IMG_1719 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1726 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9736 (resized).jpeg
70881237416__8D01E86C-86A6-4FC5-BC46-EA5EA935BDA3 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0007 2 (resized).JPG
IMG_0005 2 (resized).JPG
IMG_0006 2 (resized).JPG

Topic index (key posts)

15 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 2,887 posts in this topic. You are on page 44 of 58.
#2151 5 years ago

Hi vid1900 I went to rebuild my 1965 Williams Lucky Strike's flippers and found the EOS switches included in my era-specific rebuild kit did not match. Apparently Lucky Strike (and a few others, Full House maybe more) use a Make / Break EOS switch (SW-12A-6 / A-5325-2) that is, according to Steve Young, no longer manufactured. I've been trying to track down what my solution is here but I'm not smart enough to figure this out on my own.

I only found one thread in all of pinside referencing these switches and that guy said he had to make his own. Have you encountered this? Thanks in advance!

#2152 5 years ago
Quoted from play_pinball:

Hi vid1900 I went to rebuild my 1965 Williams Lucky Strike's flippers and found the EOS switches included in my era-specific rebuild kit did not match. Apparently Lucky Strike (and a few others, Full House maybe more) use a Make / Break EOS switch (SW-12A-6 / A-5325-2) that is, according to Steve Young, no longer manufactured. I've been trying to track down what my solution is here but I'm not smart enough to figure this out on my own.
I only found one thread in all of pinside referencing these switches and that guy said he had to make his own. Have you encountered this? Thanks in advance!

You are probably going to have to rebuild the switches yourself.

Steve can supply you with replacement contacts and/or blades.

Post a picture if you need to.

-

Remember, you can often use other brands/configuration EOS Switches that what came with the game.

We do this all the time when we install the much superior Williams EOS into our Bally games.

Or think of when we take apart the switch stack on a **lane change** game and reassemble it with a new EOS, but keep the rest of the old switch stack intact.

Or think when you have a wonky switch and find that the factory installed the blades backwards; rivets touching rivets instead of contacts touching contacts.

Once you take take a stack apart, you will see how easy it is to rebuild/repair.

#2153 5 years ago
Quoted from arcademojo:

I think you are right that only Pinball 2000 used the different size plungers.
So looks like the following for matching games to original flipper travel when converting over to new style.
I would use:
A-10821 coil stop for System 3 to 7
A-12111 coil stop for System 9 to 11
Last concern would be the new vs old style links. I'm guessing I need the old style with use of A-10821 since it has the longest travel.

The other variable is the diameter of the crank, the part that clamps to the flipper bat. When I was modernizing a Gorgar, I believe the 1969-79 crank had a slightly different diameter (distance from the flipper bat shaft to the plunger pawl) than a WPC era crank. That will also yields a change in bat travel for a given pawl movement distance.

It also had a different overall pawl length (from link hole that connects to the crank to end of pawl) if I remember correctly.

2 weeks later
#2154 5 years ago

vid1900 is it necessary to bend the tip of the longer blade down a bit so that it makes better contact with the crank? It looks that way in your pictures. I did that and followed everything in your guide. Yet on my Mata Hari my left flipper seems noticeably weaker than the right flipper. I think I can’t get that EOS gap quite correct on the left side. I may have over adjusted it to the point where I have weakened the blades.

#2155 5 years ago
Quoted from phillyfan64:

is it necessary to bend the tip of the longer blade down a bit so that it makes better contact with the crank? It looks that way in your pictures.

If it was 40 years ago and we had a genuine part, we would not have to bend anything.

But companies put these switches together and say "It's a Bally 449245234345-3" and then they put another from the same parts, different spacers and say "it's a Gottlieb 34423-242334".

Now the flippers have been rebuilt 30 times over their 40 year life span.

Sometimes Ops reverse the switch mounting plate, or remove spacers from the stack, or put another "close enough" switch mount on the base.

So we often have to bend something, or add a spacer or whoknowswhat to make do with what we can get.

Quoted from phillyfan64:

I may have over adjusted it to the point where I have weakened the blades.

If you fatigue the blade so much it breaks, you can get just a single blade from PBR.

I have a bunch of spare blades, spacers and blade lifters, because sometimes you have to build a non existent switch from scratch.

http://pbresource.com/pfswitch.htm#common

#2156 5 years ago

Thanks vid1900, I am going to swap out the EOS switch. I have to place an order with PBR anyway.

#2157 5 years ago

I have to rebuild the flippers on my T2. I ordered a rebuild kit many months ago, just in case I needed it and lo-and-behold, now I do. I re-read the guide, and saw that Vid recommends replacing the coils. Since I was at work, I looked in the manual (posted on ipdb.org) and it said to use FL-11630 (https://www.pinballlife.com/williamsbally-fl-11630-flipper-coil.html). That matched what Pinball Life's site said too, so I didn't think anything of it. I got home and looked at what's there, and saw it's FL-11629 (blue).

So I checked ipdb.org again, and while the manual does say 11630 (red), the "Parts list" text file on the site says 11629 (blue).

So which is correct? And more importantly, does it matter? Can I use the red one I ordered?

Edit: Looking at this thread, the person has 11629 (blue) coils... :/ https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/terminator-2-weak-flippers

Edit2: This thread from 2004 says I should use red... even though most have blue... https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/rec.games.pinball/qmx97KWng2k

#2158 5 years ago

Just put modern flipper mechs in a Stellar Wars I was cleaning up. Wow, what an improvement over the EM style flipper mechs that came in that game!

#2159 5 years ago
Quoted from Fezmid:

I have to rebuild the flippers on my T2. I ordered a rebuild kit many months ago, just in case I needed it and lo-and-behold, now I do. I re-read the guide, and saw that Vid recommends replacing the coils. Since I was at work, I looked in the manual (posted on ipdb.org) and it said to use FL-11630 (https://www.pinballlife.com/williamsbally-fl-11630-flipper-coil.html). That matched what Pinball Life's site said too, so I didn't think anything of it. I got home and looked at what's there, and saw it's FL-11629 (blue).
So I checked ipdb.org again, and while the manual does say 11630 (red), the "Parts list" text file on the site says 11629 (blue).
So which is correct? And more importantly, does it matter? Can I use the red one I ordered?
Edit: Looking at this thread, the person has 11629 (blue) coils... :/ https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/terminator-2-weak-flippers
Edit2: This thread from 2004 says I should use red... even though most have blue... https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/rec.games.pinball/qmx97KWng2k

I thought mine played much better with blue. Could make the left orbit consistently

#2160 5 years ago
Quoted from Fezmid:

I re-read the guide, and saw that Vid recommends replacing the coils.

Just to clarify, we don't **always** replace the coils.

If we blow a coil, if there was a Service Bulletin that the factory installed the wrong ones, or if we are upgrading from those small form factor late 70's coils to full size ones - those are good reasons.

But the coils themselves never "get old" or "lose their strength" - they are just copper wire wrapped around a plastic bobbin

#2161 5 years ago

Thanks, Vid! I guess I'll leave my blues and see what happens as it sounds like things should be fine. I'll keep the red coils for parts I guess.

When I was messing with my T2 today, I found out that my lock hole at the end of the left orbit isn't working consistently either. After nearly two years, I finally have to learn how to fix stuff, so next up is to figure out how a lock hole works.

#2162 5 years ago
Quoted from Fezmid:

After nearly two years, I finally have to learn how to fix stuff, so next up is to figure out how a lock hole works.

If the "lockhole" is the Saucer, then it's just 2 parts: a switch that the weight of the ball depresses, and an arm attached to the coil that pops the ball back into play.

Go into Switch Test and see if the switch works when a ball is rolled into it.

#2163 5 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

If the "lockhole" is the Saucer, then it's just 2 parts: a switch that the weight of the ball depresses, and an arm attached to the coil that pops the ball back into play.
Go into Switch Test and see if the switch works when a ball is rolled into it.

It seems like the arm isn't extending all the way -- it squeaked when I pushed it down manually. So I think what's happening is that the switch is closed more than it's supposed to be and it tries popping up, but because it's "sticky," it doesn't pop the ball out very well, so it keeps clicking. Probably an easy fix (for those who know what they're doing), but hopefully easy for me too with some work.

#2164 5 years ago
Quoted from Fezmid:

It seems like the arm isn't extending all the way -- it squeaked when I pushed it down manually.

The arm is one of the few things in pinball that needs a 1/10 of a drop of oil.

The coil sleeve could be worn out (same smaller sleeve that is used in pop bumpers ect), or crud in the plunger.

Take the the coil bracket off (four 1/4" hex screws, then remove the arm mech and see what you've got.

#2165 5 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

The arm is one of the few things in pinball that needs a 1/10 of a drop of oil.
The coil sleeve could be worn out (same smaller sleeve that is used in pop bumpers ect), or crud in the plunger.
Take the the coil bracket off (four 1/4" hex screws, then remove the arm mech and see what you've got.

Thanks! I'll check it out this weekend. Any special kind of oil? Just WD-40 (assuming that's the issue)?

#2166 5 years ago
Quoted from Fezmid:

The game came stock with the FL-11630’s. The 11629’s have less resistence / higher current - which make them stronger coils. On T2 this is ok since you have a lot of long shots and it makes it easier/more consistent to make them. However not recommended on games where you have closer targets to shoot at due to risk of breaking things. So either are ok in this game. I read somewhere (maybe on one of the part supplier’s sites) that this was a recommended “upgrade” so i bought a pair of 11629’s for my T2 - after i already rebuilt with 11630’s. but never ended up installing them. My game played fine with the originals. I think clean, tight mechs and linkages where you don’t lose power is more important.

#2167 5 years ago
Quoted from Fezmid:

Thanks! I'll check it out this weekend. Any special kind of oil? Just WD-40 (assuming that's the issue)?

WD40 is not oil, and it will migrate through the entire machine.

Use Zoom Spout Oil, even the smallest bottle will last you a lifetime and then some

1/10 of a drop !!!! I put it in a needle oiler

#2168 5 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

WD40 is not oil, and it will migrate through the entire machine.
Use Zoom Spout Oil, even the smallest bottle will last you a lifetime and then some
1/10 of a drop !!!! I put it in a needle oiler

Thank you again - like I said, I still have a lot to learn, and I'm thankful for people like you on this site that are willing to help.

Just to make sure I don't screw it up -- you mean this for the oil: https://www.amazon.com/Supco-CE441-Zoom-Spout-Oiler/dp/B00DM8JK2G/ref=sr_1_5

And this to apply the oil: https://www.amazon.com/Precision-Applicator-ARES-Precisely-Lubricants/dp/B017L1MOJA/ref=sr_1_4

#2169 5 years ago
Quoted from Fezmid:

Thank you again - like I said, I still have a lot to learn, and I'm thankful for people like you on this site that are willing to help.
Just to make sure I don't screw it up -- you mean this for the oil: amazon.com link »
And this to apply the oil: amazon.com link »

This is the exact Zoom oil I use :

https://www.amazon.com/ounce-Zoom-spout-oiler-79704G/dp/B0029NHARC/ref=sr_1_1_sspa

And you can get needle oilers 2 for .75 cents shipped from ebay, don't overpay on amazon

ebay.com link: sch

#2170 5 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

This is the exact Zoom oil I use :
amazon.com link »
And you can get needle oilers 2 for .75 cents shipped from ebay, don't overpay on amazon
ebay.com link

vid1900 eBay link is not working. How exactly do you apply 1/10 of a drop?

#2171 5 years ago
Quoted from phillyfan64:

vid1900 eBay link is not working. How exactly do you apply 1/10 of a drop?

Just put Needle Oiler into search, then sort by price + shipping lowest first

1/10 of a drop: Form a drop on the tip, let it slightly run down the shaft, then suck the drop back inside.

#2172 5 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Just put Needle Oiler into search, then sort by price + shipping lowest first
1/10 of a drop: Form a drop on the tip, let it slightly run down the shaft, then suck the drop back inside.

Thanks vid.

#2173 5 years ago

To close the loop - the issue was the switch for the hole. It wasn't making good contact and also wasn't always opening when the ball ejected. I adjusted the switch and all seems good.

I did find this bit of humor by that area though - didn't know pennies were something that should be in my repair kit! Lol.

IMG_20181019_195107 (resized).jpgIMG_20181019_195107 (resized).jpg
#2174 5 years ago
Quoted from Fezmid:

didn't know pennies were something that should be in my repair kit!

Yes, I use them in my ex's fuse boxes all the time.

#2175 5 years ago

Is there a reason to replace the capacitor if the flipper already has one?

#2176 5 years ago
Quoted from Fezmid:

Is there a reason to replace the capacitor if the flipper already has one?

Only if it shorts out.

Those caps tend to last a long time

#2177 5 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Only if it shorts out.
Those caps tend to last a long time

Great, thanks. Saves me some time.

Just took apart the flipper for the first time (including my first time desoldering! Woohoo!). However when I took it apart, the assembly looks pretty good... It looks more like the new kit I bought than the pictures vid showed in the thread. Should I just put this back together? Maybe it was some sort of tension issue causing the flipper not to go down? Or am I missing something here?

IMG_20181021_143307 (resized).jpgIMG_20181021_143307 (resized).jpgIMG_20181021_143322 (resized).jpgIMG_20181021_143322 (resized).jpg
#2178 5 years ago
Quoted from Fezmid:

Should I just put this back together? Maybe it was some sort of tension issue causing the flipper not to go down? Or am I missing something here?

Plunger and Coil Stop look pretty good.

Get rid of that compression spring (nobody uses those any more) and the sleeve.

#2179 5 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Plunger and Coil Stop look pretty good.
Get rid of that compression spring (nobody uses those any more) and the sleeve.

Are you saying not to use a spring at all? My rebuild kit came with springs but if they aren't needed, one less thing to worry about

#2180 5 years ago
Quoted from Fezmid:

Great, thanks. Saves me some time.
Just took apart the flipper for the first time (including my first time desoldering! Woohoo!). However when I took it apart, the assembly looks pretty good... It looks more like the new kit I bought than the pictures vid showed in the thread. Should I just put this back together? Maybe it was some sort of tension issue causing the flipper not to go down? Or am I missing something here?
[quoted image][quoted image]

Make sure there's no play in the link

#2181 5 years ago
Quoted from Fezmid:

Are you saying not to use a spring at all? My rebuild kit came with springs but if they aren't needed, one less thing to worry about

Don't use a compression spring, switch to extension springs:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-to-upgradingrebuilding-flippers#post-284661

#2182 5 years ago

Oh, I kept skipping those steps because T2 isn't a System 11 according to IPDB, so I didn't think it applied. Back to reading.

#2183 5 years ago
Quoted from Fezmid:

Oh, I kept skipping those steps because T2 isn't a System 11 according to IPDB, so I didn't think it applied. Back to reading.

Not a system 11, but they didn't upgrade their flippers until after the first 5-10 wpc games. Until then they still used system 11 'style'

#2184 5 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

Not a system 11, but they didn't upgrade their flippers until after the first 5-10 wpc games. Until then they still used system 11 'style'

...and you never know what you will find installed in a pin, lol

#2185 5 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

...and you never know what you will find installed in a pin, lol

Like a penny being used as a spacer! Lol

#2186 5 years ago

Success.....!!!! I think...

It seems like everything is working -- the flipper bat is in the right position, it has good power, I can hit all of the shots. Things seem good. The only thing I noticed is that I can pull up and down on the flipper bat more than I can on the other flipper. There's always the gap under both of them from the credit card at least. I went under the playfield and played around with the mech, and found out that there's more give there - but I can't figure out a way to stop that as there's no screws to tighten or anything. I went back to my rebuild kit vs. the one I took out, and overall there's just more play there... Am I missing something obvious?

I made my mission of getting it working before my coworkers come over on Wednesday, so that's good -- and when I play, I can't feel any difference from before -- but I can't help but feel like I did something wrong (mostly because I've never done anything like this before so I had to have screwed SOMETHING up, right?)

#2187 5 years ago
Quoted from Fezmid:

Success.....!!!! I think...
It seems like everything is working -- the flipper bat is in the right position, it has good power, I can hit all of the shots. Things seem good. The only thing I noticed is that I can pull up and down on the flipper bat more than I can on the other flipper. There's always the gap under both of them from the credit card at least. I went under the playfield and played around with the mech, and found out that there's more give there - but I can't figure out a way to stop that as there's no screws to tighten or anything. I went back to my rebuild kit vs. the one I took out, and overall there's just more play there... Am I missing something obvious?
I made my mission of getting it working before my coworkers come over on Wednesday, so that's good -- and when I play, I can't feel any difference from before -- but I can't help but feel like I did something wrong (mostly because I've never done anything like this before so I had to have screwed SOMETHING up, right?)

Different size coil stops? Older shorter stops let the plunger go into the sleeve further than later stops which leads to more flipper travel.

e.g. https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-to-upgradingrebuilding-flippers/page/43#post-4608260 has a picture of a long stop vs a short stop.

#2188 5 years ago
Quoted from ajfclark:

Different size coil stops? Older shorter stops let the plunger go into the sleeve further than later stops which leads to more flipper travel.
e.g. https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-to-upgradingrebuilding-flippers/page/43#post-4608260 has a picture of a long stop vs a short stop.

No, it's the up/down motion that has play (pulling the flipper up from the playfield).

#2189 5 years ago
Quoted from Fezmid:

No, it's the up/down motion that has play (pulling the flipper up from the playfield).

Ah, ok. Any difference in the plastic bushing? Otherwise I'd just say loosen the crank on the loose one and slide it closer to the playfield.

#2190 5 years ago
Quoted from Fezmid:

I went back to my rebuild kit vs. the one I took out, and overall there's just more play there... Am I missing something obvious?

Use the credit card as your gap tool, BUT make sure your pawl is all the way against the bushing under the playfield.

If you don't, you will have too much gap.

#2191 5 years ago

So, I'm coming to the end of a BK playfield swap, and have done all the things you're supposed to do but have no power to the right flippers. I can't figure it out and it's making me nuts!

I upgraded the flippers as per Vid's recommendation, and this is not my first rodeo doing flipper rebuilding/installation. Everything was assembled on the bench, EOS gaps dialed in, good solid solder joints (I checked them and even re-flowed a couple just to be sure.)

There's current going to the switches, there's equal voltage to all 4 coils, I've got good continuity from the cabinet switches to the coils. The right flippers *initially worked*, but quickly died completely. I don't have the wiring reversed (Upper right - BLUE to banded side of diode, BLK/YEL to non-banded. Lower right - BLUE to banded side, BLU/VIO to non-banded), and the flipper fuse in the backbox is fine, as are the fuses under the playfield (checked continuity through the fuse holder to be sure the old holders were getting good contact. They are.)

The boards are new. I have also done a continuity check from the power lug back to the driver board, and from the ground lug at the cabinet switch back to the board, just to be sure there wasn't a problem with the connectors themselves. Also have continuity in those places.

I am completely stumped. It's probably something dead simple staring me in the face, but I've checked through all the things I can think to. Very strange problem. Help?

#2192 5 years ago

[edit: wrong thread]

#2193 5 years ago
Quoted from sethbenjamin:

So, I'm coming to the end of a BK playfield swap, and have done all the things you're supposed to do but have no power to the right flippers. I can't figure it out and it's making me nuts!
I upgraded the flippers as per Vid's recommendation, and this is not my first rodeo doing flipper rebuilding/installation. Everything was assembled on the bench, EOS gaps dialed in, good solid solder joints (I checked them and even re-flowed a couple just to be sure.)
There's current going to the switches, there's equal voltage to all 4 coils, I've got good continuity from the cabinet switches to the coils. The right flippers *initially worked*, but quickly died completely. I don't have the wiring reversed (Upper right - BLUE to banded side of diode, BLK/YEL to non-banded. Lower right - BLUE to banded side, BLU/VIO to non-banded), and the flipper fuse in the backbox is fine, as are the fuses under the playfield (checked continuity through the fuse holder to be sure the old holders were getting good contact. They are.)
The boards are new. I have also done a continuity check from the power lug back to the driver board, and from the ground lug at the cabinet switch back to the board, just to be sure there wasn't a problem with the connectors themselves. Also have continuity in those places.
I am completely stumped. It's probably something dead simple staring me in the face, but I've checked through all the things I can think to. Very strange problem. Help?

Do the coils fire when you run a jumper ground?

3 weeks later
#2194 5 years ago
Quoted from Kawydud:

Do the coils fire when you run a jumper ground?

Re-pinned all the board connections. Problem solved.

#2195 5 years ago

So, I'm working on a Gameplan machine, and the flippers aren't horrible, but while I'm in here tearing everything down, it occurs to me that there's no real reason why one could swap out the flipper mechs for the much nicer Williams ones. Only thing is, I don't know what combo of plunger/coil stop would give the same flipper stroke as the Gameplan ones. Has anybody done this already?

#2196 5 years ago

Pinball Life will fix you up, just email them.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
1 week later
#2197 5 years ago

Running the risk of beating a dead horse but still being fairly new to all this i want to make sure. I picked up a 1980 Williams Scorpion on the weekend. Unit plays but a few things need to be serviced. My flipper assemblies are all worn out and sloppy and one of the coils was burnt up. Reading this thread i see that upgrading to a new more modern flipper assembly is suggested.

The existing flipper assemblies are these https://www.pinballlife.com/full-flipper-assembly-for-williams-machines-from-021980-to-081983.html

Because Im planning on actually replacing the units is there a better flipper / coil assembly I should upgrade to ? Vid mentioned this one flipper assembly in a post and noted to change the coil in the selection back to match the stock coil listed (SFL 19-400 / 30-750) https://www.pinballlife.com/full-flipper-assembly-for-williamsbally-machines-from-021992-to-101998.html

Or is there a better or different recommended flipper and coil that is an option? Should I switch to a parallel coil as I believe what I have now is series because of the single diode on it.

#2198 5 years ago
Quoted from wolffcub:

Running the risk of beating a dead horse but still being fairly new to all this i want to make sure. I picked up a 1980 Williams Scorpion on the weekend. Unit plays but a few things need to be serviced. My flipper assemblies are all worn out and sloppy and one of the coils was burnt up. Reading this thread i see that upgrading to a new more modern flipper assembly is suggested.
The existing flipper assemblies are these https://www.pinballlife.com/full-flipper-assembly-for-williams-machines-from-021980-to-081983.html
Because Im planning on actually replacing the units is there a better flipper / coil assembly I should upgrade to ? Vid mentioned this one flipper assembly in a post and noted to change the coil in the selection back to match the stock coil listed (SFL 19-400 / 30-750) https://www.pinballlife.com/full-flipper-assembly-for-williamsbally-machines-from-021992-to-101998.html
Or is there a better or different recommended flipper and coil that is an option? Should I switch to a parallel coil as I believe what I have now is series because of the single diode on it.

You've got to stick to the voltage of the coil. You can't put a 50v coil in a game designed for 28v (I mean you can, but you won't be happy, lol)

Follow this exactly:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-to-upgradingrebuilding-flippers/page/3#post-773606

If you are re-using your base plate, just change out the spring + EOS Switch like page one of this thread.

#2199 5 years ago

Over the Thanksgiving holiday I was able to complete the restore on Laser Ball with two minor issues, 1: the 4 type 89 bulbs still have issues (see other thread if interested)
2: had to properly gap my flipper EOS, I quickly went to this section of the thread, https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-to-upgradingrebuilding-flippers/page/6#post-1097672, grabbed my handy dandy leaf switch tools and started in. I prefer to deflect the leafs as little as possible and having worked on a few machines now, I have switch parts a-plenty. So I grab a few sizes, build up the switch stack to near perfection, then just slightly finish the fine tune with the tools. As Vid states, it takes a little time but I'd say about 20 minutes later, with as close to 1/8" inch, no more, no less gap. One switch did have to be physically mounted in a slight variation from factory as the pawl was hitting the nylon spacer. Once relocated, I fired her up and as the amigos say, "BOOM". I had no idea the flippers switches were that mis-aligned. Thanks again Vid for all your insight.

20181126_190958 (resized).jpg20181126_190958 (resized).jpg20181126_191323 (resized).jpg20181126_191323 (resized).jpg20181126_192526 (resized).jpg20181126_192526 (resized).jpg
#2200 5 years ago
Quoted from Atari_Daze:

I prefer to deflect the leafs as little as possible and having worked on a few machines now, I have switch parts a-plenty. So I grab a few sizes, build up the switch stack to near perfection, then just slightly finish the fine tune with the tools. As Vid states, it takes a little time but I'd say about 20 minutes later, with as close to 1/8" inch, no more, no less gap.

Great idea and i was considering doing something like that in adding a second switch to an existing one (separate thread on wiring double flippers on a Gottlieb like Bally does on their Paragon and HG.) The stack is a bit high so I was considering taking the switches apart and removing some spacers.

Question: do you do something to put the stack all together as one unit with a plastic sleeve down the screw hole attached with flanges at both ends? Or only have a flange on the sleeve at one end, and the mounting screw holds it all together? Or something else? If flanged at both ends how are you making the second flange? Thanks! (Apologies if the answer is already posted in the thread somewhere... it’s a long thread to go through now !)

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
12,500 (OBO)
$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
2step’s shop

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

11,250 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Trumansburg, NY
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PFX Pinball Mods

$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 1,319.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 0.00
Playfield - Other
PinJewels

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 41.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

12,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Wilmington, DE
$ 12.95
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

14,000 (OBO)
$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 1,159.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

There are 2,887 posts in this topic. You are on page 44 of 58.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-to-upgradingrebuilding-flippers/page/44?hl=srcdube and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.