Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 3,989 posts
  • 352 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 days ago by Smaug
  • Topic is favorited by 271 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

TFTC FlyerA (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    IMG_0466 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0465 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0464 (resized).JPG
    Top10pro (resized).png
    Top10pro (resized).png
    20240129_125402.png
    Fireballxl5 (resized).png
    2023-12-31 19.32.48 (resized).jpg
    2023-11-17 22.19.51 (resized).jpg
    2023-11-11 03.07.25 (resized).jpg
    2023-11-11 01.58.53 (resized).jpg
    poster2 (resized).png
    411392839_735139934899280_8496203559983449797_n (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider briks-707.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2665 2 years ago

I love how versatile these virtual pins can be. I had this mini 1/4 scale Black Knight 2K themed machine built by Facebook builder Scott Sloan, the craftsmanship is amazing! It has a coin door that opens and working virtual plunger, runs off a NUC 8i5. For those times when you need to take your pinball with you!

0CF1AAD1-6918-4134-9FE3-2316EEE954B6 (resized).jpeg0CF1AAD1-6918-4134-9FE3-2316EEE954B6 (resized).jpeg66B279ED-F668-47AB-88B5-9D8B0ACD5346 (resized).jpeg66B279ED-F668-47AB-88B5-9D8B0ACD5346 (resized).jpeg6092860A-420D-42F7-A6BB-BFAB25730BD4 (resized).jpeg6092860A-420D-42F7-A6BB-BFAB25730BD4 (resized).jpeg97700ACD-FA49-48F6-AE56-CC52CCA9A66C (resized).jpeg97700ACD-FA49-48F6-AE56-CC52CCA9A66C (resized).jpegFEFFAFD7-47C9-469D-B871-FC4DB52D8C2B (resized).jpegFEFFAFD7-47C9-469D-B871-FC4DB52D8C2B (resized).jpeg
    #2701 2 years ago
    Quoted from gregh43:

can't wait to oder a Ultra Vp machine . talked to the one of the workers . and he sent me a spreadsheet of all the tables installed. theres currently 1,260 tables installed. along with all the puppack tables . and 10.7 versions too. plus they offer support too with software if any failures they will get you back up and running

I really wish they would offer a display upgrade or use a different monitor all together for the Ultra VP machine . That industrial grade (LG) 4K 60hz playfield monitor that comes with it is very low quality. It should be hanging on the wall of an airport lobby displaying CNN instead of being used in a upper spec Vpin. If I’m spending that much coin I’d expect the most important part of the machine to use the highest quality displays available, not the cheapest.

#2714 2 years ago
    Quoted from gregh43:

Briks-707 if you think the playfield monitor is poor quality than you should take it up with the seller at Rec Room World and suggest what monitor he should use. you can complain about the cost. I agree it's alot of money for a machine. but if you don't have the skill or know how on the electronics to build one and setting up the software then this is well worth it. the machine I had custom built I wasted 5 years on and havent been able to figure out the front end software or pup packs.. just to figure out loading tables was tedious enough. so this Ultra vp is perfect for me. . you wanna talk about cheap components look at VpCabs. hes been selling the same machine for how many years. nothing has improved or updated. the UltraVp blows the doors off the competition. Ultra Vp doesnt sell the software or tables it's handled through a third party vendor.

Why take it up with Roland….he is very aware he is using a sub par monitor for the playfield to maximize his profit margins. I’m letting other people know these displays are terrible for virtual pinball. No angle viewing is a complete deal breaker for a playfield display. These are monitors are used in dentists offices and airports, not a dedicated gaming machine. For that price you could have added a proper gaming monitor or at least have the option for 120hz upgrade. It is a must have for a high level spec Vpin, especially if you are paying NIB pinball prices. I don’t mind spending 8k on a pinball machine but I don’t like getting charged LE prices and getting a Pro level spec machine which is exactly what you are getting with the Ultra VP.

#2715 2 years ago
    Quoted from DudeRegular:

The 60hz vs 120 or 144 or some other high number is a real improvement. For day to day tasks on a pc it doesn't matter. For gaming (vpin included) it is pretty awesome to see. The game gets so much smoother. The ball motion in particular is a significant improvement.

Very true not only do you get smoother ball movements with double the refresh rate(120hz) but you can also can do real pinball moves more reliably/repeatedly like live & drop catches, post & rolling passes etc. The smoother movements really make the virtual experience more realistic, at 60hz you tend to get a lot of ping pong action with the ball.

#2719 2 years ago
    Quoted from rogerdodger:

You say the playfield TV is garbage but, on their website, it says they are using LG monitors. Is LG not a good brand or am I misunderstanding?

LG is a good brand but the particular model they are using for the playfield is not suitable for this kind of application. It’s limited to 60hz which is not a deal breaker by itself but the fact that it doesn’t have angle viewing is. It only has a clear crisp image if you stand directly in front of the monitor, moving off center you get a nasty white haze across the screen. Meaning if your playing pinball and you have someone watching off to the left or right they are getting a ghosted out view of the playfield. It’s not something you’d want in a high spec Vpin.

#2723 2 years ago
    Quoted from rogerdodger:

Thank you for such a detailed response, which I now understand.
    Apart from building a spec VP, based on your knowledge, are there any companies that you know of building a 'turnkey' VP that are using a 49" (I like this size) playfield monitor that has a higher specification, either 60hz or 120hz, that you yourself would be happy with. I bow to your knowledge.
    Thanks again.

RRW is the only company I know of offering an oversized 49” playfield monitor. I don’t believe there is any company making a 120hz in that size as of yet. The Asus ROG 120hz is the gold standard for gaming but the largest size I believe is 43” which is a few inches shorter than a real standard pinball playfield but very close to the correct width.

#2724 2 years ago
    Quoted from Viggin900:

Why? Not if you pay for the software and someone else is doing all the work for you with game updates,fixing bugs, led lighting, adding new jukebox videos, figuring out online connectivity, adding non flipper games etc. I don't have to waist my time which is the way it should be and if they want virtual to get off the ground thats the direction a company needs to go. All the time you spend doing updates etc only benefits you and your game. Why shouldn't it be a service,do it once, and update thousands of other games as well? The people who don't play often and don't feel like spending hours with updates are the ones being left behind. I've seen it a hundred times.

I update tables on my machine every 1-2 weeks to keep up with all the new releases or improved versions, takes all of maybe 10 minutes and I’m a complete novice when it comes to the software side. The reason to update your own tables is for personalization. Sometimes when a new modded version of a table comes out, you might prefer the older one or vice versa. By doing it yourself you can choose to keep both or delete the one you find inferior. I wouldn’t want to leave that choice in someone else’s hand, their preferences are going to be different than yours.

#2727 2 years ago
    Quoted from gregh43:

kinda curious why he uses 49" screen? isnt 43" the size of a playfield. I found this 48" 4k monitor 120hz wouldn't that work to replace his 49"?
    https://www.lg.com/us/tvs/lg-oled48cxpub-oled-4k-tv

I can give you about 700 reasons why. That 48” 4K monitor looks up to spec for a 60hz display. At least it has a gaming mode (G-SYNC) and unlimited contrast (angle viewing).

#2728 2 years ago
    Quoted from Oscope:

Can you please point us to what you consider the most valuable guides?
    I have to say that I have searched and found guides but all of it seems very tedious and nebulous - also the guides seem to get out of date quickly with all the versions and revisions of various software and compatibility issues .
    I must say that considering yourself a novice and having a depth of understanding you describe in this area does not compute......
    I believe there would be many more VR pinball enthusiasts if they could clear the vexing software hurdles

I would use the Baller Installer guide. It’s an all in one solution instead of having to download and configure multiple programs. I have a firm understanding of the hardware and cabinet construction involved but the software can be daunting depending on which front end you select. Once you have it set up correctly tho adding new tables is easy and not very time consuming at all. I have probably 1500 tables I maintain on my full sized Vpin.

#2752 2 years ago
    Quoted from Viggin900:

My job is creating digital content everday for the web and have played this everyday for 6 months with no complaints. As long as the screen looks good when I'm playing thats all that matters. I'm a stickler for detail and I am happy with 60hz or whatever. I could care less what my friends and family who don't play pinball think standing to the sides. It's not that bad or worth complaining about,splitting hairs here. These are taken with a 5 year old phone and crunched for upload so it is better in real life.
    Some say its overpriced equipment, especially if you have the know how and time to build one. The price of a new single pin just went up another $300 across the board. I say its a steal and worth more than what they are charging.
    [quoted image][quoted image]

The video of Scantron5K’s RRW Ultra VP that gregh43 posted on the last page shows terrible hazing when viewed off center. Scantron5K even mentions it near the end but not a deal breaker for him obviously. Here are the stills showing the loss of contrast when he’s off center and not all the way across the room either. Granted I’m sure his phone is making it appear worse on camera than in real life as these things tend to do, but either way it’s still bad and not up to par for a high spec machine.

First pic is on center and color/contrast is fine, next few are taken as he moves off to the left and mentions the white haze. Clearly you can see the loss of color & contrast as he’s just standing next to his RRW machine. This is why unlimited contrast(angle viewing) is a must have for your playfield display and backglass.

7AEE20A7-FF7A-4463-A9F9-6CB0DCC29B5A (resized).jpeg7AEE20A7-FF7A-4463-A9F9-6CB0DCC29B5A (resized).jpegB4E44C19-1603-4346-8B2D-C6774CEBFA47 (resized).jpegB4E44C19-1603-4346-8B2D-C6774CEBFA47 (resized).jpeg8D17EC4D-1D24-4FD5-BD2C-29722C8A92C8 (resized).jpeg8D17EC4D-1D24-4FD5-BD2C-29722C8A92C8 (resized).jpegF2BDE49A-E77E-4C5C-A329-9045604C55AE (resized).jpegF2BDE49A-E77E-4C5C-A329-9045604C55AE (resized).jpeg
    #2756 2 years ago
    Quoted from Viggin900:

I was showing some of that in the last picture I took but I don't play pinball from those angles? I know some people get crazy and steer or duck while playing but my head stays in the same place. I would have to see the 120 in person to see if it would be worth extra money if they even make it in that size. I think the difference I see from posts is the black depth. It is darker and richer on a 120 vs 60. More contrast around the edge of the table would be nice but I feel like I'm nitpicking at this point until I see it first hand.

The loss of contrast on the playfield display/backglass isn’t going to effect the player standing right over the machine, it’s anybody viewing from off center. It’s just old cheap tech & shouldn’t be used in a virtual machine at this price point. I have an Asus ROG 120hz in my full sized Vpin and it’s really eye opening after coming from playing 4K 60hz machines. Not only do you get richer colors and angle viewing but the most significant feature is the superior refresh rate of the 120hz monitor. It translates to more realistic, smoother ball movements better akin to real pinball physics. At 60hz you get a lot of ping pong action with the ball, at 120hz you can pull off real pinball moves more consistently and accurately, like post passes, drop catches, rolling passes etc. I’ve even see airballs hit the glass so to speak. It really takes the experience to the next level.

#2760 2 years ago
    Quoted from starfighter:

What size/type monitor are you using for the backbox?

I also use a 32” LG HD for the backglass. As you tell by ronaldvg pictures the Asus is worth every penny!

#2765 2 years ago
    Quoted from rogerdodger:

Here's what I don't understand....
    Why wouldn't the few 'turnkey' makers of VP offer an option to purchase with a high quality 120hz refresh monitor and a PC that is upgraded in all the right areas?
    As someone who would like a high end VP, I would gladly pay an extra 2K or 3K, to get the best performing VP that money can buy.
    More profit for the company making it and a happy buyer.
    I bet there are many prospective VP buyers who would gladly pay extra for the best VP experience possible.

There are a few like turn key makers like Xtreme Gaming Cabinets, they off a fully loaded Vpin with the range topping Asus 144hz monitor paired with a 3080 card & all the bells and whistles you could ask for. Only problem they are an Australian company and orders take 6+ months for construction and delivery…., but they build it from the ground up with some of the best components. With the exchange rate its comparable to buying a premium NIB pinball including overseas delivery. Check out their videos on YouTube, you won’t be disappointed

#2769 2 years ago
    Quoted from gregh43:

the Aussie dude builds some nice machines . but read alot of forum reviews his customer service sucks. I would be leary sending that much money for a build and waiting that long. he shouldn't expect all money up front. maybe put a partial deposit down till all work is done. Starfighter do you build and sell. or know any builders out there other than commercial builders that will sell?

I have a 2n1 premium Vpin from them, their customer service is top notch. My machine did take 6 months to build but it was worth the wait for a true plug and play unit with reboot back to default. I haven’t had a single issue with my Vpin in nearly 1 year of ownership & it gets played nearly everyday for hours. You don’t pay in full until your unit is ready to ship at least I didn’t with my machine.

#2772 2 years ago
    Quoted from jimjim66:

I ordered mine last November and they just shipped it. So order to door will be close to 10-12 months. I haven't got the final shipping costs, but I can post how much when I get it. I literally had the first Hyper-pin, BadBoyBill's gave me his cabinet, and have waited to upgrade for years. I went with Xtreme because I do not have the time or skills to make a cabinet that would look good enough to go into my game room. They will never be real pinball, but they are awesome arcade machines. Here is my machine:

Hey Jim this is Dani from the EHA Facebook group if you didn’t notice already. I can’t wait until you get your machine my man, it’s gorgeous and a beast with that 144hz/3080 combo! I paid about $1,500 total for delivery to Sonoma County, $1300 was Vangaurd’s shipping cost & $200 for California use tax but that was last November.

#2785 2 years ago
    Quoted from gregh43:

Briks-707 how much was your virtual pin from the Aussie builder and with shipping? anyone know if the Baller Installer is a all in one instalation program that has all the software including the Visual Pinball, and pinmame etc..

I paid about 8K total for my XGC Vpin with overseas delivery, not cheap but it has been worth every penny spent!

2 weeks later
    #2794 2 years ago
    Quoted from starfighter:

I'm not sure if there are any 120hz turn key machines out there currently. If you decide to build your own, 120hz is just one of the many decisions you'll face.

Xtreme Gaming Cabinets offers a plug and play 4K 120hz system with a reboot to default frozen drive. It works as it should every time even if you screw something up you just restart your machine and fixed!

4 months later
    #2912 2 years ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak: The Ultra VP is expensive but from the pre built machines out there I don't see anything else that compares well. Xtreme Gaming Cabinets (6+ month wait to the US) has 120hz displays but their build quality and feedback mechs are not as good IMO compared to what I'm seeing with the Ultra VP. I don't have the time to spend building a cabinet and tinkering with settings for dozens of hours. I'll pay the $9k and figure half of that is labor costs and profit. Just want to have something that works well out of the box, and looks professional which so far the Ultra VP seems to fit.

XGC build their cabinets 100% in house, compared to RRW who buys pre made cabinets from China. In have a XGC and 2 of my buddies have the Ultra VP. My premium machine was a few grand cheaper (at the time of purchase) and has 120hz display and 3000’s series video card. The programming is locked down on the XGC, with reboot back to default mode it works every time and there is an open part of the drive that is fully customizable for adding new tables. It’s idiot proof basically for those who don’t know their way around VPX and all the other programs needed to make it work. RRW world does make some nice machines but they are pricey and under spec’d compared to the competition. Plus if you screw up something you need to get tech support instead of just rebooting the machine. For me the biggest gripe about the Ultra VP is the crappy 4K 60hz CNN airport monitor that they choose to use as the playfield display. The whole virtual experience is built around the playfield, angle viewing should be considered minimum spec for a playfield display, especially at that price point.

The biggest con right now against XGC is the wait time for a machine. With the backup at the ports people are waiting 9-12 months for their builds unless you are air freighting, which obviously is a more expensive option.

#2930 2 years ago
    Quoted from themotherbrain:

How do you update vpx and pin mame if it's locked? Some new tables require the latest versions to run properly. If your cab is a few years old, you may not be able to update or play the newest releases without issues.

Each XGC machine has 2 drives, 1 frozen default drive and another cloned open drive that is fully customizable. I’ve updated to VPX 10.7 on my system with no problems & have all the latest releases. It’s possible to unfreeze the default drive and refreeze as well. My system has been turn key for about 18 months with zero issues and I play it alongside my real pins daily.

2 weeks later
    #2958 2 years ago

I have one and it’s an amazing machine, zero issues after 18 months of ownership. I like the fact the cabinets are built in house, quality of the construction, components and wiring is top notch. Closest your gonna get to plug and play. The major negative is the long wait for a build (due to popularity) & shipping fees which is around $1,800 to USA. It’s not uncommon to wait 9+ months for a machine.

1 month later
    #3048 2 years ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

I wasn't a fan of the MFD cabinets offered by Xtreme Gaming Cabinets or Rec Room World.

Xtreme Gaming Cabinets also offers laminated plywood option($150 upgrade) but their cabinets are made in house not assembled in China.

#3065 1 year ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

The person who posts the videos below does a great job of comparing a real version of a pin to a virtual version. His virtual cabinet is an Xtreme Gaming Cabinet premium with arcade controls with a 43" Asus 4K 120hz monitor. The Asus screen looks great. However, I can see why some cabinet makers have gone with a 49" display. With a 43" monitor there appears to be a loss of 2-3 inches vertically compared to a real game.

Real vs 43"
    [quoted image]

Thanks PanzerFreak that would be me. The Asus monitor screen measures 38.5” and the Pinbot playfield is 40.5”, exactly 2 inches shorter. When you are playing the machine you don’t notice the difference at all, it’s accentuated on video due to the arcade control panel….the playfield monitor is mounted farther into the cab to make room for the arcade joysticks & buttons.

#3066 1 year ago
    Quoted from Coyote:

Until you move from side to side, or stand up straighter, or lean down, or...

Not if you are playing in VR , move around all you like, walk around to the back of the machine and read the Williams serial numbers lol

#3068 1 year ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Great job on the videos and awesome collection! That’s good to know, thank you. That Xtreme Gaming Cabinet looks awesome.

Thanks, it’s fun to see how close these digital recreations are to the real thing. The XGC Vpin has been a great addition to my game room, it gets played almost everyday in a room full of real machines

#3096 1 year ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

That’s part of my issue with 43” displays. Widebody games end up looking far to small and narrow body games look a bit short. A 49” display is slightly wider then a wide body playfield but there are no other compromises being made as it has close to the length of an actual playfield. If the worst thing is the table being slightly larger so be it.

Maybe in video but not in person 43” is definitely the sweet spot for what’s available currently. 2 of my friends have Ultra VP’s with the 49” screen and it feels like a Franken pin compared to a even a wide body cabinet. 95% of the Vpin tables are standard size and feel bloated on the 49” monitor but if you are a stickler for those handful of wide body tables it definitely does look/feel more authentic in that aspect. Best way is too see both sizes in person to make the determination for yourself. For me having a large collection of real machines to compare them by I would go for the 43” option, especially if it’s an Asus ROG monitor!

5 months later
    #3347 1 year ago

I’ve had my XGC Vpin for 2 years now and have been very happy with my machine. The 43” Asus 120hz display is definitely the sweet spot for playfield size. 49” is way too big and makes the cabinet feel like a frakenpin even compared to a wide body.

Having a 120hz display makes a huge difference in gameplay, with 60hz the ball tends to ping pong around the playfield. With 120hz you get far more realistic ball motions which translates into more ball control…..far easier to post pass, live catch and preform real pinball moves with 120hz.

10 months later
    #3744 7 months ago
    Quoted from Psw757:

Anyone own one of these from Xtreme? Look to be very well put together.

I own one, great machine, best builds on the market imo. The only caveat is the long wait time and they go against community guidelines with pre loaded tables/software on their machines.

#3747 7 months ago
    Quoted from Psw757:

How long is the wait time for a order?

Well over a year from last I heard….mine was worth the wait but it was torture.

#3749 7 months ago
    Quoted from Viggin900:

And if anything arrives broken from the haul over from Australia it will take even more months to have it replaced if at all. There are vidoes out there of damages that occured during shipment everyone seems to forget about. Maybe they have cleaned up their act now?

I’m more worried about damages on my NIB Sterns……XGC machines are crated like Fort Knox but shipping containers do fall off the boat haha.

#3752 7 months ago
    Quoted from gregh43:

Thanks for the info on your experience with Xtreme. Iam looking at ordering one from them soon. but good to know about the wait time. I know they have expanded to US opening a business selling their Arcade Multicades. but not sure if they are selling the Virtual yet. the plus side buying from Australia is the US dollar is worth more so you get the machine cheaper then buying it in the US.

They have no plans to build Vpins from their US business side, that will be multicades only unfortunately. The wait was worth it for the build quality and programming that goes into these machines. Typically it costs $1600-2k for sea freight shipping from Australia to USA, something to keep in mind when comparing prices.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider briks-707.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/virtual-pinball-club?tu=briks-707 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.