(Topic ID: 183364)

Vintage STEREO Club (Monster Receivers, Cassette, CD Players, Turntables, R2R)

By ZNET

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 833 posts
  • 132 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 days ago by ToucanF16
  • Topic is favorited by 57 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot_20240418_193425_Facebook (resized).jpg
    20240416_215458 (resized).jpg
    20240416_215444 (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20240404_211828_Facebook (resized).jpg
    IMG_20240325_173231825 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20240325_173030669 (resized).jpg
    IMG_3830 (resized).jpg
    PRODPIC-3119 (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20240305_211816_Facebook (resized).jpg
    drapes match pillows (resized).jpg
    bookcase (resized).jpg
    IMG_6181 (resized).jpeg
    speaker with stand (resized).jpg
    right front L100 (resized).jpg
    left front L100 grille off (resized).jpg
    towers 2 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ultimategameroom.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#339 2 years ago

I picked up this Hitachi cassette deck a few weeks ago. Completely serviced and gone thru. Original retail price was $750 in 1982. I dreamed of owning a sweet deck like this when I was a teenager.

2CCFD0EF-21B6-4F82-87FB-DDAB423846A0 (resized).png2CCFD0EF-21B6-4F82-87FB-DDAB423846A0 (resized).png7108BAF1-F455-495B-9496-160A7ED046E2 (resized).jpeg7108BAF1-F455-495B-9496-160A7ED046E2 (resized).jpeg
    1 year later
    #558 11 months ago
    Quoted from drummermike:

Picked this up today at Renniger's in Kutztown. Dual power supply and 75 watts.
    I may use it as a preamp for the SAE power amp. My Rotel preamp has an issue with the volume control.
    [quoted image]

Nice score!
    What is the nice looking cassette deck in the background?

1 month later
    #590 9 months ago

I have that same DogfishHead Record Store Day print on my stereo room/den wall.

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
    #594 9 months ago
    Quoted from Jason43:

I personally wouldn't set foot in the first shop again. That's some shady mechanic nonsense.

I agree!
    unless it’s overheating or not working properly there’s no reason for a full restoration.

1 month later
    #658 8 months ago
    Quoted from Clytor:

WHY IS THE FLOOR WET, TODD?!

I DON’T know Margo!

1 month later
    #694 6 months ago
    Quoted from drummermike:

A few months ago I turned on my Tandberg deck. Immediately the meter lights came on and went off. Now the deck is dead.
    I took it apart and found a fuse for the transformer. It is still OK. Anyone have any ideas why it is dead? Thanks.
    [quoted image]

That looks like it’s in amazing condition.

#698 6 months ago
    Quoted from drummermike:

Too bad it is broke.

Pro Digital in Broomall Pa was a great place to get repairs done until the owner passed a couple years ago. Paul maintained my DAT / Cassette decks and laserdisc players for many years.

He was a repair genius but when you walked in the place it looked like a vintage Hi Fi hoarder lived there. Components piled up from the floor to the ceiling everywhere. Packing popcorn littered the floor. My buddy who sent me there in the 1990’s said when you walk in the door you are going to want to turn around and run away but don’t because he can fix anything and his rates are extremely fair.

1 month later
    #718 5 months ago
    Quoted from Pinstym:

Found this at the curb today. AKAI GX-747 dbx.
    Powers on. Standby Direction seems to be stuck on. The tension arms move back and forth. Clueless.
    Dropping this of at my Father-in-law's. He seems pretty stoked.
    [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

A few hundred dollars in service/ repairs may = a deck that’s worth several thousand dollars.

#720 5 months ago

Good Luck!
    25 years ago my buddy worked part time at a store that bought and sold used mid/high end stereo equipment. One day a woman brought in two Nagra Portable Reel to Reel machines. She had gotten divorced and wanted a stereo receiver. My buddy’s boss traded her a marantz receiver for them. All the Nagras needed was cleaning and adjustment.

Hopefully your find will be on that same type of once in a lifetime scores!!!!

#727 5 months ago
    Quoted from jrpinball:

She obviously didn't know what she had, or didn't care. No Marantz receiver is worth TWO Nagras!

I think it was a combination of both of those reasons.

1 week later
    #730 5 months ago
    Quoted from Pinstym:

Will do. My Father-in-law has tapes. He's got at least 10 reel to reel machines. 10,000+ records. Out of control.

Please post a few pics if possible.
    Sounds like a place I’d like to be trapped during a huge snowstorm!

1 week later
    #733 4 months ago
    Quoted from ZNET:

Am I the only one here who likes to dim the lights just to watch the unpredictable DNA strands dance on the oscilloscope? Do I need some kind of audiophile intervention?[quoted image][quoted image]

What is the use of an oscilloscope in a home stereo situation?
    They sure do look impressive / amazing!

I know they are used by professionals for testing and repair work.

Nice Kyocera cassette Deck! Did you buy it new back in the day?

#738 4 months ago
    Quoted from ZNET:

It's a 4 channel Panasonic oscilloscope, the same as its 1st cousin Technics model. I have her hooked up to a Marantz 4300 quad receiver.
    I bought it about 10 years ago just to watch the display. Prices have quadrupled for some oscilloscopes in the last 5 or so years, really crazy.
    As for the D-811 Kyocera cassette deck, I bought it about 8 years ago and it performs exceptionally well. The whole Kyocera cassette line is impressive, in my experience. When I was a teenager in the 1970s, the only decks I could afford were Sankyo and Optonica (the latter brand has developed a bit of a cult following and I also had an Optonica turntable as a kid).
    My favorite cassette deck is my Tandberg TCD-330, though. It's remarkable. The Tandberg makes cassettes sound like compact discs. I had a Nakamichi cassette deck, which I sold because it was too temperamental.
    Which cassette decks do you like?

I like my vintage electronics/legacy music and film formats!

I was a teenager in the 1980’s so most of my gear is from the mid 1980’s thru around 1995.
    I’ve got (4) Tascam pro cassette decks, a nice Hitachi and also a Denon model that I bought new back in the early 1990’s. All of them have been serviced /restored.

The Tascam decks are the best as they are professional grade units but for some reason I'm partial to the Hitachi unit for everyday playback.

I have about 2500 cassette tapes and 400+ DAT tapes and about 3000 CDs. Most are Classic Rock but I also have some Blues, Jazz and Bluegrass. Almost all are live soundboard or high quality Audience recordings. The Audience tapes were mostly made with Schoeps or Sennheiser microphones.

I love my Class A Rated Adcom preamp and CJ 200 watt per channel amp. The Adcom has a nice feature. It has a passive/no gain switch so you hear the music as it was recorded/engineered. Volume is slightly lower but my amp has enough balls to compensate.

IMG_5499 (resized).jpegIMG_5499 (resized).jpegIMG_5501 (resized).jpegIMG_5501 (resized).jpegIMG_5502 (resized).jpegIMG_5502 (resized).jpegIMG_5503 (resized).jpegIMG_5503 (resized).jpeg
    #750 4 months ago
    Quoted from ZNET:

I agree. I'm sure that's where the band's records were found in the record store bins. Sam Goody and Tower Records were two popular stores in southern New Jersey in the 1970s.
    It was (and still is) so much more fun perusing vinyl than shopping for 8-track tapes, cassettes and compact discs. Flipping the LP cover to reverse side and back again was really satisfying.
    I love streaming songs on Spotify through my vintage systems via my Auris bluetooth devices. But, I have a soft spot for vinyl, including the album covers and inserts.

We had We Three Records, Sam Goody and The Wall. Having 3 record stores in one mall that wasn’t far away was great. A trip to Tower Records in North East Philadelphia was like visiting Willy Wonka’s Factory. It was a gigantic store and they had a Huge inventory!

#751 4 months ago
    Quoted from xsvtoys:

These were real life important issues back in the day when we all had albums. There would be much debate, even arguments.
    Early on, everyone agreed you would put The Beatles in the B's, so you wouldn't have a big pile of bands all starting with The.
    If its an artist, you file by last name. Neal Diamond goes in the Ds. But if it is a name, but not a real name just a made-up name for the band, then it goes by the first word. Jethro Tull therefore goes in the Js. Not the Ts. There is no real person named Jethro Tull.
    What about Alice Cooper? Its not a real name, that's the band name some would argue. So it goes in the As, some would say. Others would say, well, the artist actually goes by that name, even though its not its given name, so it should go into the Cs.
    Jimi Hendrix would go in the Hs. But what about The Jimi Hendrix Experience??? That's now the band name. Does it go in the Js? Logically it would, but then you probably would put it in the Hs to keep Hendrix all together. But then you broke the rule.
    These things could make you very anxious if you have OCD.

I loaded about 1400 CD’s into iTunes and get very annoyed how it files some albums for all the reasons that you describe.

Darnfangled Contraption!!

#754 4 months ago
    Quoted from gonzo73:

All my Vinyl is organized in loosely alphabetical order, except all the Soundtracks are together, unless it's by John Carpenter... he gets his own section.

I haven’t had a working turntable in almost 30 years. That didn’t stop me from purchasing 4 John Carpenter Albums and about 20 other records in the last 10 years because I might get one in the future. Gotta be prepared!

#758 4 months ago
    Quoted from gonzo73:

Loosely Alphabetical order.. hahaha.. except the Overflow ! I'm outta space !
    I'm sick with Vinyl Fever.
    [quoted image]

If that is a 12 oz. Beer bottle in the pic your receiver is HUGE!

1 month later
    #792 3 months ago
    Quoted from Jason43:

My basement setup, currently a Sansui 5000a, Technics 1310mk2 through Canton Karat 930 speakers. I'll rotate one of the other amps pictured into the setup every so often.
    [quoted image][quoted image]

What is the component below the turntable with the rainbow lights?

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ultimategameroom.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vintage-stereo-club-monster-receivers-cassette-cd-players?tu=ultimategameroom and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.