Topic Stats

• 381 posts
  • 137 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 months ago by WalrusPin
  • Topic is favorited by 421 Pinsiders
  • Topic is sticky in its sub-forum

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20231031_085847 (resized).jpg
    20231031_074039 (resized).jpg
    20231031_085748 (resized).jpg
    20231031_085731 (resized).jpg
    56478_W6 (resized).jpg
    IMG_5364 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_5363 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_5362 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_4309 (resized).JPG
    IMG_4308 (resized).JPG
    20210508_134124 (resized).jpg
    5638532A-E55D-4EEE-BFE6-963236CF04AA (resized).jpeg
    ExtenderTop (resized).JPG
    ExtenderBottom (resized).JPG
    2BF2A77E-F859-4194-A27A-AF5CFB0DF7D8 (resized).jpeg
    2CB35940-D561-49E9-BE66-6313B9309462 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

22 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 381 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 8.
    #51 11 years ago

I built this same one (single vertical on each end). Some complain that it isn't very stable, but I found if the vertical pipes and those parallel with the angle are really cranked down in the T joints, it moves very little. I get bit by the corners of the angle iron some, so i will likely look to round the corners and dip them in the liquid plastic stuff (duct tape for the time being)

#52 11 years ago
    Quoted from wizzardz:

I built this same one (single vertical on each end). Some complain that it isn't very stable,

It is sturdy enough for the air sander, so I say it is sturdy enough.

There are welded units that are more sturdy, but they don't store flat, and would be hard to take out to a repair job.

#53 11 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

That's what is great about the design, you can easily modify it to your specs.
    One guy who emailed me saying he designed the first pipe rotisserie back in the 1980s, said he originally used it to restore antique doors. Obviously you would need to use two 1/2" x 96" black pipes if you had to secure a door between the uprights.

Yes, you can easily modify the design by leaving out the original designers name and taking credit for someone elses work.
    And yes, you can say someone else built a door rotisserie in the 1980's. I never said I built the first rotisserie. I said I built the first black pipe pinball playfield rotisserie.

Mike

#54 11 years ago
    Quoted from Pinballmike217:

And yes, you can say someone else built a door rotisserie in the 1980's. I never said I built the first rotisserie. I said I built the first black pipe pinball playfield rotisserie.

I'm sure someone can print you a certificate for being the original inventor of the ghetto rotisserie.

#55 11 years ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

I'm sure someone can print you a certificate for being the original inventor of the ghetto rotisserie.

LOL, That would be wonderful, Thank you. I designed it, I built it, I shared it, and I never asked anyone for a nickel for it. So yes, the occasional thank you is a very satisfying reward, indeed.

Mike

#56 11 years ago

thanks Mike. Your design is simple, functional, is cheap and easy to obtain parts and build. It requires no special parts or equipment to build (e.g., welding). It stores away easy and provides the functionality needed. Anyone can tweak the design in anyway they find a need to or feel improves on it. The only way I can find to improve on it is to build a second to make pf swaps easier. good form man

1 month later
    #57 11 years ago

Paint is currently drying, $60 in pipes. Unfortunately I didn't have the tap kit and angle iron was $10. Total was $100. Thanks a lot for the instructions!

#58 11 years ago

Forgot to mention I did make one slight change, instead of using thumb screws and a silcock handles. I am using 1/4 x 20 eye hooks crews. My reasoning behind that was ill always have a handy Phillips or flat head screw driver to tighten or loosen the rotisserie.

image.jpgimage.jpg

#59 11 years ago
    Quoted from CASTHOF:

I am using 1/4 x 20 eye hooks crews. My reasoning behind that was ill always have a handy Phillips or flat head screw driver to tighten or loosen the rotisserie.

Nice mod.

#60 11 years ago

Or do this

That's a standard chop saw table with some new 1"x1" square tubing and some boat seat swivels. Stand was $80 here in Canada and then another 20" to 30$ in misc parts including the swivels. Oh and time investment over the true home made ones - this took me a couple hours including the trip to the local hardware store.

Not knocking anyone else's design. I'm just an impatient type so this was much easier for me.

IMG_0912.JPGIMG_0912.JPG IMG_0910.JPGIMG_0910.JPG IMG_0909.JPGIMG_0909.JPG

#61 11 years ago

Nice! How does the swivel lock on that?

#62 11 years ago
    Quoted from Hobbypinball:

Not knocking anyone else's design. I'm just an impatient type so this was much easier for me.

Woodworkers have been using black pipe rotisseries since at least the 1990s, it's time to get some fresh ideas in the air.

#63 11 years ago
    Quoted from zippydapinhead:

Nice! How does the swivel lock on that?

I just put a clamp on the swivel as you could lock in anywhere, another option would be to drill through both halves of the swivel, but unless you wanted to drill a ton of holes you'd have limited options on the angle you could lock it at. Also the seat swivels aren't "free wheeling", it'll only move if you move it yourself, the weight of a populated playfield didn't have it turning on its own.

2 weeks later
    #64 11 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

First, I did not invent this. This Rotisserie has been around in some form or another since your wife was young. Every woodworking oldtimer has one of these for their wood finishing.
    Second, with all the Rotisserie posts today, I though I'd put this up without thread crapping on anyone else s post.
    What is good about this Rotisserie is that you can get all the parts in one trip to the hardware store and put it together in less than a hour. If you are a handy sort of person, you probably have most of the stuff in the rafters of your garage.
    It breaks down in less than a minute and stores flat.
    Super sturdy because it is made entirely of metal.
    It adjusts for any size playfield in seconds.
    Everything is made from "Black Pipe". No welding and only one easy cut with a hacksaw gets you an unbreakable playfield Rotisserie.
    Shopping list (print and take with):
    (2) 36" x 3/4" black pipe
    (4) 12" x 3/4" black pipe
    (8) 3/4" Tee
    (2) 48" x 1/2" black pipe
    (2) 3.5" x 1/2" Nipple black pipe
    (2) 1/2" Cap black pipe
    (2) 1/2" Floor Flange
    (4) 1/4"-20 x 3/4" Screws
    (6) 1/4"-20 Nuts
    (6) 1/4"-20 Lock Washers
    (2) 1/4"-20 x 4" Carriage Bolt
    (4) 1/4"-20 Thumb Screws
    (2) Silcock Replacement Knob
    (1) 36" x 1.5x 1.5" Perforated Angle
    Stuff you already have:
    13/64 Drill Bit
    1/4"-20 Thread Tap
    Motor Oil
    Hack Saw
    Pipe Wrenches
    Lacquer Thinner
    Enamel Paint and of course metal Primer
    Old pinball rubbers

Vid, I just built a rotisserie using your guide and it is simple and excellent. Only one thing I'd like to comment on. You state to use 1/2" x 48" pipe for the long lengths but I think you actually need 1/2" x 60" pipe for the long lengths because the 48" pipes are not long enough to take a playfield.

I built mine and when I went to put a playfield on it I couldn't extend things out far enough to accept my RFM playfield which is 43" long. I could only get a maximum 41" spread therefore I was 2" short. My TAF playfield is 46" long so I would be 5" short.

I solved this by buying another length of 1/2" x 6" pipe and a coupler and added on to my existing 48" pipe so I should be good now.

Just wanted to let everyone know that 1/2" x 60" pipe is what you need and not the 48" long.

Other than that, thanks for the tutorial.

QSS

#65 11 years ago
    Quoted from QuickSilverShelby:

Vid, I just built a rotisserie using your guide and it is simple and excellent. Only one thing I'd like to comment on. You state to use 1/2" x 48" pipe for the long lengths but I think you actually need 1/2" x 60" pipe for the long lengths because the 48" pipes are not long enough to take a playfield.
    I built mine and when I went to put a playfield on it I couldn't extend things out far enough to accept my RFM playfield which is 43" long. I could only get a maximum 41" spread therefore I was 2" short. My TAF playfield is 46" long so I would be 5" short.
    I solved this by buying another length of 1/2" x 6" pipe and a coupler and added on to my existing 48" pipe so I should be good now.
    Just wanted to let everyone know that 1/2" x 60" pipe is what you need and not the 48" long.
    Other than that, thanks for the tutorial.
    QSS

The original plans I designed for the black pipe rotisserie called for 60" crossbeams:

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.games.pinball/browse_thread/thread/314082a1fa8a60bd/ac371b4396b9ffa8?lnk=gst&q=pinballmike217+rotisserie#ac371b4396b9ffa8

I don't know why Vid choose shorter crossbeams when he reposted my plans, they are too short.

Mike

#66 11 years ago
    Quoted from QuickSilverShelby:

Probably the floor flanges are different from brand to brand, making that difference (x2 yet).

BUT what I totally forgot about is that some playfields like GNR are 51" long! So yes get 60" lengths to cover anything the pinball world can throw at you.

I changed the OP.

Thanks for pointing that out!

=

Stolen from rob046:

EM
    ----------------------------------------------------
    Bally 70s EM - standard : 20.25" x 41.00" [514mm x 1041mm]
    Gottlieb 70s EM - standard : 20.25" x 41.00" [514mm x 1041mm]

Early SS
    Atari - widebody : 27.00" x 45.00" [686mm x 1143mm]
    Bally (Pre WMS) - standard : 20.25" x 42.00" [514mm x 1067mm]
    Bally (Pre WMS) - widebody : 26.75" x 40.50" [679mm x 1029mm]
    Gottlieb System 1 - standard : 20.25" x 42.00" [514mm x 1067mm]
    Gottlieb System 80 - standard : 23.75" x 46.50" [603mm x 1181mm]
    Gottlieb System 80 - widebody : 26.75" x 46.50" [679mm x 1181mm]
    Stern Early SS - widebody : 23.875" x 45.00" [606mm x 1143mm]
    WMS System 1-11 - standard : 20.25" x 42.00" [514mm x 1067mm]
    WMS System 1-11 - widebody : 27.00" x 42.00" [686mm x 1067mm]
    Zaccaria SS - standard : 20.25" x 42.00" [514mm x 1067mm]

Modern SS
    Capcom - standard : 20.25" x 46.00" [514mm x 1168mm]
    Data East - standard : 20.25" x 46.00" [514mm x 1168mm]
    Data East - widebody : 25.00" x 51.75" [635mm x 1314mm]
    WMS WPC (until 1987) - standard : 20.50" x 42.00" [521mm x 1067mm]
    WMS WPC (1987 on) - standard : 20.50" x 46.00" [521mm x 1168mm]
    WMS WPC - superpin : 23.25" x 46.00" [591mm x 1168mm]
    WMS Pinball 2000 - standard : 20.50" x 43.00" [521mm x 1092mm]

1 week later
    #67 11 years ago

I just built this yesterday. Awesome and very simple to construct. The most difficult part was making sure everything squared up properly and the vertical pipes with the rotating angles were the same height. Some of the pipes I bought wanted to tighten a little easier than others.

I have a general question about using a rotisserie. Is it dangerous to leave a playfield in one long term? With the amount of slop in the rotating mechanism and the lack of horizontal support I'm concerned about the play field bowing slightly. I'm assuming an unpopulated playfield would weigh less and be and not be so much of an issue though. Maybe I could buy 2 more pref angles and use them to span the length of the playfield.

#68 11 years ago
    Quoted from ArcadiusMaximus:

I just built this yesterday. Awesome and very simple to construct. The most difficult part was making sure everything squared up properly and the vertical pipes with the rotating angles were the same height. Some of the pipes I bought wanted to tighten a little easier than others.
    I have a general question about using a rotisserie. Is it dangerous to leave a playfield in one long term? With the amount of slop in the rotating mechanism and the lack of horizontal support I'm concerned about the play field bowing slightly. I'm assuming an unpopulated playfield would weigh less and be and not be so much of an issue though. Maybe I could buy 2 more pref angles and use them to span the length of the playfield.

If you are going to leave a playfield on the rotisserie for a long time you can rotate it to a vertical position instead of leaving it horizontal. Either way it is not really a worry. When you put the wood edges back on the playfield after you're finished they will square everything up again.

#69 11 years ago

If you are storing a playfield for a long time, screw some rails to the back to keep the playfield from warping.

2 months later
    #71 10 years ago

We had a lot of yellow laying around. Haha 20130605_212814.jpg20130605_212814.jpg

#73 10 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

This Rotisserie has been around in some form or another since your wife was young.

You've got that right, vid.

p80_600.jpgp80_600.jpg

#74 10 years ago
    Quoted from futurepinhead:

We had a lot of yellow laying around. Haha

Wow! Look at the center of that Space Shuttle playfield! Do you think you can touch it up?

#75 10 years ago
    Quoted from Pafasa:

Wow! Look at the center of that Space Shuttle playfield! Do you think you can touch it up?

Touch up is out of the question on this one haha. I got my CPR in the mail.

3 weeks later
    #76 10 years ago

After doing 2 playfield restorations without a rotisserie I finally got around to making one. Used some of what was posted in this thread. Made mine to mount on a pair of wood sawhorses, made the channel out of 2x4 because I did not like the idea of metal, the clamps hold well but added the hairpin because if bumped they can easily loosen.

100_5932.jpg100_5932.jpg

#77 10 years ago

Interesting use of the hold down clamps.

I like it.

#78 10 years ago

They are small, do not get in the way and hold well . I let this sit for 2 weeks vertical (cat proof)with no slipping.

#79 10 years ago

I also did a slight variation on the standard pipe design similar to sixpakmopar's. My rotisserie uses the standard threaded pipe & flange setup adapted to mount to a set of metal sawhorses. Angle iron seemed ridiculously expensive at home despot so I made up ends from some 3/4 plywood. Playfield is held in place with c-clamps and wood working clamps. The plywood works nice since it has some give to reduce risk of marring a play field once clamped up.

Total cost was something like $30 since I already had the sawhorse legs and clamps and wood. The sawhorse legs get used on all sorts of projects but the rotisserie parts are small enough to store in my garage attic when not in use.

P1020611.jpgP1020611.jpg

#80 10 years ago

That is a great mod.

Wood on wood is a "no scratch" solution for sure.

1 week later
    #81 10 years ago

I just did this. Parts from my local Lowes ran me $210, this included the clamps coming in at over $40. I thought about running to harbor freight (50 miles away) but then with the drive plus the possibility of having sub-par clamps I decided to get the better ones. I would hate to lose a fully populated play field because I went cheap on clamps! All in all I love this rotisserie and I think even though the materials costs have gone up it will still pay for itself in time and frustration saved, especially if you are like me and somehow managed to line up like 7 playfield swaps in your queue!

#82 10 years ago

In addition to clamps I tie-wrap each end of the playfield to the angle iron so I never worry about the playfield slipping off.

#83 10 years ago

Since they break down flat for storage, it's cool to have 2 of them side by side for playfield swapping.

#84 10 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Since they break down flat for storage, it's cool to have 2 of them side by side for playfield swapping.

I thought about making two for that purpose!

#85 10 years ago

Done. $77. Thanks for putting this up. (And everything else you put up!)

IMG_5310.JPGIMG_5310.JPG

#86 10 years ago
    Quoted from Mk1Mod0:

Done. $77. Thanks for putting this up. (And everything else you put up!)

Man why was mine so much!? 2 60" pipes alone were $25 at my lowes

#87 10 years ago

I started looking into building a rotisserie and like this design. One question that comes to mind is the position of the long parallel pipes on the floor. Aren't they located where one would typically stand or move around, meaning that you end up stepping on them quite a bit?

#88 10 years ago

I do stand on them when using a pneumatic sander for extra stability.

When sitting, my legs are between the pipes.

Kind of like a "bar rail" at the local saloon, it just seems natural to have a foot on one of them.

#89 10 years ago

I see. Yes, sitting down, it seems to be quite natural and not a big deal at all to have them around.
    I am looking into a standing up version which would be a lot more comfortable for me. I am going away for several weeks with some long flights and plenty of time to think about design.

By the way, many thanks to you vid1900 for generously sharing a great deal of fantastic information. In particular, your posts on restoring playfields and rebuilding flippers have been a massive source of inspiration.

1 week later
    #90 10 years ago
    Quoted from Joshmx19:

Man why was mine so much!? 2 60" pipes alone were $25 at my lowes

You should have bought the 120" pipe and cut it. That is what I did. Way cheaper.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_313570-185-314+34X120_4294821999__?productId=3538958&Ntt=3%2F4+inch+pipe&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNtt%3D3%252F4%2Binch%2Bpipe&facetInfo=

They might cut it for you if you ask nice.

#91 10 years ago

As far as metal costs go, find your local welding supply. Likely to find metal much cheaper.

#92 10 years ago
    Quoted from Soapman:

You should have bought the 120" pipe and cut it. That is what I did. Way cheaper.
    http://www.lowes.com/pd_313570-185-314+34X120_4294821999__?productId=3538958&Ntt=3%2F4+inch+pipe&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNtt%3D3%252F4%2Binch%2Bpipe&facetInfo=
    They might cut it for you if you ask nice.

That still leaves the need to thread it.

#93 10 years ago
    Quoted from ChadTower:

That still leaves the need to thread it.

With this design it doesnt matter if the ends aren't threaded, the fitting just slips over the end and tightens with thumb screws.

My only advice is to use short thumb screws for those floor level ones. I used really long ones, and ive caught my bare feet on them more than I'd care to admit.

2 weeks later
    There are 381 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 8.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-quick-and-dirty-rotisserie-guide/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.