Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 3,991 posts
  • 352 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 days ago by Mr_Outlane
  • Topic is favorited by 271 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

TFTC FlyerA (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    IMG_0466 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0465 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0464 (resized).JPG
    Top10pro (resized).png
    Top10pro (resized).png
    20240129_125402.png
    Fireballxl5 (resized).png
    2023-12-31 19.32.48 (resized).jpg
    2023-11-17 22.19.51 (resized).jpg
    2023-11-11 03.07.25 (resized).jpg
    2023-11-11 01.58.53 (resized).jpg
    poster2 (resized).png
    411392839_735139934899280_8496203559983449797_n (resized).jpg
    There are 3,991 posts in this topic. You are on page 20 of 80.
    #951 8 years ago
    Quoted from freneticamnesic:

VP has almost nothing to do with DOF. DOF is a b2s plugin, and since you're using the same b2s for VP9, VP10, PM5, whatever else it will always work the same.

thanks, fren...apologies for the n00bish questions/comments. i'm relatively new to this and, honestly, not very pc-savvy.

so how do i turn DOF on? if that's the right way to put that. like, for instance, i downloaded the new POTC (vp10 conversion from fp). i don't have any DOF running on that, but it is on my earlier vp version. i noticed the backglass is different, so i guess i'm running a different b2s....can't remember where i got it from.

i don't have any DOF on the new star trek in either version...physmod5 or vp10.

so is it tied to the b2s? if i were to delete the b2s file i currently have running on that POTC and add the old one, would it then work?

as always, appreciate all the help. i bought my virtual pin pre-configured, so that's probably one reason i'm struggling with figuring it all out.

#952 8 years ago
    Quoted from gregh43:

i wanna update my vp10 beta to the release.theres VP10 Standalone or Full version
    should i get the full Version??? Thanks

this one worked fine for me, greg:

http://vpinball.com/VPBdownloads/visual-pinball-x-standalone-exe/#installation

#953 8 years ago

I guess I'll need to revisit VPX but last I played, compared to Pinball Arcade (DX 11 version maxed out), it was def worse in comparison. Graphics were much better on PA as was physics. Can't comment on DOF.

Is there a good Addams family or TZ for VPX?

#954 8 years ago
    Quoted from delt31:

I guess I'll need to revisit VPX but last I played, compared to Pinball Arcade, it was def worse in comparison. Graphics were much better on PA as was physics. Can't comment on DOF.
    Is there a good Addams Family or TZ for VPX?

i just downloaded it, but so far the table i've played the most is star trek (stern). that table is absolutely fantastic, from both a graphics and physics/playability standpoint. easily as good as anything i've seen with TPA on my ps4 or xbox one (i don't have TPA on my cab yet).

#955 8 years ago
    Quoted from pudluther:

i just downloaded it, but so far the table i've played the most is Star Trek (stern). that table is absolutely fantastic, from both a graphics and physics/playability standpoint. easily as good as anything i've seen with TPA on my ps4 or xbox one (i don't have TPA on my cab yet).

I will give it a go. Do you have a link to the game and do I just need to install the VPX full version? Already have VP9.X on my machine. Might as well link where you're getting all your tables too.

Here is the list of tables I see on the VP forum but didn't see ST:

http://www.vpforums.org/index.php?app=downloads&showcat=50&sort_order=ASC&sort_key=file_name&num=10&st=20

#957 8 years ago

fwiw, i still run vp9.x and the physmod5 version in my cab as well...pinball x will handle all of them. pretty cool.

#958 8 years ago

thanks pudluther. i might try the stand alone. do you know what the difference is between the full version and stand alone?

#959 8 years ago

the standalone link is for the full version of vp10. there's another link out there that just bundles every conceivable version of vp along with vp10, but if you've already got everything else up and running, i don't know what the benefit would be.

#960 8 years ago

pretty cool that stern offers the game code file. Does that just go in the VPMAME rom folder? (Star trek)?

seems like no TAF or TZ for now....

#961 8 years ago

yeah, put the zipped star trek file in the ROMs folder there.

#962 8 years ago

I gave the final t2 and other Pinball arcade games for comparison and PA still wipes VPX away with just finish and polish. I applaud the guys creating these tables for Visual Pinball use but must be missing something big when others say VP is better than PA.

#963 8 years ago

must be doing something wrong with the rom placement b/c getting error with the new stern ones (pinmame has an error saying can't find rom yet the rom is in the right folder) - metallica and ST. Says rom set missing.

EDIT - you have to change the rom code d/l from stern to match the game script so ST had to change to st_161.bin and then rezipped that to st161 and now it works.

#964 8 years ago
    Quoted from delt31:

must be doing something wrong with the rom placement b/c getting error with the new stern ones (pinmame has an error saying can't find rom yet the rom is in the right folder) - Metallica and ST. Says rom set missing.

check the script and make sure the ROM is the right one. i had a similar problem...fren helped me out:

Screen_Shot_2016-01-02_at_9.59.47_PM_(resized).pngScreen_Shot_2016-01-02_at_9.59.47_PM_(resized).png

#965 8 years ago
    Quoted from pudluther:

check the script and make sure the ROM is the right one. i had a similar problem...fren helped me out:

Screen_Shot_2016-01-02_at_9.59.47_PM_(resized).png

thanks - just realized the same and edited my post.

EDIT 2!

Damn tron. I did everything right which got ST and Metallica to work but now tron gives me machine terminated early after it's about to start. weird.

#966 8 years ago

Thanks PL. i dont understand the instructions about copying over the files in the zip to my vp directory. if i run the full install will it take care of everything so i dont need to copy files? thanks. iam computer illiterate ha ha

#967 8 years ago
    Quoted from gregh43:

Thanks PL. i dont understand the instructions about copying over the files in the zip to my vp directory. if i run the full install will it take care of everything so i dont need to copy files? thanks. iam computer illiterate ha ha

i'm about to head to bed, but seriously, just follow the instructions on that page under the "installation" tab. what i did was to unzip the vp10 download into a separate folder...a temp folder...then i manually moved every file into my main vp folder. it will ask you if you want to move and replace...say yes.

then go into the tables sub folder and move all of the files in the script folder as instructed.

it didn't screw up anything i had going on with my other vp installs/files...just to be safe, i made a copy of all the stuff i was about to overwrite prior to overwriting them...but turns out it didn't matter.

good luck...just follow these instructions to the letter...worked for me:

Screen_Shot_2016-01-02_at_11.34.45_PM_(resized).pngScreen_Shot_2016-01-02_at_11.34.45_PM_(resized).png

#968 8 years ago
    Quoted from delt31:

Damn tron. I did everything right which got ST and Metallica to work but now tron gives me machine terminated early after it's about to start. weird.

hmmmmm...not sure on that one, bud.

#969 8 years ago

Thanks PL I'll follow your instructions. Did you check out the video for that Stern Kiss in Progress ?? know that guy. hes awesome and a Wiz with VP..

#970 8 years ago
    Quoted from gregh43:

Thanks PL I'll follow your instructions. Did you check out the video for that Stern Kiss in Progress ?? know that guy. hes awesome and a Wiz with VP..

yeah, i saw it. can't wait to get my hands on it...looks great.

#971 8 years ago

Cool me too.. untill then just have to wait it out.. Hope he posts some more videos of it.

#972 8 years ago

I can definitely wait until the rules are fleshed out and its close to the original game. Nothing is worse then having a pretty table, with great shots and no rules, mods or multi-balls to get the blood flowing. TWD was a perfect example of a Pin that went from Zero to Hero once Lyman got his sweet coding chops on it.

The work Lyman did on Metallica is some of the best code I have ever played. I hope you guys are playing that recreation and getting the cranks it ups completed to see what he did there. Finishing that game is challenge you can tell you grand kids about Nobody I know has been able to finish Metallica yet, the gauntlet has been thrown. (3 ball of course).

#973 8 years ago
    Quoted from pudluther:

thanks paulo.
    i have vp10 up and running, but so far i have not seen any DOF effects...i'm sure it's user error.................again.
    i would love to see your vids on the comparison. if you happen to do a setup guide video for TPA, i would love to see that as well.

I asked this question a few months ago and the response was that VP10 tables doesn't support DOF effects yet.

#974 8 years ago

As Fren stated earlier in the thread - "VP has almost nothing to do with DOF. DOF is a b2s plugin, and since you're using the same b2s for VP9, VP10, PM5, whatever else it will always work the same."

In other words, if you have DOF working in any previous version of VP, it will work in VP10 as well.

#975 8 years ago
    Quoted from delt31:

I gave the final t2 and other Pinball arcade games for comparison and PA still wipes VPX away with just finish and polish. I applaud the guys creating these tables for Visual Pinball use but must be missing something big when others say VP is better than PA.

Actually I am the one saying that even VP ver Phymod 5 still kicks the butt of TPA in every category; Graphics, Physics, Playability etc, etc...

95+ polished PM5 tables can be downloaded here including TZ and T2 Chrome -> https://mega.co.nz/#F!fgI0RaqC!hk0_TR9YDaiBl8emF-lRHg

I have all 66 TPA tables installed in my cab using the FreeCamMod in full screen and apples to apples its not even close It's not even fair when you add in DOF with force feedback, light shows and shaker motor.

#976 8 years ago

Thanks Paulo for sharing the link for the
    PM5 Tables. Can't wait to get some of those.
    I like the PM5 tables.

#977 8 years ago
    Quoted from paulohotline:

Actually I am the one saying that even VP ver Phymod 5 still kicks the butt of TPA in every category; Graphics, Physics, Playability etc, etc...
    95+ polished PM5 tables can be downloaded here including TZ and T2 Chrome -> https://mega.co.nz/#F!fgI0RaqC!hk0_TR9YDaiBl8emF-lRHg
    I have all 66 TPA tables installed in my cab using the FreeCamMod in full screen and apples to apples its not even close It's not even fair when you add in DOF with force feedback, light shows and shaker motor.

Will give those tables a try and report back thanks. Thoroughly one sided for PA as of now so hopefully these respond and look better bc to your point DOF doesn't work on PA .

#978 8 years ago

I downloaded these tables and I would like to try them out. But I am just starting out so I don't have any VP installed yet. Should I install the latest version of VP 9 with Physmod 5 to run these? It is not clear to me yet if Physmod 5 works with VP 10.

Since I am just starting with VP, should I go ahead and install VP 8, 9, and 10 so I can start looking at tables?

#979 8 years ago

Demolition Man just got released in VP10 and its a beauty - http://www.vpforums.org/index.php?app=downloads&showfile=11632

#980 8 years ago

As Fren stated earlier in the thread - "VP has almost nothing to do with DOF. DOF is a b2s plugin, and since you're using the same b2s for VP9, VP10, PM5, whatever else it will always work the same."
    In other words, if you have DOF working in any previous version of VP, it will work in VP10 as well.

gotcha. thanks.

i guess i have something set up incorrectly. i have no force feedback or light show of any kind in vp10.

#981 8 years ago
    Quoted from xsvtoys:

It is not clear to me yet if Physmod 5 works with VP 10.

these other fellas can answer these types of questions a lot better than i.....but from my understanding, it's a completely different version of vp.

#982 8 years ago

Demolition Man just got released in VP10 and its a beauty - http://www.vpforums.org/index.php?app=downloads&showfile=11632

thanks. always appreciate the heads up on new table releases.

#983 8 years ago

I still haven't been able to get the cab mod to work on my cab for TPA so I only play it on my IPAD. The physics are pretty good. Graphically, I think they cut way to many corners for being paid for those tables. Especially the earlier tables with ramps being jagged, some items don't even connect with each other. Also, the missing nuts and bolts on some tables bug me as they left the holes in the plastics from the scans. Some tables are much better than others so I guess they have different people working on different tables. Overall, the graphics are nice and normally better than VP but since it's paid for I expect more fit and finish. I still enjoy it and have most of the tables.

As far as the physics of VP. One thing everyone needs to understand is that every builder builds tables different and most of that difference is going to be with the physics. If you haven't learned to tweak those settings I encourage you to as you can then dial in your games to play as you like. Most VP PM5 and VPX tables can be adjusted to play just as well as TPA tables or play to your liking. The one big limitation with VP 9.9 (and why I don't build anything in VP 9.9) is with the flipper accuracy. It is just not there. PM5 and VPX corrected that behavior.

#984 8 years ago

85vett's Physmod5 tables are some of the best out there.
    Just not enough VP 10 tables out yet for me to switch, but I'm sure that will change later on.

#985 8 years ago
    Quoted from 85vett:

The one big limitation with VP 9.9 (and why I don't build anything in VP 9.9) is with the flipper accuracy. It is just not there. PM5 and VPX corrected that behavior.

do you mean like simply NOT being able to hit a certain shot, no matter where you hit it on the flipper? as a for instance, DESW...i think it's a vp9.x table. i have a real DESW and it's relatively easy to hit the ramp from either flipper, from either a catch or while the ball is moving from the lane...but on the vp version, i can only hit the ramp randomly...and never from where it should be (or even close to where it should be) on the flipper.

#986 8 years ago

*accidental double post.

#987 8 years ago

Thanks 85Vett. you have any info you can post for settings to change to improve a table? Is there any settings to change to speed up the ball so the game plays faster. i seem to get alot of slow play on mine. Thanks

#988 8 years ago
    Quoted from pudluther:

do you mean like simply NOT being able to hit a certain shot, no matter where you hit it on the flipper? as a for instance, DESW...i think it's a vp9.x table. i have a real DESW and it's relatively easy to hit the ramp from either flipper, from either a catch or while the ball is moving from the lane...but on the vp version, i can only hit the ramp randomly...and never from where it should be (or even close to where it should be) on the flipper.

That is 100% it. There are adjustments that can be made but you are basically giving up center shot accuracy for outer shots or visa versa. Practically nobody believed me when I vocalized this as an issue in VP when VP9 was still being worked on. I was basically laughed off the board at VPforums. I then vocalized it again when the guy doing the phys Mod versions was developing things. Same reaction until he created a computer controlled table and discovered exactly what was occurring. I don't recall the exact reason for the issue but I thought it had something to do with the refresh rates of the game. Makes things so much more fun when you can cradle a ball and hit what you are shooting for.

Quoted from gregh43:

Thanks 85Vett. you have any info you can post for settings to change to improve a table? Is there any settings to change to speed up the ball so the game plays faster. i seem to get a lot of slow play on mine. Thanks

Physic are so personal to everyone as we all like things a little different. This is true for real pinball too. I can't stress it enough that if you truely want to get the most out of your VP experience that you learn to adjust physics settings to your liking. There are a lot more things to adjust then most people think which can cause drastic differences in game play. For example, every colidable item in VPX can have it's physics adjusted. For PM5 everything but ramps can as well. Let's take a wall. There are even multiple adjustments in there. I apologize in advance as I haven't touched them in 6+ months so I don't recall their names but there are adjustments for the elasticity, randomness and spin. Elasticity is intuitive as it is labeled as such but the other two are not labled intuitively. I don't like a lot of spin so I reduce the settings to reduce it's spin and then for items that wont cause a random bounce I adjust those to not be very random (lane guide for instance). Then I prefer a mild bounce (white rubbers on a real table) so I put my elasticity between .06 and .07 normally for walls that create a rubber and then .01 for walls that create metal objects. Hopefully that comes out making some sort of sense.

Now for ball speed. That can be adjusted several ways but the two easiest and quickest ways is to: One is to increase the slope of the table. Same as taking your real game from 6.5 degrees to 7.5. Will speed up the ball, get less side to side action, makes the ball feel heavier, less bounce on rubbers, etc. And/or two - you can decrease the friction of the PF. This will make the PF more slick. Kind of like playing on a freshly clear coated and waxed PF vs an old routed PF that hasn't been cleaned. Doing this also reduces the spin on the layer that is the PF. one adjustment effects others so it's normally a dance getting things just how you like.

Now if you change some of these adjustments you will need to adjust the flippers

Ultimately you just have to play with things. Makes some adjustments and save the table (rename it to keep the original table in tact if you don't trust your adjustments) and then go from there.

P.S. - This doesn't even cover the game play adjustments that are doing in scripts My suggestion is to start with PF adjustments, then go into wall and ramp adjustments and then once you get comfortable with those you can start changing other things.

#989 8 years ago

If their are more specific questions I'll try to help answer them the best I can. Between Fren and I we should be able to answer most things as he and I both do a lot of physics work to our games. This is a really good example of what I'm talking about with personal preferences. His tables will play very different than one I've built. Neither is right just as neither is wrong. We just prefer different game play characteristics.

One additional tip would be to find some tables that fit your style the best. You can then look at those setting which can give you a good place to start.

#990 8 years ago

85Vett thanks so much. appreciate you taking the time to share your knowlege about this. I'll do some experimenting and see what looks good like you said. Now once you change something in the settings does it save it? or give you the option case you dont want it?

#991 8 years ago
    Quoted from Arcade:

85vett's Physmod5 tables are some of the best out there.
    Just not enough VP 10 tables out yet for me to switch, but I'm sure that will change later on.

You don't have to have to switch, you can run VP Physmod tables, along with VP and VP10 all through PinballX. I just put VP10 in its own directory and let VPINMAME & Roms along with DOF plugin stay where they are installed with the original VP install. I have the VP10 executable and tables\backglasses installed in their own separate directory. With PinballX you setup VP10 as an "other system" and it should work fine. Some of my fav tables are PH5, not to mention Star Wars Data East which is only playing with VP9.9. All these versions along with Future Pinball, PinballFX2, The Pinball Arcade can all work with one PinballX installation. It's a one stop shop!

VP_PBX_Setup_(resized).jpgVP_PBX_Setup_(resized).jpg
    VP_PBX_Setup_7_(resized).jpgVP_PBX_Setup_7_(resized).jpg

VP_PBX_Setup_3_(resized).jpgVP_PBX_Setup_3_(resized).jpg
    VP_PBX_Setup_4_(resized).jpgVP_PBX_Setup_4_(resized).jpg
    VP_PBX_Setup_5_(resized).jpgVP_PBX_Setup_5_(resized).jpg
    VP_PBX_Setup_6_(resized).jpgVP_PBX_Setup_6_(resized).jpg

#992 8 years ago

You don't have to have to switch, you can run VP Physmod tables, along with VP and VP10 all through PinballX. I just put VP10 in its own directory and let VPINMAME along with DOF plugin stay where they are installed with the original VP install. I have the VP10 executable and tables\backglasses installed in their own separate directory. With PinballX you setup VP10 as an "other system" and it should work fine. Some of my fav tables are PH5, not to mention Star Wars Data East which is only playing with VP9.9. All these versions along with PinballFX2, The Pinball Arcade can all work with one PinballX installation. It's a one stop shop.

i have mine set up the same as you...running everything through pinballX...it's great being able to run all of those together.

any idea why DOF works on other versions of vp for me but i get nothing from vp10? does your star trek and metallica vp10 have DOF?

#993 8 years ago

"any idea why DOF works on other versions of vp for me but i get nothing from vp10? does your star trek and metallica vp10 have DOF?"

I have my VPINMAME, B2SBackglassServerEXE.exe and DOF plugin installed with the original VP install. All I installed with VP10 in its own directory was the exe and tables directories. Every other directory in the VP10 install is empty there. I have DOF working on VP, VP5 and VP10 tables no problems.

#994 8 years ago

"any idea why DOF works on other versions of vp for me but i get nothing from vp10? does your star trek and metallica vp10 have DOF?"
    I have my VPINMAME, B2SBackglassServerEXE.exe and DOF plugin installed with the original VP install. All I installed with VP10 in its own directory was the exe and tables directories. Every other directory in the VP10 install is empty there. I have DOF working on VP, VP5 and VP10 tables no problems.

i'm pretty sure that's what i did. i have a main "vp" folder that houses everything. it was set up by the vpcabs prior to my purchasing the cab.

i created a new sub-folder within my original "vp" folder back when vp10 was in beta...i think it's labeled vp10 BETA...it has my tables in there for vp10...all my other tables are still in the original "tables" folder that vpcabs set up.

i downloaded the vp10 full release from vpinball.com and followed their instructions to overwrite the files that were duplicated in the vp10 release. i didn't touch anything else.

DOF is fine in vp9.x and physmod5, but i don't have anything in vp10. no lights, no feedback at all.

i have no doubt that it's user error on my part........i just don't know how or where i effed it up.

#995 8 years ago

played demo man posted here and def a step in the right direction. Graphics aren't close to the polish of PA though but physics are def better than what I've seen elsewhere for VPX.

Anyway to get the sound on the demo table higher as the music in particular and sound effects seem low yet my volume is cranked. In addition, the table doesn't seem to work well on a vertical/cab look (entire monitor is not taken up).

#996 8 years ago

Those games are new and the DOF files have been added since you set up your system. Go to the DOF page and download a new configuration.

http://configtool.vpuniverse.com/login.php

#997 8 years ago

OK - so I went through all of the games attached via mega (the physics mod ones) and they are def the best ones I've played thus far. Quality and physics are def a step up and good enough for me to enjoy. In fact for the ones not available on pinball arcade, it's a great way to enjoy them. That being said, the VP tables attached here that are also available are PA don't even compare to the quality that is PA. Keep in mind I am playing PA maxed out on my PC (not tablet, etc). Graphics are better on PA (more polished/complete) - take the getaway for example. On VP, you can see where the author sliced together the scans and items where in PA, it's all one package and looks seemless/professional. Yes VP is free but I rather pay and get a maxed out table. More importantly the physics are consistent and overall much better on PA than VP. I can understand how DOF can make the VP fun but to say PA doesn't compare to these VP tables is absolutely crazy. Thanks for posting these though b/c games like back to the future and turtles, etc are good enough for me to enjoy.

#998 8 years ago

Oh my gosh !! Delta brother !! Chill the heck out man ! Glad u have an opinion. But have u gone in and adjusted the FREE tables to your liking? Are u playing on a real pinball cab or just hitting the shift keys on a laptop ? . Do u have dof? Im guessing u got 40% of the true experience. That's like seeing 20 minutes of a movie and giving the opinion if it's good or bad.
    Peace out.

#999 8 years ago

It's all good I just keep on reading how VP is much better than PA and just comparing each in the same fashion (table quality physics), I don't agree and just listing that here. I still will very much play VP for games not on PA and thanks to this thread I have great versions of them.

#1000 8 years ago
    Quoted from sc204:

Those games are new and the DOF files have been added since you set up your system. Go to the DOF page and download a new configuration.
    http://configtool.vpuniverse.com/login.php

thanks for the link...not really sure how to use the site, but i did sign up.

any idea why the other vp10 tables aren't working with DOF for me? it sounds like other people just download the vp10 re-releases and their DOF automatically works...not just the new tables like star trek, but the older stuff too...the re-releases.

There are 3,991 posts in this topic. You are on page 20 of 80.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/virtual-pinball-club/page/20 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.