Pinside_forum_1762038_386370 (resized).jpg
IMG_3141 (resized).JPG
PXL_20240304_203555066 (resized).jpg
20240301_160448 (resized).jpg
20240301_131123 (resized).jpg
IMG_2646 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3299 (resized).jpeg
20240129_160756 (resized).jpg
Screenshot 2024-01-25 at 17-10-29 Ainfox Patio Greenhouse Walk-in Green House Portable Plastic Mini Greenhouse Gardening Plant H
IMG_20200813_200658~2.jpg
Screenshot_20240122-092750_Gallery (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

143 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #7 Playfield damage assessment. Posted by vid1900 (11 years ago)

Post #8 Insert damage assessment. Posted by vid1900 (11 years ago)

Post #34 How to sand your new inserts flat. Posted by vid1900 (11 years ago)

Post #35 Cleaning old glue out of the insert holes. Posted by vid1900 (11 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jboner1058.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2416 8 years ago

OK, I went searching through this thread and couldn't find a good answer. I have a Phantom of the opera with the typical gold paint wear at the bottom, and around the pop bumpers, and all of the unmylared areas. I am restoring this one, and I really REALLY don't want to pull the mylar up as I have seen a phantom lose half of his face when the inks lifted. Is there anyway I can protect the parts without mylar by spraying a clear over just those spots? or will there be an issue with the clear not adhering to the existing mylar. Trying to get the best of both worlds

3 weeks later
#2518 8 years ago

Vid, what would you suggest for inserts that have heat warping above the playfield (think opposite of cupping) I have a data east pin and can't find replacement large inserts.

Also, does anyone on here have a playfield scan of Phantom of the Opera?

1 week later
#2560 8 years ago

Hey vid, I have no idea if this is cigarette smoke or not on the playfield, but I've tried naphtha on a rag, and alcohol with the magic eraser and just can't get it to go away. It's on every exposed area of the playfield of my POTO. Is it laquer patina? Any suggestions not in your cleaning guide?

image.jpegimage.jpeg

#2567 8 years ago

Not sure if the UV and peroxide trick would work without bleaching the paint, or also causing the wood grain to swell.

1 month later
#2689 8 years ago

I just bought a doxy flip scanner for my phantom restore. Works very much like the old hp scanner but only does 6x4 sections

#2732 8 years ago

Hey vid, have you tried naphtha and flour to remove Mylar glue? My phantom of the opera's gold paint DOES NOT like alcohol

1 month later
#2836 8 years ago

Vid, have you ever used a die cutter like a cricut to cut frisket? These patterns on my phantom are super intricate and I'm afraid to touch the playfield with my xacto

6 months later
#3500 7 years ago

I'm painting my wire ramps with deep red glossy rustoleum pro spray paint. Can I spray 2pac on them for extra protection?

1 week later
#3521 7 years ago

Hey Vid, what is the best gold paint for gottliebs and data east playfields. I can't seem to find any matches that won't react with clear.

1 month later
#3644 7 years ago

Just found a half bottle of mill wax in the coin box of a close encounters ss. It just needs some minor touch ups around the inserts and a couple inserts replaced. Am I doomed to use mylar? Will I be able to fill the cupped inserts due to the mill wax?

5 months later
#4218 6 years ago

What are the best drill bits for putting t-nut holes in a playfield? And would you drill from top to bottom or bottom to top to minimize paint damage and tearing?

11 months later
#5606 6 years ago

I’ve had older red posts leech color into the playfield

1 week later
#5618 5 years ago

Hey Vid, when it’s time to repopulate, what do you start with? The things that need to be hammered in like the wire guides? Then maybe the wood rails and then the big mechs under the playfield?

#5620 5 years ago

Yeah, ground wire and lamps are going to be stapled in first

#5633 5 years ago
Quoted from Moonbus:

For scuffing up those little playfield indentations and tight spots these fiberglass pens are great. Just make sure you give the playfield a good wipe down after to get rid of the left over fibres.
https://ssli.ebayimg.com/images/g/iM8AAOSwYXVYzoWI/s-l400.jpg

Those things are the devil. I still find fiberglass (and get them stuck in me) months after using them. A neccesary evil for borked up circuits and soldering onto lamp bases, but I would never put one of those on a playfield. You’d never get them cleaned out.

#5645 5 years ago

Hell no. Data East paint is the devil and comes off inserts under the flashers like it was printed on the Mylar.

1 year later
#6780 4 years ago

Has anyone here done any work on allied leisure cocktail playfields? Touching up my eros one and whatever clear they used is A: Brushed on and B: cant be cleaned with naptha because it gets cloudy. Had to buff it out with Novus 2 to decloud it. Trying to clearcoat it with automotive but afraid its either gonna react funny or not adhere right. I also don't know if I can even sand it with 600 grit ahead of time because of the brush strokes from the factory clear

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 22.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
arcade-cabinets.com
Shooter rods
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
3,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Walnut Creek, CA
$ 149.95
Boards
Allteksystems
Boards
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 10.00
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.
Sound/Speakers
$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 11.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
Electronics
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Navarre, FL
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com
Armor and blades
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits
Boards
5,100 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Louisville, KY
$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball
Cabinet parts
Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
$ 76.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep
Backbox
$ 45.00
Boards
PinSound
Boards
$ 55.00
Displays
PinballSolutions.eu
Displays
Displays
Retrocity
Displays
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
$ 8.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
Electronics
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jboner1058.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-to-ultimate-playfield-restoration?tu=jboner1058 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.