IMG_1719 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1726 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9736 (resized).jpeg
70881237416__8D01E86C-86A6-4FC5-BC46-EA5EA935BDA3 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0007 2 (resized).JPG
IMG_0005 2 (resized).JPG
IMG_0006 2 (resized).JPG

Topic index (key posts)

15 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #6 Get the right EOS switch Posted by vid1900 (11 years ago)

Post #8 Make System 11 Flippers Feel Tight Like Fliptronic Posted by vid1900 (11 years ago)

Post #88 Replace Old Series Coils With New Parallel Coils Posted by vid1900 (11 years ago)

Post #140 Udate Old Solid State Flippers Into Fliptronic Style Posted by vid1900 (11 years ago)

Post #292 List of games with longer/shorter flipper travel Posted by vid1900 (10 years ago)

Post #294 Rebuilding 1967-1979 Flippers Posted by vid1900 (10 years ago)

Post #390 Coil stop differences between system 11 and Fliptronic Posted by vid1900 (10 years ago)

Post #520 Rebuilding Bally Linear Flippers Posted by vid1900 (9 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider JRC6000.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2533 3 years ago

HI, I'm working in a '74 Williams Triple Action and feel like the flippers are a little weak. I appreciate this thread, it's helped me realize I need to rebuild and I'm ready to give it a go. I'm planning on keeping with the original style (I like things as vintage as possible). I thought I'd check the coils and have a question. The flippers right now have FL21-375/28-400. However the manual states it should be FL20-300/28-400. As far as I can tell, I think the coils are working, but don't think they are the right ones.

Should I order new FL20-300/28-400 or keep the ones in there? What would be the difference? Could the wrong coil be causing the flippers to feel a little weak?

Thanks.

1 week later
#2546 3 years ago

With help from this thread, I rebuilt my flippers and replaced the coils. The coils that were on my machine were weaker than standard. One side works great, but the other won't fire. When I push the flipper button, I hear a noise but it doesn't move. I've already re-soldered everything just to be sure, so I'm pretty confident that it isn't a problem there. Interestingly enough, if I hold the button and manually move the coil, it will hold on. It just won't fire when I push the button (just make a weak noise). Is it possible I just got a bad coil? Any other thoughts?

#2549 3 years ago

Thanks, I actually thought of the EOS switch. I originally didn't change it, but decided to when I did the second round of soldering. So, the situation is the same with both the old and new switch (although I did run a flexstone through the new one based on the suggestion just in case).

Attached are some pictures. I had to solder on some extra wire because everything was really short and I'm new to soldering, so I know it's not real neat. But that's what it looks like now.

Also, here is a video of what's happening. I'm pretty sure I put the outer wires on the same sides they were. Would this happen if I accidentally inverted them?

This is a '74 Williams Triple Action. Thanks!

IMG_0904 (resized).JPGIMG_0904 (resized).JPGIMG_0906 (resized).JPGIMG_0906 (resized).JPG
#2550 3 years ago

Well I just learned a lesson in taking better pictures before moving anything. Turns out I reversed the two outer lugs. I switched the wires and now it's working. Thanks for the input.

1 week later
#2554 3 years ago

Has anyone had the experience of trying to remove a flipper bat when one of the bolts holding it in was broken off? I've got one and the bolt is broken flush with the pawl. I'm thinking using a cutting wheel on a Dremel and trying to cut the pawl. Does that sound possible or is there another way?

pawl (resized).jpgpawl (resized).jpg
#2559 3 years ago
Quoted from dozer1:

I think you are on the right track there. I might try Dremel cutting a flat head slot in the broken off screw and removing with a flat head screwdriver. Try and wet a small rag or something to catch the grindings.

Great idea. Unfortunately, making a slot didn't work. Turns out the metal wasn't too strong and I was able to cut it off. Not as bad as I had feared.

#2561 3 years ago
Quoted from RDBowers:

Have you tried a save extractor?

Great minds think alike! I did try those, but couldn't get any bite into the screw.

2 months later
#2607 3 years ago

Working on an old Williams EM (1973 Jubilee) and the flipper bats kept rotating no matter how hard I turned the screws. So I did the whole flipper rebuild kit, and bought new flipper bats. Now, one is holding strong, but the other is still rotating slightly down as you play until it's really low. Are there any tricks to get them to stay put? The screws on the new pawls don't really have a point, so they aren't biting into the bats. Should new shafts be roughed up a little? Maybe there is something else I'm missing?

1 year later
#2803 1 year ago

I did a flipper rebuild on my Bally X's & O's including the flipper switches as they were badly pitted. I'm getting some sticking of the flippers on the right side. While investigating, I noticed that the flipper switch itself on that side seems to be sticking. I cleaned with alcohol but still happening. Can the flipper switch itself magnetize somehow? I widened the gap a little to see if that would help, but still happening. It seems to start after a few minutes of play, so it builds up over time.

#2806 1 year ago
Quoted from slochar:

No, but the arc can weld them together. You can file a 'crown' onto one of the switches to prevent this. (or both but I usually just do one).
You can also add a capacitor to the switch to reduce the arc.

OK, sounds like adding a capacitor is easy enough. Just solder between the two tabs, right? Never done this before, what capacitor do I need? I'm about to place an order with PBResource, so easy to add. There are a ton of things on that page! Any idea which I can use?

http://www.pbresource.com/eleccomp.html

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.00
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

€ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 1,159.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

11,250 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Trumansburg, NY
$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PFX Pinball Mods

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 78.50
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

2,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Vista, CA
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Newcastle, OK
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 70.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 0.00
Playfield - Other
PinJewels

$ 1,319.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Westjordan, UT
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 1,059.00
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider JRC6000.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-to-upgradingrebuilding-flippers?tu=JRC6000 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.