Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 3,989 posts
  • 352 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 days ago by Smaug
  • Topic is favorited by 271 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

TFTC FlyerA (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    IMG_0466 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0465 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0464 (resized).JPG
    Top10pro (resized).png
    Top10pro (resized).png
    20240129_125402.png
    Fireballxl5 (resized).png
    2023-12-31 19.32.48 (resized).jpg
    2023-11-17 22.19.51 (resized).jpg
    2023-11-11 03.07.25 (resized).jpg
    2023-11-11 01.58.53 (resized).jpg
    poster2 (resized).png
    411392839_735139934899280_8496203559983449797_n (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ksp1138.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2729 2 years ago
    Quoted from delt31:

You need a monitor. TVs, unless equipped with 120hz, will really cause a lot of ball stutter as many mentioned already. I'm just saying the price being charged here - you should either have a better tv or a proper monitor vs what they are giving.

I'm running at 4k 60hz with a TCL 43 inch TV in the cabinet I built and see zero ball stutter with visual pinball. Running in game mode on that TV the input lag is about as low as it can theoretically get with 60hz. If you get any stuttering at 60hz then it is probably something with your settings - vsync, exclusive fullscreen vs. windowed, and other quality settings in visual pinball that exceed the capabilities of your video card. Yes, 120hz is better and would reduce flipper lag, but when I built my cabinet a couple years ago a 43 inch gaming monitor was just a little more expensive than the TV.

#2731 2 years ago
    Quoted from delt31:

Sorry but you need to see a setup with 120 and you will instantly see what I mean. 60hz vs 120hz when it comes to vpx is important. It’s just a fact.

I play at 144hz on my desktop too. Almost identical hardware to what is in my cabinet. I know exactly what I'm missing.

#2736 2 years ago
    Quoted from ronaldvg:

I would like to add to this discussion that just looking at the Hz of a TV is not enough. Even more important is the input lag. The input lag is the time it takes for an action you perform (pressing the flipper button) to be made in the game and shown on the screen. Most TV's do not have great input lag exceeding 30ms and even up to 70ms.
    I had a very good Sony TV, with the lowest input lag possible on a TV but it was (for me) unplayable. Too much lag. With the mentioned Asus 43" there is absolutely no lag, in none of the tables. In my testing I found that an GTX 1660 Super was enough even for the most taxing tables. I tested with Tales of the Arabian Nights 4K, Cirques Voltaire 4K and Batman 66.
    Part of why everybody is so hating against vpin's is that the so called high-end machines are really not high-end. Just the price tag is. Only way to get a really good vpin is to make it or have it made by an enthousiast, not a commercial business. They just cannot make a really good vpin for reasonable money. Way too much work. And selling it with the tables installed is just immoral. I tend to agree that the makers of the tables also infringe on the IP of the manufacturers, but they do not get paid for it. If you sell a vpin with the tables and software installed that is for many people the main reason to buy them, even if the business that sells it claims they do not charge for it.
    Also, if you do not want to make the effort of maintaining the system, you will get behind in updates and so on, even taking more away from a good experience. My advise when you dop not want to invest in the knowledge needed for a vpin would be: buy a real pinball machine.

Yes 100%, you want the input lag to be as low as possible. It's good to hear that the Asus monitor works well for pinball. I thought I read somewhere that it was about 9-10ms, which isn't best for FPS games, but probably good enough for pinball. The TCL TV I have is somewhere between 13-15ms. I'd need to see the price drop well under $1000 to upgrade it. I'm running the playfield, DMD, backglass, and a topper off a RTX 2060 (which also mines ethereum when I'm not playing).

The prices on some of those pre-built ones are insane.

#2740 2 years ago
    Quoted from starfighter:

I'm still doing build research, but I believe I can create a high end machine for 4K - 4.5K. Not knocking the guys that want a turn key for 8K, I just want to create and control the end result myself.

You should be able to build one yourself for that amount or less easily. I started with a virtuapin widebody flat-pack for the cabinet, and ended up spending about 2.5K, but I already had a couple monitors, speakers, amps, external sub, wire, etc. The 2060 was only a little over 300 back then though, and they were in stock everywhere. The hardest part for me was figuring out the best way to mount the monitors.

#2745 2 years ago
    Quoted from gregh43:

Easier Said then done for building a virtual. someone like myself that isn't skilled in woodwork,wiring, mounting etc.. there are so many builds and differnt styles of Vp machines that people built. I would like something professionally done. anyone of you that say you build machines for cheaper. then how about you build me one ill pay for all the components and pay $1500 for labor. Thanks

Sorry, the easily part was referring to the cost if you have the skills to do it yourself. And if you've ever built your own PC and installed a car stereo you probably do. You don't really need woodworking experience, unless you count gluing/screwing boards together and drilling some holes for buttons. Even better if you can find an old gutted cabinet somewhere.

#2746 2 years ago
    Quoted from delt31:

Yep - I agree. You are definitely missing.

You said 4k60 has a lot of ball stutter. It doesn't with proper settings in vpx. It is less smooth than 120, which I'm not arguing.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ksp1138.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/virtual-pinball-club?tu=ksp1138 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.