Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 3,989 posts
  • 352 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 days ago by Smaug
  • Topic is favorited by 271 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

TFTC FlyerA (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    IMG_0466 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0465 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0464 (resized).JPG
    Top10pro (resized).png
    Top10pro (resized).png
    20240129_125402.png
    Fireballxl5 (resized).png
    2023-12-31 19.32.48 (resized).jpg
    2023-11-17 22.19.51 (resized).jpg
    2023-11-11 03.07.25 (resized).jpg
    2023-11-11 01.58.53 (resized).jpg
    poster2 (resized).png
    411392839_735139934899280_8496203559983449797_n (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider a_bord.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1883 6 years ago
    Quoted from maffewl:

Hey all. I started a virtual pinball back in late 2013, and had to put it on pause. I'm now ready to start the project back up, but want to make sure my system that was built then, can still handle today's tables. I've seen some amazing stuff with VPX, and would like to run at least it and Future Pinball.
    That said, can I get some comments on my system specs (posted below)? Is this still able to run today's software/tables?
    Processor: Intel Core I5-3750K @ 3.40GHz
    Video Card: Asus GTX660 DC20-2GD5
    Ram: 8 GB (2 x 4GB) Corsair Vengence
    If you need more info, let me know. I'm using an early HD tv (Polaroid 4011-TLXB) with 1366x768 as the playfield and the ball looks very choppy. The edges don't look crisp either. Not sure if it was my computer or the tv.
    Any help is appreciated.

I run a 4k monitor with a GTX 670 and rarely have issues. I would think the 660 would be ok. You can always limit the sample sizes in video settings to keep things smooth.

1 year later
    #2239 4 years ago

My trick is skip the games you don't love. No one needs hundreds of games.

8 months later
    #2359 3 years ago

Yeah, the Retro Play guy is definitely persona non grata in the visual pinball community. Don't count on support from others if you've purchased from him, which may or not matter to you.

The whole community is pretty dysfunctional, a lot of talent donating their time to make software and games and a lot of other people trying to profit from it. There are only a handful of folks actively making (interpreting? adapting?) games and a lot of them have quit recently as VP has been increasingly commercialized. Bit of a serpent eating it's tail. Hard to say where it'll end up, but for the end user just looking for a product to buy and play VPX is a pretty nice prospect and there's no shortage of people happy to download it for free and then sell it to you.

#2374 3 years ago

I put actual pinball mechs in mine for force feedback. Pretty realistic.

There are some good 3rd party options out there to easily add feedback devices to a cab that comes w/o any.

1 week later
    #2448 3 years ago

That guy sucks through and through. Avoid Retro Play at all costs. The positive online reviews and comments are just him under aliases.

1 year later
    #2809 2 years ago
    Quoted from branlon8:

Based on the way 10.7 playfields are rendered with 10.6 I’m guessing there are some big changes coming with the playfield appearance.

There are no or almost no visual rendering improvements in 10.7. Lots of interface stuff but folks saying they see a big difference are kidding themselves.

5 months later
    #3141 1 year ago
    Quoted from friscopinball:

Thank you to bord!
    Tonight's replay of Tuesday Night Tributes with Bord is live and we had a really cool discussion of how he got his start in VPX, the creation process, and so many other cool stories bout Cuphead Pro, animation, Chuck E. Cheese, etc.
    We even had a sneak peek at his latest UNRELEASED table and some great action on one of my favorites, Skyway.
    Please feel free to take a look at the link below and I apologize for any audio issues in the beginning (streaming is so fun ).
    https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1486983200

Thanks for having me. It was a lot of fun!

2 months later
    #3182 1 year ago
    Quoted from DudeRegular:

friscopinball think you can convince any of the fine folks in the VP dev world to work out a Dragonfist VPX? We need it

DudeRegular if you can get me a scan of playfield and plastics I'll build it.

#3189 1 year ago
    Quoted from chewiec:

Bord, any chance you are doing an upgrade to Spanish Eyes? Such a fun and unique table. Love your work as well!

I own one now but it will be about a year before I'll strip and scan it. Probably won't touch it again before I have that done. Likely a VPE project.

8 months later
    #3608 1 year ago
    Quoted from TomN:

Could anyone with good technical knowledge about virtual pins give me a little guidance…Just recently upgraded my cab. Added ram, new video card, updated to windows 10 and vpx and pinup popper. Lost my haptic feedback coils, shaker etc. What am I missing? Drivers? I’ve read a little about DOF..Is that where I need to concentrate? Everything worked prior to the upgrades. So I know the hardware is functional. Really not sure where to start?? It’s a VPCabs pin. So is it a proprietary controller card issue?

Have you talked with VPCabs?

4 months later
    #3723 7 months ago
    Quoted from MrMikeman:

As I said VPin isn't a bad thing. It's awesome as it's own "thing". I just don't think that someone who only plays VPin would do well in a real tournament. The ball feel and nudging skills just wouldn't be there. Virtual has it's place, but isn't a substitute for the real thing. I'm a pilot, and while simulator training is invaluable, it's not the same as real flying though.

I think this is a very good summary. Even the best virtual recreation is going to play ridiculously controlled compared to a real machine. I see guys all the time GCing on their VP that wouldn't stand a chance in a local tourney. Virtual has it's place but I don't kid myself about how realistic it plays.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider a_bord.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/virtual-pinball-club?tu=a_bord and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.