(Topic ID: 183364)

Vintage STEREO Club (Monster Receivers, Cassette, CD Players, Turntables, R2R)

By ZNET

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 832 posts
  • 132 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 14 hours ago by ZNET
  • Topic is favorited by 57 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot_20240418_193425_Facebook (resized).jpg
    20240416_215458 (resized).jpg
    20240416_215444 (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20240404_211828_Facebook (resized).jpg
    IMG_20240325_173231825 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20240325_173030669 (resized).jpg
    IMG_3830 (resized).jpg
    PRODPIC-3119 (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20240305_211816_Facebook (resized).jpg
    drapes match pillows (resized).jpg
    bookcase (resized).jpg
    IMG_6181 (resized).jpeg
    speaker with stand (resized).jpg
    right front L100 (resized).jpg
    left front L100 grille off (resized).jpg
    towers 2 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ryanbrooks.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#330 2 years ago

I’ve got way too much vintage hifi equipment. I’m going to start parting with some. First up is a pair of JBL 4430’s. If anyone has a hankering for them, send me a PM.

#332 2 years ago
    Quoted from ToucanF16:

Any hint of other goodies you may sell?

A Yamaha flag ship setup-C2, M2 and NS1000s
    A McIntosh C28
    Norman Lab 11’s
    Carver C2 with a pair of Carver M200T
    Possibly 2 amp pairs, Hitachi HMA8500 MKII (will only sell as a pair because I feel they MUST be bridged to show what they can do) and I have a pair of Epicure amps-I got one and immediately sought out another to replace my McIntosh MC2205s. I’ve never seen an amplifier as impressive as the Epicure (and it has no p channel transistors)-2 ohm stable, 275W into 4 ohm loads. I ran the Epicures with a Threshold SL10 into a pair of Yamaha NS1000s and the JBL 4430s for years.
    If the price is right, a Pioneer PL630 with an AT25 cartridge. I have the table box and the cartridge box and can document I’m the second owner.

I’d probably trade hifi gear for pins…

1 month later
    #336 2 years ago
    Quoted from pinnyheadhead:

So my Adcom GFA 545 amp I had growing up died. Both speakers were working fine and then the sound slowly faded out of each. The fuses blew but won’t work after replacing. Is the “the end”?
    Not sure what could be wrong but with elections like this I heard that it probably isn’t worth fixing and just put your money towards a new stereo.
    Any advice? Thanks

Fuses blown are most likely shorted outputs transistors or a shorted power supply. Adcoms aren’t difficult to repair. Parts are readily available. Schematics are free on hifiengine. Keep it. Fix it. It’s no harder than repairing a WPC power driver board.

#338 2 years ago

Big black is a torroid transformer. Less noise than an iron core transformer. Used commonly in audio applications

8 months later
    #369 2 years ago

This table is gonna need a new home soon if any of y’all are interested. PL-630. I’m the documented 2nd owner (original owner is a friend of mine). I’ve got the original box. Currently sporting an AT-25 cartridge and I have the original wood box for the AT.

42AEC3BF-9D0F-4E29-8857-88C3DA808BBC (resized).jpeg42AEC3BF-9D0F-4E29-8857-88C3DA808BBC (resized).jpeg
    9 months later
    #484 1 year ago
    Quoted from mbwalker:

Don't have a pair, but they'd be on my short list...
    [quoted image]
    But I did own a pair of Genesis 44's
    [quoted image]

Man, I sold the 3 pair of NS1000’s I had in the past 18 months for relatively cheap (~$750/pair). The tweeters and midranges are amazing thanks to the beryllium!
    I used to run them with an Epicure amp and had two more Epicure amps for each of the JBL4430’s the NS1000’s were on. Threshold SL10 preamp. It was deafening! But crystal clear. Check out the Epicure amps…no P channel transistors anywhere in it (maybe two? I can’t remember because I haven’t cracked one open in a long time)

#491 1 year ago
    Quoted from mbwalker:

I had a Kenwood KA-701 and the back-breaking Dynaco 400. Not sure if the '400' was 400W or weight in lbs. The Kenwood was my favorite tho.
    [quoted image]
    Which Epicure amp did you have? I had to look that brand up, hadn't hear of it before.

I think they’re just called “Epicure Model 1”? It’s the only amplifier Epicure ever made. I still have them. A friend of mine here locally has two as well. I read on Audiogon there’s maybe 100 know to still be around? Who knows? All I know is when I got the first one, I ran it side by side with an MC2205 that I’d restored. I bought the first Epicure for $200. After 15 minutes of listening to it, I put the MC2205 up for sale. Got enough for it that it covered buying the other two Epicures I later found and still put over $1000 in my pocket. Mac amps are great, I’ll never dog them (and to this day best parts department and customer service anywhere) but those Epicure amps do it for me.

2 weeks later
    #505 1 year ago
    Quoted from Jason43:

Newest addition. A new faceplate is on order since this was damaged due to super shit packaging by the seller.
    [quoted image]

There used to be a fella on eBay making those Marantz faceplates in black and they’re sexy AF

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ryanbrooks.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vintage-stereo-club-monster-receivers-cassette-cd-players?tu=ryanbrooks and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.