Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 3,991 posts
  • 352 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 days ago by Mr_Outlane
  • Topic is favorited by 271 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

TFTC FlyerA (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    IMG_0466 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0465 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0464 (resized).JPG
    Top10pro (resized).png
    Top10pro (resized).png
    20240129_125402.png
    Fireballxl5 (resized).png
    2023-12-31 19.32.48 (resized).jpg
    2023-11-17 22.19.51 (resized).jpg
    2023-11-11 03.07.25 (resized).jpg
    2023-11-11 01.58.53 (resized).jpg
    poster2 (resized).png
    411392839_735139934899280_8496203559983449797_n (resized).jpg
    There are 3,991 posts in this topic. You are on page 37 of 80.
    #1801 6 years ago

Mudflaps Have you tried Pinball X V10.2 . ?
    Theres alot of great VpX tables out. my fave
    is the Stern KISS. Or Star Trek Next Generation. I guess iam not critical on physics parts of the tables. I just enjoy loading tables up that I never played in the arcade.

#1802 6 years ago
    Quoted from gregh43:

Mudflaps Have you tried Pinball X V10.2 . ?
    Theres alot of great VpX tables out. my fave
    is the Stern KISS. Or Star Trek Next Generation. I guess iam not critical on physics parts of the tables. I just enjoy loading tables up that I never played in the arcade.

I'll have to try those. Since I own Kiss it will be a good method of comparison.

#1803 6 years ago

sounds Great!
    you can find those tables here

http://vpinball.com

#1804 6 years ago

guys - about to get an LE/Wizard vp cab. Can those lights that go off in the back (5 or so) can you make them darker and brighter? If not, can you replace the bulbs themselves?

#1805 6 years ago

Yes. Change the input voltage or resistor to reduce current draw

#1806 6 years ago

They are LED flashers and controlled with a script when the table is running. Not sure how Brad has them configured but its possible to dim them if they are too bright through the script.

Quoted from delt31:

guys - about to get an LE/Wizard vp cab. Can those lights that go off in the back (5 or so) can you make them darker and brighter? If not, can you replace the bulbs themselves?

#1807 6 years ago

OK thanks. Also for the DMD screen itself - it's a color dmd but some of the games I've seen display it in the normal red. To get color on the DMD for these games, do I need to update that myself or do i just download a file to make it color. Ex - TOM

#1808 6 years ago

It's an LCD monitor and some of the games recently were 'colorized' by hobbyists. You need a dll that you can download from one of the VP sites. I don't have a link handy but search for pindmd and color on VPUniverse or VPinball
    Also, for any DMD game you can choose a single color if it hasn't been colorized, so you could have the Simpsons display in yellow for example.

Quoted from delt31:

OK thanks. Also for the DMD screen itself - it's a color dmd but some of the games I've seen display it in the normal red. To get color on the DMD for these games, do I need to update that myself or do i just download a file to make it color. Ex - TOM

#1809 6 years ago

Great - thanks!!

#1810 6 years ago

One other question - the vp cab comes with a real plunger and a plunger button. I hate using the button for games that have a real plunger in real life. Example - the machine is currently configured to use the "button" plunger in twilight zone (hold enables a stronger plunger). Am I able to configure this within the TZ table itself so my vp cab uses the plunger and NOT the button? The real plunger on the machine works.

#1811 6 years ago

New owner - impressed with how it does simulate a real pinball feel especially with feedback and shaker. Have a vpcab LE/Wizard btw,
    2 Questions:
    1) The nudge def works but it needs to be made easier to do (want more sensitivity out of it). How do I do that?
    2) Not sure if this is normal but after I select the game and it starts, if the volume is loud I can hear distortion or that crackling sound kick on right when the DMD loads up. If I start the game I can't really notice but I kind of know it's there. I'm thinking there is contact being made somewhere to cause the hiss nose. Try to fiddle around but don't want to mess up as it's playing well....

EDIT - did some more research and when I actual click the DMD area with mouse it stops the sound but the game stops too. Its as if the translite or something is also playing in that DMD panel but underneath it and it might be causing that hiss. Again might be normal bc I dont hear it too much when playing....not sure as I'm new to this.

#1812 6 years ago

I have an older VPcab LE and have a different LCD monitor but I have never experienced distortion or crackling, delt31. Brad is an audiophile and puts decent audio components in his system and IMHO better than in most real pinball machines. I am sure if you opened a ticket that someone on his team would help.

Congrats on your new Wizard!

#1813 6 years ago

Make sure the volume setting isn't too high in the actual table. This will cause distortion. Set it two notches below full.

http://www.vpforums.org/index.php?showtopic=5220

#1814 6 years ago

Old dragon I might have the same as you. It's le from 2015. Here is a pic of the DMD. You see how beneath it is almost the Addams family backglass? See bottom of the pic. Is that correct as I think it had something to do with the DMD why the volume at Max causing this noise.

20170506_142550 (resized).jpg20170506_142550 (resized).jpg

I also want to make the DMD blue not orange... How do you do that?

Edit by pressing f12 I was able to reset volume from 0 to -32. When I pressed it the sound goes away (just being in the vpinmame volume box). Once I change value (any value) same thing the box goes away and that noise re appears....

EDIT 2 So I moved the dmd pic out of it's space and it seems an animated backglass is playing where the DMD goes. Whenever I click on the DMD the noise goes away....

20170506_145413 (resized).jpg20170506_145413 (resized).jpg

#1815 6 years ago

Here is a video of the sound. When I click on the DMD the sound stopped temporarily and then goes back on once I click back to the table to play

#1816 6 years ago
    Quoted from delt31:

Here is a video of the sound. When I click on the DMD the sound stopped temporarily and then goes back on once I click back to the table to play
    » YouTube video

EDIT - upon further testing it's not DMD related. The noise stops when I click off of the table PF. Once I click back to the PF and the action starts that noise is made. can someone on their machine crank the volume to max before a game starts (no music) to see if they can hear it? You cant really when the game starts

EDIT 2 - animated backglass is currently on the same screen as my DMD. How do I get that to go on my backglass screen when using VP? Right now my backglass is showing the backglass used during pinball X. Looking into it further seems like screenres.txt needs to be adjusted in tables folder...

EDIT 3 - I'm keeping a trail here so newbies like me can learn from my experience.....I was able to fix it (make my DMD setup right and animated background on backglass) by editing the screenres.txt. Important to make that read only as my pinball x was changing it after I loaded the game as there is a setting in Pinx that was on auto. I could have changed that too to no but decided to do both (auto to no and read only on the file)! Made a backup too!

Now I just need to figure out that sound. Think it's coming from cables potentially. It's not even that bad when the game runs though so maybe it is normal.

#1817 6 years ago

If anyone is in the Atlanta area and looking for a virtual pincab, I'm selling mine, $1750 obo: atlanta.craigslist.org link

Custom build, not quite full size (standard width, but built to the length of the playfield screen, smaller backbox), and not as nicely finished as a commercial VPCab or similar, but it is fully setup and ready to go with VPX and the best tables, force feedback, analog nudge, etc, for a fraction of the cost of a commercial unit...

#1818 6 years ago
    Quoted from PinKopf:

If anyone is in the Atlanta area and looking for a virtual pincab, I'm selling mine, $1750 obo: atlanta.craigslist.org link
    Custom build, not quite full size (standard width, but built to the length of the playfield screen, smaller backbox), and not as nicely finished as a commercial VPCab or similar, but it is fully setup and ready to go with VPX and the best tables, force feedback, analog nudge, etc, for a fraction of the cost of a commercial unit...

If this lasts longer than a day, I will be very disappointed. This is a fantastic deal on a nice looking unit. I think you are at a 50% discount of where this game belongs. Great Deal!

#1819 6 years ago

Here is my work in progress. I'm running Pinball X. So far it's been a ton of fun. I need to get more recent pictures but I've added a brand new stern coin door and black power coated rails, and I've integrated the coin door coin return buttons to both add credits and to exit the current game . Boy that was a fun project. Back Glass is a 32 inch Sharp HDTV and the play field is a 40 inch HDTV. The Cabinet is a Stern Monopoly that was donated to me by the coolest ever drjbeyer (Seriously can't thank this guy enough). Let me know what you guys think.

20170505_084714 (resized).jpg20170505_084714 (resized).jpg

20170505_084724 (resized).jpg20170505_084724 (resized).jpg

20170505_084733 (resized).jpg20170505_084733 (resized).jpg

#1820 6 years ago

PInKopf nice virtual. do you have a video of it in action? would you Ship?

#1821 6 years ago

So I had a lock up occur mid game that required me to manually reboot system. When I went to turn back on it booted up but no picture anywhere.... Said no signal. I checked GPU and hard drive on my own PC and they are fine. I thought the cmos needed to be reset so removed the battery with power off and went to boot up and this time I don't have any power!

Any thoughts here? There are two power supplies in this can. One closest to the door allows the thing to boot up by pressing button underneath. The other psu is connected to mobo. If I drain the power out by holding power in while it's unplugged and then put the plug back into the wall I can see the PSU send power for 5 seconds to the main board and then it stops.

I've already reached out to VP cabs who have been great this far but thought I would ask here as well.

#1822 6 years ago

Sounds like a failure in the power supply going to the motherboard. Can you try another PS from a PC? This can also be a MB failure in my experience.

#1823 6 years ago

just did the pin method on the psu connected to computer and it works great. Not sure i can get to the one inside the unit but will try.

#1824 6 years ago

Wait for Brad to get back to you. He knows the hardware he chose and how it's configured. You shouldn't have to take the unit apart and perform tests that's just asking for trouble.

Quoted from delt31:

So I had a lock up occur mid game that required me to manually reboot system. When I went to turn back on it booted up but no picture anywhere.... Said no signal. I checked GPU and hard drive on my own PC and they are fine. I thought the cmos needed to be reset so removed the battery with power off and went to boot up and this time I don't have any power!
    Any thoughts here? There are two power supplies in this can. One closest to the door allows the thing to boot up by pressing button underneath. The other psu is connected to mobo. If I drain the power out by holding power in while it's unplugged and then put the plug back into the wall I can see the PSU send power for 5 seconds to the main board and then it stops.
    I've already reached out to VP cabs who have been great this far but thought I would ask here as well.

#1825 6 years ago

OK. I actually got the power back on! Back to booting up and into "no signal" on the screens.

EDIT - fixed it myself. Had to reset CMOS by jumping. All is good! plays perfectly

2 months later
    #1826 6 years ago

selling the new vp mini for 1800 now - it's no longer new as i brought it to pintastic and somebody had it running - i saw somebody playing it - then when it was shut off it never went back on - anyway just 1800 now. thanks ed

#1827 6 years ago

game is on hold while somebody is looking into shipping quotes - thanks ed

#1828 6 years ago

Finally decided to try to set up something resembling a virtual pinball existence on an unused computer. I've set up MAME, other various emulators, modded Xboxes, a modded Wii U, custom firmware on PS3's, a Vita, PSP...a lot of different setups that I figured would be a decent bit of experience to get this working. What a mess of "complicated for the sake of being complicated" this endeavor has been. Several hours in and all I get is the VPX program opening to what looks like a whiteboard with diagram lines whenever I try to run a table. I'm pretty sure it's because my suchandsuch file isn't linked up to the script which talks to the dedicated .qrt extension running the palette diagram--just a matter of sorting it all out. At least the tutorials are better written than the Wii U stuff.

Thankfully, I'm also now signed up to about five additional virtual pinball forums which each hide one supposedly necessary file behind their registration wall.

#1829 6 years ago
    Quoted from Agent_Hero:

Finally decided to try to set up something resembling a virtual pinball existence on an unused computer. I've set up MAME, other various emulators, modded Xboxes, a modded Wii U, custom firmware on PS3's, a Vita, PSP...a lot of different setups that I figured would be a decent bit of experience to get this working. What a mess of "complicated for the sake of being complicated" this endeavor has been. Several hours in and all I get is the VPX program opening to what looks like a whiteboard with diagram lines whenever I try to run a table. I'm pretty sure it's because my suchandsuch file isn't linked up to the script which talks to the dedicated .qrt extension running the palette diagram--just a matter of sorting it all out. At least the tutorials are better written than the Wii U stuff.
    Thankfully, I'm also now signed up to about five additional virtual pinball forums which each hide one supposedly necessary file behind their registration wall.

Nowadays there is the full installer file for VPX. I just tried it on my desktop PC which did not have anything VPX related yet on it and it is running fine just after the one click install. Maybe try that ?? Here is the link for the installer I just used:

http://www.vpforums.org/index.php?app=downloads&showfile=11573

edit: when you get the "diagram" lines you call them, try pressing F5 to play the table.

1 week later
    #1830 6 years ago

thought I would report back after spending a ton of time on my virtual (VP Cabs Wizard with Feeback). Everything is perfect now - sound, speed, etc. I even upgraded the gfx and VPX games are coming out almost every day and play really well. Great time to own a VP!

#1831 6 years ago

I have a 40 inch 1080p lcd just itching to be made into a pinball table!

I've tried, but have had limited success. I think it's time I revisit this project.

1 week later
    #1832 6 years ago

So tomorrow I'm looking into an i7 (3.2GHz I think ), 16GB, 256 SSD almost computer from Craigslist.

I'll need a psu, thinking 500w, and a gfx card - gtx 1060, and an OS (windows 10 I'm guessing ).

Any thoughts on my choices?

I was originally going to go for an HP elite 8300 with i5 and 8GB ram, then throw in a gtx 1050 ti. That rig would run me around $500. However, as i understand it, the motherboard and psu are proptietary, so I'm stuck with about 320W.

The i7 with my needed items should run me around $650.

$150 isn't chump change to me, but I'd also rather not invest $500 and get "meh" results.

Am going completely overboard or will I appreciate the upgrade?

#1833 6 years ago

You will be okay with I5 8GB Ram and the 1050Ti, problem is the power supply, I run 2 x 500w in my cabinet

I think for the extra $150 you will be happier with the results, if not now then in the future. Tables are getting bigger and bigger, and need more processing power.

#1834 6 years ago

That was my thinking as well. Rather spend a little more now and be happier longer.

Thanks.

#1835 6 years ago

That is plenty of power for VP... like plenty! I run a 960 video card on an i5 with no issues and I know others run with less than that without issue too. You will be in good shape with those specs.

#1836 6 years ago

Can you run full specs with yours or do things need to be dialed down? I did the math wrong, the i5 would run me around $400, so now there's more incentive to be picky

#1837 6 years ago

You need an i5 or better to run the latest tables. i3 just doesn't cut it.

Here is my configuration for comparision. I am running a 3 screen pin2k style cabinet.
    processor: i5-4590 @3.3ghz
    motherboard - gigabyte
    ram - 4gb
    windows 7 64 bit
    nVidia GTX 750Ti
    5 flasher array
    650watt power supply
    120gb SSD drive
    backbox 27inch screen, 15 inch reflecting screen, 37 inch vizio in game mode for playfield.
    All 4 ACDC recently released tables run at 200fps on my rig, other tables run faster than that. You need at least 100fps or you will have lag/missing features. The most important hardware is the processor (i5 or better cpu) and the video card (nVidia GTX 750ti or better).

Quoted from RonSS:

Can you run full specs with yours or do things need to be dialed down? I did the math wrong, the i5 would run me around $400, so now there's more incentive to be picky

#1838 6 years ago

Pinball FX3 is coming soon, and will fully support DirectX11. It promises to be super cool!

#1839 6 years ago

When i said "okay" i meant it as that will work perfect, not just a meh okay.

I agree that an I5 will work, i find it comes down to a graphics card. For my 750ti i can't run the 4x Anti alias without getting ball stutter. If i leave the 4xAA off my machine plays everything perfectly. I have an I5 8GB ram and the 750ti

#1840 6 years ago

I'm not dialing anything down. I do run in full screen with the Vsync set to 1 to get the smoothest peformance but I'm quite happy with it. I'm not sure if you'd need a beefier video card if you are planning on a 4K screen or not.

I've played the Pinball FX3 beta and it looks good on my backglass monitor, but with no cabinet support in the beta (yet?) I'm relegated to running it on the backglass so I can't fully judge how well it is playing yet.

#1841 6 years ago

I am OK with the computer, software, audio, and TV (and monitor for back glass). But I have a few questions:

1. I am going with plasma (over LCD) for the PF monitor/TV to get good black to make the colors more vibrant - and to increase the shadow look of the dark areas of the PF. Plasma will be the way to go there. But what size TV would be used for a standard size cabinet?
    2. Where can I get an unpainted pinball cabinet that I can start a VP project? Do I need to build it myself?
    3. For the back glass it looks like the right way to go is with 4:3 format monitor (instead of 16:9 format of most 1080 monitor resolutions). The issue is that a 4:3 HD monitor is hard to come by. So what do you guys use to prevent image stretching for the backglass image? Do you center it?
    4. For the DMD - do you use an actual LCD DMD for that?

Thanks!

#1842 6 years ago

1. I've heard plasmas don't like lying on their back, too much heat. I fit a 42" (well 41.5 actually) in a standard cab and it required routing out quite a bit of the sides to fit it.

2. you can build, a couple places sell flatpack kits, but much cheaper to build if you have the tools and skills.

3. 4:3 would be nice if you can find one big enough which I think is why most do 16:9. A few people have done a big 16:9 vertically with some of it hidden in the cab or out the top of the backbox for a virtual topper.

4. lots of options on dmd, you can use a small monitor, or if doing the big vertical back glass display can just use that, or you can use a real dmd.

#1843 6 years ago

What are the best latest releases (tables)

#1845 6 years ago

Hi guys.
    I am building a VP, have no problem running vpx williams tabels, but in stern tabels im missing GI light. Everything else works fine. Has anyone tryed that?

IMG_1264 (resized).JPGIMG_1264 (resized).JPG

#1846 6 years ago
    Quoted from Chosen_S:

What are the best latest releases (tables)

Lots of great stuff coming out these days... New versions of Monster Bash and Medevial Madness as well as new VPX versions of Indiana Jones and WCS94. There are just a bunch of great games out there... The Metallica LE and Spider-Man VE are great and have colour roms as well as a fantastic AC/DC with a colour rom too. If you are looking for some older games there is a really great Fathom too... no colour rom there .

#1847 6 years ago
    Quoted from DEN:

Hi guys.
    I am building a VP, have no problem running vpx williams tabels, but in stern tabels im missing GI light. Everything else works fine. Has anyone tryed that?

Are you running the latest vpinmame? Check in over at vpuniverse or vpinball.com for more support.

#1848 6 years ago

How doo you install the mail screen? Alittle tilt or straight inline with the glass?
    Any pics?

#1849 6 years ago
    Quoted from DEN:

How doo you install the mail screen? Alittle tilt or straight inline with the glass?
    Any pics?

People do it both ways, personal preference. I prefer the look of it parallel to the ground, no slant to it.

#1850 6 years ago

OK, picked up a Dell 3010 Tower today. i5 - 3330 with a 450W psu upgrade. Has the Win10 upgrade from Win7.

It is a different machine than the other two I posted, however, as is, this thing was under $100, so it won.

I'll try running with the integrated graphics but I'm guessing a 1050 Ti or 1060 would provide better results.

Looking forward to running some tables!

There are 3,991 posts in this topic. You are on page 37 of 80.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/virtual-pinball-club/page/37 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.