Pinside_forum_1762038_386370 (resized).jpg
IMG_3141 (resized).JPG
PXL_20240304_203555066 (resized).jpg
20240301_160448 (resized).jpg
20240301_131123 (resized).jpg
IMG_2646 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3299 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

143 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #7 Playfield damage assessment. Posted by vid1900 (11 years ago)

Post #8 Insert damage assessment. Posted by vid1900 (11 years ago)

Post #34 How to sand your new inserts flat. Posted by vid1900 (11 years ago)

Post #35 Cleaning old glue out of the insert holes. Posted by vid1900 (11 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinheadpierre.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1715 9 years ago

Has anyone tried this HVLP system?
http://m.harborfreight.com/high-volume-low-pressure-spray-gun-kit-44677.html
I already have two small compressors and really don't want to get a third, larger one just for spaying clear.

1 year later
#3716 7 years ago

Okay - I have read through this thread at least a couple times but still find myself wanting advice on which direction to take with a Comet project I just embarked on. The playfield is worn in areas where it was not protected by mylar. The mylar is lifting around the inserts and also at an edge above a sling as well as a lot around one pop bumper. The whole thing is also crazed - little zig zag cracks in the clear that I fear go all the way through the paint.

I am proficient at touch-up work and have successfully spayed a prior project with automotive clearcoat.

Clearly the mylar lifting around the pop needs to come all the way off.

My main questions concern the rest of the mylar as I understand that system 9 can be prone to paint loss upon removal, and then the crazing. I keep asking myself WWVD? (What would Vid do?) Of course, the opinions of others are appreciated and welcome as always.

20161113_163428 (resized).jpg20161113_163428 (resized).jpg

20161113_163449 (resized).jpg20161113_163449 (resized).jpg

20161113_163513 (resized).jpg20161113_163513 (resized).jpg

20161113_163525 (resized).jpg20161113_163525 (resized).jpg

20161113_163542 (resized).jpg20161113_163542 (resized).jpg

#3721 7 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Try heat to remove that Mylar, but scan the whole playfield first, because I would expect some paint loss

Thank you, Vid!

I have removed mylar via freezing it with an upside down can of air. Is the heat method better in some way?

#3724 7 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Often freezing removes paint from older, poor condition playfields.
I have had much better luck with heat.
On newer playfields from the 90s onward, freeze works better.

Thank you, sir!

2 months later
#3923 7 years ago
Quoted from BJM-Maxx:

Only if the glass will be touching the thing your scanning. The scanner has a tiny focal length. Pull the object away from the glass and the image becomes very fuzzy quickly.

I just verified this myself. That tiny gap is enough to throw the focus off. I then proceeded to ruin the scanner by attempting to mod it to lie flat on the glass. The good part about engaging in such folly is that it makes the current high price of the hp scanners much easier to swallow.

2 months later
#4212 7 years ago
Quoted from matthess:

Has anyone tried this for shooting clear? I wonder how well it would work? http://www.harborfreight.com/high-volume-low-pressure-spray-gun-kit-44677.html

It works fine. I have a similar unit to shoot clear with because I didn't have any other use for a large compressor and didn't want to dedicate that much for space in my small work area for a compressor. Mine didn't come from hf though. Can't remember where I got it.

2 weeks later
#4242 6 years ago

Hey Vid - what the heck do you think happened here? My white fields look totally wrinkled. This is createx opaque white under 2pac. What should I do to fix it? Sand flat and try again? Was the white too thick or did the surface not have enough tooth for it to bond properly? I am flummoxed and want to avoid repeating my mistake.

20170426_163959 (resized).jpg20170426_163959 (resized).jpg

#4246 6 years ago
Quoted from pinheadpierre:

Hey Vid - what the heck do you think happened here? My white fields look totally wrinkled. This is createx opaque white under 2pac. What should I do to fix it? Sand flat and try again? Was the white too thick or did the surface not have enough tooth for it to bond properly? I am flummoxed and want to avoid repeating my mistake.

Or could it be that I got too heavy too fast with the clear? The mist coat looked so rough that I kept spraying until it smoothed out for fear that I would end up with a sixty grit sandpaper texture to the clear.

#4249 6 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Must not have been enough tooth, or the paint was not fully dry.
Did it only happen in this spot, or all over the playfield?

It happened everywhere where there was fresh, unsealed white paint. Very small repairs in black and purple were not affected. I had sanded the entire playfield with 600 grit prior to painting. I heat set all of the paint with a hairdryer on high 20 minutes after application and applied the clear two days later. According to my infrared temp gun, my hairdryer method gets the paint to about 115-120F. I hold that temperature for about a minute in each area.

Here are more examples:

20170427_095056 (resized).jpg20170427_095056 (resized).jpg

20170427_093748 (resized).jpg20170427_093748 (resized).jpg

20170427_093703 (resized).jpg20170427_093703 (resized).jpg

#4251 6 years ago

Kinda sorta in little chunks. Interestingly, just realized that the THICK red (way thicker than the white) in the shooter lane was not affected.

20170427_103409 (resized).jpg20170427_103409 (resized).jpg

20170427_100633 (resized).jpg20170427_100633 (resized).jpg

#4253 6 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Just throw out that white.
It might be old or someone stole half of it and cut it with water....

I was beginning to think the same thing myself. No problems until I got this 16oz bottle of white from Amazon. I am suspicious that it might be a fake or something along the lines of what you suggested.

#4256 6 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Was it sold BY Amazon, or some other seller?

Good question. Looking back through my orders, one of my createx orders was fulfilled by amazon (a starter set of opaque). The others were fulfilled by Hyatt's All Things Creative.

I am ordering my createx paint from dickblick.com from now on as they have decent prices and are listed on the createx site as a distributer. I have always gotten genuine top notch stuff from blick in the past for other art supplies.

I am thinking that I will brush out a sample of all of my current stock of createx onto a sealed wood panel, heat cure it and hit it with some clear to see what happens color by color. The white is definitely going in to the trash. Now that I am suspicious, I cannot use my current stock without worry but do not want to toss so much paint out.

#4258 6 years ago
Quoted from Sheprd:

What brand/type of 2PAC did you use? It seems to have been quite "hot" to attack Createx like that.

Evercoat 2740 with 2844 medium activator. Initially I thought my application of the clear was to blame (my technique is certainly in need of improvement) or perhaps the clear itself (maybe too hot as you suggested) but the fact that the red, purples and blacks were not affected makes me suspect something is amiss with the particular jar of white I used.

1 week later
#4309 6 years ago

Besides practice, is there a way to guage when enough clear has gone on for a lock coat? It seems like laying down too little increases orange peel but spraying more can rather quickly become too much.

#4323 6 years ago
Quoted from No_Skill:

Any pro tips on color matching red? The stock Createx opaque red is too dark. I've tried adding various combos of white and yellow with no luck. I just can't get it vibrant enough.

Red is a primary color. Adding white will only shift it towards pink. Adding yellow will only sift it towards orange, etc. There are a number of natural and man-made red pigments. The createx opaque palette is fairly limited and has only one red. If I were you I would get some of the 5408 florescent red and see if you can get the red you need with it alone or by mixing it with the opaque red. If you still can't mix it you might need to branch out into the numerous transparent reds in the line.

1 month later
#4502 6 years ago
Quoted from Plumonium:

It happened rather quickly I would say, by the time I went for my second coat (12-15 min flash time) it was there.
Is it possible that clear sipped underneath the paint and lifted/cracked it. Like if too thick of paint absorbed some clear and wrinkled?
Like if the clear melted the paint and then shrunk it. I don't know really.
Just trying real hard to avoid that again.

Was there any acrylic lacquer used in between coats? Acrylic lacquer can adversely affect white in exactly this way (only some brands - createx being one of them) as well as any mixes tinted with white.

#4504 6 years ago
Quoted from Plumonium:

Yes there was. I sealed my touch-ups using it in-between coats.
I was suggested to use it.

Dollars to donuts that's your issue. You'll probably need to sand down the wrinkled white, seal it with 2pac, repaint the white and clear again.

#4506 6 years ago
Quoted from Plumonium:

That is exactly what I'm doing now. Except I'm redoing light gray and probably blue/green/orange near the top of the chest as well...
Lessons learned. The hard way. Practice makes perfect... and feed-up.

Good move. Actually I should have said to sand down anything that had previously reacted - likely everything that had any white mixed into it.

1 week later
#4521 6 years ago
Quoted from packie1:

I have also switched to Golden High Flow Arcylic Paints. I have had more luck with them.
Just my 2 cents.

Do you need to thin that paint to airbrush it? If so, what do you use and in what proportion?

2 months later
#4746 6 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

The wood may have shrank over the years, or the replacement inserts are a different brand/mold.
It would be easier to make the wood holes larger than the inserts smaller, so enlarge the holes.
If you have a ton of insert holes to do, make a plastic template and use a trim router with a Template Bit to quickly clean them up.

THIS! I can speak from experience they it is a PITA to accurately reduce the size of an insert. I did it once and although I succeeded, will never do it again - especially now that Vid has pointed out the obvious better route. I wrapped a wood block with sandpaper and clamped it to the work bench. I then sanded the insert by rotating it against the block, doing my best to apply consistent pressure and stopping every 360 degrees. Never again!

2 weeks later
#4818 6 years ago
Quoted from Plumonium:

For you guys using the HP4600 scanner, does it run on windows 7 (drivers)?

Yup. Works fine.

1 week later
#4861 6 years ago

Don't bother with the Sharpie. It will eventually fade/discolor horribly whether it reacts with the clear or not. They use a fugitive colorant. At best it will end up a puky brownish color down the road. Stick with products that use actual lightfast pigments.

2 weeks later
#4924 6 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Do all your shooterlane resto, and black keyline fixing, and magic eraser stuff, then lock it down.
There can of course exceptions to the above, but just remember not to lock in dirt....

Hey Vid - I understand doing the shooter lane sanding and magic eraser work (which is essentially a form of sanding) prior to shooting a lockdown coat but I don't get the keyline prior to lockdown part. It would be risky to use vinyl stencils on a playfield that has not been locked down and freehand keylines are never going to be as good as stencils. Could you explain your thinking on this? I don't understand.

1 week later
#4978 6 years ago

Is there an online source for lacquer for folks like myself who live in laquer free parts of the world?

#5003 6 years ago
Quoted from DropTarget:

The value of the machine doesn't justify the cost of a professional restore.

Why not find an inexpensive project machine (or two) to cut your teeth on and then tackle this one? Having now done two restorations I can attest that you will make MANY mistakes. Starting off by using Varathane would mistake number one in a series of unfortunate events. If you don't want to obtain a different machine to practice on at least paint yourself some scrap plywood and learn how to shoot 2pac on it so you can at least start off on the right foot. Don't try to modify the steps in this guide while attempting to restore something that you care about. You will be happier and have better results practicing on other stuff before messing with a keeper.

#5014 6 years ago

I feel like the "opaque" createx paints are just somewhat more opaque than colors that they do not label as such. All of their yellows are transparent whether or not they label them as opaque. Always lay down a bit of white under yellow. Tinting (adding white to) any color will increase its opacity. Fortunately, lots of playfield colors are mixed tints.

1 week later
#5112 6 years ago

After a playfield swap and two restorations (with two more waiting to be done) I have redirected to build a black pipe rotisserie. Do you spray clear with a playfield on the rotisserie? If so, what about the areas covered by the clamps at the top and bottom edges?

#5117 6 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Take the clamps off if you spray on the rotisserie.
Gravity will keep it in place.

Oh duh - gravity. It really does work well on most things (except Sir Issac's hair)!

3 weeks later
#5250 6 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

if you just clearcoated a playfield. Do not wax for 90 days, as it doesn't let the clear breathe . Probably shouldn't put mylar down on freshly done fields for 90 days either. Least that's what i tell my customers.

Wow - that's a long time! Body shops have usually told me to wait 30 days for wax on auto body repairs. Is what we are doing here different or are you must being abundantly cautious?

#5252 6 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

i was always told 90 days by restorers that have been doing this even longer than me, so that's kind of what i've always passed on to my customers. Personally, I don't wax and you really don't need to in a home environment. The ball gets so much spin and does weird shit when freshly waxed. If it's clearcoated, you will never burn through that clear anyway. SO why chime up those star posts.

No wax - interesting. Fresh wax does play weird sometimes. It's also true that it takes care to avoid gunking up the star posts (and no matter how careful I am it seems like wax eventually winds up on a post or two). I've heard rumors that some people don't wax but I kinda thought they were mythical creatures. I think I would always have a paranoid voice in the back of my mind mumbling playfield doomsday type stuff if I didn't wax.

So how long do you wait to repopulate and play? I've been waiting 30 days.

#5254 6 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

i've populated and played in 72 hours after buffing. My alien poker still looks and plays like new. I waited maybe 50-72 hours before the first ball hit the field to play.
keep in mind, I only use commercial grade automotive clearcoat that hardens in 3 hours. If you are using the air dry stuff, it's going to take a lot longer.

Another game changer for me! Thanks. (Yes, I am using professional automotive 2pac that says it is ready for buffing within hours of application.)

1 month later
#5437 6 years ago

If anyone is curious to follow along and see how all this information translates into practice in the mind and hands of a newbie playfield restoration practitioner, I have started a thread documenting my Comet project. https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/comet-restoration-project

I have two previous projects under my belt. Both of them turned out well, but not without LOTS of mistakes along the way. This time I decided to "do it in public" with a restoration thread. I hope folks will chime in with tips, suggestions, warnings and alternate approaches.

I would like to offer up a BIG thank you to Vid once again for his generosity in sharing his knowledge with everyone here.

#5448 6 years ago
Quoted from sohchx:

Vid I have a question. I have a green shade of paint that I absolutely cannot match. Would I be able to use another brand of paint that is close to or an exact match other than the Createx airbrush colors? Out of all of the playfields that I have done this is the first to have me stumped.

If the bottle in the picture is your starting point you'll never get there. The bottle of green in your picture is clearly a tint (contains white). The green on the playfield is a dark green on the bluish end of the spectrum. Try starting from scratch with primary colors using a warm yellow and a deep blue. The tinyest bit of a deep red on the blue side of the spectrum might be useful to push the color towards gray if need be.

#5466 6 years ago
Quoted from sethbenjamin:

OK, so...I went on eBay and bought myself one of those nifty HP Scanjet frame scanners - still in the box! Awesome!
Buuuuut.....the software is so old at this point, no Mac can run it. (It's Power PC, and OSX hasn't run that type of software in several generations.)
Would be GREAT if somebody had some sort of plugin/workaround...until I can find a solution, I've got myself a useless piece of landfill fodder. Argh, hate this kind of thing.

I bought a used laptop running Windows 7 on EBay for $40. I use it as a dedicated scanner machine.

1 week later
#5502 6 years ago
Quoted from Hardsuit:

1/2 of the playfield sanded at 120 grit.

All sanding done on the first pass.

Second round of clearcoat buldiup started.

How do you degloss the low areas of the textured paper between coats of clear?

1 week later
#5516 6 years ago
Quoted from tomds:

Currently looking at a Wolf Baby Cub Portable 6 Litre Air Compressor 116psi 6.3CFM 1.5HP 230v for air brushing. Would this be suitable for clear coating or do I need a bigger capacity tank?

I would think that would be fine for airbrushing but not for 2pac. HVLP guns really are that - high volume. I use a 22 gallon compressor (approximately 83 liters) for clearcoat. I always make sure the tank is on a fresh charge when I shoot clear. I always make it through a full coat without the motor kicking on, but without much air to spare. The compressor usually kicks on a quarter of the way through cleaning the gun.

#5518 6 years ago

This one:

https://m.harborfreight.com/21-gal-25-hp-125-psi-cast-iron-vertical-air-compressor-61454.html

Cheapo HF. I may regret it on the durability front someday but if you wait until it's on sale and use a 20% off coupon the price is hard to beat. I think I paid around $130 out the door. So far so good for me 2 years in. I hunted Craigslist for a better build for awhile but gave up as nothing good ever came up.

#5521 6 years ago
Quoted from jsa:

You feel that the 5.8 CFM @ 40 PSI is good enough for painting? I keep getting mixed messages...That the clear coat benefits from having a higher overall capable CFM (like 13-15). vid1900 was recommending higher horsepower, but the price difference is 10x.

If you were painting something big it probably wouldn't keep up but for airbrushing it's more than fine. For clear, you just need the tank full and pressurized. The motor won't even kick on while you are spraying clear on something as small as a playfield. For larger projects or running pneumatic tools bigger would be better.

#5526 6 years ago
Quoted from tomds:

Thanks I have some evaporust, just want to know how to get it off the rail?

If that's a nail holding it on, I would carefully wedge a three inch steel putty knife between the metal and wood under the long edge of the piece and lift/pry ever so slightly being careful to neither bend the metal piece nor gouge or dent the wood. You only need that nail head to lift a tiny bit in order to slip the notched end of a mini flat bar under it to finish the job.

TEKTON 3305 7-1/2-Inch Utility Pry Bar https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000NPT67A/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_HybKAbJSJP1Z7

#5540 6 years ago

Sometimes it seems like you've written a guide for pretty much everything. I won't be surprised if someday I stumble across "Taking a Leak - Vid's Guide".

1 week later
#5581 6 years ago
Quoted from phototamer:

The black lines around the purple box look fine to me.
if you need to address the small lower right part , then using 2 pieces of pinstripe to define the black line and painting some black acrylic paint in the gap would do the trick. At least , that is what I do , with perfect results.
If you are referring to the circle keylines inside the purple box , then waterslide decals must be the way .
Charles

Seems to me like pinstripe tape would create a raised line that would affect the direction of a slow moving ball, or am I mistaken? I have been masking keylines and airbrushing them.

#5585 6 years ago
Quoted from Pindufus:

I mistakenly purchased Inkjet decal paper instead of Laserjet decal paper. Really didn't realize there was a difference. Will the Inkjet paper work OK for decal purposes?
Also, VID, you reference super thin paper. What do you consider super thin? My paper is 2 mils. Is that thin enough to clear over and still avoid raised edges?>

It depends on the brand and your ink. I use Lazertran inkjet paper with an epson r3000 shooting k3 ink. That's high end ink with a 100+ year archival stability. Your millage may vary with lower end ink/equipment.

1 week later
#5597 6 years ago

Hey Vid - how long do you let your final coat of 2pac cure before repopulating? I seem to remember reading or hearing somewhere that repopulating too soon can allow the star posts and such to form depressions in the fresh clear. What's your experience/opinion?

#5602 6 years ago
Quoted from mark532011:

One thing I am still curious about. How do you get the wax off?
If you carnuba wax a playfield and decide later that you want to do some paint touchup. Is it possible to ever get the wax off enough to paint?

Short answer: naptha.
Long (but much better answer): https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cleaning-and-waxing-pinball-machines-vids-guide

#5614 6 years ago
Quoted from tomds:

I’m going to be repainting and clearing the playfield so need it to be flat.

Though not a big deal, if you fill them it turns out nicer and you won't have to scuff inside all those divits for each successive coat of clear.

1 week later
#5631 6 years ago
Quoted from jsa:

Wait a minute... MAYBE HE ISN'T ONE PERSON.

Vid is kinda like Banksy that way.

2 weeks later
#5698 5 years ago

When I started my Comet restoration thread, I was kind of nervous about the rather massive potential to screw up in public but vowed to do it anyway. (No making a mistake, fixing it behind the scenes and then moving on without including it in the documentation thread.) I figured this was the best approach to both receive helpful feedback and to act as a cautionary tale for other newbies to avoid similar pitfalls. Well folks, I officially have a major screw-up to report. Check this out:

20180427_172230 (resized).jpg20180427_172230 (resized).jpg

That's a dome in the clear that formed around a post 24-48 hours after installing it. There are also some lesser points of failure where the clear formed a halo or partial halo around posts.

20180428_071744 (resized).jpg20180428_071744 (resized).jpg

One of the interesting/horrifying things was that in some places where there are multiple posts that get rubbered as a group, the clear was slightly buckling but only on the sides of the posts that were facing each other as though the force of the rubber pulling on the posts which were snug on the playfield had actually pulled the clear in that direction.

When I discovered all this I immediately removed all of the rubber and loosened all of the posts to remove any tension. Then I said, "##!!@%**!!" and walked away to consider my folly.

I am thinking that the clear was not cured fully enough to handle pressure and tension being applied to it in such a focused way, but I'm not sure. I'm new to this.

My current thought/plan is to depopulate the topside again, mix a tiny batch of clear and inject it with an insulin needle into the areas that failed but maybe there's some other glue or technique that would be better than an injection of clear? After whatever the fix is, I plan on walking away for as long as necessary for the clear to be hard as a freaking rock before repopulating again.

Vid - what would you do?

#5701 5 years ago

Evercoat Edge 2.1 102740 base with 102744 medium catalyst. I got it from a local auto body paint store.

20180429_065128 (resized).jpg20180429_065128 (resized).jpg
#5706 5 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

It does not look cured.
Did you measure the ratios EXACTLY?
Did it get sprayed in too cold a temp?
If you put your nose up to it, does it still smell like solvent?
Let's see a pic of the gloss of the playfield. If it's not fully cured, usually you can't get it to buff out to a full mirror.

I agree that it is not fully cured. It has a decent shine, but I would not describe it as a mirror finish. I had chalked that up to lack of polishing experience but now it seems like it not being fully cured is probably the real issue. Here is what it looks like:

20180429_091014 (resized).jpg20180429_091014 (resized).jpg

I can barely smell the distinct clearcoat solvent stink but there is a faint whiff there if I press my nose right up onto it.

As for measuring, I use these little disposable medicine cups:

20180429_091132 (resized).jpg20180429_091132 (resized).jpg

I fill it to the top 4x for the body and once for the catalyst. I have been careful about temperature. Our weather has been a tad too cold for this stuff, so I've been heating the workshop up with the woodstove and getting everything up to 70-75 degrees. I measure ambient temperature with the thermostat for my wall mounted a/c unit and surface temp of the playfield and clearcoat containers (which I agitate regularly to try to ensure that the clear in the container is the same as the container itself) with an infrared spot gun.

I am starting to wonder, though, about temperature fluctuations 6-8 hours and beyond after application. I do not keep the workshop at a steady temperature since the wood stove is the only heat source. I wonder if the fact that later on in the curing process the temperatures range from 50-60 at night to 70ish in the daytime is slowing down the full cure too much?

Now that I am once again depopulating the topside, I can see that it is the posts that were smaller in diameter at their base and star posts that had significant band tension on them that caused the worst of the clearcoat damage. That said, even standard star posts with no tension left ring marks in the clear. Here are a couple more examples:

20180429_093044 (resized).jpg20180429_093044 (resized).jpg

20180429_093347 (resized).jpg20180429_093347 (resized).jpg

I am no longer intent on trying to salvage this without shooting another layer or two of clear to repair it. It seems like the bad wrinkles probably need to be cut out and the area filled with eyedropper applications of clear, block sanded and cleared again? And what about the areas that just have halos from slight lifting of the clear? I have no clue how best to approach those.

#5709 5 years ago
Quoted from BJM-Maxx:

How many hours of cure time did it have before you started populating it? Seems strange it is so soft.

Somewhere in the neighborhood of three weeks.

#5713 5 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Yep, while they are still soft, cut those wrinkled and ghosted areas out and let the playfield fully harden.

After I do that, what do you think about putting the playfield back in the cab with the glass on and sitting it out in partial sun in the afternoons (it's been in the high 70's/low 80's here lately) to kick up the temperature to get it to cure better? I'd babysit it with the spot temp gun to be sure it didn't get overly hot.

#5715 5 years ago

Mist coat with 10 minute flash time followed by a wet coat. I don't remember how many total coats are on there. Four, I think, applied days apart. I think it is both thick and too cold as an average temperature and hence not fully cured.

#5717 5 years ago
Quoted from Lonzo:

Is this the first time you have used this clear?
What is the mix ratio? I would get a real mix cup from the place you bought it instead of the little cups. They have markings on them for all the different ratios available.
Something seems off here. I have cleared many playfields and I have never seen anything like that on a playfield that has been sitting 3 weeks. But I'm also not a professional.

You might not be a pro but your work is on par with one. I used this same clear on a prior project. It worked fine. The significant differences between this project and the last are average ambient temperature (lower in this case) and total layers of clear (more in this case).

#5720 5 years ago

I'm not sure about infrared curing but the label indicates normal forced curing of 30 minutes at 140F.

I agree about sanding it back. It's WAY too thick. I've surgically removed the worst wrinkles by heating slightly with a hairdryer and scoring with the xacto knife. What comes off looks like a clear washer roughly 1/32" thick.

Approximately how much liquid volume of clear do you normally apply per layer? I've been mixing a total of 5 fluid ounces and typically have just a tiny amount left in the gun after spraying.

20180430_094850 (resized).jpg20180430_094850 (resized).jpg20180430_095622 (resized).jpg20180430_095622 (resized).jpg
#5723 5 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

I usually shoot 2 thin layers about 1 hour apart if I'm doing a clear only job.
Restoration work might have different very thin layers just to lock down previous work, then the 2 top layers.

How thin is thin? Do you have a rough sense of the total liquid volume of clear you usually shoot per coat?

#5727 5 years ago
Quoted from Atari_Daze:

+1
Edit: (now that I have the hang of the cheap HF HVLP)

Okay thanks - I'm in that ballpark. I've been mixing roughly 170ml and always have a tiny bit leftover.

I think the bottom layers just were not fully cured as I put on subsequent layers. Combine that with low temps after the initial set and I think that explains it.

I've got the worst of it cut out. Vid, I like your reasoning on sanding. I'm going to go that route.

Thanks for all the good questions and suggestions. It has really helped me think this through, hopefully to a point of understanding, definitely to a point of having confidence in my repair approach.

#5728 5 years ago
Quoted from pinheadpierre:

After I do that, what do you think about putting the playfield back in the cab with the glass on and sitting it out in partial sun in the afternoons (it's been in the high 70's/low 80's here lately) to kick up the temperature to get it to cure better? I'd babysit it with the spot temp gun to be sure it didn't get overly hot.

One last comment/thought before I take this freak show back to my restoration thread - it's a sunny 65 here today. Simply moving the playfield outside into direct sun has kicked up the surface temperature of the playfield to 106F and rising in just 15 minutes. NOW I can really smell the solvents.

20180430_125201 (resized).jpg20180430_125201 (resized).jpg
#5732 5 years ago
Quoted from PinballAir:

Should there be concern about fading the colors in direct sunlight?

Only if it was going to live out there long term. A few afternoons in the sun won't hurt decent quality pigments like these.

1 month later
#5839 5 years ago
Quoted from Silverstreak02:

What do I use to thin Createx paint? It is too thick to work in my Molotow paint pen.

Molotow makes a pen you can load with your own paint?

#5847 5 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Look under posts or other mechs and match the unfaded color.
You don't want to introduce new colors to the pallet, they stand out like a sore thumb.

This is realistically as close of a matching guide as one can reasonably expect. Note though that even this is really just matching a less ambered/faded version of a color. The old clear coats turn somewhat amber and therefore shift the underlying color even under posts where the paint has rarely seen the light of day. Short of having a time machine to go back and see what the colors looked like on day one, we are all just doing our best to restore to a convincing approximation the original spirit of the design.

#5849 5 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Many of the Bally Williams games art is still around.
The films say right on them what Pantone colors are used.
That is why CPR can say that a color is EXACTLY what it was supposed to be, because they have the official Pantone color # from the 70/80/90s

Well now, that would be mighty handy to have access to.

3 weeks later
#5883 5 years ago
Quoted from kilmarnock1350:

This faded Bally (NGS) grey is IMPOSSIBLE to match. Spent all afternoon and not even close.
I saw the earlier post about adding purple... still didn't help.

Zooming in on your picture I suspect you'll never match that grey because it has actually worn though or nearly through creating a random multi-colored tone that the eye optically reads as grey but is actually grey specks interspersed with various wood tones. I would mask off anything complicated (cars, etc) if still good and totally repaint the grey with as close a match as you can make. Then replace any details you covered up with paint (using vinyl masks cut from scans) and/or waterslide decals.

1 month later
#6016 5 years ago
Quoted from chubtoad13:

I cleaned my playfield with magic eraser and 99%alcohol. I’m pretty happy with the result.
It did leave a film in areas. I tried wiping it up before it dried and I tried naphtha with little effect. It does look great when wet with naphtha, but i would like to remove it if possible. Any suggestions?
You can see it a little in the orange and black
[quoted image]

Question for Vid: what is the haze described here? Some dirty, dissolved clear that was left behind during cleaning/removal? Alcohol + M.E. = no more original clearcoat (except what does not fully wipe up in the first passes), right?

#6048 5 years ago

Sniff it when it's warm. I got duped by a cold playfield that didn't stink and had to perform a major salvage operation when my star posts under rubber tension wrinkled the clear.

1 week later
#6074 5 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:

If you could borrow a slightly newer laptop off someone for a day, you should be able to make it work.

I picked up a dirt cheap laptop running XP. It drives the old hp scanners just fine all by itself with the native scanning interface. Look on Ebay or in thrift stores. Pretty much nobody wants a computer that old, so they go cheap.

2 weeks later
#6121 5 years ago
Quoted from statictrance:

Yeah but I'm struggling with basic Yellows and Reds.

Yellow and reds are primary colors (along with blue). You cannot "make" them from other colors, you can only shift them lighter, darker or towards their secondary colors. Get yourself a variety of reds, blues and yellows. The six color starter set is not enough. Branch out into the wicked line or other brands if need be. You'll find that there is a wide world of reds, yellows and blues out there.

#6124 5 years ago
Quoted from TopMoose:

Remember that there's no such thing as "light red."

In the world of airbrush paints that's mostly true, though in high grade art paints the are definitely pure reds ranging from light to dark based on mineral grading and chemical processing. Cadmium red light, medium and dark, for example, are pure pigments (with processing differences) with decidedly different hues and tonal values. Then there are synthetic red pigments such as alizeran (very dark and transparent), thalo reds, synthetic red oxides (and the natural red earth oxides), all of which come in a wide variety of hues and values.

1 week later
#6136 5 years ago
Quoted from TopMoose:

Totally agree - Magic eraser with 90% alcohol will get out the ball swirls. Scrub small areas at a time.
Along with the dirt, it's also taking off some of the topcoat, so consider clear coating to protect the paint from wearing out.

It might get out the swirls. It won't if they are in the paint itself. Depends on how much of the original clear was left when they occurred. Either way, my understanding (please correct me If I'm wrong) is that ME+alcohol = you need to clearcoat the playfield or at least install full mylar after a thorough waxing to ensure that the mylar is removable since whatever clear is left will likely be gone when you are finished with the ME.

#6145 5 years ago
Quoted from Tomass:

Thanks guys. I was mostly wanting to use the same tone between both playfields on as many colors as I could. I guess at this point it is changed anyway, so I may just use the same grey if I decide to repaint all that detail around the art. The grey on Comet was so dark, I didn't want it to look completely wrong if I went with a brighter grey like Cyclone.

For what it's worth, my Comet had full mylar in the lower half of the playfield. Upon removal of the mylar, the grey on the lower half was a bit lighter than the top half but not nearly as light as your Cyclone. Mostly the difference between my mylar protected grey and the exposed grey was due to greater yellowing of the factory clear in the upper half. Once cleaned thoroughly with ME and alcohol they were about the same.

1 month later
#6202 5 years ago
Quoted from sethbenjamin:

Anybody else on here have issues with frisket leaving sticky residue behind? I don't remember having this problem on my first project, but lately it's been an issue. I thought it had to do with the very humid summer we were having, but I have a new roll of Frisket brand masking and it's still happening. You can get it cleaned up with Naptha, but that also dissolves the paint unless you can remove the residue with a q-tip and take it very carefully. Seems like such a dumb problem to be having. I didn't buy film that was "high tack" or anything like that.

What brand are you using? I tried some "original frisket" awhile ago because my usual brand (grafix) was out of stock. The "original" left adhesive residue behind. I returned it for a refund.

2 months later
#6399 5 years ago
Quoted from kilmarnock1350:

Sanding personal protection.
Lately I’ve had serious sinus problems. For the last several months I’ve has sinus infections, inability to breathe though the nose, and I’m actually having surgery Tuesday to correct the problems.
I think this is a shop-related problem. I’m wondering about the dust from sanding the clear.
I’ve never worn PPE while sanding. I always do while spraying, and I think it’s possible the fine dust of the clear after sanding is giving me problems.
Wet sanding I would assume would be safer as it creates a slurry mess, however many times I use a green scrubbie to scratch the surface in prep for the next spray.
Wondering what everyone’s thoughts are here!

I ALWAYS wear a properly rated minimum half face dual cartridge respirator when sanding anything. Why not?? It takes ten seconds to put it on. Even for bare wood...because there's no good reason not to. I also take care to contain all sanding residue as completely as I can to avoid contamination of myself and the workspace. For me, for clear, that means wet sanding with a half face respirator, disposable gloves and immediate wipe up/disposal of the slurry multiple times throughout the process followed by a thorough cleaning of the work area. I also immediately shower and wash any clothes I was wearing if I don't wear disposable tyvek coveralls.

2 weeks later
#6463 5 years ago
Quoted from Atari_Daze:

What could cause and how to fix peeling 2PAC?
Surface was prepped and cleaned as this guide instructs.
Temp of pf and 2pac were equal at approx 70F
No noticable problems occurred during initial sanding after about 4 days of cure, only upon removing frisket from first airbrush touch ups did the clear begin to come off in sheets.
Thoughts on remedy, sand down and just start over?[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I suspect this is why some guys shoot a layer of adhesion promoter before the first coat of clear.

1 week later
#6490 5 years ago
Quoted from ktownhero:

For those that use Createx paints, do you or have you ever used a base first prior to applying color? For example, let's say you have a blue color that you want to restore but the hue of the old paint varies due to variations in exposure (mylar). Would you just use Createx blue or would you consider doing a white or blue base first, and then the color?
Or are Createx opaques so pigment rich that the base doesn't matter?

A white base is helpful. It doesn't have to be bright, stark white. A light mist will do. Keep your paint layers THIN. Thinner paint layers are less prone to lifting and do not express their edge as much when cleared.

#6500 5 years ago

I stopped applying heat as well. Learning to airbrush better and apply the paint super thin is the key to success. Applying heat while your vinyl mask is in place also increases the risk of increasing the bond between playfield and mask, thereby increasing the risk of pulling up precious layers of paint or clear.

Paint thin to win!

1 week later
#6505 5 years ago
Quoted from ktownhero:

I'm planning on getting my first coat of clear on a JOKERZ this weekend... The playfield is a bit bowed though, is that something I should try to remedy prior to clear coating? It's noticeable but goes away when the side rails are back on -- Should I try to clamp it down across the length before clearing or just clear as-is and reassemble as usual? I know clear has a little flex so I'm sure it's ok, but would appreciate confirmation. Thanks!
EDIT: The bow technically makes it impossible to fully level the playfield

Quoted from Lonzo:

I built a box to hold my playfield while I clear. I supports the sides all the way down thus flattening the playfield.

Definitely get it flat for your work. Do it in a way such that it doesn't flex again during or after your work. Too much flex during or after your painting can cause ghosting of the clear. I think I remember Vid suggesting screwing the rails to the underside of the playfield to give it support. I suggest when you are done, replace them up top one at a time so that the playfield is still supported on at least three sides during the process. Paint restoration takes so much time that I've decided that you can't be too careful. These simple precautions are a drop in the bucket timewise.

Lonzo's idea is best. With his suggestion, the playfield is totally supported at all times.

#6512 5 years ago
Quoted from wolffcub:

The original playfield would just flake if you ran your finger across it and the inserts were so bad. The upper inserts at times could actually hold the ball in them and a few were melted and distorted due to the bulbs being pushed right up and touching them.
This go around was a breeze with masking and painting as after first bar sanding, fixing the planking areas using my wacky CA glue idea I cleared everything with 2k prior to paint. Nothing on this project lifted or peeled during masking even when I was aggressive with it. After base colours were done I locked it in with more clear then moved onto black then more clear, then final then clear, then noticed I forgot his eyes so more airbrush work and then FINAL clear. Got some contaminants in the 3000grit sand and it scored the clear in a few spots. I hope it will not be noticeable after is all back together as I have a gun to my head to finish it. I also would like to add more black accents to the blue and magenta coloured areas so that will be a good time to do so and then re clear again in the future.
My repaint of the Lectronamo in August of last year taught me a lot about prep work I never did correctly. This time around with the CA fix and the clear prior to painting things went perfect. This time around I tried something a little different with filling any low spots with clear. Instead of just applying it to just the low spots and letting it dry then sanding, I applied clear with a dropper, waited 15 min then gave the field a spray wait the 15 min flash time then another good coat. The coats over the dropper areas actually blended themselves outward very well and sanding them down after was very minimal. [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Nice custom repaint - clean and one of a kind.

#6517 5 years ago
Quoted from ktownhero:

How do you all feel about bothering to preserve key lines around light sockets that are hidden once the playfield is assembled anyway? I noticed on my JOKERZ! that the majority, if not all, are not visible once assembled and they are all misaligned from the factory anyway lol. Just ignoring them could save me a good bit of time cutting frisket, but is that lame?

Totally personal choice. For a game that I plan to keep for myself I ask, "Will it bug me later?" For a game I plan to sell I ask myself, "Is the buyer going to care about this / is it worth the effort?"

#6529 5 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

Put pieces of cut up sponge in the holes to keep clear out of the inserts when painting.

Or clamp it to your rotisserie, turn it upside down and paint/seal the bottom (which is now facing the floor) with a foam brush. Any drops will naturally fall away from the playfield. You can do the areas covered by the clamps after you flip the rotisserie back right side up and remove the clamps.

2 weeks later
#6545 4 years ago
Quoted from PinballBillinFL:

Second, does anybody have any recommendations or experience with lettering that has borders like the image? I've got several instances with one color background, another color for the letter, and the black border surrounding the letter. I don't think I can use the above technique to create teh border, but haven't tried yet.

If you have access to a scanner and a vinyl cutter, making stencils for this kind of thing is fairly simple.

#6549 4 years ago
Quoted from Fred736:

Yeah, and dont try to make a stencil for border only and then try to place the letter within that border.
Think of a regular font (in red) painted over its bold (in black) version.

I usually repaint the entire word with its center (body) color about halfway into the keyline area to allow for a little wiggle room when I come back and paint the black keyline. This, of course, means two separate stencils. You can adjust the overall area of each in photoshop or other graphics program of your choice.

#6558 4 years ago
Quoted from PinballBillinFL:

I've printed some of the original scans on paper using my laser printer just to check for sizing, and found that they were all a bit smaller than they should be. I just took one scan, zoomed in, and using GIMP measured the length of a straight black bar to be 7.44 cm. Using a rule, measured the actual line on the playfield to be 7.4 cm. zoomed in to 400x there's a bit of ambiguity in my scan masurements depending on which pixels I uses, so I believe the scan is indeed exact, and printing to paper is not. Makes me feel better.
So I'm guessing that if I go the vinyl cutter route, I can achieve enough accuracy to do do most of my masking. Damn, gotta buy another toy! LOL

Sounds like your print interface is changing the scale of your scan.

#6562 4 years ago
Quoted from harryhoudini:

Is there a way to laminate or clear a decal before applying it? For example, I have one insert on my TOM that is basically gone. Can I buy this set (ebay.com link » Theatre Of Magic Pinball Machine Insert Decals ) and spray a clear coat on the decal first and then install it? I'd rather not try to clear it in the game. I was thinking my other option was putting some mylar over it. I figured I could carefully remove the rest of the decal with an xacto. I can't find these decals laminated anywhere, although it looks like they used to exist.

Don't try to clearcoat a sticker prior to application. I wouldn't mylar playfield stickers either. You're already adding a raised edge by going with stickers. Mylar would extend the life of the sticker but also increase the thickness. I would scan the sticker set prior to application so that you can easily make yourself waterslide decals in the future. Playfield stickers should hold up a good while if they are decent quality and you keep the playfield waxed and your balls fresh. When the stickers wear out, apply new ones or do a playfield restoration with paint, waterslide decals and clearcoat.

I always cover new target stickers with mylar to extend their life since thickness isn't an adverse issue on targets.

#6565 4 years ago
Quoted from ktownhero:

Has anyone ever just covered a whole playfield in mylar in lieu of clear? Like buy a sheet, apply it, and cut out the appropriate areas so you have 100% coverage.

Haven't done it personally since I always clearcoat my work, but I know that this is perfectly doable. Be sure to wax well before applying so you can more easily remove the mylar down the road. I would think though that if the playfield is old and kinda flakey that even with wax you risk potentially significant paint loss if/when you remove the mylar in the future. Note also that if you have done touch up work mylar will protect it but won't give the color saturation pop that clearcoat does.

#6579 4 years ago
Quoted from harryhoudini:

I don't know, you're advocating replacing a playfield because one insert is missing. Doesn't equate for me. Plus I am doing a playfield swap (with a used playfield) on my JP right now, not ready to do another right now.

If you're overwhelmed with projects and don't want to spend the extra money right now I'd leave the playfield alone for the moment. Swap the playfield with a new one later. I too think you're already deep enough into this that it doesn't make sense to cut a corner on the most important part.

#6595 4 years ago
Quoted from PinballAir:

I have never done waterside because I fear they will fade. They are done by others here all the time but I am still uncertain.

Fade factor would depend in large part on the print type. I can't speak to the long term performance of black laser toner but I would not trust color laser toner to last since we are talking about synthetics that are not manufactured for archival stability. All inkjet prints will fade unless you are using a special art printer shooting archival pigment inks (what I use because I happen to have one on hand for other purposes).

The other factor is the waterslide material itself. Will it turn amber in 20-30 years? Maybe, maybe not. UV light exposure levels will be a variable and a potential factor. The fact that the material is sandwiched between two layers of automotive clearcoat would seem to virtually eliminate oxygen and ozone as factors.

All of that said, I use waterslides. There's no other practical way to restore some super fine details. I get incredible, vibrant results in both black and color with Epson K3 inks. I predict there will be no deterioration of them in my lifetime.

1 week later
#6612 4 years ago
Quoted from mark532011:

Airbrushing is a lot more than just buying a gun. I have yet to have success with one. There are a ton of variables (pressure, distance, viscosity,etc.). All I have ended up with is blobs and drips all over everything. Definitely not playfield quality (at least yet, I keep trying) but for a small one-off I would recommend decals unless you are using it as a gateway drug to frustration

Blobs and drips sounds like either your pressure is too low, a clog in your brush or paint which is not intended for airbrush work. It does take practice. A good airbrush, clean airbrush paint (I filter mine through a tiny doubled up scrap of cheesecloth when filling the brush cup), proper pressure (I find around 25psi with my dual action iwata and createx paint is a good setting) and a light touch on the trigger are key.

1 week later
#6648 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

It doesnt always happen.
Tons of things are in play:
Ambient temperature
Surface temperature
humidity
Surface prep
Moisture in the wood and plastic
Gasses trapped in the clear after the surface skins over due to too fast of a hardener or reducer. I like the medium speed reducer.
Tons to go wrong lol, but Omni and PPG paints are pretty forgiving.
That's why Vid recommends them.

All of this plus....I strongly recommend led lighting under all inserts for the reduced heat factor. I've seen more ghosting of inserts on restored playfields more often with incandescent lights vs leds.

#6655 4 years ago
Quoted from phototamer:

Plugging the holes will be just fine. After all you just mist the playfield and your sandpaper , you dont flood the place.
Just make sure you clear the residue from sanding from the holes before any subsequent clear coat.

I've done it using old light bulbs in the lamp sockets (they won't blow out while clearing) and covering the switch holes from beneath with good tape. If your lamp sockets can be bent back enough without breaking the tab or solder to cover the hole from beneath rather than plugging it with a bulb, so much the better. It's still a good idea to clean out the lamp sockets with a wire brush on the dremel and blow out with compressed air once it's all done and polished. I find it's the polish that tends to be the messiest part and the most difficult to keep out of the sockets.

#6662 4 years ago

Foam ear plugs (...and anything else that sits loose in the light sockets) works great until the moment that it doesn't and comes flying out of the hole due to air pressure from spraying. Then you've got a big goober in your fresh wet clear.

When I take the old bulbs out of the sockets, I keep them together in a cup. That way when you put them back in for the next layer, you won't accidentally miss a socket. I also tape a big note to myself on my container of clear to remember to put the bulbs back in before clearing.

#6665 4 years ago
Quoted from ktownhero:

You're not supposed to spray at 2,000 PSI!!!

You are correct. 30psi is plenty of pressure to blow a wad of tape or a small piece of foam out of a hole. Luck holds out until it doesn't.

#6669 4 years ago
Quoted from Tommy-dog:

Your using a HLVP spray gun, right? Some of your Iwata's spray better at 18-20 psi than at 30. Your Sata's guns usually work good in the 25psi range. Practice on cardboard your gun settings (pattern width, pressures and your saturation levels) before you do your playfield. You do not want to be playing with your gun adjustments on your playfield. Your first coat will be your tack coat (very thin spray coat). Follow your flash times of your particular coat. Your second coat will be your hammer coat of clear (thicker coat).

Thanks. I have experimented with a broad range of pressure and gun settings for my particular gun and clearcoat. I found that 28psi delivers the best pattern and coverage for my setup. I simply rounded up to 30 for my post above.

#6674 4 years ago
Quoted from JamesUK:

Hi all,
Thoughts on this from an Earthshaker? Ball swirls or planking, doesn't seem to want to budge.[quoted image][quoted image]

That's dirt (probably mostly fine carbon dust from coils) ground into extensive micro cracks in the original clear. Live with it or get ready for an extensive repaint. Some but not all MIGHT come out with extensive, careful removal of the clear but usually the paint underneath is affected as well. Of course, then you have to reclear it. In this case, I would opt for a new replacement playfield if there's one available unless you want to go on a long restoration journey as an educational exercise.

1 year later
#7033 3 years ago

Hard to tell from a picture, but it looks like it’s not sanded dead flat yet. I’m reading cloudy areas as higher than the areas that look more clear in the inserts.

#7040 3 years ago
Quoted from Mathazar:

Thanx, tommy-dog - I made a couple of orbital sander passes with 400 grit this afternoon and the playfield is much better. Non-glossy and it looks flat...no weird splotchy highlights when looking at it at an angle anymore.
Question on inserts if you have any advice in that area - they all look great after a Naphtha wipe down. After the Naphtha dries off, I've got 4 inserts that show a fair amount of scratches. Will laying down a few light layers of clear before applying the hardtop have them looking scratchless like after a Naphtha wipe down, or do I need to sand the inserts 1000-1500-2000 (especially those 4) as suggested in the hardtop installation instructions?

Going with a grit higher than 600 might prevent good adhesion of the clear. If the inserts look good wiped with naphtha (while it is wet), they should look good cleared.

4 weeks later
#7066 3 years ago
Quoted from plumbertim1:

I'm having trouble cleaning the playfield on my Bally Bingo Laguna Beach. Looks like some sort of coating that won't come off. I've tried everything but paint thinner. My guess the motor below the field probably baked it in. The rest of the playing field is taking a lot of elbow grease.
Any ideas?
[quoted image]

Looks like maybe what’s left of the original lacquer? Have you tried alcohol on magic eraser? I’d be REALLY careful not to let any solvents touch the areas without that coating, though. It could take the bare artwork right off.

2 months later
#7122 3 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Just leave it alone.
That's too nice of a playfield to be your first butcher job.
Sys9 and 11 often the ink comes off the inserts too

Dude....long time no see. Nice surprise to see you back in the thread

4 months later
#7322 3 years ago
Quoted from harig:

Having some issues with my T2 playfield:
It was a diamondplate that was sanded before the first layer of 2K automotive clearcoat, got some small areas airbrushed and finally again some layers clearcoated
Work was done by a professional and motivated friend that does car painting as his job. We have done a TAF playfield before without issues.
As we are aware of we have used a very similar/same procedure as on the TAF playfield altough the clearcoat seems to be slightly different (newer version).
The issue:
There are a few spots where the clear started to lift after a couple of days/weeks (like insert ghosting) and got worse over time
Especially at recessed areas (due to high suface tension?)
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]
Shooterlane was really bad-started like seen on the attached picture and got worse till in the whole area the clear separated from the base and was like an air pocket (no pic available).
Got the shooterlane area fixed by removing (cutting straight lines) the clear and reclearing it-so this is solved.
[quoted image]
There are some other areas that developed over time but mostly really small and hardly noticeable.
The one that really bothers me is the ´special´ insert: [quoted image]
Looks like insert ghosting although the pattern looks more like a spiderweb
I will try solve it with the technique described by Vid here:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-to-ultimate-playfield-restoration/page/2#post-551865
good idea or leave it alone??
Just wondering what went wrong in our process and to avoid the same issues (separating clear causing ghosting/air pockets bubbles) in the future-some ideas for possible causes from my side:
- were the layers too thick / not enough sanding between coats?
- can´t tell for sure which layer was the weak one where the clear separated but it seems it was (one of) the first one(s)
was the grit of the sandpaper (either 800/1200 or gray fine scotch was used IIRC) too fine thus creating not enough grip before the initial coat ?
- Is it related to the speed of the hardener (fast/mid/slow)? Haven´t any details which one was used-maybe different ones
- when removing the clear coat at the shooter lane one could smell chemicals like fresh clearcoat. As this paintjob was done most likely at the end of the day when emptying the spray gun I still assume the mixing ratio of clear/hardener was correct
- clearcoat used was 2K automotive clearcoat (Standox xtreme) that dries at room temperature-no external heat source was used
What do the experts think? any comments and ideas welcome

Looks like some areas may have had surface contamination, but my main observation (and it’s kinda hard to tell for sure from photos) is that the clear looks way too thick. Keep it warm (70F or higher) and forget about it for at least 6 months, maybe longer. Then sand the clear mostly off (careful not to break through) and try again with a much thinner coat.

#7333 3 years ago
Quoted from mark532011:

if I am touching up areas of paint, what is the consensus on "mistakes"? For example, on this Ice Revue, the clowns red shirt is outside the lines. Is that deliberate by the artist and should be replicated? Is that a printing error and should be corrected? If you asked the artist would they want it cleaned up?
[quoted image]

Sloppy registration is common. I agree that you leave it alone unless you’re doing a full repaint.

2 weeks later
#7372 3 years ago

600 dpi, tiff

2 months later
#7442 2 years ago
Quoted from jazc4:

I'm almost ready to clear coat my RS playfield. I've done a lot of research. Please check my list and let me know if I'm wrong anywhere. Thank you.
1. Sand
2. Naphtha
3. First coat of clear
4. Wait 24 hours
4. Paint corrections
5. Lightly sand or scuff
6. Final coats of clear
7. Wait 24 hours
8. Sanding cascade
9. Wait 2-3 weeks
10. Final cutting and polish

I would swap the positions of step 5 and your second step four.

1 month later
#7555 2 years ago
Quoted from jadziedzic:

All you folks screwing those post screws into new playfields: get some screw wax! Seriously. A small amount of screw wax on the threads will make a tremendous difference in the force required to seat the post screw and prevent breakage. Like this stuff: https://www.fastcap.com/product/screw-wax
Just a dab will do - and the screw doesn't have any tendency to back out or loosen due to the wax.

I had totally forgotten about waxing screws. It does help. In college I worked as an assistant to an apartment maintenance guy. He kept a toilet wax ring in his tool cart for waxing screws.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 22.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 12.95
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 119.95
Boards
Allteksystems

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 179.00
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

3,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Walnut Creek, CA
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 40.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 76.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep

$ 10.00
$ 30.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 8.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinheadpierre.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-to-ultimate-playfield-restoration?tu=pinheadpierre and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.