Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 3,980 posts
  • 351 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 days ago by Mr_Tantrum
  • Topic is favorited by 270 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

TFTC FlyerA (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    IMG_0466 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0465 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0464 (resized).JPG
    Top10pro (resized).png
    Top10pro (resized).png
    20240129_125402.png
    Fireballxl5 (resized).png
    2023-12-31 19.32.48 (resized).jpg
    2023-11-17 22.19.51 (resized).jpg
    2023-11-11 03.07.25 (resized).jpg
    2023-11-11 01.58.53 (resized).jpg
    poster2 (resized).png
    411392839_735139934899280_8496203559983449797_n (resized).jpg

There are 3,980 posts in this topic. You are on page 43 of 80.
    #2101 5 years ago
    Quoted from roar:

You could get a parts list from him and still not get close to how good this looks... his wire management is on point! This is one impressive build!

Thank you so much my friend

#2102 5 years ago

Thanks Roar. Yeah I agree there. haha I would need someone to build it for me. Great Engineering by MeisterJim

#2103 5 years ago
    Quoted from gregh43:

Thanks Roar. Yeah I agree there. haha I would need someone to build it for me. Great Engineering by MeisterJim

thanks my friend

#2104 5 years ago
    Quoted from Meisterjim:

Hi all
    Here is my newest Virtual pinball build, the artwork its complete custom by me, i use all ACDC parts with the ACDC Fire Button and the Bolt
    flasher from acdc
    [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

This is just so awesome, I absolutely love it. I just might try and build my own machine since I have a extra Stern cabinet, not sure how capable I am but the price for performance high end builds just seems to make sense to do it yourself. Is there any websites that you found to be helpful with your build? What feedback options and computer parts did you use? Thanks!

#2105 5 years ago
    Quoted from Pinballlew:

This is just so awesome, I absolutely love it. I just might try and build my own machine since I have a extra Stern cabinet, not sure how capable I am but the price for performance high end builds just seems to make sense to do it yourself. Is there any websites that you found to be helpful with your build? What feedback options and computer parts did you use? Thanks!

I recommend starting with some Facebook groups as they are more active than a lot of websites, and then might link you to a website or other forum, but again, the activity is there.

Some of my favorites are:
    Visual Pinball Addicts
    Visual Pinball Junkies (Be sure to read their FAQ before posting...)
    Virtual Pinball and VPin Cab Builders

You will see posts about the same cabinet that MeisterJim posted here and many more.

As I was typing this, and this in 100% true, my 25 year old daughter texted me out of the blue the following:

"Michael (her husband) just said 'I should just tell your parents to give me a 20 year Christmas gift and give me a pinball machine.' "

He is talking virtual pinball. His statement means to just pool together what we would spend (plus converting build time to money) on his next "20 Christmases" worth of gifts and build him one. If they didn't live 1300 miles away, I would say it would be a good father-in-law/son-in-law project.

Oh, and my response to her text was:
    "Ha. I won't lie, the virtual pinball machine is WAY more fun than I ever expected it to be."

It gets used way more than my almost fully restored Theatre of Magic. It is a beautiful machine that I have a great time playing, but the most action it has seen recently were some audio recordings of all of the various sounds as part of a new and improved virtual version for Visual Pinball X.

#2106 5 years ago
    Quoted from Pinballlew:

Hello,

I can send you the diagram of my cabinet, than you have the perfect cabinet for your build

#2107 5 years ago
    Quoted from nickbuol:

I recommend starting with some Facebook groups as they are more active than a lot of websites, and then might link you to a website or other forum, but again, the activity is there.
    Some of my favorites are:
    Visual Pinball Addicts
    Visual Pinball Junkies (Be sure to read their FAQ before posting...)
    Virtual Pinball and VPin Cab Builders
    You will see posts about the same cabinet that MeisterJim posted here and many more.
    As I was typing this, and this in 100% true, my 25 year old daughter texted me out of the blue the following:
    "Michael (her husband) just said 'I should just tell your parents to give me a 20 year Christmas gift and give me a pinball machine.' "
    He is talking virtual pinball. His statement means to just pool together what we would spend (plus converting build time to money) on his next "20 Christmases" worth of gifts and build him one. If they didn't live 1300 miles away, I would say it would be a good father-in-law/son-in-law project.
    Oh, and my response to her text was:
    "Ha. I won't lie, the virtual pinball machine is WAY more fun than I ever expected it to be."
    It gets used way more than my almost fully restored Theatre of Magic. It is a beautiful machine that I have a great time playing, but the most action it has seen recently were some audio recordings of all of the various sounds as part of a new and improved virtual version for Visual Pinball X.

You absolut right my friend, this groups are very helpful

1 week later
    #2108 5 years ago

Quick question:

I am about to finish my full DOF device install in my Vcab. Is there any preferred order for installing/configuring Pinball X before or after DOF?

Do not want to install one before the other if there is a preferred install order. Thanks

#2110 5 years ago
    Quoted from DJMESA:

Quick question:
    I am about to finish my full DOF device install in my Vcab. Is there any preferred order for installing/configuring Pinball X before or after DOF?
    Do not want to install one before the other if there is a preferred install order. Thanks

This really isn't the best forum for these questions. I would suggest vpforums.com or vpinball.com. They will give you all the info you need. The VP community is very friendly.

#2111 5 years ago
    Quoted from DJMESA:

Quick question:

DJ Mesa, I created about four videos years ago about setting up my VP cab. Take a look if you are interested.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5eSoMb8TGaZRsmEkQBuHxxOuZTL22meD

#2112 5 years ago
    Quoted from DJMESA:

Quick question:

I would suggest you get everything running properly outside of PinballX. That way you will know if any issues are DOF related or if PinballX issue. But usually they play well together and you should have no issues.

#2113 5 years ago
    Quoted from Crile1:

This really isn't the best forum for these questions. I would suggest vpforums.com or vpinball.com. They will give you all the info you need. The VP community is very friendly.

Understood, thanks for the advice. I will post there as well.

#2114 5 years ago
    Quoted from wiggy07:

DJ Mesa, I created about four videos years ago about setting up my VP cab. Take a look if you are interested.
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5eSoMb8TGaZRsmEkQBuHxxOuZTL22meD

Great, thanks I will take a look.

#2115 5 years ago
    Quoted from jesperpark:

I would suggest you get everything running properly outside of PinballX. That way you will know if any issues are DOF related or if PinballX issue. But usually they play well together and you should have no issues.

Yes, that seems logical. I will take your advice. Thanks

1 week later
    #2116 5 years ago

Does anyone know what the best Scanner to use for scanning playfields for Visual pinball? Iam interested in scanning my G N R pinball to contribute scans for a Vp Project. Thanks

#2117 5 years ago

Cruze scanner would be best, but it's lots of money just to have a scan done if you can find a service. A used HP 4670 seems to be the best bet, and it's why I bought one. no one makes a flatbed scanner that doesn't have a ridge around the edge to keep it from being flat on the surface so the image is slightly out of focus. I've seen somewhere that someone modded a cheap flatbed scanner to be able to use it.

#2118 5 years ago

I've been considering selling my Virtual pin and getting a real one. Don't have space for a new game and it is the low man on the totem pole. Anyone else ever consider this? Pros to sell would be to get space and real is real. Cons would be I lose the ability to play all those games. Mine has force feedback, lights, shaker, etc. Not the same on a desktop.

#2119 5 years ago

I had a pretty great vpin that I sold (amongst several other things) for a Metallica... which shortly there after spawned a TWD which lead to a LOTR... i occasionally feel inspired to build another Vpin when I see the likes of the new releases like TAF but ultimately I just go turn on my TWD and the urge passes. I’m a big supporter of vpin and believe it has a place in a bigger collection... but for my dollars and space constraints I’d rather have one or two real pins than one pimped out vpin. Obviously just one persons opinion.

#2120 5 years ago

Agreed !size of the collection matters. Sometimes I just wanna play visual pinball and can. But it’s a staple for me. I love the variety. That stranger things pin is in my top 5 all time of any pin Good luck

#2121 5 years ago
    Quoted from Crile1:

I've been considering selling my Virtual pin and getting a real one. Don't have space for a new game and it is the low man on the totem pole. Anyone else ever consider this? Pros to sell would be to get space and real is real. Cons would be I lose the ability to play all those games. Mine has force feedback, lights, shaker, etc. Not the same on a desktop.

Similar to you, I have 7 real pins and a nice VP. The VP can’t compare to the real thing but you’ll probably regret selling it. Hard to find nice ones for a good price and it’s a great way to sample/learn games. Easier to mix up the real ones since they are easy to sell and hold their value.

#2122 5 years ago

Yeah Crile1 i have considered selling mine too. it can be frustrating at times
    with the Vp software and all the table updates. but its fun to play differnt tables i never got to play in the arcade.
    I have about 13 real pins . but another plus with virtual is no worries about machine breaking down. upkeep on real machines can be spendy. What you wanna get out of your Virtual? does yours have toys to make it sound and feel real? iam looking for one with the add ons. Thanks BorgDog for all the info. Appreciate it. I see your from
    WA. are you going to be attending the
    Pinball expo in Tacoma? i'll be heading down there for it. Do you know if there be any virtuals there? Would like to check out the pinball museum. is that better than the Expo? Thanks

#2123 5 years ago

I've been to the show the last 3 years in Tacoma, but will probably only be there on Friday this year. There was a home built virtual there last year as well as some of the vpcabs setups in a booth, don't know about this year. I've never been to the pinball museum, hear good things about it though.

#2124 5 years ago

Thanks BorgDog for all the info. Will take it in Friday and saturday. Heading to Auburn to see a friend and check out Seattle. hope theres some Virtuals there. that would be great.

#2125 5 years ago

I have to say that is a tough call. If you've got a virtual pin that is done right, they are amazing. In fact I think they are as great as a real pin, just in a different way. Both have their advantages. To me, a virtual pin is like a carnival in a box with the ability to play many games and customize as you wish. A real pinball can be the same experience, only with one game. I consider a virtual pin an essential part of my overall collection.

Quoted from Crile1:

#2126 5 years ago
    Quoted from Meisterjim:

Hello,
    I can send you the diagram of my cabinet, than you have the perfect cabinet for your build

Very impressive and inspiring builds. I too would like info on your AC/DC build and cabinet to start my first virtual pinball. Did you already post this somewhere in another group/forum? Thanks

#2127 5 years ago

I would like to get the diagrams and info on MeisterJim's Ac/Dc Build. its Awesome and best looking cab I have seen

#2128 5 years ago

I would love to hire someone to take my cab and make everything work. I have fought it for years and dumped more hours and money into it than any real pin I have ever owned. My wife is begging me to keep it as we have only a limited amount of space for games and thus a VPIN is great for us but truth be told I am over the battle.

I am ok with paying someone in the know to make it all work for me. If anyone wants to take on the task lmk. To be honest it might not take someone long to deal with it that knows all the ends and outs of the software side. All my feedback is working and even FX3 for the most is working fine. I just no longer have the patience or time to get it all done.

Essentially none of my tables work for colordmd purposes (have a pindmd3), at least 1/2 of my tables do not display right or work right i.e. wrong size, lock up instantly, DMD goes missing etc.), nothing using UltraDMD works (like Champions League and more). Cab sensor for nudging is overly sensitive so even during normal play no shaking the ball is effected.

If anyone is interested in taking on the task reach out to me please. FYI I use pinup popper so you would need to be familiar with that as well (its much better than pinball X IMHO).

This was originally an VirtuaPin cab to start with but the only thing left from that original build is the backglass monitor and the cabinet. All computer hardware has been updated (twice), PF monitor has been updated (twice), plunger has been changed from the useless Virtuapin plunger to zebs plunger, zebs full feedback kit has been installed and works via DOF (this part works well except the LED buttons do nothing for some reason even though they should interact with the game). Basically all of my issues are software based with the exception of the sensor for nudging etc (overly sensitive).

FYI I am in Richmond, VA and happy to bring you the cab to work on if you want.

#2129 4 years ago

I feel your pain GCS2000. I have the same problem as you and would like to have my system gone through and set up with Pinball X , PinPup. and latest sam build and pinmame. I would pay for time and service. I have TeamView if anyone looking to take iy on. Iam not asking for games or roms i know how to install that. its the software thats funky and confusing. i have a $5000 rig and want it to run like a lamborghini . Thanks

#2130 4 years ago

Finally, properly joining the club here with our new build, Radiant Silverball. Stage 1 is basically finished: cabinet, computer, controls. Widebody lockdown bar and legs are vintage Bally, coin door came from a six-player X-Men cab (and even wired so you can add coins via the reject inserts!), playfield is a 9-year old 47" right now. The cab is patterned after a Gottlieb System 1, since we have a Solar Ride to reference.

1 month later
    #2131 4 years ago

Dumb question, but where does one begin? I've searched the threads and seen some really great builds, but am still struggling a bit to see the full build process. Any recommendations for those interested in starting a build?

#2132 4 years ago
    Quoted from DParcade:

Dumb question, but where does one begin? I've searched the threads and seen some really great builds, but am still struggling a bit to see the full build process. Any recommendations for those interested in starting a build?

I’d say head to vpforums or vpinball.com. Lots more active support in those places, lots of build threads... including my own over on vpforums in the cabinet build forum.

I took a couple of steps myself... first was get the software running outside a cabinet... once I knew I could handle that I knocked up a proof of concept mini like cabinet/controller with all the buttons and solenoids working... once I knew I could handle that I dug into the cabinet build after picking up a trim kit from virtuapin (Paul from the owner of vpforums), side art followed and endless tweaking but you get the idea.

Obviously a lot more going on than that but those are the broad strokes. Pics are in my build thread same user name there.

#2133 4 years ago

DParcade If you are on Facebook, another good resource is the ‘Visual Pinball Junkies’ group. There are full tutorials on the software side of things. You’ll want to use PinUp Popper front end. It’s pretty much the ONLY way to go with Virtual pinball. Nothing compares and the support is second to none.

#2134 4 years ago
    Quoted from DParcade:

As mentioned, the forums and the Facebook group are informative. The YouTube videos that Bambi Plattfuss created are informative as well. The Pinscape web site is very helpful. I’m just getting started and keeping a log (and taking my time). I’ve started acquiring parts. I decided on the Acer ET430K 4K display for the playfield. For a cabinet, I’m going with a Virtuapin Widebody (flat pack). The controller will be a KL25Z board running Pinscape. I’m leaning towards relays (as opposed to driver boards) to drive Siemens contactors. For the DMD, I’m hoping to repurpose a ColorDMD. Lots of decisions to make and lots to do, and I suspect a lot of it will be trial and error. The big question is this: will it be more fun building it or more fun playing it?

1 month later
    #2135 4 years ago

Here is a overview of my Virtual Pinball machine. Check out my other videos on my channel. Let me know what you think.

#2136 4 years ago

Good work on the VP... I like your solution with the slots to fit the bigger screen, pretty cool.

#2137 4 years ago
    Quoted from roar:

Good work on the VP... I like your solution with the slots to fit the bigger screen, pretty cool.

Thank you. I appreciate that.

#2138 4 years ago

Nice machine!

I ended up putting slots in to slide my 43" 4K monitor in from the back to also get rid of any bezel from view. I recessed some addressable LED strips above the playfield monitor and covered those with tinted Plexiglas that hides everything flush until the LEDs kick in. I also created slots for the backbox monitor to slide in from the top of the backbox, again for a "zero bezel" look. I think that things look a LOT better when the screen is more edge to edge like that.

Now, I did have to get a custom lockdown bar as this pushed things to be 3/8" wider than a standard WPC sized cabinet, and I had to de-case and reinforce the 43" monitor to squeeze as much in there as possible and to the naked eye, it looks the same width as my Theater of Magic pinball that sits right next to it and doesn't need extra wood attached to the outside to hide the slots for the playfield or provide structural reinforcement. It was a bit pricier to get the custom lockdown though...

By sliding in the back, I can get my monitor all the way up to my lockdown bar and not have that gap up front by the flippers, so my flippers on screen and the flipper buttons are more accurately aligned. I managed to get the buttons and plunger to be in the standard locations (unlike a lot of people who drop their plunger down low or put it below a "Launch Ball" button, which to me looks odd if trying to emulate an authentic pinball cabinet and layout.)

I did fill the upper part above the playfield with an LED matrix that works great for both a filler as well as added effects.

Just a different approach that I wanted to share for people that are interested in some of the options.

You are 100% right though that it looks way better without the visible bezels, and anyone on the fence about virtual pinball should really give it a shot. It is a lot of fun.

Sorry that my attached photos aren't better quality.

VP - Front.jpgVP - Front.jpgVP - Side.jpgVP - Side.jpg20190109_001352-ANIMATION.gif20190109_001352-ANIMATION.gif20190109_001519.jpg20190109_001519.jpg20190109_001713_002-ANIMATION.gif20190109_001713_002-ANIMATION.gif
    #2139 4 years ago
    Quoted from nickbuol:

Nice machine!
    I ended up putting slots in to slide my 43" 4K monitor in from the back to also get rid of any bezel from view. I recessed some addressable LED strips above the playfield monitor and covered those with tinted Plexiglas that hides everything flush until the LEDs kick in. I also created slots for the backbox monitor to slide in from the top of the backbox, again for a "zero bezel" look. I think that things look a LOT better when the screen is more edge to edge like that.
    Now, I did have to get a custom lockdown bar as this pushed things to be 3/8" wider than a standard WPC sized cabinet, and I had to de-case and reinforce the 43" monitor to squeeze as much in there as possible and to the naked eye, it looks the same width as my Theater of Magic pinball that sits right next to it and doesn't need extra wood attached to the outside to hide the slots for the playfield or provide structural reinforcement. It was a bit pricier to get the custom lockdown though...
    By sliding in the back, I can get my monitor all the way up to my lockdown bar and not have that gap up front by the flippers, so my flippers on screen and the flipper buttons are more accurately aligned. I managed to get the buttons and plunger to be in the standard locations (unlike a lot of people who drop their plunger down low or put it below a "Launch Ball" button, which to me looks odd if trying to emulate an authentic pinball cabinet and layout.)
    I did fill the upper part above the playfield with an LED matrix that works great for both a filler as well as added effects.
    Just a different approach that I wanted to share for people that are interested in some of the options.
    You are 100% right though that it looks way better without the visible bezels, and anyone on the fence about virtual pinball should really give it a shot. It is a lot of fun.
    Sorry that my attached photos aren't better quality.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Very nice machine.

#2140 4 years ago

That’s breathtaking.

#2141 4 years ago

That looks great! I'm debating finishing my virtual setup or waiting longer and trying to find a real first pin.

#2142 4 years ago

Glad I found a VPIN club! I am Arcade & Pinball Talk found on youtube.. if you like Virtual Pinball as well as mechanical then check us out! Rumors, Talkshow, Interviews, Reviews..

Help a pindad out and subscribe to Arcade & Pinball Talk:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCsdYotuI5FNT3k_tcXG4qoA

#2143 4 years ago
    Quoted from NathanN:

Glad I found a VPIN club! I am Arcade & Pinball Talk found on youtube.. if you like Virtual Pinball as well as mechanical then check us out! Rumors, Talkshow, Interviews, Reviews..
    Help a pindad out and subscribe to Arcade & Pinball Talk:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCsdYotuI5FNT3k_tcXG4qoA

I need something new to watch on YouTube.... I just subscribed.

1 week later
    #2144 4 years ago

Anyone messed with PinPup? Did you like it? Was it easy to install on your cab

#2145 4 years ago
    Quoted from gregh43:

Yes it's a better front end & it's a little tricky to get going... https://www.nailbuster.com/wikipinup/doku.php?id=install_guide

Make sure you have the latest pinmame & VPX 10.6 I had some help with my build.

#2146 4 years ago
    Quoted from gregh43:

Make sure to follow the instructions very precisely and do not only rush over them or you might get into trouble getting everything to work.

#2147 4 years ago

PinUp was pretty easy to install. As noted, follow the instructions carefully, I didn't, but I didn't have any real trouble as I've been watching it since it was "just" the PinUp Player. PinUp Popper quickly and decisively "fired" PinballX for me as the front end of choice. I even got it to support my PostDMD configuration in the front end with a little fiddling with the audio screen, and some choice media installs.

If you need video help, TerryRed on YouTube has a bunch of videos just on installing and configuring PinUp.

#2148 4 years ago

Can Pinside add a machine link just for a generic Virtual Pinball Cab? That way we could all add to our collection for those of us with virtual cabs. Just a thought.

#2149 4 years ago

Thanks everyone for your help and info links. Was going to try it out on my Laptop first to get the hang of it.before trying it on my cab. Seems like it could be a challenge for me on the Cab. This Pinball Software stuff iam not good at.

#2150 4 years ago
    Quoted from GTO:

Can Pinside add a machine link just for a generic Virtual Pinball Cab? That way we could all add to our collection for those of us with virtual cabs. Just a thought.

And expect to see all the "it's literally just a video game, get a real pinball in that space" types in the thread about asking that be added.

There are 3,980 posts in this topic. You are on page 43 of 80.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/virtual-pinball-club/page/43 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.