Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 3,991 posts
  • 352 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 days ago by Mr_Outlane
  • Topic is favorited by 271 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

TFTC FlyerA (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    IMG_0466 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0465 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0464 (resized).JPG
    Top10pro (resized).png
    Top10pro (resized).png
    20240129_125402.png
    Fireballxl5 (resized).png
    2023-12-31 19.32.48 (resized).jpg
    2023-11-17 22.19.51 (resized).jpg
    2023-11-11 03.07.25 (resized).jpg
    2023-11-11 01.58.53 (resized).jpg
    poster2 (resized).png
    411392839_735139934899280_8496203559983449797_n (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Mudflaps.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1498 7 years ago

Sorry for the new guy questions, but I have limited internet access to google the vp forums and don't have access to a machine:

1. Is there a generally preferred front end between PinballX and Hyperpin? Pros/cons?

2. If I download the latest version of Visual Pinball X, will I still be able to play games built for VP 9?

#1501 7 years ago

Cool, thanks. Ultimately, I wanted to load whatever table I wanted without going back and forth. Sounds like PinballX will handle that.

The newest VPX tables look fantastic.

3 months later
    #1568 7 years ago

I'm very excited to get to play my VirtuaPin. I can experience all the 80s classic Bally games with some rad WPC titles. Hopefully it will scratch the itch of constantly rotating games.

4 weeks later
    #1645 7 years ago

I picked up a VirtuaPin, but unfortunately it was loaded with older software (XP). Going through the slow process of updating everything, so I'm basically starting from scratch.

I finally got Windows 7 installed along with Visual Pinball. After some trial and error, tables are running! No backglass or DMD yet, but we'll get there. PinballX is next, then I update the plunger.

#1649 7 years ago
    Quoted from NoahFentz:

If there is anything I can do to help, let me know. We can network over the weekend, if you are available.
    I'll get you fully up and running.

Sounds good Paul, and thanks for the help so far. I know there's only so much you can do.

Got B2S working, next is the DMD, then the frontend.

I've gone from a semi-bricked XP machine to a fully working and wifi enabled Windows 7 machine running tables, so I'm kind of proud of myself because I'm such a nitwit.

2 weeks later
    #1656 7 years ago

For anyone running Pinball Arcade on their cabinet, is there a preferred program to allow re-mapping controls? I can't get the installed buttons to work with my cab yet.

#1658 7 years ago
    Quoted from 85vett:

Shoot, you're way past me. I was never able to get the camera mod to work. Always get a server error just on my cab. Other computers I tested things on worked fine, just my cab doesn't. And yes, I confirmed the internet is working fine on it
    But, I thought you could re-map the keys in Pinball Arcade itself.

I'm kind of all over the place. Visual Pinball works, but no DMD yet. Pinball FX2 is installed, but I'm waiting on my cabinet code.

Anyway, after searching last night I found NoEX's PA camera mod, but I couldn't get it to work (kept crashing). For some reason, my cabinet buttons are tied into something that won't talk to PA.

#1659 7 years ago

Update: Paul let me know about a program called XPadder that allows me to map my extra buttons to keyboard commands. PinballFX2 is now working like a champ, but Pinball Arcade keeps crashing.

Once I solve that, I'll fix my DMD, then the plunger/nudge.

After that, I'll finish the playfield, backglass, and wheel logos for PinballX. Lots of work, but it's fun.

3 weeks later
    #1664 7 years ago

DMD up and running. My Mot-Ion board is all whacked out, so next up is installation of the virtual plunger V3 for better nudging and mechanical plunger.

Anyone running DMD with PinballFX2 or PBA? I downloaded the code to make it work but have been unsuccessful so far.

#1666 7 years ago
    Quoted from roar:

Are you talking about Freezy's dmdext? I run that for PinballFX2. Never really got back into PBA so I can't help you there. There is lots of support over at vpforums... http://www.vpforums.org/index.php?showtopic=34468&hl=
    Where abouts are you in your attempts to getting it to work?

Yeah, it's Freezy's program. I messed around a little bit, didn't troubleshoot too much. My DMD read 'dmdext' but I was getting some weird errors. I'll continue to dig.

The vp forums have been indispensible.

#1668 7 years ago
    Quoted from roar:

Have you tried to get it working from the command line before trying to integrate it into PinballX (I'm guessing that is the front end you're using). I'll post the string I'm using to run it from command line when I get home... we can see if it matches what you're running.

Yeah, I used 'dmdext test' on the command line and the image popped up on the DMD, but the displayed text said 'found DMD, but not pinDMD2' or something like that. I have a pinDMD 2.

Will updating my C++ have any effect?

#1671 7 years ago

Cool, thanks for the info. I'll take another look tonight.

Got my plunger and nudge working. The Mot-ion is a bit wonky, but I'm hoping the V3 will work better.

#1679 7 years ago
    Quoted from ronaldvg:

Try this:
    dmdext test --destination=PINDMDV2

I'll try that, thanks!

#1683 7 years ago

It's Whack-A-Mole with VP stuff. I fix one thing, 2 more things pop up.

Lots of frustration, but also lots of fun. Absolutely appreciative of the guys that write this software I'm trying to fumble through.

#1689 7 years ago

After some setup shenanigans, the V3 plunger is up and running. The nudge is fantastic. Plunge requires some table specific settings, but works great for the most part.

Still having issues getting my DMD to work with Pinball FX2, so that's next on my list.

Does anyone tweak table slope or friction on VP? Some of the tables are awesome, but I find the ball zips around way too fast.

3 weeks later
    #1698 7 years ago
    Quoted from pudluther:

updated pinballX this week and have run into an odd problem...
    in the attract mode, the backglass images work fine, but as soon as i launch the game, the b2s file just will not show up...i get a blank screen. dmd monitor works fine, table works fine, DOF is all good...the backglass just isn't running.
    checked my screen settings in pinballX setup to make sure they didn't change assignment, and they haven't.
    also.....running straight through vpX won't load up the backglass either.
    suggestions on where i need to look? i'm kind of stumped...been messing with it all day.
    thanks.

Weird. Did you set 'Set Controller' to 'B2S Server' on the script?

1 month later
    #1722 7 years ago

Just purchased a GTX 750TI SC video card and still kind of messing with it.

Basically, I'm still getting stutter. I tried plugging both monitors into the new video card as well as using the 750 for the playfield and 560 for the backglass. Still stutters... not bad at all, but noticeable.

Any ideas or workarounds?

1 week later
    #1729 7 years ago

Solved the stuttering (too many open updates to Win 7) and the new video card smoothed out the ball big time.

Now I'm playing with Freezy's DMD support to PinballFX2. I got it working with Steam, but it crashes PinballX when run in tangent.

Anyone have PinballX successfully going with dmdext?

2 weeks later
    #1744 7 years ago
    Quoted from SadSack:

Did you see where VirtuaPin Paul's involvement in the Kevin Kulek Predator debacle got him a $155k default judgment to pay? They're clawing back a CNC router and other things as well. Ugly situation.
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-official-pinside-skit-b-predator-discussion/page/289#post-3642131
    This is a hard hit for the VPforums owner.

Paul has always been helpful to me, even sending things to me at his own expense. I don't know the whole story, but I hope everything works out.

1 month later
    #1778 6 years ago

Can anyone point me to the best way to get dmdext to work with PinballX?

I've searched vpforums, github, etc. with no luck. I can play one PBFX2 game and then it crashes. I have the latest dmdext version.

#1783 6 years ago
    Quoted from ronaldvg:

Depends on how you start DMDEXT. I start it in a batchfile every time I start a new table and I use the -q switch (I think it is q) so DMDEXT stops after PBFX2 is stopped. That works great.
    Also check if the file dmddevice.dll is everywhere the same version. It was on my system several times but with different versions when I had some trouble with the DMD.

I'll try that out, thanks.

Quoted from delt31:

Thinking about getting a table as noted above. Does anyone know for VP cabs - can you install The Pinball Arcade AND have force feedback? This is assuming table has feedback of course. I know it comes with a front end built in but I don't believe TPA games are included right? If not, and I have it on steam, I'm able to use right? Does it work with the cab (Backglass, DMD and PF)?

TPA doesn't work with force feedback, i.e. analog nudge. I've heard some folks somehow tied an XBox 360 controller to the cabinet nudge with not good results. Visual pinball works great with analog nudge.

Bottom line, TPA was not designed with cabs in mind. Some folks have done their best to work around the software, but it's not elegant.

When I started, I wanted all TPA tables. Several months in, I'm running all VP9 and Pinball FX2 tables. TPA was too big of a pain.

#1786 6 years ago
    Quoted from delt31:

damn. Not even nudge works?! jeeze. I just think TPAs physics are the best. Does that mean not even the RGB LEDs will go off either?
    Also - does anyone know if the vp cabs mini has force feedback or nudge ability? Or the size of the TVs? They removed it from their website.

You can tie a physical button to nudge with TPA, but you won't be able to shake the machine as with Visual Pinball. I can't physically shake the machine with PinballFX2, so I tied physical buttons to nudge.

#1787 6 years ago
    Quoted from ronaldvg:

Depends on how you start DMDEXT. I start it in a batchfile every time I start a new table and I use the -q switch (I think it is q) so DMDEXT stops after PBFX2 is stopped. That works great.
    Also check if the file dmddevice.dll is everywhere the same version. It was on my system several times but with different versions when I had some trouble with the DMD.

Can you share the command prompt you use? I'm not sure how that would look if it started with every new table, especially with PinballX.

#1790 6 years ago
    Quoted from ronaldvg:

dmdext mirror --source=pinballfx2 -q
    By the way I do use PinballFX2 with analog nudge using X360CE. With that program you can map axis from the nudge controller to a button and thereby you can make the table nudge with shaking the machine.
    http://www.x360ce.com/

That's the script I use, too. No worky. I'll keep troubleshooting.

How well does the 360 controller work with nudge on PBFX2?

#1795 6 years ago

What are some good VPX tables? I went to all VP9 tables because VPX felt 'off.' Nice graphics but physics were wonky. The ball seemed to lean and jump around at random. VP9 is better.

Am I doing something wrong, or does anyone have suggestions?

#1799 6 years ago
    Quoted from Ian720:

A lot of people complained about this. Do you have nudge? If you have a cab w/physical nudge setup, there was a calibration process that needed to happen during your migration from VP9 to VPX. If you didn't re-calibrate the ball was all over the place. I don't have a nudge setup myself, but I def read about this somewhere along the way. Otherwise, it could have to do with dialing down the bells/whistles & keeping the software up to date. The latest versions of VPX & Vpinmame are the smoothest ever for "jumpy ball" syndrome. That said, VPX w/the latest tables def uses more horsepower than VP9 did. Sure is pretty though!

I turned off physical nudge but didn't recalibrate. I'll research. Thanks for the info.

#1800 6 years ago
    Quoted from Ian720:

A lot of people complained about this. Do you have nudge? If you have a cab w/physical nudge setup, there was a calibration process that needed to happen during your migration from VP9 to VPX. If you didn't re-calibrate the ball was all over the place. I don't have a nudge setup myself, but I def read about this somewhere along the way. Otherwise, it could have to do with dialing down the bells/whistles & keeping the software up to date. The latest versions of VPX & Vpinmame are the smoothest ever for "jumpy ball" syndrome. That said, VPX w/the latest tables def uses more horsepower than VP9 did. Sure is pretty though!

Dupe

#1802 6 years ago
    Quoted from gregh43:

Mudflaps Have you tried Pinball X V10.2 . ?
    Theres alot of great VpX tables out. my fave
    is the Stern KISS. Or Star Trek Next Generation. I guess iam not critical on physics parts of the tables. I just enjoy loading tables up that I never played in the arcade.

I'll have to try those. Since I own Kiss it will be a good method of comparison.

#1813 6 years ago

Make sure the volume setting isn't too high in the actual table. This will cause distortion. Set it two notches below full.

http://www.vpforums.org/index.php?showtopic=5220

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Mudflaps.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/virtual-pinball-club?tu=Mudflaps and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.