machine.

#1390 8 years ago

I'm sorry man, but using XP is just too ridiculous to even consider this a valid scenario. This isn't 2007 anymore. It's not valid to move to pindmd to allow use of XP. That's super silly.

#1397 8 years ago
    Quoted from Phod:

Ok still locked up on 9.92
    I ran speccy to get all of the specs on this comp and did notice that it has two gpus, a GTx 460 and a GTx 210. Now it says that the GTx 460 is running both the play field and the backglass. The 210 only seems to run the dmd. Is that okay? Most of the time I seem to see that the main gpu only runs the play field.

Man the days of XP and 2 video cards to handle 3 monitors are long past. Cant the 460 run 3 monitors? Just pull the 210 out. If not, maybe a cheap 750TI to run all 3 monitors and replace your two cards is a good idea.

#1404 8 years ago

Gregh43: looks like you enabled stereoscopic 3d

#1406 8 years ago
    Quoted from gregh43:

Hmmm..MarkMon how do I diasble that. Thanks

Come on man. At least make an effort. These things are in GUI based settings not a complex command line or config file. Load vpinball and poke around the settings. You'll find it unless you're seriously trying not to.

#1409 8 years ago

Hey phod: this one should do:
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IDG3PRI

Pull your other two, add this and hook up all 3 monitors. Install the driver. You can download the driver before pulling the old cards to save yourself some time working in default resolutions. Then reconfigure your monitor rotations and graphics settings like max prerendered frames to 1 etc. I would not install Gforce experience. You don't want anything promoting you or bugging you in a pin cab.

#1412 8 years ago

The 740 is not enough power. Don't bother with that.

2 weeks later
    #1443 8 years ago
    Quoted from 85vett:

So, pinball arcade works without the camera mod. When I use the camera mod it crashes 100% of the time when I select the TOTAN table (only table right now). Also, I can't make any adjustments at all to the camera mod when it first loads in TPA as all setting as greyed out.
    heck, and I was beginning to wonder why I stopped using my virtual cab and quit building tables. Less than one day of wanting to get back into things I'm already so pissed at it that I'm ready to sell it again and be done with virtual pinball all together.

I have never gotten the camera mod to work. You shouldn't worry about pinball arcade when you have vp in my opinion.

All these things need to be rotated on the fly. For my cabinet, vp is an after thought so the whole thing boots into portrait mode and rotates landscape only for vp. As of vp10, there is no reason to rotate the monitor to landscape anymore but people are so set in their ways they still insist on designing tables that require rotation.

#1445 8 years ago
    Quoted from gregh43:

was thinking on upgrading my Video Card. I have the Gigabyte Geforce 760GTX 2GB . Looking
    at the GeForce 980GTX 4GB. Would I benefit
    any with a faster card or just throwing away $500. appreciate your opinions. Thanks.

Throwing away $500 and generating addional heat in your cabinet.

#1449 8 years ago
    Quoted from BorgDog:

Well, unless you plan on going the VR route then the horsepower would be nice.
    » YouTube video

VR has nothing to do with a pinball cabinet. They're completely different use cases and set ups. Not sure why you would even bring it up here.

#1451 8 years ago
    Quoted from BorgDog:

did you watch the video?

I did. You could have a controller with buttons like they had but you would definitely not do this in a pincab

#1454 8 years ago
    Quoted from gregh43:

anyone know if turning on hardware rendering in VP settings will increase performance? thanks

So you're saying it's easier to ask this here and wait several hours for a response than it is to put a check in checkbox and test a game???

3 months later
    #1529 7 years ago
    Quoted from pudluther:

what's it supposed to look like? is that why it's trying to "look twice" as it appears in that error message?

Under table path just put tables

#1535 7 years ago

Windows 10 is way worse for a headless machine. As it forces auto Windows update constantly, you'll be constantly waiting for updates to install as you boot. Then it'll have a ton more tray notifications that need to be clicked away. You'll be pulling the keyboard out very often. A lot of this can be turned off but not all of it.

#1539 7 years ago
    Quoted from ronaldvg:

This disables every notification:
    http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/disable-all-notification-balloons-in-windows-vista/
    And this disables the updates:
    http://www.howtogeek.com/224471/how-to-prevent-windows-10-from-automatically-downloading-updates/
    edit: first link says vista but read the first paragraph, it is for every Windows version up to 10.

Unfortunately it doesn't disable everything. I'm not saying it's impossible to finally quiet Windows 10, but it is going to take a while to get it all.

I've done the above to disable Windows 10 updates and it seems critical ones still come through.

#1540 7 years ago
    Quoted from orangestorm87:

So anyone get the new Zaccaria pinball tables working on their cabs?

Yes of course.

#1548 7 years ago
    Quoted from gregh43:

anyone thats using Win10 on their cab. did you notice anything differnt or improvement with Visual Pinball? then with Win7 . only few days left for the free upgrade. Thanks

There won't be improvements. Vp supports only dx9 which is xp

2 weeks later
    #1554 7 years ago
    Quoted from SadSack:

Greg, I just finished up a MAME multi-racer running XP on a P4-3.4. http://pinballmd.com/multi-racer-software-buttoned-up/

I converted 4 rush cabinets into PC based racers and they play all the games yours listed plus ps2/GameCube/wii racers upscaled. But the best part is the pc native racers. Everyone just plays need for speed hot pursuit using the burnout engine. Nothing I've seen comes close to the fun of that multiplayer.

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

4 weeks later
    #1561 7 years ago
    Quoted from maffewl:

Hey everyone. Several years ago (2013) I was in the process of building a virtual pinball, but unfortunately life got in the way. I'm now looking back into it as a compliment to my other pinball machines. However, now that I've hooked everything back up, and that I'm used to the "real thing", I'm noticing a delay in the flippers that I guess I didn't notice before. I've read others run into this issue and that there may be some settings I can tinker with. The video card I'm running is a GTX660. Can anyone help guide me as to what settings to look at or adjust? Any help would be appreciated!

Make sure you have enabled game mode in any monitor TV you're using. The displays could have a ton of delay introduced. Not all displays are the same. Some suck and some are great.

Next, ditch VP8 and VP9 those all suck a ton for flipper physics, feel, lag etc. Use only VP9 physmod and VP10. There you can set "max prerendered frames" to 1 and disable vsync. That will make a big difference. Video card default is to render 3 frames before displaying. At 60fps, 3 frames adds another 48ms of delay.

On pinball fx2, you have to do a lot to get it really snappy but it can be the snappiest software available once done. That would be max prerenderd frames to 1 in nvidia control panel for the pinball fx2 process, vsync forced off and nvidia inspector set up to limit frame rate at 120fps (to allow some of the tables like spiderman to play correctly).

2 weeks later
    #1600 7 years ago
    Quoted from selektor6:

Have you set pinballx to run as administrator?

Not required for a long time now

2 months later
    #1662 7 years ago
    Quoted from 85vett:

Anyone running MAME on their Pinball Cab? I've been trying to set it up but for the life of me I can't figure out two things.
    - How do I get the games to play on my second monitor? Using MAME version 1.72 and I don't see this in any of the .ini files. Found one setting about displays but no matter what setting I a make it just blacks out my other monitors and wont move the game to the other displays.
    - How do you get rid of the grainy/blocky looks? I saw something about HLSL settings but am having a hard time figuring out what to do. I know it can look good on LCD screens as all the new cabs are LCD but mine looks worse than an old school atari game.

The "screen0" option on your mame.ini controls your monitor used. It defaults to auto. Settings can be:
    screen0 \\.\DISPLAY1
    screen0 \\.\DISPLAY2

To get older games looking OK, I like to apply a scanline filter:
    effect scanlines
    but this requires having scanlines.png in the artwork folder. It gets rid of a ton of the blockiness though.

#1674 7 years ago

Hey 85vett, Im guessing you should change this:
    numscreens 2
    to
    numscreens 1

and you have a bunch of your video options duplicated. There's an #OSD video options section and a #Video options section. I'm not even sure what the behavior is when you do this. Perhaps the 2nd occurrence overrides the first?

#1682 7 years ago

Numscreens must be 1. I don't see the section with screen0 anymore at all. But I'd try both the display2 and display1 options and if you have 3 monitors perhaps even display3. These are windows enumerations not how they show in display properties. Perhaps just screen rather than screen0. Here is from the docs:

Per-window options
    -screen <display>
    -screen0 <display>
    -screen1 <display>
    -screen2 <display>
    -screen3 <display>

Specifies which physical monitor on your system you wish to have each window use by default. In order to use multiple windows, you must have increased the value of the -numscreens option. The name of each display in your system can be determined by running MAME with the -verbose option. The display names are typically in the format of: \\.\DISPLAYn, where ‘n’ is a number from 1 to the number of connected monitors. The default value for these options is ‘auto‘, which means that the first window is placed on the first display, the second window on the second display, etc.

The -screen0, -screen1, -screen2, -screen3 parameters apply to the specific window. The -screen parameter applies to all windows. The window-specific options override values from the all window option.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider markmon.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/virtual-pinball-club?tu=markmon and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.