Pinside_forum_1762038_386370 (resized).jpg
IMG_3141 (resized).JPG
PXL_20240304_203555066 (resized).jpg
20240301_160448 (resized).jpg
20240301_131123 (resized).jpg
IMG_2646 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3299 (resized).jpeg
20240129_160756 (resized).jpg
Screenshot 2024-01-25 at 17-10-29 Ainfox Patio Greenhouse Walk-in Green House Portable Plastic Mini Greenhouse Gardening Plant H
IMG_20200813_200658~2.jpg
Screenshot_20240122-092750_Gallery (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20240122-092554_Gallery (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20240122-092622_Gallery (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20240120-185930_Gallery (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

143 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #7 Playfield damage assessment. Posted by vid1900 (11 years ago)

Post #8 Insert damage assessment. Posted by vid1900 (11 years ago)

Post #34 How to sand your new inserts flat. Posted by vid1900 (11 years ago)

Post #35 Cleaning old glue out of the insert holes. Posted by vid1900 (11 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rgaires.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#5900 5 years ago

I need some of your opinions, i have a whirlwind that im restoring, had mylar on it, was not bad maybe just one or two inserts bublled, and i had the bad decision to remove the mylar, i dont lose any of the paint, "just" inserts... Also ive check for my experience that freeze method works best for inserts than hairdryer... but ok, lets move on

1 - I have order some insert decals, that im going to scan and do some waterslide decals, my problem is that i dont have color laser printer, and some inserts have color on it... white also...
Question: any way to resolve that?

2 - After waterslide decals i dont have the tools to clearcoat with 2k.. small apartment
Options
* I have a small airbrush, i can clear locally and put a playfield protector.
* Use some substitute to clear 2k, non toxic option, and apply it, then protect with a good wax or a playfield protector
* waterslide decals, wax, playfield protector

3 - Goo gone to remove the mylar glue?

#5902 5 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Go to your local real hobby shop (not Hobby Locust) and have them print the decals for you. They can print white on their Alps printers.
If you wife has a Cricut, she can cut you masks that would let you do your white layer with an airbrush, then top with a decal.

So find someone who does.
Look on your local auto parts store bulletin board - there are a dozen backyard auto painters in every city.
No sense spending all those hours touching up a playfield, then put a crappy Poly or Waterbased topcoat that won't polish out like 2K, dull all your colors, and then will turn yellow (non-yellowing formula means it will certainly turn yellow).
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-to-ultimate-playfield-restoration/page/16#post-1667109

Alcohol and baking flour works great, and won't remove paint.
Here is one I did a few weeks ago with a full playfield Mylar:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-hardtop-restoration-comet#post-4468664

1 - The masks are really really small... is almost impossible to do it i guess, maybe is the best way to search for local REAL hobby shop...

2 - I agree that the 2k option is the best, but i dont want to remove all the element on the playfield, maybe the best option is waterslide inserts and a playfield protector, if someone on the future wants to clearcoat is easy..

3 - Ive done the trick with baking flour and alcohol and take ages to remove it, this time maybe i´ll try goo gone.

#5904 5 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:There are tons of people on this forum who have used the Cricut & Cameo to cut tiny stencils.
They cut much smaller detail than a normal vinyl cutter

Yep, keep your local business in business.

It takes less than 20 minutes to completely strip a playfield top.

You could do that; they are around $100 and offer full protection for all the wear areas:
https://www.playfield-protectors.com/Home/Details/NiJmk4oYAEerDYBdGXrbWA?categoryid=22&category=-&name=Whirlwind%20%7C%201990

It all depends on if the Mylar is factory, aftermarket, or not even Mylar and just some mystery polyester film.
That Comet I did a few weeks ago was factory 1985 and it took less than a half hour to completely clean.
Your mileage will vary, lol

I also have a cameo... well i can try make something on the decals that have some color on it, paint the market area and place the black decal over it... is an option yes...

20 minutes? no way you can do that on all the machines, but i get your point for sure.. is not about time, but how you want things done..

Maybe i go that route, waterslide decals, a small local clear to fix them in place and a playfield protector...

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
5,100 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Louisville, KY
$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply
Decals
$ 69.00
Electronics
Pinball Haus
Electronics
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 10.00
Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Navarre, FL
$ 109.95
Electronics
PinSound
Electronics
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Eproms
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
Electronics
$ 27.50
Boards
Pinball Haus
Boards
$ 30.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
Electronics
$ 45.00
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits
Boards
3,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Walnut Creek, CA
$ 8.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
Electronics
Displays
Retrocity
Displays
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 179.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp
Other
$ 10.00
Lighting
Yoppsicle
Lighting
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball
Cabinet parts
$ 199.95
Electronics
PinSound
Electronics
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rgaires.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-to-ultimate-playfield-restoration?tu=rgaires and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.