Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 3,975 posts
  • 351 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 hour ago by Smaug
  • Topic is favorited by 270 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    IMG_0466 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0465 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0464 (resized).JPG
    Top10pro (resized).png
    Top10pro (resized).png
    20240129_125402.png
    Fireballxl5 (resized).png
    2023-12-31 19.32.48 (resized).jpg
    2023-11-17 22.19.51 (resized).jpg
    2023-11-11 03.07.25 (resized).jpg
    2023-11-11 01.58.53 (resized).jpg
    poster2 (resized).png
    411392839_735139934899280_8496203559983449797_n (resized).jpg
    411196260_873669708101535_71517411857185525_n (resized).jpg

There are 3,975 posts in this topic. You are on page 39 of 80.
    #1901 6 years ago

Hey all. I'm having some issues with my setup. I have a 3 screen system, with the playfield and dmd on the gpu, and the backglass on the mobo gpu. My backglass is screen 1, playfield screen 2 (main display), and dmd screen 3.

Here's the problem, the only way that I've found for VPX to work is to use this setup and move the dmd to screen 3, give it a shake, and it'll stay. However, when I installed Future Pinball, I cannot get the backglass to go to the backglass screen. It keeps splitting it between screen 2 and 3. If I move the screens around in my settings, Future Pinball will work, but the the dmd won't stay on screen 3 in VPX.

In summary, I cannot keep the dmd on screen 3 for both VPX and FP. Any advice?

#1902 6 years ago

4K Tv is what most are leaning towards. I plan on updating my cab to 4K. just need to get a more decent video card. Would like to get the
    Nvidia Geforce 1070 GTX . A little pricey at
    the moment. the card i have now is the GeForce 760 Gtx. I recently updated Visual Pinball sofware to 10.5. I dont remember what i had my video settings in VP set at before i updated. seems like the tables dont play fast and smooth. and the flippers lag too. was wondering if anyone could share out their video settings in VP. or what recommended settings should be to get back to fast smooth play again.. Thanks

#1903 6 years ago
    Quoted from maffewl:

Hey all. I'm having some issues with my setup. I have a 3 screen system, with the playfield and dmd on the gpu, and the backglass on the mobo gpu. My backglass is screen 1, playfield screen 2 (main display), and dmd screen 3.
    Here's the problem, the only way that I've found for VPX to work is to use this setup and move the dmd to screen 3, give it a shake, and it'll stay. However, when I installed Future Pinball, I cannot get the backglass to go to the backglass screen. It keeps splitting it between screen 2 and 3. If I move the screens around in my settings, Future Pinball will work, but the the dmd won't stay on screen 3 in VPX.
    In summary, I cannot keep the dmd on screen 3 for both VPX and FP. Any advice?

Sorry, I use 2 screens.
    Maybe try running everything through gpu?

#1904 6 years ago

I'm running VP 10.4 with 3 screens, a Geforce 750-ti, windows 7 with 8gb ram and have no slowdowns or lag with any table. Try the 10.4 executable again, perhaps 10.5 has some bugs?

Quoted from gregh43:

4K Tv is what most are leaning towards. I plan on updating my cab to 4K. just need to get a more decent video card. Would like to get the
    Nvidia Geforce 1070 GTX . A little pricey at
    the moment. the card i have now is the GeForce 760 Gtx. I recently updated Visual Pinball sofware to 10.5. I dont remember what i had my video settings in VP set at before i updated. seems like the tables dont play fast and smooth. and the flippers lag too. was wondering if anyone could share out their video settings in VP. or what recommended settings should be to get back to fast smooth play again.. Thanks

#1905 6 years ago

Thanks Luvthatapex2. can you post a screenshot of your video options in Visual pinball please.

#1906 6 years ago
    Quoted from RonSS:

Sorry, I use 2 screens.
    Maybe try running everything through gpu?

Thanks for the thoughts. I've tried running them all through the gpu, but I couldn't get the screens to go to the right places on that either. I found that if I do it this way, that VPX works great. FP works great as well with this setup. The problem is that the settings that work for VPX don't work with FP, and vice versa.

#1907 6 years ago
    Quoted from maffewl:

I've tried running them all through the gpu

I run all three through the GPU. I use the playfield as screen 1, the backglass as screen 2 and my "DMD" as screen 3. You have to lay them out in that order in the Windows Screen Resolution panel and line them at the top, left to right. That's how I got this to work for VP9/VPX using PinballX as my front end. I don't use FP so I can't help you with that unfortunately.

2 weeks later
    #1908 6 years ago

Hey all. After a long hiatus due to life getting in the way, I'm back in the process of building a digital pinball machine. One of the driving forces for moving forward now is that I am able to use it as part of a school project effort. For those who are familiar, I'm attempting to use the Waterfall SDLC (System Development Life-Cycle) methodology. It's somewhat of a forced effort as that is mainly used in software development, but I'm trying to make it fit. For those not familiar, no worries, I can still use your guidance.

Ok, to the semi-weird question at hand - As many of you have created/are creating a digital pinball machine, can you give me some idea of requirements that you have/had for your system? (Note that this is "what" you want the digital pinball machine to do, not "how" it does it - and this is NOT referring to the hardware specs of the computer). I.e., when you were building your machine, "what" technological requirements did you have? I've posted some examples below.

- Front-end Software - System should show all tables available
    - Front-end Software - System should show name of highlighted table
    - Front-end Software - System should hide all OS functions
    - Playfield Monitor - System should have no flipper lag
    - Playfield Monitor - System should render in 1080p resolution at 60fps
    - Graphics Card - Graphics card should deliver 1080p resoulution at 60fps
    - etc.

Any and all thoughts are much appreciated!
    (Note that I also posted this on VPforums to try to gain as many responses as possible)

#1909 6 years ago

My modest setup, with a Philips Virtual Pinball controller!

20180311_123520 (resized).jpg20180311_123520 (resized).jpg

#1910 6 years ago
    Quoted from G-Bee:

My modest setup, with a Philips Virtual Pinball controller!

Plan on a cab or stand in the future?

I'm envisioning a "picture frame" that also serves as your pinball fun.

#1911 6 years ago

Get a login on this site and check out all the vpin cab ideas. Its the most comprehensive site for building a cab.
    http://hyperspin-fe.com/forums/forum/15-hyperpin-cabinet-forum/

Quoted from maffewl:

Hey all. After a long hiatus due to life getting in the way, I'm back in the process of building a digital pinball machine. One of the driving forces for moving forward now is that I am able to use it as part of a school project effort. For those who are familiar, I'm attempting to use the Waterfall SDLC (System Development Life-Cycle) methodology. It's somewhat of a forced effort as that is mainly used in software development, but I'm trying to make it fit. For those not familiar, no worries, I can still use your guidance.
    Ok, to the semi-weird question at hand - As many of you have created/are creating a digital pinball machine, can you give me some idea of requirements that you have/had for your system? (Note that this is "what" you want the digital pinball machine to do, not "how" it does it - and this is NOT referring to the hardware specs of the computer). I.e., when you were building your machine, "what" technological requirements did you have? I've posted some examples below.
    - Front-end Software - System should show all tables available
    - Front-end Software - System should show name of highlighted table
    - Front-end Software - System should hide all OS functions
    - Playfield Monitor - System should have no flipper lag
    - Playfield Monitor - System should render in 1080p resolution at 60fps
    - Graphics Card - Graphics card should deliver 1080p resoulution at 60fps
    - etc.
    Any and all thoughts are much appreciated!
    (Note that I also posted this on VPforums to try to gain as many responses as possible)

#1912 6 years ago

I wanna do a complete overhaul on my cab. I didnt build it. so know nothing about putting it together. i wanna put in 4k Tvs upgrade video cards. looking for someone in the North Dakota area that wanna take this project on. Will pay you for all work done.Thanks

#1913 6 years ago
    Quoted from RonSS:

Plan on a cab or stand in the future?
    I'm envisioning a "picture frame" that also serves as your pinball fun.

That picture frame idea sounds good! Might go ahead and try that

Making a full cab would be very nice, but I don't see myself doing it any time soon.. That's why I picked up the Philips controller for $25. Makes a world of difference compared to using a keyboard.

1 week later
    #1914 6 years ago
    Quoted from luvthatapex2:

Get a login on this site and check out all the vpin cab ideas. Its the most comprehensive site for building a cab.
    http://hyperspin-fe.com/forums/forum/15-hyperpin-cabinet-forum/

Too bad there have only been 3 total new posts there in the past year, and all three in the same posts, and 2 of those three are from the original poster just letting people know that he is still printing graphics for cabinets. I am sure that there is a lot of information out there, but other sites like www.vpforums.org/index.php?showforum=29 are more up to date, or better yet, hit up one of the many Facebook groups about it. Those groups seem to be the most up to date and active of anything.

#1915 6 years ago
    Quoted from nickbuol:

Too bad there have only been 3 total new posts there in the past year, and all three in the same posts, and 2 of those three are from the original poster just letting people know that he is still printing graphics for cabinets. I am sure that there is a lot of information out there, but other sites like http://www.vpforums.org/index.php?showforum=29 are more up to date, or better yet, hit up one of the many Facebook groups about it. Those groups seem to be the most up to date and active of anything.

These are the other sites I visit daily to get my virtual pin fix:

http://vpinball.com/
    http://www.monsterbashpincab.com/
    http://vpuniverse.com/

Haven't spent any time on facebook groups.

#1916 6 years ago

I think a lot of guys are opting to use PinballX as the front end now. That may be why you aren't seeing as much traffic on the Hyperspin/Hyperpin forums. But I may be completely off base...

#1917 6 years ago

Does the launch button on the virtual pin work well for the shill shots that need the right amount of force on the shot? Are the plungers on these more trouble than they are worth?

#1918 6 years ago
    Quoted from kaz1961:

Does the launch button on the virtual pin work well for the shill shots that need the right amount of force on the shot? Are the plungers on these more trouble than they are worth?

Some plungers are known to be crap. It really comes down to the controller and how "DIY" you want to go. Pinscape2 is supposed to be really good, the controller and plunger from Zebs Boards is good too. Most of the others are a crap shoot. I've heard horror stories about the VirtuaPin plunger.

Added over 6 years ago:

NOTE: I don't have any personal experience with the plungers, but as stated I've "heard" things, read posts, and done general homework. Not every product is completely good or completely bad. Many happy customers for probably all of the main choices out there. I just offered my opinion based off of what I read while looking into this hobby for several years before making my own cabinet.

#1919 6 years ago

I bought the zebs one for mine and it was well worth it.

#1920 6 years ago

Yep Zebs is the best . mine works great.
    This Virtual Club on Pinside is Great. lets keep it going. Where did Boogies go? he hasnt posted nothing. Hes a pro at Vp and has a kick ass machine

#1921 6 years ago

I haven't checked this club out recently but apparently the new GB LE VP table was released along with some other nice VPX. I don't have my pin anymore but I kind of miss updating it constantly with better versions.

#1922 6 years ago
    Quoted from delt31:

I haven't checked this club out recently but apparently the new GB LE VP table was released along with some other nice VPX. I don't have my pin anymore but I kind of miss updating it constantly with better versions.

Haha I'm thinking of selling mine, my wife says "really what are you going to do for hours a night if you are not updating" I said easy play more pinball, and golf season is coming soon

#1923 6 years ago

Does anyone know how I can take a screenshot of the PinballX front-end software? Every time I try I get the backglass and DMD, but the playfield/selection screen is black. Note that I want an image of the front-end software/selection screen, not the actual game playfield. Any thoughts?

#1924 6 years ago

Seems like all I do is spend alot of time updating Tables Or software then I actually do playing any pinball games. Would be nice if the software was all one file with the rom,table and backglass to run. instead searching for everything.

#1925 5 years ago
    Quoted from maffewl:

Does anyone know how I can take a screenshot of the PinballX front-end software? Every time I try I get the backglass and DMD, but the playfield/selection screen is black. Note that I want an image of the front-end software/selection screen, not the actual game playfield. Any thoughts?

Um, use your phone camera?

Sounds like you are trying "print screen " or similar. How about snipping tool?

#1926 5 years ago
    Quoted from RonSS:

Um, use your phone camera?
    Sounds like you are trying "print screen " or similar. How about snipping tool?

I’d like it to be a screenshot and not a photo of my screen. I am using a screen/workspace capture software. I had the same issue with Future Pinball and starting the task manager and bringing the task to the front fixed it. But I can’t seem to do that with PinballX. This is for a presentation so a photo of my television isn’t preferred. Regarding the snipping tool, I’m not sure how to bring it up. I have a 3 screen setup and PinballX comes to front and doesn’t allow me to get to any other program. Any thoughts or other ideas?

#1927 5 years ago

Could you possibly send your image/output to another running computer somehow? I have no idea how this would be done, just brainstorming.

Maybe play with the pinball code a little to allow access to other programs? Is there a setting for multi-windows or something similar?

#1928 5 years ago

This is off the top of my head and I can confirm this later tonight. Start the snipping tool then start PinballX. Alt-tab to the snipping tool with the keyboard and do a new capture. Grab what you like. I do something along these lines so I can grab stills of my playfields because I don't use video previews in PinballX (runs smoother and faster with static images).

You might have to move the snipping tool to one of your other screens rather than leaving it on your playfield screen.

I run 3 screens as well. I will try to remember to test this out when I get home and see if I can make it work.

#1929 5 years ago
    Quoted from gregh43:

Seems like all I do is spend alot of time updating Tables Or software then I actually do playing any pinball games. Would be nice if the software was all one file with the rom,table and backglass to run. instead searching for everything.

I think updating tables on a virtual pin is like working on your physical pins. Sometimes I'm in the mood to add/tweak tables and find that as much fun as playing. Just like sometimes fixing/cleaning my real pins is just as much fun as playing them. Oh, and there was a beta site that was going to have the all in one that the Pinball X people were working on. Not sure how far they got with that.

#1930 5 years ago
    Quoted from gregh43:

Where did Boogies go?

I've been lurking since I traded off my last build. I've been having the itch to rebuild, but haven't started yet (kinda still debating). With the newer Spike systems being started, it might make a little more sense to have an LCD instead of an RGB DMD. Anyways, I have been working on something a little different - I"ll update once it's closer to finished.

#1931 5 years ago

Thanks Boogies! Great hearing from You. Can't wait too see your project. Good Point about the LCD. I wish I would have put a LCD in mine instead of Dmd. with the Color Roms available on some of the tables. looks cool in color. Spike isnt available yet. but Hope someone masters it. I like the Aerosmith pinball. would great to play someday on VP.

#1932 5 years ago

GB was an exception because of FS having brought it to TPA.
    My suggestion is that because of the "semi"-Ghostbusters (partially fantasy theme) license it was easier to get all involved parties to sign a contract in that direction. With all that newer Sterns having much more complicated Licensing and contract, actors, publishers etc being involved I doubt that the newer stern tables will be available anytime soon.

Altough i sell those RGB DMDs, I'm sometimes struggling with myself, regarding all that colorful beauty of a pin2dmd

#1933 5 years ago

This table is fantastic! Visual pinball has really come a long way. Plays just like the real thing.

20180324_151406 (resized).jpg20180324_151406 (resized).jpg

#1934 5 years ago
    Quoted from Crile1:

This table is fantastic! Visual pinball has really come a long way. Plays just like the real thing.

Did you know (if you have the B2S backglass) you can put that also on Advanced and get another backglass ? So impressive all in all.

#1935 5 years ago
    Quoted from Crile1:

489328fd-fbbc-40ed-aaf2-b5b02c8356bf_text_hi.gif489328fd-fbbc-40ed-aaf2-b5b02c8356bf_text_hi.gif

#1937 5 years ago

No in the "club" yet, doing research to start a build of my own one day. But I did help a buddy out by cutting a widebody lockdown bar down to size and smoothing it out to fit his virtual machine.

IMG_4611 (resized).JPGIMG_4611 (resized).JPG
    IMG_4676 (resized).JPGIMG_4676 (resized).JPG

#1938 5 years ago

Thanks Borg for the Link.. I knew it was there. iam not a member on that site. are all those great tables MonsterBash Exclusives or do they share on the other sites? I read that GB is some work to install it. would be complicated for me haha.

#1939 5 years ago
    Quoted from gregh43:

Thanks Borg for the Link.. I knew it was there. iam not a member on that site. are all those great tables MonsterBash Exclusives or do they share on the other sites? I read that GB is some work to install it. would be complicated for me haha.

The tables are exclusive for the site since most uploaders don't want to post on several different sites, maintaining them is a lot of work and they spend it on table creation

If you read the install instructions it will work easily...

#1940 5 years ago

Thanks Rappelbox for your Insight

#1942 5 years ago
    Quoted from gregh43:

It took me 5 mins to download and get up and running. You will have to download Stern Pinball Arcade via steam beforehand because you need a few files from there to patch.

#1943 5 years ago
    Quoted from maffewl:

I must be missing something. I don't see the download link.
    http://www.monsterbashpincab.com/forums/topic/ghostbusters-le-vpx/

The UI is not terribly intuitive as far as I'm concerned. Think "image maps", hover over the playfield on the pinball machine and that is the link for the table. Read the directions for everything else you need to aquire on your own... like mentioned above you need two files from the Steam version of Pinball Arcade

#1944 5 years ago
    Quoted from roar:

The UI is not terribly intuitive as far as I'm concerned. Think "image maps", hover over the playfield on the pinball machine and that is the link for the table. Read the directions for everything else you need to aquire on your own... like mentioned above you need two files from the Steam version of Pinball Arcade

I appreciate the comment. I must have restricted access or something. I'm not seeing any pinball machine playfield, download, etc. I guess I'll just pass on this.

#1945 5 years ago

Not sure why I didn’t just link you directly to the download page last time...

http://www.monsterbashpincab.com/ghostbusters-le/

You do need an account and have to be logged in if you’re not.

#1946 5 years ago
    Quoted from roar:

Not sure why I didn’t just link you directly to the download page last time...
    http://www.monsterbashpincab.com/ghostbusters-le/
    You do need an account and have to be logged in if you’re not.

Thanks, still nothing. Just says the name at the top. I'm logged in. I don't want to derail the thread, so I'll pass. Shame though cause I love GB and it looks awesome.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#1947 5 years ago

MWong168 you mentioned you need to download the Stern pinball arcade off of Steam.do you need to pay the fee to download it? is there a link for GB where all the files are ready to go. where u dont have to download and configure differnt files to play it? Thanks

#1948 5 years ago
    Quoted from maffewl:

Thanks, still nothing. Just says the name at the top. I'm logged in. I don't want to derail the thread, so I'll pass. Shame though cause I love GB and it looks awesome.

Whoa... that's really weird... like your account isn't activated or something. This game is worth the effort of playing. Drop me a PM.

Quoted from gregh43:

MWong168 you mentioned you need to download the Stern pinball arcade off of Steam.do you need to pay the fee to download it? is there a link for GB where all the files are ready to go. where u dont have to download and configure differnt files to play it? Thanks

You don't need to pay for the game, the files are all included in the Steam download. Check the thread out at the forum, it says in there that once you grab the two files you need you can even uninstall The Pinball Arcade from your system. There are no links to all the files in one place, like anything else in the VP hobby it isn't plug and play type easy, you have to do a little work and a little reading.

#1949 5 years ago
    Quoted from gregh43:

You just need to download Stern Pinball Arcade via Steam. Once it is downloaded go to your steam installer folder and you should see a folder called Stern Pinball Arcade. Inside there will be the file SternGB.dll and the other required file is in the subfolder Resource called TGhostBustersStern.rez. You do not have to purchase the actual game and the trail version comes with these two files. Unfortunately I don't think anyone in the VP community is going to make these two files readily available in a nice package but if you read the install instructions it will take you no more than a few minutes to get GBLE on VPX up and running. They just did another update to the table this morning and added some new options you can enable/disable, tweaked the ball physics a bit and few other things.

#1950 5 years ago
    Quoted from mwong168:

Unfortunately I don't think anyone in the VP community is going to make these two files readily available in a nice package

Probably not, because it's highly illegal to do so.

There are 3,975 posts in this topic. You are on page 39 of 80.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/virtual-pinball-club/page/39 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.