IMG_3141 (resized).JPG
PXL_20240304_203555066 (resized).jpg
20240301_160448 (resized).jpg
20240301_131123 (resized).jpg
IMG_2646 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3299 (resized).jpeg
20240129_160756 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

143 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #7 Playfield damage assessment. Posted by vid1900 (11 years ago)

Post #8 Insert damage assessment. Posted by vid1900 (11 years ago)

Post #34 How to sand your new inserts flat. Posted by vid1900 (11 years ago)

Post #35 Cleaning old glue out of the insert holes. Posted by vid1900 (11 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider flashinstinct.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#533 10 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Sometimes you find that an insert has "a mind of its own" and won't stay down for the epoxy to set.
There could be some tension in the wood (maybe the reason the insert popped out in the first place).
To fix this, we use a 12" C-clamp ($9 at Harbor Freight) to hold it from rising above the playfield surface.
Knock the edges off of 2 blocks of good quality (flat) plywood, and clamp with 2 pieces of wax paper (in case any glue squeezes out). Don't forget the wax paper, you won't be happy if you glue a piece of wood to the playfield....

11.jpg 65 KB

How long do you have to leave the clamp on? I have a few to glue and only one c-clamp. I don't really want this to take 3 days but if I have to.. I will

#535 10 years ago

They're far apart, can't get them with the same clamp.

#548 10 years ago

ok so I bought the airbrush that vid suggested but for some reason the paint is not coming out because it`s too thick. Can I use paint retarder instead of thinner or do I absolutely need thinner.

Retarder makes the paint more liquid and is completely transparent.

Any advice?

#550 10 years ago

If I

Quoted from vid1900:Are you sure it's too thick?
Normally Createx shoots fine straight from the bottle.
Try raising your PSI.
Try shooting just water and see if you have a blockage somewhere.

The brush says maximum 30psi, and if I shoot water that thing sprays like a demon. As soon as I put the paint, I get lots of air and very little paint.

#552 10 years ago

Thanks Vid will give it a go. So far all your recommendations have help me greatly in repairing the slam wear area of my NGG.

#557 10 years ago

Yeah, I guess the airbrush I got from harbor freight is not up to par....maybe I'll get a better one next year . It did the job at 45PSI but I had to be careful and shot the paint from further away. Vid you transparent tray trick made my day. The yellow is matched at close to 98%. I think once the clear is on will be closer to 99%.

#562 10 years ago

wondering if I can sand the touch up a bit with 1000-1500 grit paper just to smooth out the finish a bit?

1 week later
#575 10 years ago

Well just a few knick-knacks left to do and this baby is going to clearcoating. Any final advice? BTW thanks VID this thread has been most helpful. Added a before and after shot. Lighting is not the greatest. The red is a tad off and for the life of me I couldn't get the pink to stay, it always seem to blend into the red no matter how long I waited after the paint dried. I had a bottle of fluorescent pink. I added a Smidge of red to it and still no pink. I'm still happy with the end result. This baby is not going anywhere once I am done.

before-after.jpgbefore-after.jpg
#580 10 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Did you add regular red or fluorescent red?

Yeah I used the opaque red but when I mean a smidge, I mean like the tip of a tooth pick just to get a bit of red in the paint. When I shoot it on paper it still looked pink.....when I shoot it on the red, it blurs in....

#588 10 years ago

Dang it.... now I'll need to buy this punch set. Thanks for the priming info Vid.

1 year later
#1877 9 years ago

Hey Vid,
I'm about to clearcoat my second playfield (WCS). Just got one question in regards to the rollover buttons (the red stars on the playfield). I'm wondering what to do in this instance. The clear will go in the holes but the switches are already a tight fit. Is it "ok" to sand down the inside of the red plastic sleeve afterwards or will it promote the clearcoat to flake and crack after a while? Or should I sand them down before? Or another option?

#1878 9 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Yes, you will need a layer of white down first, because I believe all the Createx florescent colors are in Transparent line.

Yes they are.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

3,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Walnut Creek, CA
Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 22.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 12.95
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 10.00
$ 179.00
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball

$ 40.00
$ 40.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider flashinstinct.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-to-ultimate-playfield-restoration?tu=flashinstinct and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.