(Topic ID: 73334)

Virtual Pinball Club

By boogies

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    IMG_0466 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0465 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0464 (resized).JPG
    Top10pro (resized).png
    Top10pro (resized).png
    20240129_125402.png
    Fireballxl5 (resized).png
    2023-12-31 19.32.48 (resized).jpg
    2023-11-17 22.19.51 (resized).jpg
    2023-11-11 03.07.25 (resized).jpg
    2023-11-11 01.58.53 (resized).jpg
    poster2 (resized).png
    411392839_735139934899280_8496203559983449797_n (resized).jpg
    411196260_873669708101535_71517411857185525_n (resized).jpg

There are 3,974 posts in this topic. You are on page 41 of 80.
    #2001 5 years ago

Using a pinscape board with your plunger would allow you to get rid of the big launch button and keep the front even cleaner/more realistic looking.
    -Mike

#2002 5 years ago

I've found that some people actually like the launch button for some games.

That being said, I almost removed mine from my plans since my controller (Zebs Deluxe Plunger v2 board) can do a launch as well.

What stands out as more out of place on that beautiful cabinet is the single coin slot more than anything else. Maybe since the slot and return are black against the red door, but it would look better if it was a 2 slot door in my opinion.

Nitpicking for sure though.

#2003 5 years ago

Thanks guys, i use this time the pincontrol2, And yes i like To Play the Games with the analog plunger ans also
    For some Games like indiajones with Rock me Button, i Chose the Single Slot Coin becouse its looks more modern like Stern, the dual slot its Looks To oldschool.

#2004 5 years ago

Nice Looking Cab! The Best looking one I ever seen. Envy you. Wish you were building and selling em. I would buy one

#2005 5 years ago
    Quoted from Meisterjim:

i Chose the Single Slot Coin becouse its looks more modern like Stern, the dual slot its Looks To oldschool.

Stern uses dual slot coin doors....

Three coin slots or doors that were plain steel (not painted) would look oldschool.

Again, it is a great cabinet, but I think that the black plastic makes the coin door stand out a bit. If you could get those the same color as the door, it would be a little cleaner on a cabinet that looks awesome.

#2006 5 years ago
    Quoted from Meisterjim:

My Vpin its finished ☺️ I am so happy with the Design

That looks fantastic! Great job!

#2007 5 years ago

I would never buy a Vpin from Brad at VPCabs. Hes a slimeball if hes still selling machines with Vp Tables loaded on it. Profiting off of people that bust their Ass making these tables for us in the Vp community to enjoy. I appreciate all they do and owe them countless Thanks. Just remember without these Great Talents you wouldnt be playing VP. Thank them for all their tireless work they do putting out awesome pinball tables from past to present.

#2008 5 years ago

Wow those are some of the nicest cabs I've ever seen used for VP.

PBA and ZEN I never understood, the physics always felt really off to me. The ball seems to move really slow, and it was near impossible to miss shots. A little clunky and I don't like the fact you can't adjust anything.
    I appreciate the guys who do the work on those vp sites, I purchased some games like AC/DC, Star trek, Spiderman & AFMR because I was able to play them on VP enough to discover they were really great games. Sucks they probably won't ever be able to emulate newer spike or JJP games. Still a huge selection of games though.

Maybe someday the nudging will get more realistic. Hard to adjust to VP style play after playing a real machine sometimes.

#2009 5 years ago
    Quoted from nickbuol:

Stern uses dual slot coin doors....

Not in Germany (Europe?).

Look here my GoT.

_A233908 (resized).JPG_A233908 (resized).JPG
    #2010 5 years ago

read this article supposely this dude is working on spike emulator.

https://www.patreon.com/posts/update-february-17686171

#2011 5 years ago
    Quoted from Metengo:

Not in Germany (Europe?).
    Look here my GoT.[quoted image]

Well there you go. Looks normal to you because that is what you see in Germany. Stern's website (at least what they show here in the U.S.) shows their machines all with 2 coin slots, and when I see any machine from the 90's on to today, they all have 2 coin slots, so thus it seems odd for me to see a single one.

#2012 5 years ago

In case folks here really care -
    Single slot doors were (back in the 90's) usually sent to countries that required an electronic coin mech. (Cashflow, G.30, etc) These mechs would accept a slew of coins and automatically pulse the correct coin switch. Countries the either had no ability for an electronic coin mech, or not enough current coins to warrant one would have three. Then the US, Canada and other countries would just have two. Whohoo.

3 weeks later
    #2013 5 years ago

hey guys - thinking about rejoining the club. If anyone is thinking about selling theirs (and it has force feedback - which would be imperative), reach out.

Thanks!

#2014 5 years ago
    Quoted from delt31:

hey guys - thinking about rejoining the club. If anyone is thinking about selling theirs (and it has force feedback - which would be imperative), reach out.
    Thanks!

Don't do it! You'll only sell it in a couple of weeks!

#2015 5 years ago
    Quoted from delt31:

Thanks!

Curious who makes the best VP's atm... Thinking of taking the plunge, no pun intended, also...

#2016 5 years ago
    Quoted from Blacksun:

Curious who makes the best VP's atm (Full Size, Loaded)... Thinking of taking the plunge, no pun intended, also...

1 month later
    #2017 5 years ago

So I'm back in the club. Edit - all good!

#2018 5 years ago

Its been pulled off the sites for legal issues. you will have to find someone willing to share it out

#2019 5 years ago

Checkout the new transformers badass!!

#2020 5 years ago

That is a serious amount of work finding those clips in the 3 movies and applying them to the segments. Looks great!!!

Quoted from Bartzenegger:

Checkout the new transformers badass!!

#2021 5 years ago
    Quoted from luvthatapex2:

That is a serious amount of work finding those clips in the 3 movies and applying them to the segments. Looks great!!!

I was talking to Terry on the weekend at the Ottawa Pinball show and I believe he said it took him a better part of a month to do it. Tons of work.

#2023 5 years ago

My current cab has these

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/20-9663-1

I would like to replace them with the standard pinball buttons:

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/A-16883-4

Can I do this without rewiring these? The buttons work fine but I prefer the classic buttons found on my real ones.

Even if I could somehow remove the color button from it's casing and replace it with the concave button that would work!

#2024 5 years ago
    Quoted from delt31:

My current cab has these
    https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/20-9663-1
    I would like to replace them with the standard pinball buttons:
    https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/A-16883-4
    Can I do this without rewiring these? The buttons work fine but I prefer the classic buttons found on my real ones.
    Even if I could somehow remove the color button from it's casing and replace it with the concave button that would work!

As I recall, those buttons are quite different. How about getting the standard concave buttons plus leaf switches? I guess that involves "rewiring", but it's pretty simple and would feel more like a real machine, I think.

#2025 5 years ago
    Quoted from Paul_from_Gilroy:

As I recall, those buttons are quite different. How about getting the standard concave buttons plus leaf switches? I guess that involves "rewiring", but it's pretty simple and would feel more like a real machine, I think.

I guess it would involve resoldering the wires to the leaf switch? Do you know which leaf switch I would need?

#2026 5 years ago

Hello guys,
    sorry to barge in here with my n00b question when the info's probably already in thread somewhere, but since there's 41 pages and no "key posts" tool in this thread...
    I'm entertaining the idea of building a table (single screen) virtual pinball - I have no clue what software I need (especially with the whole Stern licensing stuff I read about somewhere), what's the minimum config (I have an old laptop which runs MAME pretty well, would that do? If not, Raspberry Pi?, etc.), how to interface with actual leaf switch buttons, etc.
    I'm sure there's a big ol' wiki somewhere that explains all of it, would anyone here be so kind as to point me in the right direction?

#2027 5 years ago

Quick list:
    MAME can run on next to nothing. Good VP needs horsepower.
    4K is no longer "the future" it is "the now" which means good video card, nice CPU, etc.
    Visual Pinball is still the best all around to go with, but you can always add things like FX3 or others.
    PinUP Popper is not only the most modern front end menu, it may soon become a requirement for some pinball tables (Wizard of Oz is WIP and the backglass animations are too much for current non-Popper capabilities)
    You will want some sort of controller board geared towards pinball with nudge and maybe plunger capabilities. I am using a Zeb's Deluxe Plunger v2.0 which comes with a board that does the plunger, plus all of my buttons, plus lighting control for 4 of the buttons, plus the ability to run 2 contactors or solenoids for some basic flipper force feedback.
    You don't need the old school DOF setup anymore for force feedback. Check into SSF (surround sound feedback for visual pinball). It uses exciters (think speaker without a "cone") and creates table sounds in a 3 dimensional plane including rolling ball sounds that actually follow the ball.

Check out some of the Facebook groups for a lot of useful information. Visual Pinball Addicts and Visual Pinball Junkies are some good ones. There is the SSF one mentioned above. Everything discussion wise seems to be heading to Facebook and away from dedicated forums. There is still a wealth of information on VPForums.org as well.

Lastly, here is my computer specs for my 4K setup. This is overpowered, but I don't have to worry about future resource needs anytime soon.
    Intel i7-8700K CPU
    Noctua NH-D15 cooler (huge, lots of air, but works amazing and is quiet)
    ASRock Z370 Killer SLI/ac Motherboard
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4-3200 RAM
    Samsung 960EVO 250GB M.2 SSD (holy crap is this fast. Way faster than even a regular SSD.)
    MSI GeForce GTX 1080 DUKE OC Video Card
    SeaSonic DOCUS Plus Gold 750W 80+ modular power supply

It works amazingly well and is great to play.

#2028 5 years ago

Boy oh boy, this is exactly all the condensed information I was looking for.
    Thanks a lot.
    Now, I may be getting in over my head a little more than I thought - maybe I'll just start with a MAME build with my old laptop and a craigslist TV before I move on to a virtual pinball build since this seems like a way more expensive project. I was hoping to be able to do this for under a thousand bucks.

I don't know how to generate a key post section in the thread (maybe only the OP can?) but I think your post should be hot linked!

Thanks again.

#2029 5 years ago

I'm also updating to 4k and building a beast of a machine! Not going to be cheap but worth it. I have a professionally built cab with MM side art

The last config above me is awesome although the CPU is overkill I love the passion! 1070 or above GPU for 4k it's necessary
    I'm going 1070 ti

#2030 5 years ago
    Quoted from PhilGreg:

Boy oh boy, this is exactly all the condensed information I was looking for.
    Thanks a lot.
    Now, I may be getting in over my head a little more than I thought - maybe I'll just start with a MAME build with my old laptop and a craigslist TV before I move on to a virtual pinball build since this seems like a way more expensive project. I was hoping to be able to do this for under a thousand bucks.
    I don't know how to generate a key post section in the thread (maybe only the OP can?) but I think your post should be hot linked!
    Thanks again.

You could also look at a mini-build or something. Smaller monitors/TVs, not 4K, no plunger, less computer requirements, etc...

#2031 5 years ago
    Quoted from delt31:

I'm also updating to 4k and building a beast of a machine! Not going to be cheap but worth it. I have a professionally built cab with MM side art
    The last config above me is awesome although the CPU is overkill I love the passion! 1070 or above GPU for 4k it's necessary
    I'm going 1070 ti

Yeah, but the CPU wasn't the expensive part. LOL I think that I paid less than 50% of the GPU price on my CPU. Again, I wanted something that could handle anything that I threw at it today and in the future. When I bought that system it was over $1600. Getting a lower CPU would have saved me maybe $100-$150 with a less expensive motherboard as well (since it wouldn't need to be 8th generation compatible). A small savings when putting a lot of money into my cabinet. The real sad part is that if I would have waited 2 more months on buying my computer, the GPU would have dropped $250 more dollars. Oh well.

#2032 5 years ago

For comparison, here is my virtual build next to my Theatre of Magic pinball. Zero visible bezel on the playfield or backglass display. Plunger in the right spot (not dropped down or off to the side oddly).

I have been having troubles with the addressable LED strips on the sides (also recessed into the sides of the cabinet above the playfield) and the LED matrix in the back, so they aren't visible as they are also covered with anti-glare privacy film and tinted plexi, just like my DMD so that there is zero reflection off of the glass or playfield screen from the DMD or any of the LEDs (I tested with a $20 LED controller off of Amazon, so I just need to figure out the Teensy board any why it isn't sending the signal for in game LEDs).

20180702_232137 (resized).jpg20180702_232137 (resized).jpg20180713_075510 (resized).jpg20180713_075510 (resized).jpg20180713_075537 (resized).jpg20180713_075537 (resized).jpg20180725_211004 (resized).jpg20180725_211004 (resized).jpg
    #2033 5 years ago

Whats PinUP Popper? is it easy to install? Has anyone tried out the Wizard of Oz Table ? Thanks

#2035 5 years ago
    Quoted from nickbuol:

For comparison, here is my virtual build next to my Theatre of Magic pinball. Zero visible bezel on the playfield or backglass display. Plunger in the right spot (not dropped down or off to the side oddly).
    I have been having troubles with the addressable LED strips on the sides (also recessed into the sides of the cabinet above the playfield) and the LED matrix in the back, so they aren't visible as they are also covered with anti-glare privacy film and tinted plexi, just like my DMD so that there is zero reflection off of the glass or playfield screen from the DMD or any of the LEDs (I tested with a $20 LED controller off of Amazon, so I just need to figure out the Teensy board any why it isn't sending the signal for in game LEDs).[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Nice build!!!

So pin2dmd is full color too? I thought only Pin3dmd? ALso - where did you get the tinted plex for the DMD itself?

#2036 5 years ago
    Quoted from delt31:

Nice build!!!
    So pin2dmd is full color too? I thought only Pin3dmd? ALso - where did you get the tinted plex for the DMD itself?

Thanks. Pin2DMD has always been full color. PinDMD3 is completely different. A lot of people say that Pin2DMD is superior to PinDMD3, which is why I went that route, but I have never used or seen PinDMD3 before, so I have no first hand experience with it.

I bought a huge 24" x 48" x 1/8"sheet of tinted Plexiglas off of Amazon. It was like $35 plus $20 shipping, so NOT cheap.

I wanted something that I could cut really long strips of Plexiglas from to cover my recessed side LEDs. If I was just covering the LED matrix and DMD, a 24x24 piece would have worked. Just be aware that getting actually tinted Plexiglas (the actual brand) is a lot tougher than clear Plexiglas. I tried a brand new scoring knife and it barely did anything. I bought Acrylic cutting blades for my reciprocating saw next, and no matter how I cut things, it always chipped even with the nicer blades. In the end I used my router with a cut-off bit and it made super nice cuts, but it does take a little bit of setup to create a "fence" to use as a guide for the router to cut out just 1/2" of plexi, but after a little trial and error it worked perfectly.

#2037 5 years ago

Thanks Jesperpark for the Link. Appeciate it. I'll look into it.

#2038 5 years ago

4k tv/monitor update -

I ended up buying both a 43 inch LG 4k tv (43UK6300) with very low input lag and the ACER 43 monitor (ET430k). I first received the LG and was happy - nice PQ, no flipper lag. Then the ACER came in and blew it away. PQ is so much better and response time being quicker led to a super clear game of pin. The only negative is the input lag is a tad higher but still flipper lag pretty much not there.

Clear winner is the ACER.....

#2039 5 years ago
    Quoted from delt31:

4k tv/monitor update -
    I ended up buying both a 43 inch LG 4k tv (43UK6300) with very low input lag and the ACER 43 monitor (ET430k). I first received the LG and was happy - nice PQ, no flipper lag. Then the ACER came in and blew it away. PQ is so much better and response time being quicker led to a super clear game of pin. The only negative is the input lag is a tad higher but still flipper lag pretty much not there.

Have you tried/added the "fastflips" option that has been added lately? Brings Pinmame response time from 18ms down to under 2ms. Every little bit helps, when I add fastflips to a table my score increases as lag is decreased.

#2040 5 years ago
    Quoted from jesperpark:

Have you tried/added the "fastflips" option that has been added lately? Brings Pinmame response time from 18ms down to under 2ms. Every little bit helps, when I add fastflips to a table my score increases as lag is decreased.

I've seen this recently - is that an option that exists in the table or vpx? Playing more today, the lag is virtually not even there but like you said, I'll try it out!

#2041 5 years ago

It's table by table for now, there was some work being done on being a blanket option

#2042 5 years ago
    Quoted from jesperpark:

It's table by table for now, there was some work being done on being a blanket option

OK I need to see how you manually apply it. I know some come with it built in.

#2043 5 years ago
    Quoted from delt31:

4k tv/monitor update -

I bought the Acer ET430K last November and love it. It works great for 4K VP. Glad to hear that it out-does the LG as I had to buy it off of blind faith and nobody had done any comparisons to other 4K options.

#2044 5 years ago

Virtual pinball has always intrigued me. Can't replace the real thing, but if I had one loaded w/a bunch of tables on it I'll never own (due to space, money, etc.) next to the real pins - always seemed like a neat idea. I saw some videos of the 4K setups and I admit, they look amazing. Ditto on the physics too - impressive. I haven't read the entire thread here, but I've checked out a fair number of web sites devoted to the builds...seems like a lot of convoluted info. Somewhat hard to pick which way to get started and build instructions look like a lot 'bits and pieces' at times. Rather confusing!

#2045 5 years ago

Has anyone tried the Samsung 43NU7100 43" NU7100 Smart 4K UHD TV 2018?

I am interested in comparing it to the Acer ET430K for image quality and lag.

1 week later
    #2046 5 years ago
    Quoted from Marcbud:

Has anyone tried the Samsung 43NU7100 43" NU7100 Smart 4K UHD TV 2018?
    I am interested in comparing it to the Acer ET430K for image quality and lag.

I have UN40NU7100, 40'' version of the 43'' NU7100, pretty happy with response time and angled viewing,

don't have the acer to compare to, the 4k Samsung replaced a commercial monitor with low lag but only 720p

#2047 5 years ago

How do I get FX3 back box images on my VP Cab cabinet? They don't seem to be in my Pinball X Game Manager, but of course are on my Steam account.

#2048 5 years ago

Any Virtual owners in the North Dakota Area? prefer Bismarck area or close By. Thanks

#2049 5 years ago

Starting my 3rd attempt at a virtual cab! First one had all the software and hardware but trying to custom build a cabinet proved too difficult given limited resources. Second attempt was with an old Disco Fever cab that I was going to strip and paint black until I could apply custom decals. Fell apart in the preparatory stages. Finally I think I’m on the right track but need some help! What’s the best size tv/monitor for the playfield on a WPC 95 standard body cabinet? Thanks in advance!

D601B2A2-0DA7-4F4E-8F23-75A4F358AB24 (resized).jpegD601B2A2-0DA7-4F4E-8F23-75A4F358AB24 (resized).jpeg
    1 week later
    #2050 5 years ago
    Quoted from Camvr2013:

What’s the best size tv/monitor for the playfield on a WPC 95 standard body cabinet?

I used a 40" playfield monitor, 32" backglass monitor and a 17" DMD monitor. If you are trying to save the graphics you might need to go slightly smaller with the backglass monitor. I ended up routing out a couple of slots for it to fit.

IMG_20170422_223528 (resized).jpgIMG_20170422_223528 (resized).jpg

IMG_20170428_185941 (resized).jpgIMG_20170428_185941 (resized).jpg

IMG_20170429_205419 (resized).jpgIMG_20170429_205419 (resized).jpg

There are 3,974 posts in this topic. You are on page 41 of 80.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/virtual-pinball-club/page/41 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.