IMG_1719 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1726 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9736 (resized).jpeg
70881237416__8D01E86C-86A6-4FC5-BC46-EA5EA935BDA3 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0007 2 (resized).JPG
IMG_0005 2 (resized).JPG
IMG_0006 2 (resized).JPG

Topic index (key posts)

15 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 2,887 posts in this topic. You are on page 30 of 58.
#1451 7 years ago

Ok, so I've followed this guide trying the left flipper first and must have connected the wires wrong, because when I tried to flip, the solenoid fuse blew. I put in a breaker fuse to troubleshoot. I changed up the wires and am pretty sure it is wired correctly now, but nothing happens when I press the flipper button. Could I have blown a coil diode? That is what I will be checking next. I also need to replace the flipper shafts for longer ones because the old sterns don't reach the Williams flipper pawls. Can anyone provide a link to purchase the longer shafts for part number A-193?

#1452 7 years ago
Quoted from Lysurgeon:

Ok, so I've followed this guide trying the left flipper first and must have connected the wires wrong, because when I tried to flip, the solenoid fuse blew. I put in a breaker fuse to troubleshoot. I changed up the wires and am pretty sure it is wired correctly now, but nothing happens when I press the flipper button. Could I have blown a coil diode?

Or maybe you blew the driver transistor?

#1453 7 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Or maybe you blew the driver transistor?

Old Sterns didn't have driver transistors.

Quoted from Lysurgeon:Ok, so I've followed this guide trying the left flipper first and must have connected the wires wrong, because when I tried to flip, the solenoid fuse blew. I put in a breaker fuse to troubleshoot. I changed up the wires and am pretty sure it is wired correctly now, but nothing happens when I press the flipper button. Could I have blown a coil diode? That is what I will be checking next. I also need to replace the flipper shafts for longer ones because the old sterns don't reach the Williams flipper pawls. Can anyone provide a link to purchase the longer shafts for part number A-193?

Order the old classic Bally flippers from Marco, that's what I had to do. I may, however, jump up to newer WPC flipper bats, as the old Bally bats were thicker than the old Sterns.

#1454 7 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

Old Sterns didn't have driver transistors.

Doesn't Q15 drive the flipper relay? (I'm on my phone, I can't look it up).

#1455 7 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

The right flipper still flips, fwiw.

#1456 7 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Yeah, but hell... that would have been one hell of a relay miswiring. Or even one messed up relay.

A bad diode won't cause the flipper to *stop* activating at all. The flippers are wired before the fuse on the flayfield, so by 'blew the fuse', I'm assuming you mean the one on the rectifier board. Likely the high current fried/melted/burnt the cabinet switch. Check voltage at the flipper coil against a good working ground, and the ground against a good working voltage. Check the fuse on the playfield as well. (I mean, the voltage from the pre-terminal on the fuse, see if the fuse is even getting power.)

#1457 7 years ago

I think this was mentioned before, refresher I guess, sometimes new parts force a poor connection to show elsewhere and can blow fuses. I'm not familiar with the game your dealing with, the fuse that blew if it's before the bridge rectifier replace the connections for the secondary for solenoids as well as the power connectors going to the coils. Pins and connectors. If a higher amp fuse was replaced for the break from the secondary then that could take out other components like the rectifier, doesn't sound like that's the case if the other flipper is working.

IDC connectors were only good for 25 cycles, that was 25 to 35 years ago! some are due for replacement to clean up impossible to understand issues like what you describe.

#1458 7 years ago

Reason number 169 to follow this guide and change the linear flippers back to the "old" style...

Linear flipper rebuild kit - 62$, vs 25$.

Boom!

#1459 7 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

Yeah, but hell... that would have been one hell of a relay miswiring. Or even one messed up relay.

I was not thinking that the relay necessarily blew up anything, just that when people are messing around, they tend to "somehow" kill the driver transistors.

I assumed that both flippers were dead.....

#1460 7 years ago
Quoted from kilmarnock1350:

Reason number 169 to follow this guide and change the linear flippers back to the "old" style...

Has nothing to do with this, a new EOS switch will force poor connectors in need of replacement to surface.

#1461 7 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

I was not thinking that the relay necessarily blew up anything, just that when people are messing around, they tend to "somehow" kill the driver transistors.
I assumed that both flippers were dead.....

Oh, no sweat! I just got a chuckle out of how hacked up the wiring would have to be to have a relay blow a transistor. (I know, crazier things have happened.. especially with operators hacking games just to keep them in-service..!)

#1462 7 years ago

The coil seems fine and appears to be getting power. The underplayfield fuae is working. What should I check next?

#1463 7 years ago

Will upgrading classic Bally flippers affect tap-passing?

#1464 7 years ago
Quoted from Lysurgeon:

The coil seems fine and appears to be getting power. The underplayfield fuae is working. What should I check next?

Cabinet switch.

#1465 7 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

Cabinet switch.

Quoted from Coyote:

Cabinet switch.

How would I go about this?

#1466 7 years ago
Quoted from Lysurgeon:

How would I go about this?

Same way you check every other switch. Check continuity between the two leafs, and then check that IT'S getting voltage (or ground; I can't recall at the moment and I don't have manual in front of me).

#1467 7 years ago
Quoted from Vanapult:

Will upgrading classic Bally flippers affect tap-passing?

The mechs will be different, but it's the same circuit.

It might feel slightly more responsive if you are used to the Bally mush.

#1468 7 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

Same way you check every other switch. Check continuity between the two leafs, and then check that IT'S getting voltage (or ground; I can't recall at the moment and I don't have manual in front of me).

Shit, you mean the cabinet flipper switch! I was thinking you meant the cabinet power switch! Hahaha, I feel like an ass.

#1469 7 years ago

I just picked up a Raven, and I was wondering if the same flipper rebuild basics applied to Gottlieb as well?

#1470 7 years ago

I've got a chattery left flipper on my fire. I rebuilt everything on the flippers about 300 plays ago. Not sure what my issue is here. I gapped the EOS to make sure it wasn't too close at the end of the stroke, but not sure what else to try.

Also, if I press the button and manually hold the flipper up, then slowly let go, the flipper falls until the EOS make contact again then it fires right back up. Is there an issue with the coil in the part that is supposed to hold the flipper up?

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

#1471 7 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Also, if I press the button and manually hold the flipper up, then slowly let go, the flipper falls until the EOS make contact again then it fires right back up. Is there an issue with the coil in the part that is supposed to hold the flipper up?

Yes - this means that the HOLD coil is dead, or a wire from the coil wire is broken. A new coil would fix the problem, or check the small red wires to the terminals and see if one is broken.

#1472 7 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

Yes - this means that the HOLD coil is dead, or a wire from the coil wire is broken. A new coil would fix the problem, or check the small red wires to the terminals and see if one is broken.

That's what I thought. Thanks!

#1473 7 years ago

Sometimes the broken hold coil wire breaks off near enough to the tab to be repaired.

You have to scrape off the red insulation before soldering.

Leave a little slack in the coil wire so it does not break again.

-

Remember to install the solder tabs AWAY from the coil stop = #1 reason the coil wires break.

#1474 7 years ago

OK Vid finally done switching my FG linears out after having a devil of a time. They're snappy alright, but now when now when the flipper is hit in the up position, they get pushed down a bit. Hmm...maybe they always did that, been playing too much GB lately. I'll check out another FG tonight

#1475 7 years ago

I just rebuilt my flippers about 4 months ago, and the other night while in the middle a epic game the 5 amp fuse blew on the flipper board (this is a Williams system 7 laser cue) shut it down and replaced the fuse, turned it on and started a game and it blew as soon as I hit the flippers! Traced it down to the diode on the upper left flipper coil. This is a brand new coil, why or what would cause this to happen? I replaced the diode and everything seems fine now, but I just think it shouldn't have gone out when it's only 4 months old!

#1476 7 years ago

Diodes kick the bucket all the time.

At least it did not take anything else with it.....

#1477 7 years ago

Good to know! I guess the fuse did it's job! This is the first diode I have had blow, but I am fairly new to this hobby! Thanks for the fast reply!

#1478 7 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Hmm...maybe they always did that, been playing too much GB lately. I'll check out another FG tonight

So it is diff'rent...they do get pushed down a bit. And the flipper bat is cranked down tight as hell so its confusing me

#1479 7 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

So it is diff'rent...they do get pushed down a bit. And the flipper bat is cranked down tight as hell so its confusing me

It's the paw. Does it happen when you dead bounce too? I noticed on my EBD linears, that the circle part of the paw that has the Allen screws in it was twisting a tad when force was applied. No way to fix that IMO except to weld it to the rest of the paw better, or get a new paw. I bought a new paw and it was nice and tight there. No slippage. Hopefully that helps narrow down your problem if I understand it correctly.

#1480 7 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

It's the paw. Does it happen when you dead bounce too?

Hmm I don't think so but I'll have to check. I'll crank it down harder and try...it should work fine as I followed vids guide here.

#1481 7 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Hmm I don't think so but I'll have to check. I'll crank it down harder and try...it should work fine as I followed vids guide here.

That's the thing. There is no way that tightening the Allen screws will fix it. I'll try and take a picture to illustrate better.

#1482 7 years ago

There are two metal pieces to the paw. The plate that had the nylon arm that connects with the plunger, and the cylinder that sits on the plate that the flipper bat goes through and has the Allen screws in it to tighten the flipper bat.

What happened on mine was the cylinder was no securely welded to the plate, so it would turn ever so slightly when the flipper was up or down and was struck with the ball. Like I said, I couldn't fix it, just bought a new paw that didn't have a loose cylinder.

Sorry I'm terrible at explaining things sometimes. See if you can turn that cylinder piece at all with your fingers, or better yet, with the playfield up, start a game, hold the flipper up, and push on the flipper with your finger and see what is moving under the playfield to allow that little drop you're experiencing.

image_(resized).pngimage_(resized).png

#1483 7 years ago

Ahh...I appreciate you taking the time Chuck, but I have switched out my linear flippers to the ones Vid describes in this thread.
They didn't move at all when I had Linears in

#1484 7 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Ahh...I appreciate you taking the time Chuck, but I have switched out my linear flippers to the ones Vid describes in this thread.
They didn't move at all when I had Linears in

Haha. Welp I guess I need to learn to read better. Haha.

#1485 7 years ago

You can never put a man down for rushing to help another; thanks!

#1487 7 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Diodes kick the bucket all the time.
At least it did not take anything else with it.....

On a few of the heavily routed games I received the Op had installed double diodes on the flipper coils, I guess to give it some redundancy?

I think other have seen this too... or the route tech was too lazy to remove the diode and just stuck another one on?

I was wondering if this was a practice to "harden" a game for location play?

#1488 7 years ago

I usually snip the dead ones off, but lazy ops might leave them in place.

I guess someone could try putting two smaller ones side by side to stiffen them up...but it kinda doubles your chance that a shorted one occurs.

#1489 7 years ago

I see after reading some threads that a poor hold can also come from the coil stops...since they were both reaplced it's a possibility

#1490 7 years ago

It's actually sort-of surprising that diodes do fail open as often as they do, but.... yes, they do, and even on low-stress circuits (like on the switch matrix.)

#1491 7 years ago

What does it mean when a flipper suddenly stops working and measures 310 ohms across the outer lugs? (Bally SS)

#1492 7 years ago

Quick question, on a stern SAM machine what causes a flipper to be easily " knocked down " by another ball from its raised position? I've seen it on Iron Man when an obviously very fast ball from war machine hits the right flipper down, and on my newly aquired Xmen. Eos gap looks fine. Both machines do not have weak flippers, but they can be knocked down. The upper flipper on Xmen can be knocked down ( not that you would be cradling there ) and that doesn't even have an EOS so how does that work?

#1493 7 years ago

Could be time for a new plunger and coil stop.

#1494 7 years ago

Thanks so much for this and specifically the awesome pics. I am psyched to rebuild my first set of flippers!

#1495 7 years ago

Hello Vid1900 - I have a original Black Knight and the flippers are weak. I just cleaned the coil selves and installed new eos switches and the power still seems weak. I checked the gap on the switch and I believe I have it adjusted correctly but still weak flippers. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

#1496 7 years ago

BTW it is entirely possible (the mechs fit) to retrofit the Williams plates on an Apollo 13 (using the Sega coils) and it makes a VERY material difference in playability. I recommend this -- highly.

#1497 7 years ago
Quoted from pacman11:

Hello Vid1900 - I have a original Black Knight and the flippers are weak. I just cleaned the coil selves and installed new eos switches and the power still seems weak. I checked the gap on the switch and I believe I have it adjusted correctly but still weak flippers. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Jumper the EOS switch closed with an alligator clip.

Press the flipper button (don't hold it).

If the flipper kicks like a mule, the switch is not adjusted properly.

#1498 7 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Could be time for a new plunger and coil stop.

Can you explain further please? How would that affect the hold strength?

#1499 7 years ago
Quoted from Kevlar:

Can you explain further please? How would that affect the hold strength?

Sometimes a owner will replace just the plunger, or just the coil stop.

The old plunger and coil stop wore together as a team over the years, so the two parts mated together nicely.

A new plunger with it's square, flat bottom, will often not mate up with an old worn coil stop (or vice versa); so the two pieces only touch in a small area. This makes for a weak hold.

You can also see this effect when the incorrect coil stop is used and the plunger link bottoms out against the coil sleeve, instead of the coil stop. The plunger is fully plunged (over-plunged really), yet the hold is weak.

I see the above all the time, when some hack did "whatever it takes to keep the game earning".....

#1500 7 years ago

Good explanation vid, thanks.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1,159.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 41.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

12,500 (OBO)
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

14,000 (OBO)
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 85.00
$ 1,419.00
12,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Wilmington, DE
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

€ 160.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 959.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 29.00
$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
2step’s shop

$ 135.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 1,319.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PFX Pinball Mods

$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

11,250 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Trumansburg, NY
There are 2,887 posts in this topic. You are on page 30 of 58.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-to-upgradingrebuilding-flippers/page/30?hl=chuck_d_head and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.