pasted_image (resized).png
$MASTER_Viper_Italic Free Play (500x270).jpg
$MASTER _Viper_White Instructions (9.5 text (500x270)).jpg
D4A2894D-95A3-43BF-B26A-841BAC9AF9E3 (resized).jpeg
485C203A-9770-489A-B513-AAE736C4EC5A (resized).jpeg
968931C0-D94D-49B4-95A2-D1B1F1C49B47 (resized).jpeg
17D5DA7D-E4D9-4AF2-8335-4940A0F48485 (resized).jpeg
4EF6C164-6A1F-457A-A62E-FFE7506E9303 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider MJW.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2 9 years ago

I also have just purchased a VND and had similar questions. A pinside member named Viper is really into the game and answered mine. Hopefully he will see this thread or you can PM him. Look at the threads about the new glow balls as he has posts in there.

#4 9 years ago

Try viperrwk . That is his user name. He PM ed me and I don't know how to send that to you. Sorry.

#5 9 years ago

Viperrwk told me Treasure cove sells some decals for cab flipper area. I do not know the answers to your other questions but he should. Congrats and good luck.

#68 9 years ago

Where can you buy the ball trap update?

#76 9 years ago
Quoted from tamoore:

I'm not sure if my machine had this kit or not, but I never had a stuck ball up there.
It was just exceedingly slow coming out of the pops. I think this is one of the reasons I was able to let it go. I really didn't like how the feed from the pop felt....

Good to hear about not getting stuck. Interesting about the slow out of the pops.

#90 9 years ago
Quoted from Hot_Rod_Grille:

Powered up my VND last night and after about 3 or 4 minutes of play the DMD went "blank" and had a couple of horizontal lines in the middle of the display. The game still worked as usual but no display. Any one else had this problem? Any ideas where to start looking for the problem? Thanks for any help.

Hope you figure it out. There is a display on ebay right now for $300.00 if you determine you need a new display. Not mine , just giving you info.

#93 9 years ago

Got VND that I bought back and played some games last night. Game was exactly as described and no problems. Thanks Tamoore. Great Pinsider.

1 week later
#103 9 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

love the mod idea of shutting down the backbox light in MB!

That would be a nice mod. Sign me up if you get it going.

#104 9 years ago
Quoted from viperrwk:

I'd trade you for mine but the distance just doesn't make it practical. Plus I have a few enhancements on mine that I prefer over stock (different cars, pop bumper caps with the three different Viper logos, clear neon on the ramps, different color standup targets, backbox warming filter, glare guard on the DMD, three Pinball Pro speakers, third amp, under cab and backbox lighting, license plate topper, Invisiglass, "Rock Me" launch button, all LED lighting) and a mod in progress (turning off the backbox light in multiball).
Nonetheless, one of the few times I would say wish you were closer.
viperrwk

Would love to see some pictures of your mods.

1 week later
#110 9 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Very easy on this game. Desolder the battery holder and pop in the NVRAM into the correct spot. No need to even solder on this board as the chip is already socketed.

Do you have to desolder the battery holder? Couldn't you just remove the batteries? I've done this on a few other shames with socketed MPUs.

#112 9 years ago

Oh ok , thought I was missing something. Thanks

4 weeks later
#117 9 years ago

Anybody ever have issues where sometimes the black lights don't come on when lights out? Sometimes they work and sometimes the don't come on. Maybe the power controller for them on bottom of cab is on it's way out?

#119 9 years ago

Thanks viperrwk.

3 weeks later
#120 9 years ago

Ok, rear black light would never came on so replaced starter and ok. Tried to replace relay board at bottom of cab on black light control board to fix my other problem.
My other problem was intermittent black lights.

For some reason new relay blew F7. Put old relay board back in and made sure connections were snug. Black lights are now working. Don't understand but happy they are working. Maybe loose connection but still not sure why new board blew fuse.

Hope this helps someone in the future.

#121 9 years ago
Quoted from MJW:

Ok, rear black light would never came on so replaced starter and ok. Tried to replace relay board at bottom of cab on black light control board to fix my other problem.
My other problem was intermittent black lights.
For some reason new relay blew F7. Put old relay board back in and made sure connections were snug. Black lights are now working. Don't understand but happy they are working. Maybe loose connection but still not sure why new board blew fuse.
Hope this helps someone in the future.

Running 2.01

#123 9 years ago

Added speaker backbox lights and stern lollipop side rails. Much improved.

4 months later
#126 8 years ago

Nothing new here.

1 month later
#135 8 years ago

Viper works, where did you get the decals for your pop bumpers?

1 month later
#145 8 years ago

Had an extra metal apron from mustang so I wanted to try it out. Came out pretty nice.

image.jpgimage.jpg

image_1.jpgimage_1.jpg

#146 8 years ago

Did shochx light cover removal mod. Looks cleaner. My covers and decals on them were pretty bad. Also the glow balls are brighter and raccoon paws can finally be seen when lights out.

#147 8 years ago

image.jpgimage.jpg

#149 8 years ago

Thanks for the great idea for improving . How hard was it to get the alum plates for the lights out to polish? I also have a original apron if any owners are looking for one.

6 months later
#153 8 years ago

I found a 1/18 white viper die cast car that matched the one on the translite.

#154 8 years ago

Viperworkz did a cool licensce plate set up. I think there is a pic somewhere on this thread.

#155 8 years ago

image_(resized).jpgimage_(resized).jpg

2 weeks later
#158 8 years ago
Quoted from rvdv:

Just got my Viper game
Looks great & plays fast
But no GI lights come on
Any ideas ?
Thanks

All fuses good? Do you have an manual? Tried wiggling g.i. Connectors at board? Reseat? Any burnt connectors?

#160 8 years ago

If you get no response I would do a separate post detailing the problem. There are a lot of trouble shooters on this site willing to help.

#162 8 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

Some fun, simple mods I did to Viper:
Added a Hot Wheels viper to the empty plastic on the bridge out ramp - my stepson actually had one up in the attic with all his old Hot Wheels cars. Adding another one back in the corner too.
UFO next to the mountain on top of the gate. It's painted with UV paint and glows nicely in the black lights.
Viper snake head on the shooter lane. It's a piece of a He-Man Snake Mountain toy from the 80s that I bought for $4 on Ebay. The yellow was painted over with UV paint and I'll add a spotlight with a UV bulb to aim at it for better glow in the dark action.
Added glow in the dark Titan rubber to the flippers, slings and posts. Will add the other rubber another time since ramp removal is needed to reach the other rubber.
American flag on the left blacklight fixture. Free decal I had from somewhere.
Added mirror blades since I had a spare set, but will remove if/when I need them for another game. What would look better is the Mustang pinblade artwork with the horses removed. Desert backdrop matches the translite nice.
http://static.wixstatic.com/media/ae11fd_bf20883433ef44fdb14d8c1058a22f35.jpg_srz_p_500_333_75_22_0.5_1.2_0_jpg_srz
20160308_210801_(resized).jpg
20160308_210834_(resized).jpg
20160308_210822_(resized).jpg
20160308_210838_(resized).jpg
20160308_210845_(resized).jpg

Are you flipper rubbers also glow in the dark? Where did you get them?

#163 8 years ago

Oops Titan. Never mind. Sorry.

2 months later
#166 7 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

Some fun, simple mods I did to Viper:
Added a Hot Wheels viper to the empty plastic on the bridge out ramp - my stepson actually had one up in the attic with all his old Hot Wheels cars. Adding another one back in the corner too.
UFO next to the mountain on top of the gate. It's painted with UV paint and glows nicely in the black lights.
Viper snake head on the shooter lane. It's a piece of a He-Man Snake Mountain toy from the 80s that I bought for $4 on Ebay. The yellow was painted over with UV paint and I'll add a spotlight with a UV bulb to aim at it for better glow in the dark action.
Added glow in the dark Titan rubber to the flippers, slings and posts. Will add the other rubber another time since ramp removal is needed to reach the other rubber.
American flag on the left blacklight fixture. Free decal I had from somewhere.
Added mirror blades since I had a spare set, but will remove if/when I need them for another game. What would look better is the Mustang pinblade artwork with the horses removed. Desert backdrop matches the translite nice.
http://static.wixstatic.com/media/ae11fd_bf20883433ef44fdb14d8c1058a22f35.jpg_srz_p_500_333_75_22_0.5_1.2_0_jpg_srz

I sent a PM to joe raptor to see if he could make the side blades with just desert background and not the running horses. I'll post back if I get a yes reply. I would also take my mirror blades off if these were avail. Desert background would really match the game as you pointed out.

#167 7 years ago

Joe responded that he can make a set without the running mustang ponies. They are on their way. Should like nice matching the desert translight.

7 months later
#169 7 years ago

Pingraffix made some decals for me. They are the design for mustang without the horses . Desert matches the cab. I had mirror blades but like these better.

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

4 months later
#173 6 years ago

I don't know if the raccoons are unobtanium but I've never seen one for sale. Hope another Pinsider can point you in the right direction.

5 months later
#175 6 years ago

Check this thread. There was an owner who posted a picture of his machine without the light covers. This inspired me to do mine the same way. Looks much cleaner and light shines better as most covers areg old and hazy. Never had a problem with balls hitting the bulbs. The way he moved the flashers also looks way cleaner. I deleted the long posts to make it even better. If you can't find his post PM me and I can take some pics.

1 week later
#177 6 years ago

I'd offer you $30.00 for the raccoons. Not sure what they are worth as have no reference. If someone does please chime in. They don't come up too often. PM me if you want to work something out.

1 month later
#180 6 years ago

Looking for some help from viper owners. Blackilights sometimes work and sometime don't. Can't command them on and off in test mode .Bought replacement relay board but when installed it blows fuse F7 for low power coils. I noticed original board did not have the red resistor shown in pic so I cut it off to see if that made a difference . Fuse still blew with resistor cut off .Transistor for relay is #23. This transistor seems to be bad as I get tone if I put a lead on ground strap and the center tab if transistor. It's a tip 122. Can a viper owner please verify that there is a red resistor attached to their black light board in a working game. I am going to replace the transistor but don't want it to fail if the resistor is needed.

#181 6 years ago

Weird thing is that black lights sometimes work with original board. If the transistor is bad wouldn't they be on all the time or not at all? I'm assuming it's like a coil where there is power at all times at the relay board and the transistor just completes the ground circuit.

#182 6 years ago

#185 6 years ago
Quoted from goatdan:

Did you replace the bulb starters? I had the same sort of issue when I first got mine, and replacing the starters for like $1 fixed it after a ton of hair pulling...

Thanks for the reply!!!! I have some spare starters I can try. Wonder if thers a way to test them outside the game. You had the same exact symptoms ? Could you please check to see if your light control board on bottom of cabinet has the red resistor?

#189 6 years ago
Quoted from goatdan:

I wish. My Vnd is at a friend's warehouse with about ten of my machines at the moment waiting for me to finish my gameroom.
It has been there for more than a year.
And yeah, it was the same symptoms. Black lights would light slowly or not at all. Nothing I did seemed to help. Really placed the bulbs, fiddled with swapping positions... A friend suggested that it might have starters.
Like a buck worth of starters later, everything worked again.

Ok. Thanks for the input. Much appreciated....

9 months later
#195 5 years ago
Quoted from ccbiggsoo7:

I need parts if anybody has some!

I have used black light covers ...

5 months later
#204 5 years ago
Quoted from goatdan:

Yeah, trust me - 99% chance the bulbs and / or starters are dead, and a replacement will make them work.
I'd love to replace the bulbs with some LED versions. The game turns them on and off a bunch, and they fry from regular use because of that.

There’s a setting in menu to have them on at all times. I use that. Seems easier on the game.

9 months later
#211 4 years ago
Quoted from ruzeo:

Not sure if no Viper Night Drivin' owners exist or all too ashamed too admit it. Missing a raccoon and couldn't find repro ones anywhere so I am making some myself. Will post progress pics if anybody is interested in replacing theirs as well.

I would be in for some spares. Would they be painted or plain? Cool you taking up this project. These are hard to find.

#212 4 years ago

Put me on your list please.

#214 4 years ago
Quoted from ruzeo:

I've got alot of model paint lying around, doubt I will match the colors they were but I do have one raccoon to make a good mould. No idea how much they will cost to make but I will also put all my step by step instructions in case anybody wants to make their own.

Oh sorry. Ok. I misunderstood. I thought you were going to offer them for sale.

1 month later
#217 4 years ago

Anybody have any parts for sale ?

#219 4 years ago

Thanks for posting. Where are the side return ramps? Or do you mean black light covers? Those lol clear and hard to find.

#220 4 years ago

I also have some plastics if anyone is looking.

#221 4 years ago
Quoted from MJW:

Thanks for posting. Where are the side return ramps? Or do you mean black light covers? Those are very clear and hard to find.

#224 4 years ago
Quoted from C65Mustang:

i have a ton of parts on a parts pin i am parting out. what all do you need?

Spare Raccoon, relay board in cab for black lights , nice NOS Ramps....

#225 4 years ago
Quoted from MadMaxDad:

Sorry, my mistake, I just have the covers in the photos.

Someone was looking to buy those awhile back. Yours look very clear and not hazy.

#227 4 years ago
Quoted from C65Mustang:

The raccoons I am sad to say already got bought awhile ago but the other items I should have. the ramps aren't NOS but I can clean them up and provide detailed pictures if you would like.

Ok thanks for your reply. If you would like please send picture and price. I’m looking for the center ramp mostly. Found a NOS right ramp and left ramp decent. Want to try another black light relay board as my black lights are hit and miss. .. thanks.

3 weeks later
#232 4 years ago
Quoted from HighProtein:

Testing new LED blacklight
[quoted image]

Had same issues with factory black light. Added black light to back and black light strips on apron . The ones on apron really make the flipper UV area pop.

705BF30B-9586-490F-847B-00D5D0A989DF (resized).jpeg705BF30B-9586-490F-847B-00D5D0A989DF (resized).jpegE611A6F3-9BCC-43AD-AA35-642B0C989021 (resized).jpegE611A6F3-9BCC-43AD-AA35-642B0C989021 (resized).jpeg
1 year later
#238 2 years ago
Quoted from Gunner:

Have you voted for Viper Night Driving in the ColorDMD poll?

That would be sweet but with such a low production game I don’t see how they would do it.

I did mention it to Randy when I had them on the phone for other questions.
He pretty much agreed not enough interest due to low production.

Who knows though.

#239 2 years ago

Voted anyway….. lol

3 weeks later
#241 2 years ago
Quoted from V8haha:

Looking for cabinet decals. Looks like their may be an option over seas but hesitant to spend 270 on decals from a company over seas.
Also looking for raccoons if anyone has a lead

There was an old thread of a guy who was going to make reproduction raccoons but it went cold.

1 week later
#244 2 years ago
Quoted from ZedMcGlunk:

Proud new owner of a VND I picked up at the museum auction this month. Took delivery today, everything started up fine. Got about 10 games in then something happened.. a ball is stuck in each hole under the raccoons. At the same time the black lights stopped working so I assume it’s related.
I’m a total noob - any advice how I can troubleshoot and fix this?
[quoted image]

Hopefully game came with a manual.

Check all fuses for continuity and see what fuse is for those two holes.

After that you can go into diagnostics to make sure the switches are activating and the game knows the balls are there.

#245 2 years ago
Quoted from MJW:

Hopefully game came with a manual.
Check all fuses for continuity and see what fuse is for those two holes.
After that you can go into diagnostics to make sure the switches are activating and the game knows the balls are there.

I see no playfield lighting. Are you sure the game is getting power? Is anything working?

If not check main in line fuse located in the box with service outlet bottom right front of cabinet.

#247 2 years ago

I would do a visual of your right vuk coil to see if it’s anything obvious. See if it moves freely or is stuck.

You could also test the coil

If you get no responses on this thread you could start a brand new one asking for help. There are guys on Pinside that are good at troubleshooting and willing to help.

Facebook also has a pinball repair group that you could join and ask for help.

I just know the basics.

#248 2 years ago

Also it’s nice to have a circuit breaker with same amps so you don’t go through lots of fuses as you troubleshoot.

#249 2 years ago
Quoted from MJW:

Also it’s nice to have a circuit breaker with same amps so you don’t go through lots of fuses as you troubleshoot.

0BA04A68-2BA3-4614-B733-D2C6EA7F8010 (resized).jpeg0BA04A68-2BA3-4614-B733-D2C6EA7F8010 (resized).jpeg
#250 2 years ago

Page 86
Right VUK
Q4 transitor

9A474BD6-C12C-429A-A40E-957CB7C889DA (resized).jpeg9A474BD6-C12C-429A-A40E-957CB7C889DA (resized).jpeg
#251 2 years ago
Quoted from MJW:

Page 86
Right VUK
Q4 transitor [quoted image]

Page 88.
fuse 7 . Follow where it goes and what low power coils all use it .

Right VUK is not powered by fuse 7.

DE2EEFB2-4963-4CA4-9ABC-E0C7FEADE706 (resized).jpegDE2EEFB2-4963-4CA4-9ABC-E0C7FEADE706 (resized).jpeg
#252 2 years ago
Quoted from MJW:

Page 88.
fuse 7 . Follow where it goes and what low power coils all use it .looks like black lights use same fuse.
Right VUK is not powered by fuse 7.
[quoted image]

#254 2 years ago
Quoted from ZedMcGlunk:

Thanks again for your help!! I think I've narrowed it down to something with the flash lamps. Unplugged J6 and replaced the F7 fuse and suddenly the VUKs and all coils to work again.. Plugging J7 back in makes the 3 flashing blue lights stay on constant and I think eventually blows the fuse, so apparently my problem is within one of those lights..

Nice . Hope you figure it out.

3 months later
#268 2 years ago

Best I could get. Next to a dryer. Lol

Curious how your cards will look. You always do good work.

17D5DA7D-E4D9-4AF2-8335-4940A0F48485 (resized).jpeg17D5DA7D-E4D9-4AF2-8335-4940A0F48485 (resized).jpeg485C203A-9770-489A-B513-AAE736C4EC5A (resized).jpeg485C203A-9770-489A-B513-AAE736C4EC5A (resized).jpeg4EF6C164-6A1F-457A-A62E-FFE7506E9303 (resized).jpeg4EF6C164-6A1F-457A-A62E-FFE7506E9303 (resized).jpeg968931C0-D94D-49B4-95A2-D1B1F1C49B47 (resized).jpeg968931C0-D94D-49B4-95A2-D1B1F1C49B47 (resized).jpeg
#269 2 years ago
D4A2894D-95A3-43BF-B26A-841BAC9AF9E3 (resized).jpegD4A2894D-95A3-43BF-B26A-841BAC9AF9E3 (resized).jpeg
3 weeks later
#275 2 years ago
Quoted from Mrsinister2424:

Hoping to pick one of these up soon! Curious what drove many of you here to add a VND to your collection? How many of you are viper owners?

I have 7 car pins in a car themed basement.
Always wanted a Indy 500 though.

10 months later
#283 1 year ago

Did you try Marco and bay area amusements?
Could have sworn I’ve seen these avail

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
5,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Newtown, CT
$ 18.95
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

Boards
PinSound

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 12.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

6,995 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Plantsville, CT
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider MJW.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/viper-night-drivin-rom-and-cab?tu=MJW and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.