Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 19 posts
  • 13 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 12 years ago by boogies
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 13 years ago

Hey Guys,
    Check this thing out, someone made this over here in California....Different but cool.

2010 Custom Electronic Pinball "E-Pin"

This cabinet was custom made by myself: The cutting of the wood, PC builing, software installation, painting, artwork designing, etc...
    There are currently 79 installed tables, which are all availble free on the internet.
    The system boots directly into HyperPin, then you use the flipper to select a table, start to run it, and an exit button quits the current game to select a different game.
    Once you are done playing, simply press the exit button again and select the "Shutdown", then the system turns off with a smart strip (see below)
    The cabinet is mostly 3/4" MDF, utilizing 1/2" MDF around the monitors.

System Details
    Intel Core 2 Duo @ 2.93 Ghz
    nVidia 9800 GT
    2 Gb DDR 2 @ 800 Mz
    500 GB HD
    Nano-Tec Digital Controller (plunger will be included, but not installed)
    Happ Arcade Buttons
    28" Wide 1920 x 1200 Resolution playfield (2 ms response time)
    19" 4:3 1280 x 1024 Resolution Backglass
    Smart Strip (automatically powers off the monitors and speakers when PC turns off)
    Elvira Topper

Here is a video of my finished cabinet:

Here is a video of the insides:

Here is a video of a couple games in action:

#2 13 years ago

A great invention but it won't catch on because:

1. It's still takes up the same space as a real pinball machine.
    2. Kids have their game systems they prefer with things like the Williams etc collections out there for them. ($%*!&^ spoiled kids)
    3. The real enthusiasts want the actual physical feel of a machine.

Sorry to be such a downer .. I think it's super cool but it just won't be what people want these days with the Xbox 360, PS3, etc. It would be a great item for those of us who love pinball and combining it with video and computer technology. I found it interesting they have a RFM pin2000 next to it.

I'd buy one though if the price was right.

#3 13 years ago

I saw that too Loren, looks pretty cool. To be honest I never found myself liking pin simulators similar to this E Pin or even games for the X Box 360 for that mater. The feel and look really seem to be lacking. I can definitely see the allure of having one though being able to try out so many classic Pins. But for me it just feels too fake to really enjoy them. But hey, if anyone plays these type of simulations and like them then I can definitely see why they may get something like this E Pin.

#4 13 years ago

I know what you mean...I have never played one but I would guess it isn't close to playing a normal pin. The one cool thing is you could have so many different pins to chose from.

#5 13 years ago

One day with the evolution of 3D, virtual reality, and a combination of true force feedback...we might get close to emulating a pinball machine. Until then, video pinball and RL pinball are still too distant from one another. Video pinball is improving with physics, but still hasn't gotten any farther than pinball simulations on the old Nintendo.

#6 13 years ago

I really like the pinball museum games for the xbox 360. It is an easy way to have a Taxi, MM, TOTAN, BK, FH, PB, NGG, WW, etc... without having to spend tons of money. The physics aren't perfect, but they are a lot better than some of the other emulators. They are also a lot better than not having virtual tables.

At some point I would like to own one of every pin out there, not real practical, so I guess I am stuck with virtual pins for now.

#7 13 years ago

Can't hate on visual pinball, it is a great way to get a feel for the game and the rules without owning it, I suggest playing the VP version of any table before thinking about buying it for real just for some background information. I would never spend the money on a machine for this purpose, I have a nice computer with a big screen so it works well enough for me to get the gist of a game relatively quick. Check out the Visual Pinball websites though such as VPForum, very fun way to kill some time, going on a tour of the pinball world!

#8 13 years ago

yeah...amoung other things I actually watch vp videos on youtube of games I am interested in before deciding to buy
    I tried to install it once but couldn't get it going - that would have been great while I was traveling alot for work.

#9 13 years ago

he wants trades for real pins...enough said.

#10 13 years ago

You watch the videos of the VPs? Really? There are so many videos of the real tables, I am surprised that you watch the VP videos.

#11 13 years ago

I know I watch the real videos, and just play the VPs. I suggest doing both. Download the VPs and play and for sure watch videos of the real one, these two things combined are the best you can do without actually playing a real one!

#12 13 years ago

I have Visual Pinball and Future Pinball on my Mame cab. They are awesome programs, no where near as good as the real thing. But still cool to try the games, learn the rules, and get a feel for the layout.

#13 13 years ago

donjagra - well thats why I said among other things (actual videos, reviews, pics), I watch the vp videos too if I'm not familiar enough with a game that I am interested in. They actually do a really good job with the dmd, sounds, and give a good sense of the gameplay.

8 months later
    #14 12 years ago

Wow, I can't believe that I found my old toy here.
    I ended up building a bigger (full sized) one, with 3 monitors, an SSD, and its AWESOME!
    I had to sell my NGG to finance it, but I now can say it was worth it.
    I just finished building an xBox 360 Arcade cabinet, and now I'm caught up with projects, and kinda want to start another project.

I remember hearing someone explain "Visual Pinball cabinets are like a racing game, its not the real thing, but it's a hell of a lot of fun."

I have a full size, 3 monitor setup with a 37" playfield, 28" Backbox, and a 17" DMD. It sits in a Gottlieb Cabinet, and features Williams Backbox and Legs. There is a Stern Speaker panel, as well as a sound system that is louder than a real pin. It has adjustable tilt sensors, so that you can shake the pin and it works great! It has a four button layout, so games like the shadow can utilize the divereters, or Black Knight can use the Magna save.

It looks like pinball, feels like pinball, but it is still not the real deal. I owned a F-14 Tomcat, and the Hyperpin physics are FLAWLESS - perfect to say the least. It plays exacty the same as the real one - I couldn't really see any difference (other than the topper). I would still chose to play a real F-14 Tomcat over the hyperpin. The real pinball has depth in the ramps flashers that burst into your eyes, but the Hyperpins value is that it can play tons of different pins with exceptional quality.

#15 12 years ago

When I finish up my list of projects I'll have to take on something like this. What did you use for the nudge sensors?

#16 12 years ago

I used mini-mercury switches. When you shake the machine enough - Its a nudge.
    To check it out in action, check this link at 3:44 -

Here's more info on my hyperpin -

Feel free to check it out. If you are interested in this one, you can send me a Personal Message.

#17 12 years ago

I really wish one was close so I could play it to see. I will withhold judgement until I get to play one.

#18 12 years ago

boogies, did you figure everything out on your own or what web resources did you follow? I've seen a few how-to guides and am curious if you have any advice for those that are looking to throw one of these together. Instead of seeking out a MM and/or AFM this could be a sane alternative (but not a replacement for sure)!

#19 12 years ago

There is alot of info at http://www.hyperspin-fe.com
    This is not a weekend project, or even a project that most people attempt. There are a few people that are crazy enough to make it happen. I have alot of info on my youtube page - even a tutorial on how to add a table.
    As far as advise goes, do alot of reseach before you start. Make sure you know what you are getting into. Even for an experienced builder, these things can be a challenge. My wife wanted to kill me, and my "projects" many of times, somehow, she has started to become exceptant of my "projects".
    I have a background in computer programming - I also loved car stereo. I started my hobbies by building about 10 different Extreme speaker boxes - putting carputers into my systems. I then built a MAME arcade by hand (1st one was OK at best). I sold that one, and built a 2nd one that is beautiful (on youtube as well). Then I decided to build a mini-hyperpin (the one at the top of this post) I then built a full-sized 2 monitor (like ultrapin). This last build is a 3 monitor build that has been my pride I have put this current build on craigslist locally, figuring that there has to be someone in my area that couldn't put this together - and would appreciate it. I know that I would build another, but it is kinda scary thinking about being without my hyperpin, or if the next build would turn out as nice as this one.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/virtual-pinball and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.