Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 3,989 posts
  • 352 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 days ago by Smaug
  • Topic is favorited by 271 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

TFTC FlyerA (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    IMG_0466 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0465 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0464 (resized).JPG
    Top10pro (resized).png
    Top10pro (resized).png
    20240129_125402.png
    Fireballxl5 (resized).png
    2023-12-31 19.32.48 (resized).jpg
    2023-11-17 22.19.51 (resized).jpg
    2023-11-11 03.07.25 (resized).jpg
    2023-11-11 01.58.53 (resized).jpg
    poster2 (resized).png
    411392839_735139934899280_8496203559983449797_n (resized).jpg
    There are 3,989 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 80.
    #1 10 years ago

Want to show off your Hyperpin?

Looking to build/purchase/sell?

Trying to figure out if they will cure the pinball addiction?

Pimped out your Virtual pin with new gear?

This is the thread to show off your stuff.
    Give or get advise:
    pros/cons buying, building, modding, etc... Let's hear it.

Got a cab built for cheap - this would be the thread showing the love.

The best part up virtual pinball, IMO, is the code update. In the past few years we went from no toys to RGB flashers, shakers, force feedback, gear motors, knockers, and what's next?

#2 10 years ago

I'll start off with:
    I spent the past few hours backing up the SSD, following with DOF (Direct Output Framework) installation:
    http://directoutput.github.io/DirectOutput/index.html

I believe that my cab might have a tad bit "snappier" solenoid response time. Really need a second opionion, since I'm probably biased - not really sure if it was worth the upgrade time (since I have to manually setup the older B2S tables) The newer tables were a breeze.

FWIW: Here's a vid of my cab

#3 10 years ago

My pinball test platform. MAME / VP machine. This one is built on what I had laying around. 15" and 24" monitors drove the shape of the box. Windows XP OS on a quad processor motherboard. Doubles as my juke box (hooked up to rooms sound system. I can never seem to finish the side art. All the hardware is packed pretty tight in this cab. Lot's of measuring, don't think I would build another one. I love loading FS files from VP Forums and playing. Even made a FLASH Visual Pinball FS version based on my custom FLASH machine.

The great advantage for me has been having favorites when I've never played the real thing. When a title comes up at a good price I pretty much know if I'm going to like it or not. Therefore I have been able to move on a buy. Not a perfect method but I have not been let down yet. And it is a nice way to collect more titles despite the lack of room and money.

VP_Machine.jpgVP_Machine.jpg 100_1834.JPG100_1834.JPG IAN_MB_12.jpgIAN_MB_12.jpg
    #4 10 years ago

Is a 60hz monitor for the play field fast enough or do you have to have a 120hz?

#5 10 years ago

Awesome Kick A$$ Virtual BOOGIES!! you making any to sell??

#6 10 years ago

I don't have a vp cab, but I play vp all the time and I am a vp author. Can I be in the club?

#7 10 years ago
    Quoted from LukeInOklahoma:

Is a 60hz monitor for the play field fast enough or do you have to have a 120hz?

60hz is fine - It's really all about the responce time, not the refresh rate. The TV response time should be as low as possible. It's usually a hidden number that the manufacuters don't like to disclose, so it's definately a headache to research.
    Usually the budget TV's will be 60hz, but they may also have a slower response time.

#8 10 years ago
    Quoted from hassanchop:

I am a vp author. Can I be in the club?

LOL - you wrote the book, um I mean table. Of course, you're in.
    I believe you also did graphics for other authors too, right?

#9 10 years ago

I really enjoy mine. I have a 37" playfield that I bought as a scratch-n-dent (not the screen, just the case) off of eBay for $200 and a 22" 16x10 Back glass for $100 and the PC I built from parts bought at Newegg.com for $500-600. I had a couple of video cards that are now running in Crossfire. I made it so I could easily remove the PC for an extra gaming rig, plus having easy access to the headphone jack, USB and good airflow is a major help.

vp.jpgvp.jpg

#10 10 years ago

I've wondered why there's no option to add a "virtual pin" to your pinside collection profile

We really are the red headed step children of Pinside

Sorry to anyone with red hair

#11 10 years ago

Here's a vid of mine, built from a gutted Data East Playboy 35th anniversary pincab I got off of Craigslist.

Was running Future Pinball when the video was shot but I've since switched up to Pinball Arcade. Even without the full cabinet mode in it yet, the games play so much better that it was worth it.

#12 10 years ago
    Quoted from PW79:

I've wondered why there's no option to add a "virtual pin" to your pinside collection profile

I asked Robin about this a year ago. he said no as they aren't real machines.

#13 10 years ago
    Quoted from PW79:

I have so far resisted adding my virtual pin as my third machine, but really it is. When I go into my arcade I turn all three on and play them all a few times each every evening. Actually I play the VP more.

#14 10 years ago
    Quoted from 85vett:

I asked Robin about this a year ago. he said no as they aren't real machines.

Neither are a half dozen preorders that haven't been made lol

#15 10 years ago

Here's a couple picks of my machine and a video of it in action.

Here is a link to my buid as well. - http://www.hyperspin-fe.com/forum/showthread.php?18220-Hot-Rodding-Pinball-cabinet-build-%2846-32-19%29

Not sure how this site feels about links to other sites but I'm pretty proud of my most recent releases on one of the main VP sites I'll respect pinside and wont post links though.

157054-i.jpg157054-i.jpg157055-i.jpg157055-i.jpg

#16 10 years ago
    Quoted from gregh43:

Awesome Kick A$$ Virtual BOOGIES!! you making any to sell??

Thanks! I have sold some in the past, and might be able to help you out if you were local....
    There might be someone joining the club local to you with one for sale

#17 10 years ago
    Quoted from boogies:

LOL - you wrote the book, um I mean table. Of course, you're in.
    I believe you also did graphics for other authors too, right?

Hmmm... I thought author meant graphics guy, designer also, not only the code guy. So that means I am not an author after all, just art guy and designer
    Yeah I did art for a few of them. And I did the design/art/rules on the original Scarface, with jpsalas on the coding.

#18 10 years ago

Made mine last year. 3 monitor mini-cab. Recently added another button for nudge left, right and up. Not that fancy but gets the job done. The computer is a bit dated but it runs Pinball Arcade on medium/low settings. I may have to upgrade it when true cabinet is released.

#19 10 years ago
    Quoted from Jean-Luc-Picard:

Made mine last year. 3 monitor mini-cab. Recently added another button for nudge left, right and up. Not that fancy but gets the job done. The computer is a bit dated but it runs Pinball Arcade on medium/low settings. I may have to upgrade it when true cabinet is released.
    » YouTube video

I have some mini mercury switches that u can have. They were cheap, so I bought extras. Shipping from AU was the only killer
    I can bring them to the tournament finals. Are u planning on coming?

#20 10 years ago

Oh hey, I forget who is who sometimes with all our internet handles. I remember you talking about them, I think I am happy with the buttons but hell why not I assume you can just hook it up to the ipac? I am not sure, I forgot when is it?

Man, you really pimped out your Vcab I cant wait till Pinball Arcade releases true cabinet mode. I actually uninstalled Virtual Pinball because pinball arcade runs better on my system. Its a quad-core gaming machine but it has integrated video. Was about $280 so I guess can't complain. I don't plan on doing much more to this, I am in the process of building my Beer Fridge Arcade machine now lol.

#21 10 years ago

Yup, just hook 'em up to ipac, then level them out to the point of a bump setting them off.

Wow, I never seen a 3 monitor setup running with only intergrated video. Thats an achievement

#22 10 years ago

2 output from the motherboard and a 3rd "backglass" is a USB video adapter. May have been better to just do 2 monitor but its works lol.

#23 10 years ago

when mounting the playfield screen, should it be flat or follow the slope of the cabinet?

#24 10 years ago

anyone have any vertical shooters setup?

#25 10 years ago
    Quoted from cwg29:

Even made a FLASH Visual Pinball FS version based on my custom FLASH machine.

I remember seeing your FLASH build project - but don't have a link to it. It was (still is) bad@ss! Love the artwork - it's been a while, but I'm thinking that your current pinMame cab has the same style artwork. I think that your's is the first tabletop-2 monitor build that I've seen.

FWIW: I believe that there was a HyperSpin 2 monitor project that BadBoyBilly worked on - displaying the Marquee artwork on the top monitor - do you have that setup and running too?

#26 10 years ago
    Quoted from magnoliarichj:

anyone have any vertical shooters setup?

I was screwing around with one of my systems - a LOOOONG time ago, and put MAME with galaga. You could use the flippers to go left and right and magna flips for firing. I couldn't figure out how to get it to work in HyperPin at the time - just by itself

Since then I've dug further into the fplaunch and figured out how to hook Settingson's dwjukebox wrapper into the hyperpin. I could probably figure out how to get Galage to run in hyperpin - ughh, now that's a brain tease

#27 10 years ago

I was thinking more along the lines of raiden4

#28 10 years ago

when mounting the playfield screen, should it be flat or follow the slope of the cabinet?

It's a matter of personal preference. I prefer to have it a little lower in the back than the front with newer cabinets. The older 70s cabs were pretty flat, so for those I would probably follow the same slope of the cab.
    It's definetaly better to have a little gap for air flow cooling between the glass and monitor.

#29 10 years ago
    Quoted from boogies:

60hz is fine - It's really all about the responce time, not the refresh rate. The TV response time should be as low as possible. It's usually a hidden number that the manufacuters don't like to disclose, so it's definately a headache to research.
    Usually the budget TV's will be 60hz, but they may also have a slower response time.

ok, been researching a bit. I found a few ranging from 4ms to 6.5ms to 8ms. Is there going to be a noticeable difference between these three? and these were 40". is this the optimal size once it is de-cased?

#30 10 years ago
    Quoted from PW79:

Neither are a half dozen preorders that haven't been made lol

Zing!

I've probably played a few thousand games on my not-real virtua pin vs some folks who paid for a "real" pinball machine 3 yrs ago and still don't have a tracking number....

#31 10 years ago

Thanks Boogies. as far I know theres
    no VP owners in my area. could have it shipped by
    NAVL if you have one to sell down the road.. so far yours is
    #1 and 2nd place is 85 Vett.. just my
    opinion. also looking for some feedback
    on the Guns N Roses table. is it pretty
    close to the real one.? i have seen the
    table but didnt look that great. I heard there
    was a updated table out anyone seen or
    know anything about it. I have a G N R pinball
    id be willing sell it if the VP Table is as close
    to the real deal..

#32 10 years ago

Here is a Pub table I cut a hole in while the wife was away. Slapped in a 42" 1080 Monitor. Bought a piece of glass. Installed some flipper/tilt, coin insert, start and launch ball buttons. Later on in the pics i made two joystick box out of some old wooden cigar boxes. I would like to go wireless and use the good joystick I have if anyone knows a good hack.

My original plan was to build a regular wide body cabinet... But I wanted a dual purpose Pinball and Mame games. And some thing that was more central to the family area of the house. I think this turned out pretty good. It's not the best viewing angle to play pinball but I'm 6-4 so it's not bad... I still have a WB cabinet so maybe down the road I'll build an appropriate pin-sim. I just have all my spare space filled with standard pins.

IMG_4636.JPGIMG_4636.JPGIMG_0407-218.JPGIMG_0407-218.JPGIMG_0844-815.JPGIMG_0844-815.JPG

#33 10 years ago

I just joined the club yesterday and had Brad from VP cabs drop off a VP2000 with full force feed back and am really enjoying the machine a lot,this degisen reflex the dmd onto the back of the cab above the playfield so I can see the display with out looking up,works well

#34 10 years ago

The dmd reflecting off the pf glass only works out with a couple tables. The dmd belongs on the backbox not the pf. The idea behind vp is to make the pinball look and play like the real thing. The vp2000 doesn't do that in my opinion, reflecting the dmd on the pf with all the games is not correct. But this is my 2 cents

#35 10 years ago

I like it,I guess that all that matters.

Thanks

#36 10 years ago
    Quoted from Brtlkat:

The dmd reflecting off the pf glass only works out with a couple tables. The dmd belongs on the backbox not the pf. The idea behind vp is to make the pinball look and play like the real thing. The vp2000 doesn't do that in my opinion, reflecting the dmd on the pf with all the games is not correct. But this is my 2 cents

I have built a few full sized PinMAME cabs in the past and my last one uses a SWE1 P2K donor cab. I always wanted my PinMAME cab to stand out or be different from my real pins and the look and shape of this cab is perfect for my application. Most of my friends who come over don't even realize the DMD is a reflection and some even say how come they don't put the DMD in the same location on the real ones? If the DMD belongs on the backbox then what was JPOP thinking when he made CV?

The DMD reflection works fine with any DMD table as it does not obstruct your view or take anything away from game play. If anything it makes it easier for you to enjoy some of the great animations without having to take your eyes off the ball during play. Here is a video I made when I was initially testing out where my reflection would be cast and sure enough I got it exactly where I wanted it on the first try

For the games without DMD I either use an active backglass such as UVP or B2S but if I really have to I just reflect the alphanumeric displays where the DMD is. I've been in the MAME/PinMAME scene since '07 and seen many great projects and adopted other people's ideas in my own projects which I thought were great.

#37 10 years ago

ok, been researching a bit. I found a few ranging from 4ms to 6.5ms to 8ms. Is there going to be a noticeable difference between these three? and these were 40". is this the optimal size once it is de-cased?

I dont know how much noticeable difference there will be, but it will be a noticeable amount. IMO, you should probably spend the same amount on your tv as your computer - if your computer is high end, dont go withcheap tv. If you are doing budget build, probably not going to miss much getting the slower tv

#38 10 years ago
    Quoted from rockrand:

I like it,I guess that all that matters.
    Thanks

That is all that matters. I actually went with a P2K so it would have less of a traditional feel to it. I didn't get mine to try and make it be like real pinball. VP is its own little beast. Very fun in its own right.

1 week later
    #39 10 years ago
    Quoted from hassanchop:

Hmmm... I thought author meant graphics guy, designer also, not only the code guy. So that means I am not an author after all, just art guy and designer
    Yeah I did art for a few of them. And I did the design/art/rules on the original Scarface, with jpsalas on the coding.

I got my flame suit on - Ready for some BURNER.
    You got another hot original going.

#40 10 years ago

I'm still building mine, drafted it in sketchup. I'll be doing a mini pin, already have the monitor (think it's 23", but now can't remember), and will just be using an external computer. Basically, using the cabinet as a sort of peripheral.

I started cutting my cabinet, but had a pretty severe allergic reaction to the MDF. I'm trying to get my dust collection system in place and a better mask before I start that again.

#41 10 years ago

I've built 4 in the past 2 years. I'm keeping my galaxy, but selling my mystic. I sold the mini and the solar ride a few months ago.

IMAG0167.jpgIMAG0167.jpg IMAG0479.jpgIMAG0479.jpg IMAG0565.jpgIMAG0565.jpg IMAG0886.jpgIMAG0886.jpg
    1 week later
    #42 10 years ago

My humble little setup. Me and the squirts love our VP.
    image.jpgimage.jpg

1 week later
    #43 10 years ago

I would like to build a Guns N Roses
    theme Virtual Pinball. Anyone know where I could get the Rose
    or Pistol from to use as the plunger? or any decals from the orginal
    pinball.. thanks. Also interested in a Widebody cabinet based off
    a STTNG pinball.. anyone have one to sell or can build? .. please
    let me know

#44 10 years ago
    Quoted from gregh43:

Also interested in a Widebody cabinet based off
    let me know

These guys sell DIY kits and they have a wide body option.

http://virtuapin.net/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=2&zenid=f77de0136bb0eff88332142552f07782

#45 10 years ago

Thanks Jim.. i'll check em out..

#46 10 years ago
    Quoted from PinballPais:

My humble little setup. Me and the squirts love our VP.

What do they think of that Banzai, they are playing??

Scott
    Detroit Pinball

#47 10 years ago

Mameman also does the flat packs http://www.xtremepinball.com/

#48 10 years ago

They first played Banzai at PAGG last year and were hooked!
    VP version obviously it near as cool but they are having fun with it. They love MM the most. With all of the force feedback and a nice 8inch sub it gives a lot of thump. A happy crew. We do what we can with limited space.

#49 10 years ago
    Quoted from gregh43:

I would like to build a Guns N Roses
    theme Virtual Pinball. Anyone know where I could get the Rose
    or Pistol from to use as the plunger? or any decals from the orginal
    pinball.. thanks. Also interested in a Widebody cabinet based off
    let me know

www.phoenixarcade.com has the GnR decal kit

#50 10 years ago

Cool! Thanks

There are 3,989 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 80.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/virtual-pinball-club and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.