Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 3,991 posts
  • 352 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 days ago by Mr_Outlane
  • Topic is favorited by 271 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

TFTC FlyerA (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    IMG_0466 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0465 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0464 (resized).JPG
    Top10pro (resized).png
    Top10pro (resized).png
    20240129_125402.png
    Fireballxl5 (resized).png
    2023-12-31 19.32.48 (resized).jpg
    2023-11-17 22.19.51 (resized).jpg
    2023-11-11 03.07.25 (resized).jpg
    2023-11-11 01.58.53 (resized).jpg
    poster2 (resized).png
    411392839_735139934899280_8496203559983449797_n (resized).jpg
    There are 3,991 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 80.
    #101 10 years ago
    Quoted from bub2010:

I think it is pretty dang good already.. any improvement will be greatly accepted though.

Visual Pinball physics can only be called good, compared to Future pinball physics (which are horrid)

I'm thrilled this is being improved!!!

I've not downloaded or updated any tables in a few months on my cabinet... looking forward to checking this out.

#102 10 years ago

Ironman and Tron are a couple of FP tables I've played recently and I think those play fine. Then again... being into both real and virtual pins I accept the fact that not everything is going to be exactly 100% and VP regardless of platform is after all a video game emulation of something physical. As long as the flipper to ball release point is not way out of whack I'm good. There is a version of Avatar I've played recently also that I really like the music and sound package they used which is largely completely different than the original, but still really nice... that being said the shots are super hard to hit because on that table there is something not right with the release angle or something. 85 vette said he did one and I have NOT yet tried his. Need to get around to setting up the new Sam system for his Tron and Avatar tables so I hear.

#103 10 years ago

Tron plays awesome in the new SAM VP program. One of my most played tables at the moment.

#104 10 years ago

That very Tron is the one I want to get setup on mine. At the moment I have one cab about 80% done... built a new one for myself and haven't got it all together yet. I've really enjoyed the Future Pin version and from what I have seen that one is great too. Anyone compared the 2 yet?

#105 10 years ago

Awesome news with the physics update. I hope all plays out well, and we can get backwards compatibility. If not, I can mod the fplaunch to be able to run different exe's for tables that use the new file extension (or whatever it is).
    I actually havent tried the FP Tron, but the VP Tron is really nice. Its a must have with Tron artwork

#106 10 years ago
    Quoted from boogies:

Awesome news with the physics update. I hope all plays out well, and we can get backwards compatibility

from the dev,

"Unfortunately, with so many drastic changes, this new physics engine is not completely backwards compatible with old tables. Several physics parameters have to be retuned for these new features to work. I'll however shortly post a test build with which you can play around a bit."

#107 10 years ago

This physics engine does have better flipper physics, although it seems to have some other issues. But it is a big improvement. Will be interesting once it's more ironed out.

#108 10 years ago

Joined the club myself with markmons help on the build last week

CAM00833.jpgCAM00833.jpg CAM00832.jpgCAM00832.jpg CAM00831.jpgCAM00831.jpg
    #109 10 years ago

That's awesome that FX2 added that second screen support. Does it stop zooming when you plunge, too?

Lots of exciting things on the horizon for virtual pinball!

#110 10 years ago
    Quoted from Deaconblooze:

That's awesome that FX2 added that second screen support. Does it stop zooming when you plunge, too?
    Lots of exciting things on the horizon for virtual pinball!

Yeah, its done this for a long time I think. Just zooms in on plunger and then locks in view, which you can update.

I have pinball arcade on it and it can be fun to play regular tables too sometimes, but physix isnt as sweet. Plus, pinballfx2 is on steam so i play with my local buddies online and we can see friend's leader boards etc. That makes it really fun

#111 10 years ago

is there going to be a new version of Visual Pinball coming out? ha ha not sure what you all are talking about?
    I have another dumb question to ask. whats the Difference in Future pinball and Visual pinball?? Thanks for the help..

#112 10 years ago
    Quoted from gregh43:

is there going to be a new version of Visual Pinball coming out? ha ha not sure what you all are talking about?
    I have another dumb question to ask. whats the Difference in Future pinball and Visual pinball?? Thanks for the help..

Future Pinball does not use actual game Roms for sound and DMD display. It is all done by the programmer.
    Visual Pinball uses the actual game Roms and reacts exactly like the real machine.
    This point can be argued to death but Visual Pinball has much better ball physics than Future Pinball.

And as for your first question, Yes, there is new version of Visual Pinball on the horizon.
    It is in testing phase for Direct X 9 right now, which you can download and play with.
    I believe the next big upgrade will be for Direct X 10 coming soon.

#113 10 years ago

Thanks for info.. appreciate it. Hope the next version of VP will be more user friendly haha

#114 10 years ago

Arcade I have one more question to ask you. I was wondering why most people use Windows XP to run VP?
    does it run better with XP? Iam in the process of building a virtual. would Windows 7 work as well or Use XP????
    Thanks again!!

#115 10 years ago

Gregh... just to chime in... I have a good majority of tables I like that seem to work fine under my win 7 machine which is just a desktop machine (not a pinball cab), but there are weird driver things that can come up. I forget right off what driver version I'm using for my video cards, but some tables under some revisions can give launching/loading or even exiting issues. I believe the drivers I'm using are probably a couple or 3 years old. I think a lot of issues that can happen are DX support related stuff since they aren't optimizing for DX8 or 9 anymore. I just know that with the setup I use that basically 140-150 tables work really well.

#116 10 years ago

Here are some shots of my setup. Revision_4-625.jpgRevision_4-625.jpg Revision_4_1-841.jpgRevision_4_1-841.jpg Built as a compact space-saving unit out of spare materials, and using the 24" monitors that I already had. I initially built this as a conversion to my triple-screen racing simulation rig Cockpit-193.jpgCockpit-193.jpg Monitor Stand After-781.jpgMonitor Stand After-781.jpg, but as I got more into it I built it as a standalone unit. The table portion now sits next to the wall-mounted MAME rig, all running off the same computer. MAMEPanel_finished.jpgMAMEPanel_finished.jpg

The material I work with is called 8020 T-slot, and it is primarily used for industrial automation applications. They call it "the adult erector set". The white board is just shelving that I picked up from Lowes. The most expensive part of all of this are the actual buttons and control boards. You can pick up the T-slot aluminum on ebay from 8020garagesale. I am using almost all 4040 series metric, as I picked up a pallet of the stuff from an old job on auction.

Revision 4 is the latest, as I've added the VirtuaPin controller, to give me the analog plunger (still needs alot of work, IMO) and analog nudging. Previously had a HAPP board running all of the buttons. I plan to flush mount all of the button panels for a cleaner look, but it plays very well right now. Getting the height and width close to a real machine makes it feel more authentic than it looks. Still need to hard-mount the backbox screen, as it is just sitting on a hidden shelf at the moment. I may just mount it to the wall, like I did the MAME setup. The wall-mounted MAME setup is running off an IPAC4. 8 buttons and two joysticks per player.

The PC is 4 years old now, but was bleeding edge when I built it: Core i7 980x, 2 GTX480 video cards, and some serious cooling upgrades to keep it quiet yet overclockable.Revision_4_1-841.jpgRevision_4_1-841.jpg

Running Dracula Backglass and DMD working.jpgRunning Dracula Backglass and DMD working.jpg
    #117 10 years ago
    Quoted from gregh43:

Arcade I have one more question to ask you. I was wondering why most people use Windows XP to run VP?
    does it run better with XP? Iam in the process of building a virtual. would Windows 7 work as well or Use XP????
    Thanks again!!

In my opinion, windows 7 is preferred. There was a time when XP drivers for video cards resulted in faster FPS, but the software is moving to more modern OS. And you get better performance in games like Pinball FX and Pinball Arcade in windows 7 since they use the newer APIs. All my cabinets are set up with Windows 7.

#118 10 years ago

Thanks Bub and Markmon. Was thinking on using a I7 processor is that overkill
    or what is the optimum processor to run them smooth and no lagging?

#119 10 years ago

I am running on windows 7 as well just fine.
    My cabinet is running on an AMD Phenom 950 processor and an ATI 5670 video card.
    Plays all tables very smooth and my cabinet is coming up on 3 years old.
    The framerates on the new DX9 release are even better.

#120 10 years ago

Thanks again Arcade. Pinsiders are the nicest and most
    helpful.. never get any help from any users on VP Forums....
    any idea when the new VP program and DX 10
    are coming out?? does anyone know if theres a updated Guns N Roses
    table out or coming out.. thanks again

#121 10 years ago
    Quoted from gregh43:

any idea when the new VP program and DX 10
    are coming out?? does anyone know if theres a updated Guns n Roses
    table out or coming out.. thanks again

The DX9 Test 13 seems to run almost everything close to glitch free. I've only noticed a little bit of graphical glitches, but definitely worth the upgrade.

Quoted from Arcade:

http://www.vpforums.org/index.php?showtopic=26714&page=1
    Once installed you must open up the video settings and choose to run in "Windowed Mode".

It sounds like the naming convention is still gonna be worked out - Here's the topic page for the newer Physics Engine.

#122 10 years ago
    Quoted from gregh43:

Thanks again!!

To Concur with Markmon, XP is older and Win7 should run your newer games faster (Pinball Arcade and Pinball FX). Most people that have ran VP have had more headaches with Win7, but I believe that most people have headaches trying to just get everything setup, even with XP. This kinda leads to alot of older users of XP to stand behind the OS - like myself.
    With the newer engine and DX9, win7 might even be a better choice for VP too but the LEDWiz runs slower on Win7 than it does on XP, so it mighta catch22 situation for VP. I believe that 85Vette might have some info on this, I think he did Win7

#123 10 years ago
    Quoted from gregh43:

Yikes... things have changed then.

I found folks there to be incredibly helpful.... one member offered to stop at my house and help troubleshoot a digital plunger, another member actually copied his ENTIRE hardrive and sent it to me to resolve an odd config issue....

oh and dont forget the folks that MAKE the tables and give them away free.... pretty cool community.

#124 10 years ago
    Quoted from gregh43:

I5 or i7 is fine. Video card is more important.

#125 10 years ago
    Quoted from gregh43:

I've found that basically ANY processor that is 4,6,or 8 core that runs at 3.4+ Ghz runs fine... AMD or Intel. (I've got a setup on my mame machine which is a 3ghz core 2 that runs the few tables on it I have) I think I remember testing a couple of things with a buddy's i7 compared to an i5 and don't remember really seeing much of a difference. Given the choice if a 5ghz quad core existed I'd take that over an 8 core 4ghz processor any day since VP as it sits does not really do much else with the extra cores. I have stuck with the Nvidia cards for video though. I'm sure others have used ATi also though.

#126 10 years ago
    Quoted from lowepg:

Yikes... things have changed then.
    I found folks there to be incredibly helpful.... one member offered to stop at my house and help troubleshoot a digital plunger, another member actually copied his ENTIRE hardrive and sent it to me to resolve an odd config issue....
    oh and dont forget the folks that MAKE the tables and give them away free.... pretty cool community.

Depends on who you are. I don't get much love over there. All good though, I just release my tables at VPuniverse whom is more than happy to have me there

I've met some really nice people on both sites as well as some real pricks on both sites. Reminds me of another site I know of. Good and bad apples everywhere.

#127 10 years ago

Thanks again to you all.. really appreciate all your
    expertise. iam learning alot in a short time. How about
    Force Feedback and having solenoids. is that
    must for a true pinball experience? or is it just a luxury to have?
    i wanna build a nice machine but dont wanna go over
    budget. it will be a widebody with 46' screen

#128 10 years ago

Anyone have any custom decals designed
    for sale? to use on the virtual.. was thinking
    the guns n roses decals or star trek next
    generation. but would like something cool

#129 10 years ago
    Quoted from neurokinetik:

I initially built this as a conversion to my triple-screen racing simulation rig

That looks nice. I've been looking into 8020 to rebuild my own rig. Would you mind sharing some plans if you have them? It's sort of daunting to enter the world of 8020..

#130 10 years ago

I can take some measurements, but there were no actual plans made. The good thing about 8020 is that trial and error can actually work. Just cut, tap, drill and assemble. What part of the setup were you looking for?

The most important thing when working with 8020 for the first time is to choose a profile type (most common are the 4040 metric - 40mm x 40mm, or the 1515 standard - 1.5in x 1.5in) and go from there. The 8020garagesale store on ebay makes it easy to find compatible pieces and fasteners from there. For tools, it is best to have a chop saw or miter saw and a good blade (the more teeth the better - and don't use an abrasive cutoff wheel). A small drill press works well, but a hand drill is fine. Then just a tap for the ends for the button head cap screws.

Post edited by neurokinetik: moar info

#131 10 years ago
    Quoted from jrivelli:

Joined the club myself with markmons help on the build last week

CAM00833.jpg 160 KB
    CAM00832.jpg 137 KB
    CAM00831.jpg 162 KB

jrivelli, check out the thread at PartsExpress about upgrading Lepai 2020A+, it was pretty easy just did my 3 of em.
    amazing what swapping out some caps and upping the input supply current can do:
    http://techtalk.parts-express.com/showthread.php?226235-Modding-the-Lepai-T2020A&highlight=modify+lepai

#132 10 years ago
    Quoted from zizzlemeplease:

jrivelli, check out the thread at PartsExpress about upgrading Lepai 2020A+, it was pretty easy just did my 3 of em.
    amazing what swapping out some caps and upping the input supply current can do:
    http://techtalk.parts-express.com/showthread.php?226235-Modding-the-Lepai-T2020A&highlight=modify+lepai

Sweet, thanks for the link. The speakers sound awesome (just some cheap $5 speakers) and 10" inch sub, it erally pounds, nice and deep.

This mod should be even better, but it just seems like a lot of work for what is already a good sounding setup. imo of course. And I'm lazy on this stuff

I'll convince MArkmon how good of an idea this is, then complain my audio sucks and get him to do it since he is an audio nazi

#133 10 years ago

How would i go about converting my pincab hyperpin win xp running VP, fx2 and TPA.Over to win 7.I know it will benefit TPA when they do the DX11 upgrade.Do i have to start from scratch?.

#134 10 years ago

I am pretty sure you can do an upgrade if you use win 7 pro....now if it botches it up or not .....dunno. I'd say if it performs fine now why bother?

#135 10 years ago

Got a lot of help from toyotaboy today on adding some FuturePinball games to the machine I picked up this week. It's all foreign to me, but after an hour, I got a table added! The table image and backglass didn't make it over to Hyperpin, but the wheel image did. I need to figure out VisualPinball now too. Lots of great EM's I'd love to add, as well as stuff like Capcom Kingpin and a lot of the custom games people have created. I've been in the hobby for several years, but this all feels totally new and different to me!

#136 10 years ago
    Quoted from gregh43:

How about
    Force Feedback and having solenoids. is that
    must for a true pinball experience? or is it just a luxury to have?
    i wanna build a nice machine but dont wanna go over
    budget.

If you are building it for VP purposes, get 'em - Definately worth it, especially since you said it's not budget build....
    I have bought them for two different builds, about $100 shipped, used - on ebay for a set of 6 or 8.

Quoted from Pinzzz:

How would i go about converting my pincab hyperpin win xp running VP, fx2 and TPA.Over to win 7.I know it will benefit TPA when they do the DX11 upgrade.Do i have to start from scratch?.

Can't really comment on Win7 installation, but I have to agree with Bub - If it ain't broken, don't try to fix it....
    If you gotta give it a try, make sure you do it on a seperate hard drive, or at least create a full back up of the existing HD, so you can do a real restore if you need to. FWIW: I use R-Drive Image to create full HD backups.

Quoted from neurokinetik:

Here are some shots of my setup. Built as a compact space-saving unit out of spare materials, and using the 24" monitors that I already had. I initially built this as a conversion to my triple-screen racing simulation rig , but as I got more into it I built it as a standalone unit. The table portion now sits next to the wall-mounted MAME rig, all running off the same computer.

I've seen that materail, and often wondered "what's it called?", so seriously - THANKS!
    That is seriously cool material, maybe I can make my next "project" outta it - hmmm....
    PinCamera rig or a Rotissere?
    FWIW: Here's my racing cab:

I would be in trouble with that pin-setup, as I get way too much dust. As it is, I hate cleaning my screen in fear of some kinda foreign object (like a metal shaving), so I usually blow the dust, suck ( with vaccuum) the dust, then clean with monitor wipes, followed by the monitor spray and wipes. I would hate to have the playfield monitor exposed. The BG isn't really a problem.

#137 10 years ago
    Quoted from callmesteam:

Got a lot of help from toyotaboy today on adding some FuturePinball games to the machine I picked up this week. It's all foreign to me, but after an hour, I got a table added! The table image and backglass didn't make it over to Hyperpin, but the wheel image did. I need to figure out VisualPinball now too. Lots of great EM's I'd love to add, as well as stuff like Capcom Kingpin and a lot of the custom games people have created. I've been in the hobby for several years, but this all feels totally new and different to me!

Cool - It sounds like your gonna be "getting it" by actually doing it. I don't think that there is a Full Screen version of Capcom Kingpin on VP yet - maybe on FP It's awesome that ToyotaBoy is helping ya...
    I usually have problems with the artwork when I have longfile naming convention. If you name it as short and direct (like Kingpin) as possible, then it's usually less problematic.
    On my version of Hyperpin, I can run the table, then press the O and U keys to create the playfield and backglass images (in VP). Maybe it will work in FP?

#138 10 years ago

hey boogies where on ebay did you find
    force feedback? or do you know any sites to order from
    thats reasonable?? thanks

#139 10 years ago

They are 24v Siemens Contactors. Not sure of current availability, but in the past there were quite a few ebay "lot" purchases of 6 to 10 for around $100 shipped.
    Here's a thread that covered alot of models:
    http://www.hyperspin-fe.com/forum/showthread.php?18867-All-about-contactors

#140 10 years ago

Thanks ill check it out

#141 10 years ago
    Quoted from boogies:

I've seen that materail, and often wondered "what's it called?", so seriously - THANKS!
    That is seriously cool material, maybe I can make my next "project" outta it - hmmm....
    PinCamera rig or a Rotissere?

8020 is not the only manufacturer of this type of material. The generic name for it is aluminum T-slot. Item and Bosch also have their own versions of it. In fact, the Item stuff comes in some of the exact same sizes as the 8020, and is mostly interchangeable.

1 week later
    #142 9 years ago

Here's mine. It's has Williams widebody dimensions with a 46" Samsung LED TV for the playfield, 32" Samsung LED for the back glass, real Vishay DMD, force feedback, analog nudge, flashers, shaker motor, Infinity sound system with 8" sub and color changing under-cab and rear accent lighting.

1.jpg1.jpg

2.jpg2.jpg

3.jpg3.jpg

4.jpg4.jpg

#143 9 years ago

Nice cabinet artwork!

#144 9 years ago
    Quoted from lowepg:

Nice cabinet artwork!

Thanks!

#145 9 years ago

yes agree, cool cabinet art.

#146 9 years ago

+1 nice job for sure !

#147 9 years ago

That Star Wars cab is SUPER clean. Beautiful artwork

I've been looking at something like this for one of my real pins, but know it's coming to VP http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/diy-addams-family-poor-mans-color-dmd/page/4#post-1553152

Good times ahead for LCD DMD guys: http://www.vpforums.org/index.php?showtopic=27440&page=3
    Now I have LCD envy

#148 9 years ago

If anyone's interested in a cool frontend to use with VP / FP / MAME / any other emulator, there's nothing else quite like 3dArcade. Here's a few pinball-specific screenshots I made of 3dArk in action:

chrome3.jpgchrome3.jpg
    williamsv.jpgwilliamsv.jpg
    chrome2h.jpgchrome2h.jpg

#149 9 years ago
    Quoted from swinks:

yes agree, cool cabinet art.

Quoted from RipleYYY:

+1 nice job for sure !

Quoted from boogies:

That Star Wars cab is SUPER clean. Beautiful artwork
    I've been looking at something like this for one of my real pins, but know it's coming to VP http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/diy-addams-family-poor-mans-color-dmd/page/4#post-1553152
    Good times ahead for LCD DMD guys: http://www.vpforums.org/index.php?showtopic=27440&page=3
    Now I have LCD envy

Thanks for the compliments guys!

Yeah, I have mixed feelings about the LCD DMD stuff. I guess it's more important to some than others. For me, the most compelling reason I'm seeing for one at the moment is it's the only way to get PBFX2 to work with a dedicated DMD. Still holding out hope that PinDMD support will still make it in eventually though. They (Zen) have had one in their possession for a while...

#150 9 years ago

There are lots of pinball simulators coming out, and supporting archaic real dmds just won't be in their charters. Even many of us with real pins are swapping dmds for led, color DMD, etc. DMD in a vpincab is a bad move with no real justifiable pro. A nice led monitor can look just as bright and nearly as black as a plasma dmd anyway. Why limit your flexibility.

There are 3,991 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 80.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/virtual-pinball-club/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.