(Topic ID: 260236)

Virtual Ball Locks

By TheRudyB

4 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

97478E95-352A-407D-96C9-407806208653.gif

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Snailman.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#4 4 years ago
    Quoted from TheRudyB:

I don't mind the concept at all - I just think they shouldn't be called "locks." To me, locking a ball means I get a new ball served to the plunger and the locked ball is physically held somewhere out on the playfield until something triggers the release of all the locked balls, typically a 3rd physical lock. But when I only "score" a lock and the very same ball is just handed right back to me, I haven't really "locked" a ball.

"Lock" has become pinball parlance for a milestone on the way to starting multiball. I agree: I prefer a physical lock, and really admire pins that have unique/cool ways of capturing and releasing the physically locked balls into multiball.
    But I don't get hung up on a game calling a virtual lock a "lock." When games with physical locks already have max balls in the lock mechanism/trough, they, too, release a ball from the set of locked balls.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Snailman.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/virtual-ball-locks?tu=Snailman and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.