(Topic ID: 183364)

Vintage STEREO Club (Monster Receivers, Cassette, CD Players, Turntables, R2R)

By ZNET

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 830 posts
  • 132 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 days ago by Pablito350
  • Topic is favorited by 56 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot_20240404_211828_Facebook (resized).jpg
    IMG_20240325_173231825 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20240325_173030669 (resized).jpg
    IMG_3830 (resized).jpg
    PRODPIC-3119 (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20240305_211816_Facebook (resized).jpg
    drapes match pillows (resized).jpg
    bookcase (resized).jpg
    IMG_6181 (resized).jpeg
    speaker with stand (resized).jpg
    right front L100 (resized).jpg
    left front L100 grille off (resized).jpg
    towers 2 (resized).jpg
    towers 1 (resized).jpg
    living room (resized).jpg
    20240219_215554 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider LargemouthAss.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#210 4 years ago
    Quoted from Saveleaningtower:

Any recommendations on a two channel stereo integrated tube amp that has Bluetooth and a set of speakers to go along with it all? I once heard a McIntosh set up with some Martin Logan electrostatics that sounded amazing at a local Magnolia store. A phono option in the future is a possibility. Budget of under 10 thousand. Thanks.

Macintosh has been bought and sold so many times that the modern Mac gear has nothing in common with the legendary Mac gear that made them so famous, the new stuff is all made in China. It's still good gear but the prices are insane and there is better out there for the money.

Make a trip to Deja Vu Audio in Vienna, VA. Well worth the trip. They are masters of all things tube and have outstanding gear and customer service. They sell a brand called "Synthesis: Art in Music" that makes wonderful integrated tube amps. They sell a lot of Audio Note speakers which match exceptionally well to the Synthesis gear. You should easily be under $10,000. They also sell Conrad Johnson, Harbeth, Jolida and they make breathtaking gear from vintage Western Electric parts that are unrivaled.

#211 4 years ago

Here is some of my vintage gear:
    -Marantz 2235B powering the speakers for the TV in the family room
    -Vector Research VRX9000 powering the speakers in the pinball room
    Micro Seiki BL51 turntable with SME 3009V2 tonearm and Ortofon 2M Black cartridge which is played on my home theater setup
    -Garrard 301 in a custom plinth with Ortofon TA-110 arm and Ortofon Quintet Bronze cartridge. This fuels my tube 2-channel setup.

20191212_180447.jpg20191212_180447.jpg20191212_180232.jpg20191212_180232.jpg20191212_180316.jpg20191212_180316.jpg20191212_180349.jpg20191212_180349.jpg
    10 months later
    #222 3 years ago
    Quoted from ToucanF16:

Love the Garrard 301 (I have a TD124 on custom plinth). What transformer/pre-amp are you using with the Ortofon MC cartridge?[quoted image]

Gorgeous Thorens!!

I use a Synthesis ROMA79DC as the phono preamp for my Ortofon cartridge. It is amazing.

3 months later
    #240 3 years ago
    Quoted from xsvtoys:

The Sansui is super nice. Funny how all those old receivers didn't seem to have high wattage ratings, but when you play them, they seem to have plenty of power.

Wattage is incredibly overrated. Speaker efficiency matters far more. Sure there are some very inefficient speakers that require massive amounts of power to drive but they are not particularly common or affordable. I have heard 3-watt tube setups with 91db sensitivity speakers (which is efficient but not super efficient) that are louder than you would ever want at half power. For the most part wattage is marketing.

#242 3 years ago
    Quoted from Tortelvis:

Someone told me once that old equipment was rated by how much continuous power it put out, but the peak power was much higher. Manufacturers started advertising peak power in later years because it sounded better, but that equipment could only put out peak power for a small burst. Not sure if that is true or not.

It is very true. When you see a modern receiver rated at 100 watts per channel it is likely capable of doing that for a fraction of a second with awful distortion and noise before blowing. The only wattage number that is relevant is the continuous number.

#245 3 years ago
    Quoted from Lovef2k:

Is continuous power the same as rms? Root mean square

Yes they are the same.

1 year later
    #409 1 year ago
    Quoted from Oldmoto:

Just a small portion of my 40 year HiFi collection. 99% untouched over the last 20 years. More recapping than I will ever get around to. Send PM if any one would like a tour. Cash or trades

Looks like you might have some vintage Western Electric equipment. That stuff can be worth a FORTUNE!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider LargemouthAss.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vintage-stereo-club-monster-receivers-cassette-cd-players?tu=LargemouthAss and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.