Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 3,991 posts
  • 352 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 days ago by Mr_Outlane
  • Topic is favorited by 271 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

TFTC FlyerA (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    IMG_0466 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0465 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0464 (resized).JPG
    Top10pro (resized).png
    Top10pro (resized).png
    20240129_125402.png
    Fireballxl5 (resized).png
    2023-12-31 19.32.48 (resized).jpg
    2023-11-17 22.19.51 (resized).jpg
    2023-11-11 03.07.25 (resized).jpg
    2023-11-11 01.58.53 (resized).jpg
    poster2 (resized).png
    411392839_735139934899280_8496203559983449797_n (resized).jpg
    There are 3,991 posts in this topic. You are on page 33 of 80.
    #1601 7 years ago

I loaded family Guy, what a good looking table! But I had to cut it short to watch the debate. I'm going to try the patch and load Shrek tomorrow. Yeah it wouldn't be the admin thing if your other tables are working fine.

#1602 7 years ago

Reposting vpcabs owners: I have a wizard and really enjoying it. But sometimes it'll crash out during a pinball game. Both vp9 and vp10 have done it. It just returns to the Pinballx menu. And when I exit back to Windows there's a dialogue box that Pinballx had an error.
    Any owners have anything similar occur?

#1603 7 years ago

Regarding emailing Zen for the Cabinet support, here is the page you can make that request: https://blog.zenstudios.com/?page_id=5981

Unfortunately they broke what was working just fine before... and I stumbled on the post regarding the request, so thought I'd pass along the link. I setup the custom backglass images for Zen, that was simple but should be included in the build. I've purcahsed all the tables, but prefer Visual Pinball over Pinball FX2, any day.

I built my cabinet for less that $450 with parts I had laying around:

1. 55" 120hz TV - $0
    2. Old Computer - $0
    3. Wide body "Flight 2000" - $200
    4. Flippers and plunger via Zebs- $150
    5. Upgraded Video card - $200
    6. old computer monitor for backglass - $0

#1604 7 years ago

I'm noticing most of the cabinet builds are 47" or smaller. Has anyone built a large cabinet, say 55" or larger like mine? I used a wide body cabinet, and didn't bother to remove the bezel, so it sits on top of the cabinet, and the size appears to be 100% exact to an original game.

I'm curious why people are building small ones, and also if anyone has built one using a 4k TV larger than 50"? I'm right at the edge of my wide body, so it seems this may be as wide as I can go without building a custom cabinet.

virtual.jpgvirtual.jpg

#1605 7 years ago

To fit that 55 ina wide body, you will have to router out the tv's profile of the cabinet walls and then use the side rails to trim it in. I like using a 39 in a standard body. with that 55, the ball must look like a baseball.

#1606 7 years ago

I think with a 55" you probably have close to the right length, but the proportions are still a little wide even for a wide body, but if you can squeeze that bad boy down in there that would be pretty awesome. I managed to squeeze a 41.5" in a standard body, but just barely, and made the overall cabinet 4" shorter than a regular cab.

#1607 7 years ago

I measured the ball and it was exactly the same size as a real one. Same with the playfield, it's 100% exact.

I don't see the need to make it flush, this way if I want the TV elsewhere, I can use it in less than one minute, just two wires.

#1608 7 years ago
    Quoted from scheiny:

I'm noticing most of the cabinet builds are 47" or smaller. Has anyone built a large cabinet, say 55" or larger like mine? I used a wide body cabinet, and didn't bother to remove the bezel, so it sits on top of the cabinet, and the size appears to be 100% exact to an original game.
    I'm curious why people are building small ones, and also if anyone has built one using a 4k TV larger than 50"? I'm right at the edge of my wide body, so it seems this may be as wide as I can go without building a custom cabinet.

Is this a joke?
    Edit: what I mean is; the cab with the tv sitting on it, and the small monitor in the backbox is laughable. And no you did not spend only $450... You still bought the rest of the stuff at some point

Edit: sorry scheiny, I was really confused by the pic

#1609 7 years ago
    Quoted from Chosen_S:

Is this a joke?
    Edit: what I mean is; the cab with the tv sitting on it, and the small monitor in the backbox is laughable. And no you did not spend only $450... You still bought the rest of the stuff at some point

It's obviously a work in progress. And it looks to be coming along pretty well. Building one of these is not easy. Have you built one? I don't think so, otherwise you wouldn't be so critical. But I would encourage you to give it a shot if you have not. And if you need some help along the way, this is a place to get the help you may need.

#1610 7 years ago
    Quoted from selektor6:

It's obviously a work in progress. And it looks to be coming along pretty well. Building one of these is not easy. Have you built one? I don't think so, otherwise you wouldn't be so critical. But I would encourage you to give it a shot if you have not. And if you need some help along the way, this is a place to get the help you may need.

Not really a wip when he says this

"" I don't see the need to make it flush, this way if I want the TV elsewhere, I can use it in less than one minute, just two wires.""

This is why we don't put bigger tvs in the cabinets, They do not fit. The thing about vp cabs is to make it as real as possible, Not just setting the tv on top of the cabinet and play. I thought it was a joke at first too, But that's not the case here.

#1611 7 years ago

I built mine with a 46 LED TV. I would not go bigger than that. Even decased it makes for a pretty wide cabinet. With the 46" my custom made cab is the same length as my real pinball machines and just a tad wider than a real widebody. the problem with going non standard sizes is you then have to get custom rails and lock down bar made. My recommendation is to go with a real pinball size cab (wide or standard size) and then find parts that will fit it. This way you can use standard parts and save on the headache of customer parts.

#1612 7 years ago
    Quoted from selektor6:

Yes I have built one, from scratch, cab, PC, graphics and all. My apologies to everyone, It just seems like a silly thing to do; place a 55" tv on top of a classic widebody stern... Anyway, I was serious to my question: was it a joke? Or is it a work in progress, or just a mock up of a soon to be nice vp?

Sorry, I have to say this too... I know it's easier to use a gutted cab, it just hurts to see a fun game sacrificed to vp. I saw a video where a radical! Was sacrificed, terrible day.

#1613 7 years ago

I waited to find the perfect candidate cabinet. It was at an antique store and it was an old EM that had no hope. All the switches were rusted shut. And a lot had already been gutted. No backglass. The playfield was barely visible.
    As much work and time as I've put into this, I have realized that the pre-built VP is a pretty good bargain!
    And I also may have been a little harsh in assuming you haven't built one.

#1614 7 years ago

Well, nice little Kumbaya moment we have here Glad we can all get along!

Anyway, I am a real pin owner and have tinkered with the idea of getting into virtual pinball. However, I want the best of both worlds - a realistic look and feel (e.g. real cabinet with all the accessories) while also being budget minded. I am a IT manager by trade and have decades of hands-on experience with computers, software, etc., so I have absolutely no reservation when it comes to that part. I am also fairly handy with electronics and even my woodworking skills are fairly good. Where I am hesitant is that thus far I've not been able to find solid plans for everything. I'm one of those who likes to have everything mapped out and planned before I jump into a project instead of getting neck deep into it then dealing with challenge after challenge, having to rework something because it wasn't properly planned, etc.

Can anyone point me to a resource or resources that covers a good way (I realize there's more than one) from start to finish on building a virtual pin (e.g. cabinet, monitors, computer, buttons, shakers, lights, etc.) I may be approaching this wrong, but I kind of see this as at least two phases: constructing the platform (i.e. building the thing - cabinet & electronics) then "programming" the tables.

I've read just about every post in this form, checked out other sites, etc. but I'm still left with all kinds of questions and not a clear holistic vision/plan of what it takes to successfully execute something I will be proud of and that will be everything I want in a virtual pin. I realize I could just drop $6K or more and buy one from one of the 2 commercial builders, but 1) that is way beyond my budget and 2) where's the fun in that.

#1615 7 years ago
    Quoted from Phod:

Reposting vpcabs owners: I have a wizard and really enjoying it. But sometimes it'll crash out during a pinball game. Both vp9 and vp10 have done it. It just returns to the Pinballx menu. And when I exit back to Windows there's a dialogue box that Pinballx had an error.
    Any owners have anything similar occur?

Occasionally it happens on my Vertigo...Maybe has happened 5 times in the past 6 months. Very rarely

#1616 7 years ago

Get a free account here and start reading....
    http://www.hyperspin-fe.com/forum/15-hyperpin-cabinet-forum/

I built 3 vpins with ideas from this forum (well 'built' means I had donor cabs and did the rest
    Two of the games were WPC widebodies and the last one I built was a pin2k type. I still have the pin2k type, its really fun and a nice accessory to my real pinball machines.

Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

Anyway, I am a real pin owner and have tinkered with the idea of getting into virtual pinball. However, I want the best of both worlds - a realistic look and feel (e.g. real cabinet with all the accessories) while also being budget minded. I am a IT manager by trade and have decades of hands-on experience with computers, software, etc., so I have absolutely no reservation when it comes to that part. I am also fairly handy with electronics and even my woodworking skills are fairly good. Where I am hesitant is that thus far I've not been able to find solid plans for everything. I'm one of those who likes to have everything mapped out and planned before I jump into a project instead of getting neck deep into it then dealing with challenge after challenge, having to rework something because it wasn't properly planned, etc.
    Can anyone point me to a resource or resources that covers a good way (I realize there's more than one) from start to finish on building a virtual pin (e.g. cabinet, monitors, computer, buttons, shakers, lights, etc.) I may be approaching this wrong, but I kind of see this as at least two phases: constructing the platform (i.e. building the thing - cabinet & electronics) then "programming" the tables.
    I've read just about every post in this form, checked out other sites, etc. but I'm still left with all kinds of questions and not a clear holistic vision/plan of what it takes to successfully execute something I will be proud of and that will be everything I want in a virtual pin. I realize I could just drop $6K or more and buy one from one of the 2 commercial builders, but 1) that is way beyond my budget and 2) where's the fun in that.

#1617 7 years ago
    Quoted from dsmoke1986:

Occasionally it happens on my Vertigo...Maybe has happened 5 times in the past 6 months. Very rarely

how are you liking that vertigo? i visited a buddy in cincy a couple weeks back and stopped by to see brad...played a little of the vertigo and it seems really nice.

i love my vpcab...may add a vertigo into the mix at some point in the future.

#1618 7 years ago

http://www.vpforums.org/index.php?showtopic=3569#entry340834

Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

http://www.vpforums.org/index.php?showtopic=3569#entry340834
    Between vp universe and vp forums I've found everything I needed to build mine. But I did not build the cabinet. I started off with a mock-up using a laptop and a second screen. Once I got familiar with the software, I realized I could do this. I was kind of dragging my feet waiting for the opportunity to find the cabinet that I wouldn't feel guilty about taking out of the market completely. I realize I got lucky. My son who is 17 ,would have never looked at me the same had I used ANY pinball machine that could have come back from the dead.
    I then beefed up A PC , put a spare TV in the cabinet and played it like that , meanwhile further familiarizing myself with the different software and downloading all the tables and art.
    Mine has been a slow ,gradual progression. I'm not much of a planner... due to time restraints from work. But it plays great and that's all that matters to me.
    There are a thousand ways to get from point a to point B with Virtual pinball. But if you're into planning, the main consideration would be the Playfield monitor and the cabinet size. I had the cabinet and had to find a TV that would fit. When I de cased the TV it was actually an half an inch too big. So I had to route out the edges of the cabinet which is a pain in the ass. If I have to remove the monitor, I have to remove the side rails to get the damn thing out. Just pay close attention to the monitor size. Software and computer hardware is very flexible.

#1619 7 years ago
    Quoted from scheiny:

I measured the ball and it was exactly the same size as a real one. Same with the playfield, it's 100% exact.
    I don't see the need to make it flush, this way if I want the TV elsewhere, I can use it in less than one minute, just two wires.

I would definitely recommend committing the tv to the cabinet, under the glass.

#1620 7 years ago

I built 4. I don't plan on building another one, but at home, I only have a MAME upright and a virtual pinball machine. http://pinballmd.com/virtual-pins-or-pinball-simulators-build-threads/

#1621 7 years ago

Hello all.

We are moving soon, and I have to sell my V-Pin.

I don't want to make a forum faux pas, and I'm not sure where it would be appropriate to list. On this thread? In the Market Place?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

#1622 7 years ago
    Quoted from mkgort:

I would suggest making an entry here: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/forum/games-for-sale and then possibly posting a link to your sale post in this topic with maybe a single pick of the machine.

#1623 7 years ago
    Quoted from mkgort:

Hello all.
    I don't want to make a forum faux pas, and I'm not sure where it would be appropriate to list. On this thread? In the Market Place?
    Any help is appreciated.
    Thanks!

What did you decide?

#1624 7 years ago

Sorry for the late reply. I was trying to post it in the Market, but it seems it wants you to choose a machine from the list. I didn't see an option for V Pin. In the mean time, someone has contacted me about it and is taking a look this Thursday. If nothing happens, I'll post a link to the Craigslist ad.

Thanks again for the help!

#1625 7 years ago

Hello, not sure if this is where this post should go, but will try here.

Have been a Pinball collector for the last 20 years. Now, I am looking for the BEST, bang for the Buck virtual, that will not disappoint. I know several years ago the Virtual Pin had some drawbacks. Any opinions on what brand/options I should be looking for to be satisfied being a REAL pinball user?

Thanks in advance.

#1626 7 years ago

Curious, for those of you who are using BAM and other methods of 3d virtualization, how are you seamlessly incorporating it into your cabs? I'm currently building a cab, and basing the design on my Pirates of the Caribbean machine (as it is definitely not going anywhere), but don't really know how to get the XBOX Kinect to integrate with the cabinet so it doesn't just look like an add on. I thought about maybe raising a slight piece up at the back of the playfield glass and giving it a plexi face, or maybe incorporating into the backbox. Just checking to see what others have done. Thanks!

#1627 7 years ago
    Quoted from LGM:

Hello, not sure if this is where this post should go, but will try here.
    Have been a Pinball collector for the last 20 years. Now, I am looking for the BEST, bang for the Buck virtual, that will not disappoint. I know several years ago the Virtual Pin had some drawbacks. Any opinions on what brand/options I should be looking for to be satisfied being a REAL pinball user?
    Thanks in advance.

The cheapest option is build one at home...but it is a process that can be complex and very time consuming.
    If your looking to buy a completed one , I would probably do this. https://virtualpinball.com/products/classic?variant=18666804359.
    I built mine , but I probably have 50+ hours into it. And it's not done. It doesn't look nearly as pretty as a professionally made cabinet.
    The answer to your question really depends on your budget, ability to work around computers, time restraints, and how "finished" you want your cab.
    Good luck with it! I'm really impressed with the pre-made ones. Here is a great resource for parts or to buy one outright.http://virtuapin.net/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=1&zenid=565fb966571dba223547086a4ef34ff8.

#1628 7 years ago
    Quoted from maffewl:

Curious, for those of you who are using BAM and other methods of 3d virtualization, how are you seamlessly incorporating it into your cabs? I'm currently building a cab, and basing the design on my Pirates of the Caribbean machine (as it is definitely not going anywhere), but don't really know how to get the XBOX Kinect to integrate with the cabinet so it doesn't just look like an add on. I thought about maybe raising a slight piece up at the back of the playfield glass and giving it a plexi face, or maybe incorporating into the backbox. Just checking to see what others have done. Thanks!

I just plopped my kinect down on the glass.

#1629 7 years ago

Can anyone explain what DOF is on VP Tables?
    Thanks

#1630 7 years ago

DOF allows you to add visual and physical feedback to your virtual pincab. It can control 10 solenoids/contactors under the tv monitor to simulate flipper, slings, bumpers, and kicker noises and feel, supports shaker motor, knocker, external RGB flashers, undercab lighting, strobes, beacons and fans.

#1631 7 years ago

Thanks for the Info. I don't have that in my cab. was reading comments on differnt tables people asking about DOF. I was thinking i was missing out some extra software for VP. Thanks for explaining that.

#1632 7 years ago

Direct Output Framework. It's the best/only? force feedback system.

#1633 7 years ago

DOF is next for me.....I gotta get embryon working first.

#1634 7 years ago

I've got an 8 solenoid setup for force feedback in my cab using DOF, which is basically the bare bones setup. The feedback definitely takes the cab to another level, highly recommend adding it. Not sure what the output limit is, but it's over 64 leds/solenoids/motors, maybe way over...

#1635 7 years ago

Whats a DOF set up cost? Would like it in
    my cab if had somone to install it.

#1636 7 years ago
    Quoted from gregh43:

Whats a DOF set up cost? Would like it in
    my cab if had somone to install it.

That's a loaded question. You could spend as little as a couple hundred all the way up to a couple thousand.

You need a LEDWIZ then you will add what you want to it. Here is a basic list:
    - contactors - generally 8 of them is desired (left and right flippers, left and right slings, left pop, right pop, upper center pop, lower center pop)
    - Replay knocker
    - shaker motor
    - gear motor
    - fan
    - RGB lights (most go with 5) for flashers
    - fan (twister and Whirlwind)

You also need to understand what voltage you want to run each item with which could require multiple power sources and relays. For example I have my contactors running off 24 volts with the shaker on 12 volts.

IMHO - if you are going force feedback the minimum that I would go with would be contactors, replay knocker and RGB lights. Next would be a shaker motor.

#1637 7 years ago

Thanks 85Vett for the info. Didnt realize
    there was alot to DOF. I think i would only
    be interested in the Contactors and replay knocker. my cab now is set up for the DoF install. I have the rgb lighting just need the bulbs and wiring . and cab has a extra power supply. if anyone is my area and wants to install it. name your price.

#1638 7 years ago
    Quoted from pudluther:

how are you liking that vertigo? i visited a buddy in cincy a couple weeks back and stopped by to see brad...played a little of the vertigo and it seems really nice.
    i love my vpcab...may add a vertigo into the mix at some point in the future.

Sorry for the late reply, hadn't been on this thread.

I am loving the vertigo, it is really functional; I've had a lot of Arcade Cabs over the years, and having a cab like this that takes up no space, and can be moved to basically anywhere in my game room is awesome. I have a ton of Mame roms that I loaded on there, and it was already loaded with all the zen pinball and like 150 VP roms, so it's great to be able to bounce from Wrestlefest to NBA Jam to Mercs to Ms PacMan to Golden Tee to classic pins and then to pinball fx titles. I highly recommend; the only downside is that you can't play two player on the beat em ups like TMNT, but I'm thinking of adding an Xbox 360 wireless controller, so should be able to play 2player that way.

#1639 7 years ago
    Quoted from dsmoke1986:

Sorry for the late reply, hadn't been on this thread.
    I am loving the vertigo, it is really functional; I've had a lot of Arcade Cabs over the years, and having a cab like this that takes up no space, and can be moved to basically anywhere in my game room is awesome. I have a ton of Mame roms that I loaded on there, and it was already loaded with all the zen pinball and like 150 VP roms, so it's great to be able to bounce from Wrestlefest to NBA Jam to Mercs to Ms PacMan to Golden Tee to classic pins and then to pinball fx titles. I highly recommend; the only downside is that you can't play two player on the beat em ups like TMNT, but I'm thinking of adding an Xbox 360 wireless controller, so should be able to play 2player that way.

no 2 player? Wow that is a deal breaker (for me -but I would assume a lot of other people as well). These games are shallow enough - multi is what makes these games shine and that person needs to be next you shoulder to shoulder.

#1640 7 years ago

I'd put a shaker motor in before a knocker. Unless knockers fire more often than free games and I missing something, but a shaker adds to game play much more rather than firing during a random match sequence or when you achieve a predetermined score... besides it always scares the heck out of me when it goes off ... I'll take the shaker.

Edit: also if you're going 8 contractors you might as well go 10 imo.

#1641 7 years ago

Any one running Future Pinball? If so can you please post your backglass settings. I can't seem to get mine on the screen. Crazy right?

20161019_213556 (resized).jpg20161019_213556 (resized).jpg

#1642 7 years ago

It seems my buyer backed out at the last minute.

My machine is back on the market. Here is the Craigslist add:

atlanta.craigslist.org link

Thanks!
    -Matt

#1643 7 years ago

I would like to know your settings to get the table full screen? i cant figure that or the backglass. thanks

#1644 7 years ago

With future pinball you set the screen sizes (playfield and backglass) individually. Once you've opened a table in FP hit the scroll lock button and use the page up/down buttons and the 2,4,6,8 buttons to set the position (translate) and size of the playfield and monitor. Once you have them where you want them either hit Ctr+S to save it, or save the table when you exit out of FP

#1645 7 years ago

I picked up a VirtuaPin, but unfortunately it was loaded with older software (XP). Going through the slow process of updating everything, so I'm basically starting from scratch.

I finally got Windows 7 installed along with Visual Pinball. After some trial and error, tables are running! No backglass or DMD yet, but we'll get there. PinballX is next, then I update the plunger.

#1646 7 years ago
    Quoted from Mudflaps:

I picked up a VirtuaPin, but unfortunately it was loaded with older software (XP). Going through the slow process of updating everything, so I'm basically starting from scratch.
    I finally got Windows 7 installed along with Visual Pinball. After some trial and error, tables are running! No backglass or DMD yet, but we'll get there. PinballX is next, then I update the plunger.

If there is anything I can do to help, let me know. We can network over the weekend, if you are available.

I'll get you fully up and running.

#1647 7 years ago

Thanks again 85Vett Appreciate your help. Cant wait to try some tables out in Full Screen Finally!

#1648 7 years ago
    Quoted from 85vett:

With future pinball you set the screen sizes (playfield and backglass) individually. Once you've opened a table in FP hit the scroll lock button and use the page up/down buttons and the 2,4,6,8 buttons to set the position (translate) and size of the playfield and monitor. Once you have them where you want them either hit Ctr+S to save it, or save the table when you exit out of FP

Thanks, I'll give this a try tonight and i'll post my cabinet settings.

#1649 7 years ago
    Quoted from NoahFentz:

If there is anything I can do to help, let me know. We can network over the weekend, if you are available.
    I'll get you fully up and running.

Sounds good Paul, and thanks for the help so far. I know there's only so much you can do.

Got B2S working, next is the DMD, then the frontend.

I've gone from a semi-bricked XP machine to a fully working and wifi enabled Windows 7 machine running tables, so I'm kind of proud of myself because I'm such a nitwit.

There are 3,991 posts in this topic. You are on page 33 of 80.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/virtual-pinball-club/page/33?hl=jlebowski and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.