Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 3,989 posts
  • 352 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 days ago by Smaug
  • Topic is favorited by 271 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

TFTC FlyerA (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    IMG_0466 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0465 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0464 (resized).JPG
    Top10pro (resized).png
    Top10pro (resized).png
    20240129_125402.png
    Fireballxl5 (resized).png
    2023-12-31 19.32.48 (resized).jpg
    2023-11-17 22.19.51 (resized).jpg
    2023-11-11 03.07.25 (resized).jpg
    2023-11-11 01.58.53 (resized).jpg
    poster2 (resized).png
    411392839_735139934899280_8496203559983449797_n (resized).jpg
    There are 3,989 posts in this topic. You are on page 27 of 80.
    #1301 8 years ago
    Quoted from delt31:

guys - do the virtual tables allow you to apply or use update code or change music? For example, my Jurassic has the latest rom from Chad which is a MAJOR improvement than stock. Can the same updates and rule changes be applied to the virtual table? For GnR I have a pinsound card which allows custom music. In the virtual table, can you add your own music that is incorporated into the game (not just MP3 music that plays over top)?

You can override the ROM music with your own mp3 files defined in the VP Script. See jpsalas lord of the rings for an example of how.

#1302 8 years ago

Good to hear. How about the rules/rom itself? Would you be able to apply the new rom for jurassic park in a VP setting?

#1303 8 years ago
    Quoted from delt31:

Good to hear. How about the rules/rom itself? Would you be able to apply the new rom for jurassic park in a VP setting?

Look for the rom name in the script, change rom name to the new rom

#1304 8 years ago
    Quoted from delt31:

guys - do the virtual tables allow you to apply or use update code or change music? For example, my Jurassic has the latest rom from Chad which is a MAJOR improvement than stock. Can the same updates and rule changes be applied to the virtual table? For GnR I have a pinsound card which allows custom music. In the virtual table, can you add your own music that is incorporated into the game (not just MP3 music that plays over top)?

Good news, you can now play any PinSound sound package with your virtual VP tables. I've upgraded the PinSound Studio and it can communicate with PinMAME to act as a sound board.

SW DE demo:

TFTC demo:

I hope you'll enjoy it!

#1305 8 years ago

That looks great. Are there instructions on how to do this posted? I assume it's a replacement com object that is loaded in place of pinmame controller?

#1306 8 years ago

There's a VPM build that can handle the PinSound stuff
    http://www.vpforums.org/index.php?showtopic=27063&page=9#entry311115

#1307 8 years ago

Does that support all the Sam stuff? Also are there instructions?

#1308 8 years ago

is there anyway to get the original Rom sound for the Bally Kiss Table? The Future Pinball table has the orginal sound. has anyone tried the VP10 Kiss Table? does it look right for you? flippers look huge on mine..Thanks

#1309 8 years ago

hey greg. i just downloaded both the fp and the vpx Kiss tables and yes, the flippers do seem big, but actually it just seems to be the height of them that is off. If you want to you can change to what I measured on a actual flipper (I think it's the same one). Click on the flippers in vp and under Colors & Formatting change Rubber Offset height to 16, and Rubber Width to 20. Under Position change Height to 40. That looks much more realistic to me, although I don't have the actual table to tell for sure and am not sure what the flipper I have is from. As far as the sounds go, theoretically the rom sounds in the vpx version are the real sounds, but the guy who did the recent FP table recorded them from his actual table so the sound is likely somewhat different based on speakers, etc. I'm sure it's possible to get those sounds into the vpx version somehow, but that's beyond me.

#1310 8 years ago

Cool thanks appreciate your info. Yes the VP Kiss table has the orginal start up tune. but during game play it has the chiming not the orginal sound as the kiss pinball. The Future table is exact since the guy recorded it like you said. anyway would be nice to have the original sound on vp since on future pinball i cant get the game full caninet and it has images on the playfield. Thanks for the flipper adjustments. will change it..

#1311 8 years ago

heres a Vid of the real kiss pin..

#1312 8 years ago
    Quoted from markmon:

That looks great. Are there instructions on how to do this posted? I assume it's a replacement com object that is loaded in place of pinmame controller?

Yes, it's quite simple:
    - download the latest PinSound Studio software (v0.7): http://www.pinsound.org/pinsound-studio/
    - download and replace your vpinmame DLL: http://www.pinsound.org/visual-pinball-dll/

As Visual Pinball must communicate with PSStudio, make sure that the Windows permissions are the same: if you have to launch your Visual Pinball as an administrator, you should start PSStudio as an administrator too.
    The PSStudio must be started before you launch your Visual Pinball table.

Currently, it's compatible with the same hardware supported by the PinSound board: System11-C/WPC89/WPCDCS/WPC95/DE.3 and SEGA/STERN Whitestar will be added soon. I'll look into SAM after that.

#1313 8 years ago
    Quoted from PinSound:

Yes, it's quite simple:
    - download the latest PinSound Studio software (v0.7): http://www.pinsound.org/pinsound-studio/
    - download and replace your vpinmame DLL: http://www.pinsound.org/visual-pinball-dll/
    As Visual Pinball must communicate with PSStudio, make sure that the Windows permissions are the same: if you have to launch your Visual Pinball as an administrator, you should start PSStudio as an administrator too.
    The PSStudio must be started before you launch your Visual Pinball table.
    Currently, it's compatible with the same hardware supported by the PinSound board: System11-C/WPC89/WPCDCS/WPC95/DE.3 and SEGA/STERN Whitestar will be added soon. I'll look into SAM after that.

Pinsound on SAM would be awesome for my iron maiden project I'm working on.

#1314 8 years ago
    Quoted from gregh43:

Cool thanks appreciate your info. Yes the VP Kiss table has the orginal start up tune. but during game play it has the chiming not the orginal sound as the kiss pinball. The Future table is exact since the guy recorded it like you said. anyway would be nice to have the original sound on vp since on future pinball i cant get the game full caninet and it has images on the playfield. Thanks for the flipper adjustments. will change it..

Ah, when the table is running press F6, in the pop-up window on the left side under Sound features, make sure "noises and tunes" is selected. Then as it says on the window after pressing OK press F3 to reload, or just close and repopen the table. That should get you closer to what you are looking for.

#1315 8 years ago

Anyone know of any virtual pins for sale? Thanks!

#1316 8 years ago
    Quoted from Phod:

There's always these combo machines. http://pinballbulbs.com/products/pinballbulbs-mini-virtual-pinball-combo

#1317 8 years ago
    Quoted from Phod:

We have machines for sale from $2495 and up!!

#1318 8 years ago
    Quoted from shakenbake:

We have machines for sale from $2495 and up!!

I'll email you this week with questions, thanks!

#1319 8 years ago
    Quoted from Phod:

I'll email you this week with questions, thanks!

Sounds good. Thanks!

#1320 8 years ago

Thanks BDog Appreciate your help.. ill try it out.

#1321 8 years ago

Any virtual pinball owners in Jacksonville FL? I have a cab I purchased and thinking of getting a sec (thanks vpcabs for your awesome response I'll be in touch soon). But wanted to look into upgrading my current one, vid card or perhaps cpu. And I didn't build so I'm a little nervous to tinker. Anyhow if any owners are in the Jax area I'd love to get in touch. Thanks!

#1322 8 years ago

virtuapin.net I thought had MPU graphics kits available. Or look what his premium models run and look from there. I bought my widebody extreme from him like 3 years ago, and even now it still is strong enough, I never get ,lag even with high demand tables.

#1323 8 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

virtuapin.net I thought had MPU graphics kits available. Or look what his premium models run and look from there. I bought my widebody extreme from him like 3 years ago, and even now it still is strong enough, I never get ,lag even with high demand tables.

Yea. It's super hard to make a PC that would have lag in something like VP or pinball fx to be honest. I mean I built stuff in the $350 range with the power to handle all that.

#1324 8 years ago

just saying it's a good guide if he wants to know what hardware works good. Some tables lag cuz they are built bad, nothing you can do about those.

#1325 8 years ago

wouldnt you need a faster cpu and video card to run the top games like the stern tables like Star Trek and Ac/Dc and Metallica . etc..

#1326 8 years ago

Hey, newbie here to the whole virtual pinball world. I spent a fruitless 2hrs the other night loading all the software necessary to run pinball on my laptop - following instructions on VPForum. I am running Windows 10 so I don't know if maybe that was part of the problem. Anyway, I am computer literate and did all the upgrading, etc. following the directions but I couldn't get a table to run after downloading the table and the ROM file (Stars was my candidate). I did get the "default" table to run (a very unimpressive version of High Speed).

I'm hoping maybe I did something wrong, I was getting an error that the program couldn't cache the sound file for one, then the VP program just stopped working and Windows closed it. This would happen after loading the Stars files, and then running VP and choosing "Stars" and "Play."

I feel like I'm missing out on some fantastic pinball (virutal) from my new MSI gaming laptop - urgh! Is there another site with better directions perhaps? Or is there another program to run on Windows 10 that I missed??

Thanks, Nate

#1327 8 years ago
    Quoted from gregh43:

wouldnt you need a faster cpu and video card to run the top games like the stern tables like Star Trek and Ac/Dc and Metallica . etc..

These all run really great on a $60 intel CPU and $120 gtx750 video card. In the grand scheme of things, this is not a big challenge for today's computers.

#1328 8 years ago

Thanks Markmon for your input. so basically i over spent on computer hardware then i run a I7 processor. How about using Windows 10 any issues with VP? was thinking on updating to windows 10.. thanks

#1329 8 years ago

I would stick with Windows 7 64-bit OS, personally.

As for the computer build, I think $350 is a low estimate unless you buy used, but otherwise markmon is right. You don't need cutting edge to run these tables. Does it help? Sure. But is it necessary? Nah. I would stick with newer gen CPUs (i3/i5), basic mobo, and at a minimum the 750GTX. From my testing a Core2Duo was good, an OC Core2Duo was better, a Core2Quad of similar speed was still better but the i5 I have been testing with recently now has been the best to date. My 660GTX played everything I threw at it and others do just as well with the 750s. 2GB GPU is a necessity. Go SSD and 4GB RAM is enough as well. If you can do 8GB, go for it but not necessary. And get a decent PS that can power the rig. maybe $500 if you go new. if you got the spare cash, get more but no need to go for top of the line on everything.

Biggest thing is to stop unnecessary background processes form running (various updates, AV, etc.) or get some of them out of the way prior to play time or don't run/install them in the first place.

#1330 8 years ago

Thanks soo much Njgsx96 Appreciate
    your advice. Very Helpful. I have the 760 GTX
    graphics card. with a I7 and 16GB or ram but
    i notice lag on my machine but i need to
    get rid of crap running in the background
    thanks for pointing that out

#1331 8 years ago
    Quoted from gregh43:

Thanks soo much Njgsx96 Appreciate
    your advice. Very Helpful. I have the 760 GTX
    graphics card. with a I7 and 16GB or ram but
    i notice lag on my machine but i need to
    get rid of crap running in the background
    thanks for pointing that out

There are two types of lag you might notice: frame rate lag and input lag. Frame rate lag is what a more powerful machine would address. This will show up in jerky motions mainly.

Input lag is the time it takes from when you pressed the flipper button to when you see the flipper actually flip. The input lag can be fixed a little bit with better graphic card settings such as max prerendered frames = 1 always. But it's also the result of using tv for the playfield. Many tv have extra processing and even in game mode add 50-100ms of input lag. Not much can be done in this case other than replacing the tv with something that has low input lag such as an expensive presentation monitor or a tv with a rated low input lag spec.

#1332 8 years ago
    Quoted from njgsx96:

I would stick with Windows 7 64-bit OS, personally.
    As for the computer build, I think $350 is a low estimate unless you buy used, but otherwise markmon is right. You don't need cutting edge to run these tables. Does it help? Sure.

I'll argue that a cutting edge PC doesn't help at all. The specs I build run as these pinball simulations as well as anything:

H81 board $50
    CPU: $60
    4gb ram: $25
    120gb ssd: $65
    Gtx 750ti: $110
    Power supply: $30

I bet that come to *under* $350

#1333 8 years ago
    Quoted from markmon:

I'll argue that a cutting edge PC doesn't help at all. The specs I build run as these pinball simulations as well as anything:
    H81 board $50
    CPU: $60
    4gb ram: $25
    120gb ssd: $65
    Gtx 750ti: $110
    Power supply: $30
    I bet that come to *under* $350

Well then I stand corrected! I did a quick build not too long ago and going by what I remembered, came out around $450-500. but I was not bargain hunting so it looks like if you do, you can do so on the cheap.

Good call on the TV/monitor as well. Some of the nicer TVs have bad lag and a lot you need to switch to game mode. I am actually going to try a Yamakasi monitor for the next one I make.

#1334 8 years ago

Here is a nice video of a Visual Pinball T2 with an enhanced OST sound package (played by the PinSound audio engine):

#1335 8 years ago

Thanks Markmon apprecoate the info on the tv. For the Playfield i have a 46" Samsung LED
    3D tv with a 240 refresh rate. i run my tv in Game Mode. i get better colors of the tables in Game Mode. what tv do you recommend for better picture and play?? thanks

#1336 8 years ago

What model do you have, Greg? You should be able to find the input lag/refresh rate online. 30s or less is what you are looking for. 20s is great. 10s is even greater and under 10 is PC monitor territory.

#1337 8 years ago
    Quoted from njgsx96:

What model do you have, Greg? You should be able to find the input lag/refresh rate online. 30 or less is what you are looking for. 20s is great. 10s is even greater and under 10 is PC monitor territory.

It's pretty tough to find those specs

#1338 8 years ago
    Quoted from markmon:

It's pretty tough to find those specs

A lot of the newer 4K sets, 40" that I have been looking at lately at least, are in the 20s/30s, which I think is great. I am actually looking at a 40" 4K monitor for my next build that is rated for 5ms GTG. My brother-in-law can get a 42" 1080p commercial display for around $400 but it doesn't fit a standard body and I don't want to go widebody. The PC monitors are hard to find (and pricey) but the 20s/30s ms lag TVs are fairly easy to find.

#1339 8 years ago

46" LED TV SAMSUNG | UN46FH6030FXZA R
    Njgsx96 here's the model # for my TV. I wasn't able to find any info
    About it. appreciate it if you could find out some info for me about
    This TV. Thanks

#1340 8 years ago
    Quoted from njgsx96:

A lot of the newer 4K sets, 40" that I have been looking at lately at least, are in the 20s/30s, which I think is great. I am actually looking at a 40" 4K monitor for my next build that is rated for 5ms GTG. My brother-in-law can get a 42" 1080p commercial display for around $400 but it doesn't fit a standard body and I don't want to go widebody. The PC monitors are hard to find (and pricey) but the 20s/30s ms lag TVs are fairly easy to find.

Where are you finding those specs? The manufacturer usually does not publish them and it takes someone with a camera and CRT to do some tests and report it.

#1341 8 years ago

markmon, I just Google reviews and tests. displaylag.com has some TVs on their site. rtings.com seems to have a bunch as well. Various other reviews will sometimes have the tests performed for the gamers. I find as many as I can and see how close they are.

Greg, looks like that TV has 46-75ms of lag for gaming, give or take.

http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/fh6030

They usually test regular and gaming mode but I only see the one number which leads me to believe that it is NOT gaming mode. Your TV is on displaylag.com and they have that TV at 46ms, but again, no mention of gaming mode. I did see a forum post somewhere of someone say the TV had 75ms but PC mode was "35-40" and he noticed a difference. So I would guess somewhere in between all of that. Fairly high and enough to cause some input lag regardless.

rting.JPGrting.JPG

displaylag.JPGdisplaylag.JPG

#1342 8 years ago

Njgsx: good info there

46ms is huge lag for pinball. It's 3 frames at 60fps which will be very noticeable.

#1343 8 years ago

Njgsx Thanks for so much for the info. greatly appreciated. so what your saying is my tv isnt much good for pinball? do you know any good 46" models out there? I suppose it might be hard to find one that will fit my cab. i have a widebody based off a Williams cab.

#1344 8 years ago
    Quoted from markmon:

Njgsx: good info there
    46ms is huge lag for pinball. It's 3 frames at 60fps which will be very noticeable.

Wow, so 1 frame for every 20ms? Good to know! My last TV was 42ms and it was ever so slightly noticeable. The new monitor has 5 or 8, but it is a PC monitor. Should be pretty sweet... I hope.

#1345 8 years ago
    Quoted from gregh43:

Njgsx Thanks for so much for the info. greatly appreciated. so what your saying is my tv isnt much good for pinball? do you know any good 46" models out there? I suppose it might be hard to find one that will fit my cab. i have a widebody based off a Williams cab.

I think your TV is OK for pinball. You get a little used to the lag over time and if you love it and it doesn't affect you when you play, keep it. but if it is noticeable and you want better response....

The best models on displaylag.com are all from 2012-2013. You can probably find them used/new online. Doing a quick search on Best Buy, I don't see any 46" TVs, just 43" or 48" and they are all 4K.

The Vizio M43-C1 is a 43" and is rated for 18.5ms
    The Sony XBR43X830C is a 43" and is rated for 28ms

Not sure of the 48" would fit, but if it does...

the Samsung UN48JU6400FXZA is rated for 26ms
    The Samsung UN48JS8500FXZA is rated for 36ms

Would need to look around if you wanted to replace what you have. I would keep it under 40ms, preferably in the 20s. If you can afford an actual monitor, commercial 1080p displays are 700-1000 on Amazon for instance, than that might be a good choice too as they would be under 10ms.

#1346 8 years ago
    Quoted from PinSound:

Here is a nice video of a Visual Pinball T2 with an enhanced OST sound package (played by the PinSound audio engine):
    » YouTube video

That sounds absolutely incredible

#1347 8 years ago

Thanks Again for all the Tv info. I would like to get a better tv. but seems like 46" is kinda becoming obsolete. thats the downside of having a widebody. I do notice alot of flipper lag and when i play a table. i dont get a fast smooth play. seems like the ball moves a little slower. i always thought it was a graphics card issue or pc hardware. i do have a fast system so that shouldnt be a problem. makes sense with the tv issues you mentioned. these commercial displays you mentioned . is there a 46" available in that? Thanks!!

#1348 8 years ago
    Quoted from njgsx96:

Wow, so 1 frame for every 20ms? Good to know! My last TV was 42ms and it was ever so slightly noticeable. The new monitor has 5 or 8, but it is a PC monitor. Should be pretty sweet... I hope.

A frame is about 16.67 ms at 60fps. The new monitor you're getting - don't confuse the refresh rate which they advertise with the input lag stat which they don't.

Greg: a presentation monitor - not a tv - is really the way to go if you want to avoid input lag. Unfortunately they're really expensive.

#1349 8 years ago

Thanks Markmon do they make those in 46" and whats the price on those?

#1350 8 years ago

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/used/964052/?gclid=CjwKEAiAmNW2BRDL4KqS3vmqgUESJABiiwDTssMDagLu8YKnvnkcXSDznsFaohwvzEgnCHWi9jFSnxoCl2zw_wcB

Found this presentation display. pretty reasonable .would this work good? Your right Markmon the presentation monitors are way out of my price range. $2 to $3k and up. thanks

There are 3,989 posts in this topic. You are on page 27 of 80.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/virtual-pinball-club/page/27 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.