Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 3,991 posts
  • 352 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 days ago by Mr_Outlane
  • Topic is favorited by 271 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

TFTC FlyerA (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    IMG_0466 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0465 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0464 (resized).JPG
    Top10pro (resized).png
    Top10pro (resized).png
    20240129_125402.png
    Fireballxl5 (resized).png
    2023-12-31 19.32.48 (resized).jpg
    2023-11-17 22.19.51 (resized).jpg
    2023-11-11 03.07.25 (resized).jpg
    2023-11-11 01.58.53 (resized).jpg
    poster2 (resized).png
    411392839_735139934899280_8496203559983449797_n (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Deaconblooze.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#40 10 years ago

I'm still building mine, drafted it in sketchup. I'll be doing a mini pin, already have the monitor (think it's 23", but now can't remember), and will just be using an external computer. Basically, using the cabinet as a sort of peripheral.

I started cutting my cabinet, but had a pretty severe allergic reaction to the MDF. I'm trying to get my dust collection system in place and a better mask before I start that again.

1 month later
    #58 10 years ago

Oh man.. watching video of Tron on these things makes me REALLY want to complete mine! Anyone experiment with head tracking?

2 months later
    #109 10 years ago

That's awesome that FX2 added that second screen support. Does it stop zooming when you plunge, too?

Lots of exciting things on the horizon for virtual pinball!

#129 10 years ago
    Quoted from neurokinetik:

I initially built this as a conversion to my triple-screen racing simulation rig

That looks nice. I've been looking into 8020 to rebuild my own rig. Would you mind sharing some plans if you have them? It's sort of daunting to enter the world of 8020..

2 months later
    #171 9 years ago

I've always wondered about angle of the monitor. I can definitely see what you mean. I also think it looks best to at least tilt set the monitor into the cab at least a little bit. The cabinets with the screen set flush to the top (or close to it) look pretty unnatural.

1 year later
    #1456 8 years ago

Anyone build a virtual pin cocktail cab? I've been thinking about it.. it would be nice to have something that doesn't necessarily take up the space where a machine could reside. I've also contemplated making into more of a bar table..

I've also thought about making a controller stand (similar to what's in that VR video) and wall mounting a TV on a swivel so it could go landscape or portrait. I like the upright cabs that VP cabs makes, those look pretty sharp.

4 weeks later
    #1484 7 years ago

Congrats! I'd love to hear about what the experience was like.

5 years later
    #2666 2 years ago

For those that are utilizing the pinball download site, how are you actually downloading the tables? It seems like you're forced to use 'mega', which has been a pain in the ass for me to try and work around without signing up and paying a subscription, etc.

#2669 2 years ago
    Quoted from luvthatapex2:

what pinball site? I never use mega for vpin downloads (well maybe there was one giant pup table addon but thats rare).
    these are the main sites with the visual pinball tables.
    vpforums.com
    vpuniverse.com

I was looking at www.virtualpinballdownload.com. I was under the impression vpforums had been taken down, and I always had issues finding roms there anyway.

#2673 2 years ago
    Quoted from gregh43:

Deaconblooze Vpinball.com is the site that closed up. The owner was upset that some people were downloading and selling the pinball tables . i respect all the authors that donate their time and energy building these tables and not profiting of it. then when some asswipe comes along and sells their work. they ruin it for the community. I notice since vpinball shut down. there has been alot of authors that don't share out any tables to the community.Vpinball was also really good site to get alot of the Stern tables that were forbidden on Vpforums. VPUniverse is another good site as well. I dont like the Mega download site either. only time I had to use that if a Author posts a PupPack to download. I don't care for Puppacks and don't bother with them. software is too complicated for me. I missed out playing some really good tables that require puppacks . Beatles and Munsters to name a few

Thanks, I'll check that out.

I've been a little fatigued in keeping up with my real machines lately. I started messing with the FX3 app on android a bit. I was pretty annoyed that there isn't a straightforward way to buy the williams tables. I like the fx3 physics overall, at least for a mobile experience. I decided to give the 'free' sessions a play to mess around. It's actually pretty fun, it feels like pingolf, and allows you to earn 'parts' toward the offline versions of the tables. I have basically everything I want now to the level2 (where you can play full games in offline mode) and bought points to purchase the pro physics (cost me about $5, which I would have happily paid for access to these tables in the first place). Overall it gives me a pretty casual experience while the wife and I are hanging out on a weeknight, etc.

Otherwise I'm trying to get a controller built to take advantage of VR. In some cases I think I'd rather just play on a monitor, but don't really want to dedicate the time/space to a dedicated cabinet. For now swiveling my monitor and playing at my desk seems like it will meet my needs. I just need to work on getting everything configured again..

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
    #2675 2 years ago

I've done some searching but I'm not quite clear on a few things (at least not in 2021)...

- What front-end should I use?
    ---- I'm mostly interested in functionality and ease of use than anything else. I'll be playing in VR (any such front-end that supports that?) and a rotated desktop monitor.
    ---- I'd like to be able to click a desktop shortcut, rotate my monitor, and getting into a machine with as little hassle as possible. I'm fine with work up front to achieve that.

- What should I look for to get the most out of a single monitor setup?
    ---- I want to run in 'cabinet mode' but with just the playfield monitor. I would prefer to have a smaller version of the dmd/score display visible on that same monitor (ideally with the ability to move as needed between different tables)

#2679 2 years ago
    Quoted from DudeRegular:

If playing in VR then all the stuff about "regular" VP is not quite the same. The bulk of the info for VPX VR seems to be in the facebook groups dedicated to it.

I figured I'd probably need to run through 2 different setups, but didn't want to figure out later that it wasn't necessary. Thanks, I'll check into it.

So what are my options for 1 portrait screen and a frontend?

Quoted from delt31:

Real pinball + vr pinball for all the old games= perfection.
    With the exception of nudging these new version of tables in vr are unbelievable. If someone denies it they just haven’t tried it properly configured on a pc running 3090 in vr. Simple as that. No it won’t replace but def supplements

Yeah, I think claiming that virtual pinball will never place real pinball is maybe a little short-sighted. Things have advanced really quickly. I feel like the physics are pretty good even in the mainstream releases at this point. I know everyone likes to blame something when they drain, "bad physics" seems like it will be the cry about virtual pinball for quite a while.

#2680 2 years ago

Also if anyone can recall some helpful posts in the last 7(!) years (especially if they're relevant today), it would be pretty cool if you could just give me the post numbers or general page ranges and I'll link them as key posts.

1 year later
    #3466 1 year ago

So what's the best keyboard encoder to go with? I'm looking to just get an external controller together to plug into my PC and set my monitor to portrait.

#3468 1 year ago
    Quoted from matt68061:

Most folks will probably tell you any of the “Zero delay” encoders on Amazon or Ebay are the way to go. I have not had the best luck with em. Some don’t remember settings and some seem to have a delay.
    Im a fan of the Ultimarc minipac or the LED-Wiz… which will allow for some expansion down the road.
    Really any of them will work. My experience is spend a few more $$ and dont cheap out on the encoder.
    Good luck!
    Matt
    ** Ultimarc is based in England I believe but has some US sellers.

Thanks for the advice! I went with the ipac2. I thought about opting for a cheap option for my sim golf box I was going to build, and then I thought I might actually be able to dual purpose my pinball controller into a sim golf button box as well. Going with the good option makes a lot of sense if I can make that work in both use cases. I'll post updates as I have them!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Deaconblooze.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/virtual-pinball-club?tu=Deaconblooze and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.