IMG_1719 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1726 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9736 (resized).jpeg
70881237416__8D01E86C-86A6-4FC5-BC46-EA5EA935BDA3 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0007 2 (resized).JPG
IMG_0005 2 (resized).JPG
IMG_0006 2 (resized).JPG

Topic index (key posts)

15 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 2,887 posts in this topic. You are on page 21 of 58.
#1001 8 years ago
Quoted from xsvtoys:

Are the 2 white rings hooked into each other just above the punchout pins the nylon insulators that go on that stud?

No, those go on the plunger.

#1002 8 years ago

Venturing rebuilding my Surf Champ, first Goetlieb EM rebuild BUT I hammered the pin out of the old assembly, and trying to rebuild it with the new plunger but I cannot for the life of me hammer the pin back in...? Is there some kind of technic? Can I use grease or oil to make this easier?

432576.jpg432576.jpg

#1003 8 years ago

Vid, getting ready for my second rebuild (Johnny mnemonic). I saw a thread debating the quality of different flipper parts suppliers. On my recent WH20 rebuild, the threaded shaft of the pawl snapped when I was tightening the bat down. May have just been a fluke, but-

My question: who do recommend for parts on WPC rebuilds? Specifically, does someone like PBR produce a better quality? I don't mind paying a little more if there is any difference.

Thanks for the help.

#1004 8 years ago
Quoted from hisokajp:

Venturing rebuilding my Surf Champ, first Goetlieb EM rebuild BUT I hammered the pin out of the old assembly, and trying to rebuild it with the new plunger but I cannot for the life of me hammer the pin back in...? Is there some kind of technic? Can I use grease or oil to make this easier?

No grease or oil.

Take a pair of needle nose Vise-Grips and squeeze the leading edge gap in the pin together.

Don't grip it too hard, just enough to close the gap.

Now tap it in about 1/8", and remove the Vise-Grips. Tap it the rest of the way.

#1005 8 years ago
Quoted from Elicash:

Vid, getting ready for my second rebuild (Johnny Mnemonic). I saw a thread debating the quality of different flipper parts suppliers. On my recent WH20 rebuild, the threaded shaft of the pawl snapped when I was tightening the bat down. May have just been a fluke, but-
My question: who do recommend for parts on WPC rebuilds? Specifically, does someone like PBR produce a better quality? I don't mind paying a little more if there is any difference.
Thanks for the help.

PBR is probably the best, PBL is good too.

#1006 8 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Get the schematic out and check each wire in relation to the coil tabs and diodes.
Try jumpering across the EOS switch and see if the flipper can then make the ramp lock.

I tried a couple things today on the machine. Jumpered the EOS switch: No better result. Tested the lugs: all six measuring 24.5 vdc. Had a tiny bit of play up and down on the flipper bat shaft--good. Had a bit of play with the coil in frame--not good.
I used the extra washer springs to push the coil more toward the coil stop.

Also noticed I tried to raise the flipper up a little on the playfield. So I lowered it to just below (1mm) straight along the in-lane line, and I can get the ball up the ramp. It's tough, but was able to do it consistently.

1 week later
#1007 8 years ago

All right guys. Having a little issue after my rebuild and I need some help because I cant figure out what is causing this.

When I fire the flipper, it occasionally "sticks" a little as it returns to the rested position. It doesn't seem to do it with the power off when I lift the flipper manually with my finger. I rebuilt whole thing with all new parts (including new coil). Also tightened the pawl assembly with the little gap tool on top of playfield b/w the flipper bat.. Almost seems like the coil is staying slightly magnetized? Or could it be the pawl assembly? At first I thought I didn't tighten down the flipper bat enough, but I have confirmed that is not the issue, very tight.

Here is a video of the issue. Sorry, I filmed it upside down, but you will still see the issue:

Thanks for any help.

#1008 8 years ago

You could have a little piece of crud in the bushing or the coil sleeve.

Take the coil stop off and blow out the sleeve and wipe off the plunger.

#1009 8 years ago

What is on the plunger? It looks black.

#1010 8 years ago

I will remove coil stop and try to clean out and report back.

Quoted from joe2012:

What is on the plunger? It looks black.

No, just shadows and reflections off the metal.

#1011 8 years ago

I don't know how Vid feels about this, but maybe the spring does not have enough tension? You could shorten the length of the spring, and that would increase spring tension to pull the flipper down fully.
It could also be an alignment issue; if the assembly bracket has a little twist in it, I would recommend looking at that first. Make sure the coil is alligned properly.

#1012 8 years ago

Looking at marco's kit for my Fire!. the EOS switches look to be standard and don't have the extra arm stabilizing the one leaf. Can anyone confirm that these EOS switches do or do not have the extra arm?

#1013 8 years ago

Hey guys, thanks for the help on the gummed up flipper issue a couple posts up. I removed coil stop, sleeve, and coil. I blew inside coil. I replaced coil sleeve (even though the other one was about 2 weeks old). I also really polished up the plunger. the combination of these things did the trick. so I still don't know why, but I think Vid was right, may have been getting crudded up somewhere.

Thanks for the help as always.

#1014 8 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Looking at marco's kit for my Fire!. the EOS switches look to be standard and don't have the extra arm stabilizing the one leaf. Can anyone confirm that these EOS switches do or do not have the extra arm?

1/2 the time they give you the sucky EOS switches that don't have the extra spring leaf.

Just replace with a good switch.

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=262

pbl_03-7811.jpgpbl_03-7811.jpg

#1015 8 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

1/2 the time they give you the sucky EOS switches that don't have the extra spring leaf.
Just replace with a good switch.

Cool. Thanks. I'll get those as well.

#1016 8 years ago

I finally got around to doing a flipper rebuild. It has been a good learning experience so far, but I can't say its been fun. I'm sure most of it is because its my first time, but I have had to deal with a variety of confusing issues. But after reviewing this thread again, I think I have everything sorted out. Everything is on hold until I can make a run to get a screw, so it is a good time to post my progress and make sure I have it right. The old switch assembly had 2 different sized screws, and one won't work on the new switch. Despite having 400 different screws in my pile I don't have the right size.

This is a rebuild of the hacked up left flipper on my Bally Bon Vorage, as I showed in post 998.

There is a limit on the number of pics I can upload so I am redoing this and will leave out the obvious stuff.

Labeled the wires. This went fine.

Unsoldered the wires and took everything apart. The soldering was a mess as someone felt the need to wrap the wires around the posts and make a giant blob on all of the terminals. This went fine.

I got those cleaned up. This went fine.

Cleaned up the parts to be reused. This went fine.

Had to deal with that sheared off screw in the bracket. Was able to grab on the threads on the back with some wire nips and unthread it out.

The PBR rebuild kit I got is the KT-BFLIP-01. All the pieces in the kit:

KT-BFLIP-01-Flipper-Rebuild-Kit-2.jpgKT-BFLIP-01-Flipper-Rebuild-Kit-2.jpg

All that went OK, then it was time to reassemble. This got confusing because my parts don't look much like the ones in the guide. There are no diodes on mine anywhere. Plus there is all this talk of the coil being "backwards". I double-checked the other flipper assembly and it definitely looks the opposite of what Vid says it should be. Also, it clearly matches the picture in the Bally parts catalog.

Bally-parts-catalog-drawing.jpgBally-parts-catalog-drawing.jpg

I tried some different ways to assemble it. This is the way it is shown in the manual and how it was on the machine.

explosion-per-manaul.jpgexplosion-per-manaul.jpg

This is the way it should go according to what I have read in the guide.

explosion-per-vid.jpgexplosion-per-vid.jpg

Having that spring washer in that position, as described in a post a few pages back, didn't seem to fit too well. This seemed to work a lot better.

explosion-per-vid-modified.jpgexplosion-per-vid-modified.jpg

This is the final assembly. With that spring washer in there and the brackets squeezed tight, the coil is pretty snug. It can still move a little bit, but it is far tighter than it was when I took it out. It was pretty loose before. The new switch is shown here, waiting for the second screw I need to go out and buy.

assembly-per-vid-modified.jpgassembly-per-vid-modified.jpg

So my main question is, does my final assembly look good? It still seems strange to do it opposite what is shown in the manual, but one thing I have learned is not to mess with Vid, so I take his word this is the better way to go.

vid.jpgvid.jpg

You have to have seen one of the greatest movies ever made to get this last pic

#1017 8 years ago
Quoted from xsvtoys:

You have to have seen one of the greatest movies ever made to get this last pic

That's Richard Kiel and it's actually a Space Invaders pin, isn't it? The name of the movie eludes me though.

Edit: movie was "So Fine".....definitely NOT one of the greatest movies ever made.

#1018 8 years ago
Quoted from jibmums:

That's Richard Kiel and it's actually a Space Invaders pin, isn't it? The name of the movie eludes me though.

No to both counts. It has something to do with Vid.

#1019 8 years ago
Quoted from xsvtoys:

No to both counts. It has something to do with Vid.

Boy....I see you've been spying on me while I load up the hearse......

#1020 8 years ago
Quoted from xsvtoys:

Having that spring washer in that position, as described in a post a few pages back, didn't seem to fit too well. This seemed to work a lot better.

I'd assemble in this order: coil stop, then the sleeve (the end of the sleeve with the bend), then the coil ( end without the solder tabs), then the wavy washer, then the coil bracket.

You want the sleeve to protrude through the coil bracket, so the spring does not scar up the plunger by getting trapped between the plunger and bracket.

#1021 8 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Boy....I see you've been spying on me while I load up the hearse......

Another hint....the movie has a pinball in it too. But you don't want to mess with that ball

bad_pinball.jpgbad_pinball.jpg

#1022 8 years ago
Quoted from xsvtoys:

Another hint....the movie has a pinball in it too. But you don't want to mess with that ball
bad_pinball.jpg

Oh crap I know the movie but I just can't think of the name.

#1023 8 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Oh crap I know the movie but I just can't think of the name.

Phantasm.

Saw it 437 times.

First job was theater projectionist.

#1024 8 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

I'd assemble in this order: coil stop, then the sleeve (the end of the sleeve with the bend), then the coil ( end without the solder tabs), then the wavy washer, then the coil bracket.
You want the sleeve to protrude through the coil bracket, so the spring does not scar up the plunger by getting trapped between the plunger and bracket.

OK, I think this is right....

flipper assy vid.jpgflipper assy vid.jpg

#1025 8 years ago
Quoted from balzofsteel:

Phantasm.
Saw it 437 times.
First job was theater projectionist.

THAT'S IT.

#1026 8 years ago

Hey Vid, pardon me if you already covered this previously in this thread but, I just installed all new flipper parts on my WCS, also new coils, everything from the roota to the toota. I still am not gettiing that snap I feel I should get from new flipper parts and coils. I also used the little gap tool when tightening down the flipper bats to the pawl and feel I got the gap between the flipper bushing and the flipper bat pretty damn perfect. Was I supposed to tighten the flipper piston and link to the pawl also? Thanks.

#1027 8 years ago
Quoted from RampShot11:

I just installed all new flipper parts on my WCS, also new coils, everything from the roota to the toota. I still am not gettiing that snap I feel I should get from new flipper parts and coils.

What are you comparing the "snap" to?

When you manually move the flippers through their range of motion, are they smooth and not binding against anything?

When you manually lift up on the flippers, is there about a credit card's thickness of play?

Quoted from RampShot11:

Was I supposed to tighten the flipper piston and link to the pawl also?

No, that should be loose

#1028 8 years ago

I mean that do not have the power or "snap" I would expect from all brand new flipper parts. When I manually move them they feel perfect, also I used the gap tool when I tightened down the flipper bats so the gap seems good. I'm not sure what else to check.

#1029 8 years ago
Quoted from RampShot11:

I mean that do not have the power or "snap" I would expect from all brand new flipper parts. When I manually move them they feel perfect, also I used the gap tool when I tightened down the flipper bats so the gap seems good. I'm not sure what else to check.

Make sure the wiring is correct. Despite the fact that I labeled everything and was as careful as I could be, I got confused when I reversed the coil and got the wiring wrong, and had the same symptom. Once I figured that our and rewired it, I had "snap". With Vid's help above I got both flippers rebuilt, and they are plenty strong and snappy.

#1030 8 years ago

Thanks xsvtoys. I'll doublecheck the wiring in the manual when I get home.

#1031 8 years ago

Quick question: Is the proper flipper EOS gap on Em's the same as on SS machines? 1/8" Or what is the recommended gap for Em's?

Jack

#1032 8 years ago

1/8" EOS gap is great for most EMs.

#1033 8 years ago

Does anyone have a pic of how the wiring goes to the flipper coils on WCS ? I can't find a clear pic anywhere and the manual does not have any diagram of the wiring to the flipper coils. This is what I have right now. Pretty sure the right flipper is the top picture.

image.jpgimage.jpg

image_1.jpgimage_1.jpg

#1034 8 years ago
Quoted from RampShot11:

When I manually move them they feel perfect, also I used the gap tool when I tightened down the flipper bats so the gap seems good. I'm not sure what else to check.

Check that you have proper voltage at the coils.

Like xsvtoys says, check your wiring.

#1035 8 years ago
Quoted from RampShot11:

Does anyone have a pic of how the wiring goes to the flipper coils on WCS ? I can't find a clear pic anywhere and the manual does not have any diagram of the wiring to the flipper coils.

WCS-flippers.jpgWCS-flippers.jpg

#1036 8 years ago

Thanks Vid. Should the power wire be on the banded side of the diode or middle lug or unbanded side of the diodes?

#1037 8 years ago
Quoted from RampShot11:

Thanks Vid. Should the power wire be on the banded side of the diode or middle lug or unbanded side of the diodes?

wcs flippers.jpgwcs flippers.jpg

#1038 8 years ago

Can't see the diodes in the top pic but they both appear to be wired properly at first glance

#1039 8 years ago

Thanks to all that helped! Much appreciated. I think maybe I'll adjust the gap on the flipper bats and see if that helps. The flippers aren't bad but they are missing just a little bit of power. Last time I did a flipper rebuild was on my Judge Dredd and when they were done, the power was unreal. I felt like I could have smashed the drop targets in front of the subway. Anyway, I must have something slightly off.

#1040 8 years ago

Hey Vid, could you step me how to test the voltage at the flipper coils? I tried with my multi meter but I am getting wierd readings and am not sure if I have it set right. Should I be pressing the flipper button once the meter is clipped onto the lugs? Thanks in advance. Here's a pic of my meter and the test clips I rigged up for it.

image.jpgimage.jpg

#1041 8 years ago
Quoted from RampShot11:

Hey Vid, could you step me how to test the voltage at the flipper coils? I tried with my multi meter but I am getting wierd readings and am not sure if I have it set right. Should I be pressing the flipper button once the meter is clipped onto the lugs? Thanks in advance. Here's a pic of my meter and the test clips I rigged up for it.

image.jpg

If you look at the scematics, the Red wires (Red-Blu and Red-Gry) carry voltage. Test between those wires and ground.

2 weeks later
#1042 8 years ago

I started a new thread with my flipper rebuild issues. Could someone take a look and help me out?

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/flipper-rebuild-nightmare#post-2649049

#1043 8 years ago

OK I've rebuilt my share of flippers but this one is new to me.Look closely at the EOS switch.

Misc_062.jpgMisc_062.jpg

#1044 8 years ago

I have a 1976 Williams Space Odyssey with no gang switch. Is this normal? Game seems to function ok right now.

image.jpgimage.jpg

#1045 8 years ago
Quoted from Skypilot:

OK I've rebuilt my share of flippers but this one is new to me.Look closely at the EOS switch.

That's funny.

#1046 8 years ago
Quoted from Hi-Fi:

I have a 1976 Williams Space Odyssey with no gang switch. Is this normal?

AFAICT it looks normal.

#1047 8 years ago

Ok Vid, here we go. Need advice on rebuilding or replacing my sharpshooter flippers. The left flipper burnt up and the right one is on it's last leg. I know coils are available but I don't know think th coil stops are. I read somewhere WPC flippers might work. Thoughts? These are 24vcoils 20150907_174654.jpg20150907_174654.jpg
This is the one that actually works, there is no diode on this one but there is on the other one.20150907_174807.jpg20150907_174807.jpg mushroomed coil stop, the other side is the same.20150907_174833.jpg20150907_174833.jpg plunger is mushroomed as well.

#1048 8 years ago
Quoted from slgerber:

Ok Vid, here we go. Need advice on rebuilding or replacing my sharpshooter flippers. The left flipper burnt up and the right one is on it's last leg. I know coils are available but I don't know think th coil stops are.

First, I'd call PBR and see what parts are actually still available:

http://pbresource.com/

If no parts are around, you could install a complete Classic Stern flipper mech and just put in the proper coil. This would look the most stock :

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=2411

Or if you don't care about how "stock" it looks, you could do a WPC flipper mech :

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-to-upgradingrebuilding-flippers/page/3#post-773606

#1049 8 years ago

So, I replaced the flipper switch in this Getaway. I'm fine for a week. Now, the left flipper frequently sticks in the up position. I finally found the culprit (as I've had this issue on other games) -- the little crank arm is getting stuck on the the switch when the flipper is up all the way.

So I *thought* I had solved it by putting a little black rubber "bootie" on the crank (save the old ones !)... nope.

I'm wondering what's going on here. Is the switch too short?

How does this work for 100+ plays and then not now... (I had no black "bootie" on there for those 100 plays)

-mof

201509-stuck-getaway-flipper1.jpg201509-stuck-getaway-flipper1.jpg

#1050 8 years ago

What happens of i put the coil sleeve in backwards?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 78.50
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 959.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

11,250 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Trumansburg, NY
$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 53.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 70.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

Wanted
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Westjordan, UT
$ 41.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 1,319.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Las Vegas, NV
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 2,887 posts in this topic. You are on page 21 of 58.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-to-upgradingrebuilding-flippers/page/21 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.