Topic Stats

• 4 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by viperrwk
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

Sega games are few and far between in my collection, and I have a Viper new to me that sometimes acts a little weird. Not sure if there are some common issues that need to be addressed in games like this. Symptoms are intermittent, usually the game plays fine upon power cycle. What I've seen is:

1. Game boots & plays, but no sounds.
2. Game does not boot, acts as if resetting itself.

Then, like I said, it'll play fine for many games.

Also my sound is incredibly screechy & tinny sounding, especially from the left speaker. To my surprise there was no right speaker even though there is a grill, and it appears factory. The left speaker is marked Sega 031-5004-00, and the sound rom is dated 2/24/98

#2 10 years ago

AFAIK, only one rev of sound ROMs for VND. That stretch of Sega games only had the one backbox and cabinet speaker.

http://www.pinballnews.com/learn/speaker/index.html

http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Sega/Stern_White_Star_Repair#Adding_a_Second_Backbox_Speaker_to_some_Sega_Games

Any sort of boot issues like you describe you have to look at potential battery leakage/damage.

viperrwk

#3 10 years ago

The ROM is verified as most recent. I listened to a handful of other Viper games on YouTube and definitely think mine is tinny sounding, especially when the car is peeling out. Like nails on chalkboard

#4 10 years ago

If all sounds are working and volume can be properly adjusted, first thing to do is try new speakers.

Having said that, I have Pinball Pro setup in mine - sounds great. Sub acts as a shaker at the start of multiball it pushes so much air...

viperrwk

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Boards
PinSound

$ 12.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep

$ 18.95
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 18.95
5,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Newtown, CT
$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

6,995 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Plantsville, CT

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/viper-night-drivin-issues and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.