(Topic ID: 19458)

Virtual pin completed. More video's added (Including Ripley's by request)

By 85vett

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 34 posts
  • 23 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by pdman
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

skull-head1.gif

#1 11 years ago

Finally completed my hyperpin build. This was my first attempt and I built everything from scratch. Got my custom graphics in and installed as well as my glass in so I figured I'd take a video of it and the gameplay. My video camera is junk so the stuttering you see is in it. The table plays super smooth. I'm loving the combination of it and my real tables as I can spend some time on a real one if I want but I can now afford to play AFM, MB, MM, TOTAN, etc. I've played them all in real life and to be honest I get almost as much pleasure playing them on this as the real thing. The feedback, shaker motor and RGB flashers really make it feel more real.

I know it's not everyones cup of tea but it was a fun build.

Video is uploaded at -

#2 11 years ago

Very nice!

#3 11 years ago

Looks incredibly cool. That cabinets is top notch with all the graphix.

#4 11 years ago

Very nice job. I've thought of doing the same but balked at the complexity. Well done!

#5 11 years ago

Very nice indeed! I'm picking up the wood this weekend for my new build Your video reminded me how fun they are to build and play.

#6 11 years ago

Glad to see you post a vid of your cab! I thought you went silent after seeing the artwork done on the HyperSpin forum. http://www.hyperspin-fe.com/forum/entry.php?36-Hyperpin-Custom-Designed-Artwork-for-Twilight-Zone-2125-amp-Ratfink-Hotrod-Pinball-cabs

I absolutely love the artwork - it's awesome!!! The leather kinda turned me off at first, but I am really digging it now. You finally get to reap the rewards of the labor.

A little tip, swap out the windows boot and shutdown sounds with some off your favorite pinball sound bytes. My startup sound: "You unlock this door with the key of imagination" quote from TZ

#7 11 years ago

Awesome. Great build, love the theme. You did a great job, envious of your skill.

#8 11 years ago

Thanks for the tip. Never thought of that so you know what I'll be doing this weekend. I'm thinking, "I'll be back" from Terminator for the exit. Maybe I'll take a sound bit from me reving one of my cars for the start up.

Was definitely a labor of love. I thought I was done a couple of times but was lucky enough to find some nice people to help bridge those gaps. The Win7 bugs nearly got me though.

#9 11 years ago

Looks nice. Monitors that large are a must. IMO

#10 11 years ago

How much in parts did that machine cost to build?

#12 11 years ago

what a beauty!!!
    really impressive job!!

and the first table you showed had to be no fear hehehehe
    i did the art for that one on vpf, along with grizz and jpsalas in the coding
    skull-head1.gifskull-head1.gif

#13 11 years ago

Great work, enjoy!

#14 11 years ago

Really nice job dude! I'm considering doing one of these to at least get some play on games that I now consider out of reach pricewise. Curious if either of the "real" games you own are in it, and how they feel in comparison.

Thanks for some actual game play video too. For some reason, nearly all the people that do virtual pin videos spend the whole time dicking around in the front end instead showing gameplay.

#15 11 years ago

very cool. I would like to get one some day.

#16 11 years ago

Looks great.

#17 11 years ago

This looks great you put a lot of hard work into it and it shows.
    If more people would play a quality build like this one to base their opinion on VP more people would build one.

#18 11 years ago

Sweet looking ride

Seeing a virtual pin cab like this definitely puts me in the "WANT" category.....great custom features and perfect accessory next to THE MACHINE. I see one in my future.

#19 11 years ago

Very cool! You did a great job on the cab and it seems to play great. Congrats!

#20 11 years ago
    Quoted from jeffgoldstein2:

How much in parts did that machine cost to build?

More than I want to add up. Close to $4K since I went all out with LED TV's, High end PC, custom decals and all the feedback. They can be built cheaper but I wanted everything in it.

#21 11 years ago
    Quoted from 85vett:

More than I want to add up. Close to $4K since I went all out with LED TV's, High end PC, custom decals and all the feedback. They can be built cheaper but I wanted everything in it.

You made the right decision to go all out. That is when they are a keeper and lots of fun to play.
    It is the people that don’t go all out that sell them in no time.

#22 11 years ago
    Quoted from TOK:

Really nice job dude! I'm considering doing one of these to at least get some play on games that I now consider out of reach pricewise. Curious if either of the "real" games you own are in it, and how they feel in comparison.

Thanks for some actual game play video too. For some reason, nearly all the people that do virtual pin videos spend the whole time dicking around in the front end instead showing gameplay.

Yes, I have Batman DE on there. It's a lower end table but plays very much like the real thing. I do not have BOP on the cab though as that doesn't look at that good on VP. I hate even saying that as someone spent a lot of time making it but it just not one of the higher end looking tables.

I took a video of several tables for you and any other that may be interested to show game play. It's only one ball a table and playing with a camera under my chin made it even harder but hopefully you can relate to one of the tables to see the game play. I threw in BBB just for fun though.

If anyone has a table they would like to see just let me know and if I have it or can get it I'll take a vid for you.

The tables (in order) on the video's are below. I figure most have played at least one of them. First video:
    - Jurassic Park
    - Fun House (2:12)
    - Big Bang Bar (5:00)
    - White water (6:40)

Second Video:
    - Twilight Zone (9:10)
    - The Simpsons Pinball Party (1:34) Gotta redo this one as the replay knocker is triggered with credits...
    - Radical (3:25)
    - Monster Bash (5:28)

Video 1 -

Video 2 -

#23 11 years ago

I appologize in advance for the bad angles in the video's. I had to hold my camera under my chin to play and shoot at the same time.

#24 11 years ago

Have you tried Uncke Willys BOP? I think it looks and plays really well.

#25 11 years ago
    Quoted from 85vett:

I appologize in advance for the bad angles in the video's. I had to hold my camera under my chin to play and shoot at the same time.

Its cool! Thanks for doing this. Thats the most gameplay I've seen in dozens of videos I looked at. I see Ripleys Believe It Or Not is in there, and that was on the short list for my next machine. Either Ripleys or building a virtual pin is the decision I have to make.

Its a tough call, but I'm leaning toward the virtual and just starting to save again for the next "real" machine.

#26 11 years ago

Ask and you shall receive. I convinced my wife to take the video so you could see better. Ignore her laughing at me when I described it. She thinks it's funny I talk in the video's. Any others, just ask. I've got 76 tables so I probally have it. Most new Sterns aren't available though

My advice. If you only have room for 1-2 more machines and you want a bunch of different tables then this is a good option. If you are only interested in it for 1 or 2 pins then get the real things. You can get a real Ripleys for the price of a nice cab. I went the cab route as I wanted a large variety but don't have the funds or room for it.

I want a TFLE and an AC/DC Pro for real. Outside of that I'm not really looking for any other real machines so this worked out great. I have a feeling that TFLE is going to cost me the same as AC/DC Pro when I get the $$$ for either...

#27 11 years ago

Welcome to the VP cabinet club.
    That is an awesome set up you have.
    I played a lot of games on mine today and these things are awesome and very much worth all the work. I built mine on the cheap in a used Indiana Jones cabinet and it plays great. I did not go with the flashers, shaker motor or solenoids, but I used the real DMD with a 40" LED playfield and 27" LCD backbox. I never really added up the cost before but here is a rough estimate of my build cost for you guys looking to get into this.

IJ cabinet $200 (came with coin door and legs only)
    TZ speaker grill $100 (Ebay)
    Computer $700 (New Egg) AMD 955 with ATI 5670
    Playfield 40" LED TV $400 (Amazon)
    Backbox 27" Samsung $125 (Ebay)
    I-Pac $75
    DMD $280
    DMD logic board $75
    Articulating TV bracket $50
    Mercury switches for nudging $20
    Misc buttons and wires $20

Total Cost roughly $2045.00
    Hope this helps someone with the cost on these things.
    Everybody's build will be different.

Here is a link to my cabinet build photos on VPforums.
    http://www.vpforums.org/index.php?showtopic=15486
    There are tons of cabinet build threads here to give anyone a great idea or two.

Oh, and a special thank you to the poster above who had the tip on the windows start up and close sounds. That is a great idea I had not thought of.

#28 11 years ago

Thanks Arcade. Agreed. I think the only things you should not cheap out on is the PC and PF TV if you want to build a budget. Feedback can always be added later.

TOK - Check out the link below for some more resources. If you take the plunge join up over there as their is a lot of help with these build there too. http://www.hyperspin-fe.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?38-HyperPin-Cabinet-Forum

#29 11 years ago

I've created 3 cabinets so far from existing parted out games. My advise is spend the money on the PC, the monitors, a good sound system, flashers, solenoids, shaker in that order. Flashers make a bigger effect than solenoids/shaker, etc. Its not cheap to make, but like a previous poster said it will stay in your gameroom if you build it properly. Make a cheap cab and you'll regret it and it will ruin the effect.

We've gone from an interesting emulator to a simulator in the past year or so. The cabinets you can build now are way more fun and play like a hybrid pinball/video game. Adding physical elements the cabinet increases the simulation. It will never replace a pinball machine, but it's a great addition to a gameroom and way more fun than a video game.

#30 11 years ago
    Quoted from luvthatapex2:

I've created 3 cabinets so far from existing parted out games. My advise is spend the money on the PC, the monitors, a good sound system, flashers, solenoids, shaker in that order. Flashers make a bigger effect than solenoids/shaker, etc. Its not cheap to make, but like a previous poster said it will stay in your gameroom if you build it properly. Make a cheap cab and you'll regret it and it will ruin the effect.

We've gone from an interesting emulator to a simulator in the past year or so. The cabinets you can build now are way more fun and play like a hybrid pinball/video game. Adding physical elements the cabinet increases the simulation. It will never replace a pinball machine, but it's a great addition to a gameroom and way more fun than a video game.

This is a great post and some of the best advice I have seen in a while on VP.
    Well said and I agree I also think the flashers/feedback is a must and using the correct flipper buttons makes a big difference.

#31 11 years ago

wow.very nice!

#32 11 years ago
    Quoted from 85vett:

Thanks Arcade. Agreed. I think the only things you should not cheap out on is the PC and PF TV if you want to build a budget. Feedback can always be added later.
    TOK - Check out the link below for some more resources. If you take the plunge join up over there as their is a lot of help with these build there too. http://www.hyperspin-fe.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?38-HyperPin-Cabinet-Forum

Thanks for the Ripleys video... I was thinking about doing one of these before, so I've been on the hyperspin forum, but don't know if I ever registered and posted.

Its funny how many times I've bumped this idea back... First I was going to do it and bought my first actual pin, then a second. When it was time to decide again, I ended up buying a few more vids (I have about 10 of those) and now here I am thinking about it again.

The fact that the idea keeps coming back is probably proof I should be doing it!

#33 11 years ago

welcome to the "pincab club owner"
    and enjoy this new toy

#34 11 years ago

Nice Work! This is on my to do future list. I know it's not the real thing but all the usual benefits apply to this build. As others have stated, if done right, it's pretty dam good.

I was thinking if there was a way to use a 3D TV? Play with glasses and add the depth of the Play field and toys. Most likely there would need to be some video card with software to do this. Has anyone any info on implementing this or if it would even make a difference?

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/virtual-pin-completed-video-of-it-and-some-tables-running and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.