Topic Stats

• 381 posts
  • 137 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 months ago by WalrusPin
  • Topic is favorited by 421 Pinsiders
  • Topic is sticky in its sub-forum

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20231031_085847 (resized).jpg
    20231031_074039 (resized).jpg
    20231031_085748 (resized).jpg
    20231031_085731 (resized).jpg
    56478_W6 (resized).jpg
    IMG_5364 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_5363 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_5362 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_4309 (resized).JPG
    IMG_4308 (resized).JPG
    20210508_134124 (resized).jpg
    5638532A-E55D-4EEE-BFE6-963236CF04AA (resized).jpeg
    ExtenderTop (resized).JPG
    ExtenderBottom (resized).JPG
    2BF2A77E-F859-4194-A27A-AF5CFB0DF7D8 (resized).jpeg
    2CB35940-D561-49E9-BE66-6313B9309462 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

22 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 381 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 8.
    #151 9 years ago

Love this thread! Was thinking about building one myself. Looks like it's a go. Thanks!

#152 9 years ago
    Quoted from bitCurrier:

I have all the materials to make this except I'm not easily locating the sillcock handle. I even called some plumbers supply stores. Is this the Lowe's item #133575 that you used to procure the handle? http://www.lowes.com/pd_133575-33599-M72AS-HASK_4294700944__?productId=3389482
    Other than that, Ace Hardware seems to have some, but only if it is delivered to my local store and I'm not even sure if the handle has a square slot on the other side for the carriage bolt, so I don't know if I even want to try that out.

I got this one because it was all my Lowes had. It works but I need to epoxy it to the carriage bolt. Otherwise, I have to hold it on the square aligner to use it. Probably worth a trip to HD if they have a better one. My Lowes is 3 miles away and HD is 15 miles, so I'll try epoxy first.

Here's the link. http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay?partNumber=41960-1366-10006X&langId=-1&storeId=10151&productId=50063819&catalogId=10051&cmRelshp=rel&rel=nofollow&cId=PDIO1

Post edited by jazc4: Forgot link

#153 9 years ago
    Quoted from DadofTwins:

Love this thread! Was thinking about building one myself. Looks like it's a go. Thanks!

Do it. It was much easier than I anticipated, especially drilling the holes and tapping them. I don't have a vise or drill press, so I put the 36" pipe into the Tees before I drilled to stabilize them. Worked great.

#154 9 years ago
    Quoted from jazc4:

I got this one because it was all my Lowes had. It works but I need to epoxy it to the carriage bolt. Otherwise, I have to hold it on the square aligner to use it. Probably worth a trip to HD if they have a better one. My Lowes is 3 miles away and HD is 15 miles, so I'll try epoxy first.
    Here's the link. http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay?partNumber=41960-1366-10006X&langId=-1&storeId=10151&productId=50063819&catalogId=10051&cmRelshp=rel&rel=nofollow&cId=PDIO1
    Post edited by jazc4: Forgot link

that's the one. it fits the carriage bolt spec and is 2-1/2" in diameter. I picked up my materials from HD and didn't see a suitable handle at the time.

3 weeks later
    #155 9 years ago
    Quoted from Cheeks:

I made one as per the guide. Has anyone had any problems with the threads stripping? I had this problem in particular on the T joint that housed the silcock handle to prevent the playfield rotation. This happened before I even finished my first game using the new rotisserie. I've drilled a new set of Ts, but I'm wondering if others have had this problem or if there was possibly just a material defect on that piece of piping.

Having the same issue the pipe is pretty strong, so after tightening and loosening the handle multiple times, it strips the bolt that prevents the rotisserie from spinning. The result is that no matter how hard you try to tighten the handle, the playfield won't stop.

Also - I noticed that mine is feels a little flimsy and moves back and forth a bit. Does anyone else have this issue or have an idea how to fix it? I really like the rotisserie and it is well worth the money. Just want to fix these minor issues. Thanks!

#156 9 years ago
    Quoted from toro1966:

Having the same issue the pipe is pretty strong, so after tightening and loosening the handle multiple times, it strips the bolt that prevents the rotisserie from spinning. The result is that no matter how hard you try to tighten the handle, the playfield won't stop.

You could get a better grade of bolt (a "grade 8" bolt would be much stronger than the grade 0 bolt from China Depot).

You could move up in bolt size to a 5/16" bolt (if the pipe's threads ever stripped).

-

If you center the playfield for balance, it won't take much to lock it down.

3 weeks later
    #157 9 years ago

so I had a crazy idea and converted the rotisserie into a camera rig, and it kinda worked well so far. details over on the camera rig thread: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-pinball-camera-rig-club-tips-on-building-and-shooting-pinball-videos/page/2#post-2111410
    It's disassembled now as I'm going to convert mine back to rotisserie mode.

3 months later
    #158 9 years ago

Pinsniper just told me that Home Depot does not stock the Silcock knobs any longer.

If that's true, you can just get a 1/4-20 knob at any hardware store for $2.50

http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/27R16/Knob-T-Style-with-14-20-x-2-Stud.aspx

27R16.jpg27R16.jpg
    #159 9 years ago

I just bought 4 from Home Depot last Saturday here in Algonquin IL.

#160 9 years ago

Good, glad to hear they did not stop carrying them everywhere.

3 weeks later
    #161 8 years ago

Uh...maybe dumb question: assemble, prime then paint? Prime, assemble, paint? Prime, paint, assemble? I'm thinking A/P/P as the wrenches are gonna scar the finish...

#162 8 years ago

You don't have to crank on the black pipe for a gas tight connection.

If you are doing a showroom paint job, stick a large screwdriver through the fittings and snug them up w/o a wrench.

#163 8 years ago

I just figured the tighter the joints, the sturdier it would be.

Just want a good finish w/o wrench bite marks.

3 weeks later
    #164 8 years ago

I think it will be my turn to try this one out I have never really worked with Pipe so I pretty much need to buy the whole thing. Going through HD website, I can find pretty much everything, just a couple questions:

-I could not find the exact 3.5" x 1/2" Nipple black pipe on their site? the 1/2" comes in 3 or 4" long but the only 3.5" long I found was the 3/4" diameter... I am missing it?

-I am not a painter, only did a coin door with spray paint, so can I use the below metal primer and spray paint for the Rotisserie as well?
    http://www.homedepot.com/p/Rust-Oleum-Stops-Rust-12-oz-Clean-Metal-Primer-Spray-Paint-7780830/100143442
    http://www.homedepot.com/p/Rust-Oleum-Professional-15-oz-Black-Flat-Protective-Enamel-Spray-Paint-7578838/100114318
    Would one of each be enough?

thanks!

#165 8 years ago

I just attached mine to 2 trestles.
    I had to add some wood blocks to build it out a bit so when it rotates it wouldn't hit the legs.
    Works well and the weight of it makes it quite stable.

#166 8 years ago
    Quoted from hisokajp:

-I am not a painter, only did a coin door with spray paint, so can I use the below metal primer and spray paint for the Rotisserie as well?
    http://www.homedepot.com/p/Rust-Oleum-Stops-Rust-12-oz-Clean-Metal-Primer-Spray-Paint-7780830/100143442
    http://www.homedepot.com/p/Rust-Oleum-Professional-15-oz-Black-Flat-Protective-Enamel-Spray-Paint-7578838/100114318
    Would one of each be enough?

thanks!

Those both should be fine.

Gloss black would be a little more durable in the long run.

#167 8 years ago
    Quoted from hisokajp:

-I could not find the exact 3.5" x 1/2" Nipple black pipe on their site? the 1/2" comes in 3 or 4" long but the only 3.5" long I found was the 3/4" diameter... I am missing it?

I could not find it on their site, but they have it in their stores.

If there were no 3.5" left in the world, you could just get the 4" and it would be almost as good.

#168 8 years ago

thanks Vid'

1 month later
    #169 8 years ago

Just did a 5 minute Home Depot special. The l brackets were miscuts so the just gave them to me.

image.jpgimage.jpg

image_1.jpgimage_1.jpg

image_2.jpgimage_2.jpg

4 weeks later
    #171 8 years ago

Mike Engle had sent instructions via rgp years ago. I built one to do my TZ restore. Invaluable. Thank you for paying it forward Vid.

#172 8 years ago

Yeah, the earliest reference anyone has shown me to our hobby's black pipe rotisserie is in a 90's woodworking book that uses it for door refinishing on all sides.

They show the same angle iron wings, like we use now, but they use threaded machine screw knobs with sharpened tips to hold the door, rather than the clamps we use.

1 week later
    #173 8 years ago

Thanks Vid.. Stripped my first PF this weekend using mine..

image.jpgimage.jpg

#174 8 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Yeah, the earliest reference anyone has shown me to our hobby's black pipe rotisserie is in a 90's woodworking book that uses it for door refinishing on all sides.
    They show the same angle iron wings, like we use now, but they use threaded machine screw knobs with sharpened tips to hold the door, rather than the clamps we use.

That may be true but the plans for this rotisserie were copied verbatim from plans I originally designed and posted on RGP with no permission asked or given.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/just-in-case-you-havent-built-a-rotisserie-yet

#175 8 years ago
    Quoted from Pinballmike217:

That may be true but the plans for this rotisserie were copied verbatim from plans I originally designed and posted on RGP with no permission asked or given.
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/just-in-case-you-havent-built-a-rotisserie-yet

There are like 3 of you guys all claiming to have be the inventor of the black pipe rotisserie.

One guy even went as far as to send me a picture of it in a woodworking book with a 1990© copyright date, claiming he was the author.

I imagine each of you guys could have independently invented it, stranger things have happened.

The only person I'm certain did not invent it is me.

#177 8 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

There are like 3 of you guys all claiming to have be the inventor of the black pipe rotisserie.
    One guy even went as far as to send me a picture of it in a woodworking book with a 1990© copyright date, claiming he was the author.
    I imagine each of you guys could have independently invented it, stranger things have happened.
    The only person I'm certain did not invent it is me.

All anyone has to do is look at our two stock lists. You copied mine verbatim. I just don't understand why you refuse to give credit where credit is due. You do a ton for Pinside. You don't have to take credit for other peoples work when you have done so much on your own. This is the right way to do it, ask permission and give credit:
    http://pinballbash.com/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=21b5ec87ff1a857fbb6c12aa632da738&topic=8355.0

#178 8 years ago

I give him credit for posting the instructions here on pinside nothing else. I would think this is what most people think as well.

It isn't like it is brain science most anyone could have come up with this solution. If the design and credit mean that much to you did you happen to Patient it?

Let it go Mike. Perhaps you should have posted it here before Vid did??

#179 8 years ago

I just don't understand why you refuse to give credit where credit is due. You do a ton for Pinside

You keep bringing this up year after year.

I gave you credit 2 years ago in post #26 of this guide:

Quoted from vid1900:

Pinball Mike posted about making one in 2005 on RGP.

I don't want anyone to feel slighted, least of all a fellow Pinsider! Thanks Mike!

=

You don't have to take credit for other peoples work when you have done so much on your own.

2 years ago in post #1, the very first line, I said that I did not invent this:

Quoted from vid1900:

First, I did not invent this.

-

So I gave you credit, I said I did not invent this, and there are 2 other guys who claim THEY invented it, one of whom has authored a book with the plans published in 1990.

#180 8 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

You keep bringing this up year after year.
    I gave you credit 2 years ago in post #26 of this guide:

=

2 years ago in post #1, the very first line, I said that I did not invent this:

-
    So I gave you credit, I said I did not invent this, and there are 2 other guys who claim THEY invented it, one of whom has authored a book with the plans published in 1990.

Well Vid you clearly stated you didn't invent this but you never said who did. Why not? Why not just link to the original plans you copied to do your build? The guy you reference in 1990 built a rotisserie for doors not pinball playfields. That is clearly not the rotisserie in this post.
    I would have posted my plans here but I had not joined Pinside before you reposted my plans from RGP. I am honestly flattered when people use and repost my design. That is why I put it out there. It is just mind boggling to me that someone who gives so much to Pinside is incapable of acknowledging someone else for just trying to help as well. You say you didn't design this. Once again, what is the problem with saying who did? Why can't you just state for the record that you reprinted a design originally posted by me?
    Once again, thanks for reposting my design. Whatever reason you have for not divulging where you first saw this design is your own business. I greatly appreciate and publicly thank you for all your awesome posts and tutorials. You have shared a ton of great information with Pinside and I have enjoyed the knowledge that you've shared.

#181 8 years ago

Alright, I have a feeling I'm being punked, but I'll give this one last try so this does not go on anther 3 years. (I've been emailed that English might not be your first language - sorry, I did not know that) ......

-

The guy you reference in 1990 built a rotisserie for doors not pinball playfields. That is clearly not the rotisserie in this post.

It has the exact same parts, except all the 1/4-20 knobs are plastic T-style knobs.

It has the exact same assembly, except for the pinball rubbers around the legs.

E-X-A-C-T-L-Y the same.

It is just mind boggling to me that someone who gives so much to Pinside is incapable of acknowledging someone else for just trying to help as well.

I hope your mind is not so boggled that you missed your acknowledgement in post #46 in this thread 2 years ago.

I even went as far as to say I did not want you to feel slighted:

Quoted from vid1900:

I wanted to point out that Pinball Mike posted about making one in 2005 on RGP.

I don't want anyone to feel slighted, least of all a fellow Pinsider! Thanks Mike!

So once and for all, thank you Mike, Forrest and Steve (and any one else that I surely don't know about) for inventing, constructing, adapting and importing the pipe rotisserie into the world of woodworking and pinball.

#182 8 years ago

Thanks for reposting my design, Vid. Yes, I did build the first black pipe playfield rotisserie in 2005, and then posted these plans for the newer version on RGP in 2011:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/mike217/sets/72157626484933268/
    It was very thoughtful of you to share it with Pinside. In the future, if anyone else would like to repost my design it is common courtesy to ask for permission first and include my name on my design.
    Mike

Can we all just get along!

#183 8 years ago

I rarely ignore a pinsider but it has made this thread more readable.

#184 8 years ago

Vid, just get it over with and skewer him.

You are being too nice; you certainly aren't that nice to me when I post something stupid.

Native english speaker or not, you have acknowledged him 20 times already. If he needs more attention than that, let Mike pay for a blowjob like the rest of us.

#185 8 years ago

BTW: Mike's version that he built does not have pinball rubbers to keep the rotisserie from sliding around the shop or scratching up the floors.

It just uses a scrap of wood to keep the thing from rocking.

#186 8 years ago
    Quoted from cichlid:

If he needs more attention than that, let Mike pay for a blowjob like the rest of us.

Pay for blowjobs?

Ahhhh.....you must be married......(rimshot).

http://instantrimshot.com/index.php?sound=rimshot&play=true

#187 8 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Alright, I have a feeling I'm being punked, but I'll give this one last try so this does not go on anther 3 years. (I've been emailed that English might not be your first language - sorry, I did not know that) ......
    -

It has the exact same parts, except all the 1/4-20 knobs are plastic T-style knobs.
    It has the exact same assembly, except for the pinball rubbers around the legs.
    E-X-A-C-T-L-Y the same.

No need to worry about my English Vid, I can read just fine. Please post a link to the wood working rotisserie that is E-X-A-C-T-L-Y the same. I'd like to take a look at it. Thanks.

#188 8 years ago

Forest or Steve, could one of you guys email me that scan from the woodworking book or magazine again please?

I'm not sure if I have your email address from 3 years ago.

I won't mention your name if you still don't want me to.

Thanks,

Vid

1 month later
    #189 8 years ago

so just went through assembling my rotisserie (great job btw!) I am just not sure how to get the cap and flange all the way in? It seems the thread is bigger/longer than the cap/flange? Anyway to get around it?

WP_20151003_15_15_08_Pro.jpgWP_20151003_15_15_08_Pro.jpg

#190 8 years ago
    Quoted from hisokajp:

so just went through assembling my rotisserie (great job btw!) I am just not sure how to get the cap and flange all the way in? It seems the thread is bigger/longer than the cap/flange? Anyway to get around it?

Just fill the gap with some washers.

#191 8 years ago

cool, i'll try that, need to find some big one

#193 8 years ago

Couple of observations:

Thumbscrews on the top 'rotor' do not cut it. You need them TIGHT. Eye screws are the way to go. You can leverage them with a screwdriver and cinch them down good. Thanks to the guy who suggested them. I still might drill the holes all the way through and use clips.

The bottom pipes are right where your feet need to be most of the time and are very annoying, uncomfortable and eventually painful. You almost need a decking surround the same thickness as the pipes so your feet don't get catholic school punishment.

Still, it is a great tool and has made my current project much easier on my body and easier to perform. Love it!

#194 8 years ago

I'd like to give a great big shout out to Vid for showing me how to build such a simple but useful rotisserie (see my post #64 from 2 years ago). Without Vids instructions and help I'm sure my Revenge From Mars would still be a basket case. Vid's instructions were clear and easy to follow. Vid really knows what contributions are useful to the pinball community and his rotisserie is a great contribution. I wish everyone on Pinside could make valuable contributions like Vid regularly does. I'm so glad we have a the great Pinsider such a Vid

Drops mic (mike) and leaves.

boom.gifboom.gif

QSS

#195 8 years ago
    Quoted from QuickSilverShelby:

I'd like to give a great big shout out to Vid for showing me how to build such a simple but useful rotisserie (see my post #64 from 2 years ago).

Careful here. You might revive some heated discussions as to who was really the first one to come up with the design.

1 week later
    #196 8 years ago

hey finally done my rotisserie... cleaning, priming and painting sure took way longer than actually making the rotisserie

This is one of my first paint job and with the effort spent on cleaning, priming and painting I have to say I am very disappointed with the brittle factor of the paint...
    The littlest friction scratch the paint off and of course any of the pipes going through the T only a couple of time pretty much ripped most the paint off...
    Am I doing something wrong? I thought two coats of primer and gloss paint would be stronger than that... Should I repaint on tom and clear this time?
    WP_20151012_20_10_56_Pro.jpgWP_20151012_20_10_56_Pro.jpg
    WP_20151016_16_35_57_Pro.jpgWP_20151016_16_35_57_Pro.jpg
    WP_20151016_16_36_07_Pro.jpgWP_20151016_16_36_07_Pro.jpg
    WP_20151016_16_45_45_Pro.jpgWP_20151016_16_45_45_Pro.jpg

#197 8 years ago

Here's my quick and dirty version.

Cost me about $30 in timber and a few bolts. Already had the Gorilla benches. Since I'm not doing a huge amount of pf work all the time, plus I don't have room to store a full permanent rotisserie (like vids one), this one works really well. When I'm done, I can just take it apart and store.

image_2.jpgimage_2.jpgimage_1.jpgimage_1.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage_3.jpgimage_3.jpg

#198 8 years ago
    Quoted from hisokajp:

Am I doing something wrong? I thought two coats of primer and gloss paint would be stronger than that... Should I repaint on tom and clear this time?

Rattle can paints take 3 or so weeks to fully harden, longer if thickly coated.

#199 8 years ago
    Quoted from cooked71:

Cost me about $30 in timber and a few bolts. Already had the Gorilla benches.

Cool design!

I love the benches for holding stuff on the ends.

Quoted from cooked71:

I don't have room to store a full permanent rotisserie (like vids one)

The pipes slide out of the bottom of the legs in seconds, and then the whole thing stores completely flat.

One of mine is hanging flat in my work van right now.

#200 8 years ago
    Quoted from cooked71:

Here's my quick and dirty version.
    Cost me about $30 in timber and a few bolts. Already had the Gorilla benches. Since I'm not doing a huge amount of pf work all the time, plus I don't have room to store a full permanent rotisserie (like vids one), this one works really well. When I'm done, I can just take it apart and store.
    image_2.jpg image_1.jpg image.jpg image_3.jpg

Do you have a link to your swap documentation? A WOZ swap is on my to do list.

There are 381 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 8.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-quick-and-dirty-rotisserie-guide/page/4?hl=quinntopia and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.