(Topic ID: 183364)

Vintage STEREO Club (Monster Receivers, Cassette, CD Players, Turntables, R2R)

By ZNET

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 833 posts
  • 132 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 days ago by ToucanF16
  • Topic is favorited by 57 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot_20240418_193425_Facebook (resized).jpg
    20240416_215458 (resized).jpg
    20240416_215444 (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20240404_211828_Facebook (resized).jpg
    IMG_20240325_173231825 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20240325_173030669 (resized).jpg
    IMG_3830 (resized).jpg
    PRODPIC-3119 (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20240305_211816_Facebook (resized).jpg
    drapes match pillows (resized).jpg
    bookcase (resized).jpg
    IMG_6181 (resized).jpeg
    speaker with stand (resized).jpg
    right front L100 (resized).jpg
    left front L100 grille off (resized).jpg
    towers 2 (resized).jpg
    There are 833 posts in this topic. You are on page 12 of 17.
    #551 12 months ago
    Quoted from Jason43:

Play seems to run at FF speeds,

The pinch roller is likely not engaging the capstan. I have a TEAC which had a completely frozen pinch roller lever, and it did just that. It allowed me to get it cheap, but the repair required me to use a heat gun to soften the old grease. It's working great now though.
    Yes, many of those older Akai units were built in two or three versions; with and without a built in amp and speakers.
    I looked up your unit, and was surprised to see that it weighs over 60 pounds!

#552 12 months ago

He's a chunky boy.

The pinch roller is moving over and engaging the capstan when I hit play. Although, I don't know if it's engaged properly. Is the speed regulated by the capstan/pinch roller?

And dumb question: I'm testing without a tape on the player. Is a tape necessary to get it playing at the correct speed?

#553 12 months ago
    Quoted from Jason43:

He's a chunky boy.
    The pinch roller is moving over and engaging the capstan when I hit play. Although, I don't know if it's engaged properly. Is the speed regulated by the capstan/pinch roller?
    And dumb question: I'm testing without a tape on the player. Is a tape necessary to get it playing at the correct speed?

In "play" mode, the take up reel will spin at a high speed without a tape. That's normal. The speed of the pinch roller and capstan regulate the passage of the tape past the heads and onto the take up reel. With a tape loaded, the take up reel will maintain proper tension, and will turn only as fast as the capstan allows the tape to move.

#554 12 months ago
    Quoted from jrpinball:

In "play" mode, the take up reel will spin at a high speed without a tape. That's normal. The speed of the pinch roller and capstan regulate the passage of the tape past the heads and onto the take up reel. With a tape loaded, the take up reel will maintain proper tension, and will turn only as fast as the capstan allows the tape to move.

Gotcha. Looks like I need to find a tape then. Appreciate all your help so far.

#555 12 months ago
    Quoted from Jason43:

Gotcha. Looks like I need to find a tape then. Appreciate all your help so far.

Anytime.

1 week later
    #556 11 months ago

Here's hoping for another 45 years out of this one

20230504_193208 (resized).jpg20230504_193208 (resized).jpg
    1 week later
    #557 11 months ago

Picked this up today at Renniger's in Kutztown. Dual power supply and 75 watts.

I may use it as a preamp for the SAE power amp. My Rotel preamp has an issue with the volume control.

20230512_182340 (resized).jpg20230512_182340 (resized).jpg
    #558 11 months ago
    Quoted from drummermike:

Picked this up today at Renniger's in Kutztown. Dual power supply and 75 watts.
    I may use it as a preamp for the SAE power amp. My Rotel preamp has an issue with the volume control.
    [quoted image]

Nice score!
    What is the nice looking cassette deck in the background?

#559 11 months ago
    Quoted from ultimategameroom:

Nice score!
    What is the nice looking cassette deck in the background?

Check post 185 for a better picture. It is a Tandberg TCD 340 A. Unfortunately, one of the three motors is clicking.

Added 11 months ago:

I went to turn on the deck and now the lights went out and nothing is working except one of the motors is running. Good I do not have any cassettes anymore. Deck fills in the hole though.

#560 11 months ago
    Quoted from Jason43:

Here's hoping for another 45 years out of this one
    [quoted image]

New caps is new life!

1 week later
    #561 11 months ago

A couple of new additions. A Realistic power meter. Completely unnecessary but I have a soft spot for analog meters. I bought it for $60 non working. I replaced one bad capacitor and it works perfectly.
    The pioneer cassette player I bought restored as I don’t have the knowledge/patience to work on vintage tape decks. Again, I can’t resist analog meters.

IMG_2871 (resized).jpegIMG_2871 (resized).jpegIMG_2883 (resized).jpegIMG_2883 (resized).jpegIMG_2885 (resized).jpegIMG_2885 (resized).jpeg
    #562 11 months ago
    Quoted from Vandy89:

A couple of new additions. A Realistic power meter. Completely unnecessary but I have a soft spot for analog meters. Again, I can’t resist analog meters.
    [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I agree. Watching them on our 780 is like watching the fireplace.

IMG_20230524_112454052.jpgIMG_20230524_112454052.jpg
    #563 11 months ago

I saw this today on an internet stereo group page. . .a speaker coffee table. I guess that every hobby eventually ends up next to a couch.

Screenshot_20230525_002706_Facebook (resized).jpgScreenshot_20230525_002706_Facebook (resized).jpgScreenshot_20230525_002709_Facebook (resized).jpgScreenshot_20230525_002709_Facebook (resized).jpgScreenshot_20230525_002716_Facebook (resized).jpgScreenshot_20230525_002716_Facebook (resized).jpg
    #564 11 months ago

Just finished piecing together a second system, this one for our casita. Realistic sta-82 receiver ($30 on Craigslist), Denon DP-7F turntable ($100 from a pawn shop) Philips speakers ($8 each from a thrift store) and a Kenwood 5 cd carousel player ($10 at thrift store.) Total price: $158. Believe it or not it sounds terrific. I’m eventually going to upgrade the receiver and speakers but for now, I’m loving my system.

IMG_2748 (resized).jpegIMG_2748 (resized).jpeg
    #565 11 months ago
    Quoted from PismoArcade:

Just finished piecing together a second system, this one for our casita. Realistic sta-82 receiver ($30 on Craigslist), Denon DP-7F turntable ($100 from a pawn shop) Philips speakers ($8 each from a thrift store) and a Kenwood 5 cd carousel player ($10 at thrift store.) Total price: $158. Believe it or not it sounds terrific. I’m eventually going to upgrade the receiver and speakers but for now, I’m loving my system.[quoted image]

Sounds terrific? Heck yeah I believe it. All that old stuff does!

#566 11 months ago
    Quoted from PismoArcade:

I’m loving my system.

Isolate those speakers and you will be even more impressed.

#567 11 months ago
    Quoted from guitarded:

Isolate those speakers and you will be even more impressed.

Yep, a nice pair of inexpensive speaker stands will really help open up those speakers. Or if you want to keep them on top of the fireplace A/V piece check out Fat Dots from Herbie’s Audio Lab, very reasonable and I really like them.

1 week later
    #568 10 months ago

I used this spray to lubricate and clean the volume knob in my Rotel preamp. Seems to have fixed the issue of sound cutting out.

20230605_082757 (resized).jpg20230605_082757 (resized).jpg
    #569 10 months ago

Anyone looking for new equipment. Go to Crutchfield website. I just rediscovered them.

3 weeks later
    #570 9 months ago
    Quoted from drummermike:

I used this spray to lubricate and clean the volume knob in my Rotel preamp. Seems to have fixed the issue of sound cutting out.
    [quoted image]

How did you apply it ? Outside with Knobs off ? Or did you pop the hood ? Or Both ?
    My Kenwood Nine G is getting that crackly cutting out, a knob jiggle clears it up.

#571 9 months ago
    Quoted from gonzo73:

How did you apply it ? Outside with Knobs off ? Or did you pop the hood ? Or Both ?
    My Kenwood Nine G is getting that crackly cutting out, a knob jiggle clears it up.

Jiggle, or spin? Jiggle could indicate cold solder joints.

#572 9 months ago
    Quoted from gonzo73:

You need to open the unit and direct the spray from the straw inside the body of the controls (volume, balance, bass, treble, selector switches, etc.).

Try not to overspray onto circuit boards.

After Deoxit cleaning use Faderlube on potentiometers. It lubricates so they move smoothly again.

Plenty of discussion on audiokarma.org on this topic.

#573 9 months ago
    Quoted from gonzo73:

I opened up the case and sprayed into a small hole in the pot body.

#574 9 months ago

Meters definitely ring my chimes. SAE stereo components.

IMG_1842 (resized).jpegIMG_1842 (resized).jpegIMG_1843 (resized).jpegIMG_1843 (resized).jpeg
    #575 9 months ago
    Quoted from atpcfiaim:

[quoted image][quoted image]

Let me know when you are ready to part with that rack of amazing gear!

#576 9 months ago
    20230702_090310 (resized).jpg20230702_090310 (resized).jpg
    #577 9 months ago

Awesome.. how about some Close ups of the Sansui... 8080 ? 9090 ?

I just bought my dream Sansui Reciever... waiting for Delivery.... Fingers Crossed.. it's in good shape as the seller claimed.

Cheers.

#578 9 months ago
    Quoted from atpcfiaim:

That's a stack of Gorgeosity.

#579 9 months ago

My friend gave me a neat little Kenwood Led acrylic sign to go with my Nine-G.

Its silly but I dig it... got to get a Sansui one too.
    20230702_020350 (resized).jpg20230702_020350 (resized).jpg

#580 9 months ago
    Quoted from atpcfiaim:

Electrical Windings Co. the very company which produced coils and transformers for the pinball industry, also wound transformers used in SAE, and other audio components.

#581 9 months ago
    Quoted from jrpinball:

Electrical Windings Co. the very company which produced coils and transformers for the pinball industry, also wound transformers used in SAE, and other audio components.

A Donal Murphy connection to my rack I did not know about. Thanks for the intel, jrpinball!

#582 9 months ago
    Quoted from atpcfiaim:

A Donal Murphy connection to my rack I did not know about. Thanks for the intel, Mr pinball!

A very reliable source brought this tidbit of knowledge to my attention.

#583 9 months ago

Shot of the boys sitting on the sidelines while the Luxman's in rotation.

20230702_205520 (resized).jpg20230702_205520 (resized).jpg
    #584 9 months ago
    Quoted from Jason43:Shot of the boys sitting on the sidelines while the Luxman's in rotation.
    [quoted image]

I have that same Pioneer SX-780 I bought new in 1979. I recently had it recapped. Sounds amazing.

#585 9 months ago
    Quoted from Mank:

I have that same Pioneer SX-780 I bought new in 1979. I recently had it recapped. Sounds amazing.

It's a nice sounding reciever. Easy on the eyes too

#586 9 months ago

Hello all, my first post is a question that may have been addressed but I did not see scrolling through the threads, my apologies if I missed them. I'm thinking there will be conflicting thoughts as I've had conflicting advise but here goes: I have a Pioneer SX-737, the dial pointer light is out and the FM light is fading, so I wanted to see about fixing the lights. I went to 2 shops (both within 1.5 hours) that work on vintage receivers, the first one said my lights are the least of my concerns and I should not even be using it until I do full restore. This included replacing all of the caps, transistors and other components likely to fail which would cost about $700. The other shop said he could repair the lights and recap if I wanted but thought if it worked why mess around. Honestly, the receiver sounds fantastic but now I'm a bit concerned that it should have some work done. $700 sounds excessive but is that the way to go or is replacing the lights and recapping enough? Thank you in advance for your feedback.

20230704_215538 (resized).jpg20230704_215538 (resized).jpg20230707_103509 (resized).jpg20230707_103509 (resized).jpg
    #587 9 months ago
    Quoted from tiltmonster:

Hello all, my first post is a question that may have been addressed but I did not see scrolling through the threads, my apologies if I missed them. I'm thinking there will be conflicting thoughts as I've had conflicting advise but here goes: I have a Pioneer SX-737, the dial pointer light is out and the FM light is fading, so I wanted to see about fixing the lights. I went to 2 shops (both within 1.5 hours) that work on vintage receivers, the first one said my lights are the least of my concerns and I should not even be using it until I do full restore. This included replacing all of the caps, transistors and other components likely to fail which would cost about $700. The other shop said he could repair the lights and recap if I wanted but thought if it worked why mess around. Honestly, the receiver sounds fantastic but now I'm a bit concerned that it should have some work done. $700 sounds excessive but is that the way to go or is replacing the lights and recapping enough? Thank you in advance for your feedback.[quoted image][quoted image]

It is excessive..
    You need a Repair, NOT a full restore.
    I spent $800 on a Full Recap and restore for my Technics SA-700 100 Watt... but it was really Crapping out, and I wanted to bullitt proof it for the next 20 years.

Get the lights fixed and serviced....not fully recapped .
    SX-737 is not a high power Reciever $700 is too much $.
    My friend has a SX-737 it's a great sounding receiver.

20230708_172846 (resized).jpg20230708_172846 (resized).jpg

#588 9 months ago

"I should not even be using it until I do full restore." This sounds like someone trying to sell you on something based on fear. The guy I deal with is more in the camp of the second tech you mentioned. If it sounds good, I'd just get the second guy to tighten up the lights and such.

#589 9 months ago
    Quoted from gonzo73:

Awesome.. how about some Close ups of the Sansui... 8080 ? 9090 ?
    I just bought my dream Sansui Reciever... waiting for Delivery.... Fingers Crossed.. it's in good shape as the seller claimed.
    Cheers.

It's a 7070. It's running my main system since i blew a channel on my Luxman R-1120 with an accidental needle drop
    How's the dream Sansui have it yet?

20230708_092836 (resized).jpg20230708_092836 (resized).jpg
    #590 9 months ago

I have that same DogfishHead Record Store Day print on my stereo room/den wall.

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
    #591 9 months ago

Gorgeous 7070.. I almost bought one or a 8080 as my first Vintage stereo... but I went with the QRX-5500... More lights and Dials...
    My " new " Sansui shipped from Michigan yesterday... fingers Crossed... estimated arrival in SoCal Wensday.

#592 9 months ago

Just Deoxited my Marantz 2252-B .. I cleaned my Kenwood Nine-G last week and it worked a trick.
    Maybe the Marantz doesn't need to visit the Doctor...
    More fingers crossed.

20230709_173424 (resized).jpg20230709_173424 (resized).jpg20230709_173430 (resized).jpg20230709_173430 (resized).jpg20230709_173444 (resized).jpg20230709_173444 (resized).jpg
    #593 9 months ago
    Quoted from tiltmonster:

Hello all, my first post is a question that may have been addressed but I did not see scrolling through the threads, my apologies if I missed them. I'm thinking there will be conflicting thoughts as I've had conflicting advise but here goes: I have a Pioneer SX-737, the dial pointer light is out and the FM light is fading, so I wanted to see about fixing the lights. I went to 2 shops (both within 1.5 hours) that work on vintage receivers, the first one said my lights are the least of my concerns and I should not even be using it until I do full restore. This included replacing all of the caps, transistors and other components likely to fail which would cost about $700. The other shop said he could repair the lights and recap if I wanted but thought if it worked why mess around. Honestly, the receiver sounds fantastic but now I'm a bit concerned that it should have some work done. $700 sounds excessive but is that the way to go or is replacing the lights and recapping enough? Thank you in advance for your feedback.[quoted image][quoted image]

I personally wouldn't set foot in the first shop again. That's some shady mechanic nonsense.

#594 9 months ago
    Quoted from Jason43:

I personally wouldn't set foot in the first shop again. That's some shady mechanic nonsense.

I agree!
    unless it’s overheating or not working properly there’s no reason for a full restoration.

#595 9 months ago

I agree. I suppose all of this recapping and rebuilding won’t hurt anything, but it gets expensive fast and you never know if it would have worked fine for years without it. Also, I talked to a pretty good tech and he said he gets a lot of business fixing things that were given “complete rebuilds”. He said a lot of time it is slipshod work that just makes things worse.

I will say, in my limited experience some of the old transistors are more problematic than the old caps. I had this issue with my Kenwood KA-7002 amp. It was working fine but suddenly degenerated into an awful mess of crackling and popping. It turned out that there were a bunch of bad transistors. I got it fixed but it was expensive because the thing isn’t easy to work on either.

I could have known this in advance of buying it if I had read up on it in the audiokarma forums. It is a well known problem and there are lots of discussions about it. I recommend searching there for any specific model of anything you are considering buying so you can read up on the good, the bad, the potential problems and how they can be fixed, and ideally restoration threads if they are available.

#596 9 months ago

I'd have the second shop repair the lights, clean pots and switches and check/adjust the bias and offset.

#597 9 months ago

The Eagle Has Landed !
    No damage.. expertly packed, double boxed styrofoam and bubble wrap. Working and in fantastic shape.

SANSUI G-7500 Pure Power Stereo DC Reciever.
    1978-1979.
    First record.. My favorite album...
    THE WHO, Who's Next, Music On Vinyl pressing, the best press of Who's Next I've heard.

20230713_230830 (resized).jpg20230713_230830 (resized).jpg20230713_231249 (resized).jpg20230713_231249 (resized).jpg20230713_232219 (resized).jpg20230713_232219 (resized).jpg20230713_232416 (resized).jpg20230713_232416 (resized).jpg20230713_234239 (resized).jpg20230713_234239 (resized).jpg20230713_234247 (resized).jpg20230713_234247 (resized).jpg20230713_235550 (resized).jpg20230713_235550 (resized).jpg
    #598 9 months ago
    Quoted from gonzo73:

No damage.. expertly packed, double boxed styrofoam and bubble wrap. Working and in fantastic shape. [quoted image]

That's a rarity these days. I think half of my receivers have arrived damaged in some way. Congrats

#599 9 months ago
    Quoted from gonzo73:

The Eagle Has Landed !
    No damage.. expertly packed, double boxed styrofoam and bubble wrap. Working and in fantastic shape.
    SANSUI G-7500 Pure Power Stereo DC Reciever.
    1978-1979.
    First record.. My favorite album...
    THE WHO, Who's Next, Music On Vinyl pressing, the best press of Who's Next I've heard.
    [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Very nice! Did you get that from a business or private party? I'm looking to upgrade my Realistic.

#600 9 months ago

Private seller. The Ebay add said Michigan.. but it was shipped from Ohio ?

There are 833 posts in this topic. You are on page 12 of 17.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vintage-stereo-club-monster-receivers-cassette-cd-players/page/12 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.