Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 3,991 posts
  • 352 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 days ago by Mr_Outlane
  • Topic is favorited by 271 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

TFTC FlyerA (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    IMG_0466 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0465 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0464 (resized).JPG
    Top10pro (resized).png
    Top10pro (resized).png
    20240129_125402.png
    Fireballxl5 (resized).png
    2023-12-31 19.32.48 (resized).jpg
    2023-11-17 22.19.51 (resized).jpg
    2023-11-11 03.07.25 (resized).jpg
    2023-11-11 01.58.53 (resized).jpg
    poster2 (resized).png
    411392839_735139934899280_8496203559983449797_n (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider delt31.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#837 8 years ago

if anyone is planning on selling their VP, PM me as I'm interested in buying as my current deal might fall through. thanks.

1 week later
    #864 8 years ago
    Quoted from PoMC:

Picked up a virtual pin cabinet that's loaded with a shaker motor, two LED wiz's, flashers, LED strips, under cab lighting, accelerometer, 42" playfield TV, 32" backbox and LCD monitor for the DMD area. I just need to wire up the 12 solenoids and build a PC for it.
    What are the recommended PC specs and video card specs so there's no flipper lag? Every virtual pin I've played seemed to have some slight amount of flipper lag and it made playing the game not enjoyable at all.

virtual_pinball.jpg

wow - YOU HAVE TO BE KIDDING ME!

I was confirmed by the seller of that pinball machine (USER ID - jasong78) to be the buyer. As a result, I bought everything for it (PC, etc) that was needed and told the seller this. Was just waiting on him to schedule a time to pick it up. Seller tells me that his child recently was born and that he'll need to reschedule. Been ZERO messages since then even though I've reached out a number of times just to see what was up. Now I see he sold the f'n machine to someone else? WTF? Not mad at you (new buyer) and the seller can do whatever they want but have the respect to tell the person you've been dealing with (and already put money into setting up - bought the full pc) that it's no longer for sale. I have to find out on a f'n pinside thread? Seriously?

#874 8 years ago

do all of the cool toys on these VP tables work with pinball arcade yet? For example, the solenoids, shaker, LEDs, etc? Or is that stuff limited to homebrew apps like VP?

#877 8 years ago

thanks - for me VP even at VPX still looks rough and plays like it's homebrew. Not to say it's not great - it def is having that option but what got me into VP is the pinball arcade as the tables really look great and play even better. Hopefully that hack makes the DOF enabled for PA and I can find another VP table to try it out ; )

3 weeks later
    #953 8 years ago

I guess I'll need to revisit VPX but last I played, compared to Pinball Arcade (DX 11 version maxed out), it was def worse in comparison. Graphics were much better on PA as was physics. Can't comment on DOF.

Is there a good Addams family or TZ for VPX?

#955 8 years ago
    Quoted from pudluther:

i just downloaded it, but so far the table i've played the most is Star Trek (stern). that table is absolutely fantastic, from both a graphics and physics/playability standpoint. easily as good as anything i've seen with TPA on my ps4 or xbox one (i don't have TPA on my cab yet).

I will give it a go. Do you have a link to the game and do I just need to install the VPX full version? Already have VP9.X on my machine. Might as well link where you're getting all your tables too.

Here is the list of tables I see on the VP forum but didn't see ST:

http://www.vpforums.org/index.php?app=downloads&showcat=50&sort_order=ASC&sort_key=file_name&num=10&st=20

#960 8 years ago

pretty cool that stern offers the game code file. Does that just go in the VPMAME rom folder? (Star trek)?

seems like no TAF or TZ for now....

#962 8 years ago

I gave the final t2 and other Pinball arcade games for comparison and PA still wipes VPX away with just finish and polish. I applaud the guys creating these tables for Visual Pinball use but must be missing something big when others say VP is better than PA.

#963 8 years ago

must be doing something wrong with the rom placement b/c getting error with the new stern ones (pinmame has an error saying can't find rom yet the rom is in the right folder) - metallica and ST. Says rom set missing.

EDIT - you have to change the rom code d/l from stern to match the game script so ST had to change to st_161.bin and then rezipped that to st161 and now it works.

#965 8 years ago
    Quoted from pudluther:

check the script and make sure the ROM is the right one. i had a similar problem...fren helped me out:

Screen_Shot_2016-01-02_at_9.59.47_PM_(resized).png

thanks - just realized the same and edited my post.

EDIT 2!

Damn tron. I did everything right which got ST and Metallica to work but now tron gives me machine terminated early after it's about to start. weird.

#977 8 years ago
    Quoted from paulohotline:

Actually I am the one saying that even VP ver Phymod 5 still kicks the butt of TPA in every category; Graphics, Physics, Playability etc, etc...
    95+ polished PM5 tables can be downloaded here including TZ and T2 Chrome -> https://mega.co.nz/#F!fgI0RaqC!hk0_TR9YDaiBl8emF-lRHg
    I have all 66 TPA tables installed in my cab using the FreeCamMod in full screen and apples to apples its not even close It's not even fair when you add in DOF with force feedback, light shows and shaker motor.

Will give those tables a try and report back thanks. Thoroughly one sided for PA as of now so hopefully these respond and look better bc to your point DOF doesn't work on PA .

#995 8 years ago

played demo man posted here and def a step in the right direction. Graphics aren't close to the polish of PA though but physics are def better than what I've seen elsewhere for VPX.

Anyway to get the sound on the demo table higher as the music in particular and sound effects seem low yet my volume is cranked. In addition, the table doesn't seem to work well on a vertical/cab look (entire monitor is not taken up).

#997 8 years ago

OK - so I went through all of the games attached via mega (the physics mod ones) and they are def the best ones I've played thus far. Quality and physics are def a step up and good enough for me to enjoy. In fact for the ones not available on pinball arcade, it's a great way to enjoy them. That being said, the VP tables attached here that are also available are PA don't even compare to the quality that is PA. Keep in mind I am playing PA maxed out on my PC (not tablet, etc). Graphics are better on PA (more polished/complete) - take the getaway for example. On VP, you can see where the author sliced together the scans and items where in PA, it's all one package and looks seemless/professional. Yes VP is free but I rather pay and get a maxed out table. More importantly the physics are consistent and overall much better on PA than VP. I can understand how DOF can make the VP fun but to say PA doesn't compare to these VP tables is absolutely crazy. Thanks for posting these though b/c games like back to the future and turtles, etc are good enough for me to enjoy.

#999 8 years ago

It's all good I just keep on reading how VP is much better than PA and just comparing each in the same fashion (table quality physics), I don't agree and just listing that here. I still will very much play VP for games not on PA and thanks to this thread I have great versions of them.

1 month later
    #1248 8 years ago

Any place near Pittsburgh where you can try out a virtual pin (fully loaded - with shakers, etc)? I ask b/c I'm thinking about going virtual and selling my two pins but want to try it out first before fully committing.....

Maybe even a pinball show coming up near the area?

#1250 8 years ago

Well that's the thing - not sure I would but want to try a fully loaded one to see if it's good. I like the idea of 100 games in one and no maintenance. Obviously the flip side is if it feels real enough!

#1256 8 years ago

I would like to try out a fully loaded to see what there is to offer. Too bad they're not readily available to try out. As for "pincab" is that a brand or just a ref to a VP table?

I might end up selling one of mine (likely not the GnR) and buying a VP. I only have room for 2....

I still can't get over though how much these tables are. I build PCs and know it's a joke to pay for what is needed to run these tables. Otherwise, tvs (which they basically give away) and wood? Seems like you're paying for labor, configuration and wiring which I get (hardware for the feedback isn't expensive at all) but the fully loaded seems to sell for 6-8+k which seems crazy. Too bad they're not more reasonable but it is what it is.....

#1261 8 years ago
    Quoted from gregh43:

Right On Njgsx96. I didnt know how to build one or nor did I want to try to build one. I sold a few pins and invested $6000 for mine. after looking inside the cabinet and seeing all the wiring and mounting the screens and computer . all the precise measuring. Not for me. yeah the cost is up there if you want a decent professional looking machine. I thought it was alot of money. but well worth it when you consider buying 1 new pinball game that can cost about $6,000 to $7,000 and with a VPin you can play hundreds of tables. since i had my machine i havent even played any of my real pins. I wish I would have known about VPCabs .They are super awesome . after seeing their website and the positive feedback from owners they seem outstanding and stand by what they sell. if and when i buy another VP it would be from them.

Although limited, what I've seen from VP cabs is very good (price aside). They seem like very nice people looking to help out.

#1293 8 years ago

Does anyone have pinball graphic art that can be printed and applied to a cabinet. For example, TOF or TZ? If so PM me. Thinking about jumping into VP and would like to apply art so it looks real deal.

#1300 8 years ago

guys - do the virtual tables allow you to apply or use update code or change music? For example, my Jurassic has the latest rom from Chad which is a MAJOR improvement than stock. Can the same updates and rule changes be applied to the virtual table? For GnR I have a pinsound card which allows custom music. In the virtual table, can you add your own music that is incorporated into the game (not just MP3 music that plays over top)?

#1302 8 years ago

Good to hear. How about the rules/rom itself? Would you be able to apply the new rom for jurassic park in a VP setting?

7 months later
    #1569 7 years ago

I've been going back and forth on getting one if these and recently bought a vive (virtual reality). Tried future pinball and it's very impressive. Just a thought for those who are interested in this. Space saving fully 3d and pinball arcade support coming very soon. It's actually cheaper too.

#1575 7 years ago

apparently now pinball arcade might just be doing VR for the new stern pinball arcade which would really suck (I like the older titles). Since that's prob the case, I might be interested in getting a force feedback VP. If you have one to sell, PM me. I will be selling my addams family (likely) for this if interested. trade + cash on your end. thanks

#1579 7 years ago
    Quoted from selektor6:

I really hope that's not true. I do enjoy PBA. The physics are a little different for each different program. VP10 has been pretty good even compared to pinball arcade. The ball just has more weight to it, not so floaty. Pinball FX2 is awesome with the infinite possibilities and graphics and the licenses.
    An Addams Family 4 virtualpin? That is tempting.... even with some cash thrown your way. I definitely recommend getting yourself a vpin though.

well not sure yet - want to see what's out there first but I think I'm destined for VP. Really hope Pinball arcade ends up releasing all of their tables.

btw - does TPA support force feedback now?

#1585 7 years ago

future pinball tables although look good - just don't play nearly as well. Been playing them in VR and really been disappointed with the physics (even after the adjustments that are avail - it's still not as good as VP and doesn't even come close to TPA which is my fav).

3 weeks later
    #1639 7 years ago
    Quoted from dsmoke1986:

Sorry for the late reply, hadn't been on this thread.
    I am loving the vertigo, it is really functional; I've had a lot of Arcade Cabs over the years, and having a cab like this that takes up no space, and can be moved to basically anywhere in my game room is awesome. I have a ton of Mame roms that I loaded on there, and it was already loaded with all the zen pinball and like 150 VP roms, so it's great to be able to bounce from Wrestlefest to NBA Jam to Mercs to Ms PacMan to Golden Tee to classic pins and then to pinball fx titles. I highly recommend; the only downside is that you can't play two player on the beat em ups like TMNT, but I'm thinking of adding an Xbox 360 wireless controller, so should be able to play 2player that way.

no 2 player? Wow that is a deal breaker (for me -but I would assume a lot of other people as well). These games are shallow enough - multi is what makes these games shine and that person needs to be next you shoulder to shoulder.

4 months later
    #1756 7 years ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

I finished wiring up my VR pinball cabinet this weekend and it works great with Pinball FX2 VR. This is easily the most immersive virtual pinball experience I've had. I'm blown away by just how good and fun VR pinball is with the Oculus Rift and a cabinet controller.
    Space wise the cabinet is great as it's only the first 10" of a real pinball cabinet (built to same specs) which also makes it easy to move. Total cost for the VR pinball cabinet + VR headset (Oculus Rift) + a high end gaming PC is around $2200-$2500. That's a big cost but the headset and especially PC can be used for a lot of other things besides VR pinball.

What pinball software are you using with this VR setup? I don't believe there are any classic games in VR besides that Future Pinball add on which due to FP physics, is not the best. Otherwise pinball fx which is native VR but not original tables. TPA is expected to be in VR but it's taking FOREVER and the person who modded TPA for VR, refuses to update the software even after I offered good money!

1 month later
    #1777 6 years ago

Looking to buy a VP mini if anyone has one with lights, feedback, etc. I saw the one offered here but it's in RI and just too far. I believe seller is no longer selling.

I can do the software side of things too if there is something available with hardware ready to go. I might prefer that!

#1780 6 years ago

Sorry Ed I thought you said it was being worked on and therefore no longer for sale. My misunderstanding

#1782 6 years ago

Thinking about getting a table as noted above. Does anyone know for VP cabs - can you install The Pinball Arcade AND have force feedback? This is assuming table has feedback of course. I know it comes with a front end built in but I don't believe TPA games are included right? If not, and I have it on steam, I'm able to use right? Does it work with the cab (Backglass, DMD and PF)?

#1784 6 years ago

damn. Not even nudge works?! jeeze. I just think TPAs physics are the best. Does that mean not even the RGB LEDs will go off either?

Also - does anyone know if the vp cabs mini has force feedback or nudge ability? Or the size of the TVs? They removed it from their website.

#1792 6 years ago

guys - I'm assuming you can access and upgrade the components of a VP cab if you want correct? About to join the club and wanted to know. Also anyone recall what CPU and GPU is in the LE model (now called wizard)? Is it the same 960 and i5? thanks!

#1794 6 years ago

Thanks - thought I could and build computers so this will work well. I actually have VPX, etc and familiar with the software as I was using it on my PC but now I want to try the VP out. Been thinking about it for a year or so (posted on this topic earlier) but switched to VR which is awesome but pinball arcade is either no longer releasing it or delaying it to the point I can't wait. Plus I want to just play something without the headset on.

Moving forward here, I understand the LE or wizard has force feedback. I understand I can put whatever i want on the machine as it's just a PC waiting to be tinkered with. What i don't understand is for new games (VPX) does the force feedback need to be configured (or does anything like screens, backglass, etc) need to be configured again or will the machine use the settings already established with the games on it already (since the table functionality shouldn't change). I'm assuming it will need to be configured and if so, best place to learn how for feedback? Also since you just did TPA, any tips/lessons b/c I def want it on my machine. I believe it will lay out like a real pin (DMD,etc) and although no feedback or nudge, I would like to have the option. I've played all the tables and TPA feels the best and looks the best to me although VPX is making a really good case and I think that does have feedback right?

#1804 6 years ago

guys - about to get an LE/Wizard vp cab. Can those lights that go off in the back (5 or so) can you make them darker and brighter? If not, can you replace the bulbs themselves?

#1807 6 years ago

OK thanks. Also for the DMD screen itself - it's a color dmd but some of the games I've seen display it in the normal red. To get color on the DMD for these games, do I need to update that myself or do i just download a file to make it color. Ex - TOM

#1809 6 years ago

Great - thanks!!

#1810 6 years ago

One other question - the vp cab comes with a real plunger and a plunger button. I hate using the button for games that have a real plunger in real life. Example - the machine is currently configured to use the "button" plunger in twilight zone (hold enables a stronger plunger). Am I able to configure this within the TZ table itself so my vp cab uses the plunger and NOT the button? The real plunger on the machine works.

#1811 6 years ago

New owner - impressed with how it does simulate a real pinball feel especially with feedback and shaker. Have a vpcab LE/Wizard btw,
    2 Questions:
    1) The nudge def works but it needs to be made easier to do (want more sensitivity out of it). How do I do that?
    2) Not sure if this is normal but after I select the game and it starts, if the volume is loud I can hear distortion or that crackling sound kick on right when the DMD loads up. If I start the game I can't really notice but I kind of know it's there. I'm thinking there is contact being made somewhere to cause the hiss nose. Try to fiddle around but don't want to mess up as it's playing well....

EDIT - did some more research and when I actual click the DMD area with mouse it stops the sound but the game stops too. Its as if the translite or something is also playing in that DMD panel but underneath it and it might be causing that hiss. Again might be normal bc I dont hear it too much when playing....not sure as I'm new to this.

#1814 6 years ago

Old dragon I might have the same as you. It's le from 2015. Here is a pic of the DMD. You see how beneath it is almost the Addams family backglass? See bottom of the pic. Is that correct as I think it had something to do with the DMD why the volume at Max causing this noise.

20170506_142550 (resized).jpg20170506_142550 (resized).jpg

I also want to make the DMD blue not orange... How do you do that?

Edit by pressing f12 I was able to reset volume from 0 to -32. When I pressed it the sound goes away (just being in the vpinmame volume box). Once I change value (any value) same thing the box goes away and that noise re appears....

EDIT 2 So I moved the dmd pic out of it's space and it seems an animated backglass is playing where the DMD goes. Whenever I click on the DMD the noise goes away....

20170506_145413 (resized).jpg20170506_145413 (resized).jpg

#1815 6 years ago

Here is a video of the sound. When I click on the DMD the sound stopped temporarily and then goes back on once I click back to the table to play

#1816 6 years ago
    Quoted from delt31:

Here is a video of the sound. When I click on the DMD the sound stopped temporarily and then goes back on once I click back to the table to play
    » YouTube video

EDIT - upon further testing it's not DMD related. The noise stops when I click off of the table PF. Once I click back to the PF and the action starts that noise is made. can someone on their machine crank the volume to max before a game starts (no music) to see if they can hear it? You cant really when the game starts

EDIT 2 - animated backglass is currently on the same screen as my DMD. How do I get that to go on my backglass screen when using VP? Right now my backglass is showing the backglass used during pinball X. Looking into it further seems like screenres.txt needs to be adjusted in tables folder...

EDIT 3 - I'm keeping a trail here so newbies like me can learn from my experience.....I was able to fix it (make my DMD setup right and animated background on backglass) by editing the screenres.txt. Important to make that read only as my pinball x was changing it after I loaded the game as there is a setting in Pinx that was on auto. I could have changed that too to no but decided to do both (auto to no and read only on the file)! Made a backup too!

Now I just need to figure out that sound. Think it's coming from cables potentially. It's not even that bad when the game runs though so maybe it is normal.

1 week later
    #1821 6 years ago

So I had a lock up occur mid game that required me to manually reboot system. When I went to turn back on it booted up but no picture anywhere.... Said no signal. I checked GPU and hard drive on my own PC and they are fine. I thought the cmos needed to be reset so removed the battery with power off and went to boot up and this time I don't have any power!

Any thoughts here? There are two power supplies in this can. One closest to the door allows the thing to boot up by pressing button underneath. The other psu is connected to mobo. If I drain the power out by holding power in while it's unplugged and then put the plug back into the wall I can see the PSU send power for 5 seconds to the main board and then it stops.

I've already reached out to VP cabs who have been great this far but thought I would ask here as well.

#1823 6 years ago

just did the pin method on the psu connected to computer and it works great. Not sure i can get to the one inside the unit but will try.

#1825 6 years ago

OK. I actually got the power back on! Back to booting up and into "no signal" on the screens.

EDIT - fixed it myself. Had to reset CMOS by jumping. All is good! plays perfectly

2 months later
    #1830 6 years ago

thought I would report back after spending a ton of time on my virtual (VP Cabs Wizard with Feeback). Everything is perfect now - sound, speed, etc. I even upgraded the gfx and VPX games are coming out almost every day and play really well. Great time to own a VP!

7 months later
    #1919 6 years ago

I bought the zebs one for mine and it was well worth it.

#1921 6 years ago

I haven't checked this club out recently but apparently the new GB LE VP table was released along with some other nice VPX. I don't have my pin anymore but I kind of miss updating it constantly with better versions.

1 month later
    #1981 5 years ago

Thinking about getting back into the club. If you're tired of yours and local reach out.

Want force feedback... Used to own avpcavs wizard. Very familiar with how they work and what is needed. Thanks!

1 month later
    #1985 5 years ago

That looks awesome

3 weeks later
    #2000 5 years ago

really some of the nicest vpins I've seen. Too bad you're not here in the states!

3 weeks later
    #2013 5 years ago

hey guys - thinking about rejoining the club. If anyone is thinking about selling theirs (and it has force feedback - which would be imperative), reach out.

Thanks!

1 month later
    #2017 5 years ago

So I'm back in the club. Edit - all good!

#2023 5 years ago

My current cab has these

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/20-9663-1

I would like to replace them with the standard pinball buttons:

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/A-16883-4

Can I do this without rewiring these? The buttons work fine but I prefer the classic buttons found on my real ones.

Even if I could somehow remove the color button from it's casing and replace it with the concave button that would work!

#2025 5 years ago
    Quoted from Paul_from_Gilroy:

As I recall, those buttons are quite different. How about getting the standard concave buttons plus leaf switches? I guess that involves "rewiring", but it's pretty simple and would feel more like a real machine, I think.

I guess it would involve resoldering the wires to the leaf switch? Do you know which leaf switch I would need?

#2029 5 years ago

I'm also updating to 4k and building a beast of a machine! Not going to be cheap but worth it. I have a professionally built cab with MM side art

The last config above me is awesome although the CPU is overkill I love the passion! 1070 or above GPU for 4k it's necessary
    I'm going 1070 ti

#2035 5 years ago
    Quoted from nickbuol:

For comparison, here is my virtual build next to my Theatre of Magic pinball. Zero visible bezel on the playfield or backglass display. Plunger in the right spot (not dropped down or off to the side oddly).
    I have been having troubles with the addressable LED strips on the sides (also recessed into the sides of the cabinet above the playfield) and the LED matrix in the back, so they aren't visible as they are also covered with anti-glare privacy film and tinted plexi, just like my DMD so that there is zero reflection off of the glass or playfield screen from the DMD or any of the LEDs (I tested with a $20 LED controller off of Amazon, so I just need to figure out the Teensy board any why it isn't sending the signal for in game LEDs).[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Nice build!!!

So pin2dmd is full color too? I thought only Pin3dmd? ALso - where did you get the tinted plex for the DMD itself?

#2038 5 years ago

4k tv/monitor update -

I ended up buying both a 43 inch LG 4k tv (43UK6300) with very low input lag and the ACER 43 monitor (ET430k). I first received the LG and was happy - nice PQ, no flipper lag. Then the ACER came in and blew it away. PQ is so much better and response time being quicker led to a super clear game of pin. The only negative is the input lag is a tad higher but still flipper lag pretty much not there.

Clear winner is the ACER.....

#2040 5 years ago
    Quoted from jesperpark:

Have you tried/added the "fastflips" option that has been added lately? Brings Pinmame response time from 18ms down to under 2ms. Every little bit helps, when I add fastflips to a table my score increases as lag is decreased.

I've seen this recently - is that an option that exists in the table or vpx? Playing more today, the lag is virtually not even there but like you said, I'll try it out!

#2042 5 years ago
    Quoted from jesperpark:

It's table by table for now, there was some work being done on being a blanket option

OK I need to see how you manually apply it. I know some come with it built in.

2 months later
    #2069 5 years ago
    Quoted from luckymoey:

Your best bet is to be patient and buy a used one from craigslist or someplace else. I've seen very good home builds and even Virtuapins for $2000-$3000. Don't buy a new one from eBay unless you're OK with immediately loosing several thousand in value.
    I bought a very good home build for the low 2's then sold it for about the same and picked up a top of the line Virtuapin for about $3k.
    I have real pins at my home but a virtual at my cabin. It's not a substitute for the real thing but I look forward to playing all the different games when we're there every few weeks. If noise isn't an issue, Pin 2000 and Safecracker are good options for a condo.

That's an amazing deal to buy one already made at that price (3k even). A nice build with full force that you didn't build yourself is more 4800-5500 and that's not including the ones that are 4k great PC graphics card etc

2 months later
    9 months later
    #2231 4 years ago

just got vpx vr working well with my rift S and it's absolutely bonkers. I see no reason now to build another physical cab. The 3d really tricks the brain.

If anyone wants to build me a small controller with force feedback and nudge, PM me.

Really impressed. SS at 1.75 it's so clear. Running a GTX 1080 with i5 8600k and 16gb ram and it's playing well.

1 week later
    #2244 4 years ago
    Quoted from DudeRegular:

Anybody found a good build or place to buy one of the "pinsim" style controllers for VR? I would love to have nudging and some feedback added in there. Thanks!

Same here!

7 months later
    #2318 3 years ago
    Quoted from Oneangrymo:

OMG this VP stuff seems to be more complicated then a real pinball machine. With a real one I just order a part and screw it in, VP I have to use windows! (sad music).
    I guess I better start reading...

if you don't know computers well or understand how they work, I would advise you don't do this. Strongly advise and I'm someone that has worked on these things for years.

1 week later
    #2342 3 years ago

Man I just want to buy one of these pinsim controllers but hardware only. Where can I buy? I don't need software.

#2347 3 years ago
    Quoted from Psw757:

Pretty sure retro play is using vp 10.6 beta in their cabs according to one of their many YouTube vids.
    Spoke with them yesterday and they are so busy it’s a 20+ week wait to get a cab. Couldn’t believe it.

wow that's crazy. The profit margins on these things is INSANE

#2395 3 years ago

I don't understand why folks are buying big bulky virtual pins when you can get a VR system and play vpx in virtual reality. Not only is it a space saver but you get the depth that the 2d virtual pins can't provide which is HUGE. Yes you need a strong PC but still, you can buy a VR and amazing pc system for much less.

#2400 3 years ago
    Quoted from luvthatapex2:

IMO Big bulky virtual pins mimic the feeling I get from playing a real pinball (almost). I'm standing, hitting flippers and hearing tactile responses, seeing real flashers going off, hearing the thuds of the bumpers and rubbers, and seeing the backbox animations in real time.

I don't think you understand how VR works. The entire game is in front of you as if you're there. You see all of those things go off, backbox, dmd ,etc. in real time. The entire game is in front of you. It's in 3d. It's crazy.

The one thing that really closes the loop is having a pinsim or something to hold onto while in VR which has real flipper buttons, lockdown bar, plunger, etc AND force feedback inside so you feel it too. The guy in AUS is selling this exact thing. That in combination with VR absolutely blows away the cabinet approach.

Quoted from Bublehead:

But after a great game in VR, are your wrists sore, your back aching, and your flipper button fingers red and swollen from all the slap saves? I rest my case why I built a big old VP cab... just saying...

See my post above. Pinsim would be the icing on the cake. The only downside is having something on your head. I just can't have it on my face more than an hour.

#2424 3 years ago
    Quoted from ronaldvg:

I can tell you. I use both. VPX with the Virtual addon, Zen FX2 Virtual and Zaccaria Virtual. I also have a great real size cab with every software on it, VPX, FX3, Wicked Pinball, Zaccaria and Pro Pinball. The hardware is a fast Ryzen 7 3700 with a RTX2060 GPU and a 43 Inch 4K 120 Hz Asus monitor with a real RGB Led DMD including Surround Sound Feedback and DOF lighting (755 RGB leds).
    The feeling that you get with the real cab is out of this world. You can feel the ball rolling down the playfield, feel it hitting every post, feeling it drain. It has got a shaker, a knocker, a gear motor and even a chime for EM tables. Flashers can blind you like in GOT.
    With VR you feel nothing, resolution is very low compared to the cab, the VR Glasses have a small sweet spot where everything is sharp, playing together with others is not possible in any normal way and also the music is pathetic compared to a good sound system with a subwoofer.
    The only thing that is slightly better with the VR is the depth because it is 3D, but resolution wise it is not even close.I can tell you that the newest tables on VPX are SO good that you can forget all about the lack of 3D in a few minutes.
    I always said that a Vpin can not compare to a real Pinball machine, but it is getting ridiculously close. With the light effects, video integration with Pinup Player and Pinsound integration, it even beats a lot of the real machines. Imagine playing STTNG with video's like in WOZ. That is what is already happening now. VR without the physical extra's will never be as good. In VR I am playing a game, on the Vpin I am playing Pinball !

Play vr with force feedback and resolution with the latest vr sets is super clear

1 week later
    #2435 3 years ago

You need 120. Going high end don't get anything lower.

Get the Asus 4k monitor too not a tv.

#2441 3 years ago

Monitor is SO important. GPU 1080 is good enough but without the monitor, it's a no go. Good post

3 months later
    #2515 3 years ago
    Quoted from Westsiderkg:

Hi Virtual fans! 
    For many months I have been quietly assembling a homebrew VP machine with a custom Dragons Lair theme. We decided to go the VP route for two reasons. First, we have 6 and 8 year old children and the concept of having access to hundreds of different tables, on a single machine, was more appealing to the kids. Also, as young as they are, they are already more attune to electronic applications versus children of our generation, who were mechanically drawn to traditional PB machines, since that’s all we knew back in the day. Second, there was already someone pursuing a traditionally designed machine, so we wanted to create something different to respect their unique effort.
    The process took coordination amongst more than a dozen different vendors and many months from start to finish. Patience and trust were very challenging at times, and we did almost get burnt bad by one vendor along the way. We’d strongly caution anyone thinking about pulling together such a project, from a scratch concept, to think long and hard about it upfront because in the end it will be a labor of love, but will cost much more than a standard machine, traditional or VP, and you will undoubtfully encounter cost overruns and delays along the journey – all of which no one else can or will likely ever truly appreciate, or care to compensate you for should you wish to eventually sell your custom machine down the road. For instance, hundreds of hours were spent locating skilled artists, having them create artwork, tweaking, measuring, formatting, reformatting…on and on, and with multiple vendors at that, each with their own area of skill and expertise.
    As a kid in the 70s-80s, I believe the ultimate goal was reached and the end result is rewarding. We still have to pinch ourselves walking by the machine time and again. All the small custom touches you will see in the photos below really set this machine apart, and having a high quality build is icing on the cake.
    Along the way I reached out to the person attempting to build a traditional DL PB machine several times FWIW, requesting we coordinate projects and help one another. Unfortunately, we never heard a peep back, so we can only assume they abandoned their project since their facebookpage went dead? At the end of the day we wish them well and hope above all else they are ok!
    Should anyone on Pinside ever wish to undertake a similar DL project we would be honored to share tips, ideas, things that worked and things that didn’t, and even consider helping a friend out with vector art for their homebrew machines since we basically started at ground zero and to be perfectly honest, that was one of the most painfully time consuming and costly portions of the project. If that’s you…don’t ever hesitate to send a PM.
    That said, enjoy the images and we wish everyone a happy and healthy 2021!!![quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Great job. Looks awesome!

2 months later
    #2560 3 years ago

V pinball was the best. Major loss here. Hopefully the host reconsiders

2 weeks later
    #2582 3 years ago
    Quoted from TomN:

Literally been looking for one of these for a while. Obligatory wish you were closer post. lol

have it shipped! I've seen this in person and it's really nice. Owner is great as well.

2 months later
    #2626 2 years ago
    Quoted from bub2010:

I've got a custom art (Ironman) VP Cabs LE model that I'm looking to sell. Its a few years old, but a really solid machine with absolutely no wear on it and quite honestly very low hours. I don't believe its probably even been powered on more than 100 hours and actually played probably half of that. I'm in the Columbus, Ohio area.
    It has some LED strips on the bottom of the unit too which I added extra.
    Would be worth your while if you were willing to drive to come get it or have a service do it.
    [quoted image][quoted image]

Is there force feedback/solenoids?

2 months later
    #2678 2 years ago

Real pinball + vr pinball for all the old games= perfection.

With the exception of nudging these new version of tables in vr are unbelievable. If someone denies it they just haven’t tried it properly configured on a pc running 3090 in vr. Simple as that. No it won’t replace but def supplements

#2683 2 years ago
    Quoted from Deaconblooze:

I figured I'd probably need to run through 2 different setups, but didn't want to figure out later that it wasn't necessary. Thanks, I'll check into it.
    So what are my options for 1 portrait screen and a frontend?

Yeah, I think claiming that virtual pinball will never place real pinball is maybe a little short-sighted. Things have advanced really quickly. I feel like the physics are pretty good even in the mainstream releases at this point. I know everyone likes to blame something when they drain, "bad physics" seems like it will be the cry about virtual pinball for quite a while.

I love virtual pinball, play the latest with the best tools to do so.

It will NEVER replace real pinball.

#2703 2 years ago

For the guys looking for plug and play and not expecting to know anything about how this all works, something is going to break and will lead to frustration. Nature of pc. Just be aware of that.

Also this ultra vp machine it’s so over priced it’s ridiculous. I know many who are buying have no idea how this all comes together but for someone who does, man that is a killing for them.

What bothers me is like someone said - the pf tv on this is garbage and still costs a ton. Everyone - you need a monitor that is 120hz. It’s required to make the game feel smooth.

Forget virtual pinball builds that take up a a lot of space and are 2d. Go with virtual reality vive index with vp vr. Basically Vpx in 3d

#2712 2 years ago
    Quoted from branlon8:

I question this a bit - playfield size 4k and >60hz monitors are still pretty exotic. And to drive 4k and for instance 144hz properly you will need a monster graphic card…Sure, bigger is always better, but can the eye really discern more than 60hz?

yes - your eyes can def discern more than 60hz. In the PC gaming world, it goes to 240+. No doubt for pinball, 60 is barely acceptable and for this price, this company is really gauging. My eyeballs can confirm this with VPX haha.

To power 120hz, the gpu needs to be good, not amazing. I haven't checked the PC specs but knowing what else the company is offering, I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't enough. Again - good on them for offering plug and play but for anyone to be happy with the pricing attached, is crazy. Price is insane.

#2720 2 years ago
    Quoted from rogerdodger:

You say the playfield TV is garbage but, on their website, it says they are using LG monitors. Is LG not a good brand or am I misunderstanding?

You need a monitor. TVs, unless equipped with 120hz, will really cause a lot of ball stutter as many mentioned already. I'm just saying the price being charged here - you should either have a better tv or a proper monitor vs what they are giving.

#2730 2 years ago
    Quoted from KSP1138:

I'm running at 4k 60hz with a TCL 43 inch TV in the cabinet I built and see zero ball stutter with visual pinball. Running in game mode on that TV the input lag is about as low as it can theoretically get with 60hz. If you get any stuttering at 60hz then it is probably something with your settings - vsync, exclusive fullscreen vs. windowed, and other quality settings in visual pinball that exceed the capabilities of your video card. Yes, 120hz is better and would reduce flipper lag, but when I built my cabinet a couple years ago a 43 inch gaming monitor was just a little more expensive than the TV.

Sorry but you need to see a setup with 120 and you will instantly see what I mean. 60hz vs 120hz when it comes to vpx is important. It’s just a fact.

#2743 2 years ago
    Quoted from KSP1138:

I play at 144hz on my desktop too. Almost identical hardware to what is in my cabinet. I know exactly what I'm missing.

Yep - I agree. You are definitely missing.

#2744 2 years ago
    Quoted from ronaldvg:

I would like to add to this discussion that just looking at the Hz of a TV is not enough. Even more important is the input lag. The input lag is the time it takes for an action you perform (pressing the flipper button) to be made in the game and shown on the screen. Most TV's do not have great input lag exceeding 30ms and even up to 70ms.
    I had a very good Sony TV, with the lowest input lag possible on a TV but it was (for me) unplayable. Too much lag. With the mentioned Asus 43" there is absolutely no lag, in none of the tables. In my testing I found that an GTX 1660 Super was enough even for the most taxing tables. I tested with Tales of the Arabian Nights 4K, Cirques Voltaire 4K and Batman 66.
    Part of why everybody is so hating against vpin's is that the so called high-end machines are really not high-end. Just the price tag is. Only way to get a really good vpin is to make it or have it made by an enthousiast, not a commercial business. They just cannot make a really good vpin for reasonable money. Way too much work. And selling it with the tables installed is just immoral. I tend to agree that the makers of the tables also infringe on the IP of the manufacturers, but they do not get paid for it. If you sell a vpin with the tables and software installed that is for many people the main reason to buy them, even if the business that sells it claims they do not charge for it.
    Also, if you do not want to make the effort of maintaining the system, you will get behind in updates and so on, even taking more away from a good experience. My advise when you dop not want to invest in the knowledge needed for a vpin would be: buy a real pinball machine.

Yes you are exactly right. Input lag is also critical to be low. That’s why a monitor is perfect. They are typically the lowest you can find out there and pair that with 120 and it’s vpx bliss

1 week later
    #2775 2 years ago

All I know is that when I retire and have more time, I will be building and selling vpins. My god the market on this especially considering what people will pay!

Thinking I’ll get a builder and I’ll do the software side!

4 months later
    #2873 2 years ago

Reading this thread and seeing the prices being charged for these "ultra" VP machines is borderline sickening. The upcharge for these machines is ridiculous since the games being played on them are free and not a product of their own (nor should they be sold as such). It's bad enough what is happening with the NIB prices of real games but at least they're creating the experience themselves. These guys are just building a template cab and then using the work of others to actually make it desirable.

Do yourself a favor and ask around the community to find someone to pay to build this. I'm sure the charge would be much cheaper vs. these ripoffs online. Majority of these guys use displays and GPUs that are subpar on top of it. Or get into the VR scene and play it that way. Just know that if you go with these website guys, you're absolutely being ripped off big time.

Rant over -

#2876 2 years ago
    Quoted from Sf2pinhead:

Recroomworld provides support and updates etc...The price is obv high but you get what you pay for. The entire build is top quality from the cpu and components to screens/buttons/legs. If you don't want to buy one you def don't have to. For me to spend 7.5k for some random dude to build one and take a year to do it, vs spending 9k and getting tech support and full customization I'll take that any day. I don't post much and was literally just trying to help someone who was making a decision on what model to get. I'm having a great time with mine and somehow I can still pay all my bills! go figure?!
    anti-troll rant over -

but you def don't get what you pay for. Look - I get having to convince someone that spending 9k is cool. I get it. I'm just trying to alert others who don't know any better.

#2877 2 years ago
    Quoted from Anony:

The ones I've seen that are very expensive tend to have pretty strong PCs in them, and remember the GPU alone can easily be >$1500 these days. When you price it out with a dozen real solenoids and all of the other DOF bells and whistles, a 4k 120hz screen and more it actually isn't as bad as it seems.
    I thought the same when I first got into this and after building my own realized they aren't actually that overpriced.
    A guy near me builds them with every bell and whistle you can imagine and dual 3080's (Almost $5000 in video cards alone) and sells them for around $10k Canadian.
    It can definitely be done cheaper but it's not exactly an easy build and setup and I can see why a lot of people who aren't DIY or computer people would pay the premium to just have it ready to go.

I've built these things - it is as bad as it seems. Price is so ridiculous - they are feeding on the folks who clearly have no idea.

Dual 3080's are not 5k. That is my point. Even with the market crazy, they are not 5k for two. See below - and there are a ton more. 1500 max for new? 3k at most and that's just blindly on ebay.

ebay.com link: itm

Not here to go back and forth - I know I'm right. I just feel bad for the folks who have no idea about virtual (likely 80% of the people buying them) and they spend 9k. Complete BS and trying to help them avoid being scammed.

2 weeks later
    #2907 2 years ago
    Quoted from Darkstar1234:

I made this fairly recently, and rather hastily….but I think the point comes across just fine. The best answer to pretty much anything virtual pinball is do it yourself….anything else you have a high chance of getting ripped off, not knowing how to do simple updates later, how to do very basic problem solving etc. Everyone that wants to have a Vpin should!!…on the other hand I think a very realistic answer is “for some, this might not be for you”. Keep in mind, for the most part the community is very kind and helpful. We tend to take care of each other, listen, and work together.
    Obviously I was purpose over fashion. The irony is most people are curious about the Vpin more than any other machine I own.
    If you like to watch gameplay, I’m just starting Youtube from Twitch finding my own way and a format that fits “me”. I’ll most likely respond to comments there swiftly.

Well said

1 month later
    #2970 2 years ago

This is not meant to be a response to the previous post as I can completely understand the amount of time spent on helping others and insurance considerations.

Speaking from experience on many virtual systems that I’ve either built or bought pre made, solenoids are absolutely positively 100% necessary. Otherwise buy a monitor turn it vertical and call it a day.

6 months later
    #3299 1 year ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Has anyone heard any updates about the new Iron Maiden Stern recreation by VPW? Table looks incredible but haven't much about it in a while.

that looks great

11 months later
    #3809 6 months ago

Virtual needs a really good version of shadow!

3 months later
    #3934 3 months ago

So just a plug for a recent VR headset I got that has really helped me with VPX VR.

Big screen beyond.

I've owned almost all of these headsets. They always felt uncomfortable. This one changes that with how light it is - like a pair of swim goggles. OLED screens - gorgeous color. FOV pretty good and although there is glare, you can't really see it in game.

Highly recommend for something like VR pinball where you are looking down and the weight of that damn headset becomes even more important. Paired with a 4090 and pin cab with force feedback at 75-90hz, it's the best I've ever experienced.

#3941 84 days ago
    Quoted from Jackalwere:

Sounds intriguing, but I have no idea what you bought. How do you plug something without saying what brand and model you are plugging?

Big screen beyond

Mentioned it in my post but I guess I could of made it more obvious!

The name of it is Big screen beyond.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider delt31.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/virtual-pinball-club?tu=delt31 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.