IMG_1719 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1726 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9736 (resized).jpeg
70881237416__8D01E86C-86A6-4FC5-BC46-EA5EA935BDA3 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0007 2 (resized).JPG
IMG_0005 2 (resized).JPG
IMG_0006 2 (resized).JPG

Topic index (key posts)

15 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #6 Get the right EOS switch Posted by vid1900 (11 years ago)

Post #8 Make System 11 Flippers Feel Tight Like Fliptronic Posted by vid1900 (11 years ago)

Post #88 Replace Old Series Coils With New Parallel Coils Posted by vid1900 (11 years ago)

Post #140 Udate Old Solid State Flippers Into Fliptronic Style Posted by vid1900 (11 years ago)

Post #292 List of games with longer/shorter flipper travel Posted by vid1900 (10 years ago)

Post #294 Rebuilding 1967-1979 Flippers Posted by vid1900 (10 years ago)

Post #390 Coil stop differences between system 11 and Fliptronic Posted by vid1900 (10 years ago)

Post #520 Rebuilding Bally Linear Flippers Posted by vid1900 (9 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider razorbak86.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#584 9 years ago
Quoted from ryanwanger:

Can you explain this a bit more in detail? I'm not sure I see why that would make a difference since the coil stop only comes into play at end of a flipper stroke.
I'm talking about the flippers being at rest, and having too much play when struck by a ball.

Sounds like a worn flipper bushing, with an elongated hole for the flipper shaft. Did you replace the flipper bushing?

1 month later
#656 9 years ago

WestOfRome, even though the bushing is mounted below the playfield, the top of the bushing extends above the playfield, so Vid is indeed talking about the gap between the bottom of the flipper and the top of the bushing, both of which are above the playfield. The gap should be about the thickness of a standard plastic credit card, which can be used above the playfield to "gap" the flipper when tightening in its final position. If you are doing this yourself without an assistant, you will be holding the flipper and the credit card underneath it with one hand above the playfield, and tightening the screw on the flipper shaft with your other hand below the playfield.

1 month later
#706 9 years ago

Vid, the 1/8" gap should be between the contacts, right?

#708 9 years ago

Ok, thanks.

1 month later
#803 9 years ago

Vid, do you mount the spring washer on any particular side of the coil?

Spring Washer.jpgSpring Washer.jpg

#805 9 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Normally it goes on the plunger side.

Thanks. That's what Eddie at Modern Pinball said, too.

Curiously, Stern's manuals often show it on the coil stop side (see pic below), but it makes more sense to place it on the plunger side to enable better alignment of the coil stop.

Spring Washer (7) on Coil Stop Side.jpgSpring Washer (7) on Coil Stop Side.jpg

1 month later
#848 8 years ago

1 year later
#1513 7 years ago
Quoted from Haymaker:

Does anybody know the materials that the coil stops are made out of? Are most of them just steel? I do PVD coatings at work such as titanium nitride (if you've ever seen the gold drill bits at the store, thats the stuff). I've constantly been wondering what kind of pinball stuff I could coat at work as TiN has a great gold color but perhaps more importantly will add significant durability to things that are coated. An idea I've been kicking around is maybe coating a set of plungers and coil stops. In theory they would last significantly longer than ever possible before. Of course you'd still have to replace things like sleevs and EOS switches, not to mention the links, which is kind of a PITA but I am more just wanting to do it just to test my theory.

Plungers and coil stops tend to "mushroom" (i.e., a type of plastic deformation, permanently deforming the metal) due to the repeated impact and the hardness of the steel. Would TiN really solve or minimize that problem?

6 months later
#1706 7 years ago
Quoted from Bruce:

vid1900 i have noticed recently on my ST Pro that the left flipper (while strong and otherwise working perfectly) has some play when a ball hits it at full speed.
For example - I have the left flipper up (engaged) and the ball flys down the left orbit bounces on the flipper - the flipper 'gives' a bit if that makes sense - it moves towards the unengaged flipper position just a little - before returning to the fully engaged position immediately. This does not happen with right flipper.
Is there any way to remedy this? Not a huge issue by any means, but it would be good for it to feel solid like the right.

Sounds like it may be a sloppy bushing. The hole for the flipper shaft may have elongated, allowing more movement than when new?

4 months later
#1839 6 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Okay and what does the filing do exactly? Just trying to understand the theory behind it.

Quoted from zacaj:

The assumption being you can't make it tighter because the two sides have already 'met', so if you file them back you can close it a bit further, gripping the shaft tighter.

Correct. From an engineering perspective, the pawl that grips the flipper shaft relies on elastic deformation, and that is only possible with a gap between the ends to allow the metal in the pawl to bend under force (i.e., the bolt is tightened). Once the force is released (i.e., the bolt is loosened), the metal returns to its original shape, allowing the shaft to be removed.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deformation_(engineering)

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.00
$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 12.95
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

12,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Wilmington, DE
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 53.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

14,000 (OBO)
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanted
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 1,319.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 0.00
Lighting - Backbox
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

€ 160.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 959.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

2,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Vista, CA
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider razorbak86.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-to-upgradingrebuilding-flippers?tu=razorbak86 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.