pasted_image (resized).png
$MASTER_Viper_Italic Free Play (500x270).jpg
$MASTER _Viper_White Instructions (9.5 text (500x270)).jpg
D4A2894D-95A3-43BF-B26A-841BAC9AF9E3 (resized).jpeg
485C203A-9770-489A-B513-AAE736C4EC5A (resized).jpeg
968931C0-D94D-49B4-95A2-D1B1F1C49B47 (resized).jpeg
17D5DA7D-E4D9-4AF2-8335-4940A0F48485 (resized).jpeg
4EF6C164-6A1F-457A-A62E-FFE7506E9303 (resized).jpeg
There are 287 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 6.
#151 8 years ago

Was getting random resets on Viper and sometimes the DMD would turn off. Removed the 5v connector from the DMD and game played fine blind with no resets. Sometimes reconnecting the 5v would cause the game to lock up. Well documented problem in the repair guides and replacing BR21 solved the problem. Glad I try to buy extra parts when placing orders because I had several bridge rectifiers on hand from when I replaced one in Baywatch.

Just posting this for future reference if anyone searches for the same problem.

On another note, I had red and blue LED 12v bars I bought for $3 each at Ollie's for another project. I always try to get a little creative with pins and these fit perfectly on top of the blacklight covers. They are not really bright, so they don't get in the way of seeing any action and they also don't interfere with the blacklight. Since I had the left ramp lit with red LEDs and right right ramp blue, it made sense to add these. Looks sharp and I can turn them on/off by opening the coin door and pressing a button.

20160209_171002_(resized).jpg20160209_171002_(resized).jpg

2 weeks later
#152 8 years ago

I picked up my first pinball machine, a Viper Night Drivin less than a month ago and love it. It's in amazing shape and came with the Cointaker LED's and BrightCap EVO pop bumpers installed. Best of all, it came with a set of original glow balls and the newer GID glow balls.

I'm looking for a topper for it. I've seen the Sega plastic topper that lights up on machine photos but never seen them for sale. What is everyone using if they have a topper on their VND?

#153 8 years ago

I found a 1/18 white viper die cast car that matched the one on the translite.

#154 8 years ago

Viperworkz did a cool licensce plate set up. I think there is a pic somewhere on this thread.

#155 8 years ago

image_(resized).jpgimage_(resized).jpg

1 week later
#156 8 years ago

Thanks for the reply's. I picked up the die case car and some LED spot lights. Going to mount them on a board with the spot lights like it's on display. got a couple different brightness LED's so I can play with it.

I saw someone had an acrylic topper that was etched with the logo and a car, looked like it was limited edition that came with the machine. Anyone know?

1 week later
#157 8 years ago

Just got my Viper game
Looks great & plays fast

But no GI lights come on
Any ideas ?

Thanks

#158 8 years ago
Quoted from rvdv:

Just got my Viper game
Looks great & plays fast
But no GI lights come on
Any ideas ?
Thanks

All fuses good? Do you have an manual? Tried wiggling g.i. Connectors at board? Reseat? Any burnt connectors?

#159 8 years ago

I re plugged all connectors
Thanks for feedback

Nothing burned
Fuses all good

Someone told me it's a K1 relay ?
Any one can confirm ?

#160 8 years ago

If you get no response I would do a separate post detailing the problem. There are a lot of trouble shooters on this site willing to help.

#161 8 years ago

Some fun, simple mods I did to Viper:

Added a Hot Wheels viper to the empty plastic on the bridge out ramp - my stepson actually had one up in the attic with all his old Hot Wheels cars. Adding another one back in the corner too.

UFO next to the mountain on top of the gate. It's painted with UV paint and glows nicely in the black lights.

Viper snake head on the shooter lane. It's a piece of a He-Man Snake Mountain toy from the 80s that I bought for $4 on Ebay. The yellow was painted over with UV paint and I'll add a spotlight with a UV bulb to aim at it for better glow in the dark action.

Added glow in the dark Titan rubber to the flippers, slings and posts. Will add the other rubber another time since ramp removal is needed to reach the other rubber.

American flag on the left blacklight fixture. Free decal I had from somewhere.

Added mirror blades since I had a spare set, but will remove if/when I need them for another game. What would look better is the Mustang pinblade artwork with the horses removed. Desert backdrop matches the translite nice.

http://static.wixstatic.com/media/ae11fd_bf20883433ef44fdb14d8c1058a22f35.jpg_srz_p_500_333_75_22_0.5_1.2_0_jpg_srz

20160308_210801_(resized).jpg20160308_210801_(resized).jpg
20160308_210834_(resized).jpg20160308_210834_(resized).jpg
20160308_210822_(resized).jpg20160308_210822_(resized).jpg
20160308_210838_(resized).jpg20160308_210838_(resized).jpg
20160308_210845_(resized).jpg20160308_210845_(resized).jpg

#162 8 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

Added a Hot Wheels viper to the empty plastic on the bridge out ramp - my stepson actually had one up in the attic with all his old Hot Wheels cars. Adding another one back in the corner too.
UFO next to the mountain on top of the gate. It's painted with UV paint and glows nicely in the black lights.
Viper snake head on the shooter lane. It's a piece of a He-Man Snake Mountain toy from the 80s that I bought for $4 on Ebay. The yellow was painted over with UV paint and I'll add a spotlight with a UV bulb to aim at it for better glow in the dark action.
Added glow in the dark Titan rubber to the flippers, slings and posts. Will add the other rubber another time since ramp removal is needed to reach the other rubber.
Added mirror blades since I had a spare set, but will remove if/when I need them for another game. What would look better is the Mustang pinblade artwork with the horses removed. Desert backdrop matches the translite nice.
http://static.wixstatic.com/media/ae11fd_bf20883433ef44fdb14d8c1058a22f35.jpg_srz_p_500_333_75_22_0.5_1.2_0_jpg_srz
20160308_210801_(resized).jpg
20160308_210834_(resized).jpg
20160308_210822_(resized).jpg
20160308_210838_(resized).jpg
20160308_210845_(resized).jpg

Are you flipper rubbers also glow in the dark? Where did you get them?

#163 8 years ago

Oops Titan. Never mind. Sorry.

#164 8 years ago

Yup. Bought a bunch of glow in the dark rubber for my TFTC too because I have uv light strips along the side rails.

2 months later
#165 7 years ago

Picked up a VND today off CL in So Cal... 4 hours of driving to pick up this GEM.

Going to be a fun restore.... I think this raccoon didn't quite make it out of the way of one fast Viper....

Looked like HU for last 16 years, original rubbers most likely as they are mostly dust.. never shopped of course and it shows.
Still boots up, display works... luckily someone removed the batteries but it has minor acid damage.
Under playfield is very clean but it was stored on its back in a trailer for 5 years in high desert heat and one raccoon melted into the mountain.. really gooey to the touch... yuuck.
Also missing the translight, this owner never had one as it was given to repay a debt... Looks like the prior owner didn't know how to transport it.... so the showcase backbox is damaged/bend, going to need some work as well (if anyone knows of one, or someone parting out one please PM me). I assume the raccoon's are impossible to find... Maybe someone can 3D print something like it someday.

It was a great deal.. hopefully nothing else is melted under there and Mr. Roadkill comes off easily. I thought you all might find the melted coon humorous so I posted pics.

IMG_2002_(resized).JPGIMG_2002_(resized).JPG

IMG_1996_(resized).JPGIMG_1996_(resized).JPG

1 week later
#166 7 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

I sent a PM to joe raptor to see if he could make the side blades with just desert background and not the running horses. I'll post back if I get a yes reply. I would also take my mirror blades off if these were avail. Desert background would really match the game as you pointed out.

#167 7 years ago

Joe responded that he can make a set without the running mustang ponies. They are on their way. Should like nice matching the desert translight.

#168 7 years ago
Quoted from Nickburns:

Picked up a VND today off CL in So Cal... 4 hours of driving to pick up this GEM.
Going to be a fun restore.... I think this raccoon didn't quite make it out of the way of one fast Viper....
Looked like HU for last 16 years, original rubbers most likely as they are mostly dust.. never shopped of course and it shows.
Still boots up, display works... luckily someone removed the batteries but it has minor acid damage.
Under playfield is very clean but it was stored on its back in a trailer for 5 years in high desert heat and one raccoon melted into the mountain.. really gooey to the touch... yuuck.
Also missing the translight, this owner never had one as it was given to repay a debt... Looks like the prior owner didn't know how to transport it.... so the showcase backbox is damaged/bend, going to need some work as well (if anyone knows of one, or someone parting out one please PM me). I assume the raccoon's are impossible to find... Maybe someone can 3D print something like it someday.
It was a great deal.. hopefully nothing else is melted under there and Mr. Roadkill comes off easily. I thought you all might find the melted coon humorous so I posted pics.

That gooey raccoon is both terrible (looks like a pain to clean) and hilarious (really looks like it exploded!)

If you find anyone with a parted out backbox, please tell me. I need the bracket to hold up the DMD panel for a SST and I'm sure that's usable in your current game

Someone made and once in a while sells raccoon "knock offs" on eBay. I don't have a set, but from what I understand they are acceptable. You wouldn't want to 3D print them as they are rubbery and supposed to bounce (like AFM aliens, which is I assume where the idea started).

7 months later
#169 7 years ago

Pingraffix made some decals for me. They are the design for mustang without the horses . Desert matches the cab. I had mirror blades but like these better.

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

1 month later
#170 7 years ago

While not a Viper owner, I've been asked to create some custom coin return inserts from a Pinsider who saw what I had done for my Getaway. Attached are full sized inserts for anyone to print if they like. If you would prefer, PM me and you may purchase from me for $5. I will send you a sheet with 4 copies of each insert printed on high resolution inkjet printer (deep blacks) using OEM ink and OEM matte photo quality paper which lets the light through very good and is non-splotchy. Enjoy!

Viper_1.jpgViper_1.jpg

Viper_2.jpgViper_2.jpg

Car_1.jpgCar_1.jpg

Car_2.jpgCar_2.jpg

Car_3.jpgCar_3.jpg

1 month later
#171 7 years ago

Hey everyone I've got a viper night drivin. First machine. I'm cleaning it up and doing some easy mods. What should I do about redoing the cabinet artwork? Does anyone have files containing the graphics or know where to find them? Thanks and happy pinballing

3 weeks later
#172 6 years ago

Hi All -- just got a VND today an love it! Does anyone know where to find replacement Raccoons?

#173 6 years ago

I don't know if the raccoons are unobtanium but I've never seen one for sale. Hope another Pinsider can point you in the right direction.

5 months later
#174 6 years ago

Trying to cleanup a VND for a friend. It looks better with the side UV plastic protector removed. Anybody encountered breaking the UV bulbs in game play? Also, if somebody could post how they mounted the red/blue flashers without the protector - that'd be great. Thanks

#175 6 years ago

Check this thread. There was an owner who posted a picture of his machine without the light covers. This inspired me to do mine the same way. Looks much cleaner and light shines better as most covers areg old and hazy. Never had a problem with balls hitting the bulbs. The way he moved the flashers also looks way cleaner. I deleted the long posts to make it even better. If you can't find his post PM me and I can take some pics.

#176 6 years ago

I have the 2 raccoon toys for this game and several other playfield parts. How much would the set of 2 of the raccoons be worth? What other parts are others needing from this cabinet?

#177 6 years ago

I'd offer you $30.00 for the raccoons. Not sure what they are worth as have no reference. If someone does please chime in. They don't come up too often. PM me if you want to work something out.

#178 6 years ago

Are the raccoons original and in good shape? I would assume they are worth decent money if so, they don't come up nearly ever. Someone did make repros a while ago, but they weren't great. Then again, the originals aren't incredible either.

Unless you have the original GloBalls, very little from the game is worth that much. They expected to sell significantly more than they did, so it means pricing is... pretty darn affordable.

#179 6 years ago

Here are the mounted raccoons as they are right now. If needed they can come with all of the mechanisms and mounting brackets as well, price would vary depending on what all is wanted

D12D3EB5-D2BF-41B2-A727-368FAC12FEC7 (resized).jpegD12D3EB5-D2BF-41B2-A727-368FAC12FEC7 (resized).jpeg

1 month later
#180 6 years ago

Looking for some help from viper owners. Blackilights sometimes work and sometime don't. Can't command them on and off in test mode .Bought replacement relay board but when installed it blows fuse F7 for low power coils. I noticed original board did not have the red resistor shown in pic so I cut it off to see if that made a difference . Fuse still blew with resistor cut off .Transistor for relay is #23. This transistor seems to be bad as I get tone if I put a lead on ground strap and the center tab if transistor. It's a tip 122. Can a viper owner please verify that there is a red resistor attached to their black light board in a working game. I am going to replace the transistor but don't want it to fail if the resistor is needed.

#181 6 years ago

Weird thing is that black lights sometimes work with original board. If the transistor is bad wouldn't they be on all the time or not at all? I'm assuming it's like a coil where there is power at all times at the relay board and the transistor just completes the ground circuit.

#182 6 years ago

#183 6 years ago

Did you replace the bulb starters? I had the same sort of issue when I first got mine, and replacing the starters for like $1 fixed it after a ton of hair pulling...

#184 6 years ago

hi guys happy to be in the club.
owned my viper for about 6 months now, and love it. modding it up as we speak. i will post pics soon. just got done installing 12v le wire around the ramps and painting the mountain and glow light caps. looks really good.

#185 6 years ago
Quoted from goatdan:

Did you replace the bulb starters? I had the same sort of issue when I first got mine, and replacing the starters for like $1 fixed it after a ton of hair pulling...

Thanks for the reply!!!! I have some spare starters I can try. Wonder if thers a way to test them outside the game. You had the same exact symptoms ? Could you please check to see if your light control board on bottom of cabinet has the red resistor?

#186 6 years ago

I have almost a complete pf that I am parting out. the only things I don't have are a couple plastics and the rare raccoons. Check with me if anyone needs anything and let me know what you need and I can post pictures.

Thanks in advance

#187 6 years ago
Quoted from MJW:

Thanks for the reply!!!! I have some spare starters I can try. Wonder if thers a way to test them outside the game. You had the same exact symptoms ? Could you please check to see if your light control board on bottom of cabinet has the red resistor?

I wish. My Vnd is at a friend's warehouse with about ten of my machines at the moment waiting for me to finish my gameroom.

It has been there for more than a year.

And yeah, it was the same symptoms. Black lights would light slowly or not at all. Nothing I did seemed to help. Really placed the bulbs, fiddled with swapping positions... A friend suggested that it might have starters.

Like a buck worth of starters later, everything worked again.

#188 6 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

thats an incredibly well modded machine!

looks awesome!
i just finished mine last week. looking better now...

IMG_3922 (resized).JPGIMG_3922 (resized).JPG

IMG_3923 (resized).JPGIMG_3923 (resized).JPG

IMG_3924 (resized).JPGIMG_3924 (resized).JPG

IMG_3925 (resized).JPGIMG_3925 (resized).JPG

IMG_3926 (resized).JPGIMG_3926 (resized).JPG

IMG_3928 (resized).JPGIMG_3928 (resized).JPG

IMG_3929 (resized).JPGIMG_3929 (resized).JPG

IMG_3930 (resized).JPGIMG_3930 (resized).JPG

IMG_3931 (resized).JPGIMG_3931 (resized).JPG

#189 6 years ago
Quoted from goatdan:

I wish. My Vnd is at a friend's warehouse with about ten of my machines at the moment waiting for me to finish my gameroom.
It has been there for more than a year.
And yeah, it was the same symptoms. Black lights would light slowly or not at all. Nothing I did seemed to help. Really placed the bulbs, fiddled with swapping positions... A friend suggested that it might have starters.
Like a buck worth of starters later, everything worked again.

Ok. Thanks for the input. Much appreciated....

1 week later
#190 6 years ago
Quoted from blowback1976:

Any Viper experts know where the ball trap update gets installed? Can't find any info, and I thought the one I ordered would have instructions. But it does not. Any help would be appreciated.

I am in the same boat. Chas at Stern has no info for the kit. BAA has the kit but where does it go? Does anyone have a picture you can post of it installed? Do some games have it installed already? This game is going to be routed so It made need this kit.
Thanks

#191 6 years ago

I am cleaning a very dirty viper for a friend.
The side UV plastics were cracked, so I decided to camouflage them with decals and cars.
The plastics are perfectly square, so the decals don't apply perfectly square. They look better when standing in front of the machine than when looking at photos.
Mods are a very 'personal taste' thing -- I'm happy with how it looks.
If anybody would like road decals - I could print some.

BirdsEye3 (resized).jpgBirdsEye3 (resized).jpg

BothCars (resized).jpgBothCars (resized).jpg

BridsEye1 (resized).jpgBridsEye1 (resized).jpg

Decal_sidebyside_compare (resized).jpgDecal_sidebyside_compare (resized).jpg

Decal_sidebyside_compare5 (resized).jpgDecal_sidebyside_compare5 (resized).jpg

Decal_sidebyside_compare3 (resized).jpgDecal_sidebyside_compare3 (resized).jpg

DecalComp1 (resized).jpgDecalComp1 (resized).jpg

DecalComp4 (resized).jpgDecalComp4 (resized).jpg

2 months later
#192 6 years ago

Last call for viper pin parts. I have more of the PF pieces and all ramps. This cabinet is toast and I can't save it so I am trying to get everyone parts that they can use for theirs. PM me and tell me what parts your looking for. FYI, the raccoons have already been sold.

6 months later
#193 5 years ago

Can you buy the blacklight covers anywhere?

2 weeks later
#194 5 years ago

I need parts if anybody has some!

#195 5 years ago
Quoted from ccbiggsoo7:

I need parts if anybody has some!

I have used black light covers ...

5 months later
#196 5 years ago

Just joined the club and started the tear down. I think this has to be the biggest PITA tear down I've done yet - and it's dirty AF so it needs the full teardown.

Two quick questions

1 - Anyone have a lead on cabinet decals? This one was held in a business for the better part of 20 years. Somehow the PF and boards are all in dirty but great while the cabinet is awful and has a ton of paint flaking and fade.

2 - anyone have a link to the manual? I see IPDB only has a 'sample game manual'. The game tests well enough, but I wasn't able to fully play it because the rubbers were completely toasted. Given what a pain this teardown is - I want to make sure I check all the switches/etc now while it's apart. (Also - none of the three blacklights test on, so I'll need to dig in there)

Also - thanks to PoMC for posting pics of his - I didn't know Titan had glow in the darks and can order them just in time for completing the tear down.

#197 5 years ago
Quoted from statictrance:

Just joined the club and started the tear down. I think this has to be the biggest PITA tear down I've done yet - and it's dirty AF so it needs the full teardown.
Two quick questions
1 - Anyone have a lead on cabinet decals? This one was held in a business for the better part of 20 years. Somehow the PF and boards are all in dirty but great while the cabinet is awful and has a ton of paint flaking and fade.
2 - anyone have a link to the manual? I see IPDB only has a 'sample game manual'. The game tests well enough, but I wasn't able to fully play it because the rubbers were completely toasted. Given what a pain this teardown is - I want to make sure I check all the switches/etc now while it's apart. (Also - none of the three blacklights test on, so I'll need to dig in there)
Also - thanks to PoMC for posting pics of his - I didn't know Titan had glow in the darks and can order them just in time for completing the tear down.

I did a complete teardown and shop job on this game and it was a PITA. 11 hours total. Check the Black light starters located on the floor of the cabinet. Change all three. they are cheap and should help you trouble shoot the black lights. I too went with the glow in the dark rubber rings and posts. a must for this game. I stayed with regular bulbs except put some LEDs under some of the inserts like the ball lock lights. I got new Glow Balls. Magic eraser keeps them clean. Good luck.

#198 5 years ago

Any chance you have a part number for the starters? If they're that cheap, I'd like to order them today. I have a bunch of people coming in on Friday, so I'm trying to get it back up and running by then!

#199 5 years ago

Any chance you have a part number for the starters? If they're that cheap, I'd like to order them today. I have a bunch of people coming in on Friday, so I'm trying to get it back up and running by then!

I do not have the starter numbers but you can pull your old one out and see what they say. These are the same starters that are in the head for the regular florescent bulb I believe.

#200 5 years ago

Cabinet decals weren't a thing back then. It seems about half of the VND cabinets are afflicted with the paint flaking thing. My cabinet is too, and it's the only Sega Showcase that I've seen with that issue.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

5,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Newtown, CT
$ 18.95
Boards
PinSound

$ 18.95
$ 18.95
6,995 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Plantsville, CT
$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 12.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

There are 287 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 6.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/viper-night-drivin-rom-and-cab/page/4?hl=head_boss_hog and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.