(Topic ID: 183364)

Vintage STEREO Club (Monster Receivers, Cassette, CD Players, Turntables, R2R)

By ZNET

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 833 posts
  • 132 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 days ago by ToucanF16
  • Topic is favorited by 57 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot_20240418_193425_Facebook (resized).jpg
    20240416_215458 (resized).jpg
    20240416_215444 (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20240404_211828_Facebook (resized).jpg
    IMG_20240325_173231825 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20240325_173030669 (resized).jpg
    IMG_3830 (resized).jpg
    PRODPIC-3119 (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20240305_211816_Facebook (resized).jpg
    drapes match pillows (resized).jpg
    bookcase (resized).jpg
    IMG_6181 (resized).jpeg
    speaker with stand (resized).jpg
    right front L100 (resized).jpg
    left front L100 grille off (resized).jpg
    towers 2 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mustangpaul.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#5 7 years ago

I just love the old receivers with the knobs instead of the new crap with a remote that's needed to adjust all the settings and if ya loose the remote your up shit creek. The old ones were great to look at too, real works of art. I'll have to look for mine.

#9 7 years ago
    Quoted from ZNET:

The knobs on many of these vintage receivers are silky smooth. The buttons on Settons are solid metal with nylon inserts. I also like the controls on Marantz, Sansui, Pioneer, Rotel, Scott, Concept and many others.
    Pinball and vintage stereos go hand-in-hand, in my view. They share the visual, audio and tactile elements which draw us in and transport us to an earlier time. My line-up is mostly electromechanical pinball and arcade games. I blast music on my vintage system while playing pinball. The music complements the chimes, bells and buzzers of the old-school games.
    Please post photos of your set-up. Hopefully, others will be encouraged to do so and we'll create a unique thread.

I don't use the seperate amp, receiver, cassette deck or the eq anymore, they're in storage. The speakers are JBL 4311B Studio Monitors

#21 7 years ago
    Quoted from ZNET:

I'm 57 years-old so I'm old enough to have had an 8 track tape player in a car.
    Some songs ended prematurely on side 1 and continued on side 2!

But are you old enough to remember having an under dash record player in your car. My older brother had one in his '65 Mustang. I thought was sooooo cool at the time.

#45 7 years ago
    Quoted from Half_Life:

Once the new runs have been allowed to set in the adhesive, you need to apply the 3M NF30 (Milloxane) sealant. Although the can sent by Magnepan had a small brush applicator included I decided to use a 1" foam brush for applying the sealant. I applied two light coats, waiting 12 hours between each one. Light coats is the key here as you want the mylar to remain flexible.
    While these were drying I decided to work on the crossover network. I had ordered some replacement capacitors as I assumed the existing ones would be dried out after 40 years and the values changed. Just for grins, after removing the caps, I tested them on my little component tester. Yep, confirmed; both capacitors were definitely way out of spec. They were supposed to be 12mfd and tested out as roughly 38mfd; definitely changing the bandwidth of the circuit.
    I also decided to replace the "connection block" (nothing more than some connector rings riveted to the mounting plate) with something a bit more forgiving to work with. The old connections were made using silver solder due to the dissimilar metals being used (copper wires, copper connectors and aluminum wires). Although I was trained in the Navy on how to solder to aluminum with silver solder, the process is not easy and I'm far out of practice. All pieces to be soldered need to be scrupulously clean and heated to the right temperature. I made one attempt and decided on a better method. I substituted a standard screw terminal connection block. All wires/component wires were sanded clean, dipped in No-Ox-ID (to prevent oxidation/corrosion) and then placed into the block.
    1st pic shows entire panel coated with Milloxane
    2nd pic shows original crossover network with connections
    3rd / 4th pic shows tested value of old capacitors
    5th pic shows new connection block with new capacitor

Great series of posts. That's a lot of work.

#63 7 years ago
    Quoted from pindan3:

Got to play all the 45's on the juke boxes...over 5000 of them!

Cool.

1 month later
    #96 6 years ago

I remember reading in Omni back in the day about Giger.

2 months later
    #122 6 years ago
    Quoted from Cap6000:

Hi I am new here. I have been an audio junkie my whole life. After spending a small fortune on digital equipment these past 30 years, I have returned to all analog and the audio gear I loved as a teen but could never afford. As you can see I am a Pioneer fan and have managed to get my hands on some of the nicest gear they made (IMO). Just last week I picked up a SX-1980 receiver after looking for one for a long time. I just love this old stuff. The build and finish quality of this 30 year old gear is stunning. I have restored all of it so it looks like new... with a few exceptions... All the woodwork have been redone in Hawaiian Koa and the lamps replaced with blue LEDs. A lot of these pieces are now very collectable and you have to pay a premium to get your hands on them.
    SX-1980 Receiver
    PL-570 Turntable
    Sure V15 IV Cartridge
    CTF-1250 Cassette Deck
    CTF-950 Cassette Deck
    RS-909 Reel To Reel
    RG-1 Dynamic Processor
    SQ-9 Equalizer
    VAA-100ES Stereo Tube Amp
    PSB Stratus Speakers

WOW!!! Love it.

5 months later
    #140 6 years ago
    Quoted from littlecammi:

I already showed my Marantz and Teac quadraphonic components (see post 117). But here's another pic of the two towers plus one of the four JBL L100 speakers which are in each corner of the living room.

The family room has an 80" flatscreen plus Sony receiver, CD player, cassette deck, VCR, turntable, blu-ray player and JBL speakers: center channel on left and subwoofer on right (with four JBL Pro3 speakers wired thru the walls and mounted in the corners).

The pinball room has Tascam DAT deck, DVD player (connected to wall-mounted 23" Samsung TV), CD player/thumb drive recorder and two Roland K300 amplifiers.

The music room has a DBX CD player, Marantz 510MR power amp, Roland mixer and JBL 4627 Cabaret series speakers, plus various synth tone modules and effects plus digital recording equipment.

Your house is FILLED with good stuff.

8 months later
    #177 5 years ago
    Quoted from AVH7401:

Why do stereo receivers have a speaker a and speaker b option? What is the purpose of having four speakers connected to your receiver if you are only playing two channel audio?

So you can have another pair of speakers in another room and not have them on in the other room.

#179 5 years ago
    Quoted from AVH7401:

Thank you for answering my question! I found dumb asking it here. mustangpaul

The only dumb question is the question never asked.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mustangpaul.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vintage-stereo-club-monster-receivers-cassette-cd-players?tu=mustangpaul and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.