(Topic ID: 183364)

Vintage STEREO Club (Monster Receivers, Cassette, CD Players, Turntables, R2R)

By ZNET

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 831 posts
  • 132 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 23 hours ago by gonzo73
  • Topic is favorited by 57 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20240416_215458 (resized).jpg
    20240416_215444 (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20240404_211828_Facebook (resized).jpg
    IMG_20240325_173231825 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20240325_173030669 (resized).jpg
    IMG_3830 (resized).jpg
    PRODPIC-3119 (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20240305_211816_Facebook (resized).jpg
    drapes match pillows (resized).jpg
    bookcase (resized).jpg
    IMG_6181 (resized).jpeg
    speaker with stand (resized).jpg
    right front L100 (resized).jpg
    left front L100 grille off (resized).jpg
    towers 2 (resized).jpg
    towers 1 (resized).jpg
    There are 831 posts in this topic. You are on page 10 of 17.
    #451 1 year ago

Yeah should have noticed that "DC" was too wide. Great retro setup.. nice FV320.

#452 1 year ago

This guy has been with me since about 1977. It hasn't been used in probably 30+ years, but it turns on and does work...I think. made in japan.

PXL_20221019_164229261 (resized).jpgPXL_20221019_164229261 (resized).jpg

#453 1 year ago
    Quoted from Lermods:

This guy has been with me since about 1977. It hasn't been used in probably 30+ years, but it turns on and does work...I think. made in japan.
    [quoted image]

I have that too. Used to record live concerts from a program called Thursday Night Live on CFNY 102.1 out of Toronto.

#454 1 year ago

I just picked up this Marantz 5220. Totally stoked on it.

05B9642A-3A60-4C41-8825-5755DF3C0463 (resized).jpeg05B9642A-3A60-4C41-8825-5755DF3C0463 (resized).jpeg
    #455 1 year ago
    Quoted from Mank:

I have that too. Used to record live concerts from a program called Thursday Night Live on CFNY 102.1 out of Toronto.

Any idea what it’s worth, if anything? I really have no use for it, don’t think I ever will, and it’s certainly not being tossed.

1 month later
    #456 1 year ago

This thing followed me home today

20221213_141500 (resized).jpg20221213_141500 (resized).jpg
    3 weeks later
    #457 1 year ago

Goodwill grab...

20230103_150414 (resized).jpg20230103_150414 (resized).jpg
    2 weeks later
    #458 1 year ago

Won the world's most neglected Sansui on GW auctions last night. Should be an interesting project. I think there's a nice amp under there somewhere.

Screenshot_20230117_053734_ShopGoodwill (resized).jpgScreenshot_20230117_053734_ShopGoodwill (resized).jpgScreenshot_20230117_053749_ShopGoodwill (resized).jpgScreenshot_20230117_053749_ShopGoodwill (resized).jpgScreenshot_20230117_053821_ShopGoodwill (resized).jpgScreenshot_20230117_053821_ShopGoodwill (resized).jpg
    #459 1 year ago
    Quoted from Jason43:

Won the world's most neglected Sansui on GW auctions last night. Should be an interesting project.

I rescued a Pioneer from a chicken coop in central Montana that made that look like a showroom piece!

You'll get it running.

#460 1 year ago
    Quoted from Jason43:

Won the world's most neglected Sansui on GW auctions last night. Should be an interesting project. I think there's a nice amp under there somewhere.
    [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Nice find. Hope you visit Audio Karma for more information.

#461 1 year ago

Fired this up on the dim bulb without any drama, surprisingly. Although, it does have some gremlins I need to sort out. While waiting on parts from mouser, I went ahead and got it cleaned up, painted the case and put in leds, which were all conveniently 6.3v #44 bulbs that I just happened to have bags of. All in all, I'm really pleased with it, at least in the looks department.

20230120_122548 (resized).jpg20230120_122548 (resized).jpg
    #462 1 year ago

Beutiful. ...... it Cleaned up nice.

1 week later
    #463 1 year ago

And since I'm on a sansui kick...

20230130_142101 (resized).jpg20230130_142101 (resized).jpg
    #464 1 year ago

Nice. I have one or two of those on the shelf, too.

#465 1 year ago

I have a friend looking to get an old Marantz or Pioneer receiver....any links to where to buy locally in Clinton Twp Michigan?

I know there's AVS Forum but is there something else out there he can look at and do some research. I don't know his budget yet

#466 1 year ago
    Quoted from 3pinballs:

I have a friend looking to get an old Marantz or Pioneer receiver....any links to where to buy locally in Clinton Twp Michigan?
    I know there's AVS Forum but is there something else out there he can look at and do some research. I don't know his budget yet

Facebook marketplace usually has a slew of vintage amps locally.

Audio karma is about the best forum for info.

#467 1 year ago
    Quoted from 3pinballs:

Hope he can get one.

Tough to get a good deal on those two brands these days. They have been taken over by the modern internet market forces because they are so popular. Pretty much anything you can find is overpriced. Often they have been modded or upgraded, which might be good or bad depending on what was done and who did it. The properly restored and fixed-up ones command very high prices. You have to do your research to understand which specific models are desirable (and more money) or not so desirable.

If you are very lucky you might find a survivor tucked away somewhere at a reasonable price. But even that is tough because the collectors are like hawks. As an example, for a while I was combing through local estate sales for examples, and I would indeed spot a nice Marantz or Pioneer. But I never could get one, even if I got there early on the first day.

#468 1 year ago

The only Pioneers that have gone through the roof are the flagships. And, honestly, they don't sound as good as the mid-powered options. Most are bloated and all have issues with the power supply (unless they have been freshly rebuilt)
    They are so crowded that heat just straight up destroys the power supply caps.
    Gorgeous. But way overpowered for most setups.

I'd be looking out for a nice clean Luxman or Sansui. About 2 - 3 models down from each years flagship model.
    A 45W Vintage rating is more than sufficient to drive most speaker setups and these models tend to have a better sound profile, imo.

#469 1 year ago
    Quoted from guitarded:

A 45W Vintage rating is more than sufficient to drive most speaker setups and these models tend to have a better sound profile, imo.

I have a Sansui AU-6600 that has an output of 42 watts. It sounds great and has handled a variety of speakers for me, but I'm not sure where the prices are these days. Mostly just posting to agree with guitarded about the sound quality available at lower watt/output levels. I have a Marantz 1060 that is also small but mighty and sounds great.

#470 1 year ago
    Quoted from guitarded:

The only Pioneers that have gone through the roof are the flagships. And, honestly, they don't sound as good as the mid-powered options. Most are bloated and all have issues with the power supply (unless they have been freshly rebuilt)
    I'd be looking out for a nice clean Luxman or Sansui. About 2 - 3 models down from each years flagship model.

I agree. Unless he needs 150wpc, the pioneers can be pretty affordable. He could find a Pioneer SX-750/780 for under $200 if he's patient.

I also agree about branching out into other brands. Sansui, kenwood, Harmon kardon etc all have amps that will rival, if not outright best the Marantz recievers for a lot less cash.

#471 1 year ago
    Quoted from guitarded:

Thank you for all the Chimed in....my friend is looking to spend up to $1k . He's not impressed with all the new stuff, especially when there's so much that can go wrong with them.

#472 1 year ago
    Quoted from guitarded:

Hello and Thanks. What are the models on those 2 ? thx Tony

#473 1 year ago

I've been but by the vintage audio bug. Here's my small collection.

PXL_20230131_175659283.jpgPXL_20230131_175659283.jpgPXL_20230131_175730795.jpgPXL_20230131_175730795.jpg
    #474 1 year ago
    Quoted from Deez:

I've been but by the vintage audio bug. Here's my small collection.[quoted image][quoted image]

How's that HK sound? I've been thinking about grabbing a 330C.

#475 1 year ago
    Quoted from 3pinballs:

Thank you for all the Chimed in....my friend is looking to spend up to $1k . He's not impressed with all the new stuff, especially when there's so much that can go wrong with them.

If he's willing to spend $1k and not looking for a diy project, tell him to look at the Just Audio website. They're very expensive, but come ready to go with warranty. $1K would probably get him in the marantz 2230 ballpark, or equivalent from another brand.

#476 1 year ago
    Quoted from Deez:

I've been but by the vintage audio bug. Here's my small collection.[quoted image][quoted image]

I have a 730 that I re-capped and rebuilt the amplifiers (two mono blocks including the power supplies... yes twin power transformers). It is one sweet sounding receiver. Definitely worth some love.

Jeff

#477 1 year ago
    Quoted from Jason43:

How's that HK sound? I've been thinking about grabbing a 330C.

Sounds amazing. I just got done recapping it and replacing the noisy transistors. I messed up something on the phono preamp though and need to repair something. I assume a transistor is backwards but it sounds amazing so far I just can't use my turntable yet.

#478 1 year ago
    Quoted from Deez:

Beautiful looking receivers.

#479 1 year ago
    Quoted from 3pinballs:

Hello and Thanks. What are the models on those 2 ? thx Tony

Depends on the features he would prefer. I personally like a 2 Turntable setup without having to sacrifice any of the tape loops / aux inputs.

Luxman R-1050 is a real nice sounding model that will run less than half of the price of an equivalent serviced Marantz / Pioneer. And, imo, it will sound better than both.

#480 1 year ago

Those of you with multiple receivers... How are you storing them? Any recommendations for a cheap, no frills rack? Doesn't need to be pretty.

#481 1 year ago

Finally sprung for the wood case. Pretty happy with it.

PXL_20230207_003936634.jpgPXL_20230207_003936634.jpg
    #482 1 year ago

Keep your eye on Amazon for good deals on cheap racks. I got a VTI rack for next to nothing from their warehouse deals, I think.

Also, local Craigslist has been pretty good to me for audiophile and audiophile budget racks.

They pop up and usually for cheap.

#483 1 year ago

Don't have a pair, but they'd be on my short list...
    pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

But I did own a pair of Genesis 44's

#484 1 year ago
    Quoted from mbwalker:

Don't have a pair, but they'd be on my short list...
    [quoted image]
    But I did own a pair of Genesis 44's
    [quoted image]

Man, I sold the 3 pair of NS1000’s I had in the past 18 months for relatively cheap (~$750/pair). The tweeters and midranges are amazing thanks to the beryllium!
    I used to run them with an Epicure amp and had two more Epicure amps for each of the JBL4430’s the NS1000’s were on. Threshold SL10 preamp. It was deafening! But crystal clear. Check out the Epicure amps…no P channel transistors anywhere in it (maybe two? I can’t remember because I haven’t cracked one open in a long time)

#485 1 year ago

<blockquote cite=

Quoted from Deez:

[quoted image]

The absolute best classic look of the 70s that will never go out of style. That's why those are $$$$.

#486 1 year ago
    Quoted from Deez:

[quoted image]

Is this like an 'aftermarket' case, or did you buy a whole new component?

I'm curious if there are places to look for non-working stuff. I have some projects I could definitely use the designs seen here, but I would never in a million years disassemble a working one

#487 1 year ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

I am aware of two sources for newly manufactured Marantz cases: PatheWings in Germany and Vintagehifiaudio in the U.S.; otherwise, old cases pop up from time to time in the usual places.

#488 1 year ago
    Quoted from Evets:

I am aware of two sources for newly manufactured Marantz cases: PatheWings in Germany and Vintagehifiaudio in the U.S.; otherwise, old cases pop up from time to time in the usual places.

Fantastic. It blows my mind how many boutique shops are out there catering to this type of situation.

#489 1 year ago
    Quoted from ryanbrooks:

Man, I sold the 3 pair of NS1000’s I had in the past 18 months for relatively cheap (~$750/pair). The tweeters and midranges are amazing thanks to the beryllium!
    I used to run them with an Epicure amp and had two more Epicure amps for each of the JBL4430’s the NS1000’s were on. Threshold SL10 preamp. It was deafening! But crystal clear. Check out the Epicure amps…no P channel transistors anywhere in it (maybe two? I can’t remember because I haven’t cracked one open in a long time)

I had a Kenwood KA-701 and the back-breaking Dynaco 400. Not sure if the '400' was 400W or weight in lbs. The Kenwood was my favorite tho.

Which Epicure amp did you have? I had to look that brand up, hadn't hear of it before.

#490 1 year ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

I'm curious if there are places to look for non-working stuff. I have some projects I could definitely use the designs seen here, but I would never in a million years disassemble a working one

It's a vintage case from ebay. Not sure where they got it from but it fit over the metal case my receiver had on it. I guess if I ever sold it I could sell the wood case separately.

#491 1 year ago
    Quoted from mbwalker:

I had a Kenwood KA-701 and the back-breaking Dynaco 400. Not sure if the '400' was 400W or weight in lbs. The Kenwood was my favorite tho.
    [quoted image]
    Which Epicure amp did you have? I had to look that brand up, hadn't hear of it before.

I think they’re just called “Epicure Model 1”? It’s the only amplifier Epicure ever made. I still have them. A friend of mine here locally has two as well. I read on Audiogon there’s maybe 100 know to still be around? Who knows? All I know is when I got the first one, I ran it side by side with an MC2205 that I’d restored. I bought the first Epicure for $200. After 15 minutes of listening to it, I put the MC2205 up for sale. Got enough for it that it covered buying the other two Epicures I later found and still put over $1000 in my pocket. Mac amps are great, I’ll never dog them (and to this day best parts department and customer service anywhere) but those Epicure amps do it for me.

#492 1 year ago

Just finished up a case for the sansui...

20230211_151414 (resized).jpg20230211_151414 (resized).jpg
    #493 1 year ago
    Quoted from Jason43:

Just finished up a case for the sansui...
    [quoted image]

That's a Buet Clark... but can it breath OK ??
    Don't want to overheat...

#494 1 year ago
    Quoted from gonzo73:

That's a Buet Clark... but can it breath OK ??
    Don't want to overheat...

Yep. There's vents on the top. The majority of the heat goes out the heat sinks on the back of the amp anyways

#495 1 year ago

Thoughts on a clean pair of Cerwin Vega D5? Guy wants $200. I remember liking these last time I heard some ten years ago.

#496 1 year ago
    Quoted from radium:

Thoughts on a clean pair of Cerwin Vega D5? Guy wants $200. I remember liking these last time I heard some ten years ago.

Really good speakers; not "best of the best" obviously. Bass is amazing (assuming it's in fine condition). Midrange is a tiny bit sketchy. Check the woofer surrounds and make sure they are intact. $200 seems like a great price

#497 1 year ago
    Quoted from radium:

I'm not a big fan of the Cerwin Vegas, but the price sure is right. I've always found them to be too out of balance between the bottom end and the mid/top end, and I am a JBL 12" woofer kind of speaker guy (4412 and 120Ti) so I normally enjoy a "fuller" sound. Even if you wind up not liking them as much as you remember, you should be able to resell them with a loss, so sounds like a painfree trial at worst and a happy marriage at best. Enjoy!

#498 1 year ago

I will add that the D-5 is one of the better/higher end models, if I remember correctly. I think D-7 was top of the line.

#499 1 year ago

Any Sherwood fans out there? I started with a 7200 way back in the early '70s. I now have this S-110CP. This was Sherwood's "monster' receiver that was similar to the 9910 from 1980. This the last of the receivers made in Japan. After that they were made in Korea. The CP meant "certified performance" and came with a factory performance spec sheet. Lots of inputs including two phonos that allow high and low impedance cartridges. The tuner is superb. This is my favourite vintage receiver.

IMG_0770 (resized).jpgIMG_0770 (resized).jpg
    #500 1 year ago

I have both the Sherwood amp and receiver that I bought brand new in about 1980. I remember the CP on at least one of them and still have the receipt and factory performance spec sheet.

There are 831 posts in this topic. You are on page 10 of 17.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vintage-stereo-club-monster-receivers-cassette-cd-players/page/10 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.