Pinside_forum_1762038_386370 (resized).jpg
IMG_3141 (resized).JPG
PXL_20240304_203555066 (resized).jpg
20240301_160448 (resized).jpg
20240301_131123 (resized).jpg
IMG_2646 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3299 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

143 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #7 Playfield damage assessment. Posted by vid1900 (11 years ago)

Post #8 Insert damage assessment. Posted by vid1900 (11 years ago)

Post #34 How to sand your new inserts flat. Posted by vid1900 (11 years ago)

Post #35 Cleaning old glue out of the insert holes. Posted by vid1900 (11 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider phototamer.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#4967 6 years ago

First of all A big thanks to Vid and all others helping less experienced pinball owners like myself to restore their machines (| I have gone through this thread more than infinite times !!!) !
I bought a Fast Draw a couple of months ago , and after sorting out its mechanical problems I feel competent enough to attempt a full playfield restore. It will need a loooooot of work , as you can see , but I have the dedication to do it , regardless of time needed.
I was going to clean with Naphtha , ME + alcohol , epoxy glue the inserts , Key-lines , eye drop 2PAC into cupped inserts and deep playfield recessions/bare wood , light 2PAC , sand , decals , and final clear. After seeing the color under the posts removed though , I decided that I must airbrush most of the playfield , since trying to remove gray stuff with ME+alcohol is mostly removing paint !
I need some help with that deep line/crack on the top of the playfield. I will sand and shellac before clearing but how should I deal with that crack , especially cosmetically ?
Also the draining ball hole needs to be patched up .. should I use a ring as a mold and fill with a kind of wood epoxy ?
I am sure this is going to keep me busy me for many many nights

_CHA7420.jpg_CHA7420.jpg

_CHA7423.jpg_CHA7423.jpg

_CHA7426.jpg_CHA7426.jpg

_CHA7439.jpg_CHA7439.jpg

_CHA7430.jpg_CHA7430.jpg

_CHA7442.jpg_CHA7442.jpg

_CHA7448.jpg_CHA7448.jpg

_CHA7428.jpg_CHA7428.jpg

_CHA7411.jpg_CHA7411.jpg

_CHA7433 (resized).jpg_CHA7433 (resized).jpg

_CHA7435 (resized).jpg_CHA7435 (resized).jpg

1 month later
#5277 6 years ago

I intend to clear coat my Fast draw as as soon as the weather permits. My question is ... how one can get the playfield , look and behave like a true EM playfield and not a skidding surface of glass ? Wet sanding the final coat with something like 2000 maybe ?

#5280 6 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Don't polish it out all the way.
If you are using Meguiar's Polishing Compounds, stop at #9 Swirl Remover and call it done.
If you ever sell the game, the next owner can polish it all they way to mirror, if he chooses.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-to-ultimate-playfield-restoration/page/27#post-1986492

Thank you
since I am living in Europe, I will have to find alternative brand/products .

1 week later
#5310 6 years ago

I am in the process of restoring my Fast Draw . some of the inserts have gaps , and some others are pretty ugly around the keylines. restoring the keylines is not so easy due to the uneven surface and exposed wood around the inserts.
Should I shoot my first layer of clear and then fix/decal the keylines , or is there an advantage in redrawing the keylines before clearing.

Thank you

#5314 6 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Every playfield is different, but I generally fill the valleys around inserts, and touch up the keylines before clearing.
Always fill cupped inserts first, then do your lockdown coat of clear.

Should I fill them with clear , even if I clear coat the whole playfield after 2 months or so ?

#5320 6 years ago
Quoted from spinal:

Sounds good thanks!
So what lacquer do you recommend? By "tone the wood" do you mean do another process or pick a color of lacquer?

I use lacquer dry flakes dissolved in 96 percent alcohol, or IPA ( isopropyl alcohol ) (about 1 part flakes to 4 parts alcohol ) and get the desired tone by repeating passes of the mixture on the wood surface .

3 weeks later
#5401 6 years ago

I am about to airbrush a large amount of area on my Fast Draw playfield with createx sky-blue opaque after I apply the first coat of 2pac. There are small areas with bare wood , that have been covered with 2pac and sanded smooth . Since sky-blue seems to be not covering so effectively like red or blue , I am considering putting a light coat of white on all the area to be painted , before airbrushing the sky-blue. Is that a common technique , and also is white a good choice , or a light coat of grey is more suitable for colors that do not cover so effectively.

#5403 6 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Lighter colors usually need a thin primer coat so the top color looks true.
Especially fluorescent colors, they always need a white undercoat.

So I guess I will go with a very light coat of white.

Thank you Vid .

#5423 6 years ago

I shot my first coat of 2pac ( one light coat and a second full coat , 15 minutes apart ) and I am getting ready to paint/airbrush most of this Fast Draw playfield. I am a newbie so I was a bit reluctant with the spray gun and I guess my attempt in clear coating resulted in a not so heavy coat and orange peel.
After 24 hours and wet sanding with 400 grit , the playfield looks nice , but the small pits that were all over the place are still there. Maybe a little less prominent though. I will not get a good weather to attempt another coat , so would it be ok if I would go ahead and do my touch ups hoping that the second 2pac coating attempt will cover them ? or must I wait another 2 months for better weather to lay another coat and try to fill those pits ?

Thanks in advance everyone that helps people like me with no experience in playfield restoration and especially Vid that opened my eyes on that subject

_DSF5672 (resized).JPG_DSF5672 (resized).JPG

_DSF5674 (resized).JPG_DSF5674 (resized).JPG

#5425 6 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

You can drip some 2pac into the pits, or just go ahead and paint.
The next coat of clear will fix it.

I will go with the middle road then . Fill the major pits with a 2pac soaked toothpick , sand , and paint.

Thanks Vid !

#5435 6 years ago
Quoted from sethbenjamin:

Lacquer isn't sold in flakes, that's shellac. Shellac has its place, but don't use it here.

My bad .. sometimes I mix up my words .
Shellac is not so durable and hard as lacquer , but I like the way the color deepens with repeating applications giving the desired tone , and the fact that is a natural product.

1 month later
#5542 6 years ago
Quoted from northerndude:

Is there a quick answer to this? If I lay a few layers of clear over a PF, do I wait the week or some time-line before I sand it down, There would be another day of clearing again, then sanding, polishing later, but in short - how long after spraying before sanding happens?

It usually depends on the type of clear and the temperature of the place you keep the play field . Under normal conditions ( 20 Celsius ) you could sand after 12 hours or so . This is from personal experience, while others might have a different opinion.

#5544 6 years ago
Quoted from Raff:

What size are the inserts used on gottlieb 1970 em machines i want to order them but see there are a few different sizes im after the round inserts on quick draw

I am restoring my Fast Draw and I have created all the keylines ... will be uploading files as soon as I get home

#5545 6 years ago
Quoted from Raff:

What size are the inserts used on gottlieb 1970 em machines i want to order them but see there are a few different sizes im after the round inserts on quick draw

Quoted from phototamer:

I am restoring my Fast Draw and I have created all the keylines ... will be uploading files as soon as I get home

Opps .. I did read Raffs post in a harry ...! Will measure the inserts and report back then

#5547 6 years ago

Here are the Fast Draw / Quick Draw Keylines .
Will be starting a topic on Fast Draw playfield restoration really soon

Charles

Key-Lines- (resized).jpgKey-Lines- (resized).jpg

1 week later
#5579 6 years ago
Quoted from tomds:

Just a quick question re black key lines, would you use waterslide decals for the black lines around the purple box in picture below? Could this be done with an airbrush and if so how?

The black lines around the purple box look fine to me.
if you need to address the small lower right part , then using 2 pieces of pinstripe to define the black line and painting some black acrylic paint in the gap would do the trick. At least , that is what I do , with perfect results.
If you are referring to the circle keylines inside the purple box , then waterslide decals must be the way .

Charles

#5583 6 years ago
Quoted from pinheadpierre:

Seems to me like pinstripe tape would create a raised line that would affect the direction of a slow moving ball, or am I mistaken? I have been masking keylines and airbrushing them.

I am using Createx opaque black and no raised edge is left. If however you need to address a raised edge , then light sanding with a 600 grit sandpaper along the edges will remove any ridge.
This works very good with Createx paint after it is heat cured .

1 month later
#5646 6 years ago

While restoring my Fast Draw , I had to airbrush all the light blue. First I airbrushed the area with white and then I proceeded in airbrushing the final "sky blue" color. I would knock off the painted edge with #800 sandpaper but I am afraid that in doing so will probably partially reveal some of the white color under the light blue. I will do another 2 clear coats . one to add the keylines and miscellaneous decals , and another one that should be my final coat.
My question is ... will the edge even out with the 2 clear coats with wet sanding in b2in ?
my other option is to hide the white by touching up with light blue by hand. a PITA but ..if I have to...!

#5648 6 years ago

Thank you Vid , that makes feel much better and saves me a lot of trouble. After frisketing the whole playfield and especially the 2 sherifs , I guess i have run out of patience

#5657 6 years ago

Reading this thread , or better “Bible” , on Playfield restoration the recommended stages of finishing the final clear coat is , after final 1500/2000 sanding , buffing with medium cut followed by swirl remover and , if mirror finish required , finishing with machine glaze. Could Novus 2 or Novus 3 or something similar one can buy in Europe replace the medium cut step if Meguiars products cannot be obtained ?

Charles

1 week later
#5693 5 years ago
Quoted from tomds:

HELP!!!
Over the last few days I have spent hours masking off areas on a playfield and today I sprayed. I used createx paints and original low tack frisket. When I began removing the frisket it pulled up the edges of the painted areas making them look rubbish.
I even tried scoring the edges with an x-acto but it wasn’t much better. I have now removed all the paint for round 2. I really don’t want a round 3...
What have I done wrong here? Please help!

Fred736 remarks are spot on. Additionally to multiple light layers with heating inb2in, I also dilute the paint with its own reduser , sometimes up to 50 percent and that makes the paint rock solid . Even removing frisket vertically does not lift the paint !

#5714 5 years ago
Quoted from pinheadpierre:

I agree that it is not fully cured. It has a decent shine, but I would not describe it as a mirror finish. I had chalked that up to lack of polishing experience but now it seems like it not being fully cured is probably the real issue. Here is what it looks like:

I can barely smell the distinct clearcoat solvent stink but there is a faint whiff there if I press my nose right up onto it.
As for measuring, I use these little disposable medicine cups:

I fill it to the top 4x for the body and once for the catalyst. I have been careful about temperature. Our weather has been a tad too cold for this stuff, so I've been heating the workshop up with the woodstove and getting everything up to 70-75 degrees. I measure ambient temperature with the thermostat for my wall mounted a/c unit and surface temp of the playfield and clearcoat containers (which I agitate regularly to try to ensure that the clear in the container is the same as the container itself) with an infrared spot gun.
I am starting to wonder, though, about temperature fluctuations 6-8 hours and beyond after application. I do not keep the workshop at a steady temperature since the wood stove is the only heat source. I wonder if the fact that later on in the curing process the temperatures range from 50-60 at night to 70ish in the daytime is slowing down the full cure too much?
Now that I am once again depopulating the topside, I can see that it is the posts that were smaller in diameter at their base and star posts that had significant band tension on them that caused the worst of the clearcoat damage. That said, even standard star posts with no tension left ring marks in the clear. Here are a couple more examples:

I am no longer intent on trying to salvage this without shooting another layer or two of clear to repair it. It seems like the bad wrinkles probably need to be cut out and the area filled with eyedropper applications of clear, block sanded and cleared again? And what about the areas that just have halos from slight lifting of the clear? I have no clue how best to approach those.

how did you apply the clearcoat ? , 2 or 3 light layers with 5-15 minutes inb2in ? or maybe you applied too much of a clear resulting in a thick layer ?

#5724 5 years ago

This is waaaay too thick for sure !! I use approximately 180 - 200 ml for the whole clear coat process ( 1 light and + 1 wet )

#5739 5 years ago
Quoted from Dantesmark:

Hi guys!
I have a wh2o with some planking and raised inserts w minimal paint loss.
My goal is to clean it up as best possible and put a playfield protector on it to prevent future wear and tear.
My question is what is the best way to get this grime out of the planking cracks?
I took one of the cracks and used novus 2 w a magic eraser... which helped a little but not enough.
I do have some namptha i could try, but was curious on suggestions.
Thx guys! U rock!

Vid is , as usual , right . You could try some white paint in the cracks first . This way the actual final color will cover the imperfections much better .

3 weeks later
#5797 5 years ago

Trying to restore my Fast Draw drops targets . I printed the decals and , after erasing the original deteriorated ones , I applied then as best as I could.
I intend to use some of the 2PAC from my final coat of the playfield to do the Apron and decals.
Would the clear withstand the ball pounding , or should I cover the drop card faces with mylar ?
_DSF6198 (resized).JPG_DSF6198 (resized).JPG_DSF6200 (resized).JPG_DSF6200 (resized).JPG_DSF6202 (resized).JPG_DSF6202 (resized).JPG_DSF3158 (resized).JPG_DSF3158 (resized).JPG_DSF5628 (resized).JPG_DSF5628 (resized).JPG_DSF5629 (resized).JPG_DSF5629 (resized).JPG

#5799 5 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Flex and deformation = death for clear adhesion.
Just mylar them. If they are flat, you'll never even see it in the game. Mylar over hot-stamped targets will usually see some gapping.
But PBR has fast draw targets regardless... why go through this work to strip, print, etc?

Getting them from abroad would set me back 80 dollars , with shipping !
It is not only the money , but the pleasure of seeing ones work in action
Given your explanation , Mylar looks a better option ... I guess.

2 weeks later
#5819 5 years ago
Quoted from McSquid:

Anyone have any tips for color matching with waterslide decals when you don't have a scan of your exact PF? I've been able to match the whites on my aged Bally playboy pretty well, but I'm struggling with the blue. It seems like no matter what I print it's just... Off. I'm not trying to get it perfect, just close enough that it's not obviously a different color from the blue 3 inches away.

Quoted from BJM-Maxx:

Are you printing the blue? CMYK printing is pretty narrow in the range of blues you can achieve. The tend towards purple no matter what you try.

This requires basic Photoshop or similar program skills. I had the same problem with my Fast Draw red color. I took a picture of the playfield in natural light (not a scan) and imported in Photoshop. I then tried to get as close as I could with the Red by comparing the colors on screen (you can also pick the color value from the imported image and create the same color). Having that as a Base I created 5 lighter and 5 darker shades and printed a test Decal sheet. After cutting and looking them side by side on the Playfield I got an exact match and printed all the rest of the Red decals according to the match.

1 week later
#5844 5 years ago
Quoted from Silverstreak02:What do I use to thin Createx paint? It is too thick to work in my Molotow paint pen.

Better use their own reduser. I use the 4012 - High Performance Reducer with the Opaque series of createx up to 1to 1 ratio with fine results.
If your paint gun is 0.7 ( as it says on the specs ) then you should have no problem shooting the paint undiluted. You may need more pressure from your compressor (40 psi maybe )

#5853 5 years ago
Quoted from mark532011:

Just a question about colors. There are lots of posts about matching colors - which makes sense, but when repainting (rather than touchups) a color, is it better to try and match the (presumably) faded color or go with something more vibrant?

Try and get yourself an original flyer of your game. it is not only the colors themselves but also the relation between them. The flyer shows the game as it came out of the factory.

1 month later
#5911 5 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

so it does not scratch your balls.

No prob if your balls are made of steel ...... !

1 week later
#5928 5 years ago
Quoted from wolffcub:

Have any good tips for doing the very thin black outlines around everything when completely repainting a play field ?

For relatively straight lines and absolutely straight lines I use auto pinstripe ( 2 lines of pinstrip with the damaged black line exposed in the middle ) . Paint with createx , heat dry and clear over. For curves and circles I use a collection of French curves and circle templates , defining the lines with a pencil and very carefully paint the lines with a 10 zero brush . Works beautifully

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fast-draw-playfield-restoration-first-ever-attempt-#post-4468410

2 weeks later
#5978 5 years ago
Quoted from sethbenjamin:

Got my F-14 ready for final clear today.
A word on waterslide decals: I had to make several attempts to get decals that were anywhere near dark enough from my local print shop. Possibly a hoby shop would be better for this, as they might "get" what you're after more immediately.
One way you can go is to have your decals run through the printer *twice* to bump up the opacity, which worksa dn results in a blacker decal, but you can get very minor misalignment on the second printing. As a chronic obsessive, I am of course now wondering if I should have used the double printed sheet I had rather than the single printed one, but screw it, I'm committed now.
Next time I may just have to invest in a better laser printer at home. Sucks to have to run around and waste decal paper trying to get something very specific from a printer that isn't really about this sort of thing. No slam on the people at the shop, it's just an unusual request which falls outside the realm of what they typically do.
Vid has posted tons of good pics of F-14 restoration, but I'm posting these as an illustration of why you don't need to worry too much about what the immediate outline around your inserts looks like. The keylining is fat and will cover the rough edge/paint loss.[quoted image][quoted image]

In a similar situation I slapped another decal on top , and got a really deep opaque black .
You will have to apply a thicker layer of 2pac ( 2 subsequent layers) afterwards and sand down to take care of the raised decals.

1 month later
#6049 5 years ago

after no smell comes out , give it another 1 or 2 weeks. Better safe than sorry

1 month later
#6161 5 years ago

I already asked this one on another thread but since I got no answer I thought I will try my luck here too
I am about to fully restore my newly acquired Surf champ. I already restored a Fast draw (https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fast-draw-playfield-restoration-first-ever-attempt-/page/2#post-4481363 ) and it seems to me that the colors of both playfields are identical. This would make things super easy for me , because it took me a while to nail the Colors of Fast draw using createx paints which I have in stock. Anyone having both pins with original paint , or knowing Gottliebs choice of colors for these 2 pins , could chime in and advice on this.
Thanx in advance !

#6163 5 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

It could well be.
There is a 70s "Gottlieb Purple" that is used in a lot of machines...I always keep a premixed bottle of it because it takes a while to match.

I compared flyers of both games , and also looked really carefully at images of well kept playfields . It seems that Gottlieb used the same color palette for those 2 titles. Red , Yellow and blue are definitely the same. So I guess the remaining color , light blue ( Sky blue ) , would be the same too.

#6176 5 years ago
Quoted from redrock:

I removed a lot from the top but I'm reluctant to removed all the components from the bottom. I feel that the wires and solder connects are fragile, and I would have to unsolder the bare, silver common wires stapled to the board. I could unscrew all the components and slide a thin plywood under the components and pull all out as a unit, or maybe with a frame use a blanket to lower all the components a few inches as a unit.
It's the non-mechanical front that gives me pause. The inserts are cupped a little but are available so I can handle them. With no experience in airbrushing -- and the one-time expense -- I think using a paint brush might be easier for me. I just don't know there to start. And again, I keep questioning if a first thin clear coat before work is done is the way to go. And there are so many clear coats referenced; the SprayMax can sure looks the easiest for someone without experience.
Probably unlike most of the posts that I have read, I'm retired and need projects to do; if it takes a year and I paint everything by hand, OK. So it's not the time, but is cost. Where so I start?!
[quoted image]

No need to remove anything from the bottom, unless you want to clean and wash everything.
I made a case that fits the playfield like a glove and it was used in restoring my fast draw. I now use it to restore my surf champ.
You can do everything by hand , but an airbrush is a big help for painting big surfaces.

20181109_142637 (resized).jpg20181109_142637 (resized).jpg20181109_142712 (resized).jpg20181109_142712 (resized).jpg20181109_142728 (resized).jpg20181109_142728 (resized).jpg
#6178 5 years ago
Quoted from dasvis:

Nice, I was thinking of making a similar fixture for bare playfield transport & storage. The backside is so delicate that it only makes sense.

The one I build is without a bottom and if the whole contraption can be made to rotate , it can be easily converted to a rotisserie. So you get a Playfield support for touch ups and clearcoat, transportation box ( if you add a removable bottom ) , and a rotisserie .

1 month later
#6231 5 years ago
Quoted from pzy:

Any recommendations for fixing this bit of wear on a Tee'd Off?[quoted image]

Looks that the damage is level with the rest of the Playfield so , I would try to match the red with an acrylic paint , preferably Createx , and paint the area , including the undamaged one that touches the bare wood , with multiple thin layers of paint with heat in b2in. Then apply an oval shaped thin piece of Mylar and no one would notice that it is touched up. If the damage is recessed in a way that affects the ball travel then you would have to bring the bare wood area level with the rest of the Playfield either with some kind of bondo or , if you have acces , with some drops of clear coat before painting and applying Mylar over it. Of course there are others more experienced in this and their approach may be better than mine .

2 weeks later
#6282 5 years ago
Quoted from red_sox_papi:

They seem to be completely circular. It's very hard to tell since they are so small. I attached a couple more pictures that have better focus.
I rubbed a small amount of naphtha under the apron and they are not noticeable with naphtha on them.[quoted image][quoted image]

Probably bubbles , by not giving enough time to cure before applying subsequent , thick , coats.

#6291 5 years ago
Quoted from yellowghost:

Vid. Do you reckon I should use wood filler or a two component epoxy to repair this damage? And speaking of two component epoxies. Jb weld and others sell them but It appears that they are meant to be used as adhesives,not fillers but it does it matter once their dry?
Thanks
[quoted image]

I found Vids proposal fine for any damage regarding a playfield !
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-to-ultimate-playfield-restoration/page/10#post-1119649

3 months later
#6509 5 years ago
Quoted from ktownhero:

How do you all feel about bothering to preserve key lines around light sockets that are hidden once the playfield is assembled anyway? I noticed on my JOKERZ! that the majority, if not all, are not visible once assembled and they are all misaligned from the factory anyway lol. Just ignoring them could save me a good bit of time cutting frisket, but is that lame?

Well , in my case I try to preserve any original line and/or detail hidden or not. I feel that I need to respect and preserve the playfield as much as possible regardless of time and hours spend in restoring it.
Of course others might feel differently .

#6510 5 years ago
Quoted from wolffcub:

The original playfield would just flake if you ran your finger across it and the inserts were so bad. The upper inserts at times could actually hold the ball in them and a few were melted and distorted due to the bulbs being pushed right up and touching them.
This go around was a breeze with masking and painting as after first bar sanding, fixing the planking areas using my wacky CA glue idea I cleared everything with 2k prior to paint. Nothing on this project lifted or peeled during masking even when I was aggressive with it. After base colours were done I locked it in with more clear then moved onto black then more clear, then final then clear, then noticed I forgot his eyes so more airbrush work and then FINAL clear. Got some contaminants in the 3000grit sand and it scored the clear in a few spots. I hope it will not be noticeable after is all back together as I have a gun to my head to finish it. I also would like to add more black accents to the blue and magenta coloured areas so that will be a good time to do so and then re clear again in the future.
My repaint of the Lectronamo in August of last year taught me a lot about prep work I never did correctly. This time around with the CA fix and the clear prior to painting things went perfect. This time around I tried something a little different with filling any low spots with clear. Instead of just applying it to just the low spots and letting it dry then sanding, I applied clear with a dropper, waited 15 min then gave the field a spray wait the 15 min flash time then another good coat. The coats over the dropper areas actually blended themselves outward very well and sanding them down after was very minimal. [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Comparing the original lettering with the final outcome , the letters and labels differ a lot . was that intentional ?

1 month later
#6625 4 years ago
Quoted from harryhoudini:

So, I've been tempted with the restore of my JP playfield (following the guides here, doing waterslide decals, paint touchups and clearing) to also clear my TOM playfield. I am restoring it using the decals which are sold (for the main illusion area and for a few inserts). Can I just lay down a coat of clear, add the decals and then add a few more coats over that? I am envisioning just like the waterslide decals.

you should rough up the previous coat of clear , and then apply the decals.
After that a light coat of cleat to set the decals followed by another 1 or 2 heavier coats would do the trick.

#6627 4 years ago

wrong post

#6653 4 years ago

Ok, so what are the possibilities that I can clear my TOM playfield without removing the under playfield elements?
I was thinking maybe I could plug up all of the holes (switch slots, lamp sockets) but still would be worried about water from wet sanding getting down there (and polish from buffing). Is this just a bad idea? If I was doing a playfield swap I'd be less hesitant in removing all of the assemblies as I have no problem putting it back together but I know I'll have some wire cutting to do and I really don't want to deal with re-soldering it all back together. I was trying to do a "quickie" restore with the playfield decals and a playfield protector but my work on the JP playfield has me jonesing for a freshly cleared TOM playfield. Then again, Mirco is supposed to be making the right colored ones for the US market soon. Argh, the decisions.

Plugging the holes will be just fine. After all you just mist the playfield and your sandpaper , you dont flood the place.
Just make sure you clear the residue from sanding from the holes before any subsequent clear coat.

3 weeks later
#6689 4 years ago

How would you treat this large of an insert area? I have a large decal to apply to the whole area, so there will presumably be sunken areas where the inserts are. I wasn't sure if in this case it would be prudent to try and raise the inserts level? Or should I hit the area with a coat of clear first so it can level itself a bit, then apply decal, then clear the whole thing? Or maybe I should drop a bit of clear in each insert to level it and smooth it out?
I had this situation a bit on my JP (first time using waterslide) and overall the lower areas smoothed themselves out pretty well after a few thick coats of Spray Max.
Open to suggestions. Btw, this was sanded to about a 300 grit and then I'm going to do 600 to get it smooth.
The other inserts on the game are fine since the decals are just the insert area.[quoted image]

Judging by the image you posted , you can get the inserts level with the rest of the playfield without moving them.
I would fill the low inserts with clear and after 15 minutes or so apply my first clear coat. after wet sanding , and applying the decals , and another coat of clear you should be very close to a truly flat playfield.

#6702 4 years ago
Quoted from mark532011:

I am looking for ideas on my Target Pool. When I stripped the pf, I noticed almost every hole is bulged up, in some cases, splintered a bit. I don't see an easy way to put down a layer of clear and sand it smooth when there are dozens of "hills" - if I hammer them in, will they stay? I don't see any easy way to cut the top off without messing up the graphics around them.[quoted image][quoted image]

Hammer them in , they will stay down .
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-to-ultimate-playfield-restoration/page/20#post-1802904

1 week later
#6707 4 years ago
Quoted from Gott1978:

Can I use mineral spirits instead of naphtha?
Can I use plastic syringes instead of glass eyedroppers for the 2PAC?
Thanks.

Plastic syringes are ok but you have better control with a glass or plastic eyedropper .
Naphtha is a proven and trusted medium to use on a playfield. I may be wrong but Mineral spirits may contain some percentage of water which is not desirable.

2 weeks later
#6723 4 years ago
Quoted from D-Gottlieb:

I finished the clear! Here is a YouTube of the result.

Really fine !

4 weeks later
#6740 4 years ago
Quoted from bssbllr:

Not sure about timing too. The body shops use the same clear coat but the cars don’t sit there for 30-90 days. They are painted and handed over to the customer. I do believe they tell the customer not to wash it for sometime but not sure.

The coat on car is very thin , unlike the thick coat we apply on a playfield. Maybe this the reason that the clearcoat on a playfield takes longer to cure completely.

#6743 4 years ago

Quoted from " global finishing solutions " " ....paint booth must be a minimum of 55 degrees Fahrenheit for automotive paint with a catalyst to dry. For paint booths with an air heater, the rule of thumb in the automotive industry is that for every 15 degrees above 70 degrees, a coating will cure about twice as fast (assuming 50 percent relative humidity). Likewise, for every 15 degrees below 70 degrees, a coating will take about twice as long to cure...." also from personal experience the thicker the coat the longer it takes to cure .

2 months later
#6781 4 years ago
Quoted from vipe155:

I've thought about it and I suppose this would be the best thing for me anyway. I have to decal a few inserts as well, and this way I can lay down that initial layer of clear I needed to apply the decals and wait to do the touchups then as well.

This is the safest way to proceed . Lightly sanding the playfield and using naphtha to remove any trace of oils will make sure that the subsequent initial clear coat adheres well.

Places that are bare wood and deep gouges can be filed with clear. If you fill them with bondo you will need to clear over that area before painting.

Other than that , if you are using light colors , is better to use white as the base before applying them so as to easily achieve good and uniform coverage with correct colors.

Airbrush is preferable , especially for large single color areas , but you can also use hand brushes with great results. Whatever you use , multiple thin coats is the way to go.

#6795 4 years ago
Quoted from Islote:

Hi there, I'm new to pinball, just bought a Twilight zone.
It has some cracks next to the insert as you can see in the picture, and I don't know what would be the best way to fix it, as there is a colour gradient there. Luckily, apart from that, it is in really good shape having no worn parts next to the ball entrys. I know the crack is in a place next to the back of the playfield and is hidden by the clock, so you wouldn't see it during regular gameplay, and it's a really small thing, but I would prefer to fix it. As I know it's there, I notice it is there easily.
Thank you![quoted image]

Cut and put a small piece of mylar over it and forget it. It will stay like this for the rest of its life.
If you want to properly restore it , then you are looking for a complete playfield tear down , plus skill and time.

1 month later
#6817 4 years ago
Quoted from scampcamp:

Sorry if this has been asked...
Where is Vid1900 ? Is he ok? Is he using a different user name?

We exchanged emails some months back .
He is fine doing what he does best , restoring pinballs.

#6819 4 years ago
Quoted from mrm_4:

I hate to ask but I think I’ve looked this thread over and others and can’t get a clear answer.
I’m going to lay down a coat of clear so I can put down water decals over inserts. (Key lines and numbers)
I cant seem to find direction on if the base layer should be sanded level prior to applying the waterslides. And if so:
What grit?
Does the sanded clearcoat appear clear after the decal is applied?
I guess my fear is having a cloudy layer of sanded clearcoat under the clear parts of the decal on an insert.
If any post or other threads exist feel free to link or just let me know your experiences.
Thanks everyone

Leveling the playfield is mandatory before applying waterslide decals. if you apply the decals and then apply clear and try to level things up the decals will most probably be exposed and destroyed with sanding.

you can use a grit around 400 to 500 before every next layer of clear. decals will stick ok .

The underlying sanded clear-coat appears clear after the decal is applied and a subsequend layer of clear is also applied.
The decal in fact "melts" and all is left is the toner sandwiched b2in the 2 layers of clear-coat.
This is the reason that when applying clear-coat over decals you should go very light on the first coat , so as not to disrupt the integrity of the decals.

#6822 4 years ago
Quoted from mark532011:

I recommend more than one light coat. I put 3 light coats of clear on, then when I did a heavy coat it crinkled up, from the heat generated I guess[quoted image]

I did 3 playfields and nothing like this ever happened. Maybe a certain type of clear is not compatible with a certain type of decal.
Did you allow the recommended flash time before applying subsequent clear coats ?

3 months later
#6884 4 years ago
Quoted from gawlicd:

Is there rule if thumb for which color to lay down first while airbrushing with stencils on a complete playfield repaint. For example, should I paint whole area with white first then work my way to black last?

You should do pure white last , as it tends to get dirty while you work on the rest of the colors. Also , If you are going to apply a light color , for example yellow , then applying a light coat of white before applying the yellow , will make the final color more consistent and vibrant.

1 month later
#6916 3 years ago
Quoted from mark532011:

I've been restoring my Miss-O playfield. So far its been going great, I scanned in the playfield, created paint masks and have been painting the various colors. I used createx paints right from the bottle as so far I have been doing primary colors - red, yellow and white. I decided to lay down a thin coat of clear (rustoleum crystal clear enamel) to lock in the paint so I don't lift it while masking other areas.
Thats when disaster happened, for some reason the white reacted and it now looks like this. you can see the red and yellow areas had no trouble. Does anyone know why it would have happened, what I can do to fix it and how to prevent it in the future? The white was not the last color laid down, is it a bad bottle or something?[quoted image]

Something in the white paint is reacting with the restoleum clear. This could happen if you either did not let the paint to dry long enough , and/or you did not set it with heat. Createx needs to be heated to set. Other than that you may have a paint / clear incompatibility. I am using createx paints , with 2 part auto clear and had zero problems so far.
To correct this , and if you cannot use something other than restoleum , wet sand the playfield and see how things look. If white areas are ok then re apply another coat of clear. Other wise , re-coat the white areas with multiple thin layers of paint setting each layer with heat. Leave the playfield alone for a week and reapply clear.

1 week later
#6958 3 years ago
Quoted from BJM-Maxx:

Great summary. Would you mind mentioning your actual paint process? What kind of paint and or gun you use (thinking of the artwork, not the clearing process).

In agreement with everything mentioned above , plus Paint will be smoother and have better adhesion if dilution is more generous than the 10 to 25 percent that createx suggests for their opaque line of colors. I will go to 50 percent dilution with 4011 reducer
And apply multiple layers with a fairly large tip size airbrush. Createx opaque can of course be sprayed out of the bottle , but you need a high psi ( at least 45 ) and good compressor.

#6960 3 years ago
Quoted from Fred736:

I must admit I have never used dilution. Cant remember why. I kinda may recall reading or hearing something about losing adhesion. But you seem to say it will help it. Odd... I'll take it that this is what you have been doing and it works for you. I'll give it a try for sure.
Does that much dilution affect color and opacity of the paint?

Color is unaffected but Obviously you need more layers to get to the final result , and your compressor can do it in lower psi. Adhesion is improved .
It is there in Createx latest data sheet .

https://creatextech.com/pdf/tds/Createx-Airbrush-Colors-TDS.pdf

3 weeks later
#6973 3 years ago
Quoted from jaybird5619:

Fred736: Thanks for the great advice. Unfortunately, I can't get going on my project until I can buy a respirator ... talk about bad timing!
I'm freaking over key lines. QUESTION: Where you have two colors separated by a key line, do you butt the two colors together and key line over where they touch, or do you leave a small gap and key line over that?

For straight keylines You can apply the key line with pinstripe and then use a ruler ( preferably hard plastic) and a xacto straight blade to bring everything absolutely straight and clean. You lay the ruler along the edge of the key line and with the xacto blade you carefully scrap along the ruler making the line perfect ( I use number 3 shortsighted glasses for this) . Of course the colored areas that the key line touches should preferably be under clear coat .
If not then clearcoating after the keylines And using frisket , you can do the colored areas .

4 weeks later
#6996 3 years ago
Quoted from CryptKeeperAUS:

Thankyou. I'm in the process of my first proper restore with this one. I will cut about a 1mm or so then. Paint touch up on the bare wood then clear. It's a small area so im hopeful to get away with careful fine brush as opposed to fine spraygun.

Painting directly on bare wood is not the best way to go. in your case since the area to be painted is very small , then most probably things will be ok. It would be better though , after you cut away flaking paint , to give the paint a stable base by first applying a "locking" layer of clear on all the playfield , block-wet sand , do your touch ups , and then reapply your final clear coat.
In this way the touch ups are permanently locked b2in the layers of clear.

#7004 3 years ago

Sorry for the dumb question but I have to ask, is dulling of the playfield area when using a magic eraser (melamine) normal or a sign you have almost removed the paintwork? I have been working on some areas to remove general marks and some cracking lines full of dirt in readiness for clear coating. Shellite did an OK job for a general clean but some areas have only responded to melamine and rubbing alcohol. Having read a few other forums I was cautions and expecting the paint to be removed after a few rubs but it is taking a lot more than that just to make an impact on my playfield but noticing the areas are dulling a bit. Color is still OK when wet with some isopropyl so I'm hopeful I have not ruined anything but unsure if I should keep going on these areas or not.
Thanks.
[quoted image][quoted image]

If you start seeing color on your ME piece , then you have gone too far.

2 weeks later
#7021 3 years ago
Quoted from Boslaw:

Looking for advice on best course of action to repair the gouges/missing wood in this bare wood section of my playfield. I'm guessing the only option is to fill with wood putty and paint with wood tone but happy to hear other suggestions. My after pic is after I touched up with wood tone paint. I've still got a bit of a wood look but I'm afraid putty and more paint will ruin the look.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Bare wood looks good. How are you going to proceed with the rest of the missing artwork ?

#7037 3 years ago
Quoted from Mathazar:

Thanx, gents. I'll give it a go with a round of lower grit sanding tomorrow.

Applying clear now , will be much easier to get level with block sand. So first clear and THEN block sand.

2 weeks later
#7046 3 years ago
Quoted from radial_head:

Looks great Benjamin. You do great work. Shooter lane looks great too.
I'm curious if it's been discussed anywhere in this thread how to get out the fade surrounding the flippers?

You could try to darken the questioned area with multiple , light , layers of shellac. I did this on one of my restorations and you have to look for the touch up.
With a weak solution of shellac you can get to the desired tone with precision.

#7047 3 years ago

Fine work Benjamin ! Lots of love there !!

1 week later
#7064 3 years ago
Quoted from Dono:

Posting this here since no one has heard of this poly ...
Anyone have experience with this water based poly from Crystalac? Looking for something a bit more clear/durable than traditional polys and lacquers. Yes, I'm well aware of auto-clears, but I'm not interested in hearing about the pros and cons of those products, since I won't be using them on my EM games I'm looking to clear due to health reasons and no local clear coat guys in my area...
Originally created for the luthier trade, but their products have branched out:
http://www.crystalac.info/extreme-protection-polyurethane.html

It is polyurethane based , single part. I used a similar product that was for wooden floors. The description , prep and drying times was the same as the one you mentioned.
I used it on my first ever restoration. It tends to yellow a bit with time , at least mine did after 2 years . Not much but it was noticeable. Other than that if you do it properly and apply enough layers you will not have problems regarding protection. If you later have the option to apply 2pac , it can be probably removed with aceton .

3 weeks later
#7084 3 years ago
Quoted from hisokajp:

So I have a repro gold PF from CPR which at a big glow of glue? behind one of the insert. I tried cleaning it out with a Qtip and alcohol but it just spread it around. It all stuck and dried out now...
I am not sure how to clean that out without damaging it? I can't imagine the insert needs to be swapped and the whole thing recleared... right?
[quoted image]

try acetone to clean as much as you can ,scrub away the glue with a Dremel or manually, clean with naphtha , Partially fill the bottom with some clear.

1 month later
#7115 3 years ago

Other than a full restore ( including applying clear ), fixing minor problems and reapplying Mylar looks the way to go.

#7129 3 years ago

Well .. that's a very welcome surprise !! Very happy to see back the Person that gives life and spice to this site !!
Hope your stay will be a long one. Take care big man

1 month later
#7206 3 years ago
Quoted from Silverstreak02:

I plan to start this Around the World playfield. Normally I leave the unpainted wood alone. This time I would like to hide the ugly ball track. The wear isn’t deep, just nasty looking. What can I do to make this look better?[quoted image][quoted image]

I had a similar problem and used shellac in alcohol. The nice thing about using shellac is that you can build the right shade gradually.

#7216 3 years ago
Quoted from Wyomingballer:

Good morning, I am new the the pinball world of repair and restore. I recently picked up a world champ (it is in bad shape) and was told to use Millwax to clean up the playfield. I was thinking on clear coating the play field to help with the paint flaking. Now Finding this guide I feel like I have went in the wrong direction. The Millwax has filled in the cracks and has turned white. Now will I be able to clear the field after using Millwax?

I would use naphtha on a clean rug to clean the whole playfield along with a careful use of soft toothbrush to try and remove as much mill wax from the cracks.
Naphtha is safe to use and will probably remove most of the mill wax from the playfield.

2 weeks later
#7241 3 years ago
Quoted from dr_nybble:

Suggestions on addressing minor wear? There’s not much surface to adhere to. It would be painted and cleared after.
[quoted image]

I would mask the surrounding good painted area with the black lines as my boundaries. roughen up the are to be prepared ( maybe drill small holes with a Dremel) . Use 2 part filler holding a straight edge on the inside of the hole. Smooth the filler before it gets super hard , paint to match , clear.

1 month later
#7332 3 years ago
Quoted from mark532011:

if I am touching up areas of paint, what is the consensus on "mistakes"? For example, on this Ice Revue, the clowns red shirt is outside the lines. Is that deliberate by the artist and should be replicated? Is that a printing error and should be corrected? If you asked the artist would they want it cleaned up?
[quoted image]

If you are touching up , small areas , then , of course leave as it is. If you are doing a total playfield repaint , is easier to correct the mistakes along the way. Recreating a mistake would , in my opinion , make things worse.

5 months later
#7650 2 years ago
Quoted from RightNut:

After applying touch up paint (either via an airbrush or otherwise), do you need to lightly sand/degloss the paint before applying the next coat of clear?
Thank you.

As the others mentioned no need to sand/degloss paint unless you have raised paintwork edges.
So .. clean the playfield as much as you can trying not to remove original artwork. apply clear to protect what is there , block sand.
After that ...
make corrections with paint , airbrush or otherwise. If you are also applying decals or anything other than paint , is strongly preferable to apply them directly on clear and not on paint. if you need to apply them on any areas that are painted , then put another coat of clear , block sand and then apply decals etc..

Applying thin layers of clear between corrective steps , safeguards your progress , and gives you the chance to correct possible mistakes on that step because your previous work is protected under a layer of clear.
The most layers of clear that I applied on single playfield was 4. In my opinion you should organize your corrective steps so as to use the minimal number of clear coats. Some feel that a large number of clear coats will make the corrections on the top layer look like floating. But with thin layers I think that this is undetectable.

#7662 2 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Fandango:

Great tips!
So you apply the decals on sanded clear?
Would it not look cloudy under the decal ?

From my experience, the applied clear melts the decal leaving just the ink.
In my opinion Even if the underlying clear coat is sanded , the area under the decal would be shiny since the applied clear coat is in direct contact with the underlying one.
Not 100 percent sure when the decal has white color as a base.
Unless others have experienced different results.

1 month later
#7691 2 years ago
Quoted from joshmc:

Also, do I need to do the 400, 800, 1000, 1200 grit wet sand between clear coats? People talk about doing this in order for the paint to adhere better. I was thinking of clearcoating then airbrushing (one colour at a time) then a light sand then clear coat. Is that the best approach?

400 grit wet sand , works fine b2in clear coats. If the playfield is already level 600 grit is also ok.
You can go to 1200 1500 2000 on your final coat.

#7692 2 years ago
Quoted from joshmc:

I was going to leave the keylines until AFTER I had completed the major artwork. In terms of the keylines themselves, I'm not sure how to go about it. They're so fine, I cant imagine masking it up and doing it with an airbrush. How do people go about this?

In a similar situation I create keylines in photoshop ( you can use any other free program ) and print them On clear decal. I apply them before the final clear coat.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/surf-champ-slow-playfield-restoration#post-4720479
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/surf-champ-slow-playfield-restoration/page/3#post-5194018

1 month later
#7725 2 years ago
Quoted from shirkle:

I’m in the process of a slight restoration and clearcoat of a Revenge From Mars.
Removing the mylar went perfectly except one insert where the art completely pulled away from the playfield. I saved the insert art (it pulled from the playfield, but didn’t stick to the mylar!) even though it’s in 3 pieces now.
What should I do? Reattach it, or is it water slide time? If I reattach it, what do I use?

Looks there are missing parts from the insert art , so decal would be the solution here. But you will need to sandwich 2 or 3 decals to prevent the light underneath to shine through the art. You could also try to use a few drops of clear coat as an adhesive if you need to reattach the broken insert art .

1 month later
#7762 2 years ago
Quoted from Insanity_Falls:

Do I have any chance of saving this insert art or should I just leave well enough alone before they all end up looking like that old painting of Jesus that got restored into oblivion in Italy a while back?
Would like to shiny up the jewels above too, but that’s most likely waaaay above my pay grade.
[quoted image]

I would remove the art up to the keylines , and repaint all the inner card area white with an airbrush. Clear coat the whole play field, wet sand with 600 grit , apply water slide decal created from scanning the figures from a deck of cards. You can either use clear or white decal depending of the opacity you want. Try both and see how it looks with light shining below the inserts before a final clear coat. The S and H letters can easily be added last . Have in mind that the white you use should be consistent with the dull white of the rest of the play field and present on the ribbon that has the ROYAL FLUSH lettering .

3 weeks later
#7809 2 years ago
Quoted from joshmc:

Finished the playfield for Big Deal.
Not perfect but it was my first
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Looks fine ... you should be proud

5 months later
#8066 1 year ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

This process has been used effectively on playfields:

You can use a heat gun (as noted in tnis video) and set a playfield glass over a beach towel on top until cooled.
I can imagine buying a printed playfield image and applying it myself, then clear coating ovet it.
Not shown in the video, but you get the idea.

Well , this is a first for me !
In my recent Robo-war restoration I used pretty large area water slide decals to fix extensive damage on the playfield and while I was sceptic of the outcome , it came out perfect. This though is looks fantastic !!

2 weeks later
#8091 1 year ago

Is there an ideal final grit for decal adhesion? I did not want to polish the inserts incase there was a reaction with the decal adhesive but this also results in slightly dull inserts. In hindsight, going to 1500 may have been better than 800? Perhaps even polished?
Thanks

As I see it for a better adhesion of decal to a clear coated surface , the finer the grade the surface is sanded , the larger the presented surface becomes . the larger the contact surface for a decal the stronger the adhesion. So , logically a polished surface would be ideal for decal to be applied.

#8095 1 year ago
Quoted from CryptKeeperAUS: Also did want to reiterate I see overlays as a last resort measure. For many here I imagine it's a bit like sending DaVinci to Homedepot to get some wallpaper instead of picking up the brush...

In total agreement ! All the joy I get from playfield resto is using my hands , airbrushing , brushing , applying decals ...

I was wondering about this. But how do you deal with further clear applications?
My question being, since you want the next coat to get some bite, you would need to sand…
How do you sand the pf while avoiding a freshly installed decal…?

Others may think differently , but in my experience you can go up to 1000 grit without any problems with the clear coat.
Or as Vid Stated , detail sanding around the applied decal would do the trick.

2 weeks later
#8111 1 year ago
Quoted from joshmc:

Hi Folks
I’d like to buy a compressor so that I can clear coat playfields and cabinets using a HVLP gun. I’m just wondering what type of compressor I should purchase. The one in the picture is a belt drive, 50 litre tank, 3HP. Would appreciate advice .
Thank you!
Josh
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

The larger you can afford the better. I have a 50 Liter (?) and a 200 Liter compressor. The smaller one can handle playfield clearcoat but with almost continually running he motor. The bigger can clear coat a whole playfield without even starting the motor again . the big one can easily handle many air tools and also sandblasting if needed.
20200724_182813 (resized).jpg20200724_182813 (resized).jpg20200724_182835 (resized).jpg20200724_182835 (resized).jpg20200724_183511 (resized).jpg20200724_183511 (resized).jpg

3 weeks later
#8142 1 year ago

Waiting for clear to fully harden after a full PF overlay. So had a fair few layers of clear applied. Been about 40 days but the temperature has been about 60-70F most days.. probably colder at night.
Still too soft to do anything
Made a cheap hot box that will keep it around a 110F steady temp while on the rotisserie.
From those in the know, is it waste of time or will it actually help the process over a month or so? [quoted image][quoted image]

According to GFS "..the rule of thumb in the automotive industry is that for every 15 degrees above 70 degrees, a coating will cure about twice as fast (assuming 50 percent relative humidity). Likewise, for every 15 degrees below 70 degrees, a coating will take about twice as long to cure...."

In your situation even with 70 degrees it should be ok to work on in about a week or so. At least that is what I usually get with my coatings at about 80 F. Maybe your coatings are very heavy / thick ?

#8147 1 year ago
Quoted from A_Bord:

On a playfield with a lot of planking does it make sense to try to fill the cracks with a similarly toned paint before the lockdown clear so that the dark areas of wood don't necessitate a thicker layer of paint for coverage? Not trying to retouch before clear, just set up a better base once it is time to airbrush.
[quoted image]

It would be near to impossible to get an exact match to fill the planking. I would seal everything with a first layer of clear , block sand to 400-600 grit to get an even flat surface and go from there. Since the area is large , airbrushing seems the logical way to proceed.

#8152 1 year ago
Quoted from A_Bord:

That's the plan. Maybe my question wasn't clear. I'm wondering if getting some lighter paint in the planking before the first clear application might make my life easier when going to airbrush.

Oh I misinterpret the question.
No need to locally and selectively use white to lighten the dark planking before the clear .. is too much of a trouble. Lay your sealing first layer of clear , Airbrush the whole area with very Light grey , which might be a better choice than pure white. Also directly painting on the play field might bring you some problems later from temperature changing not having the paint stable b2in 2 layers of clear.

3 weeks later
#8182 1 year ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

My stargate has crazing and checking in the original factory clear.
Ive seen this on a couple Gottlieb games, it might be temperature or storage related.
The paint isnt loose or flaking off yet.
Im curoius if a sanding and re-clear can save it?
Stargate playfields are unobtainium for now unless I get one of the un-licensed German digital reprints (which look great by the way...).

I would do just that. In fact , the sooner the better before moisture and dirt can get to the paint underneath. My only problem would be the mylar removal. I did not had the best results when I tried to remove it on Robowar , but yours is a differed playfield.

#8188 1 year ago
Quoted from joshmc:

Hi everyone
Does anyone know how I can repair this kind of damage? It’s very superficial (not deep at all) but would like to fix it
[quoted image]

In agreement with what others said. I would sand , and use a dilute solution of shellac ( Shellac flakes dissolved in Alcohol) to match the color of the surrounding area , with multiple light layers of the shellac solution. After that clear coat and bring to desired gloss level with sanding.

#8191 1 year ago
Quoted from joshmc:

Is this what you’re referring to? [quoted image]

Exactly !
Did that in my Fast draw Resto.

7cca67dfd4631634abfe2803a35f90385179d837 (resized).jpg7cca67dfd4631634abfe2803a35f90385179d837 (resized).jpgec17224627c9e562e12972038ccf1e9bf14f1666 (resized).jpgec17224627c9e562e12972038ccf1e9bf14f1666 (resized).jpg
#8196 1 year ago
Quoted from joshmc:

Can’t even see the marks. That’s amazing. So you hand sanded with 150 grit then applied shellac?
I’m curious: how do you apply this stuff? (Which isn’t cheap btw)
I found the following instructions online.
Dissolve Shellac into pure methylated spirits (95%) at the following rate:
- 250gms Shellac in 1 litre of pure methylated spirits.
Pour the required amount of methylated spirits into a glass or plastic container (do not use tin or metal as this will result in the solution darkening).
Add the Shellac to the methylated spirits stirring constantly until the Shellac is fully dissolved. Make sure to filter the mixture to remove undissolved material.

You can apply it with normal paintbrushes. In my experience You can start with 150 grit, but get to 400 before applying the solution of shellac. The solution should be light , that is small number of flakes dissolved. That way you can apply multiple layers until you get exactly to the desired level,of how much dark you want the color to be.

#8208 1 year ago
Quoted from joshmc:

I do see it! So can I put the shellac directly over the clear? Or do I need to sand again then apply the shellac ?

Applying shellac over clear, from own experience , would not cut it. To resolve this You should , carefully , sand the whole wood area paying great attention not to remove any art. 400 to 500 grit would be fine. Then apply multiple LIGHT layers of shellac solution just to the lighter part where your problem was. you should manage to match very closely the damaged area with the rest of the wooden area. Now , in order to really make everything look the same , apply very very light solution of shellac on the whole wooden area. Pay great attention to areas that seem lighter and apply some more shellac there. The trick is to go light and multiple times. This way you will make the correction seamless.
A more "aggressive" approach is to sand the whole wood area until you get the same tone of wood , and then darken the color with some light layers of shellac , then lightly sand (500 ) and clear .

#8214 1 year ago

awesome thanks,
would it be wise to do this on the shooter lane of more modern game, for example a 90s (lol modern haha, like me) or a newer Stern...
I have to do a shooter lane soon, that is in really good shape, just maybe a little bit of black stains from the ball but not much, I have never attempted painting a lane like HEP does to 'camouflage' the wood, I just have zero knowledge in colour matching and looking at all my options. I am also terrible with colour, they all look the same to me.

Ask a girl ... They have all the answers
Girls can recognize more colors than boys !

#8217 1 year ago
Quoted from joshmc:

Sanded all wooden areas and then brushed on Oil Based Clear Poly. I’m still seeing a distinction between the ball path and everywhere else. I’m not sure if this will resolve itself when I lay down 2 pac clear after all the artwork is done. Damn hope so
[quoted image]

After sanding and before applying poly you should get an even tone on the whole wood area. Maybe more sanding was needed ?

#8229 1 year ago
Quoted from joshmc:

Resanded…. 120, 240 then 320. Then reapplied the polyurethane [quoted image]

Before doing anything drastic , why don't you locally apply shellac to the trail ?it is easier than trying to match colors with painting , if you don't like the result then just wipe the shellac away and proceed otherwise.

10 months later
#8486 7 months ago
Quoted from BMGfan:

I found someone! **** yeah! Saves me a ton of headaches (possibly literally if I do it wrong? )
Guy agreed to do it for $50Cad/coat that's what like $2US?
Now to keep plugging away at it.
Gotta finish stripping the top coat, build a box for the playfield to sit in, scuff up and clean the playfield, block off the holes/bag the harness (I'm removing all mechs totally but leaving the harness in place), and get it to him in a couple weeks!

best of luck !

1 month later
#8612 5 months ago
Quoted from BMGfan:

This was more or less what I did. Sanded to 400, Naptha x2, then rapid prep (carefully following the directions, I even set a timer), and then tack cloth (that claimed being silicone/wax free). Cleaning was done with standard kitchen paper towels.

I restored and cleared 3 playfields without problems in the clear applying section. after block sanding , as a last step , all I used to clean the playfield was lint free cloths ( usually old clean bed sheet ) saturated in naphta.
I wipe the whole playfield in a single motion from top to bottom. I do it 3 times with 3 different clothes.

2 weeks later
#8617 4 months ago
Quoted from joshmc:

Hey vid1900 and pinheads
I’m restoring a playfield and wondering what is the best way of getting rid of or at least minimising these small cracks in the shooter lane
I’ve already sanded but want to be careful not to take away too much wood and ruin the shooter lane altogether
Im assuming some type of airbrushing will be required
[quoted image]

Vid has a through guide on this .

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-to-ultimate-playfield-restoration/page/3#post-640071

1 week later
#8645 4 months ago
Quoted from joshmc:

I’m quite certain I know the answer to this but thought I’d ask just in case. I plan on restoring this playfield. It’s been cleaned with solvent and non solvent based cleaner. I clear coated it with two coats ten minutes apart last night however there are still small areas of the playfield where general wear and tear through play has resulted in some spots being lower than others. I thought the clear might have evened it out but it didn’t. I was planning on lightly sanding with 320 grit on the DA then shooting again

you can drop fill with clear the low spots now , before sanding , since the last clear coat is relatively fresh. Wait another week at least for the clear to set and then sand and recheck for lows.

4 months later
#8782 13 days ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

I use a small hand held twist drill to clean out screw holes and low pressure air.

One should emphasize - LOW pressure air - . It is really nerve wrecking to lift the clear at that stage.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 179.00
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 30.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 22.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

3,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Walnut Creek, CA
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 40.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider phototamer.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-to-ultimate-playfield-restoration?tu=phototamer and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.