Topic Stats

• 381 posts
  • 137 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 months ago by WalrusPin
  • Topic is favorited by 421 Pinsiders
  • Topic is sticky in its sub-forum

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20231031_085847 (resized).jpg
    20231031_074039 (resized).jpg
    20231031_085748 (resized).jpg
    20231031_085731 (resized).jpg
    56478_W6 (resized).jpg
    IMG_5364 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_5363 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_5362 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_4309 (resized).JPG
    IMG_4308 (resized).JPG
    20210508_134124 (resized).jpg
    5638532A-E55D-4EEE-BFE6-963236CF04AA (resized).jpeg
    ExtenderTop (resized).JPG
    ExtenderBottom (resized).JPG
    2BF2A77E-F859-4194-A27A-AF5CFB0DF7D8 (resized).jpeg
    2CB35940-D561-49E9-BE66-6313B9309462 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

22 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 381 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 8.
    #201 8 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Rattle can paints take 3 or so weeks to fully harden, longer if thickly coated.

So the recommendation is to let them dry for 3 weeks? Holy smoke... Same for coin door I assume?

Hopefully not for cabinet before putting decals on right?

#202 8 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

The pipes slide out of the bottom of the legs in seconds, and then the whole thing stores completely flat.
    One of mine is hanging flat in my work van right now.

I didn't realize that it dismantles. Next swap I think I'll give that design a try - will probably collapse even smaller than my one.

#203 8 years ago
    Quoted from TaylorVA:

Do you have a link to your swap documentation? A WOZ swap is on my to do list.

No, couldn't find any. Been putting it off, but so far it's been ok. Just a lot of labeling and photos. I can let u know any issues I run into. Should be done this weekend.

Actually so far I've been really impressed with the JJP build - lots of easily removable connectors, and the light boards are all numbered. Most of the under pf screws are all the same also.

#204 8 years ago
    Quoted from cooked71:

No, couldn't find any. Been putting it off, but so far it's been ok. Just a lot of labeling and photos. I can let u know any issues I run into. Should be done this weekend.
    Actually so far I've been really impressed with the JJP build - lots of easily removable connectors, and the light boards are all numbered. Most of the under pf screws are all the same also.

That's what I have thought just looking at it. After the upper playfields are removed it seems pretty simple. Only thing I'm worried about is the harness being a mess as its not clean like a B/W game. Best of luck with the rest of the swap.

#205 8 years ago

You guys are BOTH doing WOZ swaps already?!?

#206 8 years ago
    Quoted from Robotoes:

I'm not, just mentally preparing.

#207 8 years ago

I have already stripped out one of the threaded holes in the top rotator. It's hard to get them tight enough so that the field doesn't move under pressure. Gotta come up with a solution for that. I drilled the holes through and am using a giant clip pin but it's to loose as well...

#208 8 years ago
    Quoted from Robotoes:

Lot's of WOZs need replacement playfields because the paint wore off all the way down to wood.

368908-i.jpg368908-i.jpg

368803-i.jpg368803-i.jpg

#209 8 years ago
    Quoted from cody_chunn:

I have already stripped out one of the threaded holes in the top rotator. It's hard to get them tight enough so that the field doesn't move under pressure. Gotta come up with a solution for that.

Make sure the tips of your knob bolts still have the sharp, factory "cupped" ends; so they can bite into the metal.

Drill a new hole and tap new threads.

Drill through the thickest part of the metal

Use a drill press to bore the hole, if you do it by hand, the hole will be larger and looser.

2 weeks later
    #210 8 years ago

Does anyone have any recommendations how to drill the holes before using the tap? I am using a hand drill and the drill bit that came with the tap and die set I bought (just a small $20 one from Menards). The hole starts drilling but then it just seems to stall and the bit just starts spinning in the hole. I'm using oil to lubricate the bit and I'm drilling into the T connectors (the black piping) so it's not the hardest metal on the planet so trying to figure out what I should be doing differently.

#211 8 years ago

Get a brand new bit.

That one is defective.

"Sharp bits make chips, dull bits make dust"

2 weeks later
    #212 8 years ago

Instead of using oil you can use wax. Not as messy, agree on getting a new bit. Buy cobalt when drilling into metal.

#213 8 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Lot's of WOZs need replacement playfields because the paint wore off all the way down to wood.

I am feeling a lot better selling my WOZ NIB. I would be livid having paid $8K and getting this.

#214 8 years ago
    Quoted from lb1:

I am feeling a lot better selling my WOZ NIB. I would be livid having paid $8K and getting this.

JJP simply forgot to apply the Mylar that is normally installed on every game since the 1970s.

-

When WOZ was being developed, people were going crazy with "highest quality game ever made" fantasies.

"The playfield is going to be 1 inch thick! The playfield is going to have 2x the layers of wood that a crappy Stern has! Ten coats of clear! The playfield is so well made, won't ever dimple! ....."

But once the game came out, it was just a regular playfield, and regular playfields need Mylar.

1 week later
    #215 8 years ago

I got my rotisserie together but didnt drill or tap the holes yet. I can drill but never tapper anything before besides girls and an occasional donkey. Maybe i missed it but is there some simple instructions on how to use the 1/4-20 thread tap thats needed for this project? Thanks alot!

#216 8 years ago
    Quoted from Redeyes:

I got my rotisserie together but didnt drill or tap the holes yet. I can drill but never tapper anything before besides girls and an occasional donkey. Maybe i missed it but is there some simple instructions on how to use the 1/4-20 thread tap thats needed for this project? Thanks alot!

Drill the hole using a #7 bit. You can tap using a drill but you really have to baby it or your tap can snap. They have hand tap holders or just use a crescent wrench if feeling cheap. You can apply wax to the tap to help it cut. I like wax over oil because it's not as messy. Turn and let off and turn again, if it gets too hard to cut the lap back it out a little and the. cut again. The metal is fairly soft so shouldn't be too difficult to do.

#217 8 years ago

thanks Taylor! worked great with wrench and wax actually. those pipe elbows are really soft metal. Your wax solution is great, motor oil isnt something i keep in my game room pinball parts but wax is! lol and its less messy
    tomorrow its time for primer

#218 8 years ago
    Quoted from Redeyes:

thanks Taylor! worked great with wrench and wax actually. those pipe elbows are really soft metal. Your wax solution is great, motor oil isnt something i keep in my game room pinball parts but wax is! lol and its less messy
    tomorrow its time for primer

Excellent, happy to help.

4 months later
    #219 8 years ago

My idea of enhancements...well one, anyway.

I stripped and wallowed out my thumbscrew hole, so I tried to enlarge it to accept a large cotter pin. That was a disaster with a handheld. Asked a friend of mine (gunsmith) who had a drill press to drill the thumbscrew hole in the shoulder of the joint where there's more material (thanks vid!) and also a hole that goes right through both that accepts the cotter pin nice and tightly. Now I can lean on the playfield or whatever and that thing is NOT GOING ANYWHERE. I found myself having to retighten the thumbscrews over and over and still the field would rotate a bit as I worked on it. Now I just tighten the thumbscrews enough to hold it in place while I insert the cotter pin. MUCH more stable and zero slippage.

Thanks to vid and the other fella that published the plans.

Rotisserie_enhancements_(resized).JPGRotisserie_enhancements_(resized).JPG

3 weeks later
    #220 7 years ago

Vid, thanks for the guide. Here's my version. Fairly straight forward. Had to use the red plastidip -- red is my color.

Question: How to do LED swaps on the rotisserie? I know certain LEDs only work one way, i.e. if it doesn't work, flip the contacts around and reinsert.

I typically use coin taker LEDs, for this particular project I will need the Alltek (sp?) driver board.

I'm sure it's an easy answer I haven't thought of. Thanks.

IMG_8015_(resized).JPGIMG_8015_(resized).JPG

#221 7 years ago
    Quoted from kilmarnock1350:

Question: How to do LED swaps on the rotisserie? I know certain LEDs only work one way, i.e. if it doesn't work, flip the contacts around and reinsert.

Plug the playfield GI connector into the cab, and just install all the LEDs right alongside the game.

#222 7 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Plug the playfield GI connector

What about controlled lamps? Or is that just a gamble? Sorry for hijacking rotisserie thread...

#223 7 years ago
    Quoted from kilmarnock1350:

What about controlled lamps? Or is that just a gamble? Sorry for hijacking rotisserie thread...

You can plug the whole game in while on the rotisserie, just be sure the bare GI wiring does not short out on the metal brackets.

#224 7 years ago

Decided It was finely time to build this tool. I plan on putting xenon on rotissere and should finish that project much faster.

Only issue I encountered was not finding the correct Silcock Replacement knobs. Menards knob didn't have knobs with the square holes.. Probably should modify list and say need ones with square holes to fit carriage bolts. Of course this is explained later...

#225 7 years ago

Completed: this produces adequate torque.
    Silcock Replacement Knob at Menards - Found this in Store.
    Danco Universal Outdoor Faucet Handle -

http://www.menards.com/main/plumbing/rough-plumbing/plumbing-installation-repair/faucet-repair/faucet-handles-accessories/danco-universal-outdoor-faucet-handle/p-1444428620410-c-8539.htm?tid=-2403770376684477386

10006_(resized).jpg10006_(resized).jpg

#226 7 years ago
    Quoted from TechnicalSteam:

Completed: this produces adequate torque.
    Silcock Replacement Knob at Menards - Found this in Store.
    Danco Universal Outdoor Faucet Handle -

Nice find!

And remember guys, don't get too hung up on the Silcock knob.

You can buy a 1/4-20 shaft threaded knob, already assembled, at any ACE, Woodcraft or real hardware store that has all the parts drawers for $2

27R16_(resized).jpg27R16_(resized).jpg

12613-l_(resized).jpg12613-l_(resized).jpg

27R15_(resized).jpg27R15_(resized).jpg

7464524-23_(resized).jpg7464524-23_(resized).jpg

#227 7 years ago

Yeah, I used the eyebolts or whatever they're called. Those thumbscrews in the first incarnation in this thread just didn't make it.

Thanks again for the how-to. I have a field in mine right now that will save me enough time to bring it to SFGE.

1 month later
    #228 7 years ago

Just built my own, originally inspired by this design. I used scrap wood I had on hand for the base and to save on cost. I found a structural pipe tee to use instead that didn't require drilling or any of the silcock knob business (http://www.lowes.com/pd/B-K-3-4-in-x-3-4-in-x-3-4-in-90-Degree-Gray-Galvanized-Steel-Structural-Pipe-Fitting-Tee/999930890), just an allen wrench to tighten. Instead of clamps I used 2' pieces of wood and thumb screws/wing nuts.

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

#229 7 years ago
    Quoted from slcpinball:

Just built my own, originally inspired by this design. I used scrap wood I had on hand for the base and to save on cost. I found a structural pipe tee to use instead that didn't require drilling or any of the silcock knob business (http://www.lowes.com/pd/B-K-3-4-in-x-3-4-in-x-3-4-in-90-Degree-Gray-Galvanized-Steel-Structural-Pipe-Fitting-Tee/999930890), just an allen wrench to tighten. Instead of clamps I used 2' pieces of wood and thumb screws/wing nuts.

That's a great idea, because the Tee is already threaded - no drilling or tapping required.

Do you know what thread the set screws are?

Someone could replace one set screw with a knob and have an easily adjustable rotation.....

032888188457_(resized).jpg032888188457_(resized).jpg

#230 7 years ago

I don't, it's quite large though and not sure it's helpful unless folks get the exact same piece. The nipple piece in the middle of the tee is 3/4" which is different from the original design too. I do like having two points of contact to tighten. One other subtlety of note is that there is slippage in one direction with it only being moderately tightened down. To help I oriented the tee on the opposite side in the opposite direction. It's slightly visible in the picture.

2 weeks later
    #231 7 years ago

I think I'll be looking to attach the rotating part to my sawhorse. These type. I would save the whole lower assembly.

Capture_(resized).JPGCapture_(resized).JPG

Basically, it would only lay on top and secured to it so I don't knock one over sending the playfield to the ground.

Would make the whole thing pretty compact when not needed. As I already have the saw horse anyway.

So I guess instead of using a Tee I would use something else, not sure what since but the hardware store should have something.

#232 7 years ago
    Quoted from Plumonium:

So I guess instead of using a Tee I would use something else, not sure what since but the hardware store should have something.

Buy these parts at the HW store and clamp or bolt it to the sawhorse.

919720c720ece827ab54e5b7a7cb7102afe7f357_(resized).jpg919720c720ece827ab54e5b7a7cb7102afe7f357_(resized).jpg

#233 7 years ago

That would be perfect!

(nice photoshop job!)

#234 7 years ago

Like this:

image.jpgimage.jpg

#235 7 years ago

here is one that folds flat swivel legs for easy storage

rot_1_(resized).JPGrot_1_(resized).JPG

1 week later
    #236 7 years ago

This guide was a great help. Built one of these a few weeks ago. Current Home Depot prices worked out to about $120 or so for all materials iirc.

Will come in handy for a Black Knight cpr pf swap next month.

6 months later
    #237 7 years ago

Does anyone in the Dallas area have a rotisserie that they would be willing to loan to me to complete a project? I am currently working on a LW3 restore and would love to use one of these but I just don't see me needing to use one after this project. Never hurts to ask.

#238 7 years ago

I'm just here for the chicken.

#239 7 years ago
    Quoted from simplykind:

I'm just here for the chicken.

There's chicken? Yum!

Sorry TxJay I can't help you. I am going to just chalk up the construction of these (some day) to the cost of a playfield restoration, but maybe I will take your lead and ask the same when the day comes.

#240 7 years ago
    Quoted from slcpinball:

I don't, it's quite large though and not sure it's helpful unless folks get the exact same piece. The nipple piece in the middle of the tee is 3/4" which is different from the original design too. I do like having two points of contact to tighten. One other subtlety of note is that there is slippage in one direction with it only being moderately tightened down. To help I oriented the tee on the opposite side in the opposite direction. It's slightly visible in the picture.

So for your build described here:
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-quick-and-dirty-rotisserie-guide/page/5#post-3237765

Did you use 3/4" pipe running down from the tee to the floor ((b/c your tee has an unthreaded 3/4" opening)? Or is that 1/2" pipe ? And either way, have you found the allen screw holds it sufficiently steady (I like the no-drill approach, but wonder whether it won't have less stability than the original design with a threaded tee that screws onto the pipe down to the floor).

1 week later
    #241 7 years ago
    Quoted from fosaisu:

Did you use 3/4" pipe running down from the tee to the floor ((b/c your tee has an unthreaded 3/4" opening)? Or is that 1/2" pipe ? And either way, have you found the allen screw holds it sufficiently steady (I like the no-drill approach, but wonder whether it won't have less stability than the original design with a threaded tee that screws onto the pipe down to the floor).

I'm pretty sure it was 3/4" pipe from the tee to the floor/base. It was plenty stable, especially when both ends of the playfield were clamped in. The two screws that came with the tee on each side did fine holding a fully loaded pf. However, when only one side was screwed in tight there was slippage if pushed in one direction. To fix that I oriented the tee on the other side so the screws came in from the opposite direction.

1 month later
    #243 7 years ago

You guys are the best! Thanks for this fantastic thread!

I bought my first pin, a Williams #Space Shuttle in pretty rough shape, and was referred here to learn how to make a rotisserie to work on it.

What a life-saver! As promised, it took less than an hour to assemble and cost about $80 in parts. Mine was a little cheaper because I made a bench-top version for my workbench, as I don't have enough room in my basement for a free-standing unit.

Thank you; what a magnificent tool; it even made it easy for my daughter to work on it with me!

IMG_4265 (resized).JPGIMG_4265 (resized).JPG

IMG_4271 (resized).JPGIMG_4271 (resized).JPG

IMG_4266 (resized).JPGIMG_4266 (resized).JPG

1 month later
    #244 6 years ago

I've got my shopping list printed out and am headed to the hardware store after work to buy and build me up one of these so I can start to work on this playfield.
    Thanks Vid for the useful intel!

IMG_6154 (resized).JPGIMG_6154 (resized).JPG

#246 6 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Here are some links for other SBM fix ups

Sweet, thanks!

I had seen your ball guide thread but not the target one.

1 month later
    #247 6 years ago

Okay guys I need your advice! I'm brand new to pin restoration, and am fixing to do my first fully shopped pin (Stern Lightning). I have VERY limited space, so here is what I'm asking for:

1) The best FOLDABLE or storable rotisserie plans that you've seen. I need it to store next to wall and still be stable, so I'm looking for the smallest "foot print" (floor space) I can find.
    2) I would like to add 2 adjustable arms to the rotisserie that can pivot over the play field, which will hold a small tray in each arm. I want to put small bolts, washers, parts in these 2 trays/tables. Plus these 2 arms can not add any more distance to the rotisserie either. I will barely have enough room to set up the rotisserie, so I can't add any additional length to the working area.
    3) Are there any posts that I missed that has step-by-step video, PDF, or pics? yea, yea, yea, The one post that had PDF files is a "dead link." I know it's really easy blah, blah, blah. But everyone on here probably has 100's of hours restoring pins and building stuff, but I'm that newbie that barely knows how to "scratch my butt" right now. I'm looking for the most thorough easy to understand instructions to make this project fun and not a "pain in the butt."

I saw the one post that added bins on each side but this takes up too much room. I only have room to work on restoring one pin at a time in my 12' X12' room, which already houses 3 pins, and one full size Sega Outrun 2.

#248 6 years ago
    Quoted from GorfFan:

1) The best FOLDABLE or storable rotisserie plans that you've seen. I need it to store next to wall and still be stable, so I'm looking for the smallest "foot print" (floor space) I can find.

This one instantly slides apart and lays 2" flat against the wall:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-quick-and-dirty-rotisserie-guide

Quoted from GorfFan:

2) I would like to add 2 adjustable arms to the rotisserie that can pivot over the play field, which will hold a small tray in each arm. I want to put small bolts, washers, parts in these 2 trays/tables. Plus these 2 arms can not add any more distance to the rotisserie either. I will barely have enough room to set up the rotisserie, so I can't add any additional length to the working area.

Take an articulating arm off of an old computer monitor. Add any tool trays you like!

#249 6 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

This one instantly slides apart and lays 2" flat against the wall:
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-quick-and-dirty-rotisserie-guide

Take an articulating arm off of an old computer monitor. Add any tool trays you like!

Yes I've seen one in action, but I should have mentioned that when there is a play field in the rotisserie that I wanted it to take up as little room as possible. I was thinking then that maybe I could make the legs swivel so when there is a play field in it, then I could push it against the wall, and only have the les that are away from the wall angled outward. The legs against the wall would be swiveled to be flat against the wall.

4 weeks later
    #250 6 years ago

Ok you weiner dogs I finally got the itch to put one together. I really cannot say enough as to how easy it is to assemble. Just take your time and you'll do fine. I bought the Harbor Freight tap set and used a vise to hold the T joints and with the 3-in-1 motor oil, it did absolutely perfectly. Absolutely perfectly! No need for a drill press at all. Anyway I bought all the parts from Lowe's today and figured I'd give an itemized rundown of the parts and current prices. This is a Lowe's in West Virginia, parts purchased on August 13, 2017.

partsisparts (resized).JPGpartsisparts (resized).JPG

Granted I also purchased the 3-in-1 oil (2.99), lacquer thinner (8.38), red outdoor primer and paint (4.98) and black plasti-dip (5.98). I also bought a bottle of Deer Park sparkling raspberry and lime water and it was really bad (1.38).

I was really disappointed in the faucet handles. It appears Lowe's does not carry silcock handles seperately any more so they are essentially five bucks. In any case, I am sure you could get this stuff cheaper with multiple trips to multiple stores but I wanted to see if I could get it done in a single shot and I did. It is currently drying from what will probably be a crummy paint job but good enough to cover the black and protect against rust. Thanks to the creators of these plans for making it so easy.

There are 381 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 8.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-quick-and-dirty-rotisserie-guide/page/5 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.