(Topic ID: 183364)

Vintage STEREO Club (Monster Receivers, Cassette, CD Players, Turntables, R2R)

By ZNET

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 833 posts
  • 132 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 days ago by ToucanF16
  • Topic is favorited by 57 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot_20240418_193425_Facebook (resized).jpg
    20240416_215458 (resized).jpg
    20240416_215444 (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20240404_211828_Facebook (resized).jpg
    IMG_20240325_173231825 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20240325_173030669 (resized).jpg
    IMG_3830 (resized).jpg
    PRODPIC-3119 (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20240305_211816_Facebook (resized).jpg
    drapes match pillows (resized).jpg
    bookcase (resized).jpg
    IMG_6181 (resized).jpeg
    speaker with stand (resized).jpg
    right front L100 (resized).jpg
    left front L100 grille off (resized).jpg
    towers 2 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider znet.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 7 years ago

I'm wondering how many Pinsiders have amassed a collection of vintage stereo equipment. This thread is dedicated to the audio equipment (including speakers) of yesteryear. . .the good, the bad and the ugly. Post photos of your set-up(s).

This thread is more about the equipment itself as opposed to musical preferences. To post photos of album covers, for example, there's a great thread on Pinside for that (Pinside Vinyl Club).

I'll get this party started with photos of my gameroom set-up (as listed below), followed by a photo of the Sansui stereo (long gone) I had in my college dorm room back in the late seventies.

Setton RS-660 receiver (120 WPC)
    Marantz 6350Q turntable
    Marantz 4300 quad receiver (100 WPC)
    Tandberg TCD 330 cassette deck
    Kyocera DA-610 compact disc players
    Panasonic quad audio scope SH-3433

20170308_190719 (resized).jpg20170308_190719 (resized).jpg
    20170308_190705 (resized).jpg20170308_190705 (resized).jpg
    20170308_190616 (resized).jpg20170308_190616 (resized).jpg
    20170308_190814 (resized).jpg20170308_190814 (resized).jpg
    20170308_190806 (resized).jpg20170308_190806 (resized).jpg
    20170308_190828 (resized).jpg20170308_190828 (resized).jpg
    20141229_222950 (resized).jpg20141229_222950 (resized).jpg

#3 7 years ago
    Quoted from modfather:

Pioneer SX oldschool receivers was my jam back in the day. The polished stainless steel fronts and bouncing power meters was the shit. You can feel the power.

The Pioneer SX-1980 is indeed a monster at 270 watts per channel. Here's a link to an article listing the most powerful vintage receivers:

http://classicreceivers.com/the-most-powerful-vintage-receivers-of-all-time

#4 7 years ago

Here's the Setton RS-440 receiver I use in a bedroom. It's rated at 70 watts per channel (the Setton RS-660 advertised at 100 WPC but rated at 120 WPC, released in 1977, is pictured in my first post). Setton isn't that well known outside of the audiophile world. Setton equipment had a short run in the late seventies. Their receivers were manufactured in Japan by the same outfit which made Lafayette Radio products, although some claim that they were made by the parent company of Kenwood. Most evidence points to Lafayette insofar as the internals are very similar, although not identical.

Setton products were styled by an acolyte of Pierre Cardin, Allain Caire. A French distributor of Pioneer, Jack Setton, is the namesake of the brand. The unconventional controls include a unique security panel display, which display "heat," "clipping" and "protection." The sonic performance of Setton receivers (there's also an RS-220 which features 40 WPC) is impressive.

20170312_221437 (resized).jpg20170312_221437 (resized).jpg

#8 7 years ago
    Quoted from MustangPaul:

I just love the old receivers with the knobs instead of the new crap with a remote that's needed to adjust all the settings and if ya loose the remote your up shit creek. The old ones were great to look at too, real works of art. I'll have to look for mine.

The knobs on many of these vintage receivers are silky smooth. The buttons on Settons are solid metal with nylon inserts. I also like the controls on Marantz, Sansui, Pioneer, Rotel, Scott, Concept and many others.

Pinball and vintage stereos go hand-in-hand, in my view. They share the visual, audio and tactile elements which draw us in and transport us to an earlier time. My line-up is mostly electromechanical pinball and arcade games. I blast music on my vintage system while playing pinball. The music complements the chimes, bells and buzzers of the old-school games.

Please post photos of your set-up. Hopefully, others will be encouraged to do so and we'll create a unique thread.

#18 7 years ago
    Quoted from Insane:

I have a Yamaha CR-820 and some Boston A150 speakers I was trying to sell, if anyone is interested. The speakers need resealed. The receiver is beautiful. lights work. There is a small probably cigarette burn on the top, probably 1/4" dia spot. I have the box and the manual for the receiver. Unfortunately I accidently threw out the styrophone packing. I'd like $250.00 for all. If interested, shoot me a PM for more information. I would prefer not to ship. I would donate to pinside if I sold through here.

This thread might be a good place to post "for sale" notices of vintage stereo equipment while generating donations to Pinside.

#19 7 years ago
    Quoted from nocreditdot:

I have a Marantz 2245 and a Pioneer SX850. Those are connected to Polk Monitor 10 speakers that I rebuilt. Great sound for the gameroom.

Marantz receivers seem to have earned the reputation for a distinctively warm sound, which is a proposition supported by my experience with my Marantz 4300 quad receiver (with SQA-2 decoder).

#20 7 years ago
    Quoted from mswhat:

For better or for worse my Zenith Allegro console.

I'm 57 years-old so I'm old enough to have had an 8 track tape player in a car.

Some songs ended prematurely on side 1 and continued on side 2!

#24 7 years ago
    Quoted from MustangPaul:

But are you old enough to remember having an under dash record player in your car. My older brother had one in his '65 Mustang. I thought was sooooo cool at the time.

My older brother's first car was a red '67 Mustang. Mine was a '72 Mustang convertible with a 302 Cobrajet engine (canary yellow with black ragtop. . .I had the car repainted pearl white and replaced the black top with a beige one). While I do not remember the underdash record players in any of the family cars, I am familiar with those ingenious audio devices. Here's a concise history, with photo:
    http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/news/2014/04/record-players-were-the-infotainment-systems-of-the-1950s-and-60s/index.htm

Chrysler-Highway-Hi-Fi-car-record-player (resized).jpegChrysler-Highway-Hi-Fi-car-record-player (resized).jpeg

#29 7 years ago
    Quoted from Methos:

I have the Pioneer SX-1250. It's a freakin tank, takes two people to move it. Although it's power full, it isn't the best sounding one I have. My two rebuilt Marantz receivers (2230, 2270) sounds soooooooooo warm and inviting. Playing vinyl on a Technics 1650 (best changer ever made) though the 2270 over a pair of HPM 150s is magic.

Some of the monster receivers seem to be outperformed by their less powerful brethren. For example, the monster Marantz 2385 (185 WPC) is eclipsed in performance by the classic Marantz 2285b (85 WPC). I think that the same may be true of other brands.

#31 7 years ago
    Quoted from Darcy:

8 Tracks had 4 channels. 1 thru 4. Cassettes like records have sides.
    Now where are the reel to reel units?

Ah yes. I just remember pressing a button to change channels and that songs were, at times, broken up between consecutive channels.

In retrospect, the 8 track seems primitive. Yet, I have several EM arcade games which use reliable 8 track tape systems for the audio component, e.g. 1972 Sega Grand National Race, 1974 Kasco Untouchable. My 1973 Sega Moto Champ's 8 track system was converted to a solid state equivalent. Of course, these 8 track tapes run in a continuous loop in lieu of channels.

Most of my youth was during the cassette phase. The Tandberg TCD 330 cassette player (shown in post #1 above) does a nice job making many of my old cassettes sound more like compact discs in clarity.

#34 7 years ago
    Quoted from dmbjunky:

Do you think it's a question of pairing it with the right speakers? Does volume have anything to do with it? I imagine more powerful receivers would work better when pushed harder.

I cannot attest to the superiority of the Marantz 2285b over the more powerful 2385 from personal experience, having never owned either. However, I have participated in audio forums for a few years and this is the consensus among those who have owned both units.

Also, the 2285b is revered by the audio review magazine editors and other audio gurus, both then and now. Thus, I'm never surprised to read about the 2285b topping the list of just about any vintage seventies receiver in a head-to-head comparison.

Indeed, I would like to add a 2285b to my stereo line-up, at some point.

#36 7 years ago
    Quoted from Darcy:

The thickness of the tape in 8 track was its best feature. Hardy tape compared to the cassette.

I know that Pinsider John Robertson of John's Jukes in Canada is able to duplicate some of these old arcade game 8 track tapes. I have purchased a few from him. He's able to successfully splice the tape precisely because the tape has girth. However, he's described the treading process as utterly maddening, when the tape unravels.

#43 7 years ago
    Quoted from Half_Life:

Once the new runs have been allowed to set in the adhesive, you need to apply the 3M NF30 (Milloxane) sealant. Although the can sent by Magnepan had a small brush applicator included I decided to use a 1" foam brush for applying the sealant. I applied two light coats, waiting 12 hours between each one. Light coats is the key here as you want the mylar to remain flexible.
    While these were drying I decided to work on the crossover network. I had ordered some replacement capacitors as I assumed the existing ones would be dried out after 40 years and the values changed. Just for grins, after removing the caps, I tested them on my little component tester. Yep, confirmed; both capacitors were definitely way out of spec. They were supposed to be 12mfd and tested out as roughly 38mfd; definitely changing the bandwidth of the circuit.
    I also decided to replace the "connection block" (nothing more than some connector rings riveted to the mounting plate) with something a bit more forgiving to work with. The old connections were made using silver solder due to the dissimilar metals being used (copper wires, copper connectors and aluminum wires). Although I was trained in the Navy on how to solder to aluminum with silver solder, the process is not easy and I'm far out of practice. All pieces to be soldered need to be scrupulously clean and heated to the right temperature. I made one attempt and decided on a better method. I substituted a standard screw terminal connection block. All wires/component wires were sanded clean, dipped in No-Ox-ID (to prevent oxidation/corrosion) and then placed into the block.
    1st pic shows entire panel coated with Milloxane
    2nd pic shows original crossover network with connections
    3rd / 4th pic shows tested value of old capacitors
    5th pic shows new connection block with new capacitor

Fascinating series of posts, Half_Life.

I'm in my bedroom on Pinside, listening to an album, so I figured that I would post a photo of the workhorse Dual 1229Q turntable I've had for several decades. Dual's turntables were highly regarded in their time. Their simple and elegant engineering has stood the test of time, in my view.

Incidentally, I use Novus 1 with my Discwasher to clean my albums and stylus. I'm wondering if others do the same.

20170314_192947 (resized).jpg20170314_192947 (resized).jpg

20170314_190726 (resized).jpg20170314_190726 (resized).jpg

$T2eC16hHJHUFFfkZGh,QBRqd-MbHMw~~60_57 (resized).JPG$T2eC16hHJHUFFfkZGh,QBRqd-MbHMw~~60_57 (resized).JPG

2 weeks later
    #69 7 years ago

For anyone in need of a quad decoder for a Marantz receiver, currently on eBay are two auctions (links below), one for an SQA-2 and the other for a 2B model. I often see the inferior SQA-1 decoders for sale. The more advanced SQA-2 and 2B decoders are harder to find in working condition. I have heard that the 2 is actually better than the 2B.

ebay.com link: Marantz SQA 2 Decoder for Model 4300 Model 4400 Quadradial System Receiver

ebay.com link: MARANTZ SQA 2B 4 CHANNEL DECODER EXCELLENT CONDITION

1 week later
    #73 7 years ago

I've been wanting to transfer my vinyl and cassette music to cd for awhile and I wished to do so sans my computer. I didn't want to toy with PC software, sound cards and CD writer drives, even in the interest of improved fidelity. Most of my dubbing was going to be vinyl (as opposed to cassette) to cd so the fidelity ought to be okay even absent equalization tweaks. Also, there's only so much one can do to improve the sound on an old cassette, in my opinion.

My research led me to purchase a Tascam CC-222MKII, which is a revised edition of the first integrated device made to accomplish this task. The unit was made by Teac's Professional Division in about 2005. Back then, this particular model retailed for about $1,000, as best I can tell. Now, clean ones sell on eBay, with the wireless remote, in the $350 - $425 range (an SL model seems to sell for two or three times that amount. . .unsure precisely why). Often, the older equipment is superior to the newer stuff. That is the case with the various CC-222 models as compared to newer Teac decks.

There are several iterations of this device, some of which will also transfer to the MP3 format. If you buy rewritable compact discs, you can record over your previous recordings. I think that you can also record from cd to cassette (although I suspect few would care about that feature). These devices can even dub the same source simultaneously (e.g. vinyl to both cassette and cd). The Tascam supports all of the bias varieties of cassette tape, including metal tape. Most importantly, the units in the CC-222 series have dedicated, grounded RIAA phono inputs to connect directly to the turntable facilitating an easy burn to compact disc. The phono stage is the key for me.

This model does not support the high speed CD-RW blank discs (later units do, though, I think). Also, some of these dubbing units can be finicky about needing a particular name-brand blank CD and/or capacity (650 MB vs. 700 MB). It's my understanding that several consumers reported their units as defective because the screen kept reading "disc error," when in fact they were simply using unsupported blank discs.

Right now, I'm listening to cassettes and compact discs and they sound pretty darn good through my Setton 69 WPC receiver and Energy RC10 speakers. I will report back, after I dub a few items. Meanwhile, if anyone on this forum has had experience with Tascam dubbing units, please chime in.

20170407_202035 (resized).jpg20170407_202035 (resized).jpg

1 week later
    #74 7 years ago

Well, my effort with the Tascam (post #73 above) combo unit failed. The unit successfully created a high-quality duplication of a cassette (for about a minute) to a compact disc and then froze. The playback fidelity was better than expected before the defect manifested itself.

Consequently, I returned the Tascam and decided to go in a different direction. The question I asked myself was whether there were any outstanding compact disc players at the $500 price point. It turns out that in 2007, Cambridge Audio made an exceptional cd player (model 840C) which then retailed for $1,500 and which audio critics all agreed rivaled cd players in the $5K to $6K price category. That garnered my attention, especially since in 2017, the Cambridge 840C could be acquired for about $500, if you got lucky on eBay.

I found one, with a silver faceplate, on eBay from a high-end audio seller, with original box and manual and which was utilized exclusively with high-end equipment. Having now tested the 840C, I am utterly astounded at the sonic quality, plus the build quality is equally evident. Below is a link to one of the reviews. Also, below is a photo.

http://www.dagogo.com/cambridge-audio-azur-840c-cd-player-review

20170419_222209 (resized).jpg20170419_222209 (resized).jpg

#78 7 years ago
    Quoted from Methos:

What is driving you to convert analog sound to digital?

I bought the Tascam unit with the objective to transfer albums and cassettes to compact discs so that I could download the compact discs to my car's cd memory. I never got into the iPod craze. Thus, much of my music remains on the vinyl and cassette formats.

At home, I prefer the old records spinning on the turntable. However, I must confess that this Cambridge Azur 840C cd player produces outstanding sound, which does not cause listening fatigue, like most digitized music I've heard. It's not a cd recorder; just a cd player.

2 weeks later
    #84 6 years ago

I added a Kyocera D-811 cassette deck to my bedroom system. It was made in in Japan in about 1987. Reviews tout it as a 2-head deck comparable to most high-end 3 head decks, utilizing many of the same key components as Nakamichi decks. The Kyocera unit has Sankyo based transports, a direct-drive front capstan and the heads are sendust.

I purchased an OEM belt kit online to repair the fast forward and rewind controls, which aren't functioning. The sound is terrific, though. My old cassette tapes (and I have a lot of them) perform on par with compact discs on this unit and on my Tandberg TCD330 Norway-made 3 head deck as well. Until I bought the Tandberg unit, I was skeptical that a cassette tape, especially a 40 year-old self-recorded tape, could sound so clean.

When I was a teenager and young adult, I created dozens of cassette tape compilations of my favorite songs, many titles of which are obscure. I remember popping a tape in my car's cassette player on a date and knowing right away whether she and I shared the same taste in music. So I suppose that these the tapes themselves, much like albums, apart from the music, bring me back to my youth. I wonder if others enjoy listening to music on different formats, like me.

This Kyocera cassette deck is in fantastic cosmetic condition. It even came with both the wooden side panels as well as the gloss black side panels. The last photo shows the unit with the black side panels installed. Original manual and warranty card was also included! Inasmuch as the warranty duration was 1 year, I suspect that I'm beyond the covered period for my new belt. Here's a review, with the performance details:

http://www.hifi-classic.net/review/kyocera-d-811-482.html

20170507_154246 (resized).jpg20170507_154246 (resized).jpg

20170507_154235 (resized).jpg20170507_154235 (resized).jpg

20170507_150129 (resized).jpg20170507_150129 (resized).jpg

#86 6 years ago
    Quoted from Half_Life:

Here's a pic of a recently restored Carver TFM-15 and Carver CT-23 that reside in my pinball shop. Picked them up at Goodwill for next to nothing as both were non-working. They are connected to my Magnepan MG-1's.
    I repair/restore vintage audio equipment as my other hobby. I switch back and forth between this and pinball repair/restoration so as not to get bored.

Nice find. Audio equipment at Goodwill in my area typically carries a price tag of $15 - $25.

#98 6 years ago
    Quoted from Chisox:

Wow! Nice stuff. More pics please, especially of the AU-111G.

Agreed. Sansui's 1970s equipment was (and still is) eye candy. I had a low-end Sansui amp and receiver (depicted in post #1 in this thread) in college.

The issue with Sansui amps is the capacitor glue in some, but not all units. It degrades and causes corrosion. Other issues involve the double diodes and the fuse resistors. Once these problems are corrected, the Sansui amps are wonderful, in my view.

2 weeks later
    #100 6 years ago

Anyone have an opinion about Monster Power Conditioners, like the model HTS5000 shown below? I have a model HTS3600 as well and don't know much about either unit, other than that they are popular for video equipment systems.

I bought them to consolidate electrical outlets and to admire the cool blue dial.

20170524_205915 (resized).jpg20170524_205915 (resized).jpg

20170524_205837 (resized).jpg20170524_205837 (resized).jpg

#102 6 years ago
    Quoted from Chisox:

I have have all my components (McIntosh and Marantz) running into the HTS 3500 and have for years. Can't comment on whether it cleans up dirty power or not but I know it's tripped in the past and cut off all signal to my amp and pre-amp whenever there's a brown out or power outage.

Good to know. I wish that the units had a simple on-off switch, though. There seem to be a large variety of models.

1 month later
    #118 6 years ago
    Quoted from littlecammi:

My vintage quadraphonic gear is in the living room with 4 JBL L100 studio monitors in the corners.
    Right walnut tower for stereo: Technics turntable + Sony CD changer + Marantz cassette deck + Marantz 3800 preamp + Marantz 510M power amp + Marantz 150 tuner + Teac 860 esoteric series cassette deck.
    Left tower for quadraphonic: Dual 701 turntable with Audio Technica CD-4 cartridge + JVC disc demodulator + Marantz 4000 preamp with SQ module + Marantz 250 power amp + Teac 3340 4-channel reel-to-reel deck.

Terrific solid wood racks. . .on casters!

5 months later
    #136 6 years ago

Does anyone else utilize Monster Power units with their components? I use the pictured one for my upstairs system and I have a lower end one for my gameroom system. I confess that I do not appreciate whether they have any meaningful value.

20171206_205324 (resized).jpg20171206_205324 (resized).jpg

2 months later
    #154 6 years ago

A couple of these Lego devices actually function. Vinyl on plastic. Who would've thunk it?

1706816-o_198pqq5fgdfj1us08fbj9acu07-thumbnail-full (resized).jpg1706816-o_198pqq5fgdfj1us08fbj9acu07-thumbnail-full (resized).jpg

1565360-o_18vrdacqm6a61uqs1vou1pei1f3ph-thumbnail-full (resized).JPG1565360-o_18vrdacqm6a61uqs1vou1pei1f3ph-thumbnail-full (resized).JPG

lego_turntable_00 (resized).jpglego_turntable_00 (resized).jpg

1800279_10203607640944535_8434023949044529392_n (resized).jpg1800279_10203607640944535_8434023949044529392_n (resized).jpg

diy-lego-dj-01_rect540 (resized).jpgdiy-lego-dj-01_rect540 (resized).jpg

2yynqjp (resized).jpg2yynqjp (resized).jpg

22659193519_16bf197b72_o (resized).jpg22659193519_16bf197b72_o (resized).jpg

maxresdefault (resized).jpgmaxresdefault (resized).jpg

5 months later
    #172 5 years ago
    Quoted from Mikedenton49:

Hey bros,
    I just inherited a massive stack of vinyls and record player and cassette deck. Some of the records are from the 50's and 60's. A lot of religious stuff, elvis, Johnny cash, a few other names.
    Also there are equivalent 8 tracks not pictured. Literally a box full of them. Decent titles too. Eagles, star wars soundtrack. Stuff like that.
    How would I go about not getting ripped off finding out what they are worth and finding a buyer?
    [quoted image]

Mickey Treat of <[email protected]> can advise you on the 8-track tapes. There is a market for them, albeit a limited one.

10 months later
    #195 4 years ago
    Quoted from dirkdiggler:

Not sure where to post this for some info so figured I'd start here. Picked upped this console stereo for my wife last weekend. I can find similar models but not this specific model and was hoping someone knows of a site for some guidance. It's a Grundig Majestic model SO 150 U a 1 Made in West Germany. Not the loudest but looks cool and my wife is very happy with the purchase.
    [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

There are 2 Facebook groups, with similar names, which can help with your inquiry. They are:

1) Vintage Stereo & hi-fi equipment; and
    2) Vintage HI-FI and Stereo Equipment

Nice unit. Good luck!

4 months later
    #199 4 years ago
    Quoted from ToucanF16:

I just saw this thread! I have a restored Thorens TD124 and recently purchased an AKAI GX747 DBX reel to reel and Yamaha PX-3 linear tracking turntable. I'm currently building an Elekit TU-8500 tube preamp and Elekit TU-8600 using 300B output tubes. Be sure to take a close look at Elekit's offerings if you like kits. They make great affordable audiophile kits.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Welcome. Nice gear, Matt.

10 months later
    #214 3 years ago

I have added a Nakamichi LX-3 two-head cassette deck to my bedroom equipment cluster. I'm impressed with it so far.

The Energy RC10 speakers are extremely efficient, especially given their compact size and inexpensive cost. The vintage headphones are Sennheiser HD424.

20201019_142201 (resized).jpg20201019_142201 (resized).jpg20201019_142223 (resized).jpg20201019_142223 (resized).jpg20201019_142241 (resized).jpg20201019_142241 (resized).jpg
    3 months later
    #236 3 years ago
    Quoted from Lovef2k:

I just stumbled upon this thread, man some of you guys have some high end equipment. Makes me jelly. Before pinball I was dabbling in HIFI a little. I currently have a Pioneer SX-1010 paired with a set of CS-99A. Also a Kyocera DA-610 with remote and manual. All in great shape. I have a Realistic STA-2000D in the workshop paired with the Realistic Nova-10's. I also have 2 pairs of Mach Ones. One pair very nice and the other I plan to restore.
    In the past had:
    Pioneer SX-980
    Pioneer SX-1050
    Realistic STA-2100
    Kenwood KA-750?
    Hitachi, don't remember model
    BTW, does anybody do tuner alignments anymore? Metro Phila area to be specific.

I recommend Audio-Tronics on Cooper Landing Road in Cherry Hill, NJ. I have used them several times over the years.

2 months later
    #290 2 years ago

Last month, I brought 2 cassette decks for service to Audio-tronics in Cherry Hill, NJ. Frank, the owner, has been servicing my vintage stereo equipment for decades. Frank states that he has never been busier.

He's backed up 18 months. Customers as far as Maryland, 200+ miles away, are traveling to his shop.

He also talked about a tech (in NY or MA) who charges thousands to repair Nakamichi, often far more than the cost to simply replace the equipment. Evidently, that guy is super busy too.

5 months later
    #343 2 years ago

I am very impressed with this Auris bluMe Pro Bluetooth device, which allows you to play any streamed music (e.g. YouTube, Spotify) from your cellphone or computer through your old-school monster stereo system.

This is the Pro model, which was just released ($169 retail). There's a predecessor model which lacks the information screen ($119) but is nearly identical in specs.

20211025_203427 (resized).jpg20211025_203427 (resized).jpg20211025_203611 (resized).jpg20211025_203611 (resized).jpg20211025_203901 (resized).jpg20211025_203901 (resized).jpg
    7 months later
    #390 1 year ago

Lordy! Some spring cleaning today turned up an unexpected discovery. . .my late dad's old "The Fisher" amplifier.

20220529_201157 (resized).jpg20220529_201157 (resized).jpg20220529_201221 (resized).jpg20220529_201221 (resized).jpg20220529_201231 (resized).jpg20220529_201231 (resized).jpg

#399 1 year ago
    Quoted from jrpinball:

My trusty TEAC A-2300S reel to reel deck. They made a zillion of these. Robust, solid, and great sounding basic RTR. It was a filthy mess with a totally seized pinch roller lever when I got it for $40. Fixed it up, and I love it!
    [quoted image]

How did you manage to "unseize" the lever?

#401 1 year ago

How much heat and for how long? Blow dryer heat? What's the repair technique? I have a seized pinch roller or some similar issue with a cassette deck. Thanks.

9 months later
    #511 1 year ago
    Screenshot_20230304_152356_Facebook (resized).jpgScreenshot_20230304_152356_Facebook (resized).jpg
    2 months later
    #563 11 months ago

I saw this today on an internet stereo group page. . .a speaker coffee table. I guess that every hobby eventually ends up next to a couch.

Screenshot_20230525_002706_Facebook (resized).jpgScreenshot_20230525_002706_Facebook (resized).jpgScreenshot_20230525_002709_Facebook (resized).jpgScreenshot_20230525_002709_Facebook (resized).jpgScreenshot_20230525_002716_Facebook (resized).jpgScreenshot_20230525_002716_Facebook (resized).jpg
    2 months later
    #645 8 months ago
    Quoted from izzy:

Is it in poor taste to ask about car stereo equipment? Sorry if it is, sorry.
    I'm looking for a car 8 track tape deck in working cond. Looking to keep it under $100 including shipping.
    thx

Here's a working one on eBay. Most on eBay are untested and much less expensive.

ebay.com link: itm

Screenshot_20230809_224006_eBay (resized).jpgScreenshot_20230809_224006_eBay (resized).jpg
    1 month later
    #669 7 months ago

I just set up this semi-automatic, direct drive Hitachi HT-550 turntable as a 3rd-tier system with a pedestrian 35 WPC Fisher RS-1035 receiver, Stanton cartridge and bookshelf Energy RC-10 speakers. I'm extremely impressed and surprised with the sonic and build quality of this Hitachi turntable. It's rock solid, quiet and eye-catching.

The sound is on par with my 100 WPC Marantz quad 4300 receiver with Marantz 6350Q turntable and my Setton RS-660 and RS-440 with Dual 1229Q turntable (all compared with identical speakers and comparable cartridges).

I guess that a system is only as good as the speakers, as the saying goes.

I like the Hitachi turntable so much that I bought an original stainless steel headshell to complete the original aesthetic.

20230913_220855 (resized).jpg20230913_220855 (resized).jpg20230913_221355 (resized).jpg20230913_221355 (resized).jpg20230913_221407 (resized).jpg20230913_221407 (resized).jpg20230913_221414 (resized).jpg20230913_221414 (resized).jpg
    #675 7 months ago

I added an original stainless steel headshell with Pickering cartridge to this newly-acquired Hitachi HT-550 turntable.

While it doesn't sound any better than the Stanton cartridge in a black headshell, which it replaced (shown in post 669 above), I prefer its appearance, especially with the chrome disc stabilizer weight.

I subscribe to the belief that much of vintage audio enjoyment is derived from the visual and tactile aspect of the equipment, apart from the actual sonic performance. Blasphemy, I know.

20230919_203820 (resized).jpg20230919_203820 (resized).jpg20230919_203954 (resized).jpg20230919_203954 (resized).jpg20230919_204008 (resized).jpg20230919_204008 (resized).jpg
    #677 7 months ago

This album rack arrived yesterday. Forward-facing LP covers are so much easier to identify than relying on the album cover's thin edge. My aging eyes appreciate any help they can get.

I am storing groups of records in it for current listening and will rotate groups periodically with my full LP collection stored in the traditional sideways orientation.

This particular rack is a new product on Amazon as of August 2023. It's sturdy, utilitarian and decent-looking. It's more rustic than I prefer; but, I like it.

Screenshot_20230919_215914_Amazon Shopping (resized).jpgScreenshot_20230919_215914_Amazon Shopping (resized).jpg
    1 week later
    #689 6 months ago
    Quoted from Lermods:

I had a change of heart after I posted, I just can’t toss them after 36 years. I’m going to refoam them. Already stripped the old stuff off, new foam will be here in a week. My 15 year old son is going to use them. We just need to look for a receiver to drive them, looking for a vintage receiver, can’t have it any other way.
    [quoted image]

I am in New Jersey and have this functioning Marantz 4025 available. It was professionally serviced a few years ago. It might be a good affordable, starter receiver for your teenager. It's nearly perfect cosmetically and quite a looker. Here are 2 photos of the actual receiver, plus a link to a review.

https://www.hifiengine.com/manual_library/marantz/4025.shtml

Screenshot_20231001_153232_Gallery (resized).jpgScreenshot_20231001_153232_Gallery (resized).jpgScreenshot_20231001_153522_Gallery (resized).jpgScreenshot_20231001_153522_Gallery (resized).jpg
    3 weeks later
    #704 6 months ago

My 1st speaker refoaming effort. I've had the refoaming kit for several years and finally undertook the task. I took the easier approach by opting to attach the new foam to the outside (as opposed to the underside) of the cone. I used more glue than I probably needed so I ended up with some visible residue.

I added extra polyfill, in accordance with online recommendations.

These small bookshelf speakers defy their diminutive size in performance, especially the unique Linaeum tweeter. These are Radio Shack's Optimus PRO LX5 speakers, which sold new for $150 each in 1995, which is when I bought them.

I am very pleased with the results, definitely worth the $20 refoaming kit for the pair. The sonics are very good. The tweeter produces a wide-dispersion radiating sound. Here are 2 reviews, one article and one video review.

https://www.hifi-classic.net/review/optimus-pro-lx5-533.html

20231022_165930 (resized).jpg20231022_165930 (resized).jpg20231024_195842 (resized).jpg20231024_195842 (resized).jpg20231024_200431 (resized).jpg20231024_200431 (resized).jpg20231024_200435 (resized).jpg20231024_200435 (resized).jpg20231024_221416 (resized).jpg20231024_221416 (resized).jpg20231024_225014 (resized).jpg20231024_225014 (resized).jpgScreenshot_20231024_222356_Gallery (resized).jpgScreenshot_20231024_222356_Gallery (resized).jpg
    #705 6 months ago

Naturally, now that I've successfully refoamed my Optimus PRO LX5 woofers, I've ordered a pair of these kevlar replacements. We'll see whether I prefer the originals.

Screenshot_20231025_014353_Chrome (resized).jpgScreenshot_20231025_014353_Chrome (resized).jpgScreenshot_20231025_015329_Chrome (resized).jpgScreenshot_20231025_015329_Chrome (resized).jpg
    #707 6 months ago
    Quoted from GPS:

Always admired the Nakamichi Dragon. When in school dreamed about having one.
    Reality, I use a Yamaha A700 integrated amp. The one that had auto class A amplification. Always sounded good to me although I’m sure not really high end

Tandberg 3014 has been crowned the "dragon slayer" by some audiophiles.
    https://spectrum.ieee.org/the-consumer-electronics-hall-of-fame-tandberg-tcd-3014-tape-deck

#708 6 months ago

To refoam or not to refoam, that is the question. Not sure what Shakespeare would do. Here's my experience.

As posted above, I refoamed a pair of original Optimus PRO LX5 woofers and was extremely pleased with the musical results. The process required careful steps over several evenings. Despite my efforts, I couldn't avert glue residue here and there.

Instead of refoaming a 2nd pair of Optimus PRO LX5 speakers, I swapped the original woofers for new Kevlar woofers, with identical mounting orientations. As with my refoamed set, I added polyfill.

Call me lazy. The Kevlar woofer replacement took no time at all compared to the tedious and messy refoaming task. Refoaming kits cost $20 - $25 for these woofers. These Kevlar speakers cost $29 each, about $72 for the pair, including shipping. Another vendor sells the same Kevlar speakers for $98 for the pair shipped. . .go figure?

Thereafter, I compared the Kevlar set to the original woofer set. Even though the Kevlars are in the break-in stage, they produce a similarly enjoyable sound compared with the originals and they look better when the grills are off. Conclusion: for these speakers in this low-price range, I recommend springing for the $29 Kevlar woofers, unless you're retired and time isn't a factor.

Here's a photo of the two different woofers side-by-side. Incidentally, Radio Shack later released an LX5II version, with some modifications.
    I have read that the earlier LX5 version has a superior silk ribbon; but, I cannot confirm.

20231027_231323 (resized).jpg20231027_231323 (resized).jpg20231028_003032 (resized).jpg20231028_003032 (resized).jpg
    1 month later
    #732 4 months ago

Am I the only one here who likes to dim the lights just to watch the unpredictable DNA strands dance on the oscilloscope? Do I need some kind of audiophile intervention?

Screenshot_20231208_181805_Gallery (resized).jpgScreenshot_20231208_181805_Gallery (resized).jpgScreenshot_20231208_181546_Gallery (resized).jpgScreenshot_20231208_181546_Gallery (resized).jpg
    #734 4 months ago
    Quoted from ultimategameroom:

What is the use of an oscilloscope in a home stereo situation?
    They sure do look impressive / amazing!
    I know they are used by professionals for testing and repair work.
    Nice Kyocera cassette Deck! Did you buy it new back in the day?

It's a 4 channel Panasonic oscilloscope, the same as its 1st cousin Technics model. I have her hooked up to a Marantz 4300 quad receiver.
    I bought it about 10 years ago just to watch the display. Prices have quadrupled for some oscilloscopes in the last 5 or so years, really crazy.

As for the D-811 Kyocera cassette deck, I bought it about 8 years ago and it performs exceptionally well. The whole Kyocera cassette line is impressive, in my experience. When I was a teenager in the 1970s, the only decks I could afford were Sankyo and Optonica (the latter brand has developed a bit of a cult following and I also had an Optonica turntable as a kid).

My favorite cassette deck is my Tandberg TCD-330, though. It's remarkable. The Tandberg makes cassettes sound like compact discs. I had a Nakamichi cassette deck, which I sold because it was too temperamental.

Which cassette decks do you like?

#740 4 months ago

These alphabetical organizers for albums are good for people with audiophile OCD.

20231209_221655 (resized).jpg20231209_221655 (resized).jpg
    #743 4 months ago
    Quoted from xsvtoys:

Not even close to my level of OCD. Albums are not in alphabetical order. Also the absolute worst crime is committed: Lynyrd Skynyrd is filed in the S’s.

I'm not really a Lynyrd Skynyrd fan. I wouldn't even notice it under any alphabetical category.

As a teenager, I heard about the plane crash on my car radio. I drove right to the local mall to buy that album: Street Survivors, with the later discontinued flame art cover, reissued with a plain black background. . .perhaps a collector's item today.

You're right. I suffer from more like nonobsessive noncompulsive just-plain messy disorder. ;>

All of my favorite albums, like my Zombies LPs, are in a separate desktop, forward-facing tiered rack anyway for easier accessibility.

#746 4 months ago
    Quoted from xsvtoys:

If its an artist, you file by last name. Neal Diamond goes in the Ds. But if it is a name, but not a real name just a made-up name for the band, then it goes by the first word. Jethro Tull therefore goes in the Js. Not the Ts. There is no real person named Jethro Tull.

Actually, Jethro Tull is a real person. . .historically.

Screenshot_20231211_150827_Google (resized).jpgScreenshot_20231211_150827_Google (resized).jpg
    #749 4 months ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

But the band should be filed under “J”

I agree. I'm sure that's where the band's records were found in the record store bins. Sam Goody and Tower Records were two popular stores in southern New Jersey in the 1970s.

It was (and still is) so much more fun perusing vinyl than shopping for 8-track tapes, cassettes and compact discs. Flipping the LP cover to reverse side and back again was really satisfying.

I love streaming songs on Spotify through my vintage systems via my Auris bluetooth devices. But, I have a soft spot for vinyl, including the album covers and inserts.

1 week later
    #776 4 months ago

Facebook marketplace in Philadelphia.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/992947341810527/?mibextid=dXMIcH

Screenshot_20231224_191736_Facebook (resized).jpgScreenshot_20231224_191736_Facebook (resized).jpgScreenshot_20231224_191740_Facebook (resized).jpgScreenshot_20231224_191740_Facebook (resized).jpgScreenshot_20231224_191805_Facebook (resized).jpgScreenshot_20231224_191805_Facebook (resized).jpgScreenshot_20231224_191808_Facebook (resized).jpgScreenshot_20231224_191808_Facebook (resized).jpgScreenshot_20231224_191811_Facebook (resized).jpgScreenshot_20231224_191811_Facebook (resized).jpgScreenshot_20231224_191847_Facebook (resized).jpgScreenshot_20231224_191847_Facebook (resized).jpg

1 week later
    #781 3 months ago

This would be a cool "vinyl floor" for a residential music room.

Screenshot_20231231_170949_Facebook (resized).jpgScreenshot_20231231_170949_Facebook (resized).jpg
    1 week later
    #783 3 months ago

Post photos of your secondary systems. Here's my bedroom audio equipment.

*Marantz 4300 quad receiver with quad module
    *Dual 1229Q turntable compatible for quad
    *Kyocera DA-610 compact disc player
    *Kyocera D-811 cassette deck
    *Panasonic SH-3433 4 channel audio scope
    *Auris blueMe pro bluetooth
    *Energy RC-10 speakers
    *Optimus PRO LX5 speakers

20240109_190242 (resized).jpg20240109_190242 (resized).jpg
    #787 3 months ago

I came upon this cartoon and found it to be funny. Nevertheless, I love my vinyl.

Screenshot_20240110_213940_Facebook (resized).jpgScreenshot_20240110_213940_Facebook (resized).jpg
    2 weeks later
    #805 87 days ago

I drove 150 miles roundtrip in a downpour and missed most of today's Ravens-Chiefs championship game today to pick up this album rack. Measuring 47 inches wide, 24 inches deep and 53 inches high with its wheels, it barely fit into my SUV.

It features 3 pull-out drawers on heavy-duty sliders. The seller had these custom built for his record shop. Here are photos posted by the seller.

I've been looking for a commercial album rack for a few years. The consumer racks out there are overpriced, cheap particle board units and the commercial ones are typically very expensive. This one is built like a tank. I can't wait to get this thing into my basement arcade and load her with my albums.

Screenshot_20240128_162337_Facebook (resized).jpgScreenshot_20240128_162337_Facebook (resized).jpgScreenshot_20240128_195543_Facebook (resized).jpgScreenshot_20240128_195543_Facebook (resized).jpgScreenshot_20240128_195551_Facebook (resized).jpgScreenshot_20240128_195551_Facebook (resized).jpgScreenshot_20240128_195554_Facebook (resized).jpgScreenshot_20240128_195554_Facebook (resized).jpg
    3 weeks later
    #810 65 days ago

I finally got this solid wood beast into my basement and started the process of loading her up with albums. . .over halfway there. Yes, the "M - O" tab is backwards. . .forgot to flip it for the photos.

Goodbye to the days of crouching and squinting to identify a record by its skinny spine.

Cinderblock walls aren't very chic. But, when I'm saddled in my favorite listening chair and enveloped in the music, the only thing I notice are the pinball machines. My brother took that photo in New York City. I liked it so much that I framed it and had it copyrighted.

20240219_214434 (resized).jpg20240219_214434 (resized).jpg20240219_215459 (resized).jpg20240219_215459 (resized).jpg20240219_215546 (resized).jpg20240219_215546 (resized).jpg20240219_215554 (resized).jpg20240219_215554 (resized).jpg

2 weeks later
    #819 50 days ago

Is there any stereo console ever created more hideous than this 1980s vintage monstrosity combo, consisting of a t.v., turntable, am/fm tuner, cassette and 8-track player?

Screenshot_20240305_211816_Facebook (resized).jpgScreenshot_20240305_211816_Facebook (resized).jpg
    4 weeks later
    #826 20 days ago
    Screenshot_20240404_211828_Facebook (resized).jpgScreenshot_20240404_211828_Facebook (resized).jpg
    2 weeks later
    #832 6 days ago

Hmmm. My quad system is not similarly equipped.

Screenshot_20240418_193425_Facebook (resized).jpgScreenshot_20240418_193425_Facebook (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider znet.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vintage-stereo-club-monster-receivers-cassette-cd-players?tu=znet and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.