Pinside_forum_1762038_386370 (resized).jpg
IMG_3141 (resized).JPG
PXL_20240304_203555066 (resized).jpg
20240301_160448 (resized).jpg
20240301_131123 (resized).jpg
IMG_2646 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3299 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

143 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #7 Playfield damage assessment. Posted by vid1900 (11 years ago)

Post #8 Insert damage assessment. Posted by vid1900 (11 years ago)

Post #34 How to sand your new inserts flat. Posted by vid1900 (11 years ago)

Post #35 Cleaning old glue out of the insert holes. Posted by vid1900 (11 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider flugs.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#677 10 years ago

Salut,

I must have missed it somewhere.
I have not found a clear answer to my question.

I have my first EM pinball now (a Space Mission, which is a fantastic game).
Unfortunately the inserts are all sunken/cupped.

My question:
Could I fill the inserts with clearcoat until they are levelled again, or should I remove, sand and glue them in again?
I personally would prefer to fill them, but I do not know, what the better solution is in the long term.

Thanks for your advice,
Cheers,
flugs

4 months later
#982 9 years ago

Salut,

I'm following this thread (as the others from Vid) with great admiration for the knowledge and the time Vid is spending to share his experience and to help others. Simply great.

While I was reading all this, I thought that I should start a new project with some more work on the playfield than the projects I had before.

I have just got my Future Spa Playfield and my biggest concern are the inserts.
They are nearly all cupped and what worries me more is that the decals are starting to get loose.
I have studied the section about cupped inserts, but I'm not sure, if I could simply fill them with clear as described.

Here some pictures (sorry, but I have not cleaned the playfield until now).

Insert-01.jpgInsert-01.jpg
Insert-02.jpgInsert-02.jpg

If possible I would like to avoid producing new decals (I do not have a scanner available and my knowledge about Photoshop is practically zero).

Apart from this the playfield is not too bad. As far as I can see for now, there is only wear around lane switches and one bumper (although this could change once mylar removed and cleaned).

Playfield.jpgPlayfield.jpg

Thanks in advance,
Cheers,
flugs

#984 9 years ago

Thanks for the answer Vid.

I can clearly feel a "plastic" type something on top of the insert and when I press on it, I can here a noise as if it is glued (this is at places where there is no mylar). Is this "plastic" the layer from the silkscreen (maybe this is a dump question, but I do not know much about this)).

I will try to get the mylar off. There are a lot of places where it already starts to lift at the border, so I will have to do something.
If I will be lucky and able to remove the mylar, could I clearcoat the playfield or should I place new mylar?
Would you advise to push the inserts a bit higher prior applying clear coat or new mylar?

Thanks again for your patience,
Cheers,
flugs

#986 9 years ago

Salut,

When I said push the insert, I meant push from the back of the playfield, so they are better leveled with the playfield and closer to the "plastic" thing (there is some "air" between the insert and this "thing".
When you are saying "push the inserts down", I suppose you mean the same, aren't you?

I will make some close shots of the inserts.

Cheers,
flugs

#988 9 years ago

Salut,

Back from my playroom.
I should have looked better in the first place.
In fact there is a giant mylar over the complete playfield.
There are the marks from the original installed mylar, which is only present at some spots (I have a second playfield, which has much more wear and which I wanted to swap).

Of course as you can imagine the mylar cannot be removed without taking some paint with it.

So I will change the plan and will fix the original playfield (which has only mylar around the bumper and the slingshots).

Here some images:

Playfield wear 01.jpgPlayfield wear 01.jpg
Playfield wear 02.jpgPlayfield wear 02.jpg
Playfield wear 03.jpgPlayfield wear 03.jpg

The inserts are cupped as well on this one, but this can be fixed by filling them up with 2PAC.
I have started to clean it a bit to get the millions of visible impacts from the ball removed (I suppose these are impacts).
Once this done I will fill and level the inserts followed by a first layer of clearcoat prior the touchups.

Anyway, your tips from this thread will help me a lot for this project (if you have additional, please let me (us) know).

Thanks again Vid.

Cheers,
flugs

#991 9 years ago

Salut,

I made some progress with my Future Spa playfield and I'm planning to apply the first fixing coat prior touchups next week.
Again a lot of hints from Vid where helping me during this process (flour + alcohol is a real time saver for mylar glue removal ).

As I have cleaned the hole playfield with Magic Eraser (as I understood this is a bit like sanding already), do I still need to sand it prior clear coating or could I just clean degreas the playfield and apply the coat (I hope I have not missed the answer somewhere in the thread)?

Thanks,
Cheers,
flugs

1 year later
#2908 8 years ago

I can recommend Posca pens as well.
I have used them (different sizes) for several playfields (including thin lines) and have not had any issues with the clear.

6 months later
#3569 7 years ago

Salut,

I have probably missed the information, but what is the best way to clean the rollover (for the switches) prior applying clearcoat?
I do not want to seal the dirt with the clearcoat.
Vid always has a genius proposal for tools, so I'm hoping there is something making this more easy.

Thanks in advance,
flugs

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 22.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

3,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Walnut Creek, CA
$ 40.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 179.00
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 11.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 40.00
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider flugs.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-to-ultimate-playfield-restoration?tu=flugs and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.