(Topic ID: 183364)

Vintage STEREO Club (Monster Receivers, Cassette, CD Players, Turntables, R2R)

By ZNET

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 833 posts
  • 132 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 days ago by ToucanF16
  • Topic is favorited by 57 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot_20240418_193425_Facebook (resized).jpg
    20240416_215458 (resized).jpg
    20240416_215444 (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20240404_211828_Facebook (resized).jpg
    IMG_20240325_173231825 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20240325_173030669 (resized).jpg
    IMG_3830 (resized).jpg
    PRODPIC-3119 (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20240305_211816_Facebook (resized).jpg
    drapes match pillows (resized).jpg
    bookcase (resized).jpg
    IMG_6181 (resized).jpeg
    speaker with stand (resized).jpg
    right front L100 (resized).jpg
    left front L100 grille off (resized).jpg
    towers 2 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Pinstym.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#253 2 years ago

I don't have any cool equipment to show off. I'm just trying to throw together something and I'm looking for advice because I have no idea what I'm doing.

I have an Onkyo TX-SR507 AV Receiver. 5 speakers and a subwoofer hooked up and it sounds pretty killer in the small space it's hooked up.

I want to go to 7.1, and the manual shows how to add 2 more speakers into the mix by going through a power amp.

I have an old Technics SU-V98 Integrated amp. Can I use this, or are power amps and integrated amps two totally different animals?

Thanks for any help.

Screenshot_20210502-230025_Samsung Internet (resized).jpgScreenshot_20210502-230025_Samsung Internet (resized).jpgScreenshot_20210503-195952_Drive (resized).jpgScreenshot_20210503-195952_Drive (resized).jpg
    #255 2 years ago
    Quoted from guitarded:

If your Integrated has Main Outs, you can use it as a stand alone Power Amp.
    On many older integrated amps/receivers, you will see what looks like giant staples on the back that are jumping the main out to the main in portions.
    Your Technics might be a bit newer than those, though.

It has those, but I'm not figuring out where to plug what.

I pulled those out and tried running rca cables to it. No sound.

When I leave those staple things in and run a cd player to the technics, it plays and sounds good through the 2 speakers plugged into it.

My problem is when I pull out those staples and start trying to hook it up to get the onkyo involved and get those 2 speakers to play what the other 5.1 speakers are playing.

Lost.

20210503_194338 (resized).jpg20210503_194338 (resized).jpg
    #258 2 years ago
    Quoted from guitarded:

>>When I leave those staple things in and run a cd player to the technics, it plays and sounds good through the 2 speakers plugged into it.
    Pull them and use the Main In for the feed from your AVS.
    The AVS will be acting as your preamp and the Technics will be used to power the additional speakers as per your wiring diagram. As long as you don't have the Tape Loop engaged you should get power/signal to whichever speaker channel you select and are hooked up to.
    In your diagram above - The AUDIO IN on the Power Amp would be the MAIN IN on your Technics.

Thanks for the guidance. I'm all over this as soon as I get home from work tomorrow.

#271 2 years ago
    Quoted from guitarded:

>>When I leave those staple things in and run a cd player to the technics, it plays and sounds good through the 2 speakers plugged into it.
    Pull them and use the Main In for the feed from your AVS.
    The AVS will be acting as your preamp and the Technics will be used to power the additional speakers as per your wiring diagram. As long as you don't have the Tape Loop engaged you should get power/signal to whichever speaker channel you select and are hooked up to.
    In your diagram above - The AUDIO IN on the Power Amp would be the MAIN IN on your Technics.

Hooked it up and nothing.

So I went and pulled the rca jacks out of the back of the onkyo and holy crap (I forgot to power it and the Technics off first) when those male ends of the rca jacks accidentally touched each other, I got crazy loud noise coming from the 2 speakers hooked up to the Technics.

So now I'm thinking/realizing the pre out jacks on the onkyo are not red and white. Does this mean I'm using the wrong cables? I was just sticking white on top and red on the bottom, as that's how all the jacks are colored all the way down the line. Is there another type of cable?

20210504_212253 (resized).jpg20210504_212253 (resized).jpg
    2 years later
    #713 5 months ago

Found this at the curb today. AKAI GX-747 dbx.

Powers on. Standby Direction seems to be stuck on. The tension arms move back and forth. Clueless.

Dropping this of at my Father-in-law's. He seems pretty stoked.

IMG_20231114_155251__01 (resized).jpgIMG_20231114_155251__01 (resized).jpgIMG_20231114_162014__01 (resized).jpgIMG_20231114_162014__01 (resized).jpgIMG_20231114_162057 (resized).jpgIMG_20231114_162057 (resized).jpg
    #715 5 months ago
    Quoted from jrpinball:

Holy sheetrock! What a find!!!

After describing what it's doing after I powered it on, he actually passed on it. Looks like I'll try and fix it.

#719 5 months ago
    Quoted from ultimategameroom:

A few hundred dollars in service/ repairs may = a deck that’s worth several thousand dollars.

I'm being told I need to do this...

https://reeltoreeltech.com/repairing-the-motorized-tape-tension-levers-in-the-akai-gx-747/

#722 5 months ago

I've got everything except for the belts. Gotta make sure I find the exact ones I should use.

#725 5 months ago
    Quoted from jrpinball:

Keep us updated. Do you have tapes for it?

Will do. My Father-in-law has tapes. He's got at least 10 reel to reel machines. 10,000+ records. Out of control.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Pinstym.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vintage-stereo-club-monster-receivers-cassette-cd-players?tu=Pinstym and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.